Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » At GE2017 six times as many CON voters said Brexit was the dec

12346»

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Rees-Mogg sounds like he's panicking a bit - lashing out. I wonder if he never intended to be the Ultras' de facto leader, and it's now starting to dawn that a calamitous hard Brexit will be blamed on him.
    The word in the lobbies was that JRM wanted to Speaker, and now his Brexit rent-a-quote act (since Farage seems to have stopped answering journalists' phone calls) has put the kybosh on that or any other ambition he might have had.
    If that was the choice he made he needs to stop pouting over it - no one forced him to prioritise being the public face and voice of no deal brexiteers over any ambition to be seen as a respected, albeit eccentric constitutionally minded fellow.
    Is it a choice he made or a role he stumbled into simply by being polite? If he were as bright as he makes out, he might at least have made junior minister for paperclips under David Cameron who promoted almost every other Old Etonian in the House.
    He never promoted Zac Goldsmith, Jesse Norman, nor Richard Drax, all Old Etonians.
    Tut tut.

Surely everyone knows that Richard was at Harrow?

Edit: Darn, I sailed past 10k posts without even noticing.

Drax is an Old Etonian according to many sources

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tory-candidate-richard-drax-changes-435315

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1233566/Tory-parliamentary-candidate-Richard-Grosvenor-Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax-called-plain-Richard-Drax-De-toff-Cameron.html

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/mar/09/smoothies-party-rich-tories-brand

Drax tried to deposh himself, perhaps he thought Harrow might seem more plebish than Eton.

I mean Harrow doesn't even have entrance exams these days.

Only the thick offspring of rich poshos go to Harrow.

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

I wonder how different things would be if May had just said WE ARE DOING NORWAY, BISH BASH BOSH JOB DONE.

Ah, the road not travelled. An interesting idea though. The way things have gone now it would not be a popular option, everyone is playing for much higher stakes, no deal or remain or unreaslitic fudge which people can barely even pretend is viable, but if from the start? Maybe.
    Norway has a 'hard' customs border with Sweden does it not ?
    So the EU won't countenance it due to the NI/Eire issue.
    Norway for Great Britain.

Norway plus CU for NI.

Bish bash bosh job still done.
    Silly me - I forgot our DUP overlords.
    It's not just the DUP that object to a hard border inside the UK!
    Yes, but it is them that make it a very red line indeed and not the shade of light pink like most of May's others when push and shove come along I think. Unfortunately for May Barnier has doubled down on the 'No extension of the backstop to the whole of the UK' thing - which means she's in an impossible position right now.
    Good. There should be no pink
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    Sean_F said:

What is unspoofable is the Leavers that said No Deal was Project Fear and now criticise the government for not planning for No Deal.

No deal isn't going to happen
    It isn't going to happen
    It's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN
    I wasn't there
    Some big boys did it and ran away
    It's a price worth paying.
    You forgot ‘The will of the people’

Ironically no deal would be a slap in the face to the voters who were promised that a Brexit UK would be part of a free trading alliance that spanned Western Europe and then some.
    All overseen and organised by the party that you support and campaign for. How shit is that?
    Indeed.

Sadly there’s going to be a reckoning for that and those in the party that peddled Brexit would be easy and nowt but sunlit uplands.
    So far with the deficit beating projections constantly, full employment etc it is easy and sunlit uplands. The hyperbole of Brexit disaster is about as real as an episode of Star Trek.
    I neither expected sunlit uplands nor disaster. So far, that seems about right.
    Again, so far we are still in the union. There is a small chance of a benign outcome, if we go for a very gentle transition. The chances of a benign outcome if ERG get their way are close to zero
  • Options

What is unspoofable is the Leavers that said No Deal was Project Fear and now criticise the government for not planning for No Deal.

It isn't going to happen
    It's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN
    I wasn't there

Ironically no deal would be a slap in the face to the voters who were promised that a Brexit UK would be part of a free trading alliance that spanned Western Europe and then some.
    All overseen and organised by the party that you support and campaign for. How shit is that?
    Indeed.

Sadly there’s going to be a reckoning for that and those in the party that peddled Brexit would be easy and nowt but sunlit uplands.
    Brexit should have been achievable. It really should. Not so easily as some made out, and certainly not without cost or bumps in the road. That your sorry gang have turned it into such a shitefest and just plain bungled it is a national shame. Whatever pathetic reckoning your mob metes out to it's own won't be half as bad as the scorn the voters will tip on you!
    Nope, Vote Leave's proposals were undeliverable, some of us said so at the time.

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/722391453599723520
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Anyone who wants to take their minds of Brexit go and see Mama Mia. Kitsch as hell but brilliant.
  • Options

It isn't going to happen
    It's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN
    I wasn't there

Indeed.

Brexit should have been achievable. It really should. Not so easily as some made out, and certainly not without cost or bumps in the road. That your sorry gang have turned it into such a shitefest and just plain bungled it is a national shame. Whatever pathetic reckoning your mob metes out to it's own won't be half as bad as the scorn the voters will tip on you!
    Nope, Vote Leave's proposals were undeliverable, some of us said so at the time.

Yet have been achieved by Canada. Funny that.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

It isn't going to happen
    It's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN
    I wasn't there

Indeed.

Isn't that what Canada has?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Anyone who wants to take their minds of Brexit go and see Mama Mia. Kitsch as hell but brilliant.

I said that a few hours ago.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234

I'm not laughing. The EU offered the UK a CETA+ deal right off the bat, and the UK government refused.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    edited July 2018
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

I wonder how different things would be if May had just said WE ARE DOING NORWAY, BISH BASH BOSH JOB DONE.

Ah, the road not travelled. An interesting idea though. The way things have gone now it would not be a popular option, everyone is playing for much higher stakes, no deal or remain or unreaslitic fudge which people can barely even pretend is viable, but if from the start? Maybe.
    Norway has a 'hard' customs border with Sweden does it not ?
    So the EU won't countenance it due to the NI/Eire issue.
    Norway for Great Britain.

Norway plus CU for NI.

Bish bash bosh job still done.
    Silly me - I forgot our DUP overlords.
    It's not just the DUP that object to a hard border inside the UK!
    Yes, but it is them that make it a very red line indeed and not the shade of light pink like most of May's others when push and shove come along I think. Unfortunately for May Barnier has doubled down on the 'No extension of the backstop to the whole of the UK' thing - which means she's in an impossible position right now.
    Which May got herself into by signing up for the backstop in the December agreement. As far as the EU is concerned the U.K. is now trying to wriggle out of something it agreed to only 6 months ago which will ensure that the rest of the negotiation is carried out in an atmosphere of mutual suspicion and mistrust.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Rees-Mogg sounds like he's panicking a bit - lashing out. I wonder if he never intended to be the Ultras' de facto leader, and it's now starting to dawn that a calamitous hard Brexit will be blamed on him.
    The word in the lobbies was that JRM wanted to Speaker, and now his Brexit rent-a-quote act (since Farage seems to have stopped answering journalists' phone calls) has put the kybosh on that or any other ambition he might have had.
    If that was the choice he made he needs to stop pouting over it - no one forced him to prioritise being the public face and voice of no deal brexiteers over any ambition to be seen as a respected, albeit eccentric constitutionally minded fellow.
    Is it a choice he made or a role he stumbled into simply by being polite? If he were as bright as he makes out, he might at least have made junior minister for paperclips under David Cameron who promoted almost every other Old Etonian in the House.
    He never promoted Zac Goldsmith, Jesse Norman, nor Richard Drax, all Old Etonians.
    Tut tut.

You need to get a life.

:smiley:
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    FF43 said:

Things are coming to a head on Brexit now, where the contradictions behind the Leave vote can no longer be hidden. Not sure what how it will exactly play out over the next six months, but it will be a very humiliating experience for the UK and Leave voters in particular.

The Remain campaign was called Project Fear because it was very similar in its content to what Remainers on here have put today. despite this the British people voted to leave.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Roger said:

Why not combine the two? “I’ve been angry and sad at the things that EU’ve done.”
  • Options

It isn't going to happen
    It's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN
    I wasn't there

Indeed.

The Canada deal doesn't cover services.

I mean services isn't important to the UK economy.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    RobD said:

Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Tut tut.

You need to get a life.

:smiley:
    :)

Canvassing with an old Harrovian in my parents’ village was really good fun!
  • Options

It isn't going to happen
    It's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN
    I wasn't there

Indeed.

But the essence is the same - free trade with no freedom of movement/budgetary contributions/minimal ECJ oversight (if there is any).
  • Options
    RobD said:

It isn't going to happen
    It's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN
    I wasn't there

Indeed.

Isn't that what Canada has?
    They find Justin more attractive than Theresa.
  • Options

I'm not laughing. The EU offered the UK a CETA+ deal right off the bat, and the UK government refused.
    'Cause it didn't cover services.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Leavers on here veer between absurd complacency at the lowest growth rate in the EU and shrill horror that the EU still hasn’t agreed their every preposterous demand.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857
    edited July 2018
    Project Fear has become totemic for the Brexiters because it’s the only thing they have left: that so far, having not even left, that things are not as bad as the Treasury said they would be if we exercised A50 immediately following the vote.

Meanwhile, not a single thing promised by Brexiters has come true. Every aspect of Brexit was and is a lie. And now, not content with the current state of play, Brexiters are dressing up a no deal plunge into chaos as not to be feared or even welcomed.

Brexit is a mental disease.
  • Options
    RobD said:

It isn't going to happen
    It's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN
    I wasn't there

Indeed.

But the essence is the same - free trade with no freedom of movement/budgetary contributions/minimal ECJ oversight (if there is any).
    But Vote Leave said it would cover services.

That's why I said it was undeliverable.
  • Options

RobD said:

It isn't going to happen
    It's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN
    I wasn't there

Indeed.

It's funny how the EU are able to do a deal with Canada that doesn't include freedom of movement but when it comes to the UK they protest that their four freedoms are indivisible.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    edited July 2018

Roger said:

Why not combine the two? “I’ve been angry and sad at the things that EU’ve done.”
    "David Cameron tell what's wrong
    Your MPs don't really want you
    In their eyes
    You're still in love with the EU"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=natcN0_7q1g
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    RobD said:

RobD said:

It isn't going to happen
    It's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN
    I wasn't there

Indeed.

It's funny how the EU are able to do a deal with Canada that doesn't include freedom of movement but when it comes to the UK they protest that their four freedoms are indivisible.
    Its cause they dont want any other EU member to leave
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2018

It isn't going to happen
    It's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN
    I wasn't there

Indeed.

It is increasingly clear that the EU powers aren't interested in whatever the UK tries to come up with as a comprise. There was an opportunity to come up with something sensible, but as continue to see the only fault the EU sees with itself is that it needs ever closer union, a bit like when people say communism has never failed it just hasn't been done properly.

That isn't to say the UK side of things hasn't been crap, but I am not convinced even having a crack team on the case would have made much difference.

In fact, if the EU had been a flexible and sensible (and Cameron had pushed harder) we wouldn't have even got to this stage in the first place, but we ended up with a vote for ever closer union or out.
  • Options

Project Fear has become totemic for the Brexiters because it’s the only thing they have left: that so far, having not even left, that things are not as bad as the Treasury said they would be if we exercised A50 immediately following the vote.

Meanwhile, not a single thing promised by Brexiters has come true. Every aspect of Brexit was and is a lie. And now, not content with the current state of play, Brexiters are dressing up a no deal plunge into chaos as not to be feared or even welcomed.

'cause we haven't left yet.
  • Options

Look you. All they wanted was INFINITE CAKE for ZERO MONEY.

What is so unreasonable about that request?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

It isn't going to happen
    It's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN
    I wasn't there

Indeed.

You might try some reading on the difference between an FTA, a Customs Union, and a Single Market.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

It isn't going to happen
    It's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN
    I wasn't there

Indeed.

Canada doesn’t have free trade, it has an agreement for freer trade in some areas (and a hard border with EU countries).
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    The Macron story is truly astonishing and, if the details in this report are correct, could end up affecting him personally as well as politically.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/20/macron-security-officer-alexandre-benalla-in-custody-and-will-be-fired-over-violent-video
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    RobD said:

'cause we haven't left yet.
    In apparently the easiest deal ever. Still waiting for the BMW makers and prosceccp growers to ride to our rescue.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

It isn't going to happen
    It's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN
    I wasn't there

Indeed.

You might try some reading on the difference between an FTA, a Customs Union, and a Single Market.
    Yes. Vote Leave said we would have the first but not the second or third. What's confusing about that?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

No, just a political viewpoint you dislike. I don't consider your political outlook a mental disease. It's just one that I disagree with.
  • Options
    RobD said:

If the USA gave the same deal to California that it gives to Canada, what effect do you think it would have on the Californian economy?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    They wouldn't be saying Cambridge once they've started looking at trying to buy a house.
  • Options

RobD said:

If the USA gave the same deal to California that it gives to Canada, what effect do you think it would have on the Californian economy?
    Bit confusing what you mean. But could be a boost.
  • Options

It isn't going to happen
    It's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN
    I wasn't there

Indeed.

It is increasingly clear that the EU powers aren't interested in whatever the UK tries to come up with as a comprise. There was an opportunity to come up with something sensible, but as continue to see the only fault the EU sees with itself is that it needs ever closer union, a bit like when people say communism has never failed it just hasn't been done properly.

That isn't to say the UK side of things hasn't been crap, but I am not convinced even having a crack team on the case would have made much difference.

In fact, if the EU had been a flexible and sensible (and Cameron had pushed harder) we wouldn't have even got to this stage in the first place, but we ended up with a vote for ever closer union or out.
    As Mr Grabcoque points out they'd have accepted Norway and offered us Canada.

But neither of those would reconcile the promises made by Leave.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

+1000000

And the UK is the bipolar patient

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,036
    Roger said:

I'd rather have my toenails extracted through my nostrils.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

It isn't going to happen
    It's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN
    I wasn't there

Indeed.

Yes. Vote Leave said we would have the first but not the second or third. What's confusing about that?
    I think you are confused. You are suggesting that the EU won’t offer us an FTA without FOM (like Canada), but that is not the EU’s position.
  • Options

Roger said:

LOL! I agree/
  • Options

Look you. All they wanted was INFINITE CAKE for ZERO MONEY.

What is so unreasonable about that request?
    What is unreasonable is they forgot to summon the ghost of David Hilbert to set up the Infinite Bakery
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    This is a question I've often wrestled with. I wonder if it takes affordability into account - I mean, I'd like to live in London, I suppose, but realistically to live in a suburb as nice as the one I do in Manchester I'd only be able to aford to live in a bedsit. Which makes it a rather less attractive proposition. Cambridge and Brighton fall into this category too.

Cambridge is very nice, and all that, but has neither hills nor coastline.

I'm surprised Manchester ranks so high, even as someone from Manchester who is very happy here - I'm surprised it is as popular as all thar.

My favourites on the list would be Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds, Bristol, Newcastle, Liverpool, Edinburgh and Glasgow, in that order. Manchester basically wins because I'm already here, along with friends and family, though it would still be in the top 8 even if I was starting from scratch.

• Options

RobD said:

For a start it would mean border infrastructure like this:

• Options

RobD said:

Is the UK as integrated into the EU's economy as California is?
  • Options

The EU warned us many times that there was no soft Brexit, only IN or OUT

I agree with that. The EU does share part of the blame for allowing circumstances to arise which the Brexiteers were able to capitalise on, but Brexit is still largely a self-inflicted wound.
  • Options
    XenonXenon Posts: 471
    RobD said:

RobD said:

It isn't going to happen
    It's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN
    I wasn't there

Indeed.

And I doubt Canada has to give them £40bn as well.

They don't want to do a deal with us so we'll just have to do as best as we can unfortunately. It will be painful but at least we'll be permanently rid of turds like Barnier holding power over us.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

As Mr Grabcoque points out they'd have accepted Norway and offered us Canada.

But neither of those would reconcile the promises made by Leave.

They knew we couldn't accept the Canada-style deal, not because of the Leave promises, but because it would have massively limited London future as a financial centre.

Screams of Labour anti-semitism proposals, looks we are being nice, but you can see scream Zio at people and thats fine.
  • Options
    There is a soft Brexit.
    In involves staying in the single market via EFTA (Norway) or a bespoke arrangement (Switzerland).

The reason it is soft is it that it retains all the trading benefits of a single market.

Any FTA is by definition inferior to a single market at least when it comes to ease of and ability to trade.
  • Options

RobD said:

Is that customs or immigration control?
  • Options

Roger said:

Paint your toenails instead. Very therapeutic :)
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Is that customs or immigration control?
    The hypothesis is a Canada style deal, so California would get the same treatment for both.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Cookie said:

This is a question I've often wrestled with. I wonder if it takes affordability into account - I mean, I'd like to live in London, I suppose, but realistically to live in a suburb as nice as the one I do in Manchester I'd only be able to aford to live in a bedsit. Which makes it a rather less attractive proposition. Cambridge and Brighton fall into this category too.

I'm surprised Manchester ranks so high, even as someone from Manchester who is very happy here - I'm surprised it is as popular as all thar.

My favourites on the list would be Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds, Bristol, Newcastle, Liverpool, Edinburgh and Glasgow, in that order. Manchester basically wins because I'm already here, along with friends and family, though it would still be in the top 8 even if I was starting from scratch.

What about Coventry, Leicester, Sunderland, Wolverhampton & Bradford ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Cookie said:

Too full of Brexiters.

Would *you* like to move to a psychopolis?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,307
    Desperate times call for desperate measures. I suggest Theresa gets into talks with the opposition parties. They can then agree to appoint her as a 'National Prime Minister' with the full support of the majority of the House. That way, even in the ERG steps in and non-confidences her as Tory leader, she can stay on as PM. That would strengthen her hand, impress the EU and make her look a true patriot!
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    Pulpstar said:

Cookie said:

I'm second guessing the people who carried out the survey here, but with the exception of Leicester, those are all places in the travel-to-work areas of places which ARE on the list. So relocating your job to Wolverhampton or Birmingham wouldn't be all that different in terms of where you might choose to live.

For example, if I were offered a job in Leeds, I would probably choose to live in Illkley, which is within the city of Bradford.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Well at least Barnier has said he can work with elements of May's white paper even if he has concerns to ensure it does not undermine the integrity of the single market
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

kle4 said:

It isn't going to happen
    It's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN
    I wasn't there

The EFTA crew (@rcs1000 of this parish and others) are as to blame as anyone else.

They assumed Brexit would be executed reasonably, and failed to calculate that Brexit represented something inherently chaotic.
    I expected it to be difficult and to a degree chaotic. I certainly underestimated just how poorly even a weaker hand would be played however, and thus how poorly preparation would go - even up to the end of 2017, a degree of optimism was not unreasonable, but even now, July 20th 2018, the governing party are still riven on the issue, I truly never expected that, I really thought even in a chaotic period they could sort their sh*t out given 2 years to do so. How very wrong I was.

Were it not for having put my view on record on PB, I've no doubt I would have wavered and gone remain in the voting booth.
    I actually started the campaign as a sceptic, if perhaps undecided about Leaving. Like many, I was disappointed by Cameron’s negotiations. I also retain a long term mistrust of EU governance and FOM arrangements.

It’s just that as I looked in more detail into the case for Brexit I realised that the status quo was infinitely better than any Brexit possibly on offer, and that many of my unchallenged Euro-scepticisms were utterly baseless.

As many have said, Brexit wasn’t built in a day, it was the result of 25 years of anti-EU propaganda circulated largely by the right-leaning press.
    I think that last para goes a long way to explaining why we are where we are. I
  • Options
    Son Heung-min: Tottenham forward signs new five-year contract

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44902811

They said during the WC coverage he has to do national service back in Korea sometime in the next few years. How's that going to work out?
  • Options

Desperate times call for desperate measures. I suggest Theresa gets into talks with the opposition parties. They can then agree to appoint her as a 'National Prime Minister' with the full support of the majority of the House. That way, even in the ERG steps in and non-confidences her as Tory leader, she can stay on as PM. That would strengthen her hand, impress the EU and make her look a true patriot!

And she can feed Barnier some bacon from the plethora of pigs flying overhead.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited July 2018

They wouldn't be saying Cambridge once they've started looking at trying to buy a house.
    Well, quite. So given the choice between living in Royston and commuting to Cambridge, or living in Beverley (the lovely Yorkshire market town, not the PB poster) and commuting to Hull, Cambridge suddenly looks a lot less appealing. Even though I concur with TSE's assessment of its university.
  • Options

There is a soft Brexit.
    In involves staying in the single market via EFTA (Norway) or a bespoke arrangement (Switzerland).

The reason it is soft is it that it retains all the trading benefits of a single market.

Any FTA is by definition inferior to a single market at least when it comes to ease of and ability to trade.

Indeed. That was the choice we debated a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    New thread...
  • Options

Corbyn has ZERO need to agree to those terms.

The UK crashing out of the EU, economic chaos and the Tories getting the blame, leading to a hard left Labour government is pretty close to his dream scenario.

Why would he possibly want to bail May out?
  • Options

The UK crashing out of the EU, economic chaos and the Tories getting the blame, leading to a hard left Labour government is pretty close to his dream scenario.

Maybe Corbyn could lead a government of national unity?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    edited July 2018

RobD said:

Gee that brings back memories. Surrey, BC, far Southern suburbs of Vancouver on the way to Blaine, Wash.
    Have crossed there many, many times.
    Allow 4 hours is recommended, although you can often do it in much less espcially at night.
    The idea there is no real border is a total myth.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

kle4 said:

It isn't going to happen
    It's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN
    I wasn't there

The EFTA crew (@rcs1000 of this parish and others) are as to blame as anyone else.

They assumed Brexit would be executed reasonably, and failed to calculate that Brexit represented something inherently chaotic.
    I expected it to be difficult and to a degree chaotic. I certainly underestimated just how poorly even a weaker hand would be played however, and thus how poorly preparation would go - even up to the end of 2017, a degree of optimism was not unreasonable, but even now, July 20th 2018, the governing party are still riven on the issue, I truly never expected that, I really thought even in a chaotic period they could sort their sh*t out given 2 years to do so. How very wrong I was.

Were it not for having put my view on record on PB, I've no doubt I would have wavered and gone remain in the voting booth.
    I actually started the campaign as a sceptic, if perhaps undecided about Leaving. Like many, I was disappointed by Cameron’s negotiations. I also retain a long term mistrust of EU governance and FOM arrangements.

It’s just that as I looked in more detail into the case for Brexit I realised that the status quo was infinitely better than any Brexit possibly on offer, and that many of my unchallenged Euro-scepticisms were utterly baseless.

As many have said, Brexit wasn’t built in a day, it was the result of 25 years of anti-EU propaganda circulated largely by the right-leaning press.
    I think that last para goes a long way to explaining why we are where we are. I
    Or perhaps people just didn't much like the way that the EU was developing over that period?
  • Options

Except that would not happen, most likely many Labour Remainers would defect to the LDs while hard Brexiteers return from UKIP to the Tories
  • Options
    kingbongokingbongo Posts: 393
    http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2017/july/tradoc_155717.pdf

considering the language used by the EU here when discussing trade with Japan can anybody explain to me why the language is so different with the UK - agreeing to use international standards for cars is deemed a positive for Japan but stupid and impossible for the UK for
    example -
    free trade with Japan will bring huge benefits but for the UK this can’t be discussed without FOM etc - I am genuinely puzzled
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689
    HYUFD said:

Except that would not happen, most likely many Labour Remainers would defect to the LDs while hard Brexiteers return from UKIP to the Tories
    If any "Labour Remainers" defecting to the LDs, they would have done so already in the 2 years that Jezza has been party leader. It's not going to happen.

More likely that the Labour leadership will shift to a Single Market EEA type position at the conference. Europe is simply not the touchstone issue for Jezza, or even for Liz Kendall, that it is for Tories.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689
    Sean_F said:

Maybe Corbyn could lead a government of national unity?
    Or Vince :)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

If any "Labour Remainers" defecting to the LDs, they would have done so already in the 2 years that Jezza has been party leader. It's not going to happen.

More likely that the Labour leadership will shift to a Single Market EEA type position at the conference. Europe is simply not the touchstone issue for Jezza, or even for Liz Kendall, that it is for Tories.
    It has already started to happen a bit, see Lewisham East and the longer we remain outside the single market post Brexit while Labour supports staying outside the single market, the more likely further defections from Labour to the LDs will be.

Corbyn has of course made clear he is ideologically opposed to staying in the single market as it would disrespect the Leave vote and block his nationalisation plans so you are completely wrong on that unless someone like Umunna becomes Labour leader
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

RobD said:

Been following the attempt to put a vote on splitting California into 3 new states (banned by the State Court). Seems that from being virtually bankrupt a few years ago, the present administration stopped the tax breaks for the rich and started taxing big business properly, and from being in severe deficit, it is now very much in the black. The result, California is now the 5th largest economy in the world, still growing and is now supporting all those central Red Trump voting states. Oops! Wonder what would happen if the UK government copied this radical idea...
This discussion has been closed.