Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Betfair punters are right the Republicans are set to hold o

13»

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

I called this months ago.

Theresa May and European Union leaders backed plans at a late night Brussels summit to keep British MEPs in the European Parliament if Brexit is delayed past the March 29 2019 deadline, The Telegraph can reveal.

The revelations risk destabilising an already divided Cabinet ahead of a crunch Chequers meeting on Friday to hammer out a British Brexit vision. At a Conservative fundraiser on Monday, Mrs May issued a desperate pleas for unity.

https://twitter.com/jamescrisp6/status/1014064272568213505?s=21

https://twitter.com/jamescrisp6/status/1014064856620785664?s=21

I'm sure in that instance Farage & his kameraden will stand down as a matter of principle.
    Odd principle. They should stand down once we've left, that is their principle.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Roger said:

My spelling's all over the place. Yesterday I wrote an importtant email in a hurry and as it was sending I realised I'd written 'laytest' instead of 'latest'. An error so bad that it goes beyond a mere spelling mistake. I couldn't decide whether to immediately email a correction which seemed a bit over sensitive or whether to leave it and know that a potential client would think me a moron

When I was working, I had a policy of not sending an email immediately, even if it was urgent. I would type, save it as a draft, and move onto something else for a while. Then I would go back, proofread it, and send it.

I'd often pick up problems, some of them embarrassing. Worse were the times I'd do this and still end up sending emails with mistakes!

(It was also surprising how often I'd realise I'd written the email in the wrong tone, or even that the email wasn't really necessary.)
    Good advice. These days there are also apps like Grammarly that check emails, and even just turning on all the MS Office warnings will help.

In the old days, professionals had secretaries to take care of these details. Whether turning every expert into a part-time typist and junior computer operator is efficient rather than just cheap is not clear.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. Jessop, that's a good point.

When doing a final proofread of a book it's often troubling to find so many little errors, given I'll've read some sections about 8 times before.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894

Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

The final Conservative Home next Tory leader runoff poll of Tory members confirms Javid's position as the new favourite to succeed May as he leads Gove 45% to 43%.

However the fact the margin between the two frontrunners is so close compared to their much bigger respective margins over Johnson and Hunt suggests both Javid and Gove are now the clear frontrunners in the next Tory leader stakes.

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2018/07/our-surveys-final-next-tory-leader-run-off-javid-45-per-cent-gove-43-per-cent.html

Also suggests that a Javid/Gove dream team is going to be unstoppable should it come about.
    Javid PM and Gove as Chancellor would be the ideal combination
    I'm starting to feel nauseous.....
    It would change the political climate and Corbyn would come under attack from good communicators in a complete change from TM's difficulty in expressing herself
    Yesterday I heard Len McClusky being interviewed by Sarah Montague on the World at One. A more boorish misogynist is difficult to imagine. Hearing him heap praise on corbyn while making clear that his buddy would be in his top pocket was vaguely repulsive.

In fact the thought that this bullying oaf would be anywhere near the leavers of power under a Corbyn administration was terrifying. A dystopian vision that was only partially cleared by the delightful Aberdonian seascape. I daydreamed that for the first time in my life I might vote Tory.......

Fortunately the word GOVE and PM in the same sentence woke me up with a jolt.
    "leavers of power" ?

Sounds a bit like Brexiteer's are taking over ... ;)
    My spelling's all over the place. Yesterday I wrote an importtant email in a hurry and as it was sending I realised I'd written 'laytest' instead of 'latest'. An error so bad that it goes beyond a mere spelling mistake. I couldn't decide whether to immediately email a correction which seemed a bit over sensitive or whether to leave it and know that a potential client would think me a moron
    lay test ?

you've gone all Harvey Weinstein Roger
    Chance would be a fine thing!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    The spoilt child that is Neymar should take note,

Japan hailed as 'an example for all teams' after leaving dressing room spotlessly clean with a note of thanks in Russian after dramatic World Cup defeat by Belgium

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5912209/Japan-example-teams-leaving-dressing-room-spotless-Belgium-loss.html
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Mr. Jessop, that's a good point.

When doing a final proofread of a book it's often troubling to find so many little errors, given I'll've read some sections about 8 times before.

Proofreading your own work is always harder than proofreading someone else's work.

I always notice the errors in the thread headers I've written immediately after they've been posted up, no matter how many times I've reread them before I send them in.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,252

Theresa May and European Union leaders backed plans at a late night Brussels summit to keep British MEPs in the European Parliament if Brexit is delayed past the March 29 2019 deadline, The Telegraph can reveal.

The revelations risk destabilising an already divided Cabinet ahead of a crunch Chequers meeting on Friday to hammer out a British Brexit vision. At a Conservative fundraiser on Monday, Mrs May issued a desperate pleas for unity.

I'm sure in that instance Farage & his kameraden will stand down as a matter of principle.
    I agree it's odd to associate these people with principle. What self sacrificing, principled act do you think Farage et al should take to highlight the oncoming 'BETRAYAL Brexit'?

'It's BETRAYAL Brexit' Nigel Farage makes BRILLIANT point on fears over a soft-Brexit
    NIGEL FARAGE branded “soft-Brexit” a “betrayal Brexit” during a passionate speech as he discussed the Prime Minister’s upcoming crunch Chequers meeting on Friday with her cabinet.'

https://tinyurl.com/yavn4sd6
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, aye, I've only seen a bit of Brazil this tournament but Neymar's ridiculous rolling around last time has made me root for Belgium against them.

Mr. Meeks, agree entirely. I tend to read aloud as I'm proofreading, which helps (if feeling a bit weird).

When re-reading your own stuff, your brain knows what was meant to be written, so you naturally fill in blanks and can read wrong as right. It's interesting, though, how people make mistakes differently. I recently proofread a sci-fi story and there were no homophonic errors (I make them quite a bit).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

Japan hailed as 'an example for all teams' after leaving dressing room spotlessly clean with a note of thanks in Russian after dramatic World Cup defeat by Belgium

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5912209/Japan-example-teams-leaving-dressing-room-spotless-Belgium-loss.html

If Belgium are 3-0 down by half time or something then hopefully Fellaini can give Neymar a world cup quarter to remember. There's something very intensely dislikeable about Neymar.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, isn't the Swindon account famously biased, though?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Pulpstar said:

If Belgium are 3-0 down by half time or something then hopefully Fellaini can give Neymar a world cup quarter to remember. There's something very intensely dislikeable about Neymar.
    I posted a story here yesterday of how when he broke into the senior club team he threw such a tantrum at not being allowed to take a penalty (after missing a number of previous ones), that the game had to be stopped for several minutes...then after the game, the coach suspended him for 2 weeks, to which he threw an even bigger wobbler threatening never to play again, and ultimately the club president sacked the coach to placate Neymar.

According to Phil Vickery (the bloke on the BBC who has lived in Brazil most of his adult life and know everything about South American football), his whole life, Neymar has been like that.

He doesn't come from street football (like many Brazilians) and at every turn all his outbursts have been excused / he has been sided with because of his talent.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

daodao said:

It is not in the interest of the EU to relent or compromise on its core values, including the "four freedoms". The UK can't cherry pick - hasn't T May learnt anything.

Brexit is effectively a declaration of war (in a non-combatant sense) by the UK against the EU.
    Rather OTT wouldn't you say? In some ways the EU position on Ireland is really a pretty belligerent one but then you remember that that is merely the price of a deal. I'm sure they wouldn't try to 'enforce' an open border in the event of no deal.
    I think the issue is that the EU have a very fixed idea of what a land border looks like, whereas we would be free to set it up as we wished on the British side.

Given the history, I can’t possibly see how Ireland would even think about building a physical border.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,028

I posted a story here yesterday of how when he broke into the senior club team he threw such a tantrum at not being allowed to take a penalty (after missing a number of previous ones), that the game had to be stopped for several minutes...then after the game, the coach suspended him for 2 weeks, to which he threw an even bigger wobbler threatening never to play again, and ultimately the club president sacked the coach to placate Neymar.

It was probably the right decision as coaches are ten a real in Brazil but Neymar is a once in a generation talent.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

Scott_P said:
    Wow - I agree with Anna for a change
    This is the general election that the Tories had a huge lead in until Labour chamged the subject to the NHS and then dementia tax controversy?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

It was probably the right decision as coaches are ten a real in Brazil but Neymar is a once in a generation talent.
    Well last world cup he didn't do it for them and this world cup Coutinho is the Brazil's best player. In fact, I wonder if the fancy dan ball hogger wasn't in the team, if Brazil might have played better overall.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Elliot said:

Scott_P said:
    Wow - I agree with Anna for a change
    This is the general election that the Tories had a huge lead in until Labour chamged the subject to the NHS and then dementia tax controversy?
    The election that ignored Brexit for the last month - because Labour and the Tories seemed to have effectively the same policy on it - and instead discussed austerity, the dementia tax and other issues but was a decisive verdict on Brexit?

It of course was also an election in which the Tories got their highest vote share for 30 years - such are the quirks of our electoral system.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

But we wouldnt have left in this scenario - as the point is we would still be members with an entitlement to MEPs.

I am sure voters would be very impressed at holding elections - costing £100 million plus - in which the victors might only hold office for a few weeks? Surely a temporary term extension for the existing MEPs makes more sense.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited July 2018
    Dura_Ace said:

Whilst not quite to the same level I do remember some player complained (low level whinge rather than a tantrum) to Fergie about Cantona, might have been a couple of things but the bit I remember being mentioned was some end of year awards and the rest of the team turned up in normal suits whereas he turned up in a "technicolour dreamcoat" Ferguson's reply was something along the lines of when you can do what he can...

There is a line somewhere obviously but it is a trade off you make, Ronaldo demands free kicks despite having a terrible conversion rate at times and probably some very good options to replace him as free kick taker, its a problem almost every team would like to have though.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    "A "healthcare professional" has been arrested on suspicion of murdering eight babies and attempting to kill six others at a hospital."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-44696813
  • Options
    PeterMannionPeterMannion Posts: 712

Dura_Ace said:

Well last world cup he didn't do it for them and this world cup Coutinho is the Brazil's best player. In fact, I wonder if the fancy dan ball hogger wasn't in the team, if Brazil might have played better overall.
    Exactly!

Imagine thinking Neymar is a once in a generation talent for Brazil! He's not even a once in a team talent - he's very talented, but he's hardly head and shoulders above others
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

According to Phil Vickery (the bloke on the BBC who has lived in Brazil most of his adult life and know everything about South American football), his whole life, Neymar has been like that.

He doesn't come from street football (like many Brazilians) and at every turn all his outbursts have been excused / he has been sided with because of his talent.
    Maybe one of his opponents will be minded to give him a taste of street football if the blatant hysterionics continue?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Maybe one of his opponents will be minded to give him a taste of street football if the blatant hysterionics continue?
    I can think of a few Uruguay players who would be ideal candidates.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,252
    Luckily there's loads of time to get it sorted though.

https://twitter.com/jillongovt/status/1014076733102977025
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Dura_Ace said:

The teams that are doing best in this World Cup are not the ones with a Big Name Talent. Portugal and Ronaldo have gone home. Agentina and Messi have gone home. The teams that have performed well are those that have been that - a team. It's possible that Kylian Mbappé might turn into a real pain in the arse, but for now France are in the sweet spot - they have the benefit of his undoubted excellence as a team player without the super-sized ego.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    Could Lord Hague be PM?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Dura_Ace said:

The teams that are doing best in this World Cup are not the ones with a Big Name Talent. Portugal and Ronaldo have gone home. Agentina and Messi have gone home. The teams that have performed well are those that have been that - a team. It's possible that Kylian Mbappé might turn into a real pain in the arse, but for now France are in the sweet spot - they have the benefit of his undoubted excellence as a team player without the super-sized ego.
    It is why I loved last nights match. That was team vs team, and especially Japan, played some wonderful attractive passing football.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618

Pulpstar said:

Sounds like football's Max Verstappen!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Could Lord Hague be PM?

No.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Charles said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

A system which allows a party 6.4% behind to win barely qualifies as democratic at all. That is the equivalent of Ed Miliband having become PM in 2015 instead of Cameron. I am really not sure that such a “victory” would do Trump much good in the long run.

And the Senate is barely more democratic than our own House of Lords in terms of representation -California, having a population greater than the combined 20 smallest states, and the same number of Senators as the smallest.
    And of course the Senate wields far greater powers.
    I can see the argument for federalism requiring some sort of equalisation but the differences now are vastly greater than the drafters of the Constitution could ever have contemplated. Once again it is simply undemocratic. Similar problems and defects in the Constitution were a major cause of the Civil War.
    May be there should be a policy that ones stated reach a certain size they should split. So California could be 3 states - with 6 senators - and elected representatives that are closer to the voters rather than just representing LA and SF.
    Funny that you recommend a policy that would splinter the Democratic vote. I’m guessing Texas would conveniently be just below the split threshold?

For me another huge issue with US system is that there are elections to the House every 2 years. This puts everyone in a constant campaign mode with no incentive to consider the long term
    I’ve no idea about Texas. I assume that California would end up 4-2 to the Democrats which would more closely reflect the votes cast than the current 2-0 result
    Contrary to what many appear to believe Texas has not always been a solid Republican state - LBJ and Loyd Bentsen come to mind as does Ann Richards. Demographic change is also now pushing it back towards the Democrats.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Off-topic:

I hadn't realised that British divers found that Thai football team in the cave. Would they be suitable candidates for the George Cross, and their support team for other honours?

Not the GC but maybe an OBE apiece -- and even that would be down to news value. This is not their first time, and how often do we hand out gongs to (say) mountain rescue teams?

The Thai government is more likely to lavish honours on them.
    I respect and admire what the various mountain rescue teams around the country do - and the volunteers deserve more attention and reward (as in fairness the RNLI do get).

However I'd argue that what those men did - although part of a much larger team - is much more 'heroic'. I've done a very small amount of scuba diving, and doing that in caves, with the added pressure of having to do it in a rescue situation, is frankly heroic. They put their lives on the line to save others. And that deserves recognition IMO.

(There's a small chance that they might be military, and therefore may not want publicity.)
    A firefighter and internet engineer, apparently.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    OT Question for our pro-Brexit posters:

Obviously you don't want this, but if it came down to a choice between either BINO or a delay, which may result in something other than BINO but there's no guarantee, which would you prefer?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

Obviously you don't want this, but if it came down to a choice between either BINO or a delay, which may result in something other than BINO but there's no guarantee, which would you prefer?

It depends.

If it is treaty-bound BINO, low orbit vassalage, then a delay (or indeed longer transition to full-fat Brexit).

If it is alignment-based, some variation BINO fudge, then BINO and slow detachment, a la Ireland post 1922.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    ...critics say the scheme is at worst unworkable and at best merely moves the political crisis to another part of the coalition.

The transit centre scheme was proposed in 2015 by a CSU politician, Stephan Mayer, but was rejected in the strongest terms by the Social Democratic party (SPD), then and now a junior partner in Merkel’s grand coalition government.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/03/doubts-raised-over-merkel-compromise-on-border-controls
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

BINO.

It's not ideal and its the worst of all scenarios (worse even than remaining) but it won't be permanent. At the moment the EU has us over a barrel because we're so entwined with them that we don't have our own seats on international bodies such as Aviation etc and our present government has wasted its 2 years doing zero prep for a no deal exit.

We need to exit, get our own house in order, regain our seats on international bodies so we can certify planes, medicines etc and then we can review the BINO status. No Parliament can bind its successor and although it will royally piss off the EU in a few years time we can and should if they force a vassal status on us now say this isn't good enough and walk away again.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

It depends.

If it is treaty-bound BINO, low orbit vassalage, then a delay (or indeed longer transition to full-fat Brexit).

If it is alignment-based, some variation BINO fudge, then BINO and slow detachment, a la Ireland post 1922.
    That sounds reasonable.

A short delay is fine if it works to wards a mutually agreed goal, what isn’t fine is another six months like the last six months of everyone shouting past each other in public, only to be presented with the same choices as we have now.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,028
    Mortimer said:

Why do you assume that will be the direction of travel? We aren't going to have the threadbare psychodrama of several competing tory governments cohabiting in the same administration for ever.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    Dura_Ace said:

Mortimer said:

Why do you assume that will be the direction of travel? We aren't going to have the threadbare psychodrama of several competing tory governments cohabiting in the same administration for ever.
    Amen to that.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies on the BINO vs BRB question
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612

Good question. I would take the delay because I don't believe that any political party will ever re-open the withdrawal agreement, whatever they promise. It will forever be in the too hard basket and the only direction of movement will be re-integration. The issue has to be faced now and a delay will keep the pressure on our so-called leaders to do what they were told.

Gove seems to be the supporter of later divergence (mainly so he doesn't have to resign, as he should) and his lack of clarity may well be why Tory members are looking at Javid. Of course, we have no idea what Javid thinks about anything but if he plays a very strong Brexit hand this Friday then he may well move ahead of Gove permanently. If he prats around, his star will fade along with all the other cabinet leavers who have sat on their hands.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

Off-topic:

I hadn't realised that British divers found that Thai football team in the cave. Would they be suitable candidates for the George Cross, and their support team for other honours?

Not the GC but maybe an OBE apiece -- and even that would be down to news value. This is not their first time, and how often do we hand out gongs to (say) mountain rescue teams?

The Thai government is more likely to lavish honours on them.
    I respect and admire what the various mountain rescue teams around the country do - and the volunteers deserve more attention and reward (as in fairness the RNLI do get).

However I'd argue that what those men did - although part of a much larger team - is much more 'heroic'. I've done a very small amount of scuba diving, and doing that in caves, with the added pressure of having to do it in a rescue situation, is frankly heroic. They put their lives on the line to save others. And that deserves recognition IMO.

(There's a small chance that they might be military, and therefore may not want publicity.)
    The idea of swimming and crawling through narrow flooded passages is one I find nauseating. It takes immense courage.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

DavidL said:

I thought it was the position of the nut-nuts that MPs shouldn't be controlling the negotiations with the EU?

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1014052300976017408

Sometimes, because I’m an old softy at heart, I feel a tad sorry for Mrs May. Herding cats would be easier than coralling this lot.
    There seems to be a growing acceptance that she doing as good as anyone could in the circumstances
    Except the circumstances are her fault.

It's her fault she has no majority. It's her fault she's already thrown away the option of calling an early election against Jeremy Corbyn.
    Partly her fault. She is surrounded by outsize egos, however.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727

BINO.

It's not ideal and its the worst of all scenarios (worse even than remaining) but it won't be permanent. At the moment the EU has us over a barrel because we're so entwined with them that we don't have our own seats on international bodies such as Aviation etc and our present government has wasted its 2 years doing zero prep for a no deal exit.

We need to exit, get our own house in order, regain our seats on international bodies so we can certify planes, medicines etc and then we can review the BINO status. No Parliament can bind its successor and although it will royally piss off the EU in a few years time we can and should if they force a vassal status on us now say this isn't good enough and walk away again.
    Do you think that BINO would have won 52%, since it's worse than staying.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    44m44 minutes ago

UK, YouGov poll:

CON-ECR: 42%
    LAB-S&D: 37% (-3)
    LDEM-ALDE: 9%
    SNP/PCY-G/EFA: 5% (+1)
    UKIP-EFDD: 3%
    Greens-G/EFA: 3% (+1)
    BNP-*: 0%
    WEP-*: 0%

Field work: 25/06/18 – 26/06/18
    Sample size: 1,645"
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

Good question. I would take the delay because I don't believe that any political party will ever re-open the withdrawal agreement, whatever they promise. It will forever be in the too hard basket and the only direction of movement will be re-integration. The issue has to be faced now and a delay will keep the pressure on our so-called leaders to do what they were told.

Gove seems to be the supporter of later divergence (mainly so he doesn't have to resign, as he should) and his lack of clarity may well be why Tory members are looking at Javid. Of course, we have no idea what Javid thinks about anything but if he plays a very strong Brexit hand this Friday then he may well move ahead of Gove permanently. If he prats around, his star will fade along with all the other cabinet leavers who have sat on their hands.
    Reality begins to dawn on the Brexit headbangers this morning I see.

Keep going lads, you’ll get there.
  • Options

Let's be nice, they're answering a hypothetical in good faith.
  • Options

Indeed, some realistic hypotheticals rather than the usual unicornesque hard-on fantasies.
  • Options
    I'd probably take a delay over BINO as long as the PM resigned and let someone competent take over. If it's a delay with Theresa in charge then I don't see the point, just do BINO, let her get stabbed in the back/front by Boris and fire the gun for the leadership election. The next leader would have two years of transition to prepare for Britain's re-entry into the world.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    A slight variation on Edmund's hypothetical:

What if the choice were a delay, or signing a "bridge to nowhere" withdrawal agreement that just contained the divorce bill, citizens rights, NI backstop and a fudged political declaration?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,358

Hope it dawns on the cabinet as well
  • Options

And that is so true. We all need to be ready to compromise and come together
  • Options
    I think BINO is preferable to a delayed Brexit. Delayed Brexit will just get delayed again, and again, and again.
    Eternal limbo is not a good place to be.
  • Options

What if the choice were a delay, or signing a "bridge to nowhere" withdrawal agreement that just contained the divorce bill, citizens rights, NI backstop and a fudged political declaration?

No delay, prepare for no deal Brexit. Cut corporation tax by 3%, hire 10,000 customs officers, serve CPOs to landowners in Dover and other ports, spend £20bn building customs infrastructure and subsidising lengthening of supply chains for industry and slash and burn at City regulation.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I think BINO is preferable to a delayed Brexit. Delayed Brexit will just get delayed again, and again, and again.
    Eternal limbo is not a good place to be.

Indeed, a delay only makes sense in the context of a leadership change. Otherwise it seems entirely pointless.
  • Options

I wasn't going to go that far...

But I am interested in working out what's going on and what's going to happen, and that's easier if we can have a conversation without everyone having to worry that anything they say is going to be used for point scoring.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    MaxPB said:

I'd probably take a delay over BINO as long as the PM resigned and let someone competent take over. If it's a delay with Theresa in charge then I don't see the point, just do BINO, let her get stabbed in the back/front by Boris and fire the gun for the leadership election. The next leader would have two years of transition to prepare for Britain's re-entry into the world.

I'm no great fan of T. May but the idea that there's some great 'competent' alternative waiting in the wings who'd have sorted all the problems by now - cloud cuckoo land. The vote happened and I respect the result but we've annoyed our neighbours and the deal is gonna be crap whoever's in charge. Ironically, I think the EU is also being pig-headed over the whole business and again that is not T. May's fault.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563

NEW THREAD

• Options
    MaxPB said:

No delay, prepare for no deal Brexit. Cut corporation tax by 3%, hire 10,000 customs officers, serve CPOs to landowners in Dover and other ports, spend £20bn building customs infrastructure and subsidising lengthening of supply chains for industry and slash and burn at City regulation.
    Hilarious.
  • Options

I wasn't going to go that far...

But I am interested in working out what's going on and what's going to happen, and that's easier if we can have a conversation without everyone having to worry that anything they say is going to be used for point scoring.
    I agree absolutely - everyone needs to calm down and coalesce around a douable compromise. In my case I have moved to accepting a Norway option as immigration is not an issue for me as long as some control can be agreed
  • Options
    felix said:

MaxPB said:

I'm no great fan of T. May but the idea that there's some great 'competent' alternative waiting in the wings who'd have sorted all the problems by now - cloud cuckoo land. The vote happened and I respect the result but we've annoyed our neighbours and the deal is gonna be crap whoever's in charge. Ironically, I think the EU is also being pig-headed over the whole business and again that is not T. May's fault.
    It is her fault to some degree for failing to plan for no deal Brexit and turning it into a realistic option. At the moment the EU have no need to bend even 1%, they know the British economy would crash in the event of a no deal Brexit because no serious work has gone into it. From day one we should have started planning for a customs border, for lengthening of supply chains and globalising industry purchasing (lessening the reliance on EU semi-manufactured goods) and rolling over existing EU-third country trade deals. Since the government has blocked all of that the EU knows we're not serious about no deal, so they can absolutely say "here's a crap deal, take it or leave it". I know if I was on the EU negotiating team I would do exactly that.

If no deal was seriously on the table and the current 10 point no deal GDP drop became a 2-3 point GDP drop the government would be prepared to walk and that hits EU GDP by 1-2% in an already depressed economy against the background of Trump turning up the heat on those same German car makers.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    there seems to be a real sense she is about to go reading these narratives, unless she is off to snowdonia again this summer (like last Spring) I do not think she will make any big decisions to go yet.. Much as though I would like to be at Chequers this Friday I suspect it like all May;s moments not be much at all......
This discussion has been closed.