Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There signs are that TMay might have to face a confidence moti

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    edited July 2018
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Endgame for May's premiership?

Davis could go one of two ways:

- Fall in with the hard Brexit mob
    - Say that Brexit can't be done

If it's the latter, then May will be the mistress of all she surveys.
    What possible reason would he have for saying the latter? What political benefit would there be to saying that, even if it is true?
    His career's over. He might as well do what's in the national interest and the long-term interests of his party.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    kle4 said:

Ah, so he's resigning under the 'I'm an idiot' defence? In that I assume he is resigning over the proposed May deal, yet he was publicly stated to have been in favour of it 2 days ago, and apparently didn't realise what it was he had agreed to?

The more important question is what Civil War era figure he is analgous to.

Hmm. Blustering and ineffective figure, ostensibly leading the fight but not as talented as underlings and his heart didn't seem to be in it. Manchester? I don't recall much about him to be honest.
    Robert Morley played Manchester brilliantly in Richard Harris' Cromwell
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Have you all watched @rcs1000 latest video - essential.

Yes, very good again. What I am not entirely sure I get is what the imputed rent is a measure of. Is it the income benefit I get from being in my house or is it what I should expect in capital appreciation? I suppose using the share analogy should I be looking at the dividend yield or the capital appreciation?

If I apply 4.4% compound to what I paid for the house 26 years ago I come out at a capital value very close to what it is worth (ignoring the cost of the conservatory etc) at least in nominal terms (in real terms it has been a poor investment) but should I really be thinking that the house has been worth that putative yield to my income, so that if my costs have been less than that then I have made a profit or should I be looking solely at the capital value?

Whilst the rental return gives an idea of what the asset should be worth if it is let out I am not entirely convinced that it works for owner occupation. The house may allow my children to attend a good state school, for example, making it more valuable to me when my children are young. I also think using the share analogy that anyone who bought in Hampstead 26 years ago will have massively exceeded a 4.4% return, even in capital values.
    It confuses the ONS as well.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/uksectoraccounts/articles/changestonationalaccounts/imputedrental
    I'm going to do another video on imputed rent, simply because I came up with so much material on it when I was doing this video.

Did you know that in Switzerland, you need to declare imputed rent as income, and you pay tax on it? (And that was the case in the UK too until about 1968.)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Is this the first policy resignation from May's cabinet since she took over?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Boris next?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Ah, so he's resigning under the 'I'm an idiot' defence? In that I assume he is resigning over the proposed May deal, yet he was publicly stated to have been in favour of it 2 days ago, and apparently didn't realise what it was he had agreed to?

Hmm. Blustering and ineffective figure, ostensibly leading the fight but not as talented as underlings and his heart didn't seem to be in it. Manchester? I don't recall much about him to be honest.
    Embarrassingly I have never seen it.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

It will definitely be the former, this is clearly calculated to shift Davis ahead of Boris and Gove as the non Mogg hard Brexit candidate to succeed May as Tory leader and PM
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Why didn't Davis resign on Friday ?
  • Options

Paging brenda from bristol....you might need to do some more of that voting lark.

Not unless the DUP complain which is unlikely, there was no general election for 2 years when Thatcher fell
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Perhaps George Osborne is Charles II - the natural successor to Charles I who was dismissed with ease and fled, only he will return years down the line when the system collapses, with the help of a figure who was both an ally then an enemy of his cause.

One problem, Charles IInd was popular and likeable.

Chuka Umunna is probably more likely
    Who knows how popular Osborne might be to the dystopic times we may find ourselves in.
    At the moment he is about as popular as a used turd but you never know I suppose
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Who the hell resigns at midnight on a Sunday night?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

To annoy the papers. (If the question was "why" rather than "who").
  • Options

Someone under extreme stress.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

This might be the start of an orchestrated mass resignation of Leavers from Mrs May's government?
  • Options

Amber Rudd did this too. Why can't they ever wait till bloody Monday ?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited July 2018
    David Davis in a resignation shocker. Perhaps there should be a by-election in his seat. He loves one of those.

And he was doing sooooo well.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

It will definitely be the former, this is clearly calculated to shift Davis ahead of Boris and Gove as the non Mogg hard Brexit candidate to succeed May as Tory leader and PM
    Stupid idea. He agreed to it! What's he going to say? 'Yeah, I agreed to this terrible deal, but you can count on me to know the right path now, guys and gals'

How could a Hard Brexiteer believe a word he says about believing in a Hard Brexit after the Chequers meeting? That, at least, was a genius part of May's maneuvering. If he is resigning a point of principle about the government's Brexit path, how does he square that with agreeing to it not two days ago?

Only one way - the idiot defence. Which also does not help his chances.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes, very good again. What I am not entirely sure I get is what the imputed rent is a measure of. Is it the income benefit I get from being in my house or is it what I should expect in capital appreciation? I suppose using the share analogy should I be looking at the dividend yield or the capital appreciation?

If I apply 4.4% compound to what I paid for the house 26 years ago I come out at a capital value very close to what it is worth (ignoring the cost of the conservatory etc) at least in nominal terms (in real terms it has been a poor investment) but should I really be thinking that the house has been worth that putative yield to my income, so that if my costs have been less than that then I have made a profit or should I be looking solely at the capital value?

Whilst the rental return gives an idea of what the asset should be worth if it is let out I am not entirely convinced that it works for owner occupation. The house may allow my children to attend a good state school, for example, making it more valuable to me when my children are young. I also think using the share analogy that anyone who bought in Hampstead 26 years ago will have massively exceeded a 4.4% return, even in capital values.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/uksectoraccounts/articles/changestonationalaccounts/imputedrental
    I'm going to do another video on imputed rent, simply because I came up with so much material on it when I was doing this video.

Did you know that in Switzerland, you need to declare imputed rent as income, and you pay tax on it? (And that was the case in the UK too until about 1968.)
    I suspect that would not be a popular tax now.

How much would it roughly be ?

£200k house x5% = £10k x20% = £2k ?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Someone who wants to lead the Today programme, the late editions of the papers and all the morning news bulletins and set the agenda for the whole week
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

This might be the start of an orchestrated mass resignation of Leavers from Mrs May's government?
    If one thought they were extremely cunning and organised....but the evidence presented so far doesn’t really support that.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

He has hardly set the heather of fire in his Brexit brief, why on earth would he be any use as party Leader or PM in No10? What ever the question, he ain't the answer.
  • Options

Davis at Midnight. Boris at Breakfast... ;)
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Hopefully this means the letters will be in before the end of tomorrow and the confidence vote will be on Tuesday and not clash with the England match. Well done David Davis.
  • Options
    Whether you voted remain or leave, it's tricky to argue that David Davis wasn't shat all over by Barnier.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't think so. Davis has been broken by it and can't keep up appearances any longer.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    Pulpstar said:

He agreed very reluctantly on Friday, slept on it and then came to the conclusion 'no way'. Will he now do a Geoffrey Howe?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    If even united Cabinet agreement cannot stop a proposal from unravelling, then what the hell good was it?

I guess the only question is if the rebels wait to see if the EU will reject first before they pull the trigger. If the EU does then they have 2 reasons to call a vote - that her proposal was unacceptable and it was stupid anyway - and if the EU looks receptive they can still push ahead on the basis that it is unacceptable.
    I am coming to the conclusion that we need a second vote. But it should be, again, Leave or Remain.
    If the result is remain 52:48, then what? A third vote?
    We accept whatever it says, which by definition (I think) will be a pretty hard Brexit or a pretty hard Remain.

Right now this is like the shape of England after the Civil War being decided by a bunch of mediocre, careerist lawyers on a ketamine bender. At least in the Civil Wars they had the Putney Debates to decide what KIND of England they wanted after they killed the king.

That's what we need. The PUTNEY DEBATES 2.0. Then another vote. And end.

As I recall the Civil War had two phases.....
    The Putney Debates happened before the decision to kill the king was taken (some of those arguing against being harsher with him ended up being the ones taking that decision) and they sure hadn't agreed on what kind of England they wanted after the King was killed (hence the multiple attempts at constitutions/offerings of the crown/direct military rule etc), and the Civil War had more than two phases, even if we only focus on the English parts of the whole conflict.

Theresa May as Thomas Fairfax? Leading the armies but not politically in control, to be overtaken by more driven and passionate underlings?
    Michael Gove as John Lambert? Able and intelligent, but never able to put his ideas fully into practice, shifting allegiances and making one last play for the top job only to fail?
    Boris Johnson as George Monck? Fought on one side, then the other, then remained aloof until a final confrontation in bringing things back full circle to where it all began?

(for any historians, these comparisons are not serious)
    So who is Cromwell?
    James Cromwell? "I wouldn't trade places with Edmund Exley right now for all the whiskey in Ireland!"
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

It is well worth a watch, it is often on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon on BBC2 or C4
  • Options
    edited July 2018
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

I suspect that would not be a popular tax now.

How much would it roughly be ?

£200k house x5% = £10k x20% = £2k ?
    £400 more than my council tax per year for me.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Whether you voted remain or leave, it's tricky to argue that David Davis wasn't shat all over by Barnier.

Davis was shat all over by Theresa May and Oliver Robbins.

How could he ever have a genuine "negotiation" when May and Robbins were selling out at every turn?

His resignation speech could be dynamite.
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612
    HYUFD said:
    FINALLY. A cabinet minister with integrity.

I remember the day May appointed Davis. I said to my wife that this pretty much guaranteed a real Brexit because Davis is a man of principle and would never preside over a sellout. He has tested my faith considerably! But I think that he felt that up to now, it was better to stay and fight.

He quite reasonably has decided that there is now no point in fighting from the inside because May will not listen to the Leavers at all.

Hilarious to see the Remainers immediately try to spin this as good for May/Davis is irrelevant etc. When the Minister for Brexit resigns because your Brexit means Remain, you are in big trouble.

Well done DD. You fought May with passion and integrity and did your duty to your country. Good man.
  • Options
    Almost exactly 10 years since the by-election that David Davis caused in Haltemprice and Howden, which was held on 10th July 2008. (I can't believe it was that long ago).
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    Tim_B said:

There was a fascinating example of how NYT have lost touch with what I would call real America. They send a reporter to interview a husband and wife in Ohio who were Trump voters, are very poor and received a grant from a federal programme for home improvements, which Trump has said isn't a good use of public money.

They obviously think they are going to get an angry reaction from the couple, hopefully with them ranting that Trump has sold them out, but the reporter is clearly shocked and confused when they say, actually if that is what is required to balance a budget / improve the state of US economy, so be it.

Anybody who knows middle America will understand that isn't because they support Trump, it is why Trump's shtick resonates in the first place.

Like him or loathe him, Trump is highly intelligent. He went to Wharton. But really he is a New York real estate wheeler dealer. He should be taken seriously, but not literally. He is not a politician, and is results oriented. Don't get hung up on the untruths he mouths.
    Do we know his grades at Wharton? Plenty of rich kids get into American colleges thanks to donations from Daddy.

As for doing this stuff to balance the budget, that's a laugh when Trump has brought in trillion dollar deficits thanks to his tax cuts for the 1%.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    fitalass said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

He has hardly set the heather of fire in his Brexit brief, why on earth would he be any use as party Leader or PM in No10? What ever the question, he ain't the answer.
    To be honest all Tory Leavers want is someone who was in the Cabinet and a Brexiteer to oppose this deal, given Boris or Gove clearly would not and Mogg was not in the Cabinet Davis it would then have to be.

To be fair to Davis he polled about as well as May v Corbyn in a Survation poll last summer and that was before May's largely BINO deal
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Sadly not available for free on YouTube but this review of it looks good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IACDcwUKpRc
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

How could he ever have a genuine "negotiation" when May and Robbins were selling out at every turn?

If you want dynamite, why resign at half eleven on a Sunday?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

My guess is that *THE* main resignation will happen in the morning.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    If Suella Braverman goes then we truly are without hope.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336
    Pulpstar said:

I think we'll find he'll say he didn't wish to disrupt the Prime Minister's meeting, wanted to consider the package with time for mature reflection, etc. But it makes no sense unless he plans to lead a leadership assault. And if he does, will Boris be far behind? We can't complain that this Government is dull, can we?

The obvious replacement is Gove - generally acknowledged to be competent, came out fighting for the package yesterday, but an arch-Brexiteer. It'd be a shame for us environment/animal people as we want him exactly where he is now, but the logic looks compelling.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

Paging brenda from bristol....you might need to do some more of that voting lark.

Not unless the DUP complain which is unlikely, there was no general election for 2 years when Thatcher fell
    16 months to be precise!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Stupid idea. He agreed to it! What's he going to say? 'Yeah, I agreed to this terrible deal, but you can count on me to know the right path now, guys and gals'

How could a Hard Brexiteer believe a word he says about believing in a Hard Brexit after the Chequers meeting? That, at least, was a genius part of May's maneuvering. If he is resigning a point of principle about the government's Brexit path, how does he square that with agreeing to it not two days ago?

To be fair to Davis he was compelled to either agree on the spot or resign based on the broad principles. He's now had the weekend to read the full specific details of the white paper he's now supposed to be responsible for. Wouldn't surprise me if he's seen something in the white paper now he can't agree to.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes, his explanation of how it was such an obviously terrible deal he could not stay in post and keep his honour, and yet he plain didn't notice how terrible it was before the weekend, will be pretty interesting.

It's the same as when Carswell jumped ship and claimed all manner of things which had driven him to it, none of which had prevented him from defending any number of things he was then claiming he did not support.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

F*ck knows, surely resigning 5 minutes before the Today program has the most kaboom ?

Perhaps he can't set his alarm that early. Or something.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

He will probably say, I agreed it in principle UNTIL I read the detail, or similar
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

F*ck knows, surely resigning 5 minutes before the Today program has the most kaboom ?

What about our bets?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    PP To NOT be a Cabinet Minister at the end of 2018

DD @ 3

However my max stake was £2.50...
  • Options
    George Osborne the new Brexit Secretary.

Go on Theresa you know it makes sense.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    From Thursday...
    Jonathan said:

July 5 edited July 5
    It will all look different in 24hrs. A cabinet united around a great new plan, with May leading the nation into a new chapter of its history.

Mind you by Sunday, it will be back to BAU.

Enjoy the rickety rollercoaster, that is modern UK politics.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

What about our bets?
    I suspect my £15 in Shadsy's summer holiday fund.

Never mind, eh...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

If he knew that May would be in bed by eleven, perhaps?
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Tim_B said:

There was a fascinating example of how NYT have lost touch with what I would call real America. They send a reporter to interview a husband and wife in Ohio who were Trump voters, are very poor and received a grant from a federal programme for home improvements, which Trump has said isn't a good use of public money.

They obviously think they are going to get an angry reaction from the couple, hopefully with them ranting that Trump has sold them out, but the reporter is clearly shocked and confused when they say, actually if that is what is required to balance a budget / improve the state of US economy, so be it.

Anybody who knows middle America will understand that isn't because they support Trump, it is why Trump's shtick resonates in the first place.

Like him or loathe him, Trump is highly intelligent. He went to Wharton. But really he is a New York real estate wheeler dealer. He should be taken seriously, but not literally. He is not a politician, and is results oriented. Don't get hung up on the untruths he mouths.
    Many of the reports I've read from Stateside, indicate that Trump is highly belligerent, but no one has ever mentioned his peers thought he was intelligent or smart. As for Wharton, when Daddy pays the bills and the teachers seemingly passed him each year so as to get him out of their classes. Nope, he is the real wheeler shyster with a couple of bankrupt casino's, an airline, vodka and several other businesses leaving many small businesses to suffer cash crises as he shafted them. Hell, even the Cosa Nostra had to go straight they were making so much money from their casinos.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

He will probably say, I agreed it in principle UNTIL I read the detail, or similar
    He could even claim that may misrepresented some portion of it during the away day, especially is some others go with him...all claiming that the detail isn’t as was outlined during the discussion.
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

To be fair to Davis he was compelled to either agree on the spot or resign based on the broad principles. He's now had the weekend to read the full specific details of the white paper he's now supposed to be responsible for. Wouldn't surprise me if he's seen something in the white paper now he can't agree to.
    A faint excuse, but that's all I think. The immediate quotes about honouring manifesto promises make it seem that his resignation is a matter of broad principles, therefore it should have been perfectly clear if the principles of the May plan were acceptable or not. Being put on the spot is not much an excuse.

Seems to me he was probably not very happy about the plan, but had no alternative that could secure agreement around the table, and was too gutless to resign. Since then he's realised that the rank and file are even less satisfied than he expected, so it's time to get out and save himself after all.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

I doubt May and Robbins had even given him the courtesy (you know as the nominal Brexit secretary) of letting him see the white paper before the Chequers meeting.

He was probably as in the dark as anyone as to what it was going to say.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

This is a waste of effort argument. He is going to say he was isolated at the meeting, it was obvious that the vast majority of cabinet was in favour but he made his objections clear and that after reflection he could no longer abide by collective responsibility.

He did not make a statement saying he agreed with this deal so he hardly is going to have to defend a U-turn.

God, Remainers are going to be desperate today :)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

What about our bets?

Never mind, eh...
    Plus £20 on McVey as next out of the cabinet.

Davis is a right pooh head for my bets.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Pulpstar said:

I think we'll find he'll say he didn't wish to disrupt the Prime Minister's meeting, wanted to consider the package with time for mature reflection, etc. But it makes no sense unless he plans to lead a leadership assault. And if he does, will Boris be far behind? We can't complain that this Government is dull, can we?

The obvious replacement is Gove - generally acknowledged to be competent, came out fighting for the package yesterday, but an arch-Brexiteer. It'd be a shame for us environment/animal people as we want him exactly where he is now, but the logic looks compelling.
    Gove is dead in the water as next leader, I have not read one positive comment on him from Tory Leavers after his Marr interview this morning, they already consider him Judas. However Gove would be credible as next Brexit Secretary, agreed.

Davis has now jumped alongside Mogg as the prime alternative to May Brexit, Boris now has 48 hours to decide whether to join them or be lumped forever alongside the rest of the Cabinet to live and die with May's Brexit plan
  • Options
    Davis simply didn't have a cab fare.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

From Thursday...

Jonathan said:

July 5 edited July 5
    It will all look different in 24hrs. A cabinet united around a great new plan, with May leading the nation into a new chapter of its history.

Mind you by Sunday, it will be back to BAU.

Enjoy the rickety rollercoaster, that is modern UK politics.

Nostradamus walks among us
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Perhaps George Osborne is Charles II - the natural successor to Charles I who was dismissed with ease and fled, only he will return years down the line when the system collapses, with the help of a figure who was both an ally then an enemy of his cause.

Who knows how popular Osborne might be to the dystopic times we may find ourselves in.
    At the moment he is about as popular as a used turd but you never know I suppose
    Might be ok with a good polish.......
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

What about our bets?

Never mind, eh...
    Plus £20 on McVey as next out of the cabinet.

Davis is a right pooh head for my bets.
    How will we survive, TSE?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Its a right bugger when you are used to Uber and you go somewhere without it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Gove is dead in the water as next leader, I have not read one positive comment on him from Tory Leavers after his Marr interview this morning, they already consider him Judas. However Gove would be credible as next Brexit Secretary, agreed.

Davis has now jumped alongside Mogg as the prime alternative to May Brexit, Boris now has 48 hours to decide whether to join them or be lumped forever to live and die with May's Brexit plan
    I think Boris resigns at Brexit ;)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Ah, the hasty idiot defence.

Night all.

Fail to see how this does not lead to a challenge against the PM. Can she win? Probably. Will the ERG crowd back her plan if she does? I don't see how they could. Can it get through with Lab support? I don't see why they would do that.
  • Options
    Odds on a by-election in Haltemprice and Howden to determine the future of Brexit? :)
  • Options

I assume Braverman and Baker will go with him?

Don't worry, May can appoint Clarke, Grieve and Soubry to staff the Brexit department!

On a serious note, who can she appoint? She will look ridiculous if she appoints Remainers and not sure any Leaver would take the job (or would look utterly ridiculous if they did).

I suspect she will abolish the whole Department. Which will make no deal planning somewhat more difficult.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Word in the Scottish press is that Salmond is working his old Banff and Buchan constituency to get elected to Westminster, yet again, at the next GE....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

This is a waste of effort argument. He is going to say he was isolated at the meeting, it was obvious that the vast majority of cabinet was in favour but he made his objections clear and that after reflection he could no longer abide by collective responsibility.

He did not make a statement saying he agreed with this deal so he hardly is going to have to defend a U-turn.

He has started the ball rolling that is for sure
  • Options
    Steve Baker has also resigned.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    This is being very poorly covered. Film programme followed by Newsday from Thailand on BBC 24. Recorded interview with Jess Phillips on abortion on R5L. Does no-one do live news?
    And, no, I won't pay for SKY.
  • Options
    David Davis has always struck me as a bit of a lone maverick after resigning in 2008. Is it possible that this rebellion could be contained by May? Will Boris be writing two articles overnight? He won't want to be on the wrong side of the tide on this one.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Gove is dead in the water, I have not read one positive comment on him from Tory Leavers after his Marr interview this morning, they already consider him Judas.

Davis has now jumped alongside Mogg as the prime alternative to May Brexit, Boris now has 48 hours to decide whether to join them or be lumped forever to live and die with May's Brexit plan
    You all thought that May was the Brexit dream ticket when Cameron resigned.. Seriously, Davis was given the key Brexit brief and simple has not delivered, leaving it to others to come up with a workable deal. It no use just sticking someone who supports a hard Brexit in No 10, they have to be competent and at least able to bring the party together. Both Boris and Davis have failed to deliver in their current jobs, time to find a couple of politicians who can do the job.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Didn't trust the trains under Grayling either.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Davis has now jumped alongside Mogg as the prime alternative to May Brexit, Boris now has 48 hours to decide whether to join them or be lumped forever alongside the rest of the Cabinet to live and die with May's Brexit plan
    Wow, the World really has changed. I agree with EVERY word of an HYUFD post. Shocked, I tell you!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

No surprise.
  • Options
    DD 25/1 on BF and 50/1 on PP (probably others) for next Con leader.

50/1 seems value, if you think the implication is that DD is up for it ( =having previously said no)
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    OchEye said:

Tim_B said:

Many of the reports I've read from Stateside, indicate that Trump is highly belligerent, but no one has ever mentioned his peers thought he was intelligent or smart. As for Wharton, when Daddy pays the bills and the teachers seemingly passed him each year so as to get him out of their classes. Nope, he is the real wheeler shyster with a couple of bankrupt casino's, an airline, vodka and several other businesses leaving many small businesses to suffer cash crises as he shafted them. Hell, even the Cosa Nostra had to go straight they were making so much money from their casinos.
    I saw a video of a George W Bush speech today and I have to say he seemed surprisingly articulate next to Trump, Trump knows how to work a crowd, strike a deal and make a buck, an intellectual though he is not
  • Options
    May needs to ring Corbyn to find out how to survive co-ordinated resignations. (ignore them)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

I voted Leave, thanks. He didn't make a public statement but it was made very clear that the statement was on behalf of all the Cabinet. Weasel words will not undo that it the case that he allowed it to go out as a statement that all agreed to, despite reservations they had going in. He has changed his position in 48 hours, and he has to explain that, and frankly his options are limited.

This was a day long meeting for heavens sake - I'm to believe all he got was brief detail, not enough to know if it breached his principles? Like hell. He had all day to go over every little thing he was concerned about and if that was not met, he could have resigned.

He didn't. He backed it. And then he regretted it, and is trying to reverse his direction. Being the first to do so buys him a little cover, as some will be so happy he did so, but it won't make his reversal any less a reversal.

• Options

I assume Braverman and Baker will go with him?

Don't worry, May can appoint Clarke, Grieve and Soubry to staff the Brexit department!

On a serious note, who can she appoint? She will look ridiculous if she appoints Remainers and not sure any Leaver would take the job (or would look utterly ridiculous if they did).

Gove would probably do it (little weasel that he is)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Amazed he lasted this long. Another man of principle. Maybe if we add them all up we can find enough to staff a cabinet after all.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,677
    fitalass said:

AndyJS said:

Why? It did not effect Cameron when Davis resigned last time from his Shadow Cabinet Home Office brief. That time it cost the taxpayer a vanity be-election to boot. He has been utterly useless in his role as Brexit Minister, has not ever really looked like he was particularly interested or engaged in the details of putting together a workable deal. He should be embarrassed that it was May's team that took up the slack and got on with it.
    Quite. Why didn’t the Brexiteers have a better plan than May’s? Who should have come up with that plan? Why didn’t he?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Another one gone too now it seems, Steve Baker, Brexit Minister has also resigned from the Government

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1016096385400279040
  • Options
    OchEye said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Word in the Scottish press is that Salmond is working his old Banff and Buchan constituency to get elected to Westminster, yet again, at the next GE....
    Never give up I guess.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    dixiedean said:

This is being very poorly covered. Film programme followed by Newsday from Thailand on BBC 24. Recorded interview with Jess Phillips on abortion on R5L. Does no-one do live news?

Sky news is free via free view and t’interweb.
  • Options
    One of the current jokes going around Scotland is that it's quite funny that the President's visit at this time of year, means that the Orange Order could really have an Orange Man in the Walks....
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Why do it at gone 11pm on a Sunday evening?

Why not wait until the morning when the media are better equipped to cover your flounce?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Steve Baker now
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Elliot said:

Tim_B said:

Do we know his grades at Wharton? Plenty of rich kids get into American colleges thanks to donations from Daddy.

As for doing this stuff to balance the budget, that's a laugh when Trump has brought in trillion dollar deficits thanks to his tax cuts for the 1%.
    +1.
  • Options
    This seems like it could be important. Davis was said to be critical of May's approach of putting forward something knowing that it would be rejected.

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/1011889780106416128
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Wow. The revolution continues.

The key figure is Boris. He has to follow unless he wants to lose whatever vestigial credibility he has left. This could be his final chance.

Gove is now tied to May, irretrievably. If she falls, he’ll never have another job in government.

If Sajid Javid wants to be PM, he needs to think very carefully about what he does next.
  • Options
    Sigh. This government makes us look like a basket case.

I am no fan of the EU in this, but I am not sure how we can expect anyone to negotiate with us when we're in this state.
  • Options

Why do it at gone 11pm on a Sunday evening?

Why not wait until the morning when the media are better equipped to cover your flounce?

An even bigger name is resigning in the morning...
  • Options
    edited July 2018

dixiedean said:

Sky news is free.
    Not on Freesat.
This discussion has been closed.