Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If we are to have a 2018 general election then the Tories will

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,418
    edited May 2018

On cannabis legalisation:

I have swung over time between legalisation and keeping it illegal. At the moment I am against legalisation, unless:

*) The law is strict about the types of cannabis sold; selling stronger types, or other drugs, is stamped on. Cannabis can only be sold through licensed outlets.

*) Driving or using machinery under the influence is strictly illegal, and results in jail time.

*) Ditto smoking in front of children, or in public.

*) Money gained from taxation is used to help users of cannabis and other drugs.

*) Encouraging the use of cannabis as a gateway drug, or selling to people under 18 (21?), results in jail time.

Basically: let people use cannabis if they want, as long as they do not haem wider society.

I do not believe for a moment that legalisation would stop crime; the criminals want to make money, and will just move on to other forms of cannabis and other drugs. However legalisation with rules strictly applied, could be a benefit to society. If the rules are applied.

And that's where I fear it'll fall down.

Agree. Except that I don't think it'll lead to other criminal activities.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,783

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Yougov 43% support legalising cannabis, 41% opposes. More see heroin, cocaine, tobacco and alcohol as harmful than see cannabis as harmful

https://mobile.twitter.com/britainelects/status/1001829991351574528

If the Lib Dems would like to stop talking about Brexit for five minutes, they could and should be all over this one.
    If the Lib Dems stopped banging on about Brexit and started talking about decriminalisation of soft drugs, they would have my vote. I don't partake myself, but the drugs one chooses to poison oneself with are a primarily self-regarding action and only become other-regarding in the sense of the damage that the illegal trade does. In the interests of harm reduction to the users and an expected reduction in associated crime (gangland knife attacks, etc), I struggle to think of a more sensible policy. Frankly, I'm surprised 41% oppose it. Why tell other people how to live their lives?
    I kinda agree. But then I think: do I really want to smell sickly sweet ganja wherever I go?

It’s a horrible, fuggy and decadent smell, and those on it usually behave like morons in public. Not a fan.
    Presumably the same laws regarding tobacco would also apply to weed.

Great. So every time I sit outside at a restaurant or in a pub garden I have to smell weed.
    In California, you aren't allowed to smoke (cannabis or tobacco) outside in public places like restaurants. That is inevitably coming - and rightly so - to the UK too.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,786

I have swung over time between legalisation and keeping it illegal. At the moment I am against legalisation, unless:

*) The law is strict about the types of cannabis sold; selling stronger types, or other drugs, is stamped on. Cannabis can only be sold through licensed outlets.

*) Driving or using machinery under the influence is strictly illegal, and results in jail time.

*) Money gained from taxation is used to help users of cannabis and other drugs.

*) Encouraging the use of cannabis as a gateway drug, or selling to people under 18 (21?), results in jail time.

Basically: let people use cannabis if they want, as long as they do not haem wider society.

I do not believe for a moment that legalisation would stop crime; the criminals want to make money, and will just move on to other forms of cannabis and other drugs. However legalisation with rules strictly applied, could be a benefit to society. If the rules are applied.

Why wouldn't it?

Criminals make millions, perhaps even billions, from the sale of cannabis. They're not going to say: "Oh, it's been legalised. I'll retire or go on the dole." It is a big, black, business. They'll look at other ways of making money, preferably in a related area. And legality won't bother them.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,214
    rcs1000 said:

In California, you aren't allowed to smoke (cannabis or tobacco) outside in public places like restaurants. That is inevitably coming - and rightly so - to the UK too.

The ubiquitous signs warning you of carcinogenic substances everywhere can be offputting...
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,018
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Yougov 43% support legalising cannabis, 41% opposes. More see heroin, cocaine, tobacco and alcohol as harmful than see cannabis as harmful

If the Lib Dems would like to stop talking about Brexit for five minutes, they could and should be all over this one.
    If the Lib Dems stopped banging on about Brexit and started talking about decriminalisation of soft drugs, they would have my vote. I don't partake myself, but the drugs one chooses to poison oneself with are a primarily self-regarding action and only become other-regarding in the sense of the damage that the illegal trade does. In the interests of harm reduction to the users and an expected reduction in associated crime (gangland knife attacks, etc), I struggle to think of a more sensible policy. Frankly, I'm surprised 41% oppose it. Why tell other people how to live their lives?
    I kinda agree. But then I think: do I really want to smell sickly sweet ganja wherever I go?

It’s a horrible, fuggy and decadent smell, and those on it usually behave like morons in public. Not a fan.

Great. So every time I sit outside at a restaurant or in a pub garden I have to smell weed.
    Gah. Then where will us PB Tories be able to smoke our cigars in peace and quiet?
  • Options

Why wouldn't it?

Criminals make millions, perhaps even billions, from the sale of cannabis. They're not going to say: "Oh, it's been legalised. I'll retire or go on the dole." It is a big, black, business. They'll look at other ways of making money, preferably in a related area. And legality won't bother them.
    People commit crimes because it is financial advantageous at that moment in time for them to do so. They are - by and large - rational (albeit amoral) economic actors.

If you remove the profit from cannabis, you reduce criminality.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 12,024
    rcs1000 said:

Why wouldn't it?

People commit crimes because it is financial advantageous at that moment in time for them to do so. They are - by and large - rational (albeit amoral) economic actors.

What is the lesson from prohibition here? What did the bad guys do when that was overturned - did they find other outlets? Genuine question.
  • Options
    There's some interesting data in Pew report on Europeans attitudes towards the EU.

Best of all, it comes without the bias issues that come from using the EU's Eurobarometer surveys.

Most interesting - to me at least - is that the Poles have one of the most Eurosceptic governments in the EU, but one of the most Euroenthusiastic populations.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Why wouldn't it?

What is the lesson from prohibition here? What did the bad guys do when that was overturned - did they find other outlets? Genuine question.
    The answer is that gangs survived but in a much diminished form. There was less opportunity for illegal profit. And therefore less crime.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,627

Why wouldn't it?

So even if other reasons mean there's no need to keep cannabis illegal we should do so because at least then we know what the criminals are up to? I'm confused what your point actually is. Criminals would have to seek other avenues, of course, but we cannot stop people trying to find ways to commit crimes. I just don't think it logical to keep cannabis illegal.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,475
    rcs1000 said:

There's some interesting data in Pew report on Europeans attitudes towards the EU.

Best of all, it comes without the bias issues that come from using the EU's Eurobarometer surveys.

Most interesting - to me at least - is that the Poles have one of the most Eurosceptic governments in the EU, but one of the most Euroenthusiastic populations.

Poles want to be Western Europeans.

And the EU gives them opportunities and money.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    The case for he use by doctors to use cannabis to ease pain is very strong. The crazy thing is that the UK is one of the biggest producers of medical cannabis only it all has to be exported.

This is an area where there is overwhelming public support - TMay ought to take notice and ignore Dacre
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

The Tories have the money on their side, but Labour have the people on the side!

(And also plenty of money, if less, and granted the Tories also have voters on their side who are presumably also people, but nevermind)

May be they should merge? Then they would have the money *and* the people.
    They don`t need to merge, Mr Charles. They are quite happy supporting one another`s policies - though they have to keep up appearances of antagonism to keep the troops fired up. But both seem to be set on destroying the British economy, using Brexit as their instrument. Corbyn`s co-operation with the Tory headbangers is frightening.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Why wouldn't it?

You remove the criminality from the sale of cannabis, agreed. However these are people and organisations that rely on that money. A few will certainly go straight; however others will look at other illegal ways of getting money. As you say, they are rational, and they rationally want money on a scale they can only get from criminality - and their skills may only be fit for criminality.

As an example, AIUI not all cannabis is the same, and some may remain banned. They'll start selling those forms, other drugs, or mixing drugs. Or they may move into prostitution, online crime, fraud, robbery, etc. If there are already actors in that area, there will be clashes - and being criminals, those clashes may well be violent.

As ever when changing anything, you have to think of the other effects the change will have. People often fail to react the way legislators assume, and criminals especially so.

I'm not saying this is a reason not to legalise; just that I feel it's naive to assume that legalisation will lead to an overall reduction in crime.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

rcs1000 said:

Brits want Continental sophistication.

And the EU gives them olives and wine.

/parody remoaner
  • Options

The case for he use by doctors to use cannabis to ease pain is very strong. The crazy thing is that the UK is one of the biggest producers of medical cannabis only it all has to be exported.

This is an area where there is overwhelming public support - TMay ought to take notice and ignore Dacre

She should but I doubt May is going to support anything bold after last year.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Why wouldn't it?

So even if other reasons mean there's no need to keep cannabis illegal we should do so because at least then we know what the criminals are up to? I'm confused what your point actually is. Criminals would have to seek other avenues, of course, but we cannot stop people trying to find ways to commit crimes. I just don't think it logical to keep cannabis illegal.
    No, that's not my position. I'm open to legalisation, subject to the restrictions I mention above (and looking at California's laws, I'm pleased that I've come up with a broadly similar set). However I think it's naive - perhaps extremely naive - to think the people who make massive amounts of money from selling it will suddenly become good citizens.

Legalise it to prevent criminalising users, to help people who need it for medicine, or just because the ban is pointless and self-defeating. But don't pretend a ban will reduce crime overall.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

/parody remoaner
    Well that's Tyson and Roger covered :wink:
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,294
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Let’s hope so.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686

rcs1000 said:

/parody remoaner
    Well that's Tyson and Roger covered :wink:
    Not tyson, at least if the Italian election results are anything to go by.
  • Options
    What I want to know is : why all the obsession with legalising cannabis? Why not start with magic mushrooms?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Most Poles I know are very patriotic and proud to be Polish.

I suspect the EU and its markets have worked well for them, and they need the backup against Russia, but they otherwise want to remain as independent as possible.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411
    rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

Pulpstar said:

Omnium said:

SeanT said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

Wildly off topic but I went for a walk through the new King's Cross today, from St Pancras all the way home to Camden, via the canal. I've seen bits of the redevelopment before but never really grasped its scale, or the way it fits together.

It is quite magnificent, an astonishing transformation. Full of kids and art and cafes and students and brilliant re-imagining of antique industrial buildings. The gas holders, for instance, are now luxurious flats, yet they've kept the iconic iron frames.

I can remember when this area was Satanically dingy and malignant. It's where TV and movie people always went, if they wanted a location that said Urban Decay.

Now it is sleek, chic, even idyllic.

Not all the world gets worse.

Nice of you to quote the Guardian so closely.

So the iconic behind-Kings Cross terrace of Mike Leigh's High Hopes is now gone?
    Am I quoting the Guardian?!

Anyway yes the old King's X is now completely gone. They've built a whole new glistening inner suburb, keeping the best of the old, it's super impressive.
    Super expensive too. I really like that Gasholder development - the implicit industrial heritage, and the location right next to a lock with some history itself. That development though is so compromised in that they have to have pie-section flats. The asking price for a one bedroom flat so compromised is nearly GBP1m.

There's either something absolutely amazing happening with London, or it's a bubble. It might just be the former. London may just evolving into the world capital. Brexit might even help. Or, none of that.

I rather want to live in the Gasholder nonetheless.
    But even yesterday I was able to find a house of almost 3000 sq ft for a million quid in London. I know there is a premium for living in something nice close to the centre of the big smoke, but even compared to what you can get slightly out from the centre that premium for a relative shoe box just seems completely enormous.
    You'll be very rich if you're right and less so if you're wrong.
    You can buy a 1,500 square foot flat on Shaftesbury Ave in good condition in a nice block for £1.5m.
    But, I'd rather spend £1.5 m on a big house with six acres on the Pilgrims Way or bordering the Ashridge Estate.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686

rcs1000 said:

I suspect the EU and its markets have worked well for them, and they need the backup against Russia, but they otherwise want to remain as independent as possible.
    I expect that with the annual EU bribe ending Polish fondness of the EU will go down quite a bit.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited May 2018

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Let’s hope so.
    The only problem, for me, is that reefer smoke is much less unpleasant than cigarette smoke. If you smoke an ordinary fag upwind I can smell it from a considerable distance. Now that most places ban smoking smokers in street entrances pretty well foul everything up. I have heard that Bolivian women smokers smoke in reverse, with the ember in their mouth. Requiring that practice would be a reasonable compromise for doorway smokers.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Pride in being Polish doesn't preclude pride in being European, just as pride in being English doesn't preclude pride in being British (even if some find it a stretch to extend the sense of identity beyond that).
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

I expect that with the annual EU bribe ending Polish fondness of the EU will go down quite a bit.
    If Poland continues its growth trajectory, its status as a net recipient is neither here nor there.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Pride in being Polish doesn't preclude pride in being European, just as pride in being English doesn't preclude pride in being British (even if some find it a stretch to extend the sense of identity beyond that).
    And... here he is again.
  • Options
    Toms said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Let’s hope so.
    The only problem, for me, is that reefer smoke is much less unpleasant than cigarette smoke. If you smoke an ordinary fag upwind I can smell it from a considerable distance. Now that most places ban smoking smokers in street entrances pretty well foul everything up. I have heard that Bolivian women smokers smoke in reverse, with the ember in their mouth. Requiring that practice would be a reasonable compromise for doorway smokers.
    Not sure about that. I can smell reefer smoke from a blimmin long way away.

Fag smoke I seem to largely be able to dodge, although i agree it’s a dirtier smell.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

What I want to know is : why all the obsession with legalising cannabis? Why not start with magic mushrooms?

Cannabis is more popular, that's why.

Also, on the subject of foul smelling things disturbing others, for me I find few things as pungent as Strawberries, or anything Strawberry flavoured. I'm highly sensitive to the smell and cannot stand it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Is your theory about Vince Cable more than idle speculation?
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

Toms said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Let’s hope so.

Fag smoke I seem to largely be able to dodge, although i agree it’s a dirtier smell.
    They're both pretty awful. Even worse, most deodorants and sprays seriously choke me up and I'm not asthmatic. Where do the kids get 50 p per fag?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,196

Rhubarb said:

The FT advocates hard Brexit - in financial services regulation at least:

https://www.ft.com/content/b6642e42-63f4-11e8-90c2-9563a0613e56

Is there a google cache of that (or similar) so non-subscribers can read that?
    Google 'b6642e42-63f4-11e8-90c2-9563a0613e56' and then click the link. The FT doesn't enforce it's paywall for google referrals.
    Ah. Many thanks.
    For the same reason you can always simply Google the title of the FT article you want to read (the title comes up in the 'Subscribe to read' page - the FT seem to make it pretty easy to circumscribe the need to subscribe.)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,921
    End of days alert

The morning thread I've written contains criticism of George Osborne.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,196
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Also, on the subject of foul smelling things disturbing others, for me I find few things as pungent as Strawberries, or anything Strawberry flavoured. I'm highly sensitive to the smell and cannot stand it.
    You have my sympathies but I doubt you would get very far with a campaign to ban the eating of strawberries in public. :smile:
  • Options

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

You have my sympathies but I doubt you would get very far with a campaign to ban the eating of strawberries in public. :smile:
    Such is my burden to bear - society looks down on those like me, but I accept their scorn with as much grace as I can.
  • Options

End of days alert

"Is George Osborne too reticent in showing us how awesome he is? I think he may be"
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,375
    Toms said:

Toms said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Let’s hope so.

They're both pretty awful. Even worse, most deodorants and sprays seriously choke me up and I'm not asthmatic. Where do the kids get 50 p per fag?
    They don't. Back when I used to smoke everyone in my office travelled frequently and it was bad manners to not bring back your allowance in duty free. Total price around 55p for a pack of 20.

If, of course, no-one had been abroad for work for a while and supplies were running low, you could always nip to the pub down the road, which would happily sell you a pack of 20 for about three quid (I'm pretty certain they were counterfeits). Ditto one or two of the offies near where I lived. I quit a few years ago but I doubt much has changed since then.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

End of days alert

"Is George Osborne too reticent in showing us how awesome he is? I think he may be"
    You know me so well, although I fear I may also give some Leavers an aneurysm in the morning thread.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,045
    kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

I'm a Lib Dem member and part of the 41% who oppose... I imagine I'm in a tiny space on the Venn diagram. However, drugs are the one (probably the only) subject in which my instincts are not very liberal. I don't dismiss your arguments though - on the surface they make some sense but I don't think it's a fence that I can jump myself. I wouldn't actively campaign against decriminalisation but I'd be very queasy about any campaign in which it featured heavily.

I guess we all have at least one issue with which we are majorly out of line with the party that we support and that's no bad thing.

Dr Foxy is quite against cannabis legalisation too, as a LD, IIRC.
    Yes, I have seen too many lives and families ruined by cannabis. I would be OK about decriminalisation, and turning possession of small quantities into a civil offence, and even allowing liscensing of Dutch style Brown Cafes with consumption only allowed on premeses. Licensing prevents them from opening in inappropriate areas, such as near schools.

• Options

kle4 said:

End of days alert

You know me so well, although I fear I may also give some Leavers an aneurysm in the morning thread.
    The Tory Reform Group seems to be on the march with both Tom Tugendhat and Johnny Mercer becoming patrons, as well as Nigel Huddleston (who he?).

https://twitter.com/HuddlestonNigel/status/1001711317215010826
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,274
    rcs1000 said:

It was difficult enough reinstating blue Smarties.

• Options

kle4 said:

End of days alert

"George Osborne Ought to Have Taken Us into the Euro".
  • Options
    IDS's statement this morning that people who don't want to live with Brexit should go and live elsewhere hasn't had enough attention.

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1001925503308255232
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,392

End of days alert

Does it also include an honest assessment of the shortcomings of The Last Jedi?

If not, then it's just a bit surprising not the End of Days.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,286

IDS's statement this morning that people who don't want to live with Brexit should go and live elsewhere hasn't had enough attention.

Deporting all the Lords might be a good start to be fair.
  • Options

kle4 said:

End of days alert

The Tory Reform Group seems to be on the march with both Tom Tugendhat and Johnny Mercer becoming patrons, as well as Nigel Huddleston (who he?).

It is great that the TRG are listening to me, us One Nationers haven't gone away you know.
  • Options

That was Scott's advice to people who didn't like the Referendum result.

Or it was when he expected Remain to win. :wink:
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Lord Adonis and Iain Duncan Smith squabbling?

That's the equivalent of watching a wasp landing on a stinging nettle. You know somebody's going to be stung and whoever it is it's going to be funny.

Couldn't we send both of them to a desert island where they could slug it out and leave the rest of us in peace?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Fuck off. Please, just fuck off

was what a Brexiteer said to me the day after...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

End of days alert

A friend of mine who is a Leaver and makes you and Casino Royale sound like Ken Clarke really regrets the UK not joining the Euro in 1999/2001.

His view is that when the great financial crisis hit our membership of the Euro would have destroyed the Euro and forced the Euro countries to go back to their own currencies and the damn stupid policy of a single interest rate for Europe would have ended.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,667
    Scott_P said:

A Brexiteer who you were claiming was supporting hate attacks.

So Fuck off. Just fuck off. (You don't deserve the courtesy of please any more.....)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,281

kle4 said:

End of days alert

It is great that the TRG are listening to me, us One Nationers haven't gone away you know.
    I think you are more Libertarian than One Nation
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    rcs1000 said:

Polish voters are strongly EU but also strongly anti Euro
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

End of days alert

Your definition of One Nation probably includes Pauline Hanson.
  • Options
    I should have become a televangelist.

A televangelist has called on his followers to buy him a $54m (£40m) private jet because "if Jesus was on Earth today he wouldn't be riding a donkey".

Jesse Duplantis used his regular "This week with Jesse" broadcast to claim that God had told him to acquire the Falcon 7X.

The evangelist is the face of "Jesse Duplantis Ministries", which according to its website has been operating for at least 40 years.

Mr Duplantis explained that he already has a plane that he purchased in 2006, but it doesn't let him fly around the world in "one stop".

https://news.sky.com/story/televangelist-asks-followers-to-buy-him-a-54m-jet-11390216?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter&__twitter_impression=true
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

That's not true
  • Options

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

End of days alert

A friend of mine who is a Leaver and makes you and Casino Royale sound like Ken Clarke really regrets the UK not joining the Euro in 1999/2001.

His view is that when the great financial crisis hit our membership of the Euro would have destroyed the Euro and forced the Euro countries to go back to their own currencies and the damn stupid policy of a single interest rate for Europe would have ended.
    It would.

But, it would have been devastating. Banks would have stopped functioning, unemployment would have soared, and we would have suffered like Greece.

We'd be past the worst by now, but the experience would have been traumatic.

• Options

A televangelist has called on his followers to buy him a $54m (£40m) private jet because "if Jesus was on Earth today he wouldn't be riding a donkey".

Jesse Duplantis used his regular "This week with Jesse" broadcast to claim that God had told him to acquire the Falcon 7X.

The evangelist is the face of "Jesse Duplantis Ministries", which according to its website has been operating for at least 40 years.

Mr Duplantis explained that he already has a plane that he purchased in 2006, but it doesn't let him fly around the world in "one stop".

https://news.sky.com/story/televangelist-asks-followers-to-buy-him-a-54m-jet-11390216?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter&__twitter_impression=true

He may get a jet rather than a donkey, but he certainly made a total ass of himself.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

End of days alert

At least you're not calling me a Lib Dem, progress of sorts.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

End of days alert

At least you're not calling me a Lib Dem, progress of sorts.
    I said you were an 'Orange Book LD' not that you were Charles Kennedy or Tim Farron!

Incidentally there is a UK Libertarian Party but it has not yet achieved the profile or votes of its US counterpart, getting 524 votes at the last UK general election compared to Gary Johnson's 4.5 million at the 2016 US general election where he came a clear third
    https://libertarianpartyuk.com/
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,045

God helps those who help themselves...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

End of days alert

Your definition of One Nation probably includes Pauline Hanson.
    Pauline Hanson is a nationalist populist, not a 'One Nation Tory' in the Disraeli or Macmillan tradition
  • Options

From an old John Oliver segment, it seems to be quite common for these televangelists to ask for, and get, private planes worth tens of millions. They can really rake in the money, which would be funny if not for those who are paying for all the luxuries.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

From an old John Oliver segment, it seems to be quite common for these televangelists to ask for, and get, private planes worth tens of millions. They can really rake in the money, which would be funny if not for those who are paying for all the luxuries.
    Perhaps instead of asking the government for a Brexit plane, Boris should have asked his followers to chip in.
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    kle4 said:

Unfortunately, these conmen [ they are almost invariably men ] are to be found in every religion and are very "successful". Why there are so many gullible "devout" followers beats me ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

End of days alert

I am in no position to describe a Tory - but TSE, I think, is a one nation Tory. Very much in the mould of his hero Cameron.
  • Options

He will have a lot of recreational time after the next election.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Labour should prepare for the 2019 European elections"

https://labourlist.org/2018/05/labour-should-prepare-for-the-2019-european-elections/
  • Options
    surby said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

End of days alert

I am in no position to describe a Tory - but TSE, I think, is a one nation Tory. Very much in the mould of his hero Cameron.
    Cameron was I suppose just about One Nation but Osborne is TSE's hero, not Cameron and Osborne is a Libertarian if ever there was one
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

But, I'd rather spend £1.5 m on a big house with six acres on the Pilgrims Way or bordering the Ashridge Estate.

People are different, shocker.

I'm not a big fan of the countryside. I like being in the centre of a big city. And it is easy to underestimate the maintenance costs of those six acres and the large house.

I want to be able to walk to restaurants, to never have to get in a car, and to be able to go to the theater or a concert every day.

But your views are equally legitimate.

(Of course, the best bit about the Shaftesbury Avenue flat is that I can earn its annual mortgage payment through 90 days of Airbnb if I so desire.)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

Perhaps instead of asking the government for a Brexit plane, Boris should have asked his followers to chip in.
    Genuine question: which of us, do you think, will be handing £1000 to the other next year?
    I think you will, although there's still a chance we'll somehow scrape across the line. The odds have to be that the political shit will hit the fan before March next year and we'll end up with another referendum.

My biggest doubts were when May called the election and it looked like she'd get a massive majority.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

So Fuck off. Just fuck off. (You don't deserve the courtesy of please any more.....)
    Has anyone been convicted or even charged with those 'hate crimes' which we were told were sweeping the country after the Referendum ?
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    surby said:

kle4 said:

Unfortunately, these conmen [ they are almost invariably men ] are to be found in every religion and are very "successful". Why there are so many gullible "devout" followers beats me ?
    Reggie Yates did an interesting documentary following around a South African multimillionaire televangelist 'Prophet Mboro' in the townships on BBC1 last night, apparently the congregation think a well dressed Pastor in an expensive suit travelling in a fleet of Mercedes and Cadillacs shows his 'success' in his work for his flock leading to them giving more donations to him
  • Options
    surby said:

He will have a lot of recreational time after the next election.
    If the local elections in Waltham Forest were repeated at the general election IDS would hold his Chingford seat comfortably
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

surby said:

kle4 said:

Reggie Yates did an interesting documentary following around a South African multimillionaire televangelist 'Prophet Mboro' in the townships on BBC1 last night, apparently the congregation think a well dressed Pastor in an expensive suit travelling in a fleet of Mercedes and Cadillacs shows his 'success' in his work for his flock leading to them giving more donations to him
    Have you read this piece: https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/apr/19/wolves-of-instagram-jordan-belmont-social-media-traders
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited May 2018

Scott_P said:

Has anyone been convicted or even charged with those 'hate crimes' which we were told were sweeping the country after the Referendum ?

Hate crime prosecutions actually fell post the Brexit referendum. There was a spike in the number of websites encouraging you to report hate crimes and pro remain politicians suggesting people do so.

Problem is how do you define a hate crime - does it treat a tweet by Katie Hopkins which someone disproves of the same as a physical attack or upset over a UKIP poster the same as vandalism to your home? No - but all are counted potentially as a hate crime?

If a Polish man and a white English guy have a drunken punch up outside a pub one night and both end up in hospital is the former the victim of a hate crime and the latter just of GBH?

In the end all violent and many other crimes are hateful - do you feel better because the guy who mugged or stabbed you was of the same race

It's all rather subjective - which renders the stats meaningless.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/brexit-hate-crime-prosecutions-fall-attack-report-spike-cps-report-statistics-islamophobia-racist-a8003716.html
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

kle4 said:

Have you read this piece: https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/apr/19/wolves-of-instagram-jordan-belmont-social-media-traders
    Yes, a similar chancer can be attracted to shady stock trading as mass evangelism
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

I'm not a big fan of the countryside. I like being in the centre of a big city. And it is easy to underestimate the maintenance costs of those six acres and the large house.

I want to be able to walk to restaurants, to never have to get in a car, and to be able to go to the theater or a concert every day.

(Of course, the best bit about the Shaftesbury Avenue flat is that I can earn its annual mortgage payment through 90 days of Airbnb if I so desire.)
    Of course the toffiest and wealthiest traditionally had a townhouse or large flat in Kensington, Chelsea or Westminster in the week and a country estate for weekends
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Yah.

The footage, filmed by Chisango, was shared over 66,000 times after it appeared on Twitter in early March. Recorded from inside her bedroom, students can be heard outside her door chanting, among other things, “we hate the blacks” and “sign the Brexit papers”.

https://www.legalcheek.com/2018/05/nottingham-trent-law-student-ordered-to-pay-500-compensation-following-disgusting-racist-chanting-incident/

I've seen it first hand with people chanting 'Fuck off home, we voted Brexit' in Piccadilly Gardens.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited May 2018
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

I’ll speak up for suburbia. Half an hour by train from the centre of the greatest city in the world, but 10 minutes from the English countryside in the car. Plus, you can hear birdsong and church bells in the morning, and get an Uber home from Central London in the small hours.

Perfection :smile:
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Yah.

The footage, filmed by Chisango, was shared over 66,000 times after it appeared on Twitter in early March. Recorded from inside her bedroom, students can be heard outside her door chanting, among other things, “we hate the blacks” and “sign the Brexit papers”.

https://www.legalcheek.com/2018/05/nottingham-trent-law-student-ordered-to-pay-500-compensation-following-disgusting-racist-chanting-incident/

I've seen it first hand with people chanting 'Fuck off home, we voted Brexit' in Piccadilly Gardens.
    So not one of the hate crimes we were told were sweeping the country in the days after the Referendum.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I'm not a big fan of the countryside. I like being in the centre of a big city.

Does LA have either?
  • Options
    edited May 2018

rcs1000 said:

I'm not a big fan of the countryside. I like being in the centre of a big city.

Does LA have either?
    LA has beaches and hills and mountains not too far away but is more a vast collection of suburbs outside Downtown
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,643
    Re: cannabis, I feel we are moving quite rapidly towards a "tipping point" in public opinion. As we did with gay marriage, abortion in Ireland, and, dare I say it leaving the EU.

What was once the preserve of the eccentric fringe in politics is becoming maistream. Looking at Yougov (49-32 against legalisation in 2014), the movement is pretty stark and rapid.

With various US States, Canada, Uruguay, Portugal, and the Netherlands all having legalisation to some degree or other, we have the opportunity to have a genuine evidence-based public discussion, with well-reasoned points made on both sides, comparing and contrasting the real world effects in each of these reasonably similar societies.
    Thus, rational legislation which ameliorates the disbenefits of each system can be put forward for the acceptance or rejection of the voters.

Only kidding.

Of course we won't.

We'll rely on straw men, exceptional cases, and tabloid-fuelled hysteria as always.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,667
    Scott_P said:

That's not true
    People might just surmise from the vehemence of my initial respsonse that you are the liar....
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

I’ll speak up for suburbia. Half an hour by train from the centre of the greatest city in the world, but 10 minutes from the English countryside in the car. Plus, you can hear birdsong and church bells in the morning, and get an Uber home from Central London in the small hours.

Epping is a market town, right next to Epping Forest and with farmland nearby but also at the end of the tube line and 50 minutes into Oxford Circus and central London
  • Options
    I don’t think legalising cannabis is a good idea. Legalisation would increase availability, and its effect on the brains and future mental health of teenagers is much worse than alcohol or tobacco.

Cannabis is not that prevalent in the U.K. compared with the USA, Spain or other European countries. Let’s not make it worse.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Its all about location, location, location which is itself dependent upon money, money money.

Whether its urban, suburban or rural there's a range from highly desirable to absolute shitholes.
  • Options
    AC Grayling on C4's European Parliament documentary 'Carry on Brussels' asking Guy Verhofstadt to make the EU negotiations with the UK as tough as possible to help the Remain campaign reverse Brexit in a second referendum
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Take a walk along the Regent's Canal, through the New King's Cross, as I did today.

Pretty much the very centre of London, but I was surrounded by birdsong, and gardens, and people in berets pottering about on narrow boats. London is a unique and remarkable city.
    Who are the people in berets ?

French ? Military ? Painters ? Posers ?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Take a walk along the Regent's Canal, through the New King's Cross, as I did today.

Pretty much the very centre of London, but I was surrounded by birdsong, and gardens, and people in berets pottering about on narrow boats. London is a unique and remarkable city.
    That sounds great, but you can’t escape that quickly from the city with your own set of wheels if you’re in Zone 1.

If I ever have a spare million I might buy a flat there and give it a try :wink:
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Epping is a market town, right next to Epping Forest and with farmland nearby but also at the end of the tube line and 50 minutes into Oxford Circus and central London
    Sounds delightful!
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Its all about location, location, location which is itself dependent upon money, money money.

Whether its urban, suburban or rural there's a range from highly desirable to absolute shitholes.
    Exactly, there is a world of difference between Newham and Kensington and Chelsea, Bromley and Barking and West Oxfordshire and West Yorkshire
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,643
    edited May 2018
    RoyalBlue said:

I don’t think legalising cannabis is a good idea. Legalisation would increase availability, and its effect on the brains and future mental health of teenagers is much worse than alcohol or tobacco.

Cannabis is not that prevalent in the U.K. compared with the USA, Spain or other European countries. Let’s not make it worse.

It isn't? It has become less trendy amongst the young, but I would argue it is available pretty much everywhere if you care to look for it.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Sounds delightful!
    It is which is why the town continues to grow
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

If it were so obviously much worse then I don't think there would be anywhere near as much support for its legalisation as there is, so clearly there are debates to be had on the subject. How bad do the effects of something need to be before we say it is not ok to sell it? At what point even if it is not good for us do we still say it is a choice for the individual?

Hell, just make it so you have to be over 18 to buy it. Sure, some will get hold of it before then, but they do already, and we don't eliminate other harmful products because some young people get a hold of it too soon.

Perhaps we should have a referendum on the subject - No should win easily if a portion of supporters get stoned beforehand

Night all
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

AC Grayling on C4's European Parliament documentary 'Carry on Brussels' asking Guy Verhofstadt to make the EU negotiations with the UK as tough as possible to help the Remain campaign reverse Brexit in a second referendum

He does come very close to the very ordinary definition of a "traitor". He's also been sent totally bonkers by Brexit.
    Yes, he even has his own spoof twitter account now 'Professor AC Wailing'. For some ultra Remainers it is almost as if they are Catholics in the Elizabethan age trying to return the country to 'the true faith'

https://twitter.com/AcWailing
This discussion has been closed.