Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The very early results show the Tories doing well and being op

Comments

• Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,888
    One Lab councillor has already resigned from he party, and they are playing down Hillingdon gains according to Beeb.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Labour gain Witney East
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359
    Chameleon said:

One Lab councillor has already resigned from he party, and they are playing down Hillingdon gains according to Beeb.

More Momentum/Anti-Semitism.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Full results from Tamworth. Con won 8 seats, Labour 1. One seat is delayed by the death of a candidate a few weeks ago.

http://www.tamworth.gov.uk/sites/default/files/misc_docs/Local_Election_Results_2018.pdf
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,972

Labour gain Witney East

Is that where Cameron lives ?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    Tory on Sky saying they are confident they haven't lost much ground in Westminster and will definitely hold the council.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,126
    Pulpstar said:

Labour gain Witney East

Is that where Cameron lives ?
    Wasn't it Chipping Norton ?
  • Options
    Amber Valley so far

3 Con gains from Lab
    1 Lab gain from Con
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Labour gain Witney East

I think that another councillor in that district is already Labour. Oxfordshire isn't exactly heartland Tory land since 2016. NOC since 2013. Wealthy, relatively metropolitan, w/ links to London, and pro-remain are all trending away from Con.
  • Options
    Salford : Lab gain Walkden South from Con
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    About 10% of the results are in, and up on the BBC website
  • Options

Amber Valley so far

3 Con gains from Lab
    1 Lab gain from Con

A BJO effect ?
  • Options
    Sadiq Khan not sounding particularly confident in Wandsworth on BBC1.
  • Options
    After holding 3 of their seats in recounts...Labour managed to gain a Con seat in Chorley (Clayton-le-Woods & Cuerden)...obviously on a recount
  • Options

That isn't Iain Lindley being defeated?
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/992196647282266112

Shocking /s. Pretty much entirely students.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312
    I'm hearing rymorum that the leader of Derby city council could be losing his seat. Locally Labour is not popular. Ukip came second in his seat in 2014 so not looking good for the council overall.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Wera Hobhouse is rubbish spokesperson for the LibDems. Drowning on Sky News.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884

Amber Valley so far

3 Con gains from Lab
    1 Lab gain from Con

A BJO effect ?
    Looks like Con Hold
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

He was elected in 2015.
  • Options
    it is his ward but he wasn't up this year. He was re-elected in 2015
    AndyJS said:

• Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Chameleon said:

Tbf, if we are going on that kind of thing, then none of the results so far are that shocking. Metropolitan, studenty, Remainey areas going Labour and Brexity and Leave areas going Tory. If Labour take Trafford then it won’t be a surprise either.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Con hold Amber Valley.

Changes: Con+2, Lab-2.

Not a final result.
  • Options

Chameleon said:

Tbf, if we are going on that kind of thing, then none of the results so far are that shocking. Metropolitan, studenty, Remainey areas going Labour and Brexity and Leave areas going Tory. If Labour take Trafford then it won’t be a surprise either.
    The one notable thing about that for me is that the Greens are nowhere to be seen. It really shows how Lab have moved in and swept up so much of their support among the young.
  • Options
    Labour gaining a seat in Cameron's former constituency of Witney but doing badly in Nuneaton & Bedworth. Modern British politics in a nutshell.
  • Options
    GazGaz Posts: 45
    Just been re-elected.... :)
    Tories winning here.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Gaz said:

Tories winning here.

Congratulations!
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    Gaz said:

Tories winning here.

Congratulations.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    The BBC were maybe too hasty in saying Labour would gain Trafford earlier. Seems like it'll be NOC
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Labour gaining a seat in Cameron's former constituency of Witney but doing badly in Nuneaton & Bedworth. Modern British politics in a nutshell.

But Labour gained in the town of Witney not the posh rural bits.

We could be seeing small towns trend leftwards in the South but to the Conservatives further North.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,972
    Ffsake Trafford to NOC most likely. No good for the pocket !
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,498
    The nice thing about Tories gain Kersal is it means the Conservatives have a ward inside the M60.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,953
    edited May 2018
    Gaz said:

Tories winning here.

Congrats!
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Chameleon said:

The one notable thing about that for me is that the Greens are nowhere to be seen. It really shows how Lab have moved in and swept up so much of their support among the young.
    The Greens need to look for some different voters, maybe those people who voted LibDem and then UKIP.
  • Options
    "Labour has conceded defeat in Kensington and Chelsea and said there is little chance of the party taking control of the council, despite the Conservative administration’s chaotic handling of the Grenfell Tower disaster.

“We have piled up votes in Labour-held wards,” said Labour group leader Robert Atkinson, insisting his party’s gains would be limited because the Conservatives have managed to “frighten out” their vote across the west London borough."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2018/may/03/local-elections-council-england-2018-tories-labour-corbyn-may
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    Cons have gained 5 in Walsall. 1 more gives control
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    edited May 2018
    So far overall position Lab -12 Con +51

I predict by the end of the count Lab will be up by more than Con

What do people think.

Not staying up though

Goodnight
  • Options

AndyJS said:

We could be seeing small towns trend leftwards in the South but to the Conservatives further North.
    The town of Witney is very middle-class.
  • Options
    Gaz said:

Tories winning here.

Congratulations
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"Labour has conceded defeat in Kensington and Chelsea and said there is little chance of the party taking control of the council, despite the Conservative administration’s chaotic handling of the Grenfell Tower disaster.

“We have piled up votes in Labour-held wards,” said Labour group leader Robert Atkinson, insisting his party’s gains would be limited because the Conservatives have managed to “frighten out” their vote across the west London borough."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2018/may/03/local-elections-council-england-2018-tories-labour-corbyn-may

Ah yes, fear will keep the local residents in line. Fear of Corbyn's Britain.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    Don't think this was in the script:

https://twitter.com/CCHQPress/status/992193045834665984
  • Options
    Nuneaton is the kind of marginal Labour should win...said Owen Jones a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

But townie middle class not rural middle class.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

But townie middle class not rural middle class.
    Probably not much middle class regression in the town of Witney...
  • Options
    Labour may have made a tactical error in so successfully pushing Amber Rudd out of her job to be replaced by Sajid Javid. It may have been better for them if she was still clinging on to her job by her fingertips on election day.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Gaz said:

Tories winning here.

Well done you!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052

What do people think.

Not staying up though

Goodnight

I think that the Conservatives will end up over 100 seats nationwide, despite taking a beating in Richmond Upon Thames.

I think the LDs will be up 30-60. And Labour will be up marginally, probably less than 25 seats.

Before the election, I said Con +80, Lab +80, LDs +15. This is a good night for the Conservatives and the LDs, and a bad one for Labour.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Labour may have made a tactical error in so successfully pushing Amber Rudd out of her job to be replaced by Sajid Javid. It may have been better for them if she was still clinging on to her job by her fingertips on election day.

I have to say, I have my doubts that anyone was voting on the issue of Amber Rudd’s resignation. It seems that the same Brexit factors which influenced 2017 are at play here in 2018. It’s why Wasall, an area which voted Leave by quite a large margin has swung to the Tories.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

What do people think.

Not staying up though

Goodnight

I think that the Conservatives will end up over 100 seats nationwide, despite taking a beating in Richmond Upon Thames.

I think the LDs will be up 30-60. And Labour will be up marginally, probably less than 25 seats.

Before the election, I said Con +80, Lab +80, LDs +15. This is a good night for the Conservatives and the LDs, and a bad one for Labour.
    So, just to confirm, thats a terrrrrrible night for the Tories?
  • Options
    GazGaz Posts: 45
    Yewdale carlisle con gain. A seat I lost by 12 votes in 2008....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

What do people think.

Not staying up though

Goodnight

So, just to confirm, thats a terrrrrrible night for the Tories?
    That's what I meant, a terrrrrrrible night for the Tories :)
  • Options
    I’ve got to say, I didn’t vote in the local elections - the first time I haven’t voted in an election where I could have. I found everyone pretty disappointing.
  • Options
    I go to bed

Wirral unchanged

Con making gains in Dudley

Labour had a couple of gains in Southport so far
  • Options

I go to bed

Wirral unchanged

Con making gains in Dudley

Labour had a couple of gains in Southport so far

Thanks Andrea for your help with the results.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    Lol@Labour! :)
  • Options
    Has anybody told Jon Lansmann that the Rolf Harris tribute act isn't a good look.
  • Options
    Surprising result in Peterborough: Con gain from NOC despite the fact that Labour gained the parliamentary constituency last year.
  • Options
    I can't remember where the 5 areas are that where piloting the Voter ID thing. have the results in there areas been declared, was tern-out down compared to the rest of the areas, did it have an effect on the results in these areas, or is it to early to tell?
  • Options
    BigRich said:

I can't remember where the 5 areas are that where piloting the Voter ID thing. have the results in there areas been declared, was tern-out down compared to the rest of the areas, did it have an effect on the results in these areas, or is it to early to tell?

Swindon was one, there was a report on the BBC website saying turnout was up a touch in the first few wards.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    From the rarely Tory-friendly Wakefield Express reporter:

https://twitter.com/DavidSpereall/status/992200375854862336
  • Options
    Tories take control of Dudley council.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    One message so far from some of the UK regions for the Labour leadership is that it is too London-centric.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Swindon was one of them. I'll try and find out what the turnout was.
  • Options
    RobD said:

BigRich said:

Swindon was one, there was a report on the BBC website saying turnout was up a touch in the first few wards.
    Intresting
  • Options

Has anybody told Jon Lansmann that the Rolf Harris tribute act isn't a good look.

I was wondering who that was. Impressive beard.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

RobD said:

BigRich said:

Intresting
    http://www.bbc.com/news/topics/c82wmn481ynt/swindon-borough-council

Under "No Significant Impact", by Sir John.
  • Options
    RobD said:

BigRich said:

RobD said:

BigRich said:

Intresting
    http://www.bbc.com/news/topics/c82wmn481ynt/swindon-borough-council

Under "No Significant Impact", by Sir John.
    Thanks for the link
  • Options
    Con have taken Peterborough.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875

One message so far from some of the UK regions for the Labour leadership is that it is too London-centric.

Next you'll be telling us that Plaid Cymru is too Wales-centric! Labour is an Islington protest party that got way out of hand.
  • Options
    The folk of the West Midlands don't seem very keen on the messiah.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    NEV suggests the Cons are about 3% ahead.
  • Options

Will no one speak up for the terrrrrible night for the Tories?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

The folk of the West Midlands don't seem very keen on the messiah.

He isn't the messiah, he's a very lefty boy
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,113
    edited May 2018
    Just got back from Epping Forest DC count, in the end the LDs held my ward of Epping Hemnall quite comfortably but I did at least increase the number of Tory votes to 554 from 420 in 2014.

The Tories also held Epping Lindsey and Thornwood by just 30 votes after the LDs flung everything at it in a tight battle later in the day
  • Options
    blueblue said:

Next you'll be telling us that Plaid Cymru is too Wales-centric! Labour is an Islington protest party that got way out of hand.
    LOL
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    HYUFD said:

Just got back from Epping Forest DC count, in the end the LDs won my ward of Epping Hemnall quite comfortably but I did at least increase the number of Tory votes to 554 from 420 in 2014.

The Tories also held Epping Lindsay and Thornwood by just 30 votes after the LDs flung everything at it in a tight battle later in the day

Commiserations, better luck in the next battle!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Nationally looks like Tories up about 58 seats nationally, LDs up 12, Labour down 13, Greens up 2 and UKIP down 66.

So overall a good night for the Tories, LDs and Greens so far, a relatively bad result for Labour and a terrible night for UKIP.
  • Options
    Politics really is unpredictable. People though the Tories would win a majority last year, didn’t happen. Today, people thought Labour would smash it - but it seems like they are playing down expectations even in areas in London. Next time, I’ll make sure to be sceptical about what the ‘expected’ result is! Turnout is reportedly quite low tonight - wonder if Labour aren’t getting out their voters. If so, they are going to have to hope that it’s just that they can’t be brothered to vote in locals, but will be there during the GE. Mood music is going to be very bad for Labour tomorrow, not that Corbyn will care - the mood music has been bad for him for most of his time as Labour leader. PLP will feel terrible, but even more so that Corbyn’s not going anywhere.

Night night.
  • Options
    It looks for the BBC website that UKIP have not retained any of there seats so far, perhaps having 5 leaders in 2 years was not a good move?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Just got back from Epping Forest DC count, in the end the LDs won my ward of Epping Hemnall quite comfortably but I did at least increase the number of Tory votes to 554 from 420 in 2014.

The Tories also held Epping Lindsay and Thornwood by just 30 votes after the LDs flung everything at it in a tight battle later in the day

Congratulations on increasing your vote. How did Labour do?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Just got back from Epping Forest DC count, in the end the LDs held my ward of Epping Hemnall quite comfortably but I did at least increase the number of Tory votes to 554 from 420 in 2014.

Well fought; heres to next time!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    HYUFD said:

Well done on increasing your vote.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The Tories also held Epping Lindsey and Thornwood by just 30 votes after the LDs flung everything at it in a tight battle later in the day

Good effort!
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    Mortimer said:

I'm sure the London media will, once the results come in. And there have been off-spots already for the Tories in the south. The country's political baseline is changing.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

It looks for the BBC website that UKIP have not retained any of there seats so far, perhaps having 5 leaders in 2 years was not a good move?

I'd be amazed if they win a seat anywhere. UKIP and BNP wiped out on the same night.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Congratulations on increasing your vote. How did Labour do?
    Thanks, Labour got 176 votes in my ward
  • Options
    McDonnell is really struggling to parrot out his new lines to cover up the failure of Labour to move forward.

On the one hand he says you can't extrapolate from local to national performance and then says the results are showing that the national polls are right. You can't have it both ways.

He is really being riled by Claire Perry. It is fun to see her needle him.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

I'm sure the London media will, once the results come in. And there have been off-spots already for the Tories in the south. The country's political baseline is changing.
    Sky giving it a good go....its terrible because Brexit, yadda yadda yadda....
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

As predicted by Rallings & Thrasher.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Well done.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Well fought; heres to next time!
    Yes, though I think I am going to focus on the main town council elections next year rather than District if I do stand again
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I am not surprised by these results at all - and suspect that party alleigances are much looser anyway nowadays in the context of Local Elections. Labour has played the expectations game poorly this time.
  • Options
    Just flicked over and McIRA is screaming "THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE"....what has been said?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Sean_F said:

As predicted by Rallings & Thrasher.
    And broadly in line with recent poling.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Well done on increasing your vote.
    Thanks
  • Options
    McDonnell really got hot under the collar just now. Very aggressive body language. He can't cope with a woman answering him back.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

HYUFD said:

Good effort!
    Thankyou
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    It's not surprising that Labour aren't improving in areas that were moving away from them last year. They haven't changed anything, same leader, same shadow cabinet, same policies, they think running the same campaign and government fatigue will see them home next time.
This discussion has been closed.