Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If only David Davis was as competent a minister as he is self

Comments

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142

DavidL said:

Anazina said:

Davis is the least worst of the monkeys behind this shambles. He is a towering statesman compared to the clown Boris, the hapless May and the deeply sinister Rees.

just bollocks

get out of your brexit prism and look at what is happening in the wider world

nobody gives a shit about DD or Boris

Boris is undoubtedly a figure of fun across Europe. No-one’s heard of Davis.

Boris could still revise his opinion on Leave. He can even use his own words prior to the Referendum in June 2016 in which he made the case for a Leave vote as a conduit to get a better deal and if we did not get a better deal revert back to the status quo.

Article 50 should be withdrawn, no dishonour would be admonished on the proponents of Leave. Simply, the argument for Leaving and the benefits cited by the advocates of Leave were unobtainable. There would be no gloating and Boris might actually have a longer political career and a chance to revive his substantial diminished reputation.

A precedent would be Churchill who made the mistake of taking sterling off the gold standard as C of E in the 1920s, only to rejuvenate his own political fortunes and that of a nation in the Second World War.
    Err, Churchill put us back on the gold standard in 1925. That was a serious mistake. We came off again in 1931 and the subsequent devaluation of sterling helped the economy recover.
    Yes, Sorry I some how described it the wrong way around! The later revival in Churchills political stock is a template for Boris to recant IMO.

I left a link to where John Major made his Heart of Europe speech on the previous thread. It was indeed in 1991!
    Your analogies aren't working too well :wink:

Churchill putting sterling on the gold standard damaged the economy, Major putting sterling in the ERM damaged the economy.
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

hmmm

I'm still not convinced Merkel wont go before May

Germany has a bigger leadership crisis than the UK

Strange how it always seems to be British right-wingers pushing this line
    I read the german press

do you ?
    I don't claim to be an expert
    But I can see that Merkel is still Chancellor despite doomsday predictions to the contrary over and over again
    currently in Germany

16% vote radical right
    11 % vote radical left

that's 27%. this has never happened in the history of modern Germany and the trend is upwards.

Merkel is bit by bit destroying the fabric of the Bundesrepublik and by extension the EU
    In November 1932 they got over 50% between them.
    At the next election AfD and Die Linke will get between 35 and 40 points between them governing without one of them will be almost impossible.
    I'm willing to offer a £10 bet at evens that between them they get below 35 points. Do you agree?
    You can spend the tenner right now. It's yours.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,833

Well, I’m off to San Francisco tomorrow, where we’re hosting our biggest conference of the year at the Palace Hotel. We’ve sold out delegate places and made close to £1 million in sponsorship. Not bad for an event I devised on a sick bag on a flight from Vancouver to Chicago 12 years ago! Meanwhile, our Hong Kong office has doubled in size over the last year. Good, eh?

Surely not possible while in the EU?

:)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

May's government has tottered forward. Some progress has been made as shown by the initial agreement with the EU and then the agreement that allowed us to move on to the second stage. But the number of things in the too difficult pile has grown.

Whilst she has managed to hold the party tog

A different leader would have spent these months setting out a clear vision of what they wanted and invited others to follow. In fairness May tried that In January and then September 2017 in 2 speeches and in the second one in particular she gave the impression of having an objective in mind but there has not been a comprehensive effort to build a consensus around that objecive. May gives the impression of preferring room for manoeuvre to clarity.

The clear impression is that next week is crunch time. Either May leads and persuades a majority of those in the Commons to follow or she is really finished. At the moment it looks pretty 50:50 to me. It will be somewhat less if she cannot bring Davis with her.

I don't get this. It's very simple: the EU is like a country club. If you are a member you get all the benefits of membership - you can play golf on the club course, use the restaurants and bars, swim in the club pool, play tennis on the club courts and use the club spa and child care facilities.

If you leave the club you can no longer use their facilities. You can't say you want to leave but would still like to play golf every other monday. You either have the facilities or you don't.

There seems a marked reluctance to admit you can't have the benefits of membership without membership.

Am I missing something?
    yes

like lots of clubs non members can pay a rate and use certain facilities
    At the price, and on the conditions, set by the Club.
    lol

well of course, but generally it works out cheaper since you only pay for what you want whenever and leaves you the option to use other clubs too
    Being a member of the Club, has never prevented using another, and is often at a lower rate or even free on a reciprocal basis.

As a non member, you have to be a rule taker rather than a rule maker. We are off the committee...
    But golf clubs tend to be run by a clique of arseholes with the average member having no say.

Oh, so a golf club is similar to the EU.
  • Options

Well, I’m off to San Francisco tomorrow, where we’re hosting our biggest conference of the year at the Palace Hotel. We’ve sold out delegate places and made close to £1 million in sponsorship. Not bad for an event I devised on a sick bag on a flight from Vancouver to Chicago 12 years ago! Meanwhile, our Hong Kong office has doubled in size over the last year. Good, eh?

Impressive, well done.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Foxy said:

Working with Sam Francisco and New York?

Surely not possible unless in the USA/China.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

May's government has tottered forward. Some progress has been made as shown by the initial agreement with the EU and then the agreement that allowed us to move on to the second stage. But the number of things in the too difficult pile has grown.

A different leader would have spent these months setting out a clear vision of what they wanted and invited others to follow. In fairness May tried that In January and then September 2017 in 2 speeches and in the second one in particular she gave the impression of having an objective in mind but there has not been a comprehensive effort to build a consensus around that objecive. May gives the impression of preferring room for manoeuvre to clarity.

The clear impression is that next week is crunch time. Either May leads and persuades a majority of those in the Commons to follow or she is really finished. At the moment it looks pretty 50:50 to me. It will be somewhat less if she cannot bring Davis with her.

I don't get this. It's very simple: the EU is like a country club. If you are a member you get all the benefits of membership - you can play golf on the club course, use the restaurants and bars, swim in the club pool, play tennis on the club courts and use the club spa and child care facilities.

If you leave the club you can no longer use their facilities. You can't say you want to leave but would still like to play golf every other monday. You either have the facilities or you don't.

There seems a marked reluctance to admit you can't have the benefits of membership without membership.

Am I missing something?
    yes

lol

well of course, but generally it works out cheaper since you only pay for what you want whenever and leaves you the option to use other clubs too
    Being a member of the Club, has never prevented using another, and is often at a lower rate or even free on a reciprocal basis.

As a non member, you have to be a rule taker rather than a rule maker. We are off the committee...
    hmmm

your sort of getting a bit desperate on the analogies now

couldn't we just cut out the pussy footing and agree all GPs are lazy bastards ?
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Anazina said:

Davis is the least worst of the monkeys behind this shambles. He is a towering statesman compared to the clown Boris, the hapless May and the deeply sinister Rees.

just bollocks

Boris could still revise his opinion on Leave. He can even use his own words prior to the Referendum in June 2016 in which he made the case for a Leave vote as a conduit to get a better deal and if we did not get a better deal revert back to the status quo.

Article 50 should be withdrawn, no dishonour would be admonished on the proponents of Leave. Simply, the argument for Leaving and the benefits cited by the advocates of Leave were unobtainable. There would be no gloating and Boris might actually have a longer political career and a chance to revive his substantial diminished reputation.

A precedent would be Churchill who made the mistake of taking sterling off the gold standard as C of E in the 1920s, only to rejuvenate his own political fortunes and that of a nation in the Second World War.
    While the arguments for Remaining and the benefits cited by the advocates of Remain have been shown to be false.

Get the idea that politicians talk big and then struggle with the details ?

And BTW Churchill's mistake was in putting sterling ON the gold standard, the ERM of its day.

Though to be fair he was persuaded by the 'Sir Humphreys' in the BoE, Treasury etc.
    "While the arguments for Remaining and the benefits cited by the advocates of Remain have been shown to be false."

Surely, you mean the arguments for Leave. Remember the £350 Million a week for the NHS? How about Immigration, this week Javid has talked about relaxing rules on immigration. I don't think the arguments forwarded by Leave have been validated but demolished.

Brexiters are trying to sell a worse deal, a worse economy than we have at the moment. Instead of European Immigrants they will open the door to the rest of the world. I know you don't think that will happen but it is the only way to keep demographic changes from causing serious consequences in the economy, the NHS and even private sector companies.

Sorry about the Gold Standard comment I typed it out the wrong way but Churchill made an epic mistake but came back much in the same way as Boris could if he recanted his fundamentally flawed Leave advice.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Brexiters are trying to sell a worse deal, a worse economy than we have at the moment. Instead of European Immigrants they will open the door to the rest of the world. I know you don't think that will happen but it is the only way to keep demographic changes from causing serious consequences in the economy, the NHS and even private sector companies.

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1003900870411673600
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

Am I missing something?
    yes

lol

hmmm

couldn't we just cut out the pussy footing and agree all GPs are lazy bastards ?
    I would disagree. My GP colleagues are mostly an industrious bunch.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    “Weep for Brexit: the British dash for independence has failed”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/06/06/weep-brexit-british-dash-independence-has-failed/
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    Foxy said:

Ha, ha. But we’ve always done best in the US and Asia. We do next to no business at all in the UK.

• Options
    God help us! The English language will be murdered tomorrow again with some incomprehensible twist of words.
  • Options

Impressive, well done.

Cheers.

I know I’m showing off, but I’m pretty chuffed!! It’s all here:

http://www.ipbc.com/2018

• Options

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/06/06/weep-brexit-british-dash-independence-has-failed/

It's in the Torygraph - ha ha ha!
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Scott_P said:
    Is the much quoted "civil war" in the Tory party finally upon us ?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402

Congratulations. I’m glad to see you going where the growth is.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

A different leader would have spent these months. You either have the facilities or you don't.

Am I missing something?

yes

lol

hmmm

I would disagree. My GP colleagues are mostly an industrious bunch.
    tsk Foxy

how disappointing

you could have kicked off a good old Nighthawks session in the days when there was no Brexit, SeanT was serially pissed, we had a sporran full of mad nats and Eagles was the funniest man on the site. No holds barred anything goes.

now were just a bunch of drab moaning middle class wusses

I hope your industrious colleagues have a day of urine infections ahead of them
  • Options

DavidL said:

Anazina said:

just bollocks

Err, Churchill put us back on the gold standard in 1925. That was a serious mistake. We came off again in 1931 and the subsequent devaluation of sterling helped the economy recover.
    Yes, Sorry I some how described it the wrong way around! The later revival in Churchills political stock is a template for Boris to recant IMO.

I left a link to where John Major made his Heart of Europe speech on the previous thread. It was indeed in 1991!

Churchill putting sterling on the gold standard damaged the economy, Major putting sterling in the ERM damaged the economy.
    I know you are being pedantic about a typo because the propaganda you believe is shown to be bunkum.

I did not agree with joining the ERM at the time and certainly would not continence joining the Euro now or in the future.

The comment about John Major was in relation to another comment saying Tony Blair proposed being at the "Heart of Europe". It was in fact John Major who first used those precise words in 1991. Although many British politicians from Thatcher to Heath will have communicated the gist of those words in the past.
  • Options

While the arguments for Remaining and the benefits cited by the advocates of Remain have been shown to be false.

And BTW Churchill's mistake was in putting sterling ON the gold standard, the ERM of its day.

Though to be fair he was persuaded by the 'Sir Humphreys' in the BoE, Treasury etc.
    "While the arguments for Remaining and the benefits cited by the advocates of Remain have been shown to be false."

Surely, you mean the arguments for Leave. Remember the £350 Million a week for the NHS? How about Immigration, this week Javid has talked about relaxing rules on immigration. I don't think the arguments forwarded by Leave have been validated but demolished.

Sorry about the Gold Standard comment I typed it out the wrong way but Churchill made an epic mistake but came back much in the same way as Boris could if he recanted his fundamentally flawed Leave advice.
    Rather fortunately Cameron and Osborne told us what the benefits of the EU were:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/22/david-cameron-and-george-osborne-brexit-would-put-our-economy-in/

Personally speaking I'm significantly richer than I was two years ago and the economy is slowly rebalancing to something sustainable.

As to immigration I'd rather we allowed in skilled workers from around the world than Carpathian turnip pickers / welfare claimants.

Now if you're an advocate of unrestricted immigration from the EU perhaps you could explain how Rotherham benefits from having thousands of Eastern European Roma move there.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    surby said:

Scott_P said:
    Is the much quoted "civil war" in the Tory party finally upon us ?
    If it is hopefully we purge the last remnants of the EUphiles.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Congratulations. I’m glad to see you going where the growth is.

It’s where we’ve always majored. Silicon Valley is our single biggest market.

• Options

chortle

it's AEP the man who has never got a forecast right, Brexiters rejoice
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Scott_P said:
    Very sad.

I bumped into her and Harold in Westminster about 1983. Literally bumped into them.

She lived very modestly, unlike most subsequent PM's spouses.
  • Options

Impressive, well done.

Cheers.

There's nothing wrong with a little showing off when you've achieved something.

The people to beware of are those who big themselves up without doing anything or who don't give proper praise and reward to the people they work with.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

DavidL said:

I know you are being pedantic about a typo because the propaganda you believe is shown to be bunkum.

I did not agree with joining the ERM at the time and certainly would not continence joining the Euro now or in the future.

The comment about John Major was in relation to another comment saying Tony Blair proposed being at the "Heart of Europe". It was in fact John Major who first used those precise words in 1991. Although many British politicians from Thatcher to Heath will have communicated the gist of those words in the past.
    But what did Major putting Britain 'at the heart of Europe' achieve ?

The ERM disaster and the humiliation of Black Wednesday.

Likewise all the other British Prime Ministers who wanted to do similarly but discovered they were never going to get a place at the big table.

The only time Britain got what it wanted was in the mid 80s was when Thatcher decided to say No and keep on saying No.

If any of her successors had done likewise we would not now be leaving.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    edited June 2018
    Wolfgang Schauble, Merkel's former Finance and Interior Minister and President of the Bundestag on Newsnight says the biggest crisis facing the EU is neither the problems of the Eurozone or Brexit but managing migration
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_P said:
    Very sad.

I bumped into her and Harold in Westminster about 1983. Literally bumped into them.

He had Marcia Falkender for the glamourous bits.

:wink:
  • Options

As to immigration I'd rather we allowed in skilled workers from around the world than Carpathian turnip pickers / welfare claimants.

Now if you're an advocate of unrestricted immigration from the EU perhaps you could explain how Rotherham benefits from having thousands of Eastern European Roma move there.
    I don't have access to the DT, so cannot really comment.

Where are you getting your thousands of Roma from in Rotherham? Any official figures or is it one of your estimates?

The farming industry has recruitment shortages for some crops, you think that is a good thing? As for your comments previously about Eastern Europeans and car washes, the truth is they may well be being paid below the minimum wage, have no recourse to tax credits or other support and pay their own way.

Just out of interest have you ever given much thought to your own heritage. If you go back far enough you will probably find ancestors from allsorts of places and in all likelihood Eastern Europe, Africa or the Middle East. I think you are very wrong and xenophobic comments are something you should be ashamed of making as you incite others to behave badly. I saw a woman spit at an Irish person who was here quite legally and minding his own business when this woman who obviously thinks like you took it on her self to start getting very agitated about immigrants, told him to "fuck off" from where he came from and throw an empty bottle at him.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    HYUFD said:

Wolfgang Schauble, Merkel's former Finance and Interior Minister and President of the Bundestag on Newsnight says the biggest crisis facing the EU is neither the problems of the Eurozone or Brexit but managing migration

Who has given him a good slap round the face? Deserves a medal.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Likewise all the other British Prime Ministers who wanted to do similarly but discovered they were never going to get a place at the big table.

The only time Britain got what it wanted was in the mid 80s was when Thatcher decided to say No and keep on saying No.

Thatcher was PM (First Lord of the Treasury) when the UK joined the ERM.
  • Options
    Purple said:

HYUFD said:

Been out all day, but just a cursory look at pol news on twitter and all I can say is I am glad I am on with a few quid on a 2018 GE.

Which on current polls would be completely pointless, virtually replicating exactly the result last June
    That's comparing the 2017 result with the 2018 polls. A comparison of polls with polls is even worse for the Tories, suggesting they'd get hammered.

Tory lead in last six polls before 2017 GE: 10, 7, 12, 1, 13, 8, mean 8.5%. Actual lead, 2.5%. Most recent polls in 2018: 3, 3, 0, 4, 0, 4, mean 2.3%. And the government looks even shiter now than it did last year. So a Lab lead of 3.7%?

I doubt it. I think if there were a GE now the Tory lead could be 5%. Labour won't have students and dementia tax. They'd be like a defence team trying to win at a retrial once the prosecution have heard all the defence evidence. That's a tough job. Everyone knows the Tories are utter crap on Brexit, but can Labour sell themselves as much better on the issue? The Tories are in with a chance of ridding themselves of the DUP by the end of the year if they boot May out and let a new leader call a GE. I don't think Gove has got enough friends. Johnson would be far too risky. It could just about be Javid who would leave the Labour leadership dizzy, but I'm still mostly on Rees-Mogg.
    The Tory voteshare in 2017 was virtually unchanged from the start of the campaign even if any gains were lost after the dementia tax debacle.

All that happened was Corbyn squeezed the LD and UKIP and Green and SNP votes and he cannot do so again, he has to make a clear net gain from the Tories next time
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Who has given him a good slap round the face? Deserves a medal.
    Yes and of course without the problems of managing migration there would almost certainly have been no Brexit.

A very major admission from one of the most powerful figures in German and indeed European politics
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,007

Isn't AEP a reverse indicator: anything he says will happen won't, and vice versa?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    HYUFD said:

He must be the last person to realise this.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Also - on a really geeky point now - the current German Republic dates back to 23rd May 1949. The government in Bonn claimed de jure authority over all Germany, although it had de facto power only over the West of it. The DDR was wound up and the BRD claimed de facto authority over the whole country on 3rd October 1990. But that did not create a new republic.

Indeed.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

Impressive, well done.

Cheers.

Congrats!
  • Options

Where are you getting your thousands of Roma from in Rotherham? Any official figures or is it one of your estimates?

The farming industry has recruitment shortages for some crops, you think that is a good thing? As for your comments previously about Eastern Europeans and car washes, the truth is they may well be being paid below the minimum wage, have no recourse to tax credits or other support and pay their own way.

Just out of interest have you ever given much thought to your own heritage. If you go back far enough you will probably find ancestors from allsorts of places and in all likelihood Eastern Europe, Africa or the Middle East. I think you are very wrong and xenophobic comments are something you should be ashamed of making as you incite others to behave badly. I saw a woman spit at an Irish person who was here quite legally and minding his own business when this woman who obviously thinks like you took it on her self to start getting very agitated about immigrants, told him to "fuck off" from where he came from and throw an empty bottle at him.
    As per Rotherham council:

' Rotherham's Slovak and Czech Roma population has increased from none in 2003 to an estimated 4,100 in 2015. The number of new Slovak and Czech migrants has slowed in recent years but the population is expected to continue grow through natural change as the population has a young age profile
    The Romanian Roma population is small but growing through migration which has been significant in the years since 2014 although it is not clear what proportion of Romanian migrants are Roma '

http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/jsna/info/23/people/46/communities_of_interest/7

A very casual attitude you have to workers being exploited and if farmers want their crops to be picked then they should provide fair terms and conditions or alternatively invest in equipment.

And spare us the accusations of racism, they're the last refuge of people who can't discuss things properly.
  • Options

...currently eu immigration is going down...

Plausibility check: don't you mean it's still going up, but at a lower rate? Dropping interest rate from 10% to 5% isn't the same as a refund.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Isn't AEP a reverse indicator: anything he says will happen won't, and vice versa?
    Yep. Another example of the Golden Rule of Brexit.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Do a bit of Googling you fecking lazy halfwit.

Roma in Rotherham:

"Local estimates suggest that there are around 4,100 Roma people living in Rotherham which makes them the second largest minority ethnic group."

"A significant proportion of Roma adults have no English language skills and those who can speak English are often not fluent although language skills have tended to improve over time"

"Most parts of the country have very few Roma residents whilst Rotherham has one of the highest proportions of its population from Slovak & Czech Roma communities at 1.6%. Sheffield also has a large Roma community which has links to the nearby community in Rotherham"

' A South Yorkshire council has held an induction session for Roma immigrants to help them adapt to life in Britain.

Rotherham Council said the Roma population in the town gone from none in 2004 to an estimated 3,700 by 2012, with most migrating from Slovakia and the Czech Republic.

The authority said the sessions help show adults and children how the school system worked, how to recycle and even fire safety. '

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-south-yorkshire-26164197/induction-day-for-rotherham-s-roma-immigrants

' BBC Inside Out reporter Kate Bradbrook travelled from Rotherham to Slovakia to meet the people desperate to move to Yorkshire, to escape grinding poverty and overcrowded conditions in their home country.

Among the terraced streets and suburban sprawl of Ferham, a suburb of Rotherham, there is a growing population of Roma Slovak migrants.

It is a similar picture in the Page Hall area of Sheffield, and in Hexthorpe just outside Doncaster. '

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-29068034
  • Options
    @Anazina FPT: I think you’re on to something. No screen means to you have to listen.

Enjoy the wine!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
  • Options

DavidL said:

Thatcher was PM (First Lord of the Treasury) when the UK joined the ERM.
    She was but it was very much the end of days for Thatcher and Major was Chancellor.

How much it was Major's decision and how much that of the Sir Humphreys I don't know.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    SeanT said:
    The very easy fix is to time limit the Customs arrangement. It’s an absolute negotiation no brainer...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited June 2018
    SeanT said:

"While th

As to immigration I'd rather we allowed in skilled workers from around the world than Carpathianfrom having thousands of Eastern European Roma move there.

Roma in Rotherham:

"Local estimates suggest that there are around 4,100 Roma people living in Rotherham which makes them the second largest minority ethnic group."

"A significant proportion of Roma adults have no English language skills and those who can speak English are often not fluent although language skills have tended to improve over time"

"Most parts of the country have very few Roma residents whilst Rotherham has one of the highest proportions of its population from Slovak & Czech Roma communities at 1.6%. Sheffield also has a large Roma community which has links to the nearby community in Rotherham"

1.6%. Make them wear yellow badges.

I’ll bet the twat population of Primrose Hill is higher than 1.6%.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    Mortimer said:

SeanT said:
    The very easy fix is to time limit the Customs arrangement. It’s an absolute negotiation no brainer...
    But the ERG won’t stand for it.

Vassal state and all that jazz.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

surby said:

I see the great AEP agrees with me. We have hobbled ourselves and we are headed for the EEA, on worse terms than if we'd asked for this in the beginning.

Still, I was out in a hot, humid, sunny London tonight, went to a huge drinks reception (stuffed with foreigners, American and European), walked through the City (full of gleaming new towers like The Scalpel) and I return to Camden which is chocka with happy drinkers and party-goers, just massive crowds of noisy people, all spending money as fast as they can imbibe.

Brexit is clearly being botched, yet London feels like it is booming, and is intent on booming forever.

I can't decide whether London is Paris in 1940, partying before the Fall under the Nazis, or it is New York in, say, the early 60s, arguably facing nuclear war yet simultaneously reaching for an apex of power and glamour, which will last for many years.

The odd thing is there seems to be a lot of new construction and consumer spending everywhere I see.

But equally there are plenty of people struggling.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

They’ll be more likely to stand for it than a non time limited arrangement, which is what was mooted earlier.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,798

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

Whilst she has managed to hold the party together she has largely done so by avoiding or deferring hard decisions. I don't really criticise her for this. There are too many on both sides of the argument who seem desperate to have a fight in an empty room and would have been more than happy to go to the mattresses over something that wasn't even a possibility so far as the EU are concerned. The EU have also not helped by refusing to engage on substantive issues until very late in the process but that is the nature of the beast and one of the many reasons we are leaving in the first place.

What we are facing now, however.

A different leader would have spent these months setting out manoeuvre to clarity.

I don't get this. It's very simple: the EU is like a country clus and use the club spa and child care facilities.

Am I missing something?
    No you are not missing something. Brexit was sold with the implied promise that nothing we like would change - the infamous £350 million a week for the NHS implies that. Leave was won narrowly on that promise of no cost.
    that just shows you don't understand the dynamic of the vote.

controlling immigration was the biggest issue
    Controlling - in fact reducing - immigration at no cost.
    currently eu immigration is going down, the economy is growing and wages are rising

or do you just ignore data ?
    You keep changing the subject and then blame me for ignoring the data! My point is that Brexit was sold and won very narrowly on there being no cost to it.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited June 2018

Completely out of order.

Have you ever talked to any of the East Europeans who are working in the fields for your cheap fruit? I have.

They doing a shitty job for below the minimum wage, just so you can get cheap strawberries.

Of course, the benefits of the EU extend well beyond the English crops that need picking.

https://tinyurl.com/h6pyxbj

“Raped, beaten, exploited: the 21st century slavery” says the Guardian of Romanian farm workers in Italy.

Good ole EU, eh?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

They’ll be more likely to stand for it than a non time limited arrangement, which is what was mooted earlier.
    Nope. Plenty of them are prepared to make Corbyn PM if they don’t get their way.

https://twitter.com/johnrentoul/status/1004304626102005760?s=21
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Completely out of order.

Have you ever talked to any of the East Europeans who are working in the fields for your cheap fruit? I have.

They doing a shitty job for below the minimum wage, just so you can get cheap strawberries.

Of course, the benefits of the EU extend well beyond the English crops that need picking.

“Raped, beaten, exploited: the 21st century slavery” says the Guardian of Romanian farm workers in Italy.

Good ole EU, eh?

If they’re working for below the minimum wage then it’s up to us to enforce the law.
  • Options

SeanT said:

surby said:

I see the great AEP agrees with me. We have hobbled ourselves and we are headed for the EEA, on worse terms than if we'd asked for this in the beginning.

Still, I was out in a hot, humid, sunny London tonight, went to a huge drinks reception (stuffed with foreigners, American and European), walked through the City (full of gleaming new towers like The Scalpel) and I return to Camden which is chocka with happy drinkers and party-goers, just massive crowds of noisy people, all spending money as fast as they can imbibe.

Brexit is clearly being botched, yet London feels like it is booming, and is intent on booming forever.

I can't decide whether London is Paris in 1940, partying before the Fall under the Nazis, or it is New York in, say, the early 60s, arguably facing nuclear war yet simultaneously reaching for an apex of power and glamour, which will last for many years.

The odd thing is there seems to be a lot of new construction and consumer spending everywhere I see.

That is the difference between those who have maxed out their credit, and those yet to do so.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

As to immigration I'd rather we allowed in skilled workers from around the world than Carpathianfrom having thousands of Eastern European Roma move there.

Roma in Rotherham:

Evening Toppo

Good to see you in fine form, I assume you have recovered from the shock of discovering that it is permissible to pay agricultural workers more than minimum wage.

I had visions of you lying on Acton Common muttering "The horror! the horror!"
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited June 2018

If they’re working for below the minimum wage then it’s up to us to enforce the law.

Go ahead, Remainer-in-Chief. You’ve had plenty of time.

I suspect it is because you didn't care about things like this that you lost the referendum.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

"While th

I don't havyou took it on her self to start getting very agitated about immigrants, told him to "fuck off" from where he came from and throw an empty bottle at him.

Roma in Rotherham:

"Local

The quote was "thousands of Roma in Rotherham" which was disputed. Now we know it is true. There are indeed thousands of Roma in Rotherham. So that argument is over.

Given what I have personally seen, and experienced from, Roma communities in Eastern Europe (whence these migrants hail) I imagine these immigrants must have an intense and quite unpleasant impact on the small northern suburbs where they settle en masse.

Of course, you are insulated from all this, being rich and all. How nice for you. So you can scoff and chortle. Well done, old boy, well done. But if you lived in a particular Sheffield suburb, abruptly "colonised" by these migrants (with no legal ability to stop them coming), don't you think you might feel differently? Are you so incapable of empathy you can't do that?

There is no doubt that Roma in Eastern Europe suffer serious discrimination and dislike. There is also no doubt they act in anti-social ways which engenders this dislike and discrimination.
    1.6% = colonised.

You should take up writing fiction for a living.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

See you at Heathrow... off to Toronto
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

Nope. Plenty of them are prepared to make Corbyn PM if they don’t get their way.

https://twitter.com/johnrentoul/status/1004304626102005760?s=21
    More likely, absolutely.

Time limits make it more palletable.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Roma in Rotherham:

Evening Toppo

Good to see you in fine form, I assume you have recovered from the shock of discovering that it is permissible to pay agricultural workers more than minimum wage.

Hold on, either they’re being paid more than the minimum wage or less than it. Will you Brexitoloons make your minds up please.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

"While th

I don't havyou took it on her self to start getting very agitated about immigrants, told him to "fuck off" from where he came from and throw an empty bottle at him.

Roma in Rotherham:

"Local

The quote was "thousands of Roma in Rotherham" which was disputed. Now we know it is true. There are indeed thousands of Roma in Rotherham. So that argument is over.

Given what I have personally seen, and experienced from, Roma communities in Eastern Europe (whence these migrants hail) I imagine these immigrants must have an intense and quite unpleasant impact on the small northern suburbs where they settle en masse.

Of course, you are insulated from all this, being rich and all. How nice for you. So you can scoff and chortle. Well done, old boy, well done. But if you lived in a particular Sheffield suburb, abruptly "colonised" by these migrants (with no legal ability to stop them coming), don't you think you might feel differently? Are you so incapable of empathy you can't do that?

There is no doubt that Roma in Eastern Europe suffer serious discrimination and dislike. There is also no doubt they act in anti-social ways which engenders this dislike and discrimination.
    1.6% = colonised.

But its not 1.6% in the areas they migrate to is it.

And inevitably those areas are already among the most deprived and that in a town with plenty of socioeconomic problems as it is.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

surby said:

Agreed. Britain (or at least the bits of it I have seen recently - which isn't much - i.e. London, Devon, Cornwall, Bristol, bits of East Anglia and the Home Counties) feels more prosperous than ever. Positively booming.

Yet the stats point to a stagnant economy and a looming recession. Hm.
    Twat x 2.

So despite the foreign hordes (1.6%) Britain is booming.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

"While th

Roma in Rotherham:

"Local

1.6% = colonised.

And inevitably those areas are already among the most deprived and that in a town with plenty of socioeconomic problems as it is.
    It's 1.6% in Rotherham, duckie.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Completely out of order.

Good ole EU, eh?

Though you this morning without blinking shared a link about a farmer bemoaning that he was having to pay more than minimum wage and even having to provide WiFi in the living quarters. Clearly longing for the days he could skip a WiFi bill and get away with minimum wage or less - and you viewed that as a bad thing.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    Foxy said:

Scott_P said:
    Very sad.

Had her book of poems - memorable one on "After the bomb" - the world is destroyed by a nuclear holocaust, and Lucifer arrives to gloat: "This is the work of man, who was made in the image of God!"

102 is a good innings though!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

"While th

Roma in Rotherham:

"Local

1.6% = colonised.

Overall yes. Rotherham itself will have different areas with different figures.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

"While th

Do a bit of Goog/info/23/people/46/communities_of_interest/7

The quote was "thousands of Roma in Rotherham" which was disputed. Now we know it is true. There t feel differently? Are you so incapable of empathy you can't do that?

1.6% = colonised.

4000 migrants would definitely feel like a colonisation if it happened in a very small distinct London suburb, e.g. Primrose Hill. And that is what is happening in some small, working class suburbs in the north.

But you don't give a fuck about the white working class, do you? They are - ugh! - ignorant scum who shouldn't even have the vote. You are quite perfectly loathsome, a sneering little dwarf of disdain. Well done - again! - for proving this so adeptly.
    Population of Rotherham is 257,000. Do the maths you uber-dolt.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

TOPPING said:

Completely out of order.

Good ole EU, eh?

Though you this morning without blinking shared a link about a farmer bemoaning that he was having to pay more than minimum wage and even having to provide WiFi in the living quarters. Clearly longing for the days he could skip a WiFi bill and get away with minimum wage or less - and you viewed that as a bad thing.
    More than or indeed the minimum wage does not equal less than the minimum wage. These are PB basics I am surprised we need to go through them at this time of night.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

surby said:

Agreed. Britain (or at least the bits of it I have seen recently - which isn't much - i.e. London, Devon, Cornwall, Bristol, bits of East Anglia and the Home Counties) feels more prosperous than ever. Positively booming.

Yet the stats point to a stagnant economy and a looming recession. Hm.
    The Stats for growth will be revised up to match the Stats for employment and tax revenues.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    Adonis and Oborne were on Newsnight - A pair of nutty fruircakes if ever there was....
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Roma in Rotherham:

Evening Toppo

Hold on, either they’re being paid more than the minimum wage or less than it. Will you Brexitoloons make your minds up please.
    Even ArchIdiot Welby has realised that hand carwashes are riddled with exploited workers:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-derbyshire-44337746/churchgoers-help-stop-modern-slavery-at-car-washes

And rising wages are a good thing when that are matched by rising productivity - its the method by which the country has prospered in previous centuries.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

"While th

Roma in Rotherham:

"Local

1.6% = colonised.

Indeed it will. Do you know the Roma dispersion in Rotherham?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Completely out of order.

Good ole EU, eh?

More than or indeed the minimum wage does not equal less than the minimum wage. These are PB basics I am surprised we need to go through them at this time of night.
    17 pence more than the minimum was quoted as being the end of the world. The minimum is £7.83 and £8 was quoted in the article.

If getting 17p more than the minimum and WiFi in your accomodation is a dramatic change then what was it before hand?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

"While th

Roma in Rotherham:

"Local

1.6% = colonised.

No nor do I care or see how it is relevant.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

"While th

The quote was "thousands of Roma in Rotherham" which was disputed. Now we know it is true. There t feel differently? Are you so incapable of empathy you can't do that?

1.6% = colonised.

4000 migrants would definitely feel like a colonisation if it happened in a very small distinct London suburb, e.g. Primrose Hill. And that is what is happening in some small, working class suburbs in the north.

But you don't give a fuck about the white working class, do you? They are - ugh! - ignorant scum who shouldn't even have the vote. You are quite perfectly loathsome, a sneering little dwarf of disdain. Well done - again! - for proving this so adeptly.
    Why don't you pop up to the poor area's and see for yourself what sort of immigration these area's are attracting from the EU ? You will be shocked if you go by the area I live.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Roma in Rotherham:

Evening Toppo

Even ArchIdiot Welby has realised that hand carwashes are riddled with exploited workers:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-derbyshire-44337746/churchgoers-help-stop-modern-slavery-at-car-washes

And rising wages are a good thing when that are matched by rising productivity - its the method by which the country has prospered in previous centuries.
    If it's illegal we should stop it.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    Reading about yet more violent moped gangs in the Evening Standard. Is Sadiq Khan vulnerable for reelection? Moped gangs, knife crime and shootings are all surging.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

"While th

1.6% = colonised.

Why don't you pop up to the poor area's and see for yourself what sort of immigration these area's are attracting from the EU ? You will be shocked if you go by the area I live.
    I live in an area of huge immigration.

What will shock me if I come to yours?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

"While th

Roma in Rotherham:

"Local

"Most parts of the country have very few Roma resident

1.6% = colonised.

No nor do I care or see how it is relevant.
    Sean said Rotherham was being colonised.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    Isn't "colonise" common parlance for lots of people coming to a place? E.g. "Brighton gets colonised by Londoners on hot weekends".
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Lucky we don't have the American gun laws here.

It might have tempted me with the god awful eastern European singing behind my back fence tonight which went on for hours.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

"While th

1.6% = colonised.

4000 mig proving this so adeptly.
    Topping, we need to raise the tone of debate, and in a spirit of goodwill I calmly suggest you and I take the lead, and move away from this name calling.

To that end, I suggest we simply agree that you are an innumerate, drooling, snobbish, urinous old c*nt, who is incapable of understanding that migration can be unhappily concentrated in tiny areas (as humans always crowd with their own) and that even if you did comprehend this, you rancid, weeping sow's vulva, you would refuse to acknowledge it as it might unhappily impact your bizarrely deluded world-view of yourself as a man of intelligence and fellow-feeling, when you are, in fact, the opposite. That is to say: a selfish disgusting moral anus.

Deal?
    So finally - you concede the point on Rotherham, Roma and colonisation (1.6%).
  • Options
    Elliot said:

Reading about yet more violent moped gangs in the Evening Standard. Is Sadiq Khan vulnerable for reelection? Moped gangs, knife crime and shootings are all surging.

No.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Lucky we don't have the American gun laws here.

It might have tempted me with the god awful eastern European singing behind my back fence tonight which went on for hours.

If we had American gun laws they would be armed also.

Edit: but thanks for showing your true colours and I'm not talking about your views on gun law.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

And?

A tiny percentage of British emigres successfully colonised many nations. Centuries later the native majorities got their independence. I fail to see how a percentage is relevant to the discussion unless you think it takes a majority to colonise an area - in which case why aren't all former British colonies majority Anglo Saxon?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

And?

A tiny percentage of British emigres successfully colonised many nations. Centuries later the native majorities got their independence. I fail to see how a percentage is relevant to the discussion unless you think it takes a majority to colonise an area - in which case why aren't all former British colonies majority Anglo Saxon?
    Dear god is that your point?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Evening Toppo

But we're not:

' Reported cases of slavery have increased 35% year on year, with the UK being one of the biggest destinations in Europe for trafficking of workers for labour exploitation. Debt bondage – where migrants often become indebted to recruitment agencies for travel or illegal work-finding fees – is common. Bogus self-employment contracts are also regularly used to disguise abuse, with intelligence suggesting this is a growing problem in sectors such as cleaning, construction and flower picking. Zero-hours contracts linked to abuses are highlighted in agriculture, construction, food packing and security services, despite many workers effectively being permanent staff.

The report also finds that organised crime groups are active in the labour market in many sectors. Most intelligence about victims of labour exploitation in the last 12 months has related to Romanian men in their 20s and 30s, while Romanian and British nationals are the most prevalent offender nationalities across all forms of modern slavery. Albanian organised crime is a significant factor in abuse in car washes. '

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/08/slaves-working-in-uk-construction-and-car-washes-report-finds
  • Options
    The first sign that you're losing it: the formatting goes to cock.
  • Options
    @SeanT

So if there is a semi detached house in a street of 100 houses in all others of which lived English people and in one side of that semi detached house there is an English family and in the other a Scottish one would you say that the street had been colonised by the Scots?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Now I'm not averse to believing bad things about George Osborne :wink:

But I don't believe that.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Evening Toppo

But we're not:

' Reported cases of slavery have increased 35% year on year, with the UK being one of the biggest destinations in Europe for trafficking of workers for labour exploitation. Debt bondage – where migrants often become indebted to recruitment agencies for travel or illegal work-finding fees – is common. Bogus self-employment contracts are also regularly used to disguise abuse, with intelligence suggesting this is a growing problem in sectors such as cleaning, construction and flower picking. Zero-hours contracts linked to abuses are highlighted in agriculture, construction, food packing and security services, despite many workers effectively being permanent staff.

The report also finds that organised crime groups are active in the labour market in many sectors. Most intelligence about victims of labour exploitation in the last 12 months has related to Romanian men in their 20s and 30s, while Romanian and British nationals are the most prevalent offender nationalities across all forms of modern slavery. Albanian organised crime is a significant factor in abuse in car washes. '

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/08/slaves-working-in-uk-construction-and-car-washes-report-finds
    I know. It's a failing. What has that got to do with the Roma in Rotherham?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

The first sign that you're losing it: the formatting goes to cock.

That's the EXACT equivalent of when you lose an argument, publicly and embarrassingly, and you are reduced to a painful critique of someone's spelling. We've all been there.

Night night.
    No please don't run away. I'm still here. Happy to discuss. Sean.... Sean....

Oh.
  • Options

Why are Labour supporters so good in the business world ? Discuss. 3 hours.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Evening Toppo

But we're not:

I know. It's a failing. What has that got to do with the Roma in Rotherham?
    What types of work do you think they might do ?

G'night.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    TOPPING said:

@SeanT

So if there is a semi detached house in a street of 100 houses in all others of which lived English people and in one side of that semi detached house there is an English family and in the other a Scottish one would you say that the street had been colonised by the Scots?

1/100 is a far cry from 1,200/2,400.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,033
    GIN1138 said:

DD needs to resign if he can't agree with the government's decision.
    He's enjoying it. If we know anything about DD it is his massive need for attention.
This discussion has been closed.