Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If we are to have a 2018 general election then the Tories will

124»

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,012
    RoyalBlue said:

I don’t think legalising cannabis is a good idea. Legalisation would increase availability, and its effect on the brains and future mental health of teenagers is much worse than alcohol or tobacco.

Cannabis is not that prevalent in the U.K. compared with the USA, Spain or other European countries. Let’s not make it worse.

Certainly in its review of the evidence, the Royal College of Psychiatrists report on Cannabis concluded that it does permanently damage brains if used under age 20, including depression, anxiety disorders and psychoses:

https://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfo/problems/alcoholanddrugs/cannabisandmentalhealth.aspx?theme=mobile

But we've had enough of experts, surely?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,158
    HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

But, I'd rather spend £1.5 m on a big house with six acres on the Pilgrims Way or bordering the Ashridge Estate.

People are different, shocker.

I'm not a big fan of the countryside. I like being in the centre of a big city. And it is easy to underestimate the maintenance costs of those six acres and the large house.

I want to be able to walk to restaurants, to never have to get in a car, and to be able to go to the theater or a concert every day.

But your views are equally legitimate.

(Of course, the best bit about the Shaftesbury Avenue flat is that I can earn its annual mortgage payment through 90 days of Airbnb if I so desire.)
    I’ll speak up for suburbia. Half an hour by train from the centre of the greatest city in the world, but 10 minutes from the English countryside in the car. Plus, you can hear birdsong and church bells in the morning, and get an Uber home from Central London in the small hours.

Perfection :smile:
    Its all about location, location, location which is itself dependent upon money, money money.

Whether its urban, suburban or rural there's a range from highly desirable to absolute shitholes.
    Exactly, there is a world of difference between Newham and Kensington and Chelsea, Bromley and Barking and West Oxfordshire and West Yorkshire
    You can narrow down the differential much more - every district will have its internal variations.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,130
    Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

I don’t think legalising cannabis is a good idea. Legalisation would increase availability, and its effect on the brains and future mental health of teenagers is much worse than alcohol or tobacco.

Cannabis is not that prevalent in the U.K. compared with the USA, Spain or other European countries. Let’s not make it worse.

Certainly in its review of the evidence, the Royal College of Psychiatrists report on Cannabis concluded that it does permanently damage brains if used under age 20, including depression, anxiety disorders and psychoses:

https://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfo/problems/alcoholanddrugs/cannabisandmentalhealth.aspx?theme=mobile

Limit it to people over 20 then.
  • Options

SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

But, I'd rather spend £1.5 m on a big house with six acres on the Pilgrims Way or bordering the Ashridge Estate.

I'm not a big fan of the countryside. I like being in the centre of a big city. And it is easy to underestimate the maintenance costs of those six acres and the large house.

I want to be able to walk to restaurants, to never have to get in a car, and to be able to go to the theater or a concert every day.

(Of course, the best bit about the Shaftesbury Avenue flat is that I can earn its annual mortgage payment through 90 days of Airbnb if I so desire.)
    I’ll speak up for suburbia. Half an hour by train from the centre of the greatest city in the world, but 10 minutes from the English countryside in the car. Plus, you can hear birdsong and church bells in the morning, and get an Uber home from Central London in the small hours.

Take a walk along the Regent's Canal, through the New King's Cross, as I did today.

Pretty much the very centre of London, but I was surrounded by birdsong, and gardens, and people in berets pottering about on narrow boats. London is a unique and remarkable city.
    Who are the people in berets ?

French ? Military ? Painters ? Posers ?
    Remainers :)

But so much nicer than Stoke on Trent.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

How much would use increase if it was legal ?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,284

HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Its all about location, location, location which is itself dependent upon money, money money.

Whether its urban, suburban or rural there's a range from highly desirable to absolute shitholes.
    Exactly, there is a world of difference between Newham and Kensington and Chelsea, Bromley and Barking and West Oxfordshire and West Yorkshire
    You can narrow down the differential much more - every district will have its internal variations.
    Indeed and there is a big difference between a street of large detached houses and terraced houses and housing association flats
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    The city of St Albans has good restaurants, music, theatre and roman ruins.

It is normally around 20 mins from St Pancras; but also has the current troubles with Thameslink.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,059
    Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

I accept that, Foxy. However, having worked as a youth worker in a small,isolated, rural Northumberland market town, where every single young person could get weed within 10 minutes (almost always superstrength skunk...other varieties rarely available) my response would be that prohibition is not working.

It is BECAUSE of the dangers that I favour a different path.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

It is normally around 20 mins from St Pancras; but also has the current troubles with Thameslink.

Don’t forget the Abbey!

Your name is a bit of a giveaway :tongue:
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

That is an unknown. Certainly in Europe there is little correlation between legality and consumption rates. Mostly it is decriminalised rather than legalised. Portugal takes this approach, but also invests heavily in therapy and other harm reduction strategies. Possession is still a civil offence there and results in state intervention with a substantial social work element. They have made it a little dull and worthy!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Foxy said:

SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Take a walk along the Regent's Canal, through the New King's Cross, as I did today.

Pretty much the very centre of London, but I was surrounded by birdsong, and gardens, and people in berets pottering about on narrow boats. London is a unique and remarkable city.
    Who are the people in berets ?

French ? Military ? Painters ? Posers ?
    Remainers :)

But so much nicer than Stoke on Trent.
    That depends on what you want - a cheap house, a job in the pottery industry and the Peak District close by and Stoke would tick all the boxes.

And landscaped slag heaps really have improved the topography of industrial areas :smile:
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

It's only 12 minutes from St Albans to West Hampstead Thameslink. I did the journey a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

I accept that, Foxy. However, having worked as a youth worker in a small,isolated, rural Northumberland market town, where every single young person could get weed within 10 minutes (almost always superstrength skunk...other varieties rarely available) my response would be that prohibition is not working.

I would favour decriminalisation, and heavy investment in counselling.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,629
    edited May 2018
    O/T

Had a little bit of an adventure on the railways this evening :lol:

Intended to do the curve connecting Coleshill and Tamworth on the 2030 Birmingham to Derby, which was done on schedule, but then got stuck behind a broken down freight train north of Burton. This meant that I was unexpectedly able to do the diversionary route via Castle Donnington (the massive M & S distribution depot), eventually getting to Derby around 2210, around an hour late! Luckily the 2202 back to Birmingham was 15 mins late so I managed to get back to New Street around 11pm :)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

That is an unknown. Certainly in Europe there is little correlation between legality and consumption rates. Mostly it is decriminalised rather than legalised. Portugal takes this approach, but also invests heavily in therapy and other harm reduction strategies. Possession is still a civil offence there and results in state intervention with a substantial social work element. They have made it a little dull and worthy!
    Being legally available would make it easier to use but being legally available would then lose it the 'rebel' image.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

O/T

Intended to do the curve connecting Coleshill and Tamworth on the 2030 Birmingham to Derby, which was done on schedule, but then got stuck behind a broken down freight train north of Burton. This meant that I was unexpectedly able to do the diversionary route via Castle Donnington (the massive M & S distribution depot), eventually getting to Derby around 2210, around an hour late! Luckily the 2202 back to Birmingham was 15 mins late so I managed to get back to New Street around 11pm :)

You are quite adorable.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

I would favour decriminalisation, and heavy investment in counselling.

I would agree. As long as it was proper open-ended talking therapy from a trained psychotherapist, rather than 6 sessions of CBT from a workbook designed to get you into a minimum wage job. (ie, treating synptoms not causes).
    Inevitably that would cost though.
    My experience is that a lot of substance abuse comes from self-medicating against undiagnosed trauma, anxiety and depression.
    The sad fact is that illegal cannabis is far more readily available to young people and cheaper for adults than legal alcohol is.
  • Options
    I don't know why but England are strong favourites to win the Headingley test match against Pakistan starting on Friday.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/cricket/market/1.144271625
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    AndyJS said:

I don't know why but England are strong favourites to win the Headingley test match against Pakistan starting on Friday.

The Pakistani bowling line up is actually better suited for Headingley than even Anderson and Broad, strange as it may sound.

I am not too sure about their batting. Shafiq is good but the rest I am not sure. They will put up their 30's and 40's. But it is their bowlers who I think will do the damage again.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,629
    RoyalBlue said:

O/T

You are quite adorable.
    Um, thank you :)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Thanks, have just invested on Pakistan.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I was thinking the same thing! I don't like being unpatriotic though.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

I was thinking the same thing! I don't like being unpatriotic though.
    Its not.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    Regarding the legalisation of Cannabis, I take CBD oil for my Crohn’s Disease and it helps a hell of a lot. Legalisation and regulation should bring the price down for people like me.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,905
    Yeeeeouch.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/james-cusick/george-osborne-s-london-evening-standard-promises-positive-news-coverage-to-uber-goo
    The project, called London 2020, is being directed by Osborne. It effectively sweeps away the conventional ethical divide between news and advertising inside the Standard – and is set to include “favourable” news coverage of the firms involved, with readers unable to differentiate between "news" that is paid-for and other commercially-branded content.

• Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    surby said:

AndyJS said:

The Pakistani bowling line up is actually better suited for Headingley than even Anderson and Broad, strange as it may sound.

I am not too sure about their batting. Shafiq is good but the rest I am not sure. They will put up their 30's and 40's. But it is their bowlers who I think will do the damage again.
    Pakistan have won their last two Tests without scoring a century. They're eminently beatable. England's form is so bad though that I'm not expecting anything.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

Being legally available would make it easier to use but being legally available would then lose it the 'rebel' image.
    The rebel image was lost a while ago. It is what Centrist Dad and Mum do after an agreeable dinner party or a frightful meeting with regional office.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,342
    HYUFD said:
    They haven't had our experience of Liam though. If they did expect those numbers to invert rapidly.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,096
    There will definitely be a substantial electoral bounty from the non gammon demographics for the first major party to move on legalising cannabis. I am amazed JC hasn't included it as part of his platform. It would be a mighty engine of voter turnout among the young and probably guarantee his majority.
  • Options
    "Germaine Greer calls for punishment for rape to be reduced

Feminist academic tells Hay festival that ‘most rape is just lazy, careless and insensitive’"

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/may/30/germaine-greer-calls-for-punishment-for-to-be-reduced
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,876
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Ooh. I like that desk :smiley:
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,876
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    New thread!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,284
    Dura_Ace said:

There will definitely be a substantial electoral bounty from the non gammon demographics for the first major party to move on legalising cannabis. I am amazed JC hasn't included it as part of his platform. It would be a mighty engine of voter turnout among the young and probably guarantee his majority.

Even if you want to legalise cannabis you are not automatically going to vote for the socialism that comes as part of the Corbyn package
This discussion has been closed.