Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » May v Corbyn: Who’ll go first?

Comments

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    If criminal charges are laid against those close to Corbyn or even Corbyn himself, that could be a game changer
    Repellent opinions should not be prosecuted, unless those who express them are actually advocating law-breaking.
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    If criminal charges are laid against those close to Corbyn or even Corbyn himself, that could be a game changer
    Repellent opinions should not be prosecuted, unless those who express them are actually advocating law-breaking.
    I think that view is considered to be a bit passé these days.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    felix said:

The Sun revealed that Mr Corbyn had boasted of a sharing dinner with Hamas in 2010 - despite their violence against Jews and denial of the Holocaust.

But the veteran lefty, fighting off an antisemitism storm engulfing his party, tried to distance himself from the controversy by claiming he did not remember the meal.

During a visit to Scotland in August he told reporters: “A takeaway dinner? I don’t remember any takeaway dinners.”

But new footage published by The Sun today shows him declaring the meal was “very nice of them and a quite a nice gesture”.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7170106/jeremy-corbyn-exposed-dining/

The Messiah seems to be doing a lot of his lying misrembering lark recently.

Early stage Altzheimers would get Labour off the hook.....
    I feel sure that Labour will achieve a Final Solution to this Jewish issue soon :)
    That will be at Conference.

The Wannsee Conference.....
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,026
    edited September 2018
    Halfway through Corbyn's first term probably.

Idiots like Batten have no idea how the armed forces actually work. eg 8 Squadron RAF while nominally being part of 1 Group actually reports directly to an American two star based in Germany.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Dura_Ace said:

Idiots like Batten have no idea how the armed forces actually work. eg 8 Squadron RAF while nominally being part of 1 Group actually reports directly to an American two star based in Germany.
    For how much longer ? Most germans want the yanks out.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    they have 12 shops

Homebase closures mean more.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Do they? Trump is working on it.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Geilenkirchen NAEW&CF is a NATO not US base. It's CO is alternately German and American.
  • Options
    So I guess Gerard Batten would have objected to D-Day as well given all those British troops under the command of a foreign general?

Also no one tell Batten about the Imperial War Cabinet.

Bunch of foreigners running British war policy.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Ken on Sky News - #popcorntime
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    He's been constantly touring the country on some sort of internal democracy crusade.

Tell me this isn't going to go somewhere. If it is possible Williamson would be worse than Jezza.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Dura_Ace said:

Do they? Trump is working on it.
    Trump will probably deliver what they want. Something like 70% of the german public dont want US bases in Germany any more.

correction checked article 42% leave v 37% stay.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited September 2018

they have 12 shops

They have more than 40.

But don't let maths stop you ranting
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894

Scott_P said:
    they have 12 shops

But Homebase just sells crap. Muji's crap is well designed
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    He's been constantly touring the country on some sort of internal democracy crusade.

Tell me this isn't going to go somewhere. If it is possible Williamson would be worse than Jezza.
    66/1, Ladbrokes. Spiffing value, I think; they really are mad enough.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    they have 12 shops

But Homebase just sells crap. Muji's crap is well designed
    and their stores are just as empty as Homebases
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Yup, he's mentioned Hitler.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

4 1/2 minutes to mention the “H”’ word.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

He looks like the grisly henchman of a Bond villain and is obviously compensates for being as thick as fuck with ruthless drive. It would be good to have a vegan PM though.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/ottocrat/status/1036934005101408256

It is the EU or the wilderness. That has ALWAYS been the choice.

Everything else is just Brexiteer fantasies....
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,907
    Scott_P said:
    "Jeremy isn't the only politician who was unfairly persecuted by his opponents. After all, think of Adolf Hitler back in the 1920's."
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884

Scott_P said:

Chesterfield Library tomorrow night.

Should be interesting.

Chris is a bit too left wing for me but I am in favour of open selection so I think I will pop in.
  • Options
    Mr. Ace, Hitler was a vegetarian.

Proof of the deviancy of such diets.

[As an aside, 'vegetarian' was rather more loosely defined back then. In the same way vegetarians now may eat fish, kidney could be eaten, for example].
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    "Jeremy isn't the only politician who was unfairly persecuted by his opponents. After all, think of Adolf Hitler back in the 1920's."
    Did he really say that? Or are you just taking the piss?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

they have 12 shops

They have more than 40.

But don't let maths stop you ranting
    Their website lists 12 in the UK

http://www.muji.com/storelocator/?c=uk

Costa on the other hand has several hundred and have been bought by Coca Cola for further development.

But I suppose that's a despite Brexit story
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I choose neither.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

Has everyone seen the clip on social media of Yasmin Dar, who came top of the NEC vote, applauding and lauding the Islamic Revolution in Iran?

Apparently this is normal.

Truly we have jumped the shark and smashed through the Overton window.

The Far Left and Islamists have a lot in common and, because the latter hate the West, America, Israel, Jews and liberalism, the Far Left consider them friends.

So not a surprise at all.

It's what explains Far Left feminists describing the burqa as empowering and turning a blind eye to the rampant misogyny towards and abuse of women in countries/places where Islamists are in power.
  • Options

And the story is about their European HQ
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2018
    Scott_P said:
    That article is pretty definitive (not least because it's exactly what I've been saying for many months!). Also note the final paragraph:

As for a revamped EEA seen as « an interim step » of a few years for the UK before becoming a third State vis-à-vis the EU, it would politically be even less realistic. Why would EEA members take the risk to open a difficult negotiation with the EU which could lead them to lose their current advantages?

Talk of the EEA as a solution is for the birds, even more so the daft idea that we could unilaterally fall into it, or arrogantly treat it as a one-night stand.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Oooooh

twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1036936425302835200

The Jewish Illuminati doing their thing again?
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Mr. Ace, Hitler was a vegetarian.

Proof of the deviancy of such diets.

[As an aside, 'vegetarian' was rather more loosely defined back then. In the same way vegetarians now may eat fish, kidney could be eaten, for example].

Er, no. Vegetarians may not eat fish. That would make them pescatarian.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, on the other side of the aisle...

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/1036937236984602624
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,550
    Cyclefree said:

It's what explains Far Left feminists describing the burqa as empowering and turning a blind eye to the rampant misogyny towards and abuse of women in countries/places where Islamists are in power.

I can remember (and it doesn't seem THAT long ago to me) when Far Left feminists used to do their nut about how women were treated in Saudi Arabia, and dress was a big part of their criticism. It's quite amazing to see the 180 degree change of view that has taken place on that issue for some people.

Ideology is not as constant as you might have thought.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Has everyone seen the clip on social media of Yasmin Dar, who came top of the NEC vote, applauding and lauding the Islamic Revolution in Iran?

The Far Left and Islamists have a lot in common and, because the latter hate the West, America, Israel, Jews and liberalism, the Far Left consider them friends.

I am beginning to wonder if political extremism should be considered a mental illness. I wonder what the treatment would be?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

So I'm guessing that a Jezza government wont be joining Trump on his invasion of Iran?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Surely McDonnell is favourite in any post-split world where Williamson could get nominated? Of course, Beckett might nominate him anyway, as a gesture of Derby solidarity...
  • Options
    glw said:

Cyclefree said:

I can remember (and it doesn't seem THAT long ago to me) when Far Left feminists used to do their nut about how women were treated in Saudi Arabia, and dress was a big part of their criticism. It's quite amazing to see the 180 degree change of view that has taken place on that issue for some people.

It's all in 1984.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Scott_P said:

And the story is about their European HQ
    which amounts to bugger all in terms of the other issues in the UK retail sector

and worse which is "could" story not a will
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Surely McDonnell is favourite in any post-split world where Williamson could get nominated? Of course, Beckett might nominate him anyway, as a gesture of Derby solidarity...
    The cunning thing would be to nominate him and then split off.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Meanwhile, on the other side of the aisle...

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/1036937236984602624

Rather quickly glosses over the border in Ireland question.

Which is unsolved and will remain so.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Chesterfield Library tomorrow night.

Should be interesting.

Chris is a bit too left wing for me but I am in favour of open selection so I think I will pop in.
    Appears to have unanimous vote in favour of open selections or whatever they are called at every one of his roadshows.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,550
    edited September 2018

glw said:

Cyclefree said:

It's all in 1984.
    Yes it is. I does make me wonder what other currently anathema views will be orthodox in a generation or twos time.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited September 2018
    EDIT: beaten to it by TSE.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115

Scott_P said:
    That article is pretty definitive (not least because it's exactly what I've been saying for many months!). Also note the final paragraph:

As for a revamped EEA seen as « an interim step » of a few years for the UK before becoming a third State vis-à-vis the EU, it would politically be even less realistic. Why would EEA members take the risk to open a difficult negotiation with the EU which could lead them to lose their current advantages?

Talk of the EEA as a solution is for the birds, even more so the daft idea that we could unilaterally fall into it, or arrogantly treat it as a one-night stand.
    EEA would be a solution but the UK would have to accept full free movement and much ECJ jurisdiction and commit to it permanently, we are not ready to do that yet and certainly not until immigration is brought down
  • Options
    glw said:

glw said:

Cyclefree said:

It's all in 1984.
    Yes it is. I does make me wonder what other currently anathema views will be orthodox in a generation or twos time.
    The other way around, abortion.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I'd want something north of 100,000/1 for him to be next Prime Minister.....
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Sandpit said:

glw said:

glw said:

Cyclefree said:

It's all in 1984.
    The other way around, abortion.
    It's Who/Whom.

It's most obvious in relation to free speech and tolerance. Out-groups advocate these things, but then insist on the enforcement of orthodoxy once they have become in-groups.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    "And what did you do in the war Pete?

I lost the bloody thing!"
  • Options
    I have been out this morning and on returning Ken Livingstone is on.

Will someone take him away for his own good
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2018
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

EEA would be a solution but the UK would have to accept full free movement and much ECJ jurisdiction and commit to it permanently, we are not ready to do that yet and certainly not until immigration is brought down
    It could been an option, if the BOOers and Leavers had proposed it and the referendum confirmed it, but it's not an option now - it's far too late to start the long process, even if there were majority support for it.

Politically of course it's a non-starter, given that Freedom of Movement would be part of the deal exactly as before.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
  • Options
    Corbyn was paid handsomely by the same government who pay some of their other agents to enforce these punishments against homosexuals:

Consensual Sodomy; 100 lashes for active partner, death penalty for passive partner unless repentant (prior to 2012, it was death penalty for both).
    Takhfiz (non-penetrative homosexuality): 100 lashes; 4th offense, death penalty.
    Lesbianism (mosahegheh): 100 lashes; death on 4th offense
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judicial_system_of_Iran#Hadd_crimes

How on earth did he become the magic grandpa?
  • Options

Corbyn was paid handsomely by the same government who pay some of their other agents to enforce these punishments against homosexuals:

Consensual Sodomy; 100 lashes for active partner, death penalty for passive partner unless repentant (prior to 2012, it was death penalty for both).
    Takhfiz (non-penetrative homosexuality): 100 lashes; 4th offense, death penalty.

That's the point of magic - impossible to see how it could possibly be done.....
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Cyclefree said:

This is also why the openly gay Owen Jones will need to stay away from rooftops should they win a GE.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

It could been an option, if the BOOers and Leavers had proposed it and the referendum confirmed it, but it's not an option now - it's far too late to start the long process, even if there were majority support for it.

Politically of course it's a non-starter, given that Freedom of Movement would be part of the deal exactly as before.
    A co-ordinated attempt to reduce the options down to, oh I don't know - Chequers?
  • Options

You can choose to undergo a sex change, as an alternative to execution.
  • Options
    Good article. My favourite line in it is "No Brexit is better than a bad Brexit"

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/gavin-esler-changed-my-mind-on-brexit-1-5644402
  • Options
  • Options
    felix said:

Cyclefree said:

This is also why the openly gay Owen Jones will need to stay away from rooftops should they win a GE.
    I am interested how Owen squares the circle that his man calls friends a number of groups who are massive homophobes.
  • Options

felix said:

Cyclefree said:

I am interested how Owen squares the circle that his man calls friends a number of groups who are massive homophobes.
    My enemy's enemy is my friend.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

I choose neither.
    You cannot chose neither. We either Remain (one option) or Leave (all the other options that are not "Remain")

Neither = Leave simply because it is not "Remain"
  • Options

A co-ordinated attempt to reduce the options down to, oh I don't know - Chequers?

It is the clock which has reduced the options down to, pretty much, Chequers. Ain't no other proposal on the table.

Of course that doesn't mean that Chequers is itself practical. If it's not, then as far as I can see the only remaining option is some kind of loose commitment to a Canada-style FTA, and let the car manufacturing and aerospace industries go hang themselves.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

I choose neither.
    You cannot chose neither. We either Remain (one option) or Leave (all the other options that are not "Remain")

I choose Leave. It was a false choice to say Remain of The Wilderness.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

I choose neither.

of course you can its called spoil your vote
  • Options

Because it seems #GTTO trumps anything else, no matter how unsavoury or previously unthinkable to a left voter.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

I choose neither.

of course you can its called spoil your vote
    *shrug*

Suit yourself. We will see what reality decides when the time comes.
  • Options
    Dont they know the system has changed?

No longer highest loser its a fresh election for any vacancy
  • Options

Do I detect the hand of John McD attempting to sort this mess out?
  • Options
    Has anyone watched the entire first season of Jack Ryan yet?

I have and I want to discuss one thing.

What the eff was that weird Las Vegas sex scene all about?
  • Options

Normally we rely on you to tell us what weird sex scenes are all about.
  • Options

Agreed WTF is Ken doing anywhere near a TV camera today?
  • Options

It is the clock which has reduced the options down to, pretty much, Chequers. Ain't no other proposal on the table.

Of course that doesn't mean that Chequers is itself practical. If it's not, then as far as I can see the only remaining option is some kind of loose commitment to a Canada-style FTA, and let the car manufacturing and aerospace industries go hang themselves.
    We don't really need a political declaration on the future relationship at all. There's nothing to stop the Withdrawal Agreement being agreed without one. Of course it would mean we'd leave and the clock would immediately start ticking again, but there we are.
  • Options

felix said:

Cyclefree said:

doesn't want to upset the block vote
  • Options

Normally we rely on you to tell us what weird sex scenes are all about.
    This was beyond even me.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883

I must confess I've always wanted the UK to rejoin EFTA and to begin that process the day we formally leave the EU.

Britain's return would revamp the EFTA organisation and allow it to become a counterweight to the EU. I also wanted us to negotiate Swiss-style bilateral treaties with the EU under Article 50 but that was clearly well beyond the wit and wisdom of this current shower of as Government which hasn't been prepared to do the working or the thinking to make it happen.
  • Options

Eddie Izzard status: crest-fallen.......
  • Options
    In a few years time, HS2 will have replaced 'White Elephant' in common parlance.

The head of the northern section of HS2 is to quit as it emerged that legislation to build the line to Manchester and Leeds would be delayed by a year.

Paul Griffiths, managing director of phase 2 of the £56 billion project, will leave HS2 at the end of the year. He is the latest in a string of senior personnel to leave the government-owned company that is building the line. The previous chief executive resigned at the end of 2016 and this summer a new chairman was appointed.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hs2-boss-paul-griffiths-quits-as-northern-section-delayed-for-a-year-dbh0jd3kl
  • Options

He's no longer in the party, so what can anyone do about it.

Of course, he is making it harder for them to overturn his ban/resignation or whatever.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    "You fucking bastards! You've stabbed me in the back!".......
  • Options

Talking about Hitler. What else does he ever do when he’s in front of a TV camera?
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1036949337744523264

Need to go to shops and get more popcorn.
  • Options
    Get your popcorn ready. Don't forget that the election of Willsman is opposed by MOMENTUM. On Facebook there were a lot of people publicly resigning their memberships of Momentum and asking how they get the traitor Lansman out.

This is why I oppose reselection UNLESS it is voted for by members via a trigger ballot. A democratisation of the trigger ballot is logical - have it one member one vote for all members of the CLP. But if they vote to reselect then no open selection is needed.

What a forced reselection means is that each CLP with a sitting MP descends into organise warfare for a couple of months as the cult tries to remove any Red Tory MP who has slighted them. People like Anna Turley or Stephen Kinnock would walk reselection when it comes down to actual votes of actual members. But the pressure applied and the hatred and bile will be awful. Yes, even more awful than the Downing Street / Boris war...
  • Options

No Deal......
  • Options
    stodge said:

I must confess I've always wanted the UK to rejoin EFTA and to begin that process the day we formally leave the EU.

Britain's return would revamp the EFTA organisation and allow it to become a counterweight to the EU. I also wanted us to negotiate Swiss-style bilateral treaties with the EU under Article 50 but that was clearly well beyond the wit and wisdom of this current shower of as Government which hasn't been prepared to do the working or the thinking to make it happen.
    EFTA is incompatible with a customs union with the EU, so what's your proposal for Northern Ireland, given that you've apparently done much more thinking about this than the government?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Talking about Hitler. What else does he ever do when he’s in front of a TV camera?
    Did he in the end? I haven't seen it.
This discussion has been closed.