Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The betting markets are slightly less certain that the UK will

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

This weird withdrawal feeling is starting...not sure I can manage until Friday...

I've got a feeling we're going to lose to Sweden on Saturday. It's been too good to be true so far.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

So I don't think the government can now ask for an extension to Article 50, without primary legislation to amend the Act. However, IANAL, nor a constitutional expert, so perhaps I'm wrong on this - does anyone know?

This seems to be what JRM was talking about on DP

Parliament can vote to change the existing law, but only if the Government propose the legislation, which they can't do if they get toppled...
    Yes. This means that the hard Brexiteers now have the upper hand in the Commons because the status quo is that we leave on March 29th 2019 with no deal. Any alternative has to be agreed and makes its legislative way through the Commons (and the European Parliament, etc)
    Something that has been blindingly obvious since the article 50 to vote to all but Remainer MPs...
    Yep. Brexiters will have the opportunity to plunge the country into chaos.

Huzzah for them!
    So then it comes down to Corbyn. Does he vote with the government, the Tory government, for whatever deal she brings home from Brussels, or does he follow Tony Blair's example by siding with the Tory Eurosceptics? Hell of a choice for him.
    I think it's a no brainer for him to vote against the deal. There will be enough time before the vote and the cliff edge that he will be able to imagine he can profit politically from the ensuing crisis.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

Some people really have been sent insane by brexit.

ttps://twitter.com/jolyonmaugham/status/1014380189667790848?s=21

And there’s almost certainly going to be a judicial review requested. The EC didn’t even interview the person they just found guilty.
    Seriously?

In any case, let's have a quick reminder of which campaign spent more.

https://i.redd.it/fqabt51ti1o01.jpg
    Excluding the £9million government leaflet.....so Remain total spending was more than double Leave's......and still they lost....to a bus....as they never tire of reminding us.....
    titters
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    AndyJS said:

This weird withdrawal feeling is starting...not sure I can manage until Friday...

I've got a feeling we're going to lose to Sweden on Saturday. It's been too good to be true so far.
    Yes, same here. Even if we lose, I think the team and management can come back proud of what they have achieved. A win would be amazing though, first semi-final for 28 years!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,966
    Hmm - I don't think it is in a Lord Mayor's gift to ban a head of state from a city.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    MaxPB said:

Yes, same here. Even if we lose, I think the team and management can come back proud of what they have achieved. A win would be amazing though, first semi-final for 28 years!

The principle advantage of Engerland winning is you might finally STFU about '66...
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

So I don't think the government can now ask for an extension to Article 50, without primary legislation to amend the Act. However, IANAL, nor a constitutional expert, so perhaps I'm wrong on this - does anyone know?

Parliament can vote to change the existing law, but only if the Government propose the legislation, which they can't do if they get toppled...
    Yes. This means that the hard Brexiteers now have the upper hand in the Commons because the status quo is that we leave on March 29th 2019 with no deal. Any alternative has to be agreed and makes its legislative way through the Commons (and the European Parliament, etc)
    Something that has been blindingly obvious since the article 50 to vote to all but Remainer MPs...

Huzzah for them!
    So then it comes down to Corbyn. Does he vote with the government, the Tory government, for whatever deal she brings home from Brussels, or does he follow Tony Blair's example by siding with the Tory Eurosceptics? Hell of a choice for him.
    I think it's a no brainer for him to vote against the deal. There will be enough time before the vote and the cliff edge that he will be able to imagine he can profit politically from the ensuing crisis.
    Corbyn is a hard Brexit supporter. He will do whatever it takes to ensure the country leaves the EU. His gutting of the EEA amendment is just the latest example.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

MaxPB said:

The principle advantage of Engerland winning is you might finally STFU about '66...
    Doesn't it just means we can bang on about '18 for another 52 years?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

MaxPB said:

Wouldn't it just mean we can bang on about '18 for another 52 years?
    Yes.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Nah, you will get bogged down in endless debates about which was the better team, who had an easier path. Ultras on both sides will dig in. Much easier to tune out the incestuous infighting :smile:
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

Huzzah for them!
    Corbyn is a hard Brexit supporter. He will do whatever it takes to ensure the country leaves the EU. His gutting of the EEA amendment is just the latest example.
    He'll do whatever it takes to ensure the government faces political chaos. Even with his anti-EU hat on, what's in for him to back either of the potential deals on offer?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

MaxPB said:

Two World Wars and TWO World Cups!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

Huzzah for them!
    Voting against the government gives him a shot at a GE. That is what he will do.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I seem to be the only one on here thinking that England look value at just under evens to beat Sweden in normal time. But I do.

The challenges for England are later, I'd have thought.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

MaxPB said:

I wonder how long it will be before the EU try to claim they've won it 10 times, much as they tried to do with the Olympics? :p
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Off topic almost straight away and my apologies for all the non-football fans out there, but last night I noticed a few people talking about Qatar in November 2022.

I know there had been ideas to move the next World Cup tournament to the winter, but didn't know it was official. However, after checking I see this decision was made three years ago now!

So some questions for the PB (football) brains trusts:

1. Is Qatar going to be ready for 2022?
    2. Is it really likely to be held in November 2022 as presently planned?
    3. What is going to happen to domestic football, not just in the UK but across the world? Even a shortened World Cup would take half the Premiership players out for six weeks?
    4. Is it likely to be cancelled, and if so, who (England) might get the nod (and when would we know)?

Would be above six weeks for a start. 2 months minimum with training camps etc. 48 teams means lower leagues (certainly Championship) would lose plenty of players.
    So October and November. Guess we would have to start in July and finish mid-June.
    The dates have been set by FIFA already (though are presumably subject to change). From memory, it's something like mid-Nov to a week before Christmas.

But it'll have to be in the northern hemisphere's winter so the climate's manageable. Of course, that means that if it is cancelled late on, all the calendar's will have already been rearranged, so if the games are in England or Germany (for sake of argument), they could be played in snow at -5C.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,038
    Pulpstar said:

Hmm - I don't think it is in a Lord Mayor's gift to ban a head of state from a city.

I thought that at one time it wasn’t uncommon for such people to shut the gates of the City against undesirables
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I thought that at one time it wasn’t uncommon for such people to shut the gates of the City against undesirables
    I'll have to ask my Dad when I next see him if he's going to ban Trump xD
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The most important part of last night was not the penalties, but the second half of extra time. We did SFA in the second half of normal time (how many times did we get out of our own half?) and the first half of ET.

But in the second half of ET we got our second wind, overcame whatever psychological and physical damage had been done and went at them. Vardy in particular. This showed that we have it in us to be a threat throughout the game and I'm sure (I hope) Southgate will point to this to show the team that they shouldn't be disheartened whatever the Sweden match throws at them.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

Huzzah for them!
    Voting against the government gives him a shot at a GE. That is what he will do.
    And I don't think it will work. There's a strong risk that he'll overreach by sitting on the fence too long and May will outmanoeuvre him by calling a second referendum that will make him look like an irrelevance.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,714
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

MaxPB said:

But the 2018 win (if it happens - which it won't) won't be against the Germans.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

Huzzah for them!
    And I don't think it will work. There's a strong risk that he'll overreach by sitting on the fence too long and May will outmanoeuvre him by calling a second referendum that will make him look like an irrelevance.
    May will not, under any circumstances, call a second referendum, for about a million reasons.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,768
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

MaxPB said:

I wonder how long it will be before the EU try to claim they've won it 10 times, much as they tried to do with the Olympics? :p
    Almost as perverse as claiming England won the World Wars...
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

MaxPB said:

1. Difficult to tell, but reports on the ground say that they are well behind their building schedule and their current spat with their neighbours is hurting their ability to finance and build projects.
    2. If it goes ahead, then yes. There is no way the players could survive playing in 40-45 degree heat in the desert.
    3. The main European leagues are consulting on what to do, the main idea is to start the season a bit earlier and have a 5 week break for the tournament, 1 week post tournament and then finish the season a few weeks late.
    4. If it gets cancelled then England is seen as one of the few countries that could host it without needing any investment in infrastructure. I think Germany is another nation, but they hosted it too recently. What might happen is England gets it and then the FA supports some Asian bid for 2030, maybe China.

Thanks for that. Looks like we'll have to wait and see.
    Max, what is your source for your first point?

Certainly not how it feels when you visit Qatar. The place is plastered with things about football, the hotel building is well along. And I find it really hard to believe that Qatar is finding it difficult to fund something so central to the image they wish to project internationally.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

MaxPB said:

More perverse. At least we were actually competing!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

MaxPB said:

Nah, you will get bogged down in endless debates about which was the better team, who had an easier path. Ultras on both sides will dig in. Much easier to tune out the incestuous infighting :smile:
    It took the current England team 13 matches through two qualification groups just to reach the last sixteen; it took Ramsey's team precisely none (as hosts, they didn't have to qualify and only 16 teams took part). They then played six matches at Wembley. If the 2018 team win, you can argue as to which is the better side but there can surely be no doubt as to which is the greater achievement.
  • Options

It took the current England team 13 matches through two qualification groups just to reach the last sixteen; it took Ramsey's team precisely none (as hosts, they didn't have to qualify and only 16 teams took part). They then played six matches at Wembley. If the 2018 team win, you can argue as to which is the better side but there can surely be no doubt as to which is the greater achievement.

And begin...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    DIscussed it and decided against it.
  • Options
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

fpt for Max:

On Javid. He is absolutely a Leaver and altered his views in conjunction with Dave to join the Remain side.

On sartorial protocol, Jermyn Street for shirts, Savile Row for suits.

Hmm, that's probably true, but he is officially a remainer, a reluctant one anyway. It would make him a reasonably pragmatic PM though, which is partly why I would vote for him.

Yes, that's how it is, but I find that Savile Row is for tourists. Jermyn Street offers better value and a superior tailoring experience, IMO.
    You'd do better to find your own tailor rather than go to one of the shops.

I work with Byrne & Burge (Joshua Byrne was the legendary Arthur Catchpole's last apprentice)
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

MaxPB said:

On that basis do we have to hope that the French make it through to the final?
  • Options
    Just went into Waitrose and picked up 3 bottles of Nyetimber for £26 each. Great value!
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Clicked on Federer's match to see how he's getting on and he's already won it.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

I seem to be the only one on here thinking that England look value at just under evens to beat Sweden in normal time. But I do.

You're not. Though Croatia look even better at around 5/4 to beat Russia. Provided they don't so much as breathe on any Russians in their penalty area...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    RobD said:
    He'd better brace himself....I've got news about Queen Anne.....
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Just went into Waitrose and picked up 3 bottles of Nyetimber for £26 each. Great value!

Which Waitrose? Or maybe this offer is available at all their stores.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Scott_P said:

MaxPB said:

2018 obviously. They are having to do it all with no West Ham players.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    We could beat Sweden (they're a bit like a Tony Pulis team with skill) and then meet Croatia in the semis (Russia have over-achieved even for a home nation). That leaves France or Brazil in the Finals. They're better than us but can be flaky on a bad day.

It's a pity it's not like Eurovision where the winners host the next event. Then football really would come home.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,939

Dura_Ace said:

Nieve has moved to perpetual shower of shit Mitchelton-Scott (a lead out train with no sprinter).

Bit harsh - they almost won the Giro.
    and they do have a sprinter (Caleb Ewen) but I don't think he is in the Tour team.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Apparently Laura Kuenssberg knew England was going to win the night before on penalties - so deliberately arranged the interview for this morning to ensure minimum coverage.

Perhaps she can tell us the results for the rest of the tournament!
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

MaxPB said:

I rewatched the 1966 final the other day. Both teams were absolutely cream-crackered by extra time, out on their feet. It brings home how much fitter and stronger are today's players.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Scott_P said:

MaxPB said:

The downside of winning the World Cup will be Tottenham fans inheriting that long-running joke.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

v good. Down from what? Seems that Nyetimber can't live in a world where they charge £30-40 when you can pick up a bottle of Bolly if you look carefully for £30.

Still by far the best and best value champagne out there btw, and good for parties (and weddings!!!) is Laytons Champagne.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    AndyJS said:

MaxPB said:

Which Waitrose? Or maybe this offer is available at all their stores.
    Bargains abound...
    http://www.waitrosecellar.com/fizz-offers
  • Options

You're not. Though Croatia look even better at around 5/4 to beat Russia. Provided they don't so much as breathe on any Russians in their penalty area...
    Boylesports are 20-21 England and 5-4 Croatia. The best part is I've used £46 in there I didn't even realise I had.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

We could beat Sweden (they're a bit like a Tony Pulis team with skill) and then meet Croatia in the semis (Russia have over-achieved even for a home nation). That leaves France or Brazil in the Finals. They're better than us but can be flaky on a bad day.

It's a pity it's not like Eurovision where the winners host the next event. Then football really would come home.

Our chances of winning Eurovision are seemingly infintesimal every year judging by the odds ! Far easier to win the world cup.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

CD13 said:

Our chances of winning Eurovision are seemingly infintesimal every year judging by the odds ! Far easier to win the world cup.
    Yeah, it's so long ago that the UK won Eurovision that even Scotland has qualified for a major football finals tournament more recently.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Talking of Scotland and world cups. I remember to this day that great result against Peru.

Coming out of the back door, I caught sight of my neighbour. When our eyes met, we both collapsed laughing.

A comment on that great day … and why we won't look too far ahead.

"Sure enough, after a slow start, Peru proved themselves the bosses of Scotland, Teófilo Cubillas conducting the orchestra, Rioch dancing to his tune. Even the Observer’s television critic could see this wasn’t a very clever state of affairs, though admittedly this was the brilliant Clive James we’re talking about.

James noted archly that the Peruvians had “revealed an ability to run faster with the ball than the Scots could run without it”.

Scotland’s undressing inspired other utterances of tinder-dry brilliance. “I would like to congratulate Scotland and Mr MacLeod on the team they presented to us,” deadpanned the Peru manager, Marcos Calderón, after his side’s 3-1 win.

“Our main fault lay in not marking Cubillas,” sighed MacLeod, which led our man Lacey to remark that the Scotland manager’s observation was made “much as a man might reflect, on falling out of an aircraft, that on second thoughts he should have worn a parachute”.

• Options
    On political matters I think the Democrats should be odds on for the house in November.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Some people really have been sent insane by brexit.

ttps://twitter.com/jolyonmaugham/status/1014380189667790848?s=21

And there’s almost certainly going to be a judicial review requested. The EC didn’t even interview the person they just found guilty.
    I'd be more than a bit wary of leaping to any assumptions just yet as to how the case was handled or indeed what the allegations are. So far all we have is an extensive prebuttal from someone who has apparently been found guilty. We haven't heard the Electoral Commission's version at all.
    That's true - although the prebuttal being "you never bothered to interview any of the accused" is presumably quite easy to prove one way or the other
  • Options

Scott_P said:

MaxPB said:

The downside of winning the World Cup will be Tottenham fans inheriting that long-running joke.
    On that note, there was a letter to the Times iirc complaining that New Labour belatedly making Geoff Hurst a Sir in 1998 devalued the honours system as now every Englishman who scores a hat-trick in the World Cup final will expect a knighthood.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

v good. Down from what? Seems that Nyetimber can't live in a world where they charge £30-40 when you can pick up a bottle of Bolly if you look carefully for £30.

Still by far the best and best value champagne out there btw, and good for parties (and weddings!!!) is Laytons Champagne.
    The best value fizz in the world, right now, is this sparkling Argie Malbec rose extra brut: Tapiz.

I kid you not. I had a bottle from Oddbins (for £15) last night, at a picnic. Superb. Absolutely superb. Knocks any champagne under £40 - pink or blonde - right out of the park.

Unsurprisingly, Oddbins now seem to have sold out. But you can get it here:

http://www.ministryofdrinks.co.uk/?product=tapiz-malbec-rose-extra-brut-nv
    Thanks for the recommendation.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

The best value fizz in the world, right now, is this sparkling Argie Malbec rose extra brut: Tapiz.

I kid you not. I had a bottle from Oddbins (for £15) last night, at a picnic. Superb. Absolutely superb. Knocks any champagne under £40 - pink or blonde - right out of the park.

Sounds intriguing. And for £15 what is there to lose.
  • Options
    Reports of another possible nerve agent attack in the UK. Watch for breaking news...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

On political matters I think the Democrats should be odds on for the house in November.

Pulp, I've stopped having any certainty about US politics. It's an effing madhouse.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    Just watching this showtime documentary following the NYT...and it is no surprise they don’t get the attraction of trump in the rust belt...log in to Pb.com and see a discussion on decent quality plonk and peasant wagons :-)
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    CD13 said:

Talking of Scotland and world cups. I remember to this day that great result against Peru.

Coming out of the back door, I caught sight of my neighbour. When our eyes met, we both collapsed laughing.

A comment on that great day … and why we won't look too far ahead.

"Sure enough, after a slow start, Peru proved themselves the bosses of Scotland, Teófilo Cubillas conducting the orchestra, Rioch dancing to his tune. Even the Observer’s television critic could see this wasn’t a very clever state of affairs, though admittedly this was the brilliant Clive James we’re talking about.

James noted archly that the Peruvians had “revealed an ability to run faster with the ball than the Scots could run without it”.

Scotland’s undressing inspired other utterances of tinder-dry brilliance. “I would like to congratulate Scotland and Mr MacLeod on the team they presented to us,” deadpanned the Peru manager, Marcos Calderón, after his side’s 3-1 win.

“Our main fault lay in not marking Cubillas,” sighed MacLeod, which led our man Lacey to remark that the Scotland manager’s observation was made “much as a man might reflect, on falling out of an aircraft, that on second thoughts he should have worn a parachute”.

I remember that free kick when Ally Macleod [ or someone else ] commented thatthey didn't expect the ball coming from that side of the wall. The goal was not too dissimilar to the one Ronaldo scored against Spain.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Pulp, I've stopped having any certainty about US politics. It's an effing madhouse.

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1014536169437257728
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    MTimT said:

Reports of another possible nerve agent attack in the UK. Watch for breaking news...

Apparently, it was drug related. This might give Putin [ or his spokesperson Trump ] the perfect opportunity to have a go at us. Unless Russians were involved. The fact remains that this place is close Porton Down. I would say the chance of any funny business is less than 1% - bot not 0%.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Scott_P said:

MTimT said:

twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1014536169437257728
    How's that interesting? Didn't he stop being his attorney a while back?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Sounds intriguing. And for £15 what is there to lose.
    Quite. I was totally skeptical. But it is delicious. It's got a real kick tho: 13-14%. So be careful!
    Interesting - it says 13% on the website. I try to avoid higher abvs as I am a wuss.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Oh nice, I'll get a few of those. Hosting an engagement party/BBQ this weekend at my parent's place so will pop a few of those I'm sure.
  • Options
    RobD said:

He just changed it, after much speculation that he is doing a deal with prosecutors
  • Options
    surby said:

MTimT said:

Apparently, it was drug related. This might give Putin [ or his spokesperson Trump ] the perfect opportunity to have a go at us. Unless Russians were involved. The fact remains that this place is close Porton Down. I would say the chance of any funny business is less than 1% - bot not 0%.
    Thanks, just had one of the news channels on the phone asking for a comment. Told them I knew nothing and intended to spend today drinking and eating in the sun (4th July celebrations - even Brits do it in the US), not in a studio.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

He just changed it, after much speculation that he is doing a deal with prosecutors
    Apparently, his loyalties are to his family and the nation, in that order. No mention of Trump.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

MaxPB said:

Our victories in the Seven Years War and the War of Spanish Succession were fairly comprehensive
  • Options
    Betfair exchange:

Sweden 4.9
    England 1.97
    Draw 3.4

Russia 4.1
    Croatia 2.28
    Draw 3.1

Uruguay 4.8
    France 2.04
    Draw 3.25

Brazil 2.2
    Belgium 3.8
    Draw 3.5

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/football/competition/5614746
  • Options
    MTimT said:

surby said:

MTimT said:

Thanks, just had one of the news channels on the phone asking for a comment. Told them I knew nothing and intended to spend today drinking and eating in the sun (4th July celebrations - even Brits do it in the US), not in a studio.
    Surby response isn’t quite correct. Police initially responded and thought drugs related but then became unsure and since then counter terrorist, samples taken for testing at government labs, cobra meeting, etc.

Could still be drugs and an overreaction, but clearly something was a bit off for the police to react as they have done so.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    edit
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

I kid you not. I had a bottle from Oddbins (for £15) last night ...

Unsurprisingly, Oddbins now seem to have sold out.
    Are you sure it was only one bottle?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Oh nice, I'll get a few of those. Hosting an engagement party/BBQ this weekend at my parent's place so will pop a few of those I'm sure.
    Yes, we saw that on facebook. Judging by some of the people saying they're going it looks to be a hell of a party.

:wink:
  • Options
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

MaxPB said:

Our victories in the Seven Years War and the War of Spanish Succession were fairly comprehensive
    "Our victories"? You've taken off your SoCal hat then?
  • Options
    surby said:

MTimT said:

Wasn't the Novichok attack near Porton Down?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, we saw that on facebook. Judging by some of the people saying they're going it looks to be a hell of a party.

Lol, who else is having a party this weekend?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Update on the collapsed couple.

Apparently they went to a family fun day. Went home, one collapsed, ambulance called, later other felt unwell, ambulance called again.

Mr Rowley and Ms Sturgess are believed to have attended a family fun day at Amesbury Baptist Church on Saturday afternoon before they were found unconscious in the property they had just moved into.

So this was at the weekend.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    "Tom Newton Dunn
    ‏Verified account @tnewtondunn

Latest: Amesbury couple were poisoned. Porton Down analysing samples now to determine if by same batch of nerve agent used in Sergei Skripal assassination attempt"
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Lol, who else is having a party this weekend?
    I am actually going to a Colombian friend on Saturday afternoon. If he has forgiven us.

The commentator remarked, last night, how surprising it was to see whole families including small children in the crowd partying at the game. Not if you know Colombians, it wasn't.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"Tom Newton Dunn
    ‏Verified account @tnewtondunn

Latest: Amesbury couple were poisoned. Porton Down analysing samples now to determine if by same batch of nerve agent used in Sergei Skripal assassination attempt"

Surnames of the couple doesn’t scream Russian double agent.
  • Options

Apparently they went to a family fun day. Went home, one collapsed, ambulance called, later other felt unwell, ambulance called again.

Mr Rowley and Ms Sturgess are believed to have attended a family fun day at Amesbury Baptist Church on Saturday afternoon before they were found unconscious in the property they had just moved into.

Sounds like it could have been food poisoning, also. Wonder if there was any potted meat or fish involved.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    MTimT said:

Sounds like it could have been food poisoning, also. Wonder if there was any potted meat or fish involved.
    Daily mail has description of the friend that saw them, it wasn’t food poisoning. It sounds like drugs and apparently they were known drug users, but clearly the authorities think something is off.

Given they went to hospital on Saturday, I presume tests have come back with something that has caused alarm.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    AndyJS said:

Betfair exchange:

Sweden 4.9
    England 1.97
    Draw 3.4

Russia 4.1
    Croatia 2.28
    Draw 3.1

Uruguay 4.8
    France 2.04
    Draw 3.25

Brazil 2.2
    Belgium 3.8
    Draw 3.5

Random thought - looking at those numbers I wondered if nations with big football audiences are routinely overpriced, and that you could turn a profit by backing smaller countries systematically. Or is that something so obvious that punters already factor it in?
  • Options
    Random Wimbledon observations: 1

The Nike range for women this year is horrible. It looks unflattering and as Martina Navratilova said in commentary, impractical.

Quite an achievement.

Adidas seem to have partnered with different external design houses with far greater success.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    PBers who like my animal welfare work even if they take a dim view of some of my other thoughts may be pleased to know I've just been appointed Head of Compassion in World Farming UK (was previously just responsible for policy) - with 15 staff and hundreds of thousands of active supporters, it's the largest challenge I've ever had, and I really look forward to it.

It does help that both major parties are currently so open to change on the issue. We are hoping that Michael Gove stays in post, regardless of what else happens this week - he's done more to shake up thinking in the area than any previous incumbent.
  • Options
    Random Wimbledon observations: 2

Is it necessary for the commentators to be located courtside?

I know it's traditional, but given it's a TV sport could they not do it at least as well by watching screens?

Like cycling. Or golf. Or bizarrely athletics. The commentators sit in the stadium, but the field event commentary is often to playback
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    Off-topic:

What a glorious Fourth of July. My car was in for a service so I spent a few hours walking from Cambridge down to Grantchester and around in a loop. Lots of people dressed up in stars and stripes - and a couple as colonial soldiers - on the meadows and in the river, and plenty of other fun in the sun.

Oh, and a fair few pieces of 'Free Tommy' graffiti. And one, in the same hand, saying 'Flat earth bible'.
  • Options

MTimT said:

Daily mail has description of the friend that saw them, it wasn’t food poisoning. It sounds like drugs and apparently they were known drug users, but clearly the authorities think something is off.

Given they went to hospital on Saturday, I presume tests have come back with something that has caused alarm.
    Certain types of food poisoning involve nerve agents. Saxitoxin, botulism etc...
  • Options

PBers who like my animal welfare work even if they take a dim view of some of my other thoughts may be pleased to know I've just been appointed Head of Compassion in World Farming UK (was previously just responsible for policy) - with 15 staff and hundreds of thousands of active supporters, it's the largest challenge I've ever had, and I really look forward to it.

It does help that both major parties are currently so open to change on the issue. We are hoping that Michael Gove stays in post, regardless of what else happens this week - he's done more to shake up thinking in the area than any previous incumbent.

Much luck and keep up the good work, Nick
  • Options

Off-topic:

What a glorious Fourth of July. My car was in for a service so I spent a few hours walking from Cambridge down to Grantchester and around in a loop. Lots of people dressed up in stars and stripes - and a couple as colonial soldiers - on the meadows and in the river, and plenty of other fun in the sun.

Oh, and a fair few pieces of 'Free Tommy' graffiti. And one, in the same hand, saying 'Flat earth bible'.

Couple of days ago the dogs started barking and would not stop. We live on a very rural street and can see no neighbors from front or back of house. Eventually, I investigated as to causing of incessant barking.

A troop of 10 colonial soldiers, with muskets and early US flag, marching single file down the road with a purpose. God know where they were going, what they were re-enacting.
  • Options

Congratulations on the appointment Nick! :+1:
  • Options
    Also picked up some strawberries from Sainsbury's, they've got Driscoll's Jubilee ones in. They really are the best variety, worth the premium over standard ones.
  • Options

Good luck, a worthy cause!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749

Many congratulations! Sounds like a really worthwhile, if demanding, role.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,998
    Congrats, Mr. Palmer.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Off-topic:

Couple of days ago the dogs started barking and would not stop. We live on a very rural street and can see no neighbors from front or back of house. Eventually, I investigated as to causing of incessant barking.

A troop of 10 colonial soldiers, with muskets and early US flag, marching single file down the road with a purpose. God know where they were going, what they were re-enacting.
    Sounds like we need to despatch some royalist soldiers to crush this rebellion in its infancy. :o
  • Options

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

MaxPB said:

"Our victories"? You've taken off your SoCal hat then?
    I'm a Brit who lives in London. I have a holiday home in SoCal.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Betfair exchange:

Sweden 4.9
    England 1.97
    Draw 3.4

Russia 4.1
    Croatia 2.28
    Draw 3.1

Uruguay 4.8
    France 2.04
    Draw 3.25

Brazil 2.2
    Belgium 3.8
    Draw 3.5

Random thought - looking at those numbers I wondered if nations with big football audiences are routinely overpriced, and that you could turn a profit by backing smaller countries systematically. Or is that something so obvious that punters already factor it in?
    It’s certainly true that a bookmaker’s odds can be distorted by sheer weight of money for one side of a bet, leading to a cut in price. One might imagine that England playing a World Cup match might be the ultimate expression of that theory.

It would be an interesting exercise to look at what were the starting prices with, for example, a Vegas Sports Book, compared to the British bookies and Betfair for last night’s match. If my theory is right you’d have got better odds from the ‘neutral’ US bookie.
  • Options

So Policy doesn't include compassion? Or is Compassion not policy?

(congratulations, by the way)
This discussion has been closed.