Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The betting markets are slightly less certain that the UK will

124»

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

DavidL said:

Meanwhile, the carnage continues: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-44696122

934 Scots in drug related deaths last year. Once again the highest in Europe. That is more than 10 times the murder rate, for example. How many have to die before we recognise that what we are doing isn't working?

The difference is that murder victims are innocent victims, dead smack-heads bring it on themselves.
    Fuuuuuck me.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

This is a betting site, allegedly, so I'm going to talk about betting.

This is a political betting site, allegedly, but I don't bet on politics any more. I did my proverbials on LD seats in 2015 and learnt a valuable lesson about not betting on sentiment.

If that applies to politics, it must also apply to other things. Looking at Paddy Power, I see England are 10/11 to win the QF in 90 minutes while Sweden are 7/2 and the Draw is 13/8.

This makes absolutely no sense to me from a form and value perspective - I make Sweden favourites and 7/2 looks the bet of the year to me. I also note Croatia are 6/5 favourites and Russia 11/4 which doesn't suggest much sentiment at work from the Paddy odds makers.

I generally bet against England in matches at major tournaments and over the years have made money - last night, I backed Columbia to win in 90 minutes and hedged on the draw. I backed Belgium last week and the draw in the Tunisia match.

It's not a question of not being patriotic - if you are betting you have to leave all that at the door. Should England, on what we've seen, be 10/11 and should Sweden, on what we've seen, be 7/2?

I'm also tempted by Belgium at 13/5 but they'll need 90 minutes plus ET to wear down Brazil so also backing 12/5 the draw looks a sound contingency.

It also provides the advantage of a nice earner to compensate for England losing. This is what I generally do. If England win you can rejoice in the win despite being a little poorer.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,501
    stodge said:

This is a political betting site, allegedly, but I don't bet on politics any more. I did my proverbials on LD seats in 2015 and learnt a valuable lesson about not betting on sentiment.

If that applies to politics, it must also apply to other things. Looking at Paddy Power, I see England are 10/11 to win the QF in 90 minutes while Sweden are 7/2 and the Draw is 13/8.

This makes absolutely no sense to me from a form and value perspective - I make Sweden favourites and 7/2 looks the bet of the year to me. I also note Croatia are 6/5 favourites and Russia 11/4 which doesn't suggest much sentiment at work from the Paddy odds makers.

I generally bet against England in matches at major tournaments and over the years have made money - last night, I backed Columbia to win in 90 minutes and hedged on the draw. I backed Belgium last week and the draw in the Tunisia match.

It's not a question of not being patriotic - if you are betting you have to leave all that at the door. Should England, on what we've seen, be 10/11 and should Sweden, on what we've seen, be 7/2?

I'm also tempted by Belgium at 13/5 but they'll need 90 minutes plus ET to wear down Brazil so also backing 12/5 the draw looks a sound contingency.

Agreed. I didsome back of a fag packet calculations earlier about what I think the percentage chances of each of the eight remaining teams have of winning the WC and then looked at what the bookies say. The difference is astounding! I reckon England have about a 6-10% chance of winning it from here. They are massively poor value. And I reckon it's a 50/50 toss up against Sweden at best. Again, England massively poor value. Lesson: bet against England!
    That hasn't stopped me today dreaming of how I would feel if they won.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    Alistair said:

DavidL said:

Meanwhile, the carnage continues: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-44696122

934 Scots in drug related deaths last year. Once again the highest in Europe. That is more than 10 times the murder rate, for example. How many have to die before we recognise that what we are doing isn't working?

The difference is that murder victims are innocent victims, dead smack-heads bring it on themselves.
    Fuuuuuck me.
    I wonder what drug addicts shot during gang warfare count as by that definition? Innocent victims or dead smackheads?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Portugal, a country which has a lower cannabis usage rate and a lower overdose death rate, lower HIV via needle sharing rate than the UK.

But decriminalisation definitely doesnt work. Sure.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,046

MaxPB said:

I think it had an 85% audience share and the figures don't count big groups very well. On Saturday we'll have 30-40 people over for the match. It will count as 3-5 viewers.

Well goodness only knows what the other 15% of the audience were watching. There's not usually any point in we non-football fans even bothering to check the TV listings during a tournament as there's never anything worth watching.

Nonetheless, despite my own aversion to football, I genuinely hope that you and your 40 friends have a good time on Saturday and that you get the result that you want. :)

We watched the crticket until that more or less ended, then turned over to the football. TBH there wasn;t a lot of alternative.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196
    https://tinyurl.com/yd9dea8g

Conservative MEPs have been criticised for an alliance with a Swedish anti-immigrant party that has its roots in white supremacism.

The European Conservatives and Reformists (ECR) group, the European parliament bloc dreamed up by David Cameron, agreed on Tuesday to welcome two members of the Sweden Democrats, an anti-immigrant populist party that has been advancing in the polls ahead of Swedish elections in September.

When I saw this news earlier today, I thought to myself "the Sweden Democrats are joining a group which contains the Tories?"
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,361

DavidL said:

That's tragic. But it also doesn't mean that a favoured alternative will work any better ...
    Well, Portugal have been successful in significantly reducing their death toll during a time when our death toll has doubled. It is not as nearly as simple as legalisation though. Instead the resources that are currently used to prosecute and lock up users and small suppliers have to be redirected towards treatment and withdrawal plans.

The Scottish government's plan of putting heroin addicts on methadone has done a great deal to increase the death toll, particularly amongst long term users who are the main source of the increased deaths. On the other hand I understand that their attempts to have medically regulated and "safe" shooting galleries in Glasgow is being thwarted by the London government. None of our politicians come out well on this for the reasons that @SandyRentool has somewhat uncharacteristically expressed.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883
    Cookie said:

Agreed. I didsome back of a fag packet calculations earlier about what I think the percentage chances of each of the eight remaining teams have of winning the WC and then looked at what the bookies say. The difference is astounding! I reckon England have about a 6-10% chance of winning it from here. They are massively poor value. And I reckon it's a 50/50 toss up against Sweden at best. Again, England massively poor value. Lesson: bet against England!

England are ALWAYS poor value in international matches at tournaments. The bookies know they will get all the patriotic money and make the book accordingly.

Once I learnt that nearly 30 years ago it was easy - the value is always to oppose England. Now, there's no point being silly and backing the likes of Panama to beat England (I really wish I'd had more on Iceland at Euro 2016 but even I didn't believe that was possible) but I thought we might be held to a draw by Tunisia and was fairly confident we'd lose to Belgium in the third match.

• Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Football question. When was the last time England scored a goal in extra time?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196
    edited July 2018

Football question. When was the last time England scored a goal in extra time?

Portugal in Euro 2004?

EDIT: Lampard in 115th minute. I think Sol Campbell had a goal disallowed too.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,119
    Farage promises to return to frontline politics if Article 50 is extended.

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1014591285926166528
  • Options

Now there's an incentive to get on with it.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,679
    It would appear that some PBers consider drug addicts to be victims. I don't see it that way.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Cookie said:

stodge said:

For perspective, fivethirtyeight gives England a 62% chance of winning against Sweden and at 15% chance of winning the cup. How their track record has been so far I'm not sure.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,611

It would appear that some PBers consider drug addicts to be victims. I don't see it that way.

A unexpectedly hang 'em and flog 'em stance from you, Sandy.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,679
    MaxPB said:

A unexpectedly hang 'em and flog 'em stance from you, Sandy.
    Isn't it refreshing when we have unexpected views?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955

Whatever personal responsibility addicts should reasonably be expected to accept, and how much sympathy for going down that path others should reasonable have, an attitude of 'who cares?' and treating such a mass of deaths like we're just decreasing the surplus population, seems unduly blase. Even if we accept they all brought it on themselves, preventing the needless deaths of so many - who might, we can dare hope, have the opportunity to redeem themselves in your eyes if they live - is surely worth trying?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Well, Portugal have been successful in significantly reducing their death toll during a time when our death toll has doubled. It is not as nearly as simple as legalisation though. Instead the resources that are currently used to prosecute and lock up users and small suppliers have to be redirected towards treatment and withdrawal plans.

The Scottish government's plan of putting heroin addicts on methadone has done a great deal to increase the death toll, particularly amongst long term users who are the main source of the increased deaths. On the other hand I understand that their attempts to have medically regulated and "safe" shooting galleries in Glasgow is being thwarted by the London government. None of our politicians come out well on this for the reasons that @SandyRentool has somewhat uncharacteristically expressed.

The issue of drugs is one I've struggled with all my adult political life. I've gone through phases of supporting decriminalisation to advocating the strongest possible measures.

I suppose like all laws it either works via consent or deterrent (we don't go round killing each other because we won't get away with it). A law which people choose not to obey (using mobile phones in cars) and know they have only a low risk of being caught is a useless law.

I've seen the evidence of the damage drug use can do to individuals and communities. Crime of all sorts rises in response to the availability and use of drugs and the addictive process removes the inhibitions of civilisation. I have a close relative who is an alcoholic and I know where that addiction has taken him and what he has done and the lies he has told and the misery he has caused yet he is a victim too.

Yet addiction can and does come in many ways and will always be with us. Managing that dependency in some way to mitigate the personal life-damaging aspects and the communal and familial collateral suffering seems to me to be the logical way forward. Ultimately, I suppose it comes to the market, to supply and demand, as it does with so many other things.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291

twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1014591285926166528

Which parliamentary seat will he fail to win this time?
  • Options

He'll probably end up standing for the AfD in Bavaria.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291

Not Еди́ная Росси́я ?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

They are victims of an addiction. Of course they are not the only ones. They are surrounded with innocent victims whose lives and families they blight along with being a major source of crime.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902

To return, technically that means he wants to be an MEP again. Brexit rip.
  • Options

Not Еди́ная Росси́я ?
    He's just their useful idiot.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

That's tragic. But it also doesn't mean that a favoured alternative will work any better ...

There are many questions that you need to answer before you decriminalise:
    *) What drug(s) are you decriminalising?
    *) Is it just for possession, or supply?
    *) When can drugs not be taken (e.g. in front of children, or whilst driving)
    *) Penalties for such misuse
    *) Penalties for people providing still-proscribed drugs
    *) Help for addicts.
    +more

I would also argue that deaths, whilst tragic, are only one measure of the harm drugs cause.

The experience with legal highs in this country does not fill me with confidence that a simple legalisation process will do f'all good. It has to be part of a very much larger raft of legislation to cope with the the many issues that currently exist, or would arise.

For instance, I would like to see drug drivers, or those taking drugs in front of children, dealt with somewhat harshly. It comes down to a basic: "do what you want to your body, but don't harm others or wider society."
  • Options
    stodge said:

DavidL said:

The issue of drugs is one I've struggled with all my adult political life. I've gone through phases of supporting decriminalisation to advocating the strongest possible measures.

I suppose like all laws it either works via consent or deterrent (we don't go round killing each other because we won't get away with it). A law which people choose not to obey (using mobile phones in cars) and know they have only a low risk of being caught is a useless law.

I've seen the evidence of the damage drug use can do to individuals and communities. Crime of all sorts rises in response to the availability and use of drugs and the addictive process removes the inhibitions of civilisation. I have a close relative who is an alcoholic and I know where that addiction has taken him and what he has done and the lies he has told and the misery he has caused yet he is a victim too.

Yet addiction can and does come in many ways and will always be with us. Managing that dependency in some way to mitigate the personal life-damaging aspects and the communal and familial collateral suffering seems to me to be the logical way forward. Ultimately, I suppose it comes to the market, to supply and demand, as it does with so many other things.

I think, as with most things, we need to be pragmatic and see what works. What we are doing does not work. Being more punitive, as in Russia, doesn't work. A restricted form of legalisation must be worth trying.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,355

Not Еди́ная Росси́я ?
    He's just their useful idiot.
    That is one thing we agree on William
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,887
    edited July 2018
    Jonathan said:

Not necessarily.

There's been talk about him becoming an MP for the DUP and a DUP MP already being ready to stand down to allow him to contest the seat in a by election...

Now... About that "confidence and supply" deal that's keeping Theresa holed up on Downing St while she sells Brexit down the river...
  • Options

Surely for Juncker's party in Luxembourg?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Jonathan said:

Not necessarily.

There's been talk about him becoming an MP for the DUP and a DUP MP already being ready to stand down to allow him to contest the seat in a by election...
    Can't see Arlene Foster being terribly happy with that idea.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,929
    Charles said:

People can have multiple identities.

Whilst obviously true in some cases (we are parents to our children and children to our parents) I don't think that's true when it comes to nationality. I do however note that others on this site agree with you to some degree, with you and @Alanbrooke adopting different definitions of "we" dependent on whim. I think it's a wealthy person thing.

• Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

*) Help for addicts.
    +more

I would also argue that deaths, whilst tragic, are only one measure of the harm drugs cause.

The experience with legal highs in this country does not fill me with confidence that a simple legalisation process will do f'all good. It has to be part of a very much larger raft of legislation to cope with the the many issues that currently exist, or would arise.

For instance, I would like to see drug drivers, or those taking drugs in front of children, dealt with somewhat harshly. It comes down to a basic: "do what you want to your body, but don't harm others or wider society."
    Last year ten thousand people in Scotland died from smoking related diseases. 1235 died from conditions caused by alcohol.

Of course, more people smoke than take heroin - one in five of all people in Scotland. But I would suggest that's the obvious place to start in terms of reducing drug-related deaths.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

*) Help for addicts.
    +more

I certainly agree that legalisation is not a simple answer and would need to be a part of the package. I don't think anyone would be suggesting that being unfit to drive through drugs would not remain a crime, as would child neglect. We need to decide if we are willing to offer drugs on a prescription basis so that (a) we eliminate the market for illegal suppliers; (b) ensure that they are not contaminated, (c) remove the need to commit criminal offences to generate the money to pay for them and (d) where possible, taken in safe conditions.

None of this was done with legal highs but I agree that was an unhappy experience that we should reflect on.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,355
    ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

Jonathan said:

Not necessarily.

Can't see Arlene Foster being terribly happy with that idea.
    Not going to happen
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,914
    ydoethur said:

Surely for Juncker's party in Luxembourg?
    Probably for the Polish Peasants' Anti-Semitic League.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,985
    stodge said:

Should England, on what we've seen, be 10/11 and should Sweden, on what we've seen, be 7/2?

I think 4-7, 7-1 would be more like fair prices inside 90 minutes personally.
  • Options
    Norm said:

It also provides the advantage of a nice earner to compensate for England losing. This is what I generally do. If England win you can rejoice in the win despite being a little poorer.

A bit of a nonsense way to bet I'm afraid, if you want to win money that is.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

*) Help for addicts.
    +more

Last year ten thousand people in Scotland died from smoking related diseases. 1235 died from conditions caused by alcohol.

Of course, more people smoke than take heroin - one in five of all people in Scotland. But I would suggest that's the obvious place to start in terms of reducing drug-related deaths.
    We have done a lot about smoking and it is, slowly, working: http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Health/TrendSmoking

it is the obvious model for legalised drugs, heavily regulated, full of warnings, lots of encouragement to stop but not illegal.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Pulpstar said:

Norm said:

Well obviously, but what he's talking about is a bet serving as an emotional hedge.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Norm said:

Well obviously, but what he's talking about is a bet serving as an emotional hedge.
    No worries, I've backed England at 20-21 because I think we're much better than Sweden. Also Croatia at 5-4.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Pulpstar said:

stodge said:

Should England, on what we've seen, be 10/11 and should Sweden, on what we've seen, be 7/2?

I take it you've never been a bookmaker.

If it were me, I'd have Sweden at 11/10, the draw at 2/1 and England at 5/2 in the 90 minutes market but I'd be knocked over in the rush to back England and be forced to adjust the book accordingly.

I'm NOT suggesting the bookies are being greedy in offering the prices they are about England - they are trying to make a book and the weight of likely money suggests to make a reasonable book you need to have England at shorter odds than the form would suggest and their opponents (and the draw) at longer prices.

The odds on going through to the next round are England 2/5 and Sweden 15/8.

I merely argue that backing against England in major football tournaments over the past 30 years has been profitable if you are prepared to leave patriotism and sentiment at the door - the value is always against England and it is so again for Saturday's game.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I certainly agree that legalisation is not a simple answer and would need to be a part of the package. I don't think anyone would be suggesting that being unfit to drive through drugs would not remain a crime, as would child neglect. We need to decide if we are willing to offer drugs on a prescription basis so that (a) we eliminate the market for illegal suppliers; (b) ensure that they are not contaminated, (c) remove the need to commit criminal offences to generate the money to pay for them and (d) where possible, taken in safe conditions.

None of this was done with legal highs but I agree that was an unhappy experience that we should reflect on.

"I don't think anyone would be suggesting that being unfit to drive through drugs would not remain a crime"

I have heard people say exactly that, mostly in relation to the way you can drive after 'one drink', and drugs affect them less than drink. It's not exactly a view I agree with, and one person in particular who said it was a drug-addled tw@t back then, and remains a drug-addled tw@t. :)

I'm also unconvinced that your a), b) and c) would necessarily follow.

Like Mr Stodge below, I have wavered considerably on this subject over the years; currently I could be persuaded by the legalisation case, but I fear that people with evil intent will continue to make money and misery.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

*) Help for addicts.
    +more

High Time drugs policy was changed. Legalise then with safeguards, controls etc. All of them, not just some of them.
  • Options

DavidL said:

"I don't think anyone would be suggesting that being unfit to drive through drugs would not remain a crime"

I have heard people say exactly that, mostly in relation to the way you can drive after 'one drink', and drugs affect them less than drink. It's not exactly a view I agree with, and one person in particular who said it was a drug-addled tw@t back then, and remains a drug-addled tw@t. :)

I'm also unconvinced that your a), b) and c) would necessarily follow.

Like Mr Stodge below, I have wavered considerably on this subject over the years; currently I could be persuaded by the legalisation case, but I fear that people with evil intent will continue to make money and misery.
    I did not have these views myself 5 years ago. It’s not an easy problem to solve but particularly here in Scotland it is killing unacceptable numbers of people.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

We have done a lot about smoking and it is, slowly, working: http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Health/TrendSmoking

it is the obvious model for legalised drugs, heavily regulated, full of warnings, lots of encouragement to stop but not illegal.
    Around 6% of the population of Scotland admit to using illegal drugs. For obvious reasons that figure is almost certainly too low.

So at most three times as many people smoke as take drugs, yet it is responsible for at least ten times as many deaths.

I don't think that's an encouraging sign of a model that should be followed elsewhere.

Of course, you can prove anything with statistics, as 87.4% of people know. That doesn't take into account that the illegal drug deaths may be one shot, while smoking is something that accumulates over many years of heavy use.

But I still think it's easy to get carried away by looking at the shock factor without considering, actually, smoking is a bigger killer and drinking a major social problem.

Equally, it could support your argument insofar as nobody is suggesting banning cigarettes and alcohol (although wasn't there a campaign to ban Bucky not so long ago)?
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    stodge said:

Pulpstar said:

stodge said:

If it were me, I'd have Sweden at 11/10, the draw at 2/1 and England at 5/2 in the 90 minutes market but I'd be knocked over in the rush to back England and be forced to adjust the book accordingly.

I'm NOT suggesting the bookies are being greedy in offering the prices they are about England - they are trying to make a book and the weight of likely money suggests to make a reasonable book you need to have England at shorter odds than the form would suggest and their opponents (and the draw) at longer prices.

I don't know what the PP odds are excluding the draw but I imagine it would be England 4/7 Sweden 6/4 or something similar - that's to go through either in normal time, after extra time or even after a penalty shoot out.

I merely argue that backing against England in major football tournaments over the past 30 years has been profitable if you are prepared to leave patriotism and sentiment at the door - the value is always against England and it is so again for Saturday's game.
    How much have you got on Sweden, or laid on England? And if not, why not, if you believe your odds?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,762
    stodge said:

Pulpstar said:

stodge said:

You think Sweden are twice as likely as England to win in 90 minutes?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Interesting poll on who people blame for Brexit going badly. The main takeaway is that Conservative voters are much more likely to blame the EU and anti-Brexit politicians and voters of other parties are much more likely to blame the government.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/e2modsksu0/InternalResults_180628_Brexit(excluding DKs answers)_w.pdf
  • Options

stodge said:

Pulpstar said:

stodge said:

Why not? The Swedes are world famous for their ability to score anywhere, any time.

And they're not bad at football either...
  • Options
    stodge said:

Pulpstar said:

stodge said:

There is no way on God's green earth Sweden should be favourites for the match, not one of their players would make it into our side.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,762
    ydoethur said:

stodge said:

Pulpstar said:

stodge said:

Why not? The Swedes are world famous for their ability to score anywhere, any time.

And they're not bad at football either...
    :lol:
  • Options

<
    How much have you got on Sweden, or laid on England? And if not, why not, if you believe your odds?

I'm only just looking at the markets and found the Paddy Power prices as an example. I'll obviously look round the market and see if anyone is prepared to offer 4s on Sweden - if not, the plan is to back Sweden at 7/2 to win in 90 minutes and perhaps a little on the draw.

As to how much, it won't be a fiver but it won't be a monkey either but somewhere between the two.

• Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Jonathan said:

He remains President and lead spokesperson of the EFDD parliamentary group - similar to the role Verhofstadt holds for the ELDR Liberal group. So in theory he remains in front line European Parliament politics even now. This group continues to include the 5 star movement in Italy - now in government - and the Sweden Democrats.

Of course if we don't leave next March and it drifts beyond May do we keep our existing MEPs or elect new ones who may serve just a few weeks. It also messes up the group formations in Brussels as well as they depend on having support from members in at least seven member states.

Perhaps EFDD just loses 5 star and UKIP merges with the ENF which includes La Lega as well as other nationalist parties including Wilders and Le Pen.
  • Options
    stodge said:

<

I'm only just looking at the markets and found the Paddy Power prices as an example. I'll obviously look round the market and see if anyone is prepared to offer 4s on Sweden - if not, the plan is to back Sweden at 7/2 to win in 90 minutes and perhaps a little on the draw.

As to how much, it won't be a fiver but it won't be a monkey either but somewhere between the two.

I bet Pulpstar will give you odds for Sweden 90 mins.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Around 6% of the population of Scotland admit to using illegal drugs. For obvious reasons that figure is almost certainly too low.

So at most three times as many people smoke as take drugs, yet it is responsible for at least ten times as many deaths.

I don't think that's an encouraging sign of a model that should be followed elsewhere.

Of course, you can prove anything with statistics, as 87.4% of people know. That doesn't take into account that the illegal drug deaths may be one shot, while smoking is something that accumulates over many years of heavy use.

But I still think it's easy to get carried away by looking at the shock factor without considering, actually, smoking is a bigger killer and drinking a major social problem.

Equally, it could support your argument insofar as nobody is suggesting banning cigarettes and alcohol (although wasn't there a campaign to ban Bucky not so long ago)?
    I thought it was only 64.2% but I take your point. One of main reasons Portugal is so interesting is that their limited legalisation has reduced drug consumption rather than normalising it. We need to learn how they did that and do the same.
  • Options

stodge said:

<

Lol Nah we're both happy enough with the bookies.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    https://twitter.com/cnn/status/1014468936765566976?s=21

Republicans are complaining about this on twitter. With Trump in power, don’t think this decline is that much of a surprise.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I did not have these views myself 5 years ago. It’s not an easy problem to solve but particularly here in Scotland it is killing unacceptable numbers of people.

And mucking up a change in the law might lead to killing more people, with even more long-term consequences. Or not. But it's one heck of an experiment.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

There is no way on God's green earth Sweden should be favourites for the match, not one of their players would make it into our side.

The point is the disparity in odds isn't reflective of the actual difference between the teams. I would also contend the whole has to be greater than the sum of the parts - you could have said in 2016 none of the Icelanders would have got into the England side on their own but that isn't and wasn't the point.

Iceland played as a team, England didn't.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

stodge said:

<

Lol Nah we're both happy enough with the bookies.
    Oh that's a shame, I was looking forward to Stodge V Pulpstar!

You think Sweden should be 7/1, he thinks 11/10; that's a proper disagreement.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Pulpstar said:

The point is the disparity in odds isn't reflective of the actual difference between the teams. I would also contend the whole has to be greater than the sum of the parts - you could have said in 2016 none of the Icelanders would have got into the England side on their own but that isn't and wasn't the point.

Iceland played as a team, England didn't.

England are playing as a team too - and we're definitely not the best team, far from it - Belgium, France, Brazil are all definitely better than us with Uruguay closish..
    Thing is they're all in the top half of the draw.
    If we're favourites against Croatia then there may well be value laying us in the semi (God only knows how to assess ourselves vs Russia if they get there) - but Sweden just ain't great.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Yet drug related deaths (outside smoking and alcohol) are incredibly low in Portugal.

It's a mystery.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Yet drug related deaths (outside smoking and alcohol) are incredibly low in Portugal.

It's a mystery.
    Okaaaay...

So apart from all the drug related deaths, not many people die of drug related problems in Portugal.

You know, Dr Crippen was a good husband apart from the fact he murdered his wife.

(Yes, I know you didn't mean it that way! But still, really...)
  • Options

In the main drug addicts come from broken homes where parents were themselves substance abusers and frequently domestic abusers.

If that is not a victim I honestly don't know what is.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I thought it was only 64.2% but I take your point. One of main reasons Portugal is so interesting is that their limited legalisation has reduced drug consumption rather than normalising it. We need to learn how they did that and do the same.

"... is that their limited legalisation has reduced drug consumption rather than normalising it. "

Is that right? The following seems interesting:

"Reported lifetime use of "all illicit drugs" increased from 7.8% to 12%, lifetime use of cannabis increased from 7.6% to 11.7%, cocaine use more than doubled, from 0.9% to 1.9%, ecstasy nearly doubled from 0.7% to 1.3%, and heroin increased from 0.7% to 1.1%[19] It has been proposed[by whom?] that this effect may have been related to the candor of interviewees, who may have been inclined to answer more truthfully due to a reduction in the stigma associated with drug use.[20] However, during the same period, the use of heroin and cannabis also increased in Spain and Italy, where drugs for personal use was decriminalised many years earlier than in Portugal [20][21] while the use of Cannabis and heroin decreased in the rest of Western Europe.[22][23] The increase in drug use observed among adults in Portugal was not greater than that seen in nearby countries that did not change their drug laws.[24]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_Portugal
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

It's a mystery.
    Okaaaay...

So apart from all the drug related deaths, not many people die of drug related problems in Portugal.

You know, Dr Crippen was a good husband apart from the fact he murdered his wife.

Well, Portugal's alcohol related death rate is lower than the UK's so it rather suggest their model is a fuck sight better than ours.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

It's a mystery.
    Citation required.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

It's a mystery.
    Okaaaay...

Well, Portugal's alcohol related death rate is lower than the UK's so it rather suggest their model is a fuck sight better than ours.
    Or it might just be, given their average wage is less than half of ours, they can't afford as much alcohol as we can.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,242

Some PBers (including me) consider some drug addicts to be victims.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

DavidL said:

"... is that their limited legalisation has reduced drug consumption rather than normalising it. "

"Reported lifetime use of "all illicit drugs" increased from 7.8% to 12%, lifetime use of cannabis increased from 7.6% to 11.7%, cocaine use more than doubled, from 0.9% to 1.9%, ecstasy nearly doubled from 0.7% to 1.3%, and heroin increased from 0.7% to 1.1%[19] It has been proposed[by whom?] that this effect may have been related to the candor of interviewees, who may have been inclined to answer more truthfully due to a reduction in the stigma associated with drug use.[20] However, during the same period, the use of heroin and cannabis also increased in Spain and Italy, where drugs for personal use was decriminalised many years earlier than in Portugal [20][21] while the use of Cannabis and heroin decreased in the rest of Western Europe.[22][23] The increase in drug use observed among adults in Portugal was not greater than that seen in nearby countries that did not change their drug laws.[24]"

That doesn't seem to match the EMCDAA

http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/countries/drug-reports/2018/portugal_en
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

It's a mystery.
    Citation required.
    Citation required for drug deaths being low?

The EMCDAA will sort you out there. Link in previous post.

Edit: here it is again as I fucked it up last time http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/countries/drug-reports/2018/portugal_en
  • Options
    Alistair said:

DavidL said:

Different time period? Different ways of measuring? Natural variations over time? Wikipedia being an arse? ;)

I don't have time atm, but it would be interesting to compare the EMCDAA reports over the years to see trends, and compare with other countries. Someone's probably already done it...
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    I'm not sure legal highs are something to look at when it comes to our future legislation of recreational drugs as they weren't illegal to begin with, they moved from being legal to being decriminalised which is kind of different to what may happen (or has elsewhere) with recreational drugs.

Legals highs are also probably one of the worse drugs*, quite a few of the softer recreational drugs are bad for you (like alcohol) but in a legal system with standards on the product (like alcohol) can actually be used by the majority of people with little negative effect (like alcohol). I don't think you can actually get away with using legal highs for a decent length of time without it taking a toll.

Legals highs belong more to the category of very hard drugs, I wouldn't be surprised if you had a system with clean heroin supplied that a person may do better** on that than on legal highs, if anything I generally think of legal highs as an argument for legalising cannabis at least as some people seem to think it is a replacement for it, which is like shooting up because the local off licence is shut...

*Of the mainstream ones I've heard of anyway.

**Just to clarify still very bad, just not as bad.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    stodge said:

With respect, the market has changed enormously in the last 30 years. The prices you see now are international, largely driven by the Asian market. And the British bookmakers are all betting to such tight margins that there isn't much room for them to crimp the odds on England.

In the "good old days" of shop coupons, priced to c. 112%, you'd have seen England 8/11 Sweden 10/3 Draw 9/4. Not any more.

Personally I think we were excellent yesterday, with the exception* of the period between the Dier & Rashford subs (80' - 110' or thereabouts). Sweden looked poor against pretty poor opposition. On balance I'd back England on Saturday, though not to any great stakes.

* Other than that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Republicans are complaining about this on twitter. With Trump in power, don’t think this decline is that much of a surprise.

How many were just proud to be an American in this poll? After all the song doesn't include the word extremely.

Do we do similar surveys in the UK - are you proud or extremely proud to be British?

https://youtu.be/Ps7xmW-9LXQ
  • Options

Alistair said:

DavidL said:

Different time period? Different ways of measuring? Natural variations over time? Wikipedia being an arse? ;)

I don't have time atm, but it would be interesting to compare the EMCDAA reports over the years to see trends, and compare with other countries. Someone's probably already done it...
    They provide a plot of the last 10 years in each yearly report.

Portugal has all the key metrics looking like a downhill ski slope.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    brendan16 said:

How many were just proud to be an American in this poll? After all the song doesn't include the word extremely.

Do we do similar surveys in the UK - are you proud or extremely proud to be British?

https://news.gallup.com/poll/236420/record-low-extremely-proud-americans.aspx?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=record-low-extremely-proud-americans&utm_content=o_social

They do give a range of options, 25% say they are ‘very proud’, and 16% are ‘Moderately proud’ so with that plus the 47% that’s quite a lot of people. I think it’s the ‘extremely proud’ being at record low, that’s what caused some on the right to see the poll as depressing.

I don’t know if there are comparable surveys in the UK.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

DavidL said:

They provide a plot of the last 10 years in each yearly report.

Portugal has all the key metrics looking like a downhill ski slope.
    Thanks - I'll have a look at that later.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

brendan16 said:

https://news.gallup.com/poll/236420/record-low-extremely-proud-americans.aspx?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=record-low-extremely-proud-americans&utm_content=o_social

They do give a range of options, 25% say they are ‘very proud’, and 16% are ‘Moderately proud’ so with that plus the 47% that’s quite a lot of people. I think it’s the ‘extremely proud’ being at record low, that’s what caused some on the right to see the poll as depressing.

I don’t know if there are comparable surveys in the UK.
    See, the British attitudes survey collects similar data. Back in 2014 35 per cent of Brits were very proud to be British.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/shortcuts/2014/apr/14/proud-to-be-british-somewhat

This survey for the BBC last month found older people and those living furthest from London were most likely to be proud to be English.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44142843

• Options
    It was novichok:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44719639

This is a little bit scary.
This discussion has been closed.