Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Betfair punters are right the Republicans are set to hold o

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    daodao said:

It is not in the interest of the EU to relent or compromise on its core values, including the "four freedoms". The UK can't cherry pick - hasn't T May learnt anything.

If BINO is unccetable, the cleanest solution is no deal, with WTO terms initially, as a starting point. It will be painful, particularly for the UK, but that is the price of freedom from being run by Berlin/Brussels. Trading and other agreements can then be rebuilt gradually with the EU where both sides want one, but this will take a long time, as there will be an atmosphere of mutual hostility for many years to come. Brexit is effectively a declaration of war (in a non-combatant sense) by the UK against the EU.
    well lets see what happens on border controls in Austria and Italy
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,358

daodao said:

It is not in the interest of the EU to relent or compromise on its core values, including the "four freedoms". The UK can't cherry pick - hasn't T May learnt anything.

If BINO is unccetable, the cleanest solution is no deal, with WTO terms initially, as a starting point. It will be painful, particularly for the UK, but that is the price of freedom from being run by Berlin/Brussels. Trading and other agreements can then be rebuilt gradually with the EU where both sides want one, but this will take a long time, as there will be an atmosphere of mutual hostility for many years to come. Brexit is effectively a declaration of war (in a non-combatant sense) by the UK against the EU.
    And the German - Austrian border after Merkel's fudge
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

A system which allows a party 6.4% behind to win barely qualifies as democratic at all. That is the equivalent of Ed Miliband having become PM in 2015 instead of Cameron. I am really not sure that such a “victory” would do Trump much good in the long run.

This is what happens when you let the polticians draw their own districts. The US system is insane.
    ISTR that only half a dozen states have something that we might recognise as an independent Electoral Commission working on boundaries. The rest have either a ‘bipartisan committee’ which stitches up safe seats for R and D, or the incumbent party can just draw their own lines on the map. As you say, insane.
    My favourite are the "bi partisan committees" that have all the members bar a token 1 or 2 places appointmented by the governor or some such.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    daodao said:

It is not a price worth paying, and the public will enforce this once they see the implications.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I thought it was the position of the nut-nuts that MPs shouldn't be controlling the negotiations with the EU?

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1014052300976017408
  • Options
    edited July 2018

daodao said:

It is not a price worth paying, and the public will enforce this once they see the implications.
    I am in the softer Brexit camp but do not underestimate the anger of the Country if they come to the conclusion the EU are responsible for the breakdown in negotiations
  • Options
    DavidL said:

"This cycle’s special elections still imply a Democratic wave of historic proportions, while the generic ballot polling still points to a close race for House control. Lots of uncertainty remains, and you should be prepared for either outcome."

Helpful!
    At this point in 2010 Dems were possibly even ahead in the generic ballot but special elections pointed to a red wave. Dems only cratered in the generic ballot quite late in the year.

In October health insurance premiums come due and Trump has been crowing about dismantling Obamacare with the tax bill they passed.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

A system which allows a party 6.4% behind to win barely qualifies as democratic at all. That is the equivalent of Ed Miliband having become PM in 2015 instead of Cameron. I am really not sure that such a “victory” would do Trump much good in the long run.

And the Senate is barely more democratic than our own House of Lords in terms of representation -California, having a population greater than the combined 20 smallest states, and the same number of Senators as the smallest.
    And of course the Senate wields far greater powers.
    I can see the argument for federalism requiring some sort of equalisation but the differences now are vastly greater than the drafters of the Constitution could ever have contemplated. Once again it is simply undemocratic. Similar problems and defects in the Constitution were a major cause of the Civil War.
    The fact that the South was heavily over-represented in the Senate, the courts, the army and the one national party was the reason they seceded?

It's a view I suppose...
    No, the fact that that hegemony was being challenged by the new Republican party and was not going to be sustainable caused them to secede. As the north grew more populous and successful Congress was slipping away, the Presidency (with the right to nominate SC Justices) was falling out of reach and the Missouri compromise was under threat. The collapse of "national" parties, where the south did indeed have disproportionate influence, was along with the election of a Republican President, the final straws.
    But those are hardly flaws in the Constitution, which was heavily biased towards the South.
    The south had exploited the flaws in the Constitution in the same was as the Republican party (ironically) is doing so now. This, as now, had allowed a minority disproportionate power. If the Constitution had been fit for purpose this would not have arisen in the first place and the tensions that resulted would not have led to secession.
    The constitution as written was designed to give the South outsized power. The whole thing is a compromise over slavery.

They didn't sneakily take advantage of unforseen flaws. That was its intentional design.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

I thought it was the position of the nut-nuts that MPs shouldn't be controlling the negotiations with the EU?

MPs can lobby for what they want without it being controlling the negotiations. Nobody has suggested here that Andrea Jenkyns et al are controlling the negotiations, they're setting out their position. The government is free to listen or not. The government is free to compromise on one issue to gain on another if that's what it wants to do.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047

Off-topic:

I hadn't realised that British divers found that Thai football team in the cave. Would they be suitable candidates for the George Cross, and their support team for other honours?

Not the GC but maybe an OBE apiece -- and even that would be down to news value. This is not their first time, and how often do we hand out gongs to (say) mountain rescue teams?

The Thai government is more likely to lavish honours on them.
    The Thai’s are likely to be make a big fuss of them, but there’ll also be a fuss for the Thais involved. In particular I would expect the Governor to come in for something good.

As you would expect, it’s been big, big news in the Kingdom; gather my Thia daughter-in-law’s been glued to the TV.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

They will just have to get over themselves then

And why are the names blanked out
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Off-topic:

I hadn't realised that British divers found that Thai football team in the cave. Would they be suitable candidates for the George Cross, and their support team for other honours?

From what we’ve heard so far, that doesn’t sound unreasonable.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited July 2018

Off-topic:

Not the GC but maybe an OBE apiece -- and even that would be down to news value. This is not their first time, and how often do we hand out gongs to (say) mountain rescue teams?

They did magnificently but they were the spearhead of a huge effort. The Thai participants in particular were apparently relentless.

And yes Grand Order of Thailands all round, although the challenge now of course is when and how to extract them.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1014056531719946241
  • Options

daodao said:

Why? As has often been pointed out here, freedom of movement means the freedom of EU nationals to settle in other EU countries, not lack of border controls.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

It cannot be sustained. In the end, the majority wins or the minority resorts to repression to ensure its ongoing dominance. With widescale voter suppression we are already beginning to see the latter. I wonder how long it will be before secessionist movements begin to gain some traction in certain states.

Unlikely.
    Instead I think we might see widespread civil disobedience similar to that of the 1960s.

It will swing back eventually - Democrats are beginning to better compete in State elections - but it will likely be a long hard slog.

Yep, I guess you’re right. There was a lot of violence that accompanied the civil disobedience of the 1960s. It’s not hard to imagine that, too. Basically, the US is in a very bad way. It’s going to get worse before it gets better. I used to go there for work four or five times a year; now I do all I can to avoid it. Sometimes that’s not possible, but I have managed to cutback big time.

I thought you had a really successful event in LA recently?

San Francisco. That was one of the times I could not avoid a visit!

But a week there was more than enough to show just what a pitiless place the US can be: downtown in one of the richest places on earth and everywhere you look there are barefooted, filth-encrusted homeless people, many with clearly severe mental health problems, shuffling around living existences unimaginable in any part of Europe. Having seen that, it came as no surprise to learn of the forced separations of families on the Mexican border.

This may be a dumb question, but given California - and San Francisco in particular - is considered to be one of the more enlightened parts of the USA, can they not sort out their own problems?
    Neither Democrats nor Republicans are much interested in the poor.
    Is it not also the case that a lot of California’s poor are illegal immigrants?
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Jonathan said:

You’d have to be mad and egotistical to want to be PM in the immediate post Brexit aftermath.

It’s a crowded field.

Wondering if Mrs Gove would be happy with no11.

Nope, she's already measured the curtains in no 10.....
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727

Charles said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

It cannot be sustained. In the end, the majority wins or the minority resorts to repression to ensure its ongoing dominance. With widescale voter suppression we are already beginning to see the latter. I wonder how long it will be before secessionist movements begin to gain some traction in certain states.

Unlikely.
    Instead I think we might see widespread civil disobedience similar to that of the 1960s.

It will swing back eventually - Democrats are beginning to better compete in State elections - but it will likely be a long hard slog.

Yep, I guess you’re right. There was a lot of violence that accomphave managed to cutback big time.

San Francisco. That wason the Mexican border.

Out of interest - and trying to avoid “iour”)?

It’s also worth noting that forced separation happened under Obama as well but the media didn’t care then...
    It was exceptionally rare under Obama rather than being routine. Don’t pretend the situations are equivalent.
    Hard to see how they are not. 90,000 children separated from their parents under Obama

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-07-01/fact-check-did-obama-detain-90000-children-border
    I must admit that a zerohedge 'factcheck' is quite amusing!

From another angle:
    https://www.vox.com/2018/6/21/17488458/obama-immigration-policy-family-separation-border
    Quite.
    "Zero Hedge's content has been classified as "alt-right",[2] anti-establishment, conspiratorial, and economically pessimistic,[3][4] and has been criticized for presenting extreme and sometimes pro-Russian views."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_Hedge
    I often read the guardian or the new statesman, do you only read articles which tell you are right all the time ?

What have your reading habits got to do with anything?
    In answer to your question - No.
    Do you disagree with Wikipedia on Zero Hedge's stance?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

And the Senate is barely more democratic than our own House of Lords in terms of representation -California, having a population greater than the combined 20 smallest states, and the same number of Senators as the smallest.
    And of course the Senate wields far greater powers.
    I can see the argument for federalism requiring some sort of equalisation but the differences now are vastly greater than the drafters of the Constitution could ever have contemplated. Once again it is simply undemocratic. Similar problems and defects in the Constitution were a major cause of the Civil War.
    The fact that the South was heavily over-represented in the Senate, the courts, the army and the one national party was the reason they seceded?

It's a view I suppose...
    No, the fact that that hegemony was being challenged by the new Republican party and was not going to be sustainable caused them to secede. As the north grew more populous and successful Congress was slipping away, the Presidency (with the right to nominate SC Justices) was falling out of reach and the Missouri compromise was under threat. The collapse of "national" parties, where the south did indeed have disproportionate influence, was along with the election of a Republican President, the final straws.
    But those are hardly flaws in the Constitution, which was heavily biased towards the South.
    The south had exploited the flaws in the Constitution in the same was as the Republican party (ironically) is doing so now. This, as now, had allowed a minority disproportionate power. If the Constitution had been fit for purpose this would not have arisen in the first place and the tensions that resulted would not have led to secession.
    The constitution as written was designed to give the South outsized power. The whole thing is a compromise over slavery.

They didn't sneakily take advantage of unforseen flaws. That was its intentional design.
    Is that right? The majority of the 13 original colonies were in the North. While the then most populous state which had its powers curtailed by the way the Senate is elected was southern Virginia.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    HYUFD said:

There is very little evidence for this claim at all, indeed the last seat by seat breakdown for the House of Representatives in November had the Democrats ahead and almost every President loses significant numbers of seats in their first midterms, with the exception being George W Bush in 2001 because of 9/11. In fact in 2006 the last time the Democrats took the House they gained a more than 30 seat majority with an 8% lead, not much different to this poll.

And in 2010 Reps then went and severely gerrymandered congressional districts to stop that happening again.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

They're probably all Grant Shapps' aliases
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,130
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

There is very little evidence for this claim at all, indeed the last seat by seat breakdown for the House of Representatives in November had the Democrats ahead and almost every President loses significant numbers of seats in their first midterms, with the exception being George W Bush in 2001 because of 9/11. In fact in 2006 the last time the Democrats took the House they gained a more than 30 seat majority with an 8% lead, not much different to this poll.

And in 2010 Reps then went and severely gerrymandered congressional districts to stop that happening again.
    Gerrymandering only helps really when you lose by a point or two, in wave years it can make more of your districts vulnerable
  • Options

MPs can lobby for what they want without it being controlling the negotiations. Nobody has suggested here that Andrea Jenkyns et al are controlling the negotiations, they're setting out their position. The government is free to listen or not. The government is free to compromise on one issue to gain on another if that's what it wants to do.
    "we will not accept..."
  • Options

"we will not accept..."
    Too bad then
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Is that right? The majority of the 13 original colonies were in the North. While the then most populous state which had its powers curtailed by the way the Senate is elected was southern Virginia.

Sorry, I should have said major slave holding rather than 'South'. The counting of slaves as 3/5th human for the purposes of apportioning congressional representatives and electoral votes is the first key compromise to keep the slave holding states in the union
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Gerrymandering only helps really when you lose by a point or two, in wave years it can make more of your districts vulnerable
    "A point or two" is overstating the case. It depends what the gerrymanderers have optimized for, but normally they'll try to accommodate a bigger swing than that.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

Off-topic:

I respect and admire what the various mountain rescue teams around the country do - and the volunteers deserve more attention and reward (as in fairness the RNLI do get).

However I'd argue that what those men did - although part of a much larger team - is much more 'heroic'. I've done a very small amount of scuba diving, and doing that in caves, with the added pressure of having to do it in a rescue situation, is frankly heroic. They put their lives on the line to save others. And that deserves recognition IMO.

(There's a small chance that they might be military, and therefore may not want publicity.)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Am I reading this right

A 5% conservative lead in this chaos.

Time for labour to get a decent leader
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Jonathan said:

You’d have to be mad and egotistical to want to be PM in the immediate post Brexit aftermath.

It’s a crowded field.

Wondering if Mrs Gove would be happy with no11.

Nope, she's already measured the curtains in no 10.....
    Twice, I suspect!
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Am I reading this right

Just imagine what the lead for the Tories would be if they had a decent leader.. .
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    daodao said:

Brexit is effectively a declaration of war (in a non-combatant sense) by the UK against the EU.
    Rather OTT wouldn't you say? In some ways the EU position on Ireland is really a pretty belligerent one but then you remember that that is merely the price of a deal. I'm sure they wouldn't try to 'enforce' an open border in the event of no deal.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Scott_P said:
    Am I reading this right

Just imagine what the lead for the Tories would be if they had a decent leader.. .
    Even on those figures a majority conservative government of 12 (electoral calculas)
  • Options

Off-topic:

I respect and admire what the various mountain rescue teams around the country do - and the volunteers deserve more attention and reward (as in fairness the RNLI do get).

However I'd argue that what those men did - although part of a much larger team - is much more 'heroic'. I've done a very small amount of scuba diving, and doing that in caves, with the added pressure of having to do it in a rescue situation, is frankly heroic. They put their lives on the line to save others. And that deserves recognition IMO.

(There's a small chance that they might be military, and therefore may not want publicity.)
    ThaiVisa, an English-language digest of Thai News, aimed at the expat community says

'As Thailand wakes up to the incredible news of the rescue of 12 young footballers and their coach who had been trapped deep underground in the Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai, more information has been revealed of the British divers who have been credited with finding the group.

British divers John Volanthen, Robert Harper and Richard Stanton have been hailed as heroes by the Thai media.'
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

The final Conservative Home next Tory leader runoff poll of Tory members confirms Javid's position as the new favourite to succeed May as he leads Gove 45% to 43%.

However the fact the margin between the two frontrunners is so close compared to their much bigger respective margins over Johnson and Hunt suggests both Javid and Gove are now the clear frontrunners in the next Tory leader stakes.

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2018/07/our-surveys-final-next-tory-leader-run-off-javid-45-per-cent-gove-43-per-cent.html

Also suggests that a Javid/Gove dream team is going to be unstoppable should it come about.
    Javid PM and Gove as Chancellor would be the ideal combination
    I'm starting to feel nauseous.....
    It would change the political climate and Corbyn would come under attack from good communicators in a complete change from TM's difficulty in expressing herself
    Yesterday I heard Len McClusky being interviewed by Sarah Montague on the World at One. A more boorish misogynist is difficult to imagine. Hearing him heap praise on corbyn while making clear that his buddy would be in his top pocket was vaguely repulsive.

In fact the thought that this bullying oaf would be anywhere near the leavers of power under a Corbyn administration was terrifying. A dystopian vision that was only partially cleared by the delightful Aberdonian seascape. I daydreamed that for the first time in my life I might vote Tory.......

Fortunately the word GOVE and PM in the same sentence woke me up with a jolt.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371

Sometimes, because I’m an old softy at heart, I feel a tad sorry for Mrs May. Herding cats would be easier than coralling this lot.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Sorry, I should have said major slave holding rather than 'South'. The counting of slaves as 3/5th human for the purposes of apportioning congressional representatives and electoral votes is the first key compromise to keep the slave holding states in the union
    But even at the founding of the union there was a clear anti-prohibition slavery split. A scanty few years later psot revolution you could split the nation into a slavery south and a free north that we would recognise today.
  • Options

Off-topic:

The cave rescue situation is still far far from over, the trapped boys have basically got to be taken from lads who have never dived before to cave diving standard - which is risky for even the most experienced of scuba divers.
    Getting them all out is a long slow road ahead.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    HYUFD said:

The final Conservative Home next Tory leader runoff poll of Tory members confirms Javid's position as the new favourite to succeed May as he leads Gove 45% to 43%.

However the fact the margin between the two frontrunners is so close compared to their much bigger respective margins over Johnson and Hunt suggests both Javid and Gove are now the clear frontrunners in the next Tory leader stakes.

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2018/07/our-surveys-final-next-tory-leader-run-off-javid-45-per-cent-gove-43-per-cent.html

Sigh, an interesting and, in the main, non-partisan, on-topic debate about the US midterms is finally interrupted.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Also suggests that a Javid/Gove dream team is going to be unstoppable should it come about.
    It would change the political climate and Corbyn would come under attack from good communicators in a complete change from TM's difficulty in expressing herself
    Yesterday I heard Len McClusky being interviewed by Sarah Montague on the World at One. A more boorish misogynist is difficult to imagine. Hearing him heap praise on corbyn while making clear that his buddy would be in his top pocket was vaguely repulsive.

In fact the thought that this bullying oaf would be anywhere near the leavers of power under a Corbyn administration was terrifying. A dystopian vision that was only partially cleared by the delightful Aberdonian seascape. I daydreamed that for the first time in my life I might vote Tory.......

Yes but there is a glimmer of hope that you may yet get there !!!!!
  • Options
    Why are the MPs names blacked out but Jenkins isn't ?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/YouGov/status/1014060713780924416

How far ahead would the tories be with a slightly more likable and competent leader?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sometimes, because I’m an old softy at heart, I feel a tad sorry for Mrs May. Herding cats would be easier than coralling this lot.
    There seems to be a growing acceptance that she doing as good as anyone could in the circumstances
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Pulpstar said:

Why are the MPs names blacked out but Jenkins isn't ?

No. 10 targeting her?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Off-topic:

They did magnificently but they were the spearhead of a huge effort. The Thai participants in particular were apparently relentless.

And yes Grand Order of Thailands all round, although the challenge now of course is when and how to extract them.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1014056531719946241
    I agree with that tweet. It shouldn't 'just' be the guys who found them - and in fact I did say as much. However the symbolism is important, and many recipients of the VC, GC and other awards will have had people tirelessly helping them behind the scenes.

It's going to be interesting to see how they get them out.

On another point: I suppose there are two distinct types of heroism: one is where you get placed in a situation and have a few seconds to act, and when you do act, it is in a selfless, brave manner - e.g.. a passer-by running into a burning building to rescue someone.

Then there is another type of heroism: one where you have time to look at the situation, calculate the risks as best you can, and then acting in a selfless, brave manner - e.g. a firefighter going into a risky fire, or these lads in Thailand.
  • Options

DavidL said:

There seems to be a growing acceptance that she doing as good as anyone could in the circumstances
    Except the circumstances are her fault.

It's her fault she has no majority. It's her fault she's already thrown away the option of calling an early election against Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    Ed Miliband is to return as a stand-in host of BBC Radio 2’s Jeremy Vine show, as part of his continued push into the world of broadcasting.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/03/ed-miliband-return-stand-in-host-jeremy-vine-show-bbc-radio-2
  • Options

Ed Miliband is to return as a stand-in host of BBC Radio 2’s Jeremy Vine show, as part of his continued push into the world of broadcasting.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/03/ed-miliband-return-stand-in-host-jeremy-vine-show-bbc-radio-2

"Impartial" BBC.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Off-topic:

The cave rescue situation is still far far from over, the trapped boys have basically got to be taken from lads who have never dived before to cave diving standard - which is risky for even the most experienced of scuba divers.
    Indeed, although I hope they don't have to dive, and they manage to lower the water levels (perhaps by driving an adit rather than pumping?) so they can 'walk' out.

Although in this discussion, I have absolutely no idea how difficult it is to get to where they are: e.g. how many narrow squeezes there are - although as they managed to get there in the first place, it is probably not too difficult, at least in the dry.
  • Options

"we will not accept..."
    Yes it's lobbying. Clark, Soubry at al can do the same.

But that's different to statute controlling the government.
  • Options

Charles said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

It cannot be sustained. In the end, the majority wins or the m

Unlikely.

Yep, I guess y cutback big time.

San Francisco. That wason the Mexican border.

Out of interest - and trying to avoid “iour”)?

It’s also worth noting that forced separation happened under Obama as well but the media didn’t care then...
    It was exceptionally rare under Obama rather than being routine. Don’t pretend the situations are equivalent.
    Hard to see hoparents under Obama

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-07-01/fact-check-did-obama-detain-90000-children-border
    I must admit that a zerohedge 'factcheck' is quite amusing!

From another angle:
    https://www.vox.com/2018/6/21/17488458/obama-immigration-policy-family-separation-border
    Quite.
    "Zero Hedge's content has been classified as "alt-right",[2] anti-establishment, conspiratorial, and economically pessimistic,[3][4] and has been criticized for presenting extreme and sometimes pro-Russian views."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_Hedge
    I often read the guaryou are right all the time ?

What have your reading habits got to do with anything?
    In answer to your question - No.
    Do you disagree with Wikipedia on Zero Hedge's stance?
    quite a lot I read across the spectrum, more than you it appears

as for ZH they have a right wing stance, that doesn't mean they are wrong about everything any more than the HuffPo is wrong about everything, just that theyre pushing a view and you can make your mind up.

• Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

"leavers of power" ?

Sounds a bit like Brexiteer's are taking over ... ;)
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

"leavers of power" ?

Well Corbyn is one ...
  • Options

OchEye said:

Scott_P said:
    Am I reading this right

Even on those figures a majority conservative government of 12 (electoral calculas)
    The recent "positive" publicity of TMay has given the public the impression that she is actually leading the party. As many commentators here know, she can't lead her way out of a wet paper bag, and which ever side of the argument you stand on, we are all watching the slow disintegration of the Tories with open mouthed amazement.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. Max, Jenkyns has been very overt about such things.

https://twitter.com/andreajenkyns/status/1013210616545177600
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130

Presumably not because they’re afraid the tabloids will call them traitors and saboteurs.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,128

Has he considered a continued push into improving the well being of Doncaster North ?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

She's the only fire hydrant in a street with 316 dogs.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,914

DavidL said:

Except the circumstances are her fault.

It's her fault she has no majority. It's her fault she's already thrown away the option of calling an early election against Jeremy Corbyn.
    She also set out poor red lines, especially on ecj and should have abandoned the immigration target for something easier to achieve and more in tune with public frustrations. I think several in the current tory crop would be doing better, in the sense that they would be achieving more of what they set out to do.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Re latest YG - yet more evidence that the hacks and bloggers have no clue.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    MaxPB said:

"Impartial" BBC.
    Miliband is splitting the week with the ex-Conservative leader Michael Howard.

Your bias betrays you.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,128
    PB anecdotes proved right again as the Construction PMI reaches the highest for a year:

' June data revealed a solid expansion of overall construction activity, underpinned by greater residential work and a faster upturn in commercial building. There were also positive signs regarding the near-term outlook for growth, as signalled by the strongest rise in new orders since May 2017 and the largest upturn in input buying for two-and-a-half years. '

https://www.markiteconomics.com/Survey/PressRelease.mvc/19a12ac51497443f97d9e8745d8ceb82
  • Options

MaxPB said:

"Impartial" BBC.

Your bias betrays you.
    Sitting Labour MP vs Tory hasbeen.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    felix said:

Nah. It looks like another outlier.

I remember last month some got excited by a 7% Tory lead that reverted back to a small Tory lead the next week.
  • Options
    I called this months ago.

Theresa May and European Union leaders backed plans at a late night Brussels summit to keep British MEPs in the European Parliament if Brexit is delayed past the March 29 2019 deadline, The Telegraph can reveal.

The revelations risk destabilising an already divided Cabinet ahead of a crunch Chequers meeting on Friday to hammer out a British Brexit vision. At a Conservative fundraiser on Monday, Mrs May issued a desperate pleas for unity.

https://twitter.com/jamescrisp6/status/1014064272568213505?s=21

https://twitter.com/jamescrisp6/status/1014064856620785664?s=21
  • Options

MaxPB said:

"Impartial" BBC.

Your bias betrays you.
    I do have concerns with sitting MPs of any party getting regular slots on national TV and radio, as they cannot expect to be impartial and it will be very hard to 'balance' the output.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Off-topic:

Indeed, although I hope they don't have to dive, and they manage to lower the water levels (perhaps by driving an adit rather than pumping?) so they can 'walk' out.

Although in this discussion, I have absolutely no idea how difficult it is to get to where they are: e.g. how many narrow squeezes there are - although as they managed to get there in the first place, it is probably not too difficult, at least in the dry.
    Forecast (Accuwether) for the area is ‘a thunderstorm or two’. Which does mean a LOT of rain!
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

"leavers of power" ?

My spelling's all over the place. Yesterday I wrote an importtant email in a hurry and as it was sending I realised I'd written 'laytest' instead of 'latest'. An error so bad that it goes beyond a mere spelling mistake. I couldn't decide whether to immediately email a correction which seemed a bit over sensitive or whether to leave it and know that a potential client would think me a moron
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

"Impartial" BBC.

Your bias betrays you.
    Sitting Labour MP vs Tory hasbeen.
    Is that a description of BBC's This Week?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, to be fair, most did just see that as an outlier.

Currently reading a quartet of plays by Euripides. Hecabe is rather good as a lesson in the capriciousness of fortune, and warning against hubris or complacency. Let maidens play with your spear and all manner of woe can ensue.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

"Impartial" BBC.
    To be fair to the BBC, the last time Vine took a holiday, not only Miliband took over the microphone for a week, but IDS took over the next week. Unfortunately, the Beeb had more problems trying to control the phone ins and having negative feedback with the Quiet One!
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

"leavers of power" ?

My spelling's all over the place. Yesterday I wrote an importtant email in a hurry and as it was sending I realised I'd written 'laytest' instead of 'latest'. An error so bad that it goes beyond a mere spelling mistake. I couldn't decide whether to immediately email a correction which seemed a bit over sensitive or whether to leave it and know that a potential client would think me a moron
    lay test ?

you've gone all Harvey Weinstein Roger
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

"leavers of power" ?

It’s called FFS. Happens as you get older. And there’s only two ’t’s’ in important, not three!

LOL!!!!!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

felix said:

I remember last month some got excited by a 7% Tory lead that reverted back to a small Tory lead the next week.
    Does that not suggest that the small lead was the outlier?
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, to be fair, most did just see that as an outlier.

Currently reading a quartet of plays by Euripides. Hecabe is rather good as a lesson in the capriciousness of fortune, and warning against hubris or complacency. Let maidens play with your spear and all manner of woe can ensue.

SeanT seems happy much of the time!
  • Options

Theresa May and European Union leaders backed plans at a late night Brussels summit to keep British MEPs in the European Parliament if Brexit is delayed past the March 29 2019 deadline, The Telegraph can reveal.

The revelations risk destabilising an already divided Cabinet ahead of a crunch Chequers meeting on Friday to hammer out a British Brexit vision. At a Conservative fundraiser on Monday, Mrs May issued a desperate pleas for unity.

The noses have it.......
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

MaxPB said:

"Impartial" BBC.

Your bias betrays you.
    I do have concerns with sitting MPs of any party getting regular slots on national TV and radio, as they cannot expect to be impartial and it will be very hard to 'balance' the output.
    It rightly wouldn't be allowed in an election period.

Outside of that I think that anything which helps politicians to be in closer contact with the wider public is a good thing.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    OchEye said:

MaxPB said:

"Impartial" BBC.
    To be fair to the BBC, the last time Vine took a holiday, not only Miliband took over the microphone for a week, but IDS took over the next week. Unfortunately, the Beeb had more problems trying to control the phone ins and having negative feedback with the Quiet One!
    Miliband, IDS, howard....Jesus wept....there has to be some better guest hosts available...
  • Options
    OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Scott_P said:
    Am I reading this right

The recent "positive" publicity of TMay has given the public the impression that she is actually leading the party. As many commentators here know, she can't lead her way out of a wet paper bag, and which ever side of the argument you stand on, we are all watching the slow disintegration of the Tories with open mouthed amazement.
    Indeed I start to wonder if this is our 1789. Of course the short term effect of that wasn't entirely pleasant.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

felix said:

Does that not suggest that the small lead was the outlier?
    Not yet.

The general trend of polls is a small Tory lead. So you’d expect to see the occasional poll with a slightly larger Tory lead and a rarer Labour lead.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    felix said:

repeat after me - Jeremy Corbyn is bad at day to day politics.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

Would we have to hold elections for these MEPs who might only be in office for weeks - or more sensibly keep the existing MEPs in post? All hypothetical of course!
  • Options
    King Cole, yes, but Mr. T earnt his fortune by being a successful author, rather than murdering a young lad sent to him for protection, and then nicking said child's money.
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

"leavers of power" ?

It’s called FFS. Happens as you get older. And there’s only two ’t’s’ in important, not three!

LOL!!!!!
    Thanks but that was just a slip of the hand!
  • Options
    I think low 30s is more than possible within 12 months for the Labour clown car.

They have three or four easy losses plus an dangerous inability to keep their mouths shut.
  • Options
    Seriously, take Angela Rayner. Her jaw just hangs open, like some domesticated ungulate, at the end of every sentence.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,966
    felix said:

Most hacks and bloggers recognise that Jeremy Corbyn is the best friend the Conservative party has. don't they? Always worth remembering that FPTP encourages negative voting and in a battle between two very bad choices the one that gives every impression of disliking the UK is always going to lose out to the one who doesn't.

• Options

OchEye said:

MaxPB said:

"Impartial" BBC.
    Miliband, IDS, howard....Jesus wept....there has to be some better guest hosts available...
    The BBC is very wary of big salaries now - particularly for men. You're probably not looking at a Portillo salary.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Actually, if we take part in the next round of European elections it will give an idea of whether or not we still want to leave.
    Just imagine the effect of a wipe-out of UKIP and their replacement by LD Remainers!

(Edited to remove effect of FFS!)
  • Options

I think low 30s is more than possible within 12 months for the Labour clown car.

They have three or four easy losses plus an dangerous inability to keep their mouths shut.

If Labour's poll rating drifts down, I'd expect the Conservatives' poll rating to drift down too. Fear of Jeremy Corbyn is keeping some voters on board. If they conclude he's not a threat, those voters will consider other options.
  • Options
    I've laid a GOP majority at 1.99 on Betfair, they've been spanked in special elections thus far.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

King Cole, yes, but Mr. T earnt his fortune by being a successful author, rather than murdering a young lad sent to him for protection, and then nicking said child's money.

Er...........

I gather that’s something to do with the play!
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

"leavers of power" ?

When I was working, I had a policy of not sending an email immediately, even if it was urgent. I would type, save it as a draft, and move onto something else for a while. Then I would go back, proofread it, and send it.

I'd often pick up problems, some of them embarrassing. Worse were the times I'd do this and still end up sending emails with mistakes!

(It was also surprising how often I'd realise I'd written the email in the wrong tone, or even that the email wasn't really necessary.)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Wow - I agree with Anna for a change
  • Options
    King Cole, yes.

I considered a spoiler alert, but the play's nearly two and a half thousand years old...

Mr. Jessop, sometimes I do that, if time isn't an issue.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,252

I'm sure in that instance Farage & his kameraden will stand down as a matter of principle.
  • Options

King Cole, yes.

I considered a spoiler alert, but the play's nearly two and a half thousand years old...

Mr. Jessop, sometimes I do that, if time isn't an issue.

Few things can't wait ten minutes. Especially when the recipients end up being in meetings ...

IMO this is one of the biggest problems with things like Twitter - it's too easy to write in haste.
This discussion has been closed.