Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » We need to talk about Brandon Lewis

124»

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1028762801656004609

Pathetic? Or brilliant?

Do I detect the whiff of panic in the Jezza camp?

I don’t think this is really about Corbyn’s camp panicking about Boris as a potential threat. Corbynistas generally complain about the media (on this, I think Owen Jones has point as well). Boris has also been criticised by many who aren’t Corbynistas this week, so criticism of him isn’t really a Corbynista thing.

If Corbynistas are panicking about anyone, it’s their internal rivals within the Labour Party, that’s where they have the breakdown - when anyone questions Corbyn at all.
    They may be dealing with two threats then, Boris and a break-away party.

Stephen Bush writes that it was touch and go with Hodge. If she had been disciplined, then several MPs would have walked.
    I don’t think they see Boris as that much of threat, and I can’t blame them. Given how many L’s Corbyn has been taking as far as terrible headlines go, the fact that Boris in that Times poll couldn’t improve that much on the Con VI with his name recognition (hypothetical scenario in which he is leader) is unbelievable.

As for a breakaway party, while I get the sense that some Corbynistas want to have their cake and eat it (criticise moderates loads but not want them to leave) others I think are more than happy to purge ‘Blairites’ out of the Party. Bush IIRC had mentioned prior to this week that 12-15 MPs were thinking of walking, I’m not to surprised at that figure. He’s a much more reliable source on this than Hodges.
    There may be a reverse Blair going on here. He headed for the 'centre', even right of centre, thinking that the left had nowhere else to go. Jezza's gang may take the same view of the centre-left moderates.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I don’t agree with that at all. Why is it hubris that Ed Miliband believed in himself but not David or Ed Balls, or Burnham? There’s no guarantee that David Miliband would have won against David Cameron, especially since the anecdotes posted about him by various journalists et al on twitter suggests someone with very bad people skills. He was hardly that charismatic, either.

It’s amazing how moderates will blame everyone but themselves for nominating Corbyn.
    Cameron would have beaten David Miliband, whether May would have beaten Andy Burnham is more debateable
    I’m also inclined to believe that Cameron would have beaten David Miliband. Particularly since David Miliband would have likely campaigned on an even more similar platform to Cameron than Ed did.

As for Burnham, I’ve gotten the impression (especially after that Newsnight interview he did) he would have tried to appeal to the same Brexit constituency that May did and not gone for the anti austerity campaign Corbyn did, which focused on intergenerational unfairness. So I don’t think he would have made the progress Corbyn did, especially with under 40s. Labour need a leader who taps into these issues but without the baggage on issues like antisemitism etc that Corbyn brings.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pathetic? Or brilliant?

I don’t think this is really about Corbyn’s camp panicking about Boris as a potential threat. Corbynistas generally complain about the media (on this, I think Owen Jones has point as well). Boris has also been criticised by many who aren’t Corbynistas this week, so criticism of him isn’t really a Corbynista thing.

If Corbynistas are panicking about anyone, it’s their internal rivals within the Labour Party, that’s where they have the breakdown - when anyone questions Corbyn at all.

Stephen Bush writes that it was touch and go with Hodge. If she had been disciplined, then several MPs would have walked.
    I don’t think they see Boris as that much of threat, and I can’t blame them. Given how many L’s Corbyn has been taking as far as terrible headlines go, the fact that Boris in that Times poll couldn’t improve that much on the Con VI with his name recognition (hypothetical scenario in which he is leader) is unbelievable.

As for a breakaway party, while I get the sense that some Corbynistas want to have their cake and eat it (criticise moderates loads but not want them to leave) others I think are more than happy to purge ‘Blairites’ out of the Party. Bush IIRC had mentioned prior to this week that 12-15 MPs were thinking of walking, I’m not to surprised at that figure. He’s a much more reliable source on this than Hodges.
    The Tories were 4% ahead of Corbyn Labour under May this week with YouGov, so as long as she gets reasonable polling like that there will be no need to replace May with Boris
    They were also a point behind with ICM, although in general I agree the government aren’t doing badly in the polls at all having been in power for eight years now. I think they’re benefitting from the fact that much of the population is quite right leaning IMO.
  • Options

I think Johnson should be punished for this in a harsh way.

What did you have in mind?

Beheading?
    Thrown off a tall building?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Well, Taxman, I'm a tad "different" or "browner" than you, and I sympathise with Boris. So too, anecdotally, does my mum. This has nothing to do with race.

True. But it's everything to do with religion.
    But Taxman said "race".
  • Options

Pathetic? Or brilliant?

There may be a reverse Blair going on here. He headed for the 'centre', even right of centre, thinking that the left had nowhere else to go. Jezza's gang may take the same view of the centre-left moderates.
    I think they do, and I guess I can’t blame them. Labour is in an absolute shambles and yet the LDs are still dead, and there’s no En Marche arising despite endless talk of a new centrist party. Of course moderate centre lefties could just not turn out to vote. I think it depends on just how angry they are with the Tories in 2022 in comparison with Corbyn.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Consequences would be that Andy Burnham would be leader of the Labour Party and the piles of rubble in Syria would be a few inches higher. Doesn’t sound that much better than what we have got to be honest?
    Burnham would have been running a Government in waiting. Not this shower of cult nutjobs who spend most of their time saying close the BBC because it doesn't run 24/7 Jezza fawning operation and it's best interviewer sometimes sits next a Tory at dinner.
    That's true but perhaps RCS could do a video on the number of pb Tories who used to call for the BBC to be closed for its bias against the Cameroons. Not that I'd want to accuse CCHQ of cynical anti-Beeb astroturfing.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

HYUFD said:

I don’t agree with that at all. Why is it hubris that Ed Miliband believed in himself but not David or Ed Balls, or Burnham? There’s no guarantee that David Miliband would have won against David Cameron, especially since the anecdotes posted about him by various journalists et al on twitter suggests someone with very bad people skills. He was hardly that charismatic, either.

It’s amazing how moderates will blame everyone but themselves for nominating Corbyn.
    Cameron would have beaten David Miliband, whether May would have beaten Andy Burnham is more debateable
    I’m also inclined to believe that Cameron would have beaten David Miliband. Particularly since David Miliband would have likely campaigned on an even more similar platform to Cameron than Ed did.

As for Burnham, I’ve gotten the impression (especially after that Newsnight interview he did) he would have tried to appeal to the same Brexit constituency that May did and not gone for the anti austerity campaign Corbyn did, which focused on intergenerational unfairness. So I don’t think he would have made the progress Corbyn did, especially with under 40s. Labour need a leader who taps into these issues but without the baggage on issues like antisemitism etc that Corbyn brings.
    It is hard to imagine May holding a 20+ point lead in the polls against Burnham and so it would have been unlikely that she would have gone for an early election.

Labour needs a realist as a leader - someone who can promote a series of policies that are both popular and affordable. It is all to easy to put together a manifesto with lots of jam - but much harder to deliver when your policies don't even allow you to buy the bread let alone any conserves or spreads.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

Pathetic? Or brilliant?

I think they do, and I guess I can’t blame them. Labour is in an absolute shambles and yet the LDs are still dead, and there’s no En Marche arising despite endless talk of a new centrist party. Of course moderate centre lefties could just not turn out to vote. I think it depends on just how angry they are with the Tories in 2022 in comparison with Corbyn.
    UK politics seems to be characterised by extremely long partisan grudges, whether against Thatcher, Old Labour, New Labour or the Lib Dems...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

HYUFD said:

Pathetic? Or brilliant?

The Tories were 4% ahead of Corbyn Labour under May this week with YouGov, so as long as she gets reasonable polling like that there will be no need to replace May with Boris
    They were also a point behind with ICM, although in general I agree the government aren’t doing badly in the polls at all having been in power for eight years now. I think they’re benefitting from the fact that much of the population is quite right leaning IMO.
    ...or much of the population is quite rightly leaning against Corbyn.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

One other negative about David Miliband is that half the time it was impossible to know WTF he was talking about unless you had a starred first in jargon-filled political wonkery from the University of Oxford. And I don't so I didn't.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    HYUFD said:

twitter.com/steve_hanke/status/1028729332124930048

Is that because of Corbyn or American sanctions (not often mentioned here for some reason)?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259

Consequences would be that Andy Burnham would be leader of the Labour Party and the piles of rubble in Syria would be a few inches higher. Doesn’t sound that much better than what we have got to be honest?
    Burnham would have been running a Government in waiting. Not this shower of cult nutjobs who spend most of their time saying close the BBC because it doesn't run 24/7 Jezza fawning operation and it's best interviewer sometimes sits next a Tory at dinner.
    That's true but perhaps RCS could do a video on the number of pb Tories who used to call for the BBC to be closed for its bias against the Cameroons. Not that I'd want to accuse CCHQ of cynical anti-Beeb astroturfing.
    It's true, plenty of complaints from Tories about Beeb. But I detect a difference with the JC9 lot. This 'change is coming' stuff, threats to Laura K's physical safety etc etc.
  • Options

Pathetic? Or brilliant?

UK politics seems to be characterised by extremely long partisan grudges, whether against Thatcher, Old Labour, New Labour or the Lib Dems...
    Above all I think the biggest grudge is against New Labour. On the one hand there’s a lot of upset against Labour’s immigration policy, which drives Brexit. On the other hand, Labour’s wars and embrace of Thatcher’s legacy, which drives Corbynism.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028

Pathetic? Or brilliant?

Or against Brexiteers
  • Options

Pathetic? Or brilliant?

I think they do, and I guwith the Tories in 2022 in comparison with Corbyn.
    Above all I think the biggest grudge is against New Labour. On the one hand there’s a lot of upset against Labour’s immigration policy, which drives Brexit. On the other hand, Labour’s wars and embrace of Thatcher’s legacy, which drives Corbynism.
    It is ironic that while in office Blair's biggest opponents were arguably the LDs and now the LDs are the main supporters of his legacy of the big 3 parties
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

It even bleeds into the right where some people loath Cameron because they see him as continuity Blair.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pathetic? Or brilliant?

snip

...or much of the population is quite rightly leaning against Corbyn.
    Tbh I think Labour would have issues even without Corbyn, although they’d be of a much different nature. YouGov did polling back in 2016 showing that although the liberal left made up around 37% of the electorate, the rest are either authoritarian populists or centre right liberals. Labour’s 2015 leadership contest showed that they were undergoing an identity crisis, unsure of what the party stood for- Cameron’s occupation of the centre had essentially made New Labour redundant. I think that’s a big factor in Corbyn managing to come through and win the thing.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Burnham would have run a similar policy on Brexit as Corbyn did, he would have been more leftwing than David Miliband but more centrist than Corbyn and he also looks more the part of a PM than Corbyn does
  • Options

HYUFD said:

twitter.com/steve_hanke/status/1028729332124930048

Is that because of Corbyn or American sanctions (not often mentioned here for some reason)?
    Inept leadership
  • Options
    edited August 2018

One other negative about David Miliband is that half the time it was impossible to know WTF he was talking about unless you had a starred first in jargon-filled political wonkery from the University of Oxford. And I don't so I didn't.
    Mind you David Miliband is on $600 000 a year (£425 000 a year in
    2016) ie over 4 times the salary of the Leader of the Opposition or even the PM as Head of International Rescue and lives in Manhattan so has not done too badly

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/david-miliband-earns-425000-year-head-refugee-charity-international-rescue-1535643
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pathetic? Or brilliant?

snip
    He’s a much more reliable source on this than Hodges.
    It is ironic that while in office Blair's biggest opponents were arguably the LDs and now the LDs are the main supporters of his legacy of the big 3 parties
    Yep, that’s true. It’s because the LDs have moved from Kennedy, who was more sympathetic to the SPD side of the LDs to the Orange Bookers with Clegg et al who are clearly much more centrist.

@williamglenn Yes, that’s why much of the right leaning media never loved Cameron. I think they’re especially uncomfortable with Cameron’s (and especially Osborne’s) embrace of Blair. I remember reading how much Osborne loved The Journey.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pathetic? Or brilliant?

snip
    Yep, that’s true. It’s because the LDs have moved from Kennedy, who was more sympathetic to the SPD side of the LDs to the Orange Bookers with Clegg et al who are clearly much more centrist.

@williamglenn Yes, that’s why much of the right leaning media never loved Cameron. I think they’re especially uncomfortable with Cameron’s (and especially Osborne’s) embrace of Blair. I remember reading how much Osborne loved The Journey.
    Was it Blair's politics or his tactics Osborne admired? We British have always been sceptical of politicians and their promises but Cameron and Osborne took cynical campaigning to a whole new level.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,632

I think Johnson should be punished for this in a harsh way.

What did you have in mind?

Beheading?
    Thrown off a tall building?
    A couple of months of compulsory diversity training should do the trick.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pathetic? Or brilliant?

snip
    snip.
    snip.
    snip.

Was it Blair's politics or his tactics Osborne admired? We British have always been sceptical of politicians and their promises but Cameron and Osborne took cynical campaigning to a whole new level.
    Ken Clarke notes how they admired Blair’s tactics and style of government: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/shortcuts/2016/oct/03/tony-blaie-the-master-cameron-osborne-nickname

Although I think they aren’t too different politically either. I think Gove likes Blair as well.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mind you David Miliband is on $600 000 a year (£425 000 a year in
    2016) ie over 4 times the salary of the Leader of the Opposition or even the PM as Head of International Rescue and lives in Manhattan so has not done too badly

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/david-miliband-earns-425000-year-head-refugee-charity-international-rescue-1535643
    Plato always praised David Miliband as a manager and administrator.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,632
    You mean this bit ?
    “I have nothing to say about this matter, except to offer you a cup of tea.”

That’s the important debate he was fearlessly promoting ?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Ken Clarke notes how they admired Blair’s tactics and style of government: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/shortcuts/2016/oct/03/tony-blaie-the-master-cameron-osborne-nickname

Although I think they aren’t too different politically either. I think Gove likes Blair as well.
    Yes, there is probably a great deal in that. I used to write on here that the Cameroons were Blairites and the Blairites were Cameroons. It was a perhaps a bit more nuanced than that insofar as they'd often reach the same policy decisions but with opposing justifications. Socially it was interesting that the Conservatives tended to have been schooled at the major public schools and Oxford, whereas for Labour it was minor public schools and Oxford.
  • Options
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Yes, there is probably a great deal in that. I used to write on here that the Cameroons were Blairites and the Blairites were Cameroons. It was a perhaps a bit more nuanced than that insofar as they'd often reach the same policy decisions but with opposing justifications. Socially it was interesting that the Conservatives tended to have been schooled at the major public schools and Oxford, whereas for Labour it was minor public schools and Oxford.
    Though Blair himself was major public school and Oxford, Mandelson was grammar and Oxford I think
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,004
    HYUFD said:
    This sentence sums up Brexit. What a long strange trip it's been.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,713
    Some believe that the UK will be in a better position than the EU to mitigate the most disruptive aspects of a no-deal Brexit. They point out that as a unitary state the UK government can in theory quickly take decisions, such as suspending customs checks at ports such as Dover to ensure the free flow of time-sensitive goods into the UK.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/no-deal-will-be-worse-headache-for-eu-than-uk-officials-fear-9m0g7nr98
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,713
    Never been fans:

https://twitter.com/uk_tpo?lang=en

The UK Trade Policy Observatory offers expertise and services to support the reconstruction of the UK's international trading environment post-Brexit.

Given they're selling services to support the reconstruction of the UK's international trading environment post-Brexit. I'm guessing the chances of them saying 'that'll be straightforward' are low......
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007

Some believe that the UK will be in a better position than the EU to mitigate the most disruptive aspects of a no-deal Brexit. They point out that as a unitary state the UK government can in theory quickly take decisions, such as suspending customs checks at ports such as Dover to ensure the free flow of time-sensitive goods into the UK.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/no-deal-will-be-worse-headache-for-eu-than-uk-officials-fear-9m0g7nr98

I think there's a "true and not true" about that.

Yes, the UK government can and will suspend border checks to ensure the free flow of goods. As I said in my video, there are few votes in starving your own population.

But, on the other hand, the increase in required checks at major EU ports from adding "UK" to the non-EEA country list will be be relatively modest. Simply UK goods arriving at Rotterdam/Hamburg will be - what - 5-8% of the total?

The EU has also done a reasonable job of getting customs pre-clearance technology in place thanks to having constant trucks from Norway and Switzerland.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited August 2018
    AndyJS said:
    OF course if you had relied on almost all the polls and polling experts at the time rather than the actual referendum result the maps would probably be the same as remain won!

It's amazing how many of the same people who reject actual election results involving tens of milions of people suggest we should change policy because of polls and estimates of how people might vote. Those being the same polls and estimates by experts and academics which almost entirely predicted a Clinton and May landslide and a hung parliament in 2015 with Ed Miliband almost certainly as PM?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    rcs1000 said:

I think there's a "true and not true" about that.

Yes, the UK government can and will suspend border checks to ensure the free flow of goods. As I said in my video, there are few votes in starving your own population.

But, on the other hand, the increase in required checks at major EU ports from adding "UK" to the non-EEA country list will be be relatively modest. Simply UK goods arriving at Rotterdam/Hamburg will be - what - 5-8% of the total?

The EU has also done a reasonable job of getting customs pre-clearance technology in place thanks to having constant trucks from Norway and Switzerland.
    Just to add: our goods being subject to delays on the way to customers in Germany and Austria is not something that is entirely to our advantage.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

I will repeat the point what "ethnic" group do Burka wearers belong to. It is a fashion choice, just like some women like to wear mini-skirts, some men like to wear pointy shoes.
    Some Muslim immigrants have no hair covering, some head coverings partial or full.
    It is like saying the BBC is inciting a hate crime for depicting poor people in the UK wearing shells suits, or sports wear.

You have no point to repeat. They do belong to a clearly defined ethnic group (brown skin, indian subcontinent) and it is irrelevant anyway because your belief that abuse is acceptable unless ethnically motivated is just wrong. Do you believe it is ok to say to someone you are, let's say, a fat, poor, badly dressed prole - if so what makes it ok? Would you be happy to have it said to you?
This discussion has been closed.