Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » To force an early election Jezza needs CON defectors – but wou

Comments

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,320
    Gets better each match
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Goooooooooooaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllll....
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

HYUFD said:

Corbyn is unlikely to be able to force a General Election, but I suppose the Tories could decide that a General Election is the best way to get them off the hook of their own making.
    If Labour won any GE the question would then be what could they do that would be acceptable to the E U and the people.
    It's such a mess and there are so many contradictions.
    A 'People's Vote' is looking better and better.

Polls suggest another general election would practically repeat the last general election result, a 'people's vote' could be even closer than the EU referendum, neither would solve a thing in fact arguably they would leave us even more divided than we are now. Just imagine a PM Corbyn propped up by the LDs and the SNP with the Tories still largest party and a 'people's vote' won by 51% either way
    If May was clever she'd see that a 2nd referendum would very likely give her the chance to land a softish Brexit:

Agree a sensible compromise deal with the EU and call a referendum to confirm acceptance with 'no deal' the alternitive if her deal is rejected by the voters. Much as I'd like her to offer Remain as an option she really doesn't have to do that. I suspect a soft Brexit would win by a country mile but if it were rejected then quite honestly the country would only have itself to blame.
    If we've learnt anything from the last few years, surely it must be not to call an unnecessary vote where you think one outcome would be a disaster
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,688
    Bloody hell - Japan have scored!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Japan are going to surprise Belgium tonight, aren't they.

I expect Gareth Southgate hopes so
    Yes, I can hear him now saying "well, Japan would have been just as tough" as he explains why England limped to a 2-0 defeat to Colombia.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028

HYUFD said:

Corbyn is unlikely to be able to force a General Election, but I suppose the Tories could decide that a General Election is the best way to get them off the hook of their own making.
    If Labour won any GE the question would then be what could they do that would be acceptable to the E U and the people.

Polls suggest another general election would practically repeat the last general election result, a 'people's vote' could be even closer than the EU referendum, neither would solve a thing in fact arguably they would leave us even more divided than we are now. Just imagine a PM Corbyn propped up by the LDs and the SNP with the Tories still largest party and a 'people's vote' won by 51% either way
    If May was clever she'd see that a 2nd referendum would very likely give her the chance to land a softish Brexit:

Agree a sensible compromise deal with the EU and call a referendum to confirm acceptance with 'no deal' the alternitive if her deal is rejected by the voters. Much as I'd like her to offer Remain as an option she really doesn't have to do that. I suspect a soft Brexit would win by a country mile but if it were rejected then quite honestly the country would only have itself to blame.
    Though any 'soft Brexit' would need at least a token concession on free movement
  • Options
    This is becoming one of the best world cups I can remember
  • Options
    edited July 2018

HYUFD said:

If we've learnt anything from the last few years, surely it must be not to call an unnecessary vote where you think one outcome would be a disaster
    It's a fair point - trouble is, muddling on as we have been is shaping up to be a disaster anyway.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Take that
  • Options
    Japan are playing some lovely football.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Japan are going to surprise Belgium tonight, aren't they.

I expect Gareth Southgate hopes so
    Yes, I can hear him now saying "well, Japan would have been just as tough" as he explains why England limped to a 2-0 defeat to Colombia.
    It at least excuses his 'cunning plan' to avoid Brazil if England lose to Columbia as he can argue Japan would have been just as hard, though obviously he wants to beat them
  • Options

Bloody hell - Japan have scored!

Twice
  • Options
    2-0!!!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I agree with you Ben
  • Options
    Japan's decision to ditch their coach three months ago looks inspired. They are quite a conservative bunch when it comes to football, but they knew they needed someone who understood the strength's of their players.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Uh, no, they suggest anything from a small Labour majority to a huge Tory majority would be on the cards. They only suggest a repeat of the last general election if you totally ignore their track record for having a large margin of error and ability to move significantly in the run-up to an election.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Though any 'soft Brexit' would need at least a token concession on free movement
    Yes probably
  • Options

Agreed!
  • Options
    I would say this is up there with Spain vs Portugal for best quality match so far of the tournament.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    tlg86 said:

Japan's decision to ditch their coach three months ago looks inspired. They are quite a conservative bunch when it comes to football, but they knew they needed someone who understood the strength's of their players.

"Hercule Poirot, Tin Tin and Snowy, your boys took a hell of a beating!"
  • Options
    Kagawa never played this well for United
  • Options
    edited July 2018

HYUFD said:

Uh, no, they suggest anything from a small Labour majority to a huge Tory majority would be on the cards. They only suggest a repeat of the last general election if you totally ignore their track record for having a large margin of error and ability to move significantly in the run-up to an election.
    No they don't, not one current poll suggests a Labour majority and not one current poll suggests a Tory landslide.

If you want to go on track record alone Survation who got the last general election almost spot on has a Tory lead of 1% in its latest poll, exactly the same as its final GE17 poll
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT: I could not leave this colourable statement from @TSE about banks unremarked upon:-

"Blame Gordon Brown who set up an awful regulatory system.

It was only one or two bad apples.

I'd have let them fail."

It most certainly was not one or two bad apples. Pretty much every bank was involved in the LIBOR and FX scandals and nearly all of them in PPI, for instance, as well as some of them having additional scandals of their own. And that's just the ones that are in the public domain. When you add in the others, well, the entire sector was riddled with a culture which had lost sight of what it should be about.

I meant in terms of needing a bailout.

Northern Rock, RBS, and HBOS.
    Two of which were old-fashioned mortgage providers who got caught out by over-enthusiastic lending on UK property. Zilch to do with the City as people normally think of it.
    RBS and HBOS were not old-fashioned mortgage providers except in the most legacy sense.
    I worked for one of them and I can assure you it was.
    HBOS maybe but RBS was a monster.
  • Options

Kagawa never played this well for United

Forlan struggled at Man Utd and was player of the tournament in 2010 WC.
  • Options

Agreed!
    Friendship broken out between us tonight Ben
  • Options
    Lukaku just a carthorse
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    tlg86 said:

Martinez getting sacked in the morning
  • Options

Agreed!
    It's been there for a while Big_G. We may not agree politically but I respect your views and recognise a decent chap when I (virtually) meet one!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Indeed. I suspect his next job will be at Sky Sports.
  • Options
    I think the important thing to remember is that May's aim isn't to come up with a deal that meets Leavers' red lines, it's to come up with a deal which Leavers -say- meets their red lines. So the question is how many prominent and influential Leavers are actually true believers or think it's in their political best interests to oppose her to the end, and how many are really just concerned with their own careers. Boris may end up being her natural ally as an extremely high-profile Leaver who's only interested in his own advancement and public image
  • Options
    Belgium have Mount Fuji to climb in the next 30 mins.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Battle of Tsushima redux
  • Options

Agreed!
    It's been there for a while Big_G. We may not agree politically but I respect your views and recognise a decent chap when I (virtually) meet one!
    Yes it has and the sentiment is reciprocated
  • Options

Lukaku just a carthorse

Talking of carthorses....here comes sideshow bob.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

In about 30 minutes
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Indeed. I suspect his next job will be at Sky Sports.
    Or Spain coach
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No they don't, not one current poll suggests a Labour majority and not one current poll suggests a Tory landslide.

If you want to go on track record alone Survation who got the last general election almost spot on has a Tory lead of 1% in its latest poll, exactly the same as its final GE17 poll
    So first you cherry pick the most accurate poll, then you compare now- with no election in sight- to the last poll a company had before an election. Do you seriously think that the fact that one pollster got a result within 1% days before an election means that polls are accurate now?
  • Options
    Well that was lucky - lifeline for Belgium
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,488
    That header is not possible.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    He didn't intend that header to go straight in did he?
  • Options
    Folks we have a game.....
  • Options
    edited July 2018

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So first you cherry pick the most accurate poll, then you compare now- with no election in sight- to the last poll a company had before an election. Do you seriously think that the fact that one pollster got a result within 1% days before an election means that polls are accurate now?
    Survation has got the last two general elections pretty much spot on in its final poll in 2015 and 2017 (albeit one was unpublished). I trust them that a new general election would be a completely pointless waste of time and effort which would leave Westminster in a virtually identical position to that before the election. Both anti Corbyn and pro Brexit Tories and anti Tory, anti Brexit Labour and LD voters are now completely dug in and neither will move an inch
  • Options
    What a game
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    That’s the goal keeper Dundee United fans remember.
  • Options
    Terrible play from Japan, all they had to do was defend.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Fellaini evens it up
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Yep. Absolute shite.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

Battle of Tsushima redux

Spoke too soon. :tired_face:
  • Options
    DavidL said:

He's made some high profile errors for Japan in the past.

I feel very sorry for Japan. Obviously a lot happened leading up to the second goal, but that foul given by the linesman was a joke. Kompany just fell over.
  • Options
    Best last 16 match without doubt
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nah France v Argentina was better.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yep. Absolute shite.
    You don't exactly want to be going for penalties if you are Japan!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

But there was no underdog to cheer for there.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    It’s actually quite profound.

She is saying “we are leaving and none of your bullshit political games are changing that”
  • Options
    Decent world cup this.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Pulpstar said:

Agreed. By a distance.
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

He's made some high profile errors for Japan in the past.

I feel very sorry for Japan. Obviously a lot happened leading up to the second goal, but that foul given by the linesman was a joke. Kompany just fell over.
    Every half decent team in England is well represented in this Belgian squad. They were my bet before the tournament started but they have to do better than this.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I forgot about 4 3 Argentina
    Don't cry 4 3 Argentina
  • Options
    What was that about Japans keeper - great save
  • Options
    That’s just the electorate fucking with us.

“You didn’t like that Hung Parliament? See how you like this!”
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Good saves by Japan's keeper
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

FPT: I could not leave this colourable statement from @TSE about banks unremarked upon:-

I'd have let them fail."

It most certainly was not one or two bad apples. Pretty much every bank was involved in the LIBOR and FX scandals and nearly all of them in PPI, for instance, as well as some of them having additional scandals of their own. And that's just the ones that are in the public domain. When you add in the others, well, the entire sector was riddled with a culture which had lost sight of what it should be about.

Pretty much.

:innocent:
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I'd have let them fail."

Two of which were old-fashioned mortgage providers who got caught out by over-enthusiastic lending on UK property. Zilch to do with the City as people normally think of it.
    At the time I was scared and bewildered by the idea of 125% LTV mortgages.
    To be fair to Northern Rock the default rate on their 125% mortgages has been surprisingly low - much better than some less aggressive loans by other less careful banks
  • Options
    One of the Belgian players has forgotten to apply sun lotion.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

I'd have let them fail."

To be fair to Northern Rock the default rate on their 125% mortgages has been surprisingly low - much better than some less aggressive loans by other less careful banks
    I've had four mortgages in my lifetime, the highest LTV I've ever had is 60% and that was my first mortgage.

I still cannot comprehend 125%.
  • Options
    Japan has played by far the best football of all the serious dogs in the last 16. Russia in particular tactics really stunk, and I'm glad Denmark are out too now
  • Options
    Poor Japan.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Japan did not deserve that
  • Options
    Silly play from Japan. Everyone down the wrong end.
  • Options

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

I'd have let them fail."

I've had four mortgages in my lifetime, the highest LTV I've ever had is 60% and that was my first mortgage.

Famously one of AIG's model which they used to price up their CDS contracts didn't allow them to enter negative house price growth.
  • Options
    That goal is a glimpse of what I think we might see in the quarter final. Name on the trophy, perhaps.
  • Options
    Stunning
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    What a game.

Belgium showed some guts to come back.

And the last goal showed the wisdom of not bringing every player back to defend set pieces.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    What odds was Lukaku for top goal scorer at 2-0?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

That goal is a glimpse of what I think we might see in the quarter final. Name on the trophy, perhaps.

Let's be honest here Belgium are going to give Brazil a far bigger challenge than Japan would have.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

I'd have let them fail."

We had a NR 125% mortgage. In fact if memory served it was a 100% mortgage and the rest was an unsecured personal loan. Although our mortgage was assigned to the "bad bank" created from NR, we paid it off in full when we sold our house to move to the US.

Here our first mortgage was also > 100% but it was a federally-sponsored "renovation" mortgage: we bought a fixer-upper and the extra amount borrowed was for doing the fixing up. This increased the value of the property enough that we were able to remortgage to a conventional mortgage a couple of years later. Here in the US almost all mortgages are fixed-rate for the duration of the loan.
  • Options
    When Linekar started saying "the last time a team came from 2-0 down to win a knock-out match..." I just knew what game it was going to be. There's not an election in Japan anytime soon, is there?
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    I've had a record breaking day today. Did 113mpg on my way to work.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    tlg86 said:

When Linekar started saying "the last time a team came from 2-0 down to win a knock-out match..." I just knew what game it was going to be. There's not an election in Japan anytime soon, is there?

What was the answer?

Edit - Germany v England 1970?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    This is easily the best world cup I can remember. The teams, the crowd, the stadiums. All of them great.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Let's be honest here Belgium are going to give Brazil a far bigger challenge than Japan would have.
    Reversion to the mean? I think you're right about underdogs generally having one big performance in them.
  • Options

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

I'd have let them fail."

I agree. It’s basically a leveraged bet on property prices.

But the default rates suggest that Northern Rock were doing their homework
  • Options

tlg86 said:

What was the answer?

Yep.
  • Options
    Earlier today, BBC must have thought "Bollocks...ITV get Brazil v Mexico....and we get a piece of dog shit....."
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

This is easily the best world cup I can remember. The teams, the crowd, the stadiums. All of them great.

USA 1994 was good as well.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    HYUFD said:

Long time reader, first time poster. You appear to post a variation on this theme a lot. Doesn't it rather ignore:

(a) the polls saw a significant movement during the campaign AFTER the GE was called, which could easily happen again
    (b) most of the polls failed to accurately predict the GE2017 result anyway
    (c) a number of the seats are held on wafer thin majorities - aren't there people on this site who calculated the number of votes Corbyn needed to potentially become PM as being a relatively small number (I could be wrong but approximately a couple of thousand from memory?).

It would be strange to expect that a new general election would suddenly result in a thumping majority for either party but I think given the above, plus the potential added double-six of either main party making it specifically and solely about Brexit, there is enough reason to suggest that a general election tomorrow could return a result that is sufficiently different to today.

Whether that would help or not is a different question, I readily accept, and I agree that it is not a *given* that the result would be different but neither do I buy the logic that there's no point thinking about another GE as it would be a near-guarantee of exactly the same result.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    edited July 2018
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yep. Absolute shite.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    What an incredible game, just incredible. The contrast between Japan passing football and team effort and Belgium superiority physically.
  • Options

Earlier today, BBC must have thought "Bollocks...ITV get Brazil v Mexico....and we get a piece of dog shit....."

Not really. BBC would have picked this game before ITV picked Brazil v Mexico due to kick off times.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    More Pinteresque silences please.
  • Options
    I never really saw the problem with 125% mortgages. Basically the borrower was getting to borrow at secured rates even if the mortgage was partly unsecured. Inflation was always likely to fix the unsecured bit in a reasonable period. If you paid a few tenths extra for the risk everyone is a winner.
  • Options
    I still have faith in Kirsty MacColl having got tomorrow's score right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7vsoVR5NX4
  • Options
    Perfect header from Fellaini by the way. Bounced on the line. Nightmare for a goalkeeper.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I never really saw the problem with 125% mortgages. Basically the borrower was getting to borrow at secured rates even if the mortgage was partly unsecured. Inflation was always likely to fix the unsecured bit in a reasonable period. If you paid a few tenths extra for the risk everyone is a winner.

You were effectively betting on property prices never falling is how I saw it.

I thought that was a courageous view.

Can you imagine the negative equity on that.

Plus if there was a default the bank would surely lose out?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

Long time reader, first time poster. You appear to post a variation on this theme a lot. Doesn't it rather ignore:

(a) the polls saw a significant movement during the campaign AFTER the GE was called, which could easily happen again
    (c) a number of the seats are held on wafer thin majorities - aren't there people on this site who calculated the number of votes Corbyn needed to potentially become PM as being a relatively small number (I could be wrong but approximately a couple of thousand from memory?).

It would be strange to expect that a new general election would suddenly result in a thumping majority for either party but I think given the above, plus the potential added double-six of either main party making it specifically and solely about Brexit, there is enough reason to suggest that a general election tomorrow could return a result that is sufficiently different to today.

Whether that would help or not is a different question, I readily accept, and I agree that it is not a *given* that the result would be different but neither do I buy the logic that there's no point thinking about another GE as it would be a near-guarantee of exactly the same result.

Good first post, and welcome to the throng, solarflare. Yes, I think the electorate are pretty unpredictable at the moment, and could easily swing surprisingly during a new campaign. Hard to tell which way!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited July 2018

tlg86 said:

What was the answer?

West Germany ! Just four days before Polling Day. Far fewer postal votes in those days so it might well have made a difference.
  • Options
    Today's Tesco Strawberry score falls to six as per the usual pattern of falls at the start of the week:

Perthshire
    Fife
    Lancashire
    Cambridgeshire
    Herefordshire
    Kent
  • Options
    edited July 2018

HYUFD said:

Polls suggest another general election would practically repeat the last general election result, a 'people's vote' could be evher way

a) The Tory voteshare was virtually unchanged from before the GE was called to the GE result, all that happened was any move to the Tories reversed after the Dementia Tax and Corbyn squeezed the LD and Green and the UKIP vote which did not go Tory to the bone, they cannot be squeezed any further.
    b) I focused on Survation which got GE17 pretty much spot on.
    c) With no swing it does not make a difference how many marginals there are there will be no change.

So I repeat a General Election tomorrow would be completely pointless, especially given the sizeable entrenched anti Corbyn vote, not to mention Corbyn and May agree on virtually everything on Brexit bar the precise definition of 'a' not 'the' customs partnership they want to stay in so it would be pointless as regards Brexit too.

Otherwise welcome to PB posting

This discussion has been closed.