Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The danger for LAB is that its equivocation over Brexit could

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Sandpit said:

BREXIT Time is the Fav in the next race at Hamilton 6/5 i am on

DYOR

As opposed to Hamilton being the favourite for the next race in Northamptonshire at the weekend? ;)
    Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire to be precise.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

RobD said:

Good afternoon, everyone.

Which state has the record for winning naval battles in (what is today territory of) Switzerland?

[NB I'm aware it's landlocked].

On a related note, wasn’t the EU fisheries commissioner recently Austrian, that famous naval power.
    Wasn't Austria the major power in the defeat of the Turks at lepanto?
    The main powers were Spain, and its satellites, and Venice.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    So glad I have an iPhone.

Samsung phones are randomly sending photos to contacts - reports

In a statement the South Korean company said it was investigating the issue, which seems to be affecting the Samsung Message app.

https://news.sky.com/story/samsung-phones-are-randomly-sending-photos-to-contacts-reports-11424581?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

Look on the bright side at least these Samsung phones aren't exploding and leading to fires this time.
  • Options
    Frighteningly, the app doesn't even show users that the files have been sent - they're only finding out when they get a response from the recipient of the random photos.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Which state has the record for winning naval battles in (what is today territory of) Switzerland?

On a related note, wasn’t the EU fisheries commissioner recently Austrian, that famous naval power.
    When we the last time they had a Navy?

And according to Wikipedia, they weren’t involved.
    'Christian' fleet commanded by Admiral John of Austria,
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    This game isn't exactly an exhbition of world class striking at the moment.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Colombia won't be frightened about either side in the Quarters.
  • Options
    Well that's my cue to head off to Old Trafford.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited July 2018
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

DYOR

As opposed to Hamilton being the favourite for the next race in Northamptonshire at the weekend? ;)
    Smart arse! Yes the county line runs through the middle of the site.

Sadly I’m not going to make it back to Blighty for the F1 nor the Goodwood Festival this year :(
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    This one isn’t quite Japan vs Belgium .....
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

DYOR

Smart arse! Yes the county line runs through the middle of the site.

Sadly I’m not going to make it back to Blighty for the F1 nor the Goodwood Festival this year :(
    To be fair, the official address is Northamptonshire, presumably because the old pits, BRDC building and main entrance are at that end of the circuit.
  • Options
    William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346

RobD said:

RobD said:

Who wasn't particularly Austrian aside from being a Habsburg bastard.

The Austrian navy did win a notable victory over the Italians at Lissa in 1866
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

In a statement the South Korean company said it was investigating the issue, which seems to be affecting the Samsung Message app.

https://news.sky.com/story/samsung-phones-are-randomly-sending-photos-to-contacts-reports-11424581?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

Look on the bright side at least these Samsung phones aren't exploding and leading to fires this time.

You've evidently forgotten this:
    https://www.computerworld.com/article/3239047/apple-mac/what-to-do-about-apples-shameful-mac-security-flaw.html

:)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Our boys have been playing Fortnite for 9 solid days.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. Pulpstar, no PUBG? H1Z1?
  • Options
    SUpporters not exactly rushing back to their seats for the second half.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

RobD said:

RobD said:

Why inverted commas? It undoubtedly was. In any case, he was in the service of Spain.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    If this is the case (big if) then PB Leavers might notice the critical issue driving the whole shebang, namely the necessity of no hard border in NI. As some of us have been pointing out on here for ages.

Oh throw one up, the PB Leavers might then cry, thus disqualifying themselves from the right to engage in intelligent discussion about the future of Brexit and the UK.
  • Options
    And whilst on the subject of tech fuckwittideness:

"Google has confirmed that private emails sent and received by Gmail users can sometimes be read by third-party app developers."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44699263
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,691
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Our boys have been playing Fortnite for 9 solid days.
    Not 14?
  • Options
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,314
    WTF? Members of the Labour party threatened to kill Jews? Is that what this implies?
  • Options
    This really is a piss poor game.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

WTF? Members of the Labour party threatened to kill Jews? Is that what this implies?
    from the graun; "The MP for Sheffield Hallam is among more than 70 cases that will be considered by the NEC’s disputes panel on Tuesday, which examines all complaints deemed serious enough to warrant official sanction.

The vast majority are complaints involving antisemitism, including calls for Jews to be murdered, sources said.

“Some of the stuff they will have to wade through is awful, some is straightforward Holocaust denial,” one party source said. “We’d expect most of them to be referred for expulsion but there is already a huge backlog of cases.”
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,994
    TOPPING said:

If this is the case (big if) then PB Leavers might notice the critical issue driving the whole shebang, namely the necessity of no hard border in NI. As some of us have been pointing out on here for ages.

Oh throw one up, the PB Leavers might then cry, thus disqualifying themselves from the right to engage in intelligent discussion about the future of Brexit and the UK.
    You lost that right months ago but you still dribble your posts onto here fuckwit.
  • Options

from the graun; "The MP for Sheffield Hallam is among more than 70 cases that will be considered by the NEC’s disputes panel on Tuesday, which examines all complaints deemed serious enough to warrant official sanction.

The vast majority are complaints involving antisemitism, including calls for Jews to be murdered, sources said.

“Some of the stuff they will have to wade through is awful, some is straightforward Holocaust denial,” one party source said. “We’d expect most of them to be referred for expulsion but there is already a huge backlog of cases.”
    Convenient it is on the day of the big England game.
  • Options

This really is a piss poor game.

Sweden saving their most creative work for their own penalty area.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Lucky Sweden....get a deflection for 1-0
  • Options

“Some of the stuff they will have to wade through is awful, some is straightforward Holocaust denial,”

Holocaust denial is such vanilla antisemitism these days in Labour, eh?
  • Options

Lucky Sweden....get a deflection for 1-0

Well it was never going to be a beautiful length of the field flowing move.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Sweden didn't really deserve to score there.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

TOPPING said:

You lost that right months ago but you still dribble your posts onto here fuckwit.
    QED.

Completely misunderstood the dynamic, geopolitical context, and history of NI/RoI and reduced to inane rantings.

Edit: twat x2
  • Options
    Can someone please tell the replays man/woman to stop showing so many when play has already started. It's getting a bit annoying: it's happened at every match so far.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,319

No. Complaints about comments that are anti-semitism. Complaints about threats to kill. Though from what I saw some of the antisemites may also be the people threatening to kill the people pointing out that their "we aren't antisemitic stop attacking Jeremy you Tory" comments were antisemitic...
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,319

Ah come on. Who actually uses any of the manufacturer shite apps? Samsung Messenger? Isn't that what WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger are for? I don't currently have a Galaxy phone, but on my Galaxy Tab thing all the proprietry stuff gets uninstalled or disabled from the get go.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I don't think England will be complaining too much about potentially playing Sweden in the next round if they can beat Colombia.
  • Options
    Sweden under the cosh here.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,358
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

QED.

Completely misunderstood the dynamic, geopolitical context, and history of NI/RoI and reduced to inane rantings.

Come on folks - why don't you both kiss and make up ( figuratively speaking)
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    AndyJS said:

I don't think England will be complaining too much about potentially playing Sweden in the next round if they can beat Colombia.

It seems pretty clear that the four strongest teams left in the tournament are in the other half of the draw. Of course, that also means that Sweden, Croatia, etc, are not exactly worried about potentially playing England either.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

QED.

Big G I appreciate your intervention. Richard is evidently quite troubled in some way I don't think we should intrude upon. I am very happy to be the recipient of his rantings if it in some way brings him even limited relief.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412
    RobD said:

RobD said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austro-Hungarian_Navy

The Tegethoff class dreadnoughts were the first with triple gun turrets and they also had them in a superfiring arrangement (one turret firing over the one in front/behind).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegetthoff-class_battleship

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Peston's conclusion is that rejecting May's vision results in EEA. I don't know where he gets that from....?

I want to see the details of the plan, but as an importer currently concerned by an overreaching EU bureaucracy that doesn't understand a) my business or b) that stamps and photographs were not created in the eighteenth century or c) that there is basically no need for the legislation whatsoever, the idea of staying in the customs union by the back door is concerning.
  • Options

The canton of Zürich won a naval battle against the Old Swiss Confederacy, in the Old Zürich War
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

The Tegethoff class dreadnoughts were the first with triple gun turrets and they also had them in a superfiring arrangement (one turret firing over the one in front/behind).

Just as long as they were more successful than one of our first turret designs:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Captain_(1869)

Mind you, the idea of having a ship with masts and turrets always seems a little dangerous... ;)
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited July 2018
    The Guardian have quoted Rees-Mogg as saying that:

The Conservative party in office has always, since [1920s leader Stanley] Baldwin, elected a former chancellor, home secretary or foreign secretary.

I know that such patterns are there to be broken, but I think that would restrict the pool of candidates to:

Hammond
    Boris
    Javid
    Rudd

Both Hague and Osborne would be on that list if still MPs, but they aren't, so I haven't included them.

Thoughts?

Edit: I suppose Ken Clarke would fit the criteria too!
  • Options

The canton of Zürich won a naval battle against the Old Swiss Confederacy, in the Old Zürich War
    Yes, but could they moor their ships well?
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    Fully agree. This should be Labour policy - if it is not already. Point 3 is very important

"enshrine and enhance working rights, social and environmental protections which are currently based in EU law. These must be transferred into UK law through primary legislation, open and democratically."

This can only be done if we are in the EU. A Tory governemnt can always change such protections together with a supine HoL.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412

RobD said:

RobD said:

Mind you, the idea of having a ship with masts and turrets always seems a little dangerous... ;)
    You mean you never heard of dreadnought battleships? Named after HMS Dreadnought?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadnought
  • Options
    Pat Nevin is confident:

'If England play against that Sweden team, 99 times out of 100, they will beat them.'
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

RobD said:

RobD said:

The Tegethoffs were also named after the admiral who brought wooden ships to an ironclad fight and won:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lissa_(1866)
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

You mean you never heard of dreadnought battleships? Named after HMS Dreadnought?

Thanks to a PB'ers past recommendation, I have DK Brown's excellent 'Warrior to Dreadnought' and 'Before the Ironclad' on my bookshelves ...

Oh, and we got married on HMS Warrior. So yes, I have heard of Dreadnoughts and many of the ships around that period. I'm not quite sure what point you were trying to make, though ... ;)
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

The Conservative party in office has always, since [1920s leader Stanley] Baldwin, elected a former chancellor, home secretary or foreign secretary.

I know that such patterns are there to be broken, but I think that would restrict the pool of candidates to:

Hammond
    Boris
    Javid
    Rudd

Both Hague and Osborne would be on that list if still MPs, but they aren't, so I haven't included them.

Thoughts?

It does show that the Conservatives are likely to choose a candidate of unchallengeable experience. To your list you can add Michael Gove, Jeremy Hunt and David Davis as potentially papabile, given their seniority and (in the former two cases) the length of their experience. As of today's date I can't see beyond those.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

QED.

Big G I appreciate your intervention. Richard is evidently quite troubled in some way I don't think we should intrude upon. I am very happy to be the recipient of his rantings if it in some way brings him even limited relief.
    Good to have humour. We all need a bit of light relief
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,879
    Jared O'Mara and Tom Watson. Labour's regrettable thug tendency in full effect today...
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    Good article by Peston
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,914
    surby said:

Fully agree. This should be Labour policy - if it is not already. Point 3 is very important

"enshrine and enhance working rights, social and environmental protections which are currently based in EU law. These must be transferred into UK law through primary legislation, open and democratically."

This can only be done if we are in the EU. A Tory governemnt can always change such protections together with a supine HoL.
    Looks pretty indistinguishable to Labour policy to me.
    I think this is a much more fruitful line than another referendum, which is both unlikely to happen in time and unlikely to be successful.
  • Options

They'd want to with the number of pikemen they used to fit on them

and the rafts too

• Options
    edited July 2018

Hammond
    Boris
    Javid
    Rudd

Thoughts?

Ken is retiring at the next election and Javid not only has my vote, but I suspect the majority of us members at this time. I would not exclude Gove either
  • Options

They'd want to with the number of pikemen they used to fit on them

and the rafts too

That top picture shows one heck of an orgy. A lot of pricks and a few bug guns ready to go off. And only six condoms ...

Mind you, they're a bit odd. They appear to have their breasts on their shoulders ...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. Jimmy, I was unaware of that, cheers :)
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

QED.

Good to have humour. We all need a bit of light relief
    For Richard, sadly, it's at not with.
  • Options
    On topic, 8% isnt an especially large amount of voters, and some presumably were leavers not remainers. Plus, where do those voters go? To the Lib Dems? Maybe, but i think while the tories are keeping hard brexit alive and in the news, labours realistic soft brexit will look better than an unrealistic attempt to have anothe referendum and keep us in the EU. If May does stand up to her hard liners, decides to keep us in the customs union and single market or equivalent thrn the calculation changes....
  • Options
    Bitter article in the Guardian from one of their cricket correspondents on being forced to watch England vs India instead of England vs Colombia, a situation for which, rightly, he castigates the ECB. After all the World Cup schedule, including the rest days has been known for some time, longer than before the Indians touring details were settled.
    I wonder what he viewing figures for England vs India will be, and indeed, how the ticket sales have gone!
  • Options

Bitter article in the Guardian from one of their cricket correspondents on being forced to watch England vs India instead of England vs Colombia, a situation for which, rightly, he castigates the ECB. After all the World Cup schedule, including the rest days has been known for some time, longer than before the Indians touring details were settled.
    I wonder what he viewing figures for England vs India will be, and indeed, how the ticket sales have gone!

Only at the Guardian would a man who gets paid to watch cricket complain that he can’t watch football instead.

I’d imagine a lot of cricket fans who don’t care about football would be happy to be at Old Trafford, along with the prawn sandwich brigade *waves at Mr Eagles*
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    rkrkrk said:

On topic, 8% isnt an especially large amount of voters, and some presumably were leavers not remainers. Plus, where do those voters go? To the Lib Dems? Maybe, but i think while the tories are keeping hard brexit alive and in the news, labours realistic soft brexit will look better than an unrealistic attempt to have anothe referendum and keep us in the EU. If May does stand up to her hard liners, decides to keep us in the customs union and single market or equivalent thrn the calculation changes....

Except Corbyn is not committed to soft Brexit but is committed to leaving the single market and ending free movement while today's Yougov has a 2% swing from Labour to LD since GE17 while the Tories are unchanged
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    edited July 2018
    If Andrew Neil is saying the choice for Brexiteers is a bad deal or no Brexit, we really are approaching crunch time.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Only at the Guardian would a man who gets paid to watch cricket complain that he can’t watch football instead.

I’d imagine a lot of cricket fans who don’t care about football would be happy to be at Old Trafford, along with the prawn sandwich brigade *waves at Mr Eagles*
    Personaly I'd much prefer to watch cricket, but a proper game.

Anyway, in my considerable experience of watching cricket most watchers are interested in both. Indeed, the loudest cheer at a recent Essex game when the news came through that Germany were out!
    To be fair, it wasn't the liveliest of days.
  • Options

If Andrew Neil is saying the choice for Brexiteers is a bad deal or no Brexit, we really are approaching crunch time.

Finally, maybe we seem to be getting to the point where May grows a spine and tells the nutters to FO and see if they can bring down the government.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

Perhaps it is finally sinking in that no deal is and was never an option
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    edited July 2018

Not before time , one more fudge this Friday , then we are nearly there.
  • Options

I suspect that if Mrs May presents that choice, she might not last past the weekend.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Hopefully
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

RobD said:

RobD said:

Thanks to a PB'ers past recommendation, I have DK Brown's excellent 'Warrior to Dreadnought' and 'Before the Ironclad' on my bookshelves ...

Oh, and we got married on HMS Warrior. So yes, I have heard of Dreadnoughts and many of the ships around that period. I'm not quite sure what point you were trying to make, though ... ;)
    You've outdone me - I merely proposed on HMS Warrior! Wonderful ship, and a fantastic wedding venue :).
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I suspect that if Mrs May presents that choice, she might not last past the weekend.
    Getting rid of May won’t change the parliamentary arithmetic
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Except Corbyn is not committed to soft Brexit but is committed to leaving the single market and ending free movement while today's Yougov has a 2% swing from Labour to LD since GE17 while the Tories are unchanged
    Corbyn doesn't have a clear position on freedom of movement, and doesnt have much of a position on the single market either tbh. But crucially he isn't constrained by May's red lines.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Nor will it change the options on offer for the country.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Getting rid of May will not change anything. The momemtum is to a soft Brexit and hopefully soon
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Sandpit said:

You suspect wrongly.

May is going nowhere.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Anyway, in my considerable experience of watching cricket most watchers are interested in both. Indeed, the loudest cheer at a recent Essex game when the news came through that Germany were out!
    Very true, sports fans are sports fans. I recall one year watching the Wimbledon final on a big screen at Silverstone after the Grand Prix finished! It’s not particularly unusual at this time of year for major events to overlap, the main reason that F1 are doing three races in a row this year is to avoid a clash with the WC final.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

and Boris and DD out of the Cabinet as a bonus!! :lol:
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Neil gets 500 penalty points for using the 'word' simples.

Otherwise, an interesting tweet.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Very true, sports fans are sports fans. I recall one year watching the Wimbledon final on a big screen at Silverstone after the Grand Prix finished! It’s not particularly unusual at this time of year for major events to overlap, the main reason that F1 are doing three races in a row this year is to avoid a clash with the WC final.
    Old Trafford's full, but not, in spite of Bumble, rammed. And a lot are Indian supporters, who might be expected to prefer cricket to football.
    And there are OKC family issues about three Fi's on the trot.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,534
    TOPPING said:

I wouldn’t necessarily have a problem with that proposal to move us on. I expected a compromise along those lines.

The risk May runs is that both the ERG and the EU Commission reject it. There are ultra-ideologues on both sides who both overestimate the strength of their hand and brook no compromise.

It’s the Governments of the 27 and the UK who will solve this.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Anazina said:

Sandpit said:

You suspect wrongly.

May is going nowhere.
    Totally agree their bluff will be called at last.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

No excuses. Staging an England cricket match when England could be playing in a Round of 16 World Cup match (one of just two possible slots, the other being yesterday evening) is incompetence of the highest order. Utterly stupid by the ECB.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Anazina said:

Sandpit said:

You suspect wrongly.

May is going nowhere.
    Totally agree their bluff will be called at last.
    Now is the time for TM to go for it
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Getting rid of May will not change anything. The momemtum is to a soft Brexit and hopefully soon
    No Brexit is better than a Bad Brexit
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,793

RobD said:

RobD said:

I would recommend this one in a similar vein

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004MW5FY8/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1530635939&sr=8-1#productDescription_secondary_view_div_1530635911763

And

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Command-Ocean-History-Britain-1649-1815/dp/0141026901&ved=2ahUKEwiX4ouJsIPcAhVQYlAKHePKDLcQFjAAegQIABAB&usg=AOvVaw3_C9RGbqTLWSCf8JrtKijF

Both excellent works that gave me insight into RN history.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

I do not see a no Brexit
  • Options

Sandpit said:

I do not see a no Brexit
    Why not? If we can achieve consensus that the deal that's achievable is a bad deal, it would be collective insanity not to use that moment to step back and rethink where we're going.
This discussion has been closed.