Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This poll just about sums Brexit up – 60% don’t care what happ

13»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,126

As far as I can see from the information in the public domain, the poll in The Observer does not use the same method as the very successful YouGov poll before the election (i.e., it does not use Hamiltonian MCMC and Stan).

No it was commissioned by 2 diehard Remainer bodies 'Best for Britain' and 'Hope Not Hate' ie with a clear agenda to get an anti Brexit result.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited August 2018
    The tw@ttersphere will be doing their nut again shortly at Mail smearing Jezza for a second day running.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6051125/Pictured-Day-Jeremy-Corbyn-gave-speech-wedding-alleged-Holocaust-denier.html

If you read it carefully, it seems that when Jezza gave a speech at his wedding this guy hadn't been exposed as a holocaust denier.

He does seem to pick some interesting mates though, Red Ken, Gerry Adams, etc etc etc.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

"More than 100 seats that backed Brexit now want to stay in EU

Major new analysis shows most constituencies now have majority who want to Remain"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/11/more-than-100-pro-leave-constituencies-switch-to-remain

It looks to me that Remania has become more Leave (perhaps following the lead of the Tory leaders, and PBers) while Leaverstan is getting more sceptical of what is increasingly a Tory Brexit.

It looks like the wind is blowing to Remain for Labour at least. The new division is remodelling as the old party lines. Jezza is going to have to shift, his house is increasingly made on sand.
    It is bullshit as even polls nationally which have Remain ahead have the working class still with a Leave majority.

Sone shift in the Home Counties which only narrowly voted Leave maybe but not in the working class areas of the North and Midlands which had the biggest Leave margins
    Sorry if it doesn't agree with your world view, but that poll does match my experience in the Midlands. Voters like kicking Tories in the goolies, which meant voting Leave when a Remainer was in charge, and supporting Remain now Tory policy is Leave. Simples!
    No what complete and utter crap.

See Mansfield in the Midlands which went Tory for the first time in a century in 2017. Leave won mainly because of immigration and the biggest concern over immigration was working class areas, the middle class voted Remain
    Face it, you are losing it. Polls are shifting and will shift further. Brexit will be the dead albatross hanging round the necks of the Tories for a generation.
    Utter bullshit

The only poll that matters is the latest Yougov giving a 4% Tory lead as at the end of the day it is the government and the government and the majority party in Parliament alone which will decide whether we reverse Brexit and have a second EU referendum. That 4% Tory lead will give a small Tory majority for the Chequers Deal terms. This poll is irrelevant
    It could be a 10% lead if May called a second referendum. Brexit betrayal is popular.
    Not with over 70% of Tory voters backing Leave it would not.

We would end up with a Corbyn government if May called a second EU referendum and tried to reverse Brexit and in all likelihood the Tories would fall to third behind UKIP
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Still causing trouble in the Cabinet even when he's not in it. While I don't want to see it happen, I can only imagine how well he'd manage a Cabinet, given the example he always set in how to behave.
    What ever your views, Boris is a PR genius.

He and the Tories could have let the whole summer be about Jezza's love affair with Hezzbola, but no, Boris needs some oxygen.

Glad I am on Bozza at a whole stack of prices from 4 to 13.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,127
    edited August 2018
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

Major new analysis shows most constituencies now have majority who want to Remain"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/11/more-than-100-pro-leave-constituencies-switch-to-remain

It looks to me that Remania has become more Leave (perhaps following the lead of the Tory leaders, and PBers) while Leaverstan is gettingLabour at least. The new division is remodelling as the old party lines. Jezza is going to have to shift, his house is increasingly made on sand.
    It is bullshit as even polls nationally which have Remain ahead have the working class still with a Leave majority.

Sone shift in the Home Counties which only narrowly voted Leave maybe but not in the working class areas of the North and Midlands which had the biggest Leave margins
    Sor in the Midlands. Voters like in the goolies, which meant voting Leave when a Remainer was in charge, and supporting Remain now Tory policy is Leave. Simples!

See Mansfield in the Midlands which went Tory for the first time in a century in 2017. Leave won mainly because of immigration and the biggest concern over immigration was working class areas, the middle class voted Remain
    Face it, you are losing it. Polls are shifting and will shift further. Brexit will be the dead albatross hanging round the necks of the Tories for a generation.
    Utter bullshit

The only poll that matters is the latest Yougov giving a 4% Tory lead as at the end of the day it is the government and the government and the majority party in Parliament alone which will decide whether we reverse Brexit and have a second EU referendum. That 4% Tory lead will give a small Tory majority for the Chequers Deal terms. This poll is irrelevant
    It could be a 10% lead if May called a second referendum. Brexit betrayal is popular.
    Not with over 70% of Tory voters backing Leave it would not.

We would end up with a Corbyn government if May called a second EU referendum and tried to reverse Brexit and in all likelihood the Tories would fall to third behind UKIP
    56% of Tory voters think we’ll get a bad deal. 62% think Leave campaign promises will be broken. 47% think people were misled about the consequences. 20% of Tory Leavers would reconsider if we have to follow EU rules with no say after Brexit (I.e. Chequers).

Those are not solid numbers for Tory Brexit support.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,244
    I see Toby has stuck his wee, attention-seeking tortoise head out of his shell after his recent travails.

https://twitter.com/toadmeister/status/1028180500286976000

'Left-wing madrassas' indeed. Toby's losing his touch, it's all about the burqa at the mo'.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

It looks to me that Remania has become more Leave (perhaps following the lead of ade on sand.

Sor in the Midlands. Voters like in the goolies, which meant voting Leave when a Remainer was in charge, and supporting Remain now Tory policy is Leave. Simples!

Utter bullshit

The only poll that matters is the latest Yougov giving a 4% Tory lead as at the end is poll is irrelevant
    Not with over 70% of Tory voters third behind UKIP
    56% of Tory voters think we’ll get a bad deal. 62% think Leave campaign promises will be broken. 47% think people were misled about the consequences. 20% of Tory Leavers would reconsider if we have to follow EU rules with no say after Brexit (I.e. Chequers).

Those are not solid numbers for Tory Brexit support.
    The Chequers Deal ends free movement and leaves the EU, at the end of the day that is the be all and end all for most Leavers bar the most diehard.

A reversal of Brexit to stay in the EU and keep free movement in place by the Tories though would be an unforgivable betrayal of the Brexit vote for most Leavers and inevitably see a mass defection of Tory Leavers to UKIP. We would end up with something like the 27% UKIP 23% Tory vote of the 2014 European elections rather than the 39% Tory 7% UKIP we have in the latest poll post Chequers Deal
  • Options
    I have added to my Boris bets.

If he or Javid or Hunt win, then I get to dine out.
  • Options
    More Tory leadership briefings....

Secret plot to oust Theresa May in Brexiteer putsch and install David Davis as 'interim' PM with Boris Johnson urged to delay his leadership bid until after Brexit

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/brexit/article-6051043/Plot-oust-Theresa-David-Davis-interim-PM-Boris-Johnson-urged-delay-bid.html
  • Options
    The overall numbers in this poll across the UK are 53% Remain 47% Leave.

The final Yougov EU referendum poll had Remain 52% Leave 48% and the result was 52% Leave 48% Remain.

On the same margin of error as 2016 then even on this poll in the Observer Leave would win 51% to 49% for Remain
  • Options

I see Toby has stuck his wee, attention-seeking tortoise head out of his shell after his recent travails.

'Left-wing madrassas' indeed. Toby's losing his touch, it's all about the burqa at the mo'.

The most annoying thing about this meme/debate is that it keeps coming around and around - unis are full of lefty/social worker/Corbnista/PC lovers who teach this stuff all day long.

The History Man still stalks the corridors.

Yet, every example is from the Humanities.

A decent wodge of university life is science/engineering/maths etc etc.

I doubt a single one of those students has to listen to a single moment of left-wing madrassas material.

They are too busy trying to pass their course, do experiments, finish projects, whilst their lecturers are researching the future.

Grrrr...

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2018
    Sometimes you feel that if social media could be closed down for a few days it would have the same type of positive effect on people that Heathrow residents experienced when the Icelandic volcanic eruption closed down the airport a few years ago. For the first time in about 50 years they had a quiet day.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,947
    @Hyufd, @williamglenn

If I may interrupt for a moment, YouGov is using multi-level regression and post-stratification. It goes like this.

1) Yougov have an online panel of several thousand people.
    2) They ask them the usual voting question.
    3) Since they know the characteristics (age, sex, socioeconomic level, etc) of each panel member, they can construct a model to predict how those characteristics can vote (that's the "multi-level regression" bit)
    4) Since they know the characteristics of voters in each constituency, they can use that model to predict how each constituency will vote (that's the "poststratification" bit)
    5) Once they have done that for each constituency, they can predict the whole country

This approach is good but it is not perfect. Points to note:

1) You can't really use terms such as "margin of error" on this, as it's not a poll in the usual sense. It's a model based on poll data
    2) It's not perfect: YouGov had good results with their MRP in 2017, but Lord Ashcroft did not.

If you know all this already, I apologise.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    RobD said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

Boris Dad now throw some more petrol on the fire. Called for a burka ban in Telegraph.

Anecdote

My lefty/anarchist wife was once automatically pro-Islamic dress, and pro-anything-Tories-wanted-to-Ban (and vice versa)

It's nothing to do with me, but in the last couple of years she has done a volte-face and is now enraged by her "idiotic lefty friends" who think the niqab and the burqa are just fine because "no man should tell a woman how to dress"

She sees this imbecility for what it is, despises the misogyny of the niqab, and is now, for the first time, actively confronting her universally lefty friends on their stupidity.

She describes it as an epiphany - e.g. one day she suddenly sat up straight and thought: "why the fuck am I defending this awful anti-women dress, and the patriarchal religion underlying it, just because it is brown people that tend to believe it?"

I watch on, politely distant and mildly alarmed, but also intrigued.

There is hope in the generation after the Millennials. The under 23s. They are really thinking. Through her I also see tentative evidence that UK Muslim women themselves are questioning the Patriarchy (and they really do face a Patriarchy)

Let us hope and/or pray.
    I do not think you, or your wife know what you are talking about.

I just completed a major assessment into a Bangladeshi extended family, some of the women wore traditional dress, some didn't. What I got a clear sense of is that the women in the family were perfectly empowered, and had the final say on the decisions. The men work and the women manage the family and the household, including the men. And the children are really well looked after.
    Isn’t that just another anecdote? As with everything, there’s probably a continuum.
    And looking at individual points on the continuum is a perfectly valid way of studying it. Can we not drop this stupid convention of replying to any statement that anything happened with "anecdote"? It's based on a misunderstanding and over-generalisation of some rules about how to conduct medical research which are much leess widely applkicable than they are supposed to be. Every time we, for instance, convict people of murder it is on the basis of anecdote, not bloody double blinded randomised prospective surveys.
  • Options

Secret plot to oust Theresa May in Brexiteer putsch and install David Davis as 'interim' PM with Boris Johnson urged to delay his leadership bid until after Brexit

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/brexit/article-6051043/Plot-oust-Theresa-David-Davis-interim-PM-Boris-Johnson-urged-delay-bid.html

This is nonsense on stits.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,987
    Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

Boris Dad now throw some more petrol on the fire. Called for a burka ban in Telegraph.

Anecdote

My lefty/anarchist wife was once automatically pro-Islamic dress, and pro-anything-Tories-wanted-to-Ban (and vice versa)

It's nothing to do with me, but in the last couple of years she has done a volte-face and is now enraged by her "idiotic lefty friends" who think the niqab and the burqa are just fine because "no man should tell a woman how to dress"

She sees this imbecility for what it is, despises the misogyny of the niqab, and is now, for the first time, actively confronting her universally lefty friends on their stupidity.

She describes it as an epiphany - e.g. one day she suddenly sat up straight and thought: "why the fuck am I defending this awful anti-women dress, and the patriarchal religion underlying it, just because it is brown people that tend to believe it?"

I watch on, politely distant and mildly alarmed, but also intrigued.

There is hope in the generation after the Millennials. The under 23s. They are really thinking. Through her I also see tentative evidence that UK Muslim women themselves are questioning the Patriarchy (and they really do face a Patriarchy)

Let us hope and/or pray.
    I do not think you, or your wife know what you are talking about.

I just completed a major assessment into a Bangladeshi extended family, some of the women wore traditional dress, some didn't. What I got a clear sense of is that the women in the family were perfectly empowered, and had the final say on the decisions. The men work and the women manage the family and the household, including the men. And the children are really well looked after.
    Isn’t that just another anecdote? As with everything, there’s probably a continuum.
    And looking at individual points on the continuum is a perfectly valid way of studying it. Can we not drop this stupid convention of replying to any statement that anything happened with "anecdote"? It's based on a misunderstanding and over-generalisation of some rules about how to conduct medical research which are much leess widely applkicable than they are supposed to be. Every time we, for instance, convict people of murder it is on the basis of anecdote, not bloody double blinded randomised prospective surveys.
    As long as you look at multiple points along the continuum, in a representative fashion.
  • Options

I am always more interested in who is briefing this and why.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

The 632 seats in England, Scotland and Wales were examined for the study. It found that 112 had switched from Leave to Remain. The new analysis suggests there are now 341 seats with majority Remain support, up from 229 seats at the referendum.

One seat has switched support in Scotland and 97 have switched in England, while 14 of the 40 seats in Wales have changed from Leave to Remain. Overall, the model puts Remain on 53% support, with 47% backing Leave....

...Data scientists compiling the study used a technique known as multi-level regression and post-stratification, similar to that used by YouGov in its pre-election model, which proved far more accurate than conventional opinion polls. However, the polling sample used by YouGov for its election model was much bigger, covering some 50,000 people.

Among the constituencies to switch from Leave to Remain is that of Boris Johnson, the former foreign secretary and face of the Leave campaign. Support for Remain in his Uxbridge and South Ruislip constituency has risen from 43.6% to 51.4%, according to the new model.

Surrey Heath, the constituency of the other Leave figurehead, Michael Gove, also emerged as having a pro-Remain majority. Support for Remain increased from 48% in 2016 to 50.2%. There was also a 12.8-point swing to Remain in shadow chancellor John McDonnell’s seat of Hayes and Harlington.

The seats of three pro-Leave Labour MPs switched to Remain. Birkenhead, Frank Field’s constituency, now has a 58.4% majority in favour of Remain. Graham Stringer’s Blackley and Broughton constituency now has a 59% in favour of Remain. Kelvin Hopkins’s Luton North seat now has 53.1% backing Remain.

Yes, but we voted to leave.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,028

Imagine DD as PM. It would be like having Milton from Office Space running the country.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited August 2018
    Pulpstar said:

The 632 seats in England, Scotland and Wales were examined for the study. It found that 112 had switched from Leave to Remain. The new analysis suggests there are now 341 seats with majority Remain support, up from 229 seats at the referendum.

One seat has switched support in Scotland and 97 have switched in England, while 14 of the 40 seats in Wales have changed from Leave to Remain. Overall, the model puts Remain on 53% support, with 47% backing Leave....

...Data scientists compiling the study used a technique known as multi-level regression and post-stratification, similar to that used by YouGov in its pre-election model, which proved far more accurate than conventional opinion polls. However, the polling sample used by YouGov for its election model was much bigger, covering some 50,000 people.

Among the constituencies to switch from Leave to Remain is that of Boris Johnson, the former foreign secretary and face of the Leave campaign. Support for Remain in his Uxbridge and South Ruislip constituency has risen from 43.6% to 51.4%, according to the new model.

Surrey Heath, the constituency of the other Leave figurehead, Michael Gove, also emerged as having a pro-Remain majority. Support for Remain increased from 48% in 2016 to 50.2%. There was also a 12.8-point swing to Remain in shadow chancellor John McDonnell’s seat of Hayes and Harlington.

The seats of three pro-Leave Labour MPs switched to Remain. Birkenhead, Frank Field’s constituency, now has a 58.4% majority in favour of Remain. Graham Stringer’s Blackley and Broughton constituency now has a 59% in favour of Remain. Kelvin Hopkins’s Luton North seat now has 53.1% backing Remain.

Yes, but we voted to leave.
    Didn't you miss Ed Milliband becoming PM following a hung parliament leading a coalition with the SNP in 2015

Or Clinton winning by a landslide

Or Mrs May winning a majority of over 100 in June 2017

Or indeed remain leading by 4 and 10 per cent in the last two polls published before the referendum count began on 23 June 2016.

Such great predictors almost all of those pollsters weren't they!

Why don't we just abolish actual elections of tens of millions of people, let you gov decide the results and spend the money saved on holding elections on the NHS instead!

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,776
    HYUFD said:

The overall numbers in this poll across the UK are 53% Remain 47% Leave.

The final Yougov EU referendum poll had Remain 52% Leave 48% and the result was 52% Leave 48% Remain.

On the same margin of error as 2016 then even on this poll in the Observer Leave would win 51% to 49% for Remain

The poll may or may not be accurate. The huge difference with 2016 is that pollsters ask how people voted last time and know what the result of that referendum was. It should make weighting much easier. If people say they will change their vote, that's significant.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    We’d have thought that political journalists would understand the process by which the major parties choose their leader, it’s not as if the process isn’t well documented.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,404

Thread is now OLD

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Less 18 year old this year. Literally. There are fewer 18 year old people this year than previous years.

So Uni admissions being down is expected.
This discussion has been closed.