Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TMay falls further behind Corbyn in latest YouGov favourabilit

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited November 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TMay falls further behind Corbyn in latest YouGov favourability ratings

Follow @MSmithsonPB // < ![CDATA[ // < ![CDATA[ xfunction(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs"); // ]]>

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Boris = history. And quite right too.
  • Options
    I second my own motion, to guard against Vanilla eating it.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Curious that Vince Cable's score has gone down so sharply, from -15 to -24. I'm not aware of him doing anything of any significance in September or October.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,487
    edited November 2017
    From these figures we can probably infer the Labour lead is greater than the 3% headline figure.

Poor Boris, I did advise you all to keep laying him as next PM/Tory leader.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Curious that Vince Cable's score has gone down so sharply, from -15 to -24. I'm not aware of him doing anything of any significance in September or October.

Net unfavourable rating amongst 'remain' voters.

Brutal.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311

It could of course be that his failure to do absolutely anything is a part of the problem. He makes the invisible man look really high profile.
  • Options
    Very sobering stuff on Brexit from UK car people in the Commons this afternoon. Put simply, No Deal kills the industry off over here to a very large extent.
  • Options
    Not huge moves. Corbyn's line moves less than May's. Probably good for the Conservatives if (and it's a great big 'if') they can get someone sensible to replace her.
  • Options

Very sobering stuff on Brexit from UK car people in the Commons this afternoon. Put simply, No Deal kills the industry off over here to a very large extent.

Well I look forward to driving a British Leyland car, my father says you haven't lived until you've driven an Austin Allegro.
  • Options

Again one has to distinguish 'no deal' from 'no trade deal'. They are quite different things, and the media and politicians should not conflate the two.

But yes, you are right that the car industry is the major sector which has most to lose from Brexit. That has been obvious since well before the referendum.
  • Options

Again one has to distinguish 'no deal' from 'no trade deal'. They are quite different things, and the media and politicians should not conflate the two.

But yes, you are right that the car industry is the major sector which has most to lose from Brexit. That has been obvious since well before the referendum.
    I still do wonder what Mrs May offered Nissan.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

The EU is using every dirty trick in the book to cause immense harm to us. Their threats are closer to a declaration of war than they are a negotiation.

• Options

Something she can't deliver, I expect.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,727

What's the difference as far as the car industry is concerned? And how are we likely to get a deal without a trade deal?
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Along with most other industries, agriculture and quite a bit of services as well.

Project fear were wrong - it will be much worse than they predicted.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Well I look forward to driving a British Leyland car, my father says you haven't lived until you've driven an Austin Allegro.

Been there, done that. Square steering wheel and all.
  • Options

I reckon if they pull out of the/relocate from the UK that might be a tipping point for Mrs May and her government.

The vox pops from Sunderland will be interesting.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It could of course be that his failure to do absolutely anything is a part of the problem. He makes the invisible man look really high profile.
    Part of the reason for electing Strong and Cable was that his Twickenham constituency was within easy reach of all the major media studios in London !!
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    edited November 2017

Even with some sort of FTA deal, i suspect there is little long term future for international car manufacturers basing themselves in the UK to export to the EU. Car manufacturing is too political for a company to not have a national government backing them up where all the regulatory decisions are made. Plant will be ran down in the UK, with little new investment.
  • Options

The EU is using every dirty trick in the book to cause immense harm to us. Their threats are closer to a declaration of war than they are a negotiation.

That's the spirit.

• Options

What are those dirty tricks?
  • Options

With Corbynism on the rise, it won't be long...
  • Options

If only someone had warned that Vote Leave's have cake and eat it approach was bollocks.
  • Options
    Rachel Reeves is very smart. No surprise the Corbynistas don't want her anywhere near the Labour front bench.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    edited November 2017

Not huge moves. Corbyn's line moves less than May's. Probably good for the Conservatives if (and it's a great big 'if') they can get someone sensible to replace her.

That`s a real challenge, isn`t it? After all, the best person they can come up with for Foreign Secretary is Boris Johnson. All the other Tory MPs are considered to be even worse. That takes some doing!
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Grow up. Leave assured us a new trade deal would be easy and we'd have nothing to fear.
  • Options

Still clinging to the "German car makers will force Merkel to give us a deal, they need us more than we need them" delusion all the way down I see.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Part of the reason for electing Strong and Cable was that his Twickenham constituency was within easy reach of all the major media studios in London !!
    I honestly wonder if he has been unwell. He has never been exactly shy about getting himself on the media before.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

What's the difference as far as the car industry is concerned? And how are we likely to get a deal without a trade deal?

'No deal' would be things like no agreement on vehicle type approval, meaning UK-built cars could not be legally sold in the EU from the day after Brexit. 'No trade deal' would mean that we amicably sorted out all that cliff-edge stuff, but reverted to WTO tariffs. The latter would still be a big problem for the car industry, mainly because of its impact on the just-in-time supply chain, but it wouldn't be total catastrophe like the former.

As to how likely the two possibilities are, it's an extremely good question, which commentators haven't really explored. I don't know the answer.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Grow up. Leave assured us a new trade deal would be easy

The easiest Trade Deal in history I believe...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,290

It's always someone else's fault; the pied pipers that led so many down this blind alley are never to blame.
  • Options

As to how likely the two possibilities are, it's an extremely good question, which commentators haven't really explored. I don't know the answer.

@faisalislam: Honda’s Patrick Keating tells @CommonsBeis that they are getting messages that Europe will not allow VCA type approvals post-Brexit/ no deal
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    edited November 2017

The UK exports approximately half a million cars a year to the EU. If government just put its hand in its pocket and compensated the industry at 1500 quid per car that would cost less than a billion pounds, yes I know WTO, but I am sure there are incentive schemes that would have the same value but not break the letter of those rules.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Even with some sort of FTA deal, i suspect there is little long term future for international car manufacturers basing themselves in the UK to export to the EU. Car manufacturing is too political for a company to not have a national government backing them up where all the regulatory decisions are made. Plant will be ran down in the UK, with little new investment.
    I suspect so too. You are either in the EU or you are cheap, like Morocco or Turkey. The UK will be neither.
  • Options
    Would we not have a rather better basis for not accepting VCAs or CoPs from Germany, particularly in respect of VW, than they would for not accepting ours?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, the referendum didn't happen in isolation. For decades, British politicians triangulated, making sceptical noises loudly whilst signing away vetoes whenever they were asked for them. It worked well for the centre, both red and blue, but you can't triangulate when the choice is binary, and the alternative, whilst far more comfortable in the short term, would present its own serious long term problems.

A Remain vote would've been played as a green light for more integration. Right now we'd be discussing 'British leadership' in the EU Army, whether we should adopt the single currency and so on.

There'd be no danger of a cliff edge, but there would be the reality of a frog being slowly boiled.

It would've been better if we'd left earlier, and I'm not delighted with any of the credible options (as I've said before, I hesitated rather more than I expected before voting).
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

JonathanD said:

Grow up. Leave assured us a new trade deal would be easy

The easiest Trade Deal in history I believe...

German car manufacturers will demand a deal because they need us more than we need them. They'll be desperate for an agreement. Sunlit uplands.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

It's always someone else's fault; the pied pipers that led so many down this blind alley are never to blame.
    The voters will see it as the EU being obstructive, that's the political reality never mind whose fault it really is, expect to see more union jacks and a swing to hard brexit in the polls ;)
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

I thought we were assured last week that an 11th hour deal would sort everything out? I recall the PB Leavers being most insistent about it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

I honestly wonder if he has been unwell. He has never been exactly shy about getting himself on the media before.
    He is 74 years old !
  • Options

FF43 said:

'No deal' would be things like no agreement on vehicle type approval, meaning UK-built cars could not be legally sold in the EU from the day after Brexit. 'No trade deal' would mean that we amicably sorted out all that cliff-edge stuff, but reverted to WTO tariffs. The latter would still be a big problem for the car industry, mainly because of its impact on the just-in-time supply chain, but it wouldn't be total catastrophe like the former.

I can see the theory but I don't see the practice. If things are amicable enough to fix things like VTAs they will be amicable enough for a trade deal that is in both parties' interest. Now I accept that is a big negotiating space so we can't be sure what the trade deal will actually be, but it will be a meaningful trade deal.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, the referendum didn't happen in isolation. For decades, British politicians triangulated, making sceptical noises loudly whilst signing away vetoes whenever they were asked for them. It worked well for the centre, both red and blue, but you can't triangulate when the choice is binary, and the alternative, whilst far more comfortable in the short term, would present its own serious long term problems.

A Remain vote would've been played as a green light for more integration. Right now we'd be discussing 'British leadership' in the EU Army, whether we should adopt the single currency and so on.

There'd be no danger of a cliff edge, but there would be the reality of a frog being slowly boiled.

It would've been better if we'd left earlier, and I'm not delighted with any of the credible options (as I've said before, I hesitated rather more than I expected before voting).

We had vetoes and opt outs on an EU army and the single currency, so no we wouldn't be having those discussions.

I'm looking forward to a hard/WTO Brexit, it will help force us to live within our means and take away all those needless tax credits to the working classes, they've had it too good for too long.
  • Options

For decades, British politicians triangulated, making sceptical noises loudly whilst signing away vetoes whenever they were asked for them.

Same tactic has been pulled on immigration to be perfectly honest. Particularly by the Tories.
  • Options

The UK exports approximately half a million cars a year to the EU. If government just put its hand in its pocket and compensated the industry at 1500 quid per car that would cost less than a billion pounds, yes I know WTO, but I am sure there are incentive schemes that would have the same value but not break the letter of those rules.
    But the issue is the supply chain - car manufacturers bring in parts from all over the place and then assemble them here - some components go in and out of the UK several times before finally ending up as part of a finished car. If tariffs have to be paid every time and there are delays for customs and "safety checks" arranged by those friendly French customs officials the whole thing seizes up.
  • Options

Tariffs are not the issue if the cars can't legally be sold because they are not recognised.

@faisalislam: @CommonsBEIS MP presses SMMT’s Hawes on German car manufacturers thing: “To put it in context - 56% of our exports go to Europe - 7% of theirs come here”
  • Options

If only someone had warned that Vote Leave's have cake and eat it approach was bollocks.
    The problem in a word is: infantility. Johnson, Verhofstadt, Farage and Barnier are behaving in a way which 20 years ago would have been unthinkable in a senior politician, because they have Twitter at their fingertips and the example of the POTUS to show how it's acceptable to use it. And the medium is the message here, and Twitter will bring us the disaster of the century because it has come down to a test of that arse Johnson's claim that the EU can whistle. I'd be happier with Blair and mandelson fronting our operation because I'd expect them to behave like adults.

Feck that sounds pompous, but it's true.
  • Options

We had vetoes and opt outs on an EU army and the single currency, so no we wouldn't be having those discussions.

I'm looking forward to a hard/WTO Brexit, it will help force us to live within our means and take away all those needless tax credits to the working classes, they've had it too good for too long.
    Tax credits should be abolished, along with landlord benefit and a whole bunch of other stuff too.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, agree entirely.

Mr. Eagles, yes, because the EU never tries to centralise more power...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It's not Vince Cable's fault that the media give him little coverage. The media don't give many serious politicians much coverage - they are mostly only interested in personality clashes.

For a thoughtful and interesting recent speech by Vince Cable, which got zero media coverage, see

https://www.libdemvoice.org/vince-only-lib-dems-offer-strategy-for-growth-and-prosperity-55803.html

• Options

Mr. Pulpstar, agree entirely.

Mr. Eagles, yes, because the EU never tries to centralise more power...

They try and we have vetoes and opt outs.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

The problem in a word is: infantility. Johnson, Verhofstadt, Farage and Barnier are behaving in a way which 20 years ago would have been unthinkable in a senior politician, because they have Twitter at their fingertips and the example of the POTUS to show how it's acceptable to use it. And the medium is the message here, and Twitter will bring us the disaster of the century because it has come down to a test of that arse Johnson's claim that the EU can whistle. I'd be happier with Blair and mandelson fronting our operation because I'd expect them to behave like adults.

You're right.

David Davis is furious at moves by Boris Johnson and Michael Gove to team up on Brexit and will resist their attempts to impose their views on the government, The Times has learnt.

The secretary of state for exiting the European Union is understood to be deeply unimpressed by suggestions that cabinet colleagues are holding discussions about “getting on with” Brexit. At the weekend it emerged that they had written a memo to Theresa May, saying that they were “profoundly worried” about “insufficient energy” in some parts of government and urging preparations for a “no-deal” exit.

There are concerns that the collaboration between Mr Johnson, the foreign secretary, and Mr Gove, the environment secretary, could hinder work on Brexit in the run-up to the European Council summit next month. EU negotiators may want to know whether the pair, who jointly ran the Vote Leave campaign before falling out over their leadership ambitions, agree.

“He [Mr Davis] was furious with Boris and Michael for their intervention,” an ally of the Brexit secretary said. “He wants to demonstrate he’s in charge and in control. He’s angry that other people are interfering.” Another MP confirmed that relations with Mr Johnson in particular were poor.

A senior ally of Mr Gove and Mr Johnson has expressed contempt for Mr Davis, calling him a “f***wit”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/brexit-secretary-david-davis-angry-at-interference-by-michael-gove-and-boris-johnson-vn8xtd9dp
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

He is 74 years old !
    He is also disappointing his core constituency - arch remainers. When we do actually Brexit, his supporters will no doubt see it as worse treachery than er, the last major LibDem act of treachery.....
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The voters will see it as the EU being obstructive, that's the political reality never mind whose fault it really is, expect to see more union jacks and a swing to hard brexit in the polls ;)
    I could see the EU being resented and there being a swing AWAY from Hard Brexit. Psychology. The resentment comes from feeling you don't have a choice. In this case we did have a choice (and still do to a certain extent), but people aren't going to admit to messing it up.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Ken Clarke as PM

George Osborne as Chancellor

Lord Mandelson as Brexit Secretary

Works for me.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, and if QMV simply decides that the EU Army should be funded by EU funds and that Britain's contribution should rise significantly?

And you're relying on British PM's standing up for this country against the EU, which, sadly, hasn't happened much of late. Blair threw away half the rebate for nothing, Brown reneged upon the Lisbon referendum, Cameron tried renegotiating and got such a poor offer it harmed rather than helped the Remain campaign.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

I can see the theory but I don't see the practice. If things are amicable enough to fix things like VTAs they will be amicable enough for a trade deal that is in both parties' interest. Now I accept that is a big negotiating space so we can't be sure what the trade deal will actually be, but it will be a meaningful trade deal.

You might be right, but there's a lot more incentive to the EU to avoid the massive disruption of no deal at all than there is to avoid the WTO-only scenario.

What's frustrating is that there doesn't seem to be any grown-up debate about all this. The UK parliament seems intent on dancing on pin-heads, passing amendments which are completely meaningless without the cooperation of the EU27, and the EU27 seem to be focused on extracting Danegeld and ignoring the future relationship.
  • Options
    I keep on asking this but get no reply.

If Brexit is easy, can one of PB's Leavers propose a decent and realistic proposal for the Irish Border?

N.B. Invading Ireland or asking the Republic to leave the EU aren't options.
  • Options
    According to Twitter, there are rebel tanks in Harare, the capital of Zimbabwe.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

DavidL said:

It's not Vince Cable's fault that the media give him little coverage. The media don't give many serious politicians much coverage - they are mostly only interested in personality clashes.

For a thoughtful and interesting recent speech by Vince Cable, which got zero media coverage, see

https://www.libdemvoice.org/vince-only-lib-dems-offer-strategy-for-growth-and-prosperity-55803.html

Ah, so he's doing the stand-up circuit? Explains his absence....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Tariffs are not the issue if the cars can't legally be sold because they are not recognised.

@faisalislam: @CommonsBEIS MP presses SMMT’s Hawes on German car manufacturers thing: “To put it in context - 56% of our exports go to Europe - 7% of theirs come here”
    7% of Germany's car, how many of France's cars ? or Spain's cars ? or Czech Cars ? If our cars stop going to the EU it wont just be German cars that won't be coming here.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, and if QMV simply decides that the EU Army should be funded by EU funds and that Britain's contribution should rise significantly?

And you're relying on British PM's standing up for this country against the EU, which, sadly, hasn't happened much of late. Blair threw away half the rebate for nothing, Brown reneged upon the Lisbon referendum, Cameron tried renegotiating and got such a poor offer it harmed rather than helped the Remain campaign.

More Project Bullshit from you.

But this “common defence” will only come about “when the European Council, acting unanimously, so decides”. Unlike in other areas of EU decision-making, the European Commission can’t propose laws about security and defence, and any decisions in these areas must be made unanimously.

That means that the UK effectively has a veto.

UK law also states that no such common EU defence powers can be handed from the UK to the EU without the approval of parliament and a referendum on the decision. So the government would need the support of both the public and MPs before they could make such a decision.

Do I have to explain what unanimously means to you, and why QMV can't apply?

https://fullfact.org/europe/hunt-eu-army/
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,644

Rachel Reeves is very smart. No surprise the Corbynistas don't want her anywhere near the Labour front bench.

I needed to contact her when she was shadow DWP Secretary. Utterly, utterly, utterly useless. Over a 2 year period I was repeatedly asked to resend stuff. Each time I did, nothing whatsoever happened. Each time I was assured (absolute promise) that wouldn't happen again and each time it did. I was contacting her on a high profile pension issue as part of a campaign. I can say without fail every single MP was better than her and she was the Shadow Secretary for the DWP for gods sake and I can tell you many others was awful as well, but she topped the league by miles.
  • Options

I don't often wish men in heir 90s ill, but I'm hopeful Mugabe will get the Gadaffi treatment in his final moments.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, assuming that situation remains the same and there's no centralising change (which would be contrary to the driving principle of EU ideology and recent history), that doesn't actually address the point I made about funding.

The comment I made on recent PMs is, of course, factual.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

You're right.

David Davis is furious at moves by Boris Johnson and Michael Gove to team up on Brexit and will resist their attempts to impose their views on the government, The Times has learnt.

The secretary of state for exiting the European Union is understood to be deeply unimpressed by suggestions that cabinet colleagues are holding discussions about “getting on with” Brexit. At the weekend it emerged that they had written a memo to Theresa May, saying that they were “profoundly worried” about “insufficient energy” in some parts of government and urging preparations for a “no-deal” exit.

There are concerns that the collaboration between Mr Johnson, the foreign secretary, and Mr Gove, the environment secretary, could hinder work on Brexit in the run-up to the European Council summit next month. EU negotiators may want to know whether the pair, who jointly ran the Vote Leave campaign before falling out over their leadership ambitions, agree.

“He [Mr Davis] was furious with Boris and Michael for their intervention,” an ally of the Brexit secretary said. “He wants to demonstrate he’s in charge and in control. He’s angry that other people are interfering.” Another MP confirmed that relations with Mr Johnson in particular were poor.

A senior ally of Mr Gove and Mr Johnson has expressed contempt for Mr Davis, calling him a “f***wit”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/brexit-secretary-david-davis-angry-at-interference-by-michael-gove-and-boris-johnson-vn8xtd9dp
    Good to see that the leading Brexiters are fighting amongst themselves. A sure sign that the project is in trouble.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

FF43 said:

You might be right, but there's a lot more incentive to the EU to avoid the massive disruption of no deal at all than there is to avoid the WTO-only scenario.

What's frustrating is that there doesn't seem to be any grown-up debate about all this. The UK parliament seems intent on dancing on pin-heads, passing amendments which are completely meaningless without the cooperation of the EU27, and the EU27 seem to be focused on extracting Danegeld and ignoring the future relationship.
    I see what you are saying, but I suspect it won't play that way. ie the EU will fold before we do on Article 50 differences and will concede on minimal agreement rather than holding fast to the view that they have offered us a reasonable deal and if we don't want to take it, they are not going to bend over backwards to accommodate us. Danegeld is our (your) description. The EU genuinely thinks that money is owed to them.

But you are right that the EU isn't very interested in the future relationship. Maybe they should be.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, given he's been seen as a figurehead for some time, I wonder if tanks are there to ensure the generals' chosen replacement has a successful coronation.
  • Options

But this “common defence” will only come about “when the European Council, acting unanimously, so decides”. Unlike in other areas of EU decision-making, the European Commission can’t propose laws about security and defence, and any decisions in these areas must be made unanimously.

UK law also states that no such common EU defence powers can be handed from the UK to the EU without the approval of parliament and a referendum on the decision. So the government would need the support of both the public and MPs before they could make such a decision.

Up until today apparently

https://qz.com/1127984/eu-army-bloc-forging-ahead-with-its-military-integration-to-shake-off-us-dependence/
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I don't often wish men in heir 90s ill, but I'm hopeful Mugabe will get the Gadaffi treatment in his final moments.
    https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-zimbabwe-politics-tanks/tanks-seen-heading-towards-zimbabwe-capital-witnesses-idUKKBN1DE1WB
  • Options

https://qz.com/1127984/eu-army-bloc-forging-ahead-with-its-military-integration-to-shake-off-us-dependence/
    Have you read your link?

The UK had always resisted the idea of joint EU defense, fearing some kind of big “European army,” but the country’s planned exit from the bloc has removed that hurdle, allowing 23 other EU countries to move forward.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Pulpstar said:

One would certainly hope so.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

You're right.

Snip itten a memo to Theresa May, saying that they were “profoundly worried” about “insufficient energy” in some parts of government and urging preparations for a “no-deal” exit.

Good to see that the leading Brexiters are fighting amongst themselves. A sure sign that the project is in trouble.
    So, face, take that! I bet you feel pretty silly now with no nose.
  • Options
    so not rebel tanks, Reuters are saying, but the official military who may have had enough.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

The EU genuinely thinks that money is owed to them.

And yet have failed to provide an itemised list of exactly which items we should be paying for and how much they cost, and on what terms they should be paid. Instead they wave their hands in their air and pull a random large number out of their nether regions, and then wonder why its perceived as attempts to browbeat and blackmail rather than a reasoned attempt to recover monies owed.

• Options

Have you read your link?

The UK had always resisted the idea of joint EU defense, fearing some kind of big “European army,” but the country’s planned exit from the bloc has removed that hurdle, allowing 23 other EU countries to move forward.
    Yes I did. Having signed that today and now they are moving ahead with their new toy do you think they are going to be in a hurry to let us revoke BrExit and veto the idea ?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Ken Clarke as PM

Works for me.
    Not much Brexit in that list though :-)
  • Options

DavidL said:

Interesting thanks although it did rather remind me of LBJ's comment: "Making a speech on economics is a lot like pissing down your leg. It seems hot to you, but it never does to anyone else."
  • Options

Yes I did. Having signed that today and now they are moving ahead with their new toy do you think they are going to be in a hurry to let us revoke BrExit and veto the idea ?

I'm sure they will, you and your fellow Leavers frottage yourselves over the notion that they are desperate for our money.
  • Options
    Government solves the problem of conflicting bill amendments, Brexit stylee...

@TomRailton1: @SamCoatesTimes getting themselves out of a bind by legally separating different meanings of 'exit day'
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Ken Clarke as PM

Works for me.
    That's a feature not a bug.

Look how well the Brexit three stooges in cabinet have done so far with Brexit
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

LOL! What a ridiculous statement!

Jeez - some of the nutters on here really are totally unhinged.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

I see what you are saying, but I suspect it won't play that way. ie the EU will fold before we do on Article 50 differences and will concede on minimal agreement rather than holding fast to the view that they have offered us a reasonable deal and if we don't want to take it, they are not going to bend over backwards to accommodate us. Danegeld is our (your) description. The EU genuinely thinks that money is owed to them.

But you are right that the EU isn't very interested in the future relationship. Maybe they should be.
    They are more concerned that the UK should be seen to suffer by leaving in order to ensure no other country goes down the same road. This attitude on their part was predictable, and predicted, but the anglo-centric worldview of many leavers makes it impossible for them to understand why other countries don't care much about the UK's future and see no reason to shield it from the consequences of its own stupidity.
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

They are more concerned that the UK should be seen to suffer by leaving in order to ensure no other country goes down the same road. .
    That seems to imply that we were part of a protection racket.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

If Brexit is easy, can one of PB's Leavers propose a decent and realistic proposal for the Irish Border?

Pre approvals and electronic monitoring. The small time booze cruise stuff doesn't matter
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

They are more concerned that the UK should be seen to suffer by leaving in order to ensure no other country goes down the same road. This attitude on their part was predictable, and predicted, but the anglo-centric worldview of many leavers makes it impossible for them to understand why other countries don't care much about the UK's future and see no reason to shield it from the consequences of its own stupidity.
    And you wanted to stay with these people?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

He seems to think worse of them than you and I do.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Those on the Right who regard Field as a kind of pet won't be happy with that - he's basically accusing them and their kind of being blithering idiots. But then Field should have foreseen the political quagmire. The implementation of Brexit is as crucial as the conception, and Field avoids no culpability if he pleads only to have set the process in motion.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Pre approvals and electronic monitoring. The small time booze cruise stuff doesn't matter
    They already have the small-time booze-cruise (and fags) stuff across the Irish border. Quite big-time, in fact. Brexit doesn't make that problem any harder than it already is.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

I would say the EU have two objectives that are somewhat in tension. They want to extract the UK from the EU with the least further damage to them possible. They want to shore up the value of membership. We left because we thought membership wasn't valuable. Necessarily therefore non-membership has to be a noticeable downgrade. They resolve that tension (they hope) by being on the Win side of all the Win/Lose equations while giving the UK enough Win/Win options that it will co-operate.

We have never articulated our real negotiation aims. In practice what we want is continuity. That nothing important changes as a consequence of leaving the EU. That aim is compatible with the first of the EU's aims and incompatible with the second.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    DavidL said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Certainly. They should be our friends and allies. And they are our biggest customers. I can't think of any other country in the world that thinks its future lies in cutting itself off from its nearest neighbours.
  • Options
    Thank god that lynching was nothing to do Shaun Bailey
  • Options

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Certainly. They should be our friends and allies. And they are our biggest customers. I can't think of any other country in the world that thinks its future lies in cutting itself off from its nearest neighbours.
    Friends, allies and customers yes. Doesn't need political subsumation

But threatening to stop planes flying or cars ceasing to be approved from 1 day to the next isn't the behaviour of friends and allies
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    edited November 2017

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

I don’t think you need to be members of a political union to be friends/allies.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Ken Clarke as PM

Works for me.
    Their terms of reference should include an instruction to take into account the result of the referendum.
  • Options
    Awesome.

Frank Field is arguing in the House of Commons that we should leave the European Union on our time -ie midnight GMT not CET, one hour before
  • Options

Thank god that lynching was nothing to do Shaun Bailey
    Although the hanged figure is black...
This discussion has been closed.