Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Electoral Commission decision on Vote Leave should make TM

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Also, it looks like growth has picked up again, even against the background of a dysfunctional government and no direction for Brexit. My guess is we're looking at 0.3% Q1 final and 0.4% Q2 initial which will get revised to 0.5% final. Full year growth will come in at between 1.6% and 1.9% IMO. If the government negotiates a deal the minimises trade disruption and plots a long term exit from the Customs Union (as has been suggested) then I expect next year we will see growth jump.

As with Robert, I have always said Brexit is a journey. Ideally we will do it in stages, I have no qualms about staying in the Customs Union for 3-5 years and then a customs partnership for another 2-4 years until we're ready with the tech to deal with a customs border. If the EU is happy to sign up to that then I think it's a good result. What we can't have is an indefinite timescale of staying in the Customs Union, I don't think that helps anyone plan anything because a future government will eventually get voted in on the basis of "proper Brexit".

Ideally this is the journey Brexit -> Customs Union/EEA -> customs partnership/EEA/EFTA -> customs border with pre-clearance of key industries/EEA -> Bespoke deal which rolls everything into formal relationship with mutual recognition in key areas. Overall I'd say 10 years to get it done, unfortunately we're already two years behind schedule.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    MaxPB said:

Also, it looks like growth has picked up again, even against the background of a dysfunctional government and no direction for Brexit. My guess is we're looking at 0.3% Q1 final and 0.4% Q2 initial which will get revised to 0.5% final. Full year growth will come in at between 1.6% and 1.9% IMO. If the government negotiates a deal the minimises trade disruption and plots a long term exit from the Customs Union (as has been suggested) then I expect next year we will see growth jump.

As with Robert, I have always said Brexit is a journey. Ideally we will do it in stages, I have no qualms about staying in the Customs Union for 3-5 years and then a customs partnership for another 2-4 years until we're ready with the tech to deal with a customs border. If the EU is happy to sign up to that then I think it's a good result. What we can't have is an indefinite timescale of staying in the Customs Union, I don't think that helps anyone plan anything because a future government will eventually get voted in on the basis of "proper Brexit".

Ideally this is the journey Brexit -> Customs Union/EEA -> customs partnership/EEA/EFTA -> customs border with pre-clearance of key industries/EEA -> Bespoke deal which rolls everything into formal relationship with mutual recognition in key areas. Overall I'd say 10 years to get it done, unfortunately we're already two years behind schedule.

+1

Especially 'What we can't have is an indefinite timescale of staying in the Customs Union'. The deal, for it to stand, needs to be taking us out, however slowly, of the low-earth orbit of the EU.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    MaxPB said:

Global Britain it ain't... More like interminable navel gazing that almost nobody has any appetite for. It's also irresponsible to contemplate spending a decade as a destabilising factor in Europe.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Pulpstar said:

Time for an Urgent Question on McVey?

Time for her to go
    Anything specifically?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Global Britain it ain't... More like interminable navel gazing that almost nobody has any appetite for. It's also irresponsible to contemplate spending a decade as a destabilising factor in Europe.
    What's 10 years in the history of a nation? It might seem like a long time in EU terms, but the EU was not year zero, despite your own beliefs/hopes.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    philiph said:

Shouldn't the blame be shared by or accepted by a police force that is gullible, bends to political pressure, seeks high profile publicity and forgets that implementing basic policing skills would have prevented then being duped by 'Nick'

Like the media, the police have a split personality dealing with politicians and celebrities. On the one hand they are wary of causing ructions (look at the alleged behaviour in A Very English Scandal for a glaring example), on the other they rather fancy heroically "exposing" someone (the publicity engineered about the raid on Cliff's house was an example).

Years ago as as an MP I was stopped by a policeman for driving at 20 through a Derbyshire village late at night - he wondered if I might be drunk ("drunk drivers often drive with excessive caution"). He made it clear with a sly grin that he "knew who I was". I felt reasonably sure that he thought he might have scored a little coup.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

The vote is and was legitimate. The question seems to be around undue influence and to what extent voters were hoodwinked.

Leave exaggerated claims as did Remain. Neither campaign covered themselves in glory.

A question Remain should be asking is why it was so unconvincing as to turn a 60:40 result on (average) opinion polling in the months leading up to it into a 52:48 loss, but it isn’t.

To the extent it is, it blames everyone else but itself.

Some Breiteeers place an inordinate amount of weight on the 2016 result and constantly implore Remainers to "understand why they lost", as if we need to seek repentance for having the temerity to hold a different view.

To be clear, any breach of the law is a breach of the law and should be punished. But, the average UK voter viewed the EU ref campaign as David v. Goliath. And rightly so.

They aren’t going to begrudge David for sneaking an extra small stone out of his pocket in the final few seconds to catapult up to an already teetering Goliath.

You're projecting. The average UK voter saw two well-funded campaigns with supposedly serious people on both sides.
    The “understand why you lost” argument is a response to the claim the referendum divided the country

In my view it was already divided but the result just brought it to the media’s attention.

The response of some - not all - of the Remainers has been that the leave voters are stupid or unimportant and must be ignored because they (the Remainers) know what is best for the country. In that context “understand why you lost” is an important part of the healing process
    I see “understand why you lost” more as an intra-elite game of one-upmanship where the Brexit elite seek to claim the mantle of being more in touch with ordinary people. This is why they're so desperate for the purity of their victory to be maintained.
    Am just a bloke from down west who works for a living. What do I know about “intra-elite games of one-upmanship”?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,281
    Back to the reliable, old pints and gurning act for Nige.

https://twitter.com/MarinaHyde/status/1014429755779833856

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    Yeah she should be toast.

She's even more toastier than Amber Rudd on the afternoon of April 29th
  • Options

What was he doing during Euro 96?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

The immediate worry for the bet is Grayling, but he's just implementing Gov't policy so its more an admission the Tories have failed with the railways if he's sacked. For that reason I think he stays.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The immediate worry for the bet is Grayling, but he's just implementing Gov't policy so its more an admission the Tories have failed with the railways if he's sacked. For that reason I think he stays.
    The question is with we've got PMQs coming up which is when ministers are most vulnerable to getting sacked.

Can Jez do me a favour and absolutely hammer Mrs May on the liar McVey.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The question is with we've got PMQs coming up which is when ministers are most vulnerable to getting sacked.

Can someone knock up a quick thread header with this tweet ? I know MPs read the blog, but not sure how many dive into the comments.
  • Options
    Grayling to the DWP and Kwasi to Transport?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,034
    MaxPB said:

You're never going to get ten years of successive government committed to this yellow brick road.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Is moving Grayling to one of the largest departments by budget really sensible ?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    So after England fantastic victory last night against the dirty cheating Colombian team everybody has being nice to one another right....looks down thread...nope, nothing changed here then, same arguments being repeated.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Footage has emerged of Jordan Pickford's cat image
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

MaxPB said:

You're never going to get ten years of successive government committed to this yellow brick road.
    Unless a government pledges to repeal the Brexit bill and the "EU/UK deal" bill then I don't see why not. Most of the heavy lifting won't be done by ministers anyway. Once we've got the outline of what the deal is and the implementation time frame agreed it will be mostly technical work that will be done by civil servants and industry.
  • Options

Footage has emerged of Jordan Pickford's cat image

The more I have watched footage of the save that isn't being talked about, the better it gets.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Is moving Grayling to one of the largest departments by budget really sensible ?
    It gets him out of transport where he is losing us the election.
  • Options

So after England fantastic victory last night against the dirty cheating Colombian team everybody has being nice to one another right....looks down thread...nope, nothing changed here then, same arguments being repeated.

Leavers, remoaners and releavers alike all 'still believe' 'It's coming home' though, so not much to argue about.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,436
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

...and into DWP and UC which will definitely help lose the election once the thousands and thousands who are on child tax credit find out what they are losing.
  • Options
    Wiltshire 'major incident': Amesbury pair critically ill after exposure to 'unknown substance' near Salisbury

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/07/04/major-incident-inamesbury-unknown-substance-leaves-two-people/
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,436

Pulpstar said:

He'll mess it up. Probably lead on NHS and forget to ask about McVey once they get into an argument about whether Welsh NHS is a mess or not.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Pulpstar said:
    Best to wait to hear Esther McVey's side of the story.

At least as terminal for Sir Amyas Morse if he has it wrong.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,830
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Nothing about having Grayling in charge of anything more than the paperclip budget is sensible. Even that would be a stretch.

Solid oak from ear to ear.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

...and into DWP and UC which will definitely help lose the election once the thousands and thousands who are on child tax credit find out what they are losing.
    I'd go for Cleverly if I was May. He looks to have the neccesary steel to push through the changes, and the public doesn't hold him in contempt like Grayling.
    Of course he'll make himself unpopular with the left but I expect he won't mind that too much.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

Russia has a long history of trying to keep the UK out of the EEC/EU.

https://twitter.com/EmporersNewC/status/1014433828453183493

Presumably de Gaulle was a Soviet puppet then - as he kept us out of the Common Market in the 1960s. Still hunting down an article from 1961 to prove a point in 2018 certainly shows perseverance!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

He'll mess it up. Probably lead on NHS and forget to ask about McVey once they get into an argument about whether Welsh NHS is a mess or not.
    Sounds like Corbyn. If Labour had a competent leader McVey would already be handing in her resignation letter.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

The aftermath of the referendum was far more bitter than I anticipated and I’ve been reflecting on that for over 2 years.

We have talked about that before.

In a referendum, the "traitors" are your family, friends and neighbours.

That was obvious after the Scottish vote, and why it so much more visceral than any election.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    brendan16 said:

Presumably de Gaulle was a Soviet puppet then - as he kept us out of the Common Market in the 1960s. Still hunting down an article from 1961 to prove a point in 2018 certainly shows perseverance!
    Incorrect assumption.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,034
    MaxPB said:

Unless a government pledges to repeal the Brexit bill and the "EU/UK deal" bill then I don't see why not. Most of the heavy lifting won't be done by ministers anyway. Once we've got the outline of what the deal is and the implementation time frame agreed it will be mostly technical work that will be done by civil servants and industry.

They won't pledge anything; they will either fuck around with the arrangements because they think they know better or reverse them for ideological reasons.

The idea that an incoming Labour/Coalition of Shit government in 2022, whether helmed by Corbyn, Umunna or Danny Dyer, is going to quietly and diligently work to execute some 10 year tory Brexit plan is mental.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,847

He probably has a Cameronesque level of football knowledge tbf.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I'm sorry, but when are people going to get it into their heads? Under EU treaty (article 28, I believe), it is impossible to leave the EU and remain in the customs union. In effect the EU *is* the customs union. When we leave the EU next March we also leave the customs union. (I learned this customs union fact on the blog www.eureferendum.com - a blog by someone who seems a great deal more knowledgeable about the EU and its treaties than many politicians and journalists.)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,833
    Dura_Ace said:

MaxPB said:

What Leavers fear about BRINO is that it will both be popular and reversible.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Politicians should stay well clear of pretending to have fantastic knowledge of football. From Cameron and his West Ham Villa to Corbyn quoting a Scotman's as one of the greatest English managers.

Actually, politicians and sport, music, popular tv...just be honest and say I don't watch Love Island, I prefer cricket to football and who the hell are the Arctic Monkeys.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

MaxPB said:

They won't pledge anything; they will either fuck around with the arrangements because they think they know better or reverse them for ideological reasons.

The idea that an incoming Labour/Coalition of Shit government in 2022, whether helmed by Corbyn, Umunna or Danny Dyer, is going to quietly and diligently work to execute some 10 year tory Brexit plan is mental.
    I don't see how Corbyn and his coalition of c**** would win in 2022 if the Brexit deal is seen as acceptable to enough leavers and remainers. If anything the campaign would be "don't let Jez and Nicola fuck it up".
  • Options
    edited July 2018

I read PB most days. Even though I never bet.
    I read for the political news and analysis, which is excellent. And why the site is held in such high regard.

Although, actual betters should keep in mind, the Lib Dem tinted glasses do sometimes mean what is presented as a possibility, is often , more just wishful thinking.

Actually that goes for most arguments from any given political perspective.

But much of the analysis is, as you say, nonetheless interesting.
  • Options
    Bit worried about this Amesbury news. It's where I do my food shopping. The road where the couple were found, Muggleton Road, isn't on google maps, so I'm guessing is hidden as so close to Boscombe?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Dura_Ace said:

MaxPB said:

I don't see how Corbyn and his coalition of c**** would win in 2022 if the Brexit deal is seen as acceptable to enough leavers and remainers. If anything the campaign would be "don't let Jez and Nicola fuck it up".
    Corbyn 2027, then... ?
    :smile:
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    PB Brains Trust.

Is there a point attending a postal vote verification (the day before polling day) other than to check if massive fraud is occuring?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Dura_Ace said:

MaxPB said:

How will you deal with the "Brexit isn't working" posters at the first sign of recession?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208

Bit worried about this Amesbury news. It's where I do my food shopping. The road where the couple were found, Muggleton Road, isn't on google maps, so I'm guessing is hidden as so close to Boscombe?

It looks like a new build estate so probably just not been added to Google Maps yet.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920
    Dura_Ace said:

MaxPB said:

Beggars belief that anyone could think that would happen. I'd add - there are more than a few shades of Tory who would similarly not want to go ahead with this plan.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

PB Brains Trust.

Is there a point attending a postal vote verification (the day before polling day) other than to check if massive fraud is occuring?

It might help you work out what turnout might be like and the result.

It could help you improve your GOTV
  • Options

Given they have allowed super high def aerial of the MoD site on google maps, I am not sure that is the reason.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Dura_Ace said:

MaxPB said:

Beggars belief that anyone could think that would happen. I'd add - there are more than a few shades of Tory who would similarly not want to go ahead with this plan.
    Moreover as @simonmaxwell implies downthread, given that replicating the customs union as a non-member requires negotiation with the EU, what's in it for them to agree to this plan?
  • Options

Freggles said:

PB Brains Trust.

So they do visibly open them then?
  • Options

brendan16 said:

Incorrect assumption.
    I agree - that's the point. The fact that two people may disapprove of or oppose something doesn't mean they do so for the same reason or that one is acting under the direction of the other.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,068
    tlg86 said:

It looks like a new build estate so probably just not been added to Google Maps yet.
    It’s on my phone. Google Muggleton Rd, Salisbury, although it’s nearer, but S of,Amesbury. Just off the A345
  • Options

Given they have allowed super high def aerial of the MoD site on google maps, I am not sure that is the reason.
    I think I've found the high def pictures of Muggleton Road being built! Just next to Amesbury cricket club.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Politicians should stay well clear of pretending to have fantastic knowledge of football. From Cameron and his West Ham Villa to Corbyn quoting a Scotman's as one of the greatest English managers.
    Agreed politicians should avoid pretending.

However, Corbyn is undoubtedly a genuine football fan (turns up week after week at the Emirates) and what he said was "here's an inspirational message from one of our country's finest ever football managers" - hard to deny that Shankly wasn't one of the finest managers in English football.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

MaxPB said:

What Leavers fear about BRINO is that it will both be popular and reversible.
    Does BRINO = BINO? Or is there a new acronym I need to learn?
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Freggles said:

PB Brains Trust.

I meant if there's only 20 postal votes in total and you were expecting 100 it means turnout is going to be low and the side that gets out their vote on the day could win.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Pulpstar said:

Theresa May won't want to sack anyone two days before the Chequers meeting at which any number of ministers might walk out.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Dura_Ace said:

MaxPB said:

Corbyn 2027, then... ?
    :smile:
    B%^&*y H£$l how old will he be then?
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    *Sigh* another rant about whether Brexit is a good idea. Getting dull; we all know where we stand and wherever swing voters are, they aren't posting here.

But I don't think I've shared before how our family was contacted by the various campaigns, showed something about the organisation on both sides.

The Leave side rang me months beforehand (said it was a councillor ring-round) heard I was leaning Remain. I also signed up to their Euro football predictor which included a mandatory 'How likely 0-10 are you to support Brexit?'

The Remain side never contacted me. My wife - an EU citizen so unable to vote - received a letter from Karren Brady a few days beforehand. And a good (councillor) friend with a postal vote was phoned up a few days before, about how to get to his polling station.

That suggested to me that remain - for all their talk of being the well-funded machine - were making simple errors and wasting much of the resource that they did have. For all the talk of high concepts, my perception was that Vote Leave were much better organised than they liked to admit, and Stronger In a bit of a shambles.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited July 2018

I just don’t understand how the people on here don’t understand democracy. If Labour had lied tied their way into power last year with their nonsense manifesto that even a five year old could see could not be financed then it would have been democratic to let them make it work. I don’t agree with far left politics, and I think it would be immediately severe to economic prospects for the country, and in turn that would cause social problems. Look at Venezuela! This is how politics works, and I would have to get on with my life in those circumstances, including supporting the government through taxation, or I would have to leave the country.

The lying yes, they'd have got to do the full term, although this is a bit different in that the results are harder for a subsequent parliament to reverse; You'd have to convince 27 member states to let the UK back in, and get all their various parliaments and heads of state to ratify it, whereas if it was a left-wing government you'd just re-privatize the shops and ask the Royal Navy to stop blockading Israel and you'd be on your way.

But if they'd broken the law in any significant way then the elections in the seats where they'd done that would have been re-run. That's what happened in Oldham East.
  • Options
    You sit down to watch the big match and hear some commotion outside your front window...

https://twitter.com/Felicity_Baker/status/1014249926186946560
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

There's a decent chance he will go for it. This ought to end McVey's chances of being leader, although who knows!?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    King Cole, younger than Enrico Dandolo when he leapt from a ship into the water to reinvigorate the attack on Constantinople.

(Dandolo was also blind).
  • Options
    "I am the very model of a Corbynite commentator/I have no time for you Blairite pontificator/I defy the warning of every centrist prognosticator."

That's so far from scanning it makes you wonder if he even knows the tune.
  • Options

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

PB Brains Trust.

I meant if there's only 20 postal votes in total and you were expecting 100 it means turnout is going to be low and the side that gets out their vote on the day could win.
    Ah, OK. Our operation isn't that sophisticated! Thanks.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. Pointer, not a patch on a scientist Salarian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAN39vT4PN8
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Has Paul Mason done an Ancestry DNA test? Piers Morgan discovered live on GMB he did not have even have an ounce of Englishness.

Where can I get a proletarian passport - does it give you freedom of movement to Tuscany and the south of France?
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Freggles said:

PB Brains Trust.

Yes you can get a fairly accurate tally to see if things are going the way they should be. They can tell you if a vote is going to be close or not.
  • Options

Mark Wallace had a better go at it.

"I’m very good at theories if they’re Marxist economical/ My view on Labour hist’ry is not Red Tory canonical/ In short the revolution will be doomed by procrastinators/ I am the very model of the Corbynite commentators

I spent my youth in praise of those who waved red flags in lands afar/ Who doesn’t like a revolution named for Simon Bolivar?/ If things go wrong and people die it doesn’t count as socialist/ I am the very model of a Corbynite rhetoricist.

I know what evry bit of LGBTQ2S stands for/ I feel a bit uncomfy at the theme of 1984/ I think you are to blame for any offence I have ever felt/ And anyone who disagrees will be ignored ‘cos they’re a melt.

I can deploy a Twitter search to ascertain your purity/ At any sign of deviance you'll be banished to obscurity/ It isn't very nice if you are exiled from our Corbyn club/ *mutters*...Corbyn club, Corbyn club...aha! Just like that @EddieMarsan who prefers a dinner to a pub

On matters journalistic, the MSM all lie to me/ I'd rather get some honest news from Skwawkbox or the Canary/ My views on Laura Kuenssberg would ashame an ISIS jihadist/ I am the very model of a kinder gentler Corbynist"
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Just an update on my status, I'm supporting Sweden in the next game. Unless they suddenly start being as dirty as the Columbians.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

Has Paul Mason done an Ancestry DNA test? Piers Morgan discovered live on GMB he did not have even have an ounce of Englishness.

Where can I get a proletarian passport - does it give you freedom of movement to Tuscany and the south of France?
    You've got that already, but you'd better hurry!
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422

"I’m very good at theories if they’re Marxist economical/ My view on Labour hist’ry is not Red Tory canonical/ In short the revolution will be doomed by procrastinators/ I am the very model of the Corbynite commentators

I spent my youth in praise of those who waved red flags in lands afar/ Who doesn’t like a revolution named for Simon Bolivar?/ If things go wrong and people die it doesn’t count as socialist/ I am the very model of a Corbynite rhetoricist.

I know what evry bit of LGBTQ2S stands for/ I feel a bit uncomfy at the theme of 1984/ I think you are to blame for any offence I have ever felt/ And anyone who disagrees will be ignored ‘cos they’re a melt.

I can deploy a Twitter search to ascertain your purity/ At any sign of deviance you'll be banished to obscurity/ It isn't very nice if you are exiled from our Corbyn club/ *mutters*...Corbyn club, Corbyn club...aha! Just like that @EddieMarsan who prefers a dinner to a pub

On matters journalistic, the MSM all lie to me/ I'd rather get some honest news from Skwawkbox or the Canary/ My views on Laura Kuenssberg would ashame an ISIS jihadist/ I am the very model of a kinder gentler Corbynist"
    That is superb (except the first verse, which is a bit weak). But the in-jokes and the use of rhythm - not just in where it naturally fits but in where it's forced for comic effect - is nothing short of brilliant, and the sign-off - pairing Corbynist with jihadist and then throwing 'kinder, gentler' into the mix, while not quite rhyming, is sufficiently provocative in its multiple juxtaposition to be superb.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    They've now cordoned off a Boots just near the Amesbury Aldi
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Penny Mordaunt just verbally answered a questions in the Commons and also sign languaged her answer as well.

Applause across the House.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789
    Tour de Force by Penny Mordaunt signing her reply on a disability conference - round of applause in the HoC.
  • Options
    But that's what they signed up for last December.

Didn't the ERG read what they signed up for?

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/1014463706095390720
  • Options
    edited July 2018

It's better but not up to Gilbert's standard. He'd have had a field day were he alive in this Trumpian, Brexit era.

As an aside, someone could surely stage a very funny Mikado or Pinafore, set with a Brexit libretto. (Sir Joseph Porter replaced by Jean-Claude Juncker: "I am the chief of the EU/ Though never voted for by you".)

However we probably ought to wait and see how/when/if Brexit ends before attempting it!
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited July 2018

But that's what they signed up for last December.

Didn't the ERG read what they signed up for?

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/1014463706095390720

IIUC they signed up for either this or a border at the Irish Sea, they might have thought they'd be getting the second one and the DUP was going to get screwed not them.
  • Options
    Esther McVey is on the front bench.
  • Options
    Oh dear Theresa. Oh dear.
  • Options

What on earth has she done?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,393

Misspoke but it was funny and she took it well
  • Options

https://twitter.com/JGForsyth/status/1014465943395856386
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208

Did she claim to have saved the world?
  • Options

Misspoke how?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,393

Misspoke how?
    Said when we leave the UK instead of EU
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789

"When we leave the UK"....when she meant "EU"......easy slip of the tongue.

Why is Corbyn going on about buses when its a local government responsibility?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Buses super important but not sure the slam dunk Jezza thinks it might be?

Might as well lead on manhole covers.

Tezza visibly relieved she's getting such an easy ride.
This discussion has been closed.