Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tory leadership – an alternative view

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    It surprises me Putin did not invite Trump to the World Cup Final. That America has just been chosen to host (jointly) the one after next would have provided cover.
    I think Trump would find it odd to have a World Cup final where both teams are not American, like the World Series.

He has tweeted congratulions to France and Russia but clearly he preferred his golf game today and for most Americans soccer comes well below American football, baseball and basketball in terms of interest
    Keep an eye on that: soccer is big in America, especially with the influx of fans from south of the border. They are also very strong in women's football as girls play it at school (hence the so-called soccer moms).
    I went to see Vancouver White Caps play last time I visited my son in Vancouver and it was a good and enjoyable game. Probably Championship level
    We're LAFC season ticket holders, and it's a great atmosphere and fun games. (That LAFC is second in the Western Conference helps too.) It's also the best stadium I've ever been in.

In fact, I'm taking the kids to see LAFC play Portland this afternoon...
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    It surprises me Putin did not invite Trump to the World Cup Final. That America has just been chosen to host (jointly) the one after next would have provided cover.
    I think Trump would find it odd to have a World Cup final where both teams are not American, like the World Series.

He has tweeted congratulions to France and Russia but clearly he preferred his golf game today and for most Americans soccer comes well below American football, baseball and basketball in terms of interest
    Keep an eye on that: soccer is big in America, especially with the influx of fans from south of the border. They are also very strong in women's football as girls play it at school (hence the so-called soccer moms).
    I went to see Vancouver White Caps play last time I visited my son in Vancouver and it was a good and enjoyable game. Probably Championship level
    We're LAFC season ticket holders, and it's a great atmosphere and fun games. (That LAFC is second in the Western Conference helps too.) It's also the best stadium I've ever been in.

In fact, I'm taking the kids to see LAFC play Portland this afternoon...
    Enjoy the game
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    This is just weird. The people of WOxon (of which I’m one) voted Remain, unlike Robert Courts.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well done France on winning the World Cup but a respectable performance from Croatia too

And both miles ahead of England
    England lost 3 2 to France last summer, Croatia lost 4 2 to France today.

It does annoy me the cynicism about England now after the unjustified triumphalism last week. At the end of the day it was our joint best World Cup performance since 1966 when most, including me, thought we would be lucky to get to the quarter finals. We also have a world class goalkeeper now and a shrewd manager and a young team so plenty of room to improve. Though as you are Welsh I know you have no vested interested in England really beyond bring a home nation
    Do not be so silly. I wanted England to win. And befote you dish the Welsh again I am half English.

England were nowhere near the level of these two teams, nor indeed Belgium.

Had the draw been different they would not have beaten Brazil.

I am delighted at their progress but do not wear blinkers
    Sport is sport, anything can happen on the day.

Yes England are not in the top tier yet but they have made progress this tournament and hopefully there will be more to come
    With lack of opportunities for young English players,WE must send them to the top leagues around Europe.
    What is stopping the top leagues from around Europe buying young English players?

Maybe they just don't want them.
  • Options

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well done France on winning the World Cup but a respectable performance from Croatia too

It does annoy me the cynicism about England now after the unjustified triumphalism last week. At the end of the day it was our joint best World Cup performance since 1966 when most, including me, thought we would be lucky to get to the quarter finals. We also have a world class goalkeeper now and a shrewd manager and a young team so plenty of room to improve. Though as you are Welsh I know you have no vested interested in England really beyond bring a home nation
    Do not be so silly. I wanted England to win. And befote you dish the Welsh again I am half English.

Yes England are not in the top tier yet but they have made progress this tournament and hopefully there will be more to come
    England are definitely improving, at all levels, they seem to have learned from the British Olympics Team.

https://twitter.com/Coral/status/1017691350207041536

In the next decade or two we will win either the euros or the World Cup. I am willing to bet on it, tho I acccept there is a fair chance I will die of cirrhosis before I need to claim my winnings.
    Only thing Sean,with foriegn owners and manager's,the young players are not getting the chance in the first team.

Look at Chelsea for example,best young players in the country for the last few years,how many made it to the first team.

We have to up our talent pool and send them abroad to top leagues in Europe .
    I struggle with the idea that our young players having less competition would make them better. It's like arguing that if we prevented iPhones from coming into the UK then the we'd make a phone that was better than the iPhone.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With lack of opportunities for young English players,WE must send them to the top leagues around Europe.
    What is stopping the top leagues from around Europe buying young English players?

Well the Premier league takes loads of average foriegn players,I'm sure with U-20's and U-17's world cups behind them,we could easily get them to top clubs in Europe to take them instead of rotting in reserve/ youth teams here.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Odd to say 'in their current form'. What would make its form slightly more acceptable?
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

England are definitely improving, at all levels, they seem to have learned from the British Olympics Team.

In the next decade or two we will win either the euros or the World Cup. I am willing to bet on it, tho I acccept there is a fair chance I will die of cirrhosis before I need to claim my winnings.
    Only thing Sean,with foriegn owners and manager's,the young players are not getting the chance in the first team.

Look at Chelsea for example,best young players in the country for the last few years,how many made it to the first team.

With a hard Brexit opportunity might be better at home in the future ...
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227

Croatia's President looks OK :)

You should see her in a bikini !
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

This is just weird. The people of WOxon (of which I’m one) voted Remain, unlike Robert Courts.
    If Robert Courts MP is hoping to see his name on tomorrow's front pages, I fear he might be disappointed.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Hopefully it may be changing, Pep is playing Foden, Pochettino has always played young English talent, Klopp last season bought Trent-Arnold into the team. We used to have managers playing totally foreign born players. Now the top teams have a lot more English players playing for them,
  • Options

Well what do you expect, good manners from a nation of collaborators?

twitter.com/Dr_Kavoussi/status/1018538909267980289

Collaborators? You do mean the Croats?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_State_of_Croatia
    Minus Tito and the communists most Croats collaborated happily. In fact, most are racists even today as are most East Europeans including the Russians.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

For some reason, English players, on average, are too expensive !
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    surby said:
    Qatar is an awful place to host a world cup on its size.

It is smaller than Montenegro.
  • Options
    Plus Russia is the last summer world cup we'll experience for eight years.
  • Options
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289

Ishmael_Z said:

Now these are real collaborators.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Legion

PS I challenge you to go to Zagreb and call the heirs and people of Tito Nazi collaborators.
    They are also the heirs and people of Slavko Kvaternik.

And the French are the heirs and people of Charles de Gaulle. And if you refought ww2 with the Channel paved over you'd have found collaborators and resisters here too.
    TSE seems to think only the French collaborated with the Nazis, but there were collaborators in every nation either taken over by the Nazis or which were formally aligned with Germany. Even in the Soviet territory controlled by Nazis.
    "Even"?? They had more excuse than most, given what they had suffered under their own regime.
  • Options
    surby said:

Minus Tito and the communists most Croats collaborated happily. In fact, most are racists even today as are most East Europeans including the Russians.
    And another thing: they're all into stereotyping.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    edited July 2018
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I agree big g is to negative.England were best team in first half against croatia they should have been two or three up and game over..

However they missed their best chance of getting to a final , on the easier side of the knockout stages.
  • Options
    Croatia loses and a Serb wins!
  • Options

surby said:

Look , Q won fair and square. They paid off more countries and more delegates and FIFA officials than their competitors. They won an auction !
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    surby said:

surby said:

Look , Q won fair and square. They paid off more countries and more delegates and FIFA officials than their competitors. They won an auction !
    All Qatar needs to do now is to persuade enough world class players to take Qatari citizenship and they can lift the trophy.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689
    edited July 2018
    surby said:

Tito was a Slovene, not a Croat as I recall. He became a Communist while a POW in Russia during WW1.

Great game, and a very positive atmosphere in both world cup cities that I have seen. A few Africans, many Latin Americans and a surprising number of Indians, Chinese and Israelis here to enjoy the football. No hint of any trouble.

I dislike their government, but the Russian people are fabulous hosts. Qatar may be surprisingly OK too. Their promotional team here has softened my opinion of their bid.

Most important of all the dramas have all been on the pitch, not off it. France deserved winners.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    Watching the BBC News Channel - looks like there is a big pro-Tommy Robinson rally in Paris tonight.

And another one in Zagreb.
  • Options
    What with other events this week, this seems to have not made PB news:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1017539465399685120?s=19

The LD lost by a single vote.
  • Options

Watching the BBC News Channel - looks like there is a big pro-Tommy Robinson rally in Paris tonight.

And another one in Zagreb.

https://twitter.com/tseofpb/status/1018538599476686848?s=21
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Who is Ian Whittaker? Genuine question.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    rcs1000 said:

surby said:

And too fecking thick to see that "most Croats are racist" is an overtly racist claim.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,356
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It does annoy me the cynicism about England now after the unjustified triumphalism last week. . Though as you are Welsh I know you have no vested interested in England really beyond bring a home nation

They're definitely improving - although you win a tournament you need luck and everything to come together at the right moment so I think you're being a little too optimistic. After all, the generation of Argentinians including Messi, Tevez, Mascherano, Higuain, Aguero, and Di Maria looks like they'll never win a World Cup. The reason why - that for all that talent they were still missing world class players in key positions - is what I'd worry about with England. One reason Southgate deserves praise is that he devised a system to cope with the fact we're unbelievably light in central midfield. Eventually that got found out by a Croatia side who weren't. Looking at the players coming through, the best of the bunch all look similar to where we're strong already - Foden, Lookman, Sessegnon, Sancho, and Woodburn are all tricky attacking midfield/winger types. Having ten brilliant forwards isn't much good if we're still having to make-do-and-mend in central midfield.

Also, that France team looks frightening for the future too. Half of them are still very young - and there's a load of young players they left out who probably would've made most other squads.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    surby said:

They make silly generalisations, as well.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    I wonder whether Theresa May as Home Secretary would have banned Steve Bannon from entering the country?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

surby said:

And too fecking thick to see that "most Croats are racist" is an overtly racist claim.
    Surely xenophobic, not racist?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Foxy said:

surby said:

Tito was a Slovene, not a Croat as I recall. He became a Communist while a POW in Russia during WW1.

Great game, and a very positive atmosphere in both world cup cities that I have seen. A few Africans, many Latin Americans and a surprising number of Indians, Chinese and Israelis here to enjoy the football. No hint of any trouble.

I dislike their government, but the Russian people are fabulous hosts. Qatar may be surprisingly OK too. Their promotional team here has softened my opinion of their bid.

Most important of all the dramas have all been on the pitch, not off it. France deserved winners.

Its a tie in the fantasy footie...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

surby said:

Surely xenophobic, not racist?
    All them Slavs looks the same to me, Guv.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    WTF.....

Elon Musk calls British diver in Thai cave rescue a 'pedo' in baseless attack

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jul/15/elon-musk-british-diver-thai-cave-rescue-pedo-twitter
  • Options

Foxy said:

surby said:

Its a tie in the fantasy footie...
    Time to set up the PB PL one as a tie breaker?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Foxy said:

What with other events this week, this seems to have not made PB news:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1017539465399685120?s=19

The LD lost by a single vote.

even better

https://twitter.com/chris_brookes97/status/1017546207349170182
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    Foxy said:

surby said:

My mum visited Russia with a friend last year, and they found the Russians very rude and unfriendly for the most part.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

WTF.....

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jul/15/elon-musk-british-diver-thai-cave-rescue-pedo-twitter

He's not tweeted for a few hours...
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Foxy said:

surby said:

Tito was a Slovene, not a Croat as I recall.
    Croat father, Slovene mother. Born in what is today Croatia.
  • Options
    MJW said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It does annoy me the cynicism about England now after the unjustified triumphalism last week. . Though as you are Welsh I know you have no vested interested in England really beyond bring a home nation

They're definitely improving - although you win a tournament you need luck and everything to come together at the right moment so I think you're being a little too optimistic. After all, the generation of Argentinians including Messi, Tevez, Mascherano, Higuain, Aguero, and Di Maria looks like they'll never win a World Cup. The reason why - that for all that talent they were still missing world class players in key positions - is what I'd worry about with England. One reason Southgate deserves praise is that he devised a system to cope with the fact we're unbelievably light in central midfield. Eventually that got found out by a Croatia side who weren't. Looking at the players coming through, the best of the bunch all look similar to where we're strong already - Foden, Lookman, Sessegnon, Sancho, and Woodburn are all tricky attacking midfield/winger types. Having ten brilliant forwards isn't much good if we're still having to make-do-and-mend in central midfield.

Also, that France team looks frightening for the future too. Half of them are still very young - and there's a load of young players they left out who probably would've made most other squads.
    Leicesters new signing Maddison may well develop very nicely as a CM.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

WTF.....

OK - He's deleted his tweets now.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

WTF.....

"Hi Elon, this is our lawyer. I know you've got plenty of cash, but I'd like a sizable payment on account unless you delete that"
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Foxy said:

MJW said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Robbed Norwich. Again. Every season.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

WTF.....

You'd think that Musk'd know that t'Internet never forgets. :)

In all seriousness, he should do more than just delete them. At the very least an apology, and a sizeable sum to rescue charities that actually know what they're doing might be in order ...
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

WTF.....

"Hi Elon, this is our lawyer. I know you've got plenty of cash, but I'd like a sizable payment on account unless you delete that"
    He's entitled to defend that his sub idea wasn't a PR stunt (In the same way he clearly donates to ALL political parties in the US) but he needs to apologise for the pedo comment..
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Too many tweets make a twat..
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,826
    edited July 2018
    Roger said:

I wonder whether Theresa May as Home Secretary would have banned Steve Bannon from entering the country?

With that skin condition, you could argue he's a health risk...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incredible_Melting_Man
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Musks tweet is the latest in recent string of rather odd behaviour which is made even stranger given how PR savvy he has been in the past.
  • Options

Foxy said:

MJW said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Robbed Norwich. Again. Every season.
    I cannot remember our last signing from Norwich, but Maddison certainly sounds good.
  • Options

Musks tweet is the latest in recent string of rather odd behaviour which is made even stranger given how PR savvy he has been in the past.

This feels a bit like when last rocket blew up.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    edited July 2018
    Foxy said:

MJW said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Kieran Dowell is another to watch from the WC under 20's as a CM. He was outstanding on loan at Forest. Needs to play for Everton in PL this season though.
    Another member of that team Lookman did play in the Bundesliga for Leipzig on loan last season. Which should please TykeJohnno.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

WTF.....

He's entitled to defend that his sub idea wasn't a PR stunt (In the same way he clearly donates to ALL political parties in the US) but he needs to apologise for the pedo comment..
    It'd be interesting to know what went on behind the scenes to create this much mess. It seems odd when people from many nations worked together and got the job done with apparently minimal argument. Yet Musk and his crew turn up and there's totally unnecessary and unneeded drama.

The sense of entitlement that comes from working at a large prestigious tech company can be rather overwhelming, and I can imagine some engineers putting noses of the 'real' rescuers out of joint by making silly demands for things like access to resources or the site.

Such is the nature of engineers, who often want to see their creations used.

Guess who has never worked for a prestigious tech company, yet alone a large one? ;)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

WTF.....

I'm not sure if it is a good or bad thing that in this day and age we get to see how silly and petty some billionaires (and the powerful) are through the medium of twitter.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited July 2018
    SeanT said:

well done France

Is that Foxy after his bet was landed?
    Oh God, Macron is going to be insufferable.
    Some English still are about ***1966***
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,356
    Foxy said:

MJW said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good little player Maddison. Quite forward thinking at the moment though - will have to see how he develops in the Prem. Ideally want someone to sit a bit deeper and conduct things and someone to break up the play.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,726
    edited July 2018
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

WTF.....

I don't think the sub idea was a publicity stunt, but Musk forgot that the dive team had the responsibility to get the boys out alive; he didn't. The team leader took a few seconds to decide the sub wasn't going to work and/or was too risky and that Musk was in the way.

Musk comes across as somewhat sociopathic.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

This feels a bit like when last rocket blew up.
    More like the CRS-7 failure, when SpaceX blamed a supplier. Yet when the NASA report came out, it turned out the supplier was blameless and it was a design error by SpaceX.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2018/03/nasas-irt-publishes-crs-7-failure/

"In simpler terms, the steel strut that SpaceX chose was not certified to be used in such conditions. Furthermore, SpaceX did not meet the 4:1 redundancy requirement that the manufacturer had instructed."
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,706

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

WTF.....

You'd think that Musk'd know that t'Internet never forgets. :)

In all seriousness, he should do more than just delete them. At the very least an apology, and a sizeable sum to rescue charities that actually know what they're doing might be in order ...
    https://twitter.com/RespectableLaw/status/1018543174820794370
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

WTF.....

I'm not sure if it is a good or bad thing that in this day and age we get to see how silly and petty some billionaires (and the powerful) are through the medium of twitter.
    It'd be funny if they could show us through the medium of interpretative dance. :)
  • Options
    On topic, It seems abit tight of schedule to have a Tory leadership contest before the summer break, so I cannot see one happening before party conference. By then there should at least be some indication of how The Chequers Plan has gone down in the EU. Things could change very quickly, but does McVey have the support to make it to a membership ballot? I cannot see it myself.

There will be twists and turns before it is over, but the Chequers plan is likely to happen. Its not so baad as we do gain the advantage of having well thrashed out EU regulations.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    And the UK press has got it:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/thai-cave-rescue-elon-musk-british-diver-vern-unsworth-twitter-pedo-a8448366.html

Plucky British hero vs arrogant American billionaire....I wonder whose side they'll pick...?
  • Options
    I am presuming musk hasn’t claimed his twitter account has been hacked?
  • Options
    MJW said:

Foxy said:

MJW said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

England are definitely

Good little player Maddison. Quite forward thinking at the moment though - will have to see how he develops in the Prem. Ideally want someone to sit a bit deeper and conduct things and someone to break up the play.
    Leicesters own Hamza Choudhary? He has made his prem debut and has a cult following.
  • Options

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/thai-cave-rescue-elon-musk-british-diver-vern-unsworth-twitter-pedo-a8448366.html

Plucky British hero vs arrogant American billionaire....I wonder whose side they'll pick...?

One interesting thing is that Musk's account of the rescue is very different to other peoples. He says: "Water level was actually very low & still (not flowing) — you could literally have swum to Cave 5 with no gear, which is obv how the kids got in."

Except the water had gone up since the kids got in, and hence the problem. Whilst some of the way in was dry, diving was still necessary to get them out. Unless I've misunderstood something.

And on another point:; he wants to risk the lives of other divers by sending his pod in to test it. That's a dickish way to try to prove a point.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    Toms said:

SeanT said:

well done France

Is that Foxy after his bet was landed?
    Oh God, Macron is going to be insufferable.
    Some English still are about ***1966***
    And as for those 1066 feckers..
  • Options

One interesting thing is that Musk's account of the rescue is very different to other peoples. He says: "Water level was actually very low & still (not flowing) — you could literally have swum to Cave 5 with no gear, which is obv how the kids got in."

Except the water had gone up since the kids got in, and hence the problem. Whilst some of the way in was dry, diving was still necessary to get them out. Unless I've misunderstood something.

And on another point:; he wants to risk the lives of other divers by sending his pod in to test it. That's a dickish way to try to prove a point.
    He'd earlier criticised the Thai leaders of the operation too:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/jul/10/elon-musk-queries-expertise-of-thai-cave-rescue-officials

Billionaire bully pulpit.....I hope he gets cut down to size.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687

If it was as easy as Musk says, why did a Thai Navy diver die?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:
    Some 'rallying call', it's behind a blimmin' paywall.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:
    "It was almost exactly two years ago that I went into the Durbar Court in the Foreign Office. It was my first day as foreign secretary, and I stood within that vast marble atrium adorned with the busts of explorers, and I announced a vision."

"...I announced a vision"? FFS!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:
    I announced a vision.

It wasn’t a policy.

Boris, in a nutshell.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:
    People don't need to see it. It's about the reporting that Boris has said something, and is not May. I no longer have a subscription to the Telegraph, but I assume it will be stirring but light on content aside from a few core ideas to show distinction from the government position.

How things play out in the party are in his hands perhaps more than anyone - act now Boris, or your words are the extent of it, and when you do a Corbyn and claim later you would have done better should we believe him just as much as you?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Does she specify whether she means an In/Out referendum or Deal/No Deal referendum?
  • Options
    She was going to hold Putney a month or two ago but on today's polls she's likely to lose it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:
    Take it from me you aren't missing much; Boris channelling his inner Donald.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Does she specify whether she means an In/Out referendum or Deal/No Deal referendum?
    Time for @AndyCooke proposed dual question to settle the issue forever*

Should Britain accept the deal

Accept/Reject

If the deal is rejected should Britain

Remain in the EU/Leave the EU with no deal.

*Well for a generation, an SNP generation..
  • Options

Who is Ian Whittaker? Genuine question.

Did we get an answer to this? Is Ian a PB poster?
  • Options
    The last part of the showtime documentary on NYT is currently in, it is essential viewing.
  • Options
    Further detail is needed as to whether that deals a blow to May's hope of support for her Brexit compromise or not - a referendum on the deal might be the only chance May has of getting it through, given Labour won't support it and she probably doesn't have the MPs to back it either. A referendum to remain or no deal on the other hand would be a blow.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

In her article Ms Greening says that it will be “unacceptable” for MPs to impose a compromise on the electorate.

The former minister argues that the second referendum should not be a “divisive, binary choice”, proposing that voters are presented with three choices: the prime minister’s negotiated deal; staying in the EU; or a clean break. The voting system should involve first and second preference votes, she says.

Ms Greening has support of other Remain-backing Tories including Amber Rudd, the former home secretary. Dominic Grieve, the former attorney-general, is expected to lend qualified backing in the coming days.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Time for @AndyCooke proposed dual question to settle the issue forever*

Should Britain accept the deal

Accept/Reject

If the deal is rejected should Britain

Remain in the EU/Leave the EU with no deal.

*Well for a generation, an SNP generation..
    Mmmm that would be an interesting one pair to call.
  • Options
    A Brexit referendum conducted under AV......
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:
    Worth paying up for the extraordinary photo of a misty eyed Boris looking just like the Hitler Youth bloke who sings Tomorrow belongs to Me in Cabaret, against a Union Jack background. The UKIP hypothesis is strengthened.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Danny565 said:

In her article Ms Greening says that it will be “unacceptable” for MPs to impose a compromise on the electorate.

The former minister argues that the second referendum should not be a “divisive, binary choice”, proposing that voters are presented with three choices: the prime minister’s negotiated deal; staying in the EU; or a clean break. The voting system should involve first and second preference votes, she says.

Ms Greening has support of other Remain-backing Tories including Amber Rudd, the former home secretary. Dominic Grieve, the former attorney-general, is expected to lend qualified backing in the coming days.
    That is a blow then - remainer MPs are hoping for Remain, rather than accepting the May compromise as being softer than most Tory members want.

May's deal is pretty dead then, as expected. She hasn't managed to sell it to the membership, and even the remainers, or some of them anyway, won't back it.

Edit - some interesting wording on it not being a 'divisive, binary choice'. It would still be divisive after all, but it tries to given the impression it wouldn't be.

It probably is the least worst option left though.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:
    Worth paying up for the extraordinary photo of a misty eyed Boris looking just like the Hitler Youth bloke who sings Tomorrow belongs to Me in Cabaret, against a Union Jack background. The UKIP hypothesis is strengthened.
    Oh I've got that bit, and this

Global Britain is not a vainglorious dream - which sums up Boris
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:
    No need to pay up - just register and you get a number of free articles per week/month (can't remember how many or over what period but provides more than enough Torygraph for me!)

PS Very true about the Tomorrow Belongs To Me guy - and what a chilling song that is.

PPS What's the UKIP hypothesis?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Danny565 said:

It sounds like a horrendous idea, and would probably just result in No Deal winning, for the exact same reasons that Brexit won the first referendum ("No Deal" would be the blank slate of those 3 options, and therefore floating voters could just project whatever they wanted onto it).
  • Options

A Brexit referendum conducted under AV......

Adult Videos? :open_mouth:
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:
    No need to pay up - just register and you get a number of free articles per week/month (can't remember how many or over what period but provides more than enough Torygraph for me!)

PS Very true about the Tomorrow Belongs To Me guy - and what a chilling song that is.

@josiasjessop's theory that BoJo will reinvent himself as the Heir to Farage cos there's nowhere else for him to go.
  • Options
    Is sending sexts the only thing he did? In which case he might well not be fit to be an MP, but plenty aren't. His association and his constituents will deal with him.
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

It sounds like a horrendous idea, and would probably just result in No Deal winning, for the exact same reasons that Brexit won the first referendum ("No Deal" would be the blank slate of those 3 options, and therefore floating voters could just project whatever they wanted onto it).
    Maybe. But remainers, on balance, seem to be going all in, as are the harder leavers. No deal or remain, no one wants a sordid compromise it seems.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Not necessarily. If they know he is a Leaver perhaps they prefer an MP who will stand on his principles regardless of whether they agree or not.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I don't get why he's stood down as a minister but not as an MP. You tend to resign as a minister (But not an MP) when you have a disagreement with Gov't policy/mislead the house or some such. This is Brooks Newmark Mk II but we're far too far from a general election to make the whole 'I'll stand down at the next election' look vaguely credible for the Tories.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

@josiasjessop's theory that BoJo will reinvent himself as the Heir to Farage cos there's nowhere else for him to go.
    Thanks for that (I shall have nightmares now :wink:)
This discussion has been closed.