Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The London elections’ betting edges from LAB after reports of

13»

Comments

• Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Have the Remainers on here been expressing outrage about the EU's leading light Macron cosying up big time to Trump?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061
    Scott_P said:
    A mighty trio, to be sure, but any others want to have a go?

Honestly I haven't previously had an issue with Rudd, but she has understandably taken hits lately.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,864
    kle4 said:

Floater said:

Foxy said:

Looked at the other way, think how fantastic our UK health care could be if we spent 17.2% of our GDP like the US but delivered it largely through a not-for-profit service like the NHS.
    Alternatively we could reduce our health spending to that of Chile, Iceland or South Korea - all countries which have a longer life expectancy than the UK.

Law of diminishing returns applies to health spending.
    There isnt a great relationship between health care spend and longevity. UK life expectancy is higher than the US or Germany for example, and Albania is only a few places behind the USA. The major determinats of longevity are lifestyle related.
    Certainly - we could reduce health spending by 50% or increase it by 50% with probably little effect on longevity.

And you could reduce all the healthy lifestyle advice down to these ten words:

East and drink moderately. No smoking. Exercise regularly. Avoid stress.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/25/majority-children-now-overweight-areas-official-data-reveals/

Is that right 8 out of 10 of unhealthiest areas in UK are in London?
    No - 9 out of 10 of the areas with highest child obesity are in London.
    I find the rapid expansion of fast food chains like KFC and Dominos over the past 5-10 years really quite shocking. It is like the US now where in urban areas you can't go more than a few miles without seeing one.

Apparently Dominos already has over 1000 stores and wants 1600 within the next couple of years.
    I was on a cruise last year and went on an excursion with the founder of Dominos and his wife.
    Did you ask him how he managed to forge a profitable business out an utterly sh*te product? :wink:

(I know the answer - you'd be far too polite for that, and rightly so. But honestly, even every cheap frozen supermarket pizza is better than dominos IMO!)
    I like Dominos pizza. I know I don't exactly have a refined palette, but I don't get the antipathy people hold for its products. And as an occasional purchaser of cheap frozen pizza, Dominos is far superior.
    You clearly can't be the only one who feels that way - they must be doing something right!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

I wonder if the rise of grotty takeaways in urban areas is inversely proportional to the amount of kitchen space per person.

You might well be onto something there. My other half definitely prefers cooking now we have a decent size kitchen.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Honestly I haven't previously had an issue with Rudd, but she has understandably taken hits lately.
    Terrible if those three do turn out to be the choice.

Rudd is a bungler. Gove lacks judgment. Williamson is a popinjay.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

You clearly can't be the only one who feels that way - they must be doing something right!

Well of course many things that are popular are objectively not of high quality, but I've eaten a lot of crap in my time, so I feel more confident in judging the crap. (Had some Papa Johns a little while back as one opened in the town - it was appreciably worse than the Dominoes)

We used to have these terrible Tesco value burgers when I was young - they used to inflate as they were being grilled, and seemed to have the meat content of a sheet of paper. Good times.

But I'll stop there before this becomes Four Yorkshiremen sketch.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

Have the Remainers on here been expressing outrage about the EU's leading light Macron cosying up big time to Trump?

Outrage about Macron’s obloquy of every Trump policy? Why so?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Well of course many things that are popular are objectively not of high quality, but I've eaten a lot of crap in my time, so I feel more confident in judging the crap. (Had some Papa Johns a little while back as one opened in the town - it was appreciably worse than the Dominoes)

We used to have these terrible Tesco value burgers when I was young - they used to inflate as they were being grilled, and seemed to have the meat content of a sheet of paper. Good times.

Haha... You could afford meat?!
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    There's a NEW THREAD btw

Seems to be mainly a discussion of ordinal numbers so far :smile:
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    kle4 said:

Well of course many things that are popular are objectively not of high quality, but I've eaten a lot of crap in my time, so I feel more confident in judging the crap.

I nearly severed a finger trying to prise two frozen Tesco value burgers apart with a knife.

Required trip to A&E and never recovered sensation in the tip. Oo er.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Haha... You could afford meat?!
    I never said we purchased them :)
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019

Outrage about Macron’s obloquy of every Trump policy? Why so?
    Nah, I was thinking of Macron firing missiles when Trump told him to and also holding hands. Our PM seemed to get lots of criticism for those things, but Macron not so. Might that be because he's the new darling of the EU.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,231

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

A nice graph showing health spending in OECD countries:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/healthcaresystem/bulletins/ukhealthaccounts/2016#international-comparisons

Medical care in the USA must be a real money making scam.

Looked at the other way, think how fantastic our UK health care could be if we spent 17.2% of our GDP like the US but delivered it largely through a not-for-profit service like the NHS.
    Alternatively we could reduce our health spending to that of Chile, Iceland or South Korea - all countries which have a longer life expectancy than the UK.

There isnt a great relationship between health care spend and longevity. UK life expectancy is higher than the US or Germany for example, and Albania is only a few places behind the USA. The major determinats of longevity are lifestyle related.
    Certainly - we could reduce health spending by 50% or increase it by 50% with probably little effect on longevity.

So far so good, but also pretty useless.

Who doesn't know the above already? who doesn't know that fat, sugar, salt, smoking, and laziness are bad for us?

What we need is health policy to make taking the unhealthy option the difficult one, and the healthy alternative the default option. The food business will scream blue murder.
    I'd like to see membership of gyms, health clubs etc made a tax deductible expense.

But I may have a vested interest in that :wink:
    There should be a special tax on people driving to a gym. To get on a running machine, FFS!
  • Options

kle4 said:

Well of course many things that are popular are objectively not of high quality, but I've eaten a lot of crap in my time, so I feel more confident in judging the crap.

I nearly severed a finger trying to prise two frozen Tesco value burgers apart with a knife.

Required trip to A&E and never recovered sensation in the tip. Oo er.
    Er... that's not a finger. :smile:
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    kle4 said:

Now that would be cutting for him I'd think - I suspect if ever there was a president who yearned for the pomp and ceremony it would be him.

They've probably explained to Trump, in very simple words, that there wouldn't be crowds waving flags as he passed by in a carriage.

I'm sure the Met are much happier to have a low-key visit. May probably regrets inviting the berk in the first place.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

It's bloody depressing that those three are even in the running. God help us if any of them are the alternative to Jezza.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

A nice graph showing health spending in OECD countries:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/healthcaresystem/bulletins/ukhealthaccounts/2016#international-comparisons

Medical care in the USA must be a real money making scam.

So far so good, but also pretty useless.

Who doesn't know the above already? who doesn't know that fat, sugar, salt, smoking, and laziness are bad for us?

What we need is health policy to make taking the unhealthy option the difficult one, and the healthy alternative the default option. The food business will scream blue murder.
    I'd like to see membership of gyms, health clubs etc made a tax deductible expense.

But I may have a vested interest in that :wink:
    There should be a special tax on people driving to a gym. To get on a running machine, FFS!
    Double taxation on those that do their hair or make-up beforehand and then live stream their sessions on Instagram / snapchat...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Who decided he was a “big beast”? The other 2 are in a different league

I suspect that the leak came from GW
This discussion has been closed.