Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With just about all the LE2018 results now in the clear winner

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,984

JackW said:

PClipp said:

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

LOL at Mr Smithson trying to present 16% as a massive triumph.

I remember when the consensus was that Clegg had flopped in his first set of local elections with 'only' 25%.

Because we can only judge a current situation in reference to the past, not the present. It's clearly progress. Can it be sustained? Can it be taken further so they are closer to where they have been in the past? Unclear, and I don't think their chances are high, but progress is still progress.
    It's not particularly progress even compared to the recent past. 16% is less than the 18% they got last year in the local elections, and up a bit from 13% that they got when these seats were last contested in 2014.

I guess the definition of "triumph" depends on what your expectations were. If one was expecting the Lib Dems to fold completely, then I suppose these results are a "triumph" - they 're clearly going to have some presence in local councils, and probably at Westminster, for years to come. But in terms of recovering to their strength of the pre-Coalition years (let alone challenging either of the Big Two, which was their big goal not so long ago), I see very little in this set of results that indicates that.
    Patience, Danny. It`s like a plane taking off... you know.... slow at first, and then.... whoom!
    Whoom! Bang! Crash! ?????
    And KABOOM
    I understood that reference!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Off topic, I bought a pretty massive position in IAG after the Brexit kerfuffle a couple of years ago. I actually forgot about it until now because the results came out this morning and they are primed to buy Norwegian. I'm sitting on a pretty huge gain, does anyone know the implications of selling the stake whilst I'm still resident in Switzerland? I don't mind paying any UK CGT due, but I don't know if I'd be liable.

Where are you tax resident? If it's Switzerland then you will need to pay CGT there.
    Yes Switzerland, but I'll be back in the UK before the end of the year. The CGT rate here is the same as income tax which is much lower than the 28% I'd end up paying in the UK.

I just don't want to be liable for the rest on entry to the UK.
    20%. 28% only for carried interest gains, residential property gains.
    I have no idea what that means.
    The normal rate of cgt for higher rate taxpayers is 20%. For gains arising from disposals of residential property (eg second homes) the rate is 28%. Similarly the rate of tax on carried interest for private equity managers is also 28%.

I think I might just pay my dad to sort it out. :/
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Middle class alert.

I have just opened the fridge and discovered a half-eaten Hawaiian pizza.
    I believe the nanny must have left it there and presume it was fed to my 3 year old for lunch.

Thoughts?

Definitely not microwave.
    Heat it in the oven at 200ish until re melted, then dip in some barbecue sauce.
    Enjoy.

If you want to level up, try pepperoni and pineapple. It's too much power for some people on here to handle.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    They are actually having a recount in ward in TH...
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    https://twitter.com/ELAdvertiser/status/992479177784856577

looks like a couple of tory losses already in Tower Hamlets to Labour in this ward and Limehouse
  • Options
    Whitechapel: Reports that candidates are unhappy with number of declared votes.
    Party agents took on-the-spot tallies of voters at each of the ward's five polling stations and, together with registered postal votes, comes to 5,000 in all.
    Not 6,000, as declared

Update: Island Gardens votes not under a full recount, but Tory group chairman Peter Golds (fighting to regain his seat) claims some figures have been put in the wrong column when tally put together, giving false result, which some other candidates dispute
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Progressive Alliance; Jezza in Number 10.
    Are you adding in the Residents Association MPs?
  • Options

4 wards declared so far in Tower Hamlets

http://democracy.towerhamlets.gov.uk/mgElectionResults.aspx?ID=43&V=1&RPID=12803558

The night is still young...

looks like labour could come through the middle in a lot of seats there.
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    Mike, who can begrudge you on your headline. However, compared to LD losses in 2014, only a fourth was won back.

Labour played a poor expectations game - but did not have that bad a night considering 2014 results. Barnet stood out as a bad result. But Labour is making inroads in the Southwest with Plymouth. I think at the next GE quite a few Cornwall seats will also be in play.

It was stupid to even talk about Wandsworth, Westminster and Kensington. However, the performance in Wandsworth and indeed all over London except Barnet, possibly Harrow was good.
  • Options
    Perhaps Tower Hamlets didn't want to share the limelight during their count?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Perhaps Tower Hamlets didn't want to share the limelight during their count?

• Options

Party agents took on-the-spot tallies of voters at each of the ward's five polling stations and, together with registered postal votes, comes to 5,000 in all.
    Not 6,000, as declared

Update: Island Gardens votes not under a full recount, but Tory group chairman Peter Golds (fighting to regain his seat) claims some figures have been put in the wrong column when tally put together, giving false result, which some other candidates dispute

Might as well be in some African hell hole tbh.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
  • Options

Of course, Labour will win a few more in Scotland from the SNP.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Recounts in Canary Wharf and Island Gardens.
  • Options
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,317
    I take it that's the name of the ward, not the names of the candidates.

Although Cubitt Town would be a fabulous name for a candidate...
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Was this not a Tory seat from 1983 - 1992?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

So 1.67% of those who tried to vote in the trial areas were not able to do so because they did not have the ID required. Extrapolate that to a general election and you are looking at around 500,000 people being denied the right to cast a ballot. That is an extraordinary number.

AIUI that’s a very misleading number - based on a minute sample and plenty of guesswork - by a campaigning group so suggest you take with pinch of salt
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Not 6,000, as declared

Might as well be in some African hell hole tbh.
    Their counting should be done by an outside group not council staff.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,097

Middle class alert.

I believe the nanny must have left it there and presume it was fed to my 3 year old for lunch.

Thoughts?

Fired in your pizza oven?
  • Options
    yes, ward. Winning candidates are Ehtashamul Haqu, Morshed Pappu and Candida Ronald
    ydoethur said:

• Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078

The Lib Dems (3) have been eliminated from Hackney Council. It’s a bit sad that in liberal Islington and Hackney, not a Lib Dem is now to be found.

I am envious of the good burghers of Crouch End.

Can we have PR for local elections please?

Say no to one-party states.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,210
    edited May 2018
    A whole lotta reinstatin' goin' on.

https://twitter.com/MirrorPolitics/status/992480397392056329

Hey Tory party, what first attracted you to abusive, racist, winning candidate X?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    This was in 2014:

"Tower Hamlets named by Election Commission for voting fraud danger"

http://www.eastlondonadvertiser.co.uk/news/politics/tower-hamlets-named-by-election-commission-for-voting-fraud-danger-1-3206478
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Jo Johnson on Ch4 defending the reinstatement of the racist.

What was the defence ?

She's been on an awareness course, so everything is fine. But Jo hadn't actually read what she'd posted before he defended her.
    A better defence is she was suspended for 3 months, she has done that and now it’s natural justice to let her back in. It’s certainly fair to argue the punishment was way too little but to change after the event isn’t right
  • Options

yes, ward. Winning candidates are Ehtashamul Haqu, Morshed Pappu and Candida Ronald

ydoethur said:

A candidate called Candida? Even better!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Off topic, I bought a pretty massive position in IAG after the Brexit kerfuffle a couple of years ago. I actually forgot about it until now because the results came out this morning and they are primed to buy Norwegian. I'm sitting on a pretty huge gain, does anyone know the implications of selling the stake whilst I'm still resident in Switzerland? I don't mind paying any UK CGT due, but I don't know if I'd be liable.

Where are you tax resident? If it's Switzerland then you will need to pay CGT there.
    Yes Switzerland, but I'll be back in the UK before the end of the year. The CGT rate here is the same as income tax which is much lower than the 28% I'd end up paying in the UK.

You get a decent capital gains tax allowance though. Depends how large the gain is!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,655
    Freggles said:

Are you adding in the Residents Association MPs?
    Definitely not - Tories by another name!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

You get a decent capital gains tax allowance though. Depends how large the gain is!
    Low six figures so fairly large (at least in my world!). It was a proper drunk gut investment. I saw the markets crash when I was in Greece for a wedding and IAG stuck out as being ridiculously underpriced given that nothing had really changed from one day to the next.
  • Options

Hey Tory party, what first attracted you to abusive, racist, winning candidate X?

I don't know what bothers me most about politics at the moment - the lack of talent, the total absence of policy or vision, the total wing-nuts it allows in (into top positions in the case of Labour) or the lackadaisical way all parties deals with them, which can again be by promoting them.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,480
    edited May 2018
    So for once a set of elections that closely mirror current polling.

Tories must be relieved that 8 years into government this was not a rout of the type we were accustomed to seeing towards the end of the New Labour years. Suggests that the country as a whole has not turned their backs on them yet. Will be disappointed about Trafford and that their strong showing in certain Midlands councils was not replicated elsewhere. And a bad, but not cataclysmic, night in London saved by the Barnet result.

Labour success patchy, but successes all the same. At least they seem to be consolidating their post-GE position. But they’re nowhere near where they need to be at this stage of an election cycle. And they avoided the potential for a very bad night outside of the capital.

As you were, then...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855

Anyone know how accurate the you gov . London poll was wrt the actual votes????

I've not done the number crunching, but I think the Labour lead was more like 15% than 22%. Strange as it may seem, London swung from Labour, compared to last Jue.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Low six figures so fairly large (at least in my world!). It was a proper drunk gut investment. I saw the markets crash when I was in Greece for a wedding and IAG stuck out as being ridiculously underpriced given that nothing had really changed from one day to the next.
    Sell it and pay the tax ;)

U.K. tax will be around £18,000 (100k - 11.2k = 88.8k x 0.2 = 17.6k).

If you are that fussed you could defer some of the profit, look at a SIPP contribution or reinvest into EIS.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    edited May 2018

Ahem.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11880268/Jeremy-Corbyns-Twitter-account-favourites-David-Cameron-pigs-and-Diane-Abbott-tweet.html

"But Mr Corbyn, who has suffered from several days of negative publicity surrounding a series of gaffes since his appointment as Labour leader, has been thrown into the spotlight once again after his Twitter account seemingly favourited a tweet which asked: "Which is worse? f****** a pig or f****** Diane Abbott?""
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I don't know what bothers me most about politics at the moment - the lack of talent, the total absence of policy or vision, the total wing-nuts it allows in (into top positions in the case of Labour) or the lackadaisical way all parties deals with them, which can again be by promoting them.
    The standard depressing answer to that is that we get the politicians we deserve..
  • Options

Tories must be relieved that 8 years into government this was not a rout of the type we were accustomed to seeing towards the end of the New Labour years. Suggests that the country as a whole has not turned their backs on them yet. Will be disappointed about Trafford and that their strong showing in certain Midlands councils was not replicated elsewhere. And a bad, but not cataclysmic, night in London saved by the Barnet result.

Labour success patchy, but successes all the same. At least they seem to be consolidating their post-GE position. But they’re nowhere near where they need to be at this stage of an election cycle. And they avoided the potential for a very bad night outside of the capital.

As you were, then...

But Labour's 2014 results were good. This one is better than that one.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

The standard depressing answer to that is that we get the politicians we deserve..
    Could be worse. I could be still wondering what I had done to deserve the Welsh Labour Party.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,480
    surby said:

As you were, then...

And look where it got them at the following election.

They’ve done well, but not astoundingly so. And on national equivalent vote share they might actually be behind the Tories this time, which wasn’t the case in 2014.
  • Options
    Island Gardens and Bow East candidates called to stage!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,025
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

If you are that fussed you could defer some of the profit, look at a SIPP contribution or reinvest into EIS.
    Yes, if you can roll over some of it into EIS you could about paying CGT at all now.
  • Options

surby said:

As you were, then...

They’ve done well, but not astoundingly so. And on national equivalent vote share they might actually be behind the Tories this time, which wasn’t the case in 2014.
    Labour has certainly done significantly better than at the 2017 Local Elections - and we know what happened a mere five weeks later at the General Election.
  • Options

surby said:

As you were, then...

The 2015 Labour result had a lot to do with losing 40 seats in Scotland. In England there was a swing to Labour and a gain of a few seats.

There is no election in Scotland. I think I read it somewhere that compared to GE2017, there has been a small swing to Labour from the Tories.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

surby said:

As you were, then...

Labour has certainly done significantly better than at the 2017 Local Elections - and we know what happened a mere five weeks later at the General Election.
    They've already hovered up all the left-wing vote. It's hard to imagine how they'd repeat the same gains that they achieved between the locals and the general in 2017.
  • Options
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

surby said:

As you were, then...

They've already hovered up all the left-wing vote. It's hard to imagine how they'd repeat the same gains that they achieved between the locals and the general in 2017.
    Well they wouldn't need to! It's not unlikely though that Labour could put on 3%/4% to take them clear of the Tories.
  • Options
    CynosargesCynosarges Posts: 44

Could it be the same thing that caused hundreds of Corbynista racist tweets about Sajid Javid? (Which, despite Labour's claims to be against racism, have failed to raise a single condemnation from Corbyn, Abbott or Mcdonnell. Or, indeed, any words of condemnation from Theuniondivvie.)
  • Options
    Rachel Blake 2,789
    Marc Francis 2,644
    Amina Ali 2,482

elected in Bow East. All Labour
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, if you can roll over some of it into EIS you could about paying CGT at all now.
    @MaxPB is a football fan isn’t he? If so, then I’ve got a great idea for an EIS investment for him...
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    Sean_F said:

Anyone know how accurate the you gov . London poll was wrt the actual votes????

I've not done the number crunching, but I think the Labour lead was more like 15% than 22%. Strange as it may seem, London swung from Labour, compared to last Jue.
    It would be interesting to see the swings for each London borough from 2014 and 2010 and London constituency from 2017 and 2010.

There's a lot of variation across the city.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

Middle class alert.

Thoughts?

Sounds like very high salt levels for a three year old.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Well, that was a long couple of days in Newcastle-under-Lyme. Unfortunately, because of the new boundaries, we haven't really been given credit for taking a notionally LAB majority to NOC - results are Lab 20 (-3) Con 18 (+3) LD 3 (-) Ind 3 (+3) UKIP 0 (-3). We took over running the council (on the old boundaries) shortly before Christmas after the independents on the council withdrew support from Labour over the election fiasco (amongst other things).

Personally I was pleased that we managed to gain a seat in the ward I was detailed to help with - one of three Lab/Con split wards today, which just goes to show how tight it is up here.
  • Options

Could it be the same thing that caused hundreds of Corbynista racist tweets about Sajid Javid? (Which, despite Labour's claims to be against racism, have failed to raise a single condemnation from Corbyn, Abbott or Mcdonnell. Or, indeed, any words of condemnation from Theuniondivvie.)
    I'm not a Labour supporter.

Of course if you feel that supporters of a party should be the first to condemn the behaviour of other supporters (or in fact elected reps) of that party, knock yourself out sport.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited May 2018
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

pedant alert - CGT allowance is 11.7k

Also if you are married, can't you gift some to your spouse and then they use their CGT allowance too?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,950

Well, that was a long couple of days in Newcastle-under-Lyme. Unfortunately, because of the new boundaries, we haven't really been given credit for taking a notionally LAB majority to NOC - results are Lab 20 (-3) Con 18 (+3) LD 3 (-) Ind 3 (+3) UKIP 0 (-3). We took over running the council (on the old boundaries) shortly before Christmas after the independents on the council withdrew support from Labour over the election fiasco (amongst other things).

Personally I was pleased that we managed to gain a seat in the ward I was detailed to help with - one of three Lab/Con split wards today, which just goes to show how tight it is up here.

Well done Mr Price!
  • Options

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Also if you are married, can't you gift some to your spouse and then they use their CGT allowance too?
    I still have a 6 figure tax loss from my bank shares that I was given in lieu of cash... don’t focus on the capital gains tax allowance!

And Max isn’t married. Yet....
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    For lovers of Cockney Rhyming slang.

https://twitter.com/gimblemusk/status/992494542736777216
  • Options
    I don't like the current Labour party but I really hope they wipe out the offshoots in Tower Hamlets. One area I wouldn't mind them doing well. What a mess.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

I still have a 6 figure tax loss from my bank shares that I was given in lieu of cash... don’t focus on the capital gains tax allowance!

There's an incentive then.... good IHT planning too of course....

It's worth noting that as your calcn shows the CGT rate max is 20% not 28% which is pretty kind I think (only resi property is up to 28%).

Just fyi Sipp option is only possible if got UK earned income to cover the amount to be paid in.

CGT losses are VERY handy in their flexibility, just use what you need - along with your CGT allowance - and carry the rest on indefinitely for (hopefully) future taxable gains.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,859

How does one define a 'progressive alliance'? No parties are natural bedfellows, else they'd be in the same party (hell, even that doesn't lead to agreement on specific values and policies, progressive or not), and whether an agreement between other parties was progressive or not would depend on what policies they agreed to implement together, surely? Merely being not Tories wouldn't indicate shared progressiveism
  • Options
    surby said:

As you were, then...

Labour's vote share was up by 4% on 2014; the Conservatives' by 6%. London swung to Labour, non-London to the Conservatives.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,075
    edited May 2018

Progressive/Marxist Alliance of Labour, LD, SNP and Greens with Corbyn as PM opposed by Tories still largest party led by hard Brexiteer Leader of the Opposition Jacob Rees Mogg and allied with the DUP?
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    kle4 said:

How does one define a 'progressive alliance'? No parties are natural bedfellows, else they'd be in the same party (hell, even that doesn't lead to agreement on specific values and policies, progressive or not), and whether an agreement between other parties was progressive or not would depend on what policies they agreed to implement together, surely? Merely being not Tories wouldn't indicate shared progressiveism
    It's simple. You have baby-eating tory scum, and the progressive alliance.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Progressive as defined earlier today in the context of Paul Mason.....?
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    I have a new level respect for Dominic Raab after he stood up for his secretary here:

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/politics/news/94860/dominic-raab-insists-diary-secretary-sex-scandal-storm-teacup
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

It's worth noting that as your calcn shows the CGT rate max is 20% not 28% which is pretty kind I think (only resi property is up to 28%).

Just fyi Sipp option is only possible if got UK earned income to cover the amount to be paid in.

CGT losses are VERY handy in their flexibility, just use what you need - along with your CGT allowance - and carry the rest on indefinitely for (hopefully) future taxable gains.

I’m hoping to be able to use a lot of them this tax year. Watch this space.
  • Options
    I'm pleased Peter Golds held his seat.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

I’m hoping to be able to use a lot of them this tax year. Watch this space.
    floating a popcorn selling company?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,336
    Anyone who is deluded enough to believe the EPL has a high standard really should watch Man U, a team still likely to come second and who have made the FA Cup final. They are atrocious. Players like Pogba, earning £200k a week, find it too difficult to pass the ball to their own teammates. It is pathetic.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    HYUFD said:

Progressive/Marxist Alliance of Labour, LD, SNP and Greens with Corbyn as PM opposed by Tories still largest party led by hard Brexiteer Leader of the Opposition Jacob Rees Mogg and allied with the DUP?
    While the stench of Jew hate racism hangs over Corbyn's LAB the LDs won't go near them. I doubt if the SNP will either
  • Options
    edited May 2018

HYUFD said:

While the stench of Jew hate racism hangs over Corbyn's LAB the LDs won't go near them. I doubt if the SNP will either
    Given a choice between making Rees-Mogg PM or Corbyn PM who do you think the LDs would choose? In that case I think they would prop up Corbyn, if May still remains Tory leader they may give her confidence and supply while Corbyn is the alternative.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862
    edited May 2018
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Given a choice between making Rees-Mogg PM or Corbyn PM who do you think the LDs would choose?
    Speaking as a Tory turned LD, that is a horrible choice.
    I’d probably have to go RM. At least he wouldn’t bankrupt the country.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,337
    DavidL said:

Anyone who is deluded enough to believe the EPL has a high standard really should watch Man U, a team still likely to come second and who have made the FA Cup final. They are atrocious. Players like Pogba, earning £200k a week, find it too difficult to pass the ball to their own teammates. It is pathetic.

They are embarrassing. Pogba is dreadful but Sanchez has not been much better.

Brighton showed them how to play with lots of effort and quite a lot of skill
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Given a choice between making Rees-Mogg PM or Corbyn PM who do you think the LDs would choose?
    Really tough choice....Trump cheer leader vs. Anti-Semite apologist....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It may be a horrible choice but with RM the Tory members' favourite to succeed May it might be the choice facing the LDs in a few years time, interesting you went with RM.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,873
    Evening all :)

In Newham, the Labour dominance continues unchecked. After winning the Mayoralty by 73-12 over the Conservatives, Labour walked off with all 60 Council seats winning 74% of the vote to the Conservatives 15%.

Only Labour and the Conservatives put up full slates but Labour scored above 60% in every Ward bar one which I'll come back to. In seven of the twenty Newham Council Wards, Labour scored over 80% of the vote with the highest being Little Ilford where the three Labour seats beat the three Conservative candidates by 88% to 12%.

Beckton, Custom House and Royal Docks had Labour winning percentages of 64-65% but Labour's weakest performance came in Stratford & New Town where the three winning candidates scored just 55%.

Lib Dem Gareth Evans was fourth and the only non-Labour candidate anywhere in the Borough to get more than 10% of the vote. The three LD candidates got 20% of the vote and the three Conservatives 17%. The best non-Labour performance collectively was in Royal Docks where the Conservative candidates polled 21%.

The Greens finished second in the two Forest Gate Wards but a very long way behind Labour (as indeed everyone was).

Turnout was 36% for the Mayoral election.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It may be a horrible choice but with RM the Tory members' favourite to succeed May it might be the choice facing the LDs in a few years time, interesting you went with RM.
    He'll have to get through the MP's ballot first.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Given a choice between making Rees-Mogg PM or Corbyn PM who do you think the LDs would choose? In that case I think they would prop up Corbyn, if May still remains Tory leader they may give her confidence and supply while Corbyn is the alternative.
    Most unlikely the LDs would lift a finger to prop up the Tories. Post Coalition they will be desperate to restore some credibility with centre-left voters. The 'Tories' Little Helpers' label continues to haunt them.
  • Options
    They are half way in Tower Hamlets

10 out of 20 wards declared
  • Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

In Newham, the Labour dominance continues unchecked. After winning the Mayoralty by 73-12 over the Conservatives, Labour walked off with all 60 Council seats winning 74% of the vote to the Conservatives 15%.

Only Labour and the Conservatives put up full slates but Labour scored above 60% in every Ward bar one which I'll come back to. In seven of the twenty Newham Council Wards, Labour scored over 80% of the vote with the highest being Little Ilford where the three Labour seats beat the three Conservative candidates by 88% to 12%.

Beckton, Custom House and Royal Docks had Labour winning percentages of 64-65% but Labour's weakest performance came in Stratford & New Town where the three winning candidates scored just 55%.

Lib Dem Gareth Evans was fourth and the only non-Labour candidate anywhere in the Borough to get more than 10% of the vote. The three LD candidates got 20% of the vote and the three Conservatives 17%. The best non-Labour performance collectively was in Royal Docks where the Conservative candidates polled 21%.

The Greens finished second in the two Forest Gate Wards but a very long way behind Labour (as indeed everyone was).

Turnout was 36% for the Mayoral election.

thank you for the update.

How did LEAVE do so well in Newham (for a London council) ? Such Labour dominance, yet many ignored the message.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I admire your optimism.
    nunuone said:

Really tough choice....Trump cheer leader vs. Anti-Semite apologist Trump-lite...

Fixed it for you :smile:
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

HYUFD said:

Would you put a price on that claim ?
  • Options
    The East London Advertiser is desperately trying to make it exciting...or it is a way not to fall asleep

RESULTS: Lansbury elects (drum roll)...
    1. Abdul Chowdhury (Lab; 2,140 votes)
    2. Muhammad Harun (Lab; 1,868)
    3. Rebecca White (Lab; 1,839)
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,337
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

He'll have to get through the MP's ballot first.
    And then me !!!!!
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    DavidL said:

Here's some passing for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOB7pcqBH-Y
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Most unlikely the LDs would lift a finger to prop up the Tories. Post Coalition they will be desperate to restore some credibility with centre-left voters. The 'Tories' Little Helpers' label continues to haunt them.
    Totally agree , however the smell of a ministerial car , their minds go to mush.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,859

HYUFD said:

That seems incredibly unlikely. Particularly as full coalition might be unnecessary, making it easier to support on a budgetary basis while being able to disavow any particular issues either the LDs or SNP wanted to.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

That seems incredibly unlikely. Particularly as full coalition might be unnecessary, making it easier to support on a budgetary basis while being able to disavow any particular issues either the LDs or SNP wanted to.
    Correct.
  • Options
    William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346

HYUFD said:

They got in bed with the far more racist conservative party.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,950
    edited May 2018
    Why does it always take so long to count votes in Tower Hamlets?
This discussion has been closed.