Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Last rights? Are UKIP set to revive?

13»

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,268
    Scott_P said:
    A union leader who actually cares about the members and their lives, rather than playing sixth form room postering over the end of capitalism. Well blow me down.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,311
    Scott_P said:
    Who wants their crappy cars anyway? England survived for centuries using the horse and cart, and we can do so again!
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Scott_P said:
    And the action needed is to move production to it's largest European market. Both Opel and Ford have not made profits in Europe for the last decade because they have so much of thiet cost base in Germany.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Who wants their crappy cars anyway? England survived for centuries using the horse and cart, and we can do so again!
    * Sunil utters a cough that sounds suspiciously like "TRAINS" *
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,827
    Scott_P said:
    Corbyn will get there. He's so close to power he can almost taste it, it'll soon be worth switching position as the gains will be higher than the cost. No one will be remembering antisemitism scandals then either.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

With the re - entry of Farage on the alt right and Boris facebook comments most ordinary people must be in despair over our political classes.

Why? There's a reason we are getting this type of thing on the left and the right - it works, and it is what a lot of people want.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

With the re - entry of Farage on the alt right and Boris facebook comments most ordinary people must be in despair over our political classes.

Why? There's a reason we are getting this type of thing on the left and the right - it works, and it is what a lot of people want.
    Is it though - I doubt it when push comes to shove
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,028
  • Options
    Dear God, the Cult are now going after Neil Kinnock.

Didn't he once punch the air and shout 'We've got our party back', after Brown walked?

https://twitter.com/Cornish_Damo/status/1030738375060475905
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

The only question for me is if it is a majority, or merely a significant minority. Either way, it hasn't happened for no reason. And of course as one side rises, the other rises to meet it.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    The constant bitterness and civil war now going on in labour troubles the soul and is really very upsetting.

The Country is in need of a Macron style figure and a new centre party to lead us all away from the abyss of hatred and intolerance but it does not seem likely.

Where are the grown ups apart from TM and one or two others
    You keep on spinning this labour civil war line... let’s see which of labour and Tories has the easier conference :)
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Scott_P said:
    #hyperbole people have been saying mean things on the internet for decades. Me and Sunil saw some pretty ugly stuff in the era of newsgroups.
  • Options

Didn't he once punch the air and shout 'We've got our party back', after Brown walked?

I seem to recall the leaked recording of a very empassioned, emotional speech he gave, I think to the PLP, not that long after Corbyn came to power. My most vivid recollection of it is just how committed he sounded to the party, and how hard Corbynism was hitting him to his core.

Now, many errant moderates may have been converted to Corbynism when the sky did not fall in during GE2017, but it must be hard seeing one's party in the hands of people you think are going to lead it to a bad place. I don't know how Corbyn and his fellows were able to do so for decades, given their supporters hate most aspects of non-Corbyn Labour governance.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

The only question for me is if it is a majority, or merely a significant minority. Either way, it hasn't happened for no reason. And of course as one side rises, the other rises to meet it.
    No doubt it will pan out in time and truthfully no one can have a clue in this febrile climate

See Labour are now telling Neil Kinnock he is a tory. They are stark raving mad
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_P said:
    Politicians should know never to be photographed in ethnic headwear.
    Is it ethnic ?

My first thought was Great Uncle Bulgaria.
  • Options
    notme said:

Scott_P said:
    #hyperbole people have been saying mean things on the internet for decades. Me and Sunil saw some pretty ugly stuff in the era of newsgroups.
    Note: the subject "notme" continues to have his delusional world manipulated successfully :lol:
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    The constant bitterness and civil war now going on in labour troubles the soul and is really very upsetting.

The Country is in need of a Macron style figure and a new centre party to lead us all away from the abyss of hatred and intolerance but it does not seem likely.

You keep on spinning this labour civil war line... let’s see which of labour and Tories has the easier conference :)
    It is there for all to see.

Both conferences will be difficult
  • Options

Scott_P said:

That might end up being a pretty fair prediction. Labour are in the midst of a struggle which has been going on for years now and which flares up occasionally and which, let's be honest, Corbyn has already won - that's why it's Corbyn (and work on winning the succession) or New Party, and it doesn't seem many are bold enough for the latter - whereas the government has a very big task to accomplish right after Conference, and have been trailing stories about challenging May for sure realsies this time in September, on a very fundamental, practical question in terms of Brexit (rather than fundamental moral questions for Labour, and moral questions always seem to be able to be put off).

If Corbyn switches his Brexit position to please the membership, what is going to cause a big ruckus other than the things they've had to deal with for years anyway?
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

No doubt it will pan out in time and truthfully no one can have a clue in this febrile climate

Let’s observe conference season to decide which parties most in civil war.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    No - but its a useful tool to shut down debate
  • Options

Foxy said:

Scott_P said:
    Politicians should know never to be photographed in ethnic headwear.
    Is it ethnic ?

My first thought was Great Uncle Bulgaria.
    My first thought was camp carry on.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,691
    edited August 2018

Just have to say I'm very proud of the morning thread.

One of my finest.

#LegendaryModesty

ETA ?

(I have to leave early...)
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

The conservative conference is after the Council on Ministers meeting when it is more than possible the shape of a deal (no deal) will be on the table
  • Options
    Big news in the world of religion:

People should no longer use the word "Mormon" to characterise the faith, the head of the Utah-based church has said.

Church leader Russell Nelson urged both followers and non-followers to stick to the official designation "the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints".

Mr Nelson, 93, said the move had been prompted by God, who "impressed upon my mind the importance of the name".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45236892

Curious it took until now for God to get around to impress this upon the mind of Church leaders, but mysterious ways and all that.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    kle4 said:

I seem to recall the leaked recording of a very empassioned, emotional speech he gave, I think to the PLP, not that long after Corbyn came to power. My most vivid recollection of it is just how committed he sounded to the party, and how hard Corbynism was hitting him to his core.

Now, many errant moderates may have been converted to Corbynism when the sky did not fall in during GE2017, but it must be hard seeing one's party in the hands of people you think are going to lead it to a bad place. I don't know how Corbyn and his fellows were able to do so for decades, given their supporters hate most aspects of non-Corbyn Labour governance.
    Kinnock spent hard years getting these people out of the Labour party and into the parties they really belong to e.g. SWP.

He must be gutted beyond words.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

People should no longer use the word "Mormon" to characterise the faith, the head of the Utah-based church has said.

Church leader Russell Nelson urged both followers and non-followers to stick to the official designation "the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints".

Mr Nelson, 93, said the move had been prompted by God, who "impressed upon my mind the importance of the name".

Curious it took until now for God to get around to impress this upon the mind of Church leaders, but mysterious ways and all that.

Not sure about that; it's a bit of a mouthful to say "The Book of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" :)
  • Options
    edited August 2018

kle4 said:

Not sure about that; it's a bit of a mouthful to say "The Book of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" :)
    God apparently agreed with you.

However, he added, the central text of the Church would still be called the Book of Mormon.

God was only moderately annoyed at the name.

(I kid of course, I actually have no idea why the book is called that or why it has been a nickname of the church).

Plus this way the musical doesn't need to change its name.
  • Options
    Well as I have just passed 15,000 posts and am near sleep time I wish to again send everyone my best wishes for a peaceful nights sleep

Last night we had a wonderful sleepover with two of our younger grandchildren (6 and 4) and it was an enchanting experience as ever.

Tonight we have our 9 year old who is now fast asleep, bless him.

The joys of grandchildren and the home filled with 'Grandma, I need you'

Good night folks
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    Goodnight, Big_G!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,712

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

The conservative conference is after the Council on Ministers meeting when it is more than possible the shape of a deal (no deal) will be on the table
    So either the Tories will be furious at Deal, or furious at No Deal.

At the Labour conference, it is the #peoplesvote debate to watch
  • Options

Well as I have just passed 15,000 posts and am near sleep time I wish to again send everyone my best wishes for a peaceful nights sleep

Last night we had a wonderful sleepover with two of our younger grandchildren (6 and 4) and it was an enchanting experience as ever.

Tonight we have our 9 year old who is now fast asleep, bless him.

The joys of grandchildren and the home filled with 'Grandma, I need you'

Good night folks

Good night Big_G!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

One of my finest.

#LegendaryModesty

ETA ?

Should be published by 5am.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,691

Nigelb said:

One of my finest.

#LegendaryModesty

ETA ?

Cheers.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

At the Labour conference, it is the #peoplesvote debate to watch

And how many turn up in Hugo Boss uniforms?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

However, he added, the central text of the Church would still be called the Book of Mormon.

(I kid of course, I actually have no idea why the book is called that or why it has been a nickname of the church).

They try to inhabit a place before Protestant and Catholic sects hijacked Christianity. Sulphuric clouds hang over beaches in such a place. Whilst humans hide truths for them to be found, God’s secrets remain hidden until the hours of his choosing. It has been noted by us.

As example, the relationship between Britain’s Jewish community and the City of York
  • Options
    Mohammed shows a flag of the Palestinian territories.

Palestinians joning Labour because of their anti semitism?
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

They try to inhabit a place before Protestant and Catholic sects hijacked Christianity. Sulphuric clouds hang over beaches in such a place. Whilst humans hide truths for them to be found, God’s secrets remain hidden until the hours of his choosing. It has been noted by us.

As example, the relationship between Britain’s Jewish community and the City of York
    The Archbishop of York seems to be a Corbynista according to a talk he gave which I attended.
  • Options
    spire2spire2 Posts: 183

he also shows a Pakistan flag,
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

The Archbishop of York seems to be a Corbynista according to a talk he gave which I attended.
    Yes. Of course. Yorkshire is God’s own country.

http://www.historyofyork.org.uk/themes/norman/the-1190-massacre

You see what the Germans done at this time was try to protect the Jews from this anti Semitic slaughtering.

Imagine there is no timeline. Everything is with us now, the hiding of the Jews from the crusaders and their vertebrae made into jewellery by The Nazis.

I have had Christians argue with me the fish drawn in dust by early Christians is nothing to do with Pisces, and Jews tell me the horns on Michelangelo's famous statue of Moses in St Peter in chains are those of the Devil emblematic of a millennium-long tradition of antisemitism, and nothing to do with Aries.

Will the cult of Hawking hate me if I say Stephen was not a scientist but a fantasist? But through all time a heart beats, not with anger and the Hate, but with peace and hope.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,348
    Opinium shows Tories and Labour virtually tied again (Tories ahead by 1), May marginally ahead of Corbyn as best PM (by 6), and significant minorities thinking Labour is anti-semitic (34%) and the Tories are anti-Muslim (27%). It'd be interesting to see the cross-tabs - I suspect the groups with suspicions are (reciprocally) predominantly from supporters of other parties, which would be another reason why there's so little movement.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/18/labour-suspends-ex-mp
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,864
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    I guess he benefits from importing cheap clothes made in low cost countries with questionable approaches to health & safety
    I believe it's known as "Global Britain"
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I've had a look at his tweets (https://twitter.com/Mohamme57953588 ). Is this the profile of a bot? Genuine question.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,014

Scott_P said:
    And the action needed is to move production to it's largest European market. Both Opel and Ford have not made profits in Europe for the last decade because they have so much of thiet cost base in Germany.
    Ummmm... Having German cost bases hasn't stopped other car companies from being profitable.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,010
    Scott_P said:
    FMC obviously don't know what the fuck they are doing. A short consulation with pb.com's motor industry manufacturing and logistics experts will soon put them straight. Build an airport in the car park, etc.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,010

AS is a net electoral positive given both the current and future demographics of the UK.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    If the UK is not bigger than the EU27 combined, then the EU27 is their "largest European market". And that's before we take tariffs into account.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

AS is a net electoral positive given both the current and future demographics of the UK.
    If true, then that's a very unhappy point. Political science usually neglects the baser motives (if we were all rational economic actors trying to maximise our income, Brexit wouldn't have happened), and in all the kerfuffle about Labour being islamophiles/antisemitic, nobody is asking "is it working?"
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    Dura_Ace said:

The Yougov polls I have seen show AS is lower in younger people and higher in older people so I would suggest the reverse of what you have said is true.

Although the catch is a lot of young people don't see opposing the occupation of Palestine as AS but hatred of Jewish people instead, which I think is where a lot of the confusion comes in.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Nigelb said:

One of my finest.

#LegendaryModesty

ETA ?

Has the new 5am thread been embargoed?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Dura_Ace said:

The Yougov polls I have seen show AS is lower in younger people and higher in older people so I would suggest the reverse of what you have said is true.

Although the catch is a lot of young people don't see opposing the occupation of Palestine as AS but hatred of Jewish people instead, which I think is where a lot of the confusion comes in.
    What? Are you joking? You are making a genuine and terrible mistake. Anti semitism means hatred of Jewish people, and has no other meaning whatever. That isn't a combative point, just correction of a fundamental error. Google it if you think I'm wrong.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048
    Ishmael_Z said:

Dura_Ace said:

What? Are you joking? You are making a genuine and terrible mistake. Anti semitism means hatred of Jewish people, and has no other meaning whatever. That isn't a combative point, just correction of a fundamental error. Google it if you think I'm wrong.
    I think the Jezziah might have meant two separate clauses:
    "a lot of young people don't see opposing the occupation of Palestine as AS"
    and
    "a lot of young people see AS as being hatred of Jewish people."

But in line with his party and its leader, he misspoke ...
This discussion has been closed.