Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Last rights? Are UKIP set to revive?

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Foxy said:

I'm of the view the public are getting tired of excitement (in this country at least) and politics will calm down over the next few years.

The end of austerity is an underestimated and underanalysed thing.

The culture wars are here to stay, I'm afraid. It's only when both sides gain the self awareness to realise that they feed off each other that that will calm down too.

At the moment they both enjoy stoking the flames far too much.

I don't think austerity is anywhere near ended though.

The issue is not just Brexit, inflation, trade war or anaemic growth, though all these may well prove to be factors. The main issue is demographics, with an ageing population. There are a million more over 65's than there were in 2010. Austerity is here to stay.

I was at a planning meeting at work this week. Unfillable vacancies, Rota gaps, growing waiting lists, an Emergency dept bursting at the seams, no beds for admissions even in August, an unfunded pay rise for some staff busting the budget and discontent from others who didn't get a rise. It was really a pretty grim meeting. It's not just me eyeing the exit.
    There are certainly challenges and there will always be extra calls on the public purse, but wwe ar approaching the point where the Government stops making strategic cuts and starting to choose where to invest instead.

That will have an effect on the political debate.
    I'm with the good Doctor on this. We've had a hell of a difficult summer and that is without any really major incidents. We just don't have enough resources to cope with much more than a couple of largish jobs in the county at once. A flat fire in the city, maybe be a combine setting fire to a field at the same time in one of the rural patches and a serious RTC on the motorway happening simultaneously, and we're getting pumps in from other counties in to cover our stations, which means that they have to call on other counties if things kick off back home. Luckily, I'm on the wind down.
    Strikes me as a real problem

There is a lot of money being spent on things like working tax credits. More important is making sure that capacity building in fundamental services is sufficient. Things like fire service are things that only the government can do

As always a lot comes down to housing. Fix that and rents come down helping with non productive spending
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    edited August 2018
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

I'm of the view the public are getting tired of excitement (in this country at least) and politics will calm down over the next few years.

The end of austerity is an underestimated and underanalysed th

The culture wars are here to stay, I'm afraid. It's only when both sides gain the self awareness to realise that they feed off each other that that will calm down too.

The issue is not just Brexit, inflation, trade war or anaemic growth, though all these may well prove to be factors. The main issue is demographics, with an ageing population. There are a million more over 65's than there were in 2010. Austerity is here to stay.

I was at a planning meeting at work this week. Unfillable vacancies, Rota gaps, growing waiting lists, an Emergency dept bursting at the seams, no beds for admissions even in August, an unfunded pay rise for some staff busting the budget and discontent from others who didn't get a rise. It was really a pretty grim meeting. It's not just me eyeing the exit.
    There are certainly challenges and there will always be extra calls on the public purse, but wwe ar approaching the point where the Government stops making strategic cuts and starting to choose where to invest instead.

I'm with the good Doctor on this. We've had a hell of a difficult summer and that is without any really major incidents. We just don't have enough resources to cope with much more than a couple of largish jobs in the county at once. A flat fire in the city, maybe be a combine setting fire to a field at the same time in one of the rural patches and a serious RTC on the motorway happening simultaneously, and we're getting pumps in from other counties in to cover our stations, which means that they have to call on other counties if things kick off back home. Luckily, I'm on the wind down.

There is a lot of money being spent on things like working tax credits. More important is making sure that capacity building in fundamental services is sufficient. Things like fire service are things that only the government can do

As always a lot comes down to housing. Fix that and rents come down helping with non productive spending
    +1

The introduction of tax credits was a Brownian boon to both business and the electorate at the same time. It makes little economic sense, given how the bill and the economy has grown, especially with regard to employment figures. Tory backbenchers should have had more backbone when there was a suggestion it should be cut.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    surby said:

I do not think Boris will be seen within a Country mile of Farage or Banks

Also will be interesting to see if Farage is met with counter demonstrations fromthe left

Who was the Prussian aristocrat who thought he could ride the tiger that was Hitler?
    I am sure you are making a point but it is a bit beyond my uncomplicated mind !!!!!
    Sorry, Mr G. Hitler lost votes in the last democratic election in Weimar Germany, but was put into power as a result of wheeling and dealing by von Papen, a Prussian aristocrat who’thought he could control Hitler”!

The French ambassador at about that time is quoted as saying that von Papen 'enjoyed the peculiarity of being taken seriously by neither his friends nor his enemies. He was reputed to be superficial, blundering, untrue, ambitious, vain, crafty and an intriguer’
    According to Time magazine.
    What makes me think of Boris?
    I thought his votes went up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_federal_election,_March_1933
    That was after Hitler had been appointed Chancellor on 30th January 1933 - by which time he and Goebbels had the resources of the state behind them. In 1932 , there had been two Federal Elections and the Nazis lost quite a bit of ground in the Autumn poll compared with the elections held earlier that year.Tragic to think that Hitler was given power just at the moment his party appeared to be losing momentum.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014
    justin124 said:

surby said:

Also will be interesting to see if Farage is met with counter demonstrations fromthe left

Who was the Prussian aristocrat who thought he could ride the tiger that was Hitler?
    I am sure you are making a point but it is a bit beyond my uncomplicated mind !!!!!
    Sorry, Mr G. Hitler lost votes in the last democratic election in Weimar Germany, but was put into power as a result of wheeling and dealing by von Papen, a Prussian aristocrat who’thought he could control Hitler”!

The French ambassador at about that time is quoted as saying that von Papen 'enjoyed the peculiarity of being taken seriously by neither his friends nor his enemies. He was reputed to be superficial, blundering, untrue, ambitious, vain, crafty and an intriguer’

That was after Hitler had been appointed Chancellor on 30th January 1933 - by which time he and Goebbels had the resources of the state behind them. In 1932 , there had been two Federal Elections and the Nazis lost quite a bit of ground in the Autumn poll compared with the elections held earlier that year.Tragic to think that Hitler was given power just at the moment his party appeared to be losing momentum.
    Re-reading it was struck by the similarity, as posted upthread between Boris and von Papen. Fortunately I dont THINK Farage has the electoral backing to be Hitler.
    Although history, ’tis said, repeats itslf twice.......
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227

justin124 said:

surby said:

Re-reading it was struck by the similarity, as posted upthread between Boris and von Papen. Fortunately I dont THINK Farage has the electoral backing to be Hitler.
    I consider the November elections in the US very important. There are shades of 1933 there now.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    The guys on the lead picture look like utter bellends.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    surby said:

justin124 said:

surby said:

I consider the November elections in the US very important. There are shades of 1933 there now.
    A touch hyperbolic, don’t you think?
  • Options
    Anazina said:

That’s why Meeks used it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

surby said:

justin124 said:

surby said:

No.
  • Options
    surby said:

RobD said:

surby said:

justin124 said:

surby said:

No.
    I’ll let you know when I spot the brown shirts intimidating voters.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,029
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Stopping the fats cats stuffing their pockets every year would do far more than taking tax credits away. The rich elite are taking money out of circulation and the country / economy given they avoid / evade tax at every opportunity and put it in tax havens, whereas people on tax credits spend all they get locally trying to live.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Anazina said:

I chose the picture for this thread.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

RobD said:

Anazina said:

I chose the picture for this thread.
    What have an aerial view of the Tour de France and the lead picture of this thread got in common?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048
    Anazina said:

Do they really? Remove the poster, and they could be just a normal group of people. Life isn't all supermodels, and such photographs rarely bring out the best in people. From their expressions, I'm guessing they were all staring into the sun as well.
  • Options
    surby said:

RobD said:

surby said:

justin124 said:

surby said:

No.
    Yes
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Anazina said:

Do they really? Remove the poster, and they could be just a normal group of people. Life isn't all supermodels, and such photographs rarely bring out the best in people. From their expressions, I'm guessing they were all staring into the sun as well.
    Seriously beg to differ about that.
  • Options

Anazina said:

The sun never shines on racist, xenophobic little Englanders.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Britain Elects
    @britainelects
    Aug 17

Westminster voting intention:

CON: 40% (-)
    LAB: 39% (+1)
    LDEM: 9% (-)
    UKIP: 4% (+1)
    GRN: 3% (-)

via @KantarPublic, 09 - 13 Aug
    Chgs. w/ 09 Jul
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

Mr. NorthWales, I'm pretty sure it'd serve Farage well.

The demonstrations will attract more media attention, and consist largely of middle class metropolitan types from London, whereas Farage's power base comes from the working class, particularly from England (outside of London). The contrast will also help him.

May is a terrible communicator. Corbyn sounds nice and is a good campaigner, but has an irascible temper and a bad habit of accidentally sharing stages with people of a dubious nature.

Farage has many flaws, but he is a strong political communicator. After a couple of years of May's capitulation and prevarication and Corbyn's wishy-washy nonsense, there'll be, I suspect, a willing audience for Farage's brand of "Standing up for Britain" rhetoric (which is nice if you like slogans but rather lacking if you want a policy).

If UKIP or an ersatz equivalent suddenly returned, it'd make the next election even trickier to call.

Good reasoning but Brexit is coming to a head in the next few months and once a deal or no deal is achieved I would expect there will be a collective sigh of relief and other things will rise to the top of the political agenda.

The next election if it is 2022 will be in a very different climate
    If we are headed for a no deal Brexit I doubt there will be a "collective sigh of relief". If Farage shows his face in our neck of the woods I think I will find myself out on the streets protesting for the first time in nearly 50 years!
  • Options
    felix said:

Britain Elects
    @britainelects
    Aug 17

Westminster voting intention:

CON: 40% (-)
    LAB: 39% (+1)
    LDEM: 9% (-)
    UKIP: 4% (+1)
    GRN: 3% (-)

via @KantarPublic, 09 - 13 Aug
    Chgs. w/ 09 Jul

Small Hodge bounce.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Anazina said:

How do we know what you look like.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Stopping the fats cats stuffing their pockets every year would do far more than taking tax credits away. The rich elite are taking money out of circulation and the country / economy given they avoid / evade tax at every opportunity and put it in tax havens, whereas people on tax credits spend all they get locally trying to live.
    I wouldn’t use the same emotive language as you, but I agree with the substance of what you are saying. Too many people see tax as something to be avoided rather than the contribution we all make to a stable and attractive society
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I guess he benefits from importing cheap clothes made in low cost countries with questionable approaches to health & safety
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    Shalom, I have Israeli bonds being advertised to me on the site now !
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I guess he doesn't want to be a dollar shop John Dean.
  • Options
    RobD said:

surby said:

justin124 said:

surby said:

Possibly but I am pretty sure that Trump would ban the opposition press if he could. I think many of his political instincts are dictatorial but he is smart enough at the moment to know he couldn't get away with it. Unconstrained I genuinely dread to think what he would do.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Will be very funny to see Trump trying to describe his conviction and jailing as FAKE NEWS.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    I guess he benefits from importing cheap clothes made in low cost countries with questionable approaches to health & safety
    Also the market that made Superdry an international business was Japan.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    Uncannily similar to John Dyson then , who does not produce anything in the UK and wants duties to go down on imports of.......vacuum cleaners.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Will be very funny to see Trump trying to describe his conviction and jailing as FAKE NEWS.
    Pence will pardon him - there is precedent.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,268
    edited August 2018
    https://twitter.com/mrwtch/status/1030840956054978565

I humbly suggest she just leaves. There are other parties.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,712
    edited August 2018
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    It seems that you are right, but surely importing from India easily is the point of Brexit?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/119764/superbad/
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Anazina said:

Which bit? ;)
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,306
    surby said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    Uncannily similar to John Dyson then , who does not produce anything in the UK and wants duties to go down on imports of.......vacuum cleaners.
    D'you mean James Dyson?
  • Options
    I sometimes wonder whether she will be the one who brings him down.
  • Options
    surby said:

Scott_P said:
    But will he pardon him for thirty pence? Or just one?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

surby said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    D'you mean James Dyson?
    Nah, John Dyson of Sutherland Avenue, Whitley Bay. He's unemployed, and has a dubious and rather unhealthy fixation with vacuum cleaner attachments that he has to renew regularly.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

RobD said:

surby said:

justin124 said:

surby said:

Possibly but I am pretty sure that Trump would ban the opposition press if he could. I think many of his political instincts are dictatorial but he is smart enough at the moment to know he couldn't get away with it. Unconstrained I genuinely dread to think what he would do.
    The US constitution is way, way stronger than the Weimar Republic.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

surby said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    D'you mean James Dyson?
    Nah, John Dyson of Sutherland Avenue, Whitley Bay. He's unemployed, and has a dubious and rather unhealthy fixation with vacuum cleaner attachments that he has to renew regularly.
    With? Or to?

Because I have a strange image in my mind at this moment...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

surby said:

Scott_P said:
    Who cares, as long as he is no longer in the Oval Office.
  • Options

I sometimes wonder whether she will be the one who brings him down.
    Surely Trump married her because she got him up?

I'll get my coat...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

surby said:

Scott_P said:
    Who cares, as long as he is no longer in the Oval Office.
    If Pence replaces him I think we will all care very quickly.
  • Options
    And he’s going to get re elected, so put that in your peace pipe and smoke it.

This is how it pans out.

1. The argument is put that Trumpconomics is mad bad and dangerous, and certain to be the ruin of everything.

2. The counter argument is put that, hey, everything seems to be going okay at the moment.

3. Trump wins.

4. Bill Clinton pops up and says, it’s the economy stupid.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,827
    I'd think some things are not worth fighting for when the cost becomes too much, particularly if they are not the only option out there and it is ultimately just a political club, but each to their own, she must be very committed to whatever Labour ideals she sees at the heart of the party and if people want to fight that's their choice. The strength of its brand is quite amazing, even acknowledging the difficulty of forming new options, even if desired, does help people stick to a brand.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

surby said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    D'you mean James Dyson?
    Vacuum cleaners really suck!
  • Options
    surby said:

Scott_P said:
    Of course, Trump reckons he has the power to pardon himself anyway

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/06/04/politics/donald-trump-pardon-tweet/index.html
  • Options

ydoethur said:

surby said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    D'you mean James Dyson?
    Superior models also blow if you press the right buttons. We called ours Monica.

Hope you enjoyed your train riding in Wales. The day you went on the Conwy Valley line I was doing the North Wales coast line to Holyhead.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

surby said:

Scott_P said:

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/06/04/politics/donald-trump-pardon-tweet/index.html
    Now if he attempts to pardon himself and is prosecuted for perverting the course of justice the world really will run out of popcorn.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

surby said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    D'you mean James Dyson?
    With? Or to?

Because I have a strange image in my mind at this moment...
    That was my intent. ;)
  • Options

What an optimistic view of things, goodness knows how you've managed to maintain that sunny attitude! I hope you are right, but I'm not holding my breath - austerity is not what it was, but things are still tight, there's bound to be some economic downturn sooner or later, we've seen in recent months how bitter and toxic Brexit still is, and why the transition period (if we even get to that) would calm things down I do not know.
  • Options
    surby said:

Scott_P said:
    It is interesting to compare Trump to the quiet dignity of Jimmy Carter. Now there was a real outsider. Read this touching description of him and despair over how America has degenerated in integrity over 4 decades:

https://twitter.com/StigAbell/status/1030801290337640448?s=19
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Essexit said:

surby said:

Didn't expect solidarity with Hamas from your direction, but I'm sure those lads will take what they can get.

Were you under the misapprehension that Hamas weren't in conflict with Israel? I have never claimed otherwise. Of course the Arabs started it, Hamas's refusal to recognise Israel's right to exist traces back uninterrupted to 1948 not 1967.

Also of course Egypt also occupied the Gaza Strip until 67 and blockades it now yet curiously Hamas arent terrorising Egypt. Funny that.
    They blockade in accordance with Israel. Egypt's government is Israel's friend.
    Surely an enemy's friend is an enemy? Or maybe Hamas see Egypt as an Israeli puppet of sorts. Perhaps Egypt isn't Jewish enough to attract their ire.
    IANAE, but AIUI the relationship between Egypt and Hamas is complex and multi-faceted, and based in much more than Israeli influence. There are a whole host of issues, from security to personal enrichment. In fact, it's possible to argue that the arguing Gulf states have more to do with the complex relationship that Israel.

At the moment it seems that Hamas/Egyptian relations are improving, including a potential reopening of the Rafah crossing. Hamas is under a little external pressure from he fact one of its main funders, Qatar, is under pressure from its fellow Gulf states.

For all some rage about Israel's insidious actions in the Middle East, an equal, if not greater, influence comes from other nearby states.
    Isn't Hamas a branch offshoot of the Muslim Brotherhood, who are in conflict with the Morsi government? And recently a number sentenced to death?

http://m.france24.com/en/20180728-egypt-court-sentences-top-muslim-brotherhood-death

Fatima was Mohamed’s true heir. Sunni and Shi’a are heretic religions long past their usefulness to us. This will be recognised.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Anazina said:

Which bit? ;)
    Normal looking.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,697
    kle4 said:

surby said:

Scott_P said:

Should Kavanaugh get confirmed to the SC, he conceivably does.

The only way truly to deal with Trump is at the ballot box.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,697

OllyT said:

RobD said:

surby said:

justin124 said:

surby said:

But not impregnable.
    US democracy is in greater jeopardy than at any time in my memory (which includes Watergate).
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,346
    edited August 2018
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

surby said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    D'you mean James Dyson?
    Superior models also blow if you press the right buttons. We called ours Monica.

Hope you enjoyed your train riding in Wales. The day you went on the Conwy Valley line I was doing the North Wales coast line to Holyhead.
    Thanks, same to you! I did Holyhead during Election Week last year, and Llandudno (plus Tramway) a week later.

I just need Craven Arms to Llanelli, Swansea to Carmarthen, and Carmarthen to Fishguard/Pembroke/Milford Haven to complete the normal daytime National Rail network in Wales (also should be able to do the Swansea District Line from Llanelli to Briton Ferry direct)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

surby said:

Scott_P said:
    It is interesting to compare Trump to the quiet dignity of Jimmy Carter. Now there was a real outsider. Read this touching description of him and despair over how America has degenerated in integrity over 4 decades:
    I'm not going to begrudge people making some money after being President, or not being a saint, but I have to admit to being a sucker to stories of political leaders who truly do seem to be modest, humble and considerate pre and post politics.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

surby said:

Scott_P said:
    I'm not going to begrudge people making some money after being President, or not being a saint, but I have to admit to being a sucker to stories of political leaders who truly do seem to be modest, humble and considerate pre and post politics.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucius_Quinctius_Cincinnatus
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

surby said:

Scott_P said:
    Jimmy Carter has probably done more good in the last forty years than any other single human being. He is everything you say.

But it worth remembering on pretty well every level he was a failure as President. And that wasn't just because he was attacked by a rabbit.
  • Options

OllyT said:

RobD said:

surby said:

justin124 said:

surby said:

Agreed. I wasn't comparing the two I was simply pointing out what Trump might do if he thought he could get away with it.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T

"Don’t get stuck with a ‘Bin Laden’ €500 note

Large denominations of foreign currency can be very tricky to spend or exchange"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/money/dont-get-stuck-with-a-bin-laden-500-note-gnndwsfbz
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

surby said:

Scott_P said:
    Jimmy Carter has probably done more good in the last forty years than any other single human being. He is everything you say.

But it worth remembering on pretty well every level he was a failure as President. And that wasn't just because he was attacked by a rabbit.
    I lived in Georgia when he was elected, and it was a difficult time for a bruised USA, post Watergate and Vietnam. Sure, Carter was naive, and made mistakes as a result, notably over the Iran Crisis. He was an essential blast of fresh air though. When you compare his rule vs the state of Britain between 1977 and 1981, also struggling with post Imperial hangovers, oil crisis and inflation, his record wasn't too bad. There have been far worse Presidents.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,710
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited August 2018
    Foxy said
    "It is interesting to compare Trump to the quiet dignity of Jimmy Carter. Now there was a real outsider. Read this touching description of him and despair over how America has degenerated in integrity over 4 decades:"

I'd like to think we agree that Trump is, umm, somewhat lacking in civilty, yes.
    But was Obama, for example, not decently upright?
    Certainly Trump does seem to loathe him and is trying to undo his bequest.

I don't know whether it's a cause or an effect, but big money seems to be characteristic of modern politics. Harry Truman for instance was, I believe, a failed haberdasher.

P/S My then sister in law called Carter "Skippy" as in the peanut butter.
  • Options
    Toms said:

Foxy said
    "It is interesting to compare Trump to the quiet dignity of Jimmy Carter. Now there was a real outsider. Read this touching description of him and despair over how America has degenerated in integrity over 4 decades:"

I'd like to think we agree that Trump is, umm, somewhat lacking in civilty, yes.
    But was Obama, for example, not decently upright?
    Certainly Trump does seem to loathe him and is trying to undo his bequest.

I don't know whether it's a cause or an effect, but big money seems to be characteristic of modern politics. Harry Truman for instance was, I believe, a failed haberdasher.

P/S My then sister in law called Carter "Skippy" as in the peanut butter.

Although he (Truman) was a judge and career politician in the Democratic machine afterwards. This caused him a certain embarrassment as the 'Senator from Pendergast.'

His financial failures did mean however that he had no money after leaving office, which is why Congress passed a law giving retired Presidents pensions.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

surby said:

Scott_P said:

I lived in Georgia when he was elected, and it was a difficult time for a bruised USA, post Watergate and Vietnam. Sure, Carter was naive, and made mistakes as a result, notably over the Iran Crisis. He was an essential blast of fresh air though. When you compare his rule vs the state of Britain between 1977 and 1981, also struggling with post Imperial hangovers, oil crisis and inflation, his record wasn't too bad. There have been far worse Presidents.
    There are far worse presidents.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

surby said:

Scott_P said:

Nah. That was just a scared rabbit swimming away from a hunt. Nothing like Napoleons battle with rabbits The General lost, and was chased off by them.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,089

You know I predicted his win the first time around before he got the nomination?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Politicians should know never to be photographed in ethnic headwear.
  • Options

You know I predicted his win the first time around before he got the nomination?
    Yebbut Hillary won the popular vote. Will Trump lose the popular vote in 2020?
  • Options
    Just have to say I'm very proud of the morning thread.

One of my finest.

#LegendaryModesty
  • Options

Just have to say I'm very proud of the morning thread.

One of my finest.

#LegendaryModesty

#TSEcomparisons :lol:
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45236971

Westminster car crash: Man charged with attempted murder
  • Options

Were you under the misapprehension that Hamas weren't in conflict with Israel? I have never claimed otherwise. Of course the Arabs started it, Hamas's refusal to recognise Israel's right to exist traces back uninterrupted to 1948 not 1967.

Also of course Egypt also occupied the Gaza Strip until 67 and blockades it now yet curiously Hamas arent terrorising Egypt. Funny that.

I thought we were discussing the principle of being able to strike back against a military blockade, which you seem very stridently to be in favour of? Perhaps in your new role as a supporter of the armed struggle, you should start a petition demanding that Hamas start getting tasty with the Egyptians, just for consistency like.

As far as 'they started it' being appplied to an organisation that didn't exist when 'they started it', I'm afraid I must retire in the face of such profound reasoning and leave the last word to you.
    It's not a new role. A blockade is a casus belli. Always has been. Hamas is already at war with Israel so a casus belli there is a tad redundant.

Thank you for the last word as it seems you're either ignorant or obtuse about the history. I said traces back and it does indeed. Just as the EU only came into being officially in the 90s but traces back to the Treaty of Rome ... Hamas only came into being officially in the 80s but traces back to the Muslim Brotherhood. Their rejection of Israel's right to exist was not a new concept in the 80s but part of what they believed in as part of the Muslim Brotherhood too.
  • Options

I thought we were discussing the principle of being able to strike back against a military blockade, which you seem very stridently to be in favour of? Perhaps in your new role as a supporter of the armed struggle, you should start a petition demanding that Hamas start getting tasty with the Egyptians, just for consistency like.

As far as 'they started it' being appplied to an organisation that didn't exist when 'they started it', I'm afraid I must retire in the face of such profound reasoning and leave the last word to you.
    It's not a new role. A blockade is a casus belli. Always has been. Hamas is already at war with Israel so a casus belli there is a tad redundant.

Thank you for the last word as it seems you're either ignorant or obtuse about the history. I said traces back and it does indeed. Just as the EU only came into being officially in the 90s but traces back to the Treaty of Rome ... Hamas only came into being officially in the 80s but traces back to the Muslim Brotherhood. Their rejection of Israel's right to exist was not a new concept in the 80s but part of what they believed in as part of the Muslim Brotherhood too.
    Let's not forget Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon enlisting the help of the Gungans and human Naboo people to break the blockade by the greedy Trade Federation.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    Most people probably think they are a Japanese company given the branding.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,330
    edited August 2018
    Scott_P said:
    The constant bitterness and civil war now going on in labour troubles the soul and is really very upsetting.

With the re - entry of Farage on the alt right and Boris facebook comments most ordinary people must be in despair over our political classes.

The Country is in need of a Macron style figure and a new centre party to lead us all away from the abyss of hatred and intolerance but it does not seem likely.

Where are the grown ups apart from TM and one or two others
  • Options

Let's not forget Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon enlisting the help of the Gungans and human Naboo people to break the blockade by the greedy Trade Federation.
    Yeah nobody suggested that the use of (The) Force against a blockade then was unacceptable.
  • Options
    dodrade said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    Most people probably think they are a Japanese company given the branding.
    I did.
This discussion has been closed.