Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mr Johnson’s fate might have been sealed when CON MPs decided

13»

Comments

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Keep digging, small man. One day you will wonder why Vote Leave fixated on this.

I know why. Because the idea of 74 million largely poor Turks getting free movement wouldn't be popular. Doesn't change the fact it was government and EU policy.

Government policy isn't always popular. Oppositions are allowed to campaign against unpopular policies.
    You are showing glimmerings of understanding the xenophobia underlying the focus.
    The fact you're not disputing the EU uses the words Joining the EU in that context shows you are showing glimmerings of understanding it's not a lie to use the EU's own words.
    No, it’s a clear lie. Turkey is not joining the EU. Only small men pretend otherwise.

Measnwhile, contemplate why the lie was told.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,445
    Scott_P said:
    Jeez, the amount of fake news this evening is incredible...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,452

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Forgive my ignorance but I have lost the POTUS plot somewhat. Are there any PB views on how serious this is for Trump?
    I'm changing my betting position.

For the first time someone has admitted their guilt in breaking campaign laws during the Trump campaign.
    He's got two and a half years to go.

It would probably take two years to bring charges.

It will take several months to even frame them should the AG do so.

I think he will survive this term but I think it's unlikely he'll be re-elected even if nominated.
    I think he'll be ousted the moment he tries to pardon himself.
    You can't 'oust' a US president Mr Eagles. They can only be removed following trial and conviction in the Senate, which as we saw is a long drawn out and tedious process.

But nor is it likely they can pardon themselves. So he would look even more of an idiot if he tried to do that, and damage his re-election chances further.
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Forgive my ignorance but I have lost the POTUS plot somewhat. Are there any PB views on how serious this is for Trump?

For the first time someone has admitted their guilt in breaking campaign laws during the Trump campaign.

I think he will survive this term but I think it's unlikely he'll be re-elected even if nominated.
    I appear to be in the opposite camp on this one. I think (fear) he will serve three terms.
    Hmmm.

He would have to amend the US constitution in under six years. He would have to do it without a grandfather clause.

The record for such an amendment to be passed is 203 years. Admittedly some have passed in a few months but they have been uncontroversial ones (e.g. The Presidential succession). Two term limits took four years.

I don't see how he gets supermajorities in congress and a supermajority among state legislatures in the timeframe needed.

That's also not including if he is re-elected he'll be 79 at the end of his second term and his program is already frayed with his popularity slipping.
    Two presidential and then one jail term?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,452
    Rhubarb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

I appear to be in the opposite camp on this one. I think (fear) he will serve three terms.
    Hmmm.

He would have to amend the US constitution in under six years. He would have to do it without a grandfather clause.

The record for such an amendment to be passed is 203 years. Admittedly some have passed in a few months but they have been uncontroversial ones (e.g. The Presidential succession). Two term limits took four years.

I don't see how he gets supermajorities in congress and a supermajority among state legislatures in the timeframe needed.

That's also not including if he is re-elected he'll be 79 at the end of his second term and his program is already frayed with his popularity slipping.
    Yes, that could work.

But could we maybe swap the numbers round?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,058
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

But nor is it likely they can pardon themselves.
    Wouldn't that depend on what the Supreme Court Justices think about the question?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

You can't 'oust' a US president Mr Eagles. They can only be removed following trial and conviction in the Senate, which as we saw is a long drawn out and tedious process.

But nor is it likely they can pardon themselves. So he would look even more of an idiot if he tried to do that, and damage his re-election chances further.
    Check out Section IV of the 25th Amendment.
  • Options
    Rhubarb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Hmmm.

:lol:
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/tictoc/status/1032006542059614210

Hilary Clinton? Lock her up.....
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Doesn't that require a majority in Cabinet? The Cabinet handpicked by Donald?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

It does but I suspect most of them will vote against the Don.
  • Options
    ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,507
    edited August 2018
    Scott_P said:
    Do you think he'll fly to Venezuela or Ecuador and claim political asylum?
  • Options
    Jeremy 'One Question Only' Corbyn.

Sounds familiar. How long before his supporters are chanting 'Fake News' at the BBC reporters?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

It will be one of those moments where suddenly the room turns
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Trump could pardon him.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,861
    edited August 2018

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

It also requires 2/3 majorities in both houses (quite likely if the cabinet have decided Trump is unfit).

Interestingly though: "Nothing in Section IV limits the number of times a President may initiate the process to resume office by sending a written declaration to Congress." How farcical would that be? Trump writing repeated requests to have himself reinstated!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Honestly, I doubt it.

But let's live in hope.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

It also requires 2/3 majorities in both houses (quite likely if the cabinet have decided Trump is unfit).

Interestingly though: "Nothing in Section IV limits the number of times a President may initiate the process to resume office by sending a written declaration to Congress." How farcical would that be? Trump writing repeated requests to have himself reinstated!
    Dear Congress,

I am a stable genius. What is your problem?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Trump could pardon him.
    I meant that Air Force Once files a variation of flight plan and keeps on going :-)
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Dear Congress,

I am a stable genius. What is your problem?
    In fact, I am the most stable, greatest genius ever - as everybody agrees.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,844

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

By Twitter, surely ?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    viewcode said:

RoyalBlue said:

Give it to the Russo Brothers or Tarantino

https://twitter.com/007/status/1031951674544476160

All good things must come to an end. It’s time for this franchise to die, and be fondly remembered.
    Nah, SPECTRE was one of the finest Bond films ever...
    Apart for the opening sequence, it's awful. Waltz is wooden. Berlucci and Moriarty are wasted, and the plot is Austin Powers 3.

The opening scene was excellent. Shame about the rest of the movie.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Honestly, I doubt it.

But let's live in hope.
    I can't believe they actually like him, they just suffer him. They just have to think that it's no longer in their best interests and he's gone. But maybe not by formal vote, that part seems unlikely.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074

Keep digging, small man. One day you will wonder why Vote Leave fixated on this.

I know why. Because the idea of 74 million largely poor Turks getting free movement wouldn't be popular. Doesn't change the fact it was government and EU policy.

Government policy isn't always popular. Oppositions are allowed to campaign against unpopular policies.
    Nor, whatever official policy, was it actually going to happen. There are no votes in [x] for politicians who sign a Turkish accession treaty.

For x, fill in pretty much any European country's name.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    No lawyer is going to prison for years without being bought off or taking someone else down with him. The only question is which.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Honestly, I doubt it.

But let's live in hope.
    I can't believe they actually like him, they just suffer him. They just have to think that it's no longer in their best interests and he's gone. But maybe not by formal vote, that part seems unlikely.
    Agreed - the Dems obviously want rid of him asap but the GOP get the benefit of having a Republican president still in the White House [at last].
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    Wildly O/T: I've been arranging a new landline/broadband contract. BT took 20 minutes to answer and gave an unsatisfactory offer. One of their competitors warned "you will have to wait at least 20 minutes": I hung up. The Post Office (who had the second cheapest deal on Comparethemarket) answered instantly. I didn't have all the info they needed, so had to bring again next day. This time it took them 10 seconds to answer. Nice people too, both times. Recommended!

On the other hand, Betfair, who suspended my account (reasonably enough) because I'd not notified them of my last change of address, (1) told me to go to a specified email address to discuss it (2) responded there with information on what I needed to do that proved incorrect (3) responded again with the correct info, but then ignored it when I sent it (4) when I rang the main number, asked me all the info again, then said it wasn't their department. Grrr.
  • Options

No lawyer is going to prison for years without being bought off or taking someone else down with him. The only question is which.

Trump can presumably pardon both Cohen and Manafort, can't he?
  • Options

Wildly O/T: I've been arranging a new landline/broadband contract. BT took 20 minutes to answer and gave an unsatisfactory offer. One of their competitors warned "you will have to wait at least 20 minutes": I hung up. The Post Office (who had the second cheapest deal on Comparethemarket) answered instantly. I didn't have all the info they needed, so had to bring again next day. This time it took them 10 seconds to answer. Nice people too, both times. Recommended!

On the other hand, Betfair, who suspended my account (reasonably enough) because I'd not notified them of my last change of address, (1) told me to go to a specified email address to discuss it (2) responded there with information on what I needed to do that proved incorrect (3) responded again with the correct info, but then ignored it when I sent it (4) when I rang the main number, asked me all the info again, then said it wasn't their department. Grrr.

Hang on, I don't think I've ever told betfair my last three addresses
  • Options

The 4 dimensional chess is for Cohen to convince Trump to pardon him. No court, no subpoena, and client-attorney privilege looks a lot stronger.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,230
    kle4 said:

Another ardent, young communist.

I do wish they would read some history.

https://twitter.com/stellarosssa/status/1031572095824785409

Nobody else has ever talked to people before. And no one in politics has ever cared about people either. What a saint!
    Twice! In three months!! The lazy git!!!

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,026
    AndyJS said:
    Um, no. Just no. That's a stupid idea. Like, you know the opposite of a good idea? Well that's what this idea is. Bad Telegraph. Bad Telegraph.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    It's not been a very good day for Trump, has it? I fear for his Twitter account.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    rpjs said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

That would require a constitutional amendment.
    There is a potential loophole but I don't think it's one that would be politically acceptable for anyone, never mind Trump.

That said, I think he'll stand in 2020, get the nomination and lose the general election.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    edited August 2018
    deleted
  • Options
    kle4 said:

They'll soon be leading their respective countries.

https://twitter.com/VP/status/1031988270954176515

Sounds like a dull conversation.
    "Boring conversation anyway! Luke, we're gonna have company!"
This discussion has been closed.