Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Is Ruth Davidson the new Alec Douglas-Home?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946

DavidL said:

For many champagne is simply a sparkling wine. If the Californians make a good sparkling wine and want to market it as Californian Champagne why shouldn't they?.

Err, because (a) it isn't champagne, and (b) the only possible reason for wanting to use the name is to sell off the back of the reputation of the real thing.

I'm frankly gobsmacked that anyone disagrees with this. I can only assume it's an attitude of 'this is an EU thing so it must be bad by definition'.
    For me, nothing to do with the EU but I am not a fan of additional IP rights. We had that absurd case recently where the NT was trying to force a manufacturer of outdoor clothes wear because they claimed the name of a hill. We had the ridiculous case involving the supermarket Iceland.

Inventions should be protected and encouraged. Geography, not so much.
    So you'd be cool with a wine from Algeria being sold as Gevrey-Chambertin (as used to happen in the bad old days)? Or apple juice mixed with industrial alcohol being sold as Scotch Whisky?
    If the former brought the price of my favourite Gevs down, absolutely :)

More seriously, the second isn’t an IP issue, it’s a safety issue, surely?

On the Gorgonzola note - it simply is what a lot of people say when they mean gooey Italian blue cheese
  • Options

DavidL said:

For many champagne is simply a sparkling wine. If the Californians make a good sparkling wine and want to market it as Californian Champagne why shouldn't they?.

Err, because (a) it isn't champagne, and (b) the only possible reason for wanting to use the name is to sell off the back of the reputation of the real thing.

I'm frankly gobsmacked that anyone disagrees with this. I can only assume it's an attitude of 'this is an EU thing so it must be bad by definition'.
    For me, nothing to do with the EU but I am not a fan of additional IP rights. We had that absurd case recently where the NT was trying to force a manufacturer of outdoor clothes wear because they claimed the name of a hill. We had the ridiculous case involving the supermarket Iceland.

So you'd be cool with a wine from Algeria being sold as Gevrey-Chambertin (as used to happen in the bad old days)? Or apple juice mixed with industrial alcohol being sold as Scotch Whisky?
    I'm not certain I'd be happy with apple juice mixed with industrial alcohol being sold as Whisky. Can that happen today? Whether its marketed as Scotch or Whisky doesn't bother me in the slightest.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Anazina said:

Jonathan said:

On days like this you have to love Cricket. England have worked so hard, they deserve to be back in this game. India must be gutted. Let's hope England aren't exhausted.

They look set to end up with a similar total, but were 86-6 and 189-6. Amazing stuff.

Just got to get through till stumps.

Agonising viewing currently.
    Don't worry it is two nightwatchmen.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    edited August 2018

DavidL said:

The French are the most serious about this kind of thing.

In 1944 they refused to advance against the Germans in Boudreaux for fear of damaging the vineyards.

Then a young lieutenant realised the Germans must have been equally nervous about damaging the grape harvest - all their defences were in the vineyards of inferior vines!

More here:

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2014/01/wine-and-warfare-part-12-vineyards-under-attack/
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

I've addressed this in my previous post, but protectionism is a bad thing regardless of who's behind it. I'm not especially bothered, I'm prepared to recognise origin names as part of a trade deal. But I'm not prepared to pander to French vinyards without a deal. There's a price to recognising it and that is getting a deal, why you're prepared to sacrifice getting a deal and giving the EU what they want without one is beyond me.

I didn't say that. I agree that as a matter of tactics it might be worth pretending that we wouldn't guarantee to respect the denominations without a trade deal. There are also genuine issues about new denominations, and also getting ours recognised by the EU. None of that alters the fact that it's a good thing that consumers are not being defrauded by the misuse of these names.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

Yes a quick google informed me that a recent filing means that West Country Farmhouse Cheddar is an exception. Although as someone once said, adding the word "Farmhouse" to anything adds 20% to the sale price.

Yes, unfortunately 'Cheddar', 'Camembert' and 'Mozzarella' were considered to be past saving as meaningful names. So a lot of people buy what they think is Mozzarella, and are being defrauded; it might bear no relation whatsoever to the real, delicious, thing unless it's Mozzarella di Bufala Campana (the EU-protected denomination).

Protecting us from these frauds, as far as is practical, is unambiguously one of the really good things the EU has done, with zero downside.
    Lack of innovation and more expensive food are two downsides...
    By 'more expensive', you mean low-quality foods fraudulently sold off the back of the reputation of the real thing.

As for innovation: quite the opposite. If producers can't steal and traduce the reputations of existing products, they need to establish their own quality reputations - English sparkling wine being the perfect example.
    The protectionist cachet adds value above and beyond the product; it doesn’t have to be good, just from X.

It therefore puts an artificial floor under the prices that natural market competition would eradicate.

Bonkers. Champagne is a region, famous for its sparkling wine. Hence, by calling any sparkling wine champagne its competitors are trading off its name. Would you support the deregulation of, say, Scotch Whisky, so anyone can call their whisky, Scotch?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Jonathan said:

On days like this you have to love Cricket. England have worked so hard, they deserve to be back in this game. India must be gutted. Let's hope England aren't exhausted.

They look set to end up with a similar total, but were 86-6 and 189-6. Amazing stuff.

In order to be a decent nightwatchman you need to bat a few overs without getting out. Any evidence these two can?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Jonathan said:

Chortle. Very droll sir!
  • Options
    Ugh another over to face.

This is a class Test match in a great series.
  • Options

I've addressed this in my previous post, but protectionism is a bad thing regardless of who's behind it. I'm not especially bothered, I'm prepared to recognise origin names as part of a trade deal. But I'm not prepared to pander to French vinyards without a deal. There's a price to recognising it and that is getting a deal, why you're prepared to sacrifice getting a deal and giving the EU what they want without one is beyond me.

I didn't say that. I agree that as a matter of tactics it might be worth pretending that we wouldn't guarantee to respect the denominations without a trade deal. There are also genuine issues about new denominations, and also getting ours recognised by the EU. None of that alters the fact that it's a good thing that consumers are not being defrauded by the misuse of these names.
    Am I defrauded when I buy an Irish cheddar?
    Am I defrauded when I buy a Dyson hoover?

How am I defrauded if I voluntarily and knowingly buy a Californian Champagne?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

On the Gorgonzola note - it simply is what a lot of people say when they mean gooey Italian blue cheese
    Sorry but this is bonkers on stilts. Protecting the rights of origin is just good sense, both for producer and consumer.
  • Options
    Hurrah! Jennings off the pair!
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Sorry but this is bonkers on stilts. Protecting the rights of origin is just good sense, both for producer and consumer.
    So which American rights of origin do we currently protect?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,316

DavidL said:

Tbh I had never heard of Gevrey-Chambertin but on googling I see that it is a Pinot noir wine from a commune of that name. I would be happy for someone to sell wine of that name provided it was clearly labelled that it was made in Devon, for example. It would tell me, as a consumer, that it was a wine of a similar type. I would know that it was not the original now that I know what the original was. I could make an informed choice (at least as informed as my ignorance of fine wine allows).

I would be equally happy to have a whisky (even without the "e") sold as such provided it was clearly labelled that it was made in Holland. Obviously apple juice with industrial alcohol could not be sold as whisky because it isn't, Scotch or otherwise. Again, I get to make an informed choice.

These geographical restrictions are there to inhibit competition not increase it. They also hide a multitude of sins. Even I know that not every Chablis is particularly good and yet I am invited to pay a premium for it because it has the cachet of the name.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Jonathan said:

In order to be a decent nightwatchman you need to bat a few overs without getting out. Any evidence these two can?
    They survived this evening. Somewhat surprisingly.
  • Options
    Good grief.

Jennings has made it to stumps.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

Yes a quick google informed me that a recent filing means that West Country Farmhouse Cheddar is an exception. Although as someone once said, adding the word "Farmhouse" to anything adds 20% to the sale price.

Yes, unfortunately 'Cheddar', 'Camembert' and 'Mozzarella' were considered to be past saving as meaningful names. So a lot of people buy what they think is Mozzarella, and are being defrauded; it might bear no relation whatsoever to the real, delicious, thing unless it's Mozzarella di Bufala Campana (the EU-protected denomination).

Protecting us from these frauds, as far as is practical, is unambiguously one of the really good things the EU has done, with zero downside.
    By 'more expensive', you mean low-quality foods fraudulently sold off the back of the reputation of the real thing.

As for innovation: quite the opposite. If producers can't steal and traduce the reputations of existing products, they need to establish their own quality reputations - English sparkling wine being the perfect example.
    The protectionist cachet adds value above and beyond the product; it doesn’t have to be good, just from X.

It therefore puts an artificial floor under the prices that natural market competition would eradicate.

Bonkers. Champagne is a region, famous for its sparkling wine. Hence, by calling any sparkling wine champagne its competitors are trading off its name. Would you support the deregulation of, say, Scotch Whisky, so anyone can call their whisky, Scotch?
    I’m not in the least bit bothered.

Many geographical terms are simply used as shorthand.
  • Options
    You learn something every day. That people actively want to be sold misleadingly-labelled food and wine is something I never expected to find!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Tbh I had never heard of Gevrey-Chambertin but on googling I see that it is a Pinot noir wine from a commune of that name. I would be happy for someone to sell wine of that name provided it was clearly labelled that it was made in Devon, for example. It would tell me, as a consumer, that it was a wine of a similar type. I would know that it was not the original now that I know what the original was. I could make an informed choice (at least as informed as my ignorance of fine wine allows).

I would be equally happy to have a whisky (even without the "e") sold as such provided it was clearly labelled that it was made in Holland. Obviously apple juice with industrial alcohol could not be sold as whisky because it isn't, Scotch or otherwise. Again, I get to make an informed choice.

These geographical restrictions are there to inhibit competition not increase it. They also hide a multitude of sins. Even I know that not every Chablis is particularly good and yet I am invited to pay a premium for it because it has the cachet of the name.
    It is said (how truly I do not know) that Napoleon loved Chambertin wine so much he ordered his soldiers to salute every time they passed the vineyard where it was made.

I don't think he would have done that for wine from Devon...
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,792
    Ruth Davidson - I think it's unlikely anyone much would accept her being catapulted into the Lords, and assuming a cabinet role. I'm particularly skeptical that the PM would go for that. To then go further and have her waved through as the heir apparent and a clear stitch-up of a constituency so that she could get out of the Lords. I've heard some tales...

However, she can stand for Westminster. She'll probably win a seat, and there's half a chance that she'll get some sort of a government role - that'll be at best something middle-ranking though. She then has to do well at that (politically well). She has to convince others.

She could be the next Tory leader therefore, but that rather depends on May sticking around for some years.

Next Tory leader but one, I'd have her slightly shorter. Long odds still though.

The Labour equivalent is David Millband - it's almost unimaginable that he can find a way back to be the next Labour leader, unless Corbyn is around for a long time. Next-leader-but-one, slightly better chance.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

So, no arguments there then...
  • Options

Point of order – you have never bought the latter. Hoover is a trademark.
  • Options

You learn something every day. That people actively want to be sold misleadingly-labelled food and wine is something I never expected to find!

It's not misleading if its clearly labelled eg Californian. It's labelling both place of origin and style of wine. You can't protect styles.
  • Options

Only on PB!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2018
    Anazina said:

It's a genericised trademark. You can buy the latter in the UK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_trademark
  • Options

We are not misled if it is clearly labelled Richard, that is the point. Not labelling it clearly is fraudulent.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

It is said (how truly I do not know) that Napoleon loved Chambertin wine so much he ordered his soldiers to salute every time they passed the vineyard where it was made.

I'm pretty sure he would have liked his soldiers to have the opportunity though!
  • Options

Anazina said:

It's a genericised trademark. You can buy the latter in the UK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_trademark
    Wrong.

It is trademark owned by The Hoover Company and it is not "available to buy" in the UK. That is utter rubbish.

You cannot sell a Hoover unless it is produced by the Hoover Company.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27026704

"Hoover: owned by Hoover. Should be called: vacuum cleaner."
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    A deficit of 21 and 10 wickets, might be better than a small lead and one or two wickets down.

• Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I'm pretty sure he would have liked his soldiers to have the opportunity though!
    Good point!
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    DavidL said:

We are not misled if it is clearly labelled Richard, that is the point. Not labelling it clearly is fraudulent.

You said upthread that you'd never heard of Gevrey Chambertin. So if the name could legally be used by any producer of red wine, say a bulk producer in Bulgaria, then the situation could arise where someone tells you that Gevrey Chambertin is a very fine wine (which it generally is), and you might then buy the Bulgarian rip-off, not knowing that it bore zero resemblance to the real thing, perhaps not even being made of the same grape variety. If that's not a case of the consumer being misled, what is?
  • Options

DavidL said:

You said upthread that you'd never heard of Gevrey Chambertin. So if the name could legally be used by any old producer of red wine, say a bulk producer in Bulgaria, then the situation could arise where someone tells you that Gevrey Chambertin is a very fine wine (which it generally is), and you might then buy the Bulgarian rip-off, not knowing that it bore zero resemblance to the real thing, perhaps not even being made of the same grape variety. If that's not a case of the consumer being misled, what is?
    That is a fine example.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The Sharpham Rose is very fine, I'm told. Made down the road from me, on the Sharpham estate just outside Totnes....

(Also, for the wine drinkers, there is an exceptional Gavi for £8.50 from the Co-op of all places - the tip-off from the Co-op's wine buyer himself.)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760

I don’t think they’re saying that. When a product has a name that has become generic “Hoover” or “Cheddar” or “Champagne” then provided it’s labelled accurately - “Californian Champagne”, “Irish Cheddar” how is that misleading?

In many countries the market leader becomes the category generic descriptor - so “Huggies Pampers” for example is simpler to say and easier to remember than “Huggies disposable diaper”. In some ways it’s a sign of success.

What surprises me is your happiness at the EU insisting on resolving something that belongs in trade negotiations while refusing to conduct trade negotiations. You have been a consistent critic of their hypocrisy in this.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Wrong.

It is trademark owned by The Hoover Company and it is not "available to buy" in the UK. That is utter rubbish.

It's debatable. A number of sites including the BBC list hoover as a generic term.

A number are clearly-cut legally generic now, like aspirin in America or sellotape here. That article you linked lists a number of others such as yo-yo, thermos or escalator.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

A deficit of 21 and 10 wickets, might be better than a small lead and one or two wickets down.

Agreed. Enthralling day ahead tomorrow!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

The Indians do quite a few “Scotch” whiskeys. A Scotsman might describe the taste as absolute pishwater.
  • Options

DavidL said:

You said upthread that you'd never heard of Gevrey Chambertin. So if the name could legally be used by any producer of red wine, say a bulk producer in Bulgaria, then the situation could arise where someone tells you that Gevrey Chambertin is a very fine wine (which it generally is), and you might then buy the Bulgarian rip-off, not knowing that it bore zero resemblance to the real thing, perhaps not even being made of the same grape variety. If that's not a case of the consumer being misled, what is?
    It is. But it’s not directly related to GI - it’s “fraud”.
  • Options

I don’t think they’re saying that. When a product has a name that has become generic “Hoover” or “Cheddar” or “Champagne” then provided it’s labelled accurately - “Californian Champagne”, “Irish Cheddar” how is that misleading?

In many countries the market leader becomes the category generic descriptor - so “Huggies Pampers” for example is simpler to say and easier to remember than “Huggies disposable diaper”. In some ways it’s a sign of success.

What surprises me is your happiness at the EU insisting on resolving something that belongs in trade negotiations while refusing to conduct trade negotiations. You have been a consistent critic of their hypocrisy in this.
    Champagne has NOT become generic. Sorry that is wrong.

If someone says, "would you like some champagne? it is reasonable and normal to expect what they are serving to be, erm, champagne. Otherwise they would say, would you like some prosecco or English sparkling (the latter often being better than many champagnes anyway)."

Do you offer your dinner guests champagne when it is not?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,695
    Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

You can buy Indian made Scotch Whisky:

https://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2016/02/swa-wins-legal-battles-for-scotch-in-india/

I cannot say I was impressed.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

The Indians do quite a few “Scotch” whiskeys. A Scotsman might describe the taste as absolute pishwater.
    I was once offered – and drank – White Horse 'Scotch' Whisky in Mount Abu.

22 years later, I still haven't recovered.
  • Options

The Sharpham Rose is very fine, I'm told. Made down the road from me, on the Sharpham estate just outside Totnes....

(Also, for the wine drinkers, there is an exceptional Gavi for £8.50 from the Co-op of all places - the tip-off from the Co-op's wine buyer himself.)

We all know of course that wine from the Gloucestershire/Herefordshire border is the best in the UK as it is among the best in Europe.

Among locals who know about these things there is a suggestion that St Anne's vineyard in Oxenhall near Kempley is actually the best, rather than the Three Choirs at Newent. However, it's difficult enough to get the latter never mind the former.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Interesting analysis demonstrates that Trump's base is, essentially, the evangelicals:
    https://www.cookpolitical.com/analysis/national/national-politics/getting-know-white-voters

The Evangelicals who lost their money in Trump's casinos voted for the twice-divorced, serial adulterer who in the past was pro-abortion? There is a serious point which is that if Evangelicals did vote for Trump then it was not on religious grounds, since Trump offends everything Evangelicals would claim to stand for, so the label is misleading in this context. If Evangelicals voted for Trump it was for some other shared characteristic -- their states had lost jobs, or were riddled with prescribed opiates, or something else, but not their religion.

It was the same when they broke for Reagan over Carter: the agnostic divorcé over the guy who taught Sunday School even while President. Religion might provide a convenient label but it is not the important driver of votes.
    Unless they believed that he might not be an Evangelical but that Hilary and the Democrats were actively hostile to them.
    The anti-Hillary explanation does not wash for Evangelical voting because of that thing we all (or at least I usually do) forget, which is that Trump beat all the other Republican candidates in the primaries, almost all of whom would have been a better match on purely religious grounds.

That is the problem with most accounts of how Trump won. They concentrate on how Trump beat Hillary in the electoral college, while skimming over the far harder question of how Trump won the primaries to represent the Republican Party while being opposed to almost everything that party claims to stand for.
    Can you show that it was the Evangelical vote that delivered him the primaries? As I recall there was some evidence to suggest it mostly went to Cruz, and that those who voted for Trump did so in the belief that he was more likely to win overall.
    Perhaps. I backed Trump on the night but have no explanation, nor have I read a convincing one.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Wrong.

It's debatable. A number of sites including the BBC list hoover as a generic term.

A number are clearly-cut legally generic now, like aspirin in America or sellotape here. That article you linked lists a number of others such as yo-yo, thermos or escalator.
    What the BBC says on its usage is irrelevant to this discussion.

You were wrong. You cannot sell a Hoover unless it is produced by the Hoover Company.

It really is as simple as that.
  • Options

DavidL said:

It is. But it’s not directly related to GI - it’s “fraud”.
    I'm being told that the name shouldn't be protected. So the Bulgarians could claim that Gevrey Chambertin was just a generic term for a full-bodied red wine, and no-one could stop them using the name (which is exactly what used to happen - this is not a theoretical point).
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Anazina said:

Sandpit said:

Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

Do they still make that? I haven't seen it for years.

(The real one, not the rip-off.)
  • Options
    Anazina said:

If someone says, "would you like some champagne? it is reasonable and normal to expect what they are serving to be, erm, champagne. Otherwise they would say, would you like some prosecco or English sparkling (the latter often being better than many champagnes anyway)."

I don’t, but the number of “Champagne Receptions” I’ve been to that featured sparkling wine.....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Anazina said:

Sandpit said:

Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

Do they still make that? I haven't seen it for years.

(The real one, not the rip-off.)
    It was the Indian version. I hope for everyone's sakes it is no longer in production!
  • Options
    I am now getting pop-up ads for bloody vacuum cleaners.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    I also think GI's have negative effects especially as the products go mass market.
    So non-wine buffs can decide that they like a grape variety i.e Chardonnay because they have tasted various clearly labelled wines.
    They can be in the vintners saying "This one is a Chablis, do not want that variety, but this Australian Chardonnay is the real thing."
    Obviously Champagne has the world wide name recognition.
  • Options

Anazina said:

I don’t, but the number of “Champagne Receptions” I’ve been to that featured sparkling wine.....
    Well I am glad you don't.

(And yes, I take that point – and it's mostly bloody awful!!)
  • Options

I also think GI's have negative effects especially as the products go mass market.
    So non-wine buffs can decide that they like a grape variety i.e Chardonnay because they have tasted various clearly labelled wines.
    They can be in the vintners saying "This one is a Chablis, do not want that variety, but this Australian Chardonnay is the real thing."
    Obviously Champagne has the world wide name recognition.

Good point. I love Shiraz wine (which has nothing to do with Shiraz in Iran/Persia) but I've never bought a French Shiraz ;)
  • Options
    GIs belong in a trade deal:

Europe’s quest for supremacy in the gastronomic Great Game hinges on intellectual property rights. Each time the EU signs a trade deal, it pushes to lock its partners into its ecosystem of geographical indications, or GIs, which protect food names traditionally tied to a certain region, such as Bordeaux wines and Parma ham.

https://www.politico.eu/article/europe-eats-trumps-lunch/

Everyone else signs up to EU GIs as part of a trade deal - why should the U.K. be different?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    Anazina said:

I am now getting pop-up ads for bloody vacuum cleaners.

Could be worse

Twitter thinks i might be interested in people like the Israel PM
  • Options
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    Foxy said:
    Kipper to Vince swing
  • Options

Foxy said:
    Kipper to Vince swing
    The news is : there is no news!

• Options

Foxy said:
    Kipper to Vince swing
    Blue to Green surely as well as Yellow to Orange?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,010

Europe’s quest for supremacy in the gastronomic Great Game hinges on intellectual property rights. Each time the EU signs a trade deal, it pushes to lock its partners into its ecosystem of geographical indications, or GIs, which protect food names traditionally tied to a certain region, such as Bordeaux wines and Parma ham.

Everyone else signs up to EU GIs as part of a trade deal - why should the U.K. be different?

I have a piece about US trade deals going up this evening. I might do an EU one next week...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I have a piece about US trade deals going up this evening. I might do an EU one next week...
    That will be a short presentation:

'They hate them and break them at every chance they get.'
  • Options

Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

You can't say something is a Californian Chardonnay if it's actually a Bulgarian Reisling.
  • Options
    A surge in favour of a #peoplesvote

:)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

You can't say something is a Californian Chardonnay if it's actually a Bulgarian Reisling.
    No, because its not Californian. But you can have a Californian Reisling or a Bulgarian Chardonnay. One is the location, the other is the type.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

Foxy said:
    Kipper to Vince swing
    Sleazy Tories and Kippers on the slide?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

No, because its not Californian. But you can have a Californian Reisling or a Bulgarian Chardonnay. One is the location, the other is the type.
    Well yes, and the EU argues that Champagne is the region (hence you can also get Champagne brandy) not the type of wine.

It's a difficult balance to get right.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The US has rules on geographical origin, which the EU respects:

"An American viticultural area is a defined grape-growing region in the US..."

https://www.ttb.gov/pdf/brochures/p51901.pdf

Same for Australia , NZ and South Africa. You can't sell a wine as a Clare Valley Riesling if it isn't.
  • Options

Foxy said:
    Kipper to Vince swing
    Sleazy Tories and Kippers on the slide?
    It does seem that the frenetic polittical scrapping on PB is lost on the muggles. Its as if nothing is happening.

• Options

It's not a 'type', it's a grape variety,
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    In regards to earlier post I'm too lazy to find again....

I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that the evangelical vote was solidly Republican, who Trump represents, because of Supreme Court nominations and specifically Roe vs Wade.
  • Options
    I don't know. We keep asking for more information about how they would implement Chequers and he's already rejected that.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Well yes, and the EU argues that Champagne is the region (hence you can also get Champagne brandy) not the type of wine.

And indeed still champagne.

My recollection from my drinking days is that really bad, but genuine, cheap champagne is at least as gut-gripingly horrible as any of its inauthentic contenders.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    rcs1000 said:

Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

I for one look forward to the return of British sherry. Drains have never been cleaner...
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

rcs1000 said:

The US has rules on geographical origin, which the EU respects:

"An American viticultural area is a defined grape-growing region in the US..."

https://www.ttb.gov/pdf/brochures/p51901.pdf

Same for Australia , NZ and South Africa. You can't sell a wine as a Clare Valley Riesling if it isn't.
    People seem happy to see the existence of Clair Valley Reezling or Barosa Valley Syraz though. Passing off in spades.
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    edited August 2018
    Foxy said:
    Actually, a mad scramble for the doors to get away from Brexit.

And, a spending a few days by the sea in Bexhill.
  • Options
    Fox

There is indeed sod all happening, but we have to argue about something. Hence why some PBers are argueing that I can carbonate some Aussie plonk and call it champagne - full marks for trying.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Wrong.

The generic term for sellotape in Australia is Durex. I thought you would like to know.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I don't know. We keep asking for more information about how they would implement Chequers and he's already rejected that.
    When did they reject Chequers ?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Anorak said:

Bloody hell. John McCain's *mother* is at the funeral. 106! Born before the Titanic sank!!

https://twitter.com/VeraMBergen/status/1035549457234976768
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    It’s all about firehosing in 2018....

https://youtu.be/nknYtlOvaQ0
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

If something is a 'Californian Champagne' with "country of origin USA" on it then how is the consumer confused about the region?
  • Options
    surby said:

ydoethur said:

Within about five minutes of its being announced.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/26/michel-barnier-tears-up-theresa-mays-brexit-customs-proposals
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

If something is a 'Californian Champagne' with "country of origin USA" on it then how is the consumer confused about the region?
    Hegel says you find the truth in the whole.
  • Options
    New strides....
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited August 2018
    I don't know if there is a good post to reply to specifically on this but it is more of a general point.

The problem with pointing at Corbyn's rebellions is in the eyes of a majority of Labour members he was often right. To give an obvious example Corbyn's rebellion over the Iraq war is always considered a huge strength among the membership. Lesser ones such as his civil liberty stance over excessive anti terror legislation are also popular within the membership. I haven't looked through his entire rebellious record but I'm sure I remember Stepthen Bush talking about Iraq involving several votes (on which I assume he rebelled on each one) it quickly adds up and I suspect there is a reason his opponents in Labour just talk about the number of rebellions rather than the actual things he rebelled on.

I think I also remember Stephen Bush talking about him only voting against Labour 2/10 times during his most rebellious period, I imagine this would range from things that Labour members would approve of to things they don't care about.

The problem for Frank Field and the others that moves were made to deselect is not so much that they voted 'for Brexit' there are many more than the 4 who have voted for Brexit and will vote for Brexit. To give a somewhat popular on here (by the standards of Labour MPs who were for remain) example Caroline Flint, yet she managed not to vote against Labour on this issue.

What they did, as Danny pointed out a few times, was unite Corbyn supporters and strong remainer types (some centrist types) against them, it left them without any real faction in their CLPs to back them. I think the vote against Kate Hoey in her CLP passed without a vote in her favour, Frank got a few in his favour but it was still a pretty overwhelming result against him.

The idea from Labour opponents that Frank Field could stand and win against Labour in his seat is very optimistic I feel, he's in pretty solid Corbyn supporting territory, popularity among the residents of PB and the unpopularity of Corbyn and an MP who presumably is at least a bit more like him is generally not a good guide to what will happen electorally in Liverpool and places like it politically.
  • Options

I don't know if there is a good post to reply to specifically on this but it is more of a general point.

The problem with pointing at Corbyn's rebellions is in the eyes of a majority of Labour members he was often right. To give an obvious example Corbyn's rebellion over the Iraq war is always considered a huge strength among the membership. Lesser ones such as his civil liberty stance over excessive anti terror legislation are also popular within the membership. I haven't looked through his entire rebellious record but I'm sure I remember Stepthen Bush talking about Iraq involving several votes (on which I assume he rebelled on each one) it quickly adds up and I suspect there is a reason his opponents in Labour just talk about the number of rebellions rather than the actual things he rebelled on.

I think I also remember Stephen Bush talking about him only voting against Labour 2/10 times during his most rebellious period, I imagine this would range from things that Labour members would approve of to things they don't care about.

The problem for Frank Field and the others that moves were made to deselect is not so much that they voted 'for Brexit' there are many more than the 4 who have voted for Brexit and will vote for Brexit. To give a somewhat popular on here (by the standards of Labour MPs who were for remain) example Caroline Flint, yet she managed not to vote against Labour on this issue.

What they did, as Danny pointed out a few times, was unite Corbyn supporters and strong remainer types (some centrist types) against them, it left them without any real faction in their CLPs to back them. I think the vote against Kate Hoey in her CLP passed without a vote in her favour, Frank got a few in his favour but it was still a pretty overwhelming result against him.

The idea from Labour opponents that Frank Field could stand and win against Labour in his seat is very optimistic I feel, he's in pretty solid Corbyn supporting territory, popularity among the residents of PB and the unpopularity of Corbyn and an MP who presumably is at least a bit more like him is generally not a good guide to what will happen electorally in Liverpool and places like it politically.

Good post. I would also welcome if Hoey, Mann and Stringer also left the party whip.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

surby said:

ydoethur said:

Within about five minutes of its being announced.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/26/michel-barnier-tears-up-theresa-mays-brexit-customs-proposals
    I don't they ever actually use the word "reject". Otherwise, they would not be discussing around it.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Interesting analysis demonstrates that Trump's base is, essentially, the evangelicals:
    https://www.cookpolitical.com/analysis/national/national-politics/getting-know-white-voters

It is indeed interesting. One wonders what level of degenerate, adulterous, boastful lying is intolerable to US Evangelicals.
    The change in the polling of amongst Evangelicals think is and isn't morally acceptable since Trump clinched the nomination is truly astounding.

A cynical person might say there is something vaguely connected with racism and anti-abortion above all else amongst evangelicals and everything else they propose to profess is a load of shit.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Nigelb said:

The Evangelicals who lost their money in Trump's casinos voted for the twice-divorced, serial adulterer who in the past was pro-abortion? There is a serious point which is that if Evangelicals did vote for Trump then it was not on religious grounds, since Trump offends everything Evangelicals would claim to stand for, so the label is misleading in this context. If Evangelicals voted for Trump it was for some other shared characteristic -- their states had lost jobs, or were riddled with prescribed opiates, or something else, but not their religion.

It was the same when they broke for Reagan over Carter: the agnostic divorcé over the guy who taught Sunday School even while President. Religion might provide a convenient label but it is not the important driver of votes.
    It's almost like they prioritise anti-abortion and racism over everything else.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,012
    Ha Ha Ha , absolute Cuckoo she is a donkey of the first order.
This discussion has been closed.