Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Father of six who has never been a minister nor changed a napp

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited November 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Father of six who has never been a minister nor changed a nappy now favourite to succeed TMay

With all the focus on the Westminster sexual abuse scandal there has been a big change in the Conservative leadership betting. Jacob Rees-Mogg who is not and never has been a minister has now moved above a former Mayor of London and no Foreign Secretary, Mr Johnson, and just ahead of the Brexit Secretary Mr David Davis.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    What's Boris's current sprog count, and has he ever changed a nappy?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    Bizarre. Just bizarre.
  • Options
    I can sympathise with JRM, I only ever changed nappies under duress.
  • Options
    As for not being a minister, neither Blair no Cameron served as minister before they became Prime Minister, apart from one unfortunate policy mistake each, they did fine as PMs.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    FPT: kyf_100 said:

"Or just not run a terrible campaign.

It's worth remembering that TMay had a commanding lead in the polls when the election was called and, indeed, the locals during the long campaign pointed to a strong win for the Tories.

TMay effectively missed an open goal. She took an imperious, afraid-of-the-public approach to campaigning (against a skilled stump speech opponent). She approved a manifesto with her inner circle that was effectively political suicide to her core vote (dementia tax to homeowners), miscommunicated it badly, u-turned, and of course - utterly screwed up the digital / social media element of the campaign. I remember people on here saying that the 'IRA' Facebook attack ad was a slam dunk, despite the fact I pointed out several times that all the views were paid for and therefore of little to no value, while people were sharing Labour and Momentum videos amongst their friends, getting higher view counts but more importantly generating a 'my friend recommends this' effect. The Corbyn campaign had buzz. The Tory campaign had buzz off.

The Tories are damn lucky they were facing the Marmite Corbyn. A less divisive opponent would have stormed it for Labour."

A less divisive opponent would have severely tempered the desire to call an early GE though.

Yes, the Tories nationally ran a shocker. A better run campaign could easily have saved 15 seats and won 10 more, against any opponent. The balance of seats ignored vs. crazy target seats won't be repeated. Labour are benchmarked at an improbably high watermark next time out. They have a lot of seats to defend on tiny majorities.

Where each party decides to defend and attack next time will be fascinating.
  • Options
    Has Theresa May ever changed a nappy, asks Andrea Leadsom, innocently.....
  • Options

Nice one
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,956
    JRM combines three key features that make him electable: he is authentic, he is honest, and he appears to stand for something, even at the risk of it being unpopular. Conviction politicians are in vogue because in times of crisis you do not want someone who blows with the prevailing wind.

What we are seeing is a backlash against years of career politicians who seem to care about nothing more than power for power's sake, the public being sick of a "game of thrones" approach to politics if you will. It is the same reason Corbyn is popular (even if he does have a whiff of the High Sparrow about him).
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I asked this a few weeks ago but what is JRM's path to the final 2?

I don't see it.
  • Options

As for not being a minister, neither Blair no Cameron served as minister before they became Prime Minister, apart from one unfortunate policy mistake each, they did fine as PMs.

But both had been LOTO for extended periods of time running a large party, dealing with the media and setting out a portfolio of policies. JRM simply has no relevant experience. As LOTO that might just about be ok but as PM it is, well, bizarre.
  • Options
    Everytime we talk about JRM for leader, I always have to check if it is April 1st.
  • Options
    Pretty sure Vespasian didn't look after Titus and Domitian when they were little either.

I don't think Mogg will make the final two. Penny Mordaunt absolutely should.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I don't see it.

I can't see him making him to the final two, or being even close.

Then I remember last year 84 Tory MPs thought Andrea Leadsom should be our PM.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Has Emma Dent Coad dug another hole?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, if there were a snap leadership election, who would you back (NB on the basis of genuine preference, not accounting for any betting position)? Gove?
  • Options
    In 2017, being totally unqualified for the job, or being an IRA-sympathising Marxist dinosaur, doesn't matter, but not having changed a nappy is fatal.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

But both had been LOTO for extended periods of time running a large party, dealing with the media and setting out a portfolio of policies. JRM simply has no relevant experience. As LOTO that might just about be ok but as PM it is, well, bizarre.
    Corbyn did it and polled 41% at the general election.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Pretty sure Vespasian didn't look after Titus and Domitian when they were little either.

Why? I don't know a lot about her but the homeopathy nonsense is troubling.

Edit, in fairness this from Wiki is encouraging:

"Mordaunt remarked “I have benefited from some excellent training by the Royal Navy, but on one occasion I felt that it was not as bespoke as it might have been. Fascinating though it was, I felt that the lecture and practical demonstration on how to care for the penis and testicles in the field failed to appreciate that some of us attending had been issued with the incorrect kit.”
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    But he wont get the Tory leadership.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, if there were a snap leadership election, who would you back (NB on the basis of genuine preference, not accounting for any betting position)? Gove?

From the current crop of MPs

1) Mercer

2) Hunt

3) Tugendhat

4) Rudd
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,736
    edited November 2017
    kyf_100 said:

JRM combines three key features that make him electable: he is authentic, he is honest, and he appears to stand for something, even at the risk of it being unpopular. Conviction politicians are in vogue because in times of crisis you do not want someone who blows with the prevailing wind.

What we are seeing is a backlash against years of career politicians who seem to care about nothing more than power for power's sake, the public being sick of a "game of thrones" approach to politics if you will. It is the same reason Corbyn is popular (even if he does have a whiff of the High Sparrow about him).

Jacob Rees-Mogg is the most inauthentic politician I can think of. For all her faults, Theresa May is authentic. She is what she appears to be. Jeremy Corbyn is mostly so, although he has taken on a gloss recently. Even Boris Johnson, once you accept he is a total charlatan, hardly pretends to be anything else.

Jacob Rees-Mogg is a caricature. That's not to say there is nothing behind the caricature. I think there is and it looks unpleasant. But he certainly isn't what he pretends to be.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    DavidL said:

Would May be a markedly worse PM if she hadn't had shadow or real portfolios since 1999?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

"Mordaunt remarked “I have benefited from some excellent training by the Royal Navy, but on one occasion I felt that it was not as bespoke as it might have been. Fascinating though it was, I felt that the lecture and practical demonstration on how to care for the penis and testicles in the field failed to appreciate that some of us attending had been issued with the incorrect kit.”
    Forget her homeopathy idiocy, Mordaunt backed Leadsom for leader last year.

That screams unfit for high office.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

I don't see it.

Leadsom only got there because Boris did not run. In my view there is no way Boris can duck a second time and still be taken credibly as a leadership candidate.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

DavidL said:

Would May be a markedly worse PM if she hadn't had shadow or real portfolios since 1999?
    Its quite hard to imagine but the answer must be yes. She must have some idea of how government actually works even if she is not very good at it.
  • Options
    Mr. L, homeopathy is nonsense, but my 81 or so bet on her to be next leader forgives it.

Mr. Eagles, reckon Mercer or Tugendhat will get promoted at any point?
  • Options
    The Tories need Rees Mogg in charge. It’s the only way to tame their right flank. Ultimately, the Conservative party is deeply pragmatic. It will see how the Moggster and his policies fare under the harsh, unstinting glare of the spotlight and will move back to the centre.
  • Options

Mr. L, homeopathy is nonsense, but my 81 or so bet on her to be next leader forgives it.

If there's any justice in the world, the fact Mrs May won't promote Rory Stewart doesn't fill me with confidence.
  • Options

As badly as Leadsom's remarks backfired its entirely possible she was correct. Would May have perhaps not approved the electoral suicide that was the dementia tax had she had kids herself?
  • Options

In 2017, being totally unqualified for the job, or being an IRA-sympathising Marxist dinosaur

Who has taken £20,000 from the Iranian regime......
  • Options

Alistair said:

I don't see it.

The alternative was Theresa May, though..... Which I would have thought might temper your criticism.

Johnny Mercer has the potential to form a "cross-party" coalition with voters not seen since Blair.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Forget her homeopathy idiocy, Mordaunt backed Leadsom for leader last year.

That screams unfit for high office.
    It's not an obvious plus point is it? Mind you the choice was poor. But if Morris has 81/1 his enthusiasm is understandable.
  • Options

As badly as Leadsom's remarks backfired its entirely possible she was correct. Would May have perhaps not approved the electoral suicide that was the dementia tax had she had kids herself?
    That's a bit tenuous....
  • Options

If there's any justice in the world, the fact Mrs May won't promote Rory Stewart doesn't fill me with confidence.
    Did Mercer not shoot himself in both his frustrated feet at the weekend?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Only if May goes on and on....
  • Options

Alistair said:

I don't see it.

Perhaps she should have been.

She sounded much more pragmatic than May on Brexit (eg on the right for those settled here to remain unconditionally) and May's government has hardly been a resounding success.
  • Options
    Whatever you think of him, Boris at 10/1 has to be value. He still has a lot of support in the party, particularly among the keen Brexiteers. If he makes the final two surely he'll win.
  • Options

That's a bit tenuous....
    So was the series of events that turned a 20 point lead in the polls to a hung Parliament.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    It has to be #Esther4Leader

To maximise Labour's chances...
  • Options

Alistair said:

I don't see it.

The alternative was Theresa May, though..... Which I would have thought might temper your criticism.

Johnny Mercer has the potential to form a "cross-party" coalition with voters not seen since Blair.
    Yup, that's exactly what someone said to me about him. I'll never forget my 'introduction' to Mr Mercer.

Back in April 2015 someone who was working on the Tory campaign lamented picking Johnny Mercer in that seat, 'We should have got him a safe seat, he's going to be leader and win a Blair landslide in the 2030s instead of the 2020s now'

We were both so chuffed when he won Plymouth in 2015.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nope.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    edited November 2017

Whatever you think of him, Boris at 10/1 has to be value. He still has a lot of support in the party, particularly among the keen Brexiteers. If he makes the final two surely he'll win.

He won’t make the final two. Even his own wife doesn’t trust him, it would give the opposition a field day. Why do you think he bailed out last time? My biggest political betting win was £1k laying Boris for next leader in 2015 - at evens.
  • Options

Alistair said:

I don't see it.

She sounded much more pragmatic than May on Brexit (eg on the right for those settled here to remain unconditionally) and May's government has hardly been a resounding success.
    Nope, Leadsom's a bit simple minded.
  • Options

Alistair said:

I don't see it.

And May is so much better? What have been May's tremendous successes and accomplishments to be proud of that Leadsom couldn't have done?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Nope.
    I'm not saying he is wrong but: http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/johnny-mercer-government-danger-losing-766468

"“It smells of decline, and the people won’t have it."

I very much doubt Mrs May appreciated that bon mot.
  • Options
    Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson, that highly schooled and poorly educated dilettante.......

https://stephendaisley.com/2017/11/13/how-bounders-chancers-and-charlatans-took-over-politics/amp/
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Penny Mordaunt has one quality that most politicians lack - a seriously good sense of humour. Her Loyal Address and famous “cock” speech were both hillarious.
  • Options

Alistair said:

I don't see it.

Yup, that's exactly what someone said to me about him. I'll never forget my 'introduction' to Mr Mercer.

Back in April 2015 someone who was working on the Tory campaign lamented picking Johnny Mercer in that seat, 'We should have got him a safe seat, he's going to be leader and win a Blair landslide in the 2030s instead of the 2020s now'

He won that seat because he personally knocked on every door in the constituency. He has astonishing energy.
  • Options

Alistair said:

I don't see it.

And May is so much better? What have been May's tremendous successes and accomplishments to be proud of that Leadsom couldn't have done?
    Well as Home Secretary

1) Stopping the frankly Jim Crow/Apartheidesque Stop and Search

2) Working well on reducing modern slavery

3) Introducing same-sex marriage.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

A good point. People are seriously fed up with the professional politicians who believe in nothing except power itself.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Nope.
    I'm not saying he is wrong but: http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/johnny-mercer-government-danger-losing-766468

He added that he supports Theresa May “to the hilt” and urged the party to seize the middle ground in politics, adding: “We have to give people something to vote for.”
  • Options

Alistair said:

I don't see it.

Well as Home Secretary

As PM and Party Leader?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Alistair said:

I don't see it.

Well as Home Secretary

Which worked so well that violent crime in London surged, and Amber Rudd and Cressida Dick stepped up the use of stop and search.

• Options
    An Immigration Lawyer reviews Paddington 2 (SPOILERS)

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/an-immigration-lawyer-reviews-paddington-2-hostile-environment/

Saw it this evening = Hugh Grant has great fun......
  • Options

Alistair said:

I don't see it.

Well as Home Secretary

As PM and Party Leader?
    She's doing her best to sabotage Brexit, that's about it.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

I don't see it.

Well as Home Secretary

Which worked so well that violent crime in London surged, and Amber Rudd and Cressida Dick stepped up the use of stop and search.

Stop and Search was reduced to 2002 levels, correlation and causation aren't the same thing.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kyf_100 said:

A good point. People are seriously fed up with the professional politicians who believe in nothing except power itself.
    They obviously listen to Lord Voldemort: "There is no good and evil, there is only power and those too weak to seek it.” Although I don't recall him standing for election too often.

Talking of whom I am almost sure that Penny Mordaunt must be an HP character.
  • Options

Are Vespasian, Titus and Domitian some of the older Rees-Mogg sons?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Those names are too common.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Nope.

He added that he supports Theresa May “to the hilt” and urged the party to seize the middle ground in politics, adding: “We have to give people something to vote for.”
    Yes...hilt of what exactly. InforMay, InforMay, they've all got it in for May.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, I would not be shocked if he had sons called Vespasian and Titus.

Titus is a pretty cool name.

Mr. L, there's a rather nice speech by Davros in Genesis of the Daleks, in which he censures democracy (I think because of the compromise it entails). A shame he was buggered up in New Who.
  • Options

Alistair said:

I don't see it.

He won that seat because he personally knocked on every door in the constituency. He has astonishing energy.
    Yup, he also saw a Lab to Con swing in June whilst his neighbouring Tory MP lost his seat.
  • Options

FPT

A less divisive opponent would have severely tempered the desire to call an early GE though.

Yes, the Tories nationally ran a shocker. A better run campaign could easily have saved 15 seats and won 10 more, against any opponent. The balance of seats ignored vs. crazy target seats won't be repeated. Labour are benchmarked at an improbably high watermark next time out. They have a lot of seats to defend on tiny majorities.

Agreed. You have to wonder what Messina and co were smoking to have a) targeted the seats they did and b) to have run an incredibly incompetent social media campaign that relied on granular data (which judging from (a) was quite possibly completely inaccurate) in order to localise targeted ads, when it was clear a huge, organic groundswell of support was forming behind Corbyn. I suppose they probably looked at it and thought "a localised targeted approach is the best shot we have, because nobody's going to buy into TMay the way they have bought into Corbyn".

The Tory campaign was shocking and incompetent. But the thing to remember is that TMay had a commanding lead in the polls that should have given her a 150+ seat majority before the campaign began and the manifestos were launched.

One of the more interesting counterfactuals I often ask myself is, what would have happened had Labour run on the same manifesto but with a less divisive leader, e.g. Burnham.

Part of me says there would be a PM Burnham in office right now, because it was the labour manifesto (end to tuition fees, nationalised railways etc) that people were voting for and the Tory manfiesto (dementia tax) they were voting against. The other part of me thinks that despite being Marmite, Corbyn's charisma was able to win a lot of people over and Labour would have done worse under another identikit Burnham / Miliband style politician. But that's the problem with counterfactuals. We'll never really know.
  • Options

Mr. L, there's a rather nice speech by Davros in Genesis of the Daleks, in which he censures democracy (I think because of the compromise it entails). A shame he was buggered up in New Who.

Domitian Meeks has a ring to it. I'll consider a name change.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Penny Mordaunt has one quality that most politicians lack - a seriously good sense of humour. Her Loyal Address and famous “cock” speech were both hillarious.
    Politicians have to be careful with their sense of humour. Sometimes it really doesn't go with their expected demeanour in office. William Hague obviously had a cracking SOH, but it probably counted against him in the end. Rather more brutal are the Beast of Bolsover's bon mots, although it is easy to keep lobbing them in from the backbenches.

But some just don't appear to have an SOH at all. Theresa May won't have a second career as an after dinner speaker, I'd suggest. Hard to see the Momentum crowd telling a joke that wasn't at the expense of somebody who has got in their way. But better that than George Osborne, giggling himself silly on the Front Bench. Or those party sycophants who are rendered into paroxysms of laughter by one of their colleagues delivering a sub-Christmas cracker gag.

One of the best SOH in the Commons - and kept very well under wraps - was apparently Dr Ian Paisley. I'm told he was a hoot - in private!
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

FPT

Agreed. You have to wonder what Messina and co were smoking to have a) targeted the seats they did and b) to have run an incredibly incompetent social media campaign that relied on granular data (which judging from (a) was quite possibly completely inaccurate) in order to localise targeted ads, when it was clear a huge, organic groundswell of support was forming behind Corbyn. I suppose they probably looked at it and thought "a localised targeted approach is the best shot we have, because nobody's going to buy into TMay the way they have bought into Corbyn".

The Tory campaign was shocking and incompetent. But the thing to remember is that TMay had a commanding lead in the polls that should have given her a 150+ seat majority before the campaign began and the manifestos were launched.

One of the more interesting counterfactuals I often ask myself is, what would have happened had Labour run on the same manifesto but with a less divisive leader, e.g. Burnham.

Part of me says there would be a PM Burnham in office right now, because it was the labour manifesto (end to tuition fees, nationalised railways etc) that people were voting for and the Tory manfiesto (dementia tax) they were voting against. The other part of me thinks that despite being Marmite, Corbyn's charisma was able to win a lot of people over and Labour would have done worse under another identikit Burnham / Miliband style politician. But that's the problem with counterfactuals. We'll never really know.
    The Crosby/Messina strategy was sound, it worked in 2015, framing it as the Tory leader versus the Labour leader (and the SNP)

Cameron managed not to trash his reputation during the 2015 campaign, Mrs May well.....
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, there are better emperors whose names you could adopt.

Wouldn't you rather be Trajan? Or Aurelian?
  • Options

Domitian Meeks has a ring to it. I'll consider a name change.
    Shortened to Dom Meeks.

Shoulds like the nom de guerre for a dominatrix who services meek men.

Oh crap, I'm typing this on a work laptop.
  • Options

Mr. Meeks, there are better emperors whose names you could adopt.

Wouldn't you rather be Trajan? Or Aurelian?

Elagabalus would be good too. A bit of a mouthful though.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, you silly sausage.

The feminine version is 'domme', not 'dom'. Dom Meeks would be a man.
  • Options

How dare you assume my gender.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, I'm not sure a cross-dressing psychotic is the best model...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972

At least there is only one of them... :D
  • Options

You have led a sheltered life.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Nope.

The "middle ground" is contaminated - it gave us Iraq, the financial crisis and austerity. It is seen by many as being populated by identikit politicians whose stock in trade is meaningless soundbites, flexible principles and self-enrichment. This may not be fair, but it is a widely-held perception. People do not want more of the same - there is a huge desire for something different, as evidenced by the Brexit vote and the general election result (and Trump in the US). There is no way back to the "middle ground" approach of Blair and Cameron, it is a bygone era. We are moving into an age of sharper divisions, radical prescriptions and a desire for more authenticity in politics.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

The Crosby/Messina strategy was sound, it worked in 2015, framing it as the Tory leader versus the Labour leader (and the SNP)

Cameron managed not to trash his reputation during the 2015 campaign, Mrs May well.....
    I question an approach that saw the Tories gunning for seats in the north they haven't gotten close to in a generation. Remember when we were all talking about Blyth Valley, Tynemouth, even whether or not Dennis Skinner would hang on in Bolsover.

But more importantly I also question the decision to run an extremely negative campaign whose USP was almost entirely stick with nurse for fear of worse, which was _exactly_ why the Remain campaign lost. Project fear failed.

Elections ultimately boil down to "it's too much of a risk, don't chance it" vs "it's time for change" and if 2016 taught us anything, it's that the general public are in the mood for change. The Labour manifesto, despite being sheer lunacy on many levels (much like some of the promises made by Vote Leave), offered people hope. And that is what they bought.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, Morris Dancer laughs in the face of political correctness.
  • Options
    From the horse's mouth (or some part of its anatomy).

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/930097017405214720
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    BoZo dragged back to the Commons

@Peston: .@BorisJohnson has finally said explicitly that Nazanin Zaghari Ratcliffe was in Iran on holiday, and not training journalists. And he apologises for being misunderstood!!!

@IanDunt: He then apologises but immediately follows w word "if". I stopped listening. No political apology with the word "if" at the end is worth listening to.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    Sandpit said:

kyf_100 said:

The problem with conviction politicians, is that they are unlikely to change their convictions as the facts change.
  • Options

From the horse's mouth (or some part of its anatomy).

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/930097017405214720

Boris has managed to quite royally screw this one up. Given that the lady in question is a dual citizen of the country in question, there’s precisely nothing he could have done to help her situation.
  • Options
    Speaking of apologies, at what time do we get Emma Dent Coad's?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007

One of the best SOH in the Commons - and kept very well under wraps - was apparently Dr Ian Paisley. I'm told he was a hoot - in private!

Have you read Jon Ronson's story of shadowing Dr Paisley in Africa? Well worth a read.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Scott_P said:

BoZo dragged back to the Commons

@Peston: .@BorisJohnson has finally said explicitly that Nazanin Zaghari Ratcliffe was in Iran on holiday, and not training journalists. And he apologises for being misunderstood!!!

@IanDunt: He then apologises but immediately follows w word "if". I stopped listening. No political apology with the word "if" at the end is worth listening to.

Do we know how many Tory MPs have turned out to support him?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,293
    edited November 2017
    Yuk.

The British electorate will never choose a tit like him to become PM. Even the Tory membership should realise this, surely?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637

Alistair said:

I don't see it.

Well as Home Secretary

4) Getting net migration down to the 'tens of thousands'. Or perhaps not.

I will give her:

5) Lasting 6 years without being sacked.
  • Options
    Looks like Boris Johnson has dumped Gove in this mess as well.
  • Options

Now why would he do a thing like that?
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

The Laurel & Hardy of politics
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Now why would he do a thing like that?
    Laurel and Hardy could become an unfortunate look for that pair.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Yuk.

The British electorate will never choose a tit like him to become PM. Even the Tory membership should realise this, surely?

QTWTAIN?
  • Options

Being LotO is better training than even being a cabinet minister. You run your party, lead the setting of the policy agenda, lead the advocacy of it to the public and media, dispense patronage, and enjoy (or not) a media profile well above a cabinet minister. True, you can to an extent pick and choose your points of attack more than a PM and you don't have to do detail to the same extent (but you do still have to do it), but all-in-all, being a successful Loto is probably a better predictive tool as to who will be a successful PM than being a successful minister is.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    edited November 2017
    This is quite the poll finding:

By 37% to 28% Alabama evangelicals say they are more likely to vote for Roy Moore following the allegations of sexual misconduct with children.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/360010-poll-37-percent-of-alabama-evangelicals-more-likely-to-vote-for-moore-after

Presumably they think the allegations are some kind of conspiracy... but even still that's an impressive result.

• Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

DavidL said:

May wouldn't be PM had she not been on the front bench,.
  • Options
    Mr. rkrkrk, the weirdest finding (from years ago so no link, alas) I remember from the US was on trust. It was about how likely you were to give a lift to a hitchhiker if they were X. The least trusted, being tied on dodginess, categories were rapists and atheists.

I cannot fathom the thinking (I use the term generously) that can't separate in moral terms people who don't believe in a god, and people who are violent sex attackers. But there we are.
  • Options

Mr. rkrkrk, the weirdest finding (from years ago so no link, alas) I remember from the US was on trust. It was about how likely you were to give a lift to a hitchhiker if they were X. The least trusted, being tied on dodginess, categories were rapists and atheists.

I cannot fathom the thinking (I use the term generously) that can't separate in moral terms people who don't believe in a god, and people who are violent sex attackers. But there we are.

Well God was a violent sex offender.

He impregnated Mary without her consent.
  • Options
    On topic, the punters are misleading themselves. JRM is fine as a signpost backbencher but could't, as leader, confine himself to the sort of interviews he's conducted so far. Yes, he's polite, knowledgeable and intelligent but that's nothing like enough.

What is his ability to manage a government and parliamentary party like? What are his negotiating skills like? How well does he advocate a policy that he's not that interested in (and as a PM, you must be prepared to advocate your party's policy across the board; a backbencher has a luxury in choosing his or her interests).

The only Mogg Downing St needs is Larry.
  • Options

I'd love to know how you could identify members of either group just from how they stick out their thumb.
This discussion has been closed.