Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Father of six who has never been a minister nor changed a napp

12346»

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

GIN1138 said:

The majority of our law-makers lawyers seem to be totally and utterly clueless...

Having dealt with some of the legal profession's finest recently, I simply had to correct your statement ;)
    Hmph.

*sulks*
    You might enjoy this immigration lawyers review of Paddington 2. Contains spoilers:

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/an-immigration-lawyer-reviews-paddington-2-hostile-environment/
  • Options

Sweden scored - offside just

Best of luck with my medical colleagues, Big _G.
    Thanks Dr Fox - I have every confidence in my consultant but was diagnosed in June 2016 and only now given a date of 27th Nov 2017 so Wales NHS having all the problems seen in England
    Worse, I think. Waiting time targets in England start to get fairly punitive after 18 weeks. For conditions like hernias better to get it right than quick.

In the eighties, I was doing a locum in the West country, and this eighty year old came to me with an enormous hernia. I asked how long he had had it. 46 years came the answer, I remember exactly as I was cranking my tractor at the time. I asked why he had left it so long. The answer was that he didn't want anyone else milking his cows! A charming old fellow, he had only been out of the county once in his life, to an agricultural show. He couldn't enjoy it though, as he worried about his stock all the time.

Mine is a great job. I meet all sorts of folk.
    Good story. I had mine operated on in 1973 after it had become a very painful and noticeable lump but I had had it for 3 years. The original site has opened again so an open mesh op is planned but also a smaller problem on the other side.

Unlike 1973 when I had a ten day hospital stay it is done in the day centre in two weeks time
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    AndyJS said:

RE those bringing up the IRA and Corbyn being a ‘Marxist’ - Corbyn’s supporters are unlikely to have lived through, or remembered the days where IRA bombed places in the UK, or indeed the fall of communism. I only know about these things because of (a. my interest in politics (b. my mum having discussions with me about them. On top of that, Corbyn’s more hardcore supporters see successive governments association with Saudi Arabia, and Thatcher’s association with Pinochet as morally equivalent (edit: actually, thinking about it - they see it as worse) to Corbyn’s IRA association. That’s a message which gets relayed down to his less hardcore supporters meaning that to this group, the moral distinctions that Conservatives and others feel exist between them and Corbyn on these kinds of matters evaporate in the eyes of Corbyn’s biggest and more lukewarm supporters.

I think the term ‘Marxist’ would mean nothing at all, to most people actually - how many ordinary voters do you know who could provide a specific definition of Marxism? Then there’s the matter that if you've grown up in the post-crash years, it’s is likely that it won’t be Marxism that will be the dirty word, but rather capitalism or, more specifically ‘neo-liberalism’. It will be that system that many will associate with hardship, a lack of social mobility and unfairness.

Then there’s the fact that many of these anti-Corbyn stories tended to be printed in outlets such as the Mail, and the right wing press more generally - sources of information that Corbyn’s voters by and large aren’t reading and don’t take seriously. The Tories have a real problem that their cheerleaders in the press are seen as joke by many of those who aren’t old.

In the age of the internet and smartphone, how can there be any excuse for people not to know the basic outline of recent history as far as the IRA and other subjects is concerned? They don't even have to go to the library to get a book on it. It's a duty of being a citizen to take an interest in the history of the country you live in.
    I am continually surprised that so many people, from different generations, have very little knowledge or experiences outside of their personal bubbles. If you have the unfortunate experience of watching some of the quiz shows on TV, you will, like me, be tearing your hair out at some of the answers given to general knowledge or recent history questions. Possibly, it is the ease of access to the many sources of information on the Internet, means that there is no requirement to learn or retain the information in personal memory, only to know how to access the information as needed.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Big moves in Trumpton this evening
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Big moves in Trumpton this evening

Go on....
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

In the absence of a market on the SNP backing the government in a no confidence vote I'm gonna go and lay JRM at this price.

No way would the SNP back the government on a no confidence vote - it would be 1st degree political suicide!
    Indeed. Some on here think they would though and I would love to take money from them laying the other side.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Sweden scored - offside just

Best of luck with my medical colleagues, Big _G.
    Thanks Dr Fox - I have every confidence in my consultant but was diagnosed in June 2016 and only now given a date of 27th Nov 2017 so Wales NHS having all the problems seen in England
    Worse, I think. Waiting time targets in England start to get fairly punitive after 18 weeks. For conditions like hernias better to get it right than quick.

In the eighties, I was doing a locum in the West country, and this eighty year old came to me with an enormous hernia. I asked how long he had had it. 46 years came the answer, I remember exactly as I was cranking my tractor at the time. I asked why he had left it so long. The answer was that he didn't want anyone else milking his cows! A charming old fellow, he had only been out of the county once in his life, to an agricultural show. He couldn't enjoy it though, as he worried about his stock all the time.

Mine is a great job. I meet all sorts of folk.
    Good story. I had mine operated on in 1973 after it had become a very painful and noticeable lump but I had had it for 3 years. The original site has opened again so an open mesh op is planned but also a smaller problem on the other side.

Unlike 1973 when I had a ten day hospital stay it is done in the day centre in two weeks time
    My dad had his done laproscopically a few years back, and was doing jigsaws on the floor with Fox Jr, the next day. No problems since. I hope that you do as well.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    edited November 2017

I couldn't begin to offer advice. If the parents think of their children in the way most people do they will forgive them almost anything even if it is not in the best interests of either party. There is nothing logical about it and for all that we might sit here and pontificate about doing what is 'best' for the child, I do wonder how many of us would in the end be willing and able to deliver the tough love that might be needed.

They have my utmost sympathy but beyond that I am afraid I can offer nothing more.

I think that's right. And I'm a bit doubtful about the family's motivations here. Sure, he's behaving unusually and it doesn't seem very wise, but why are they so desperate about it to the point of considering making their child homeless? Is he an unpleasant resident? Does their affection for him depend on his career path? Are they very short of money and need him to start earning to avoid a crisis?

I think they should continue to house him , offer a hand now and then as they've been doing, and expect that in due course he'll want to do something more. I don't get why they're hassling him.

I have a relative who the family has been supporting for decades, incidentally. We could afford it, he had modest needs, we thought it strang that he didn't want to work, but he seems happy and we could afford it, so OK/
  • Options

RE those bringing up the IRA and Corbyn being a ‘Marxist’ - Corbyn’s supporters are unlikely to have lived through, or remembered the days where IRA bombed places in the UK, or indeed the fall of communism.... [snip]

You misunderstand. Those of us who raise these points are not doing so because we think they are electorally important, other than for older voters. We raise them because we think they mean that Jeremy Corbyn (and even more so John McDonnell) should never, ever come anywhere near the corridors of power - a view shared, as it happens, by the vast majority of Corbyn's and McDonnell's fellow Labour MPs of the last 40 years.

It may be the case that voters, naive and ill-informed as you admit they are, will make a huge mistake and still vote for him despite his history, as indeed many of them did in the recent GE. That won't make Corbyn and McDonnell any more suitable for office, or the disaster of any government which they might lead any less bad.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,230

I couldn't begin to offer advice. If the parents think of their children in the way most people do they will forgive them almost anything even if it is not in the best interests of either party. There is nothing logical about it and for all that we might sit here and pontificate about doing what is 'best' for the child, I do wonder how many of us would in the end be willing and able to deliver the tough love that might be needed.

They have my utmost sympathy but beyond that I am afraid I can offer nothing more.

I think that's right. And I'm a bit doubtful about the family's motivations here. Sure, he's behaving unusually and it doesn't seem very wise, but why are they so desperate about it to the point of considering making their child homeless? Is he an unpleasant resident? Does their affection for him depend on his career path? Are they very short of money and need him to start earning to avoid a crisis?

I think they should continue to house him , offer a hand now and then as they've been doing, and expect that in due course he'll want to do something more. I don't get why they're hassling him.

I have a relative who the family has been supporting for decades, incidentally. We could afford it, he had modest needs, we thought it strang that he didn't want to work, but he seems happy and we could afford it, so OK/
    The reason they are desperate is because it has been going on a long time. They worry that (a) it’s a sign of unhappiness which needs addressing; (b) it may trigger a further bout of mental illness and the last one involved self harm and violence to others; (c) the child can be very unpleasant and vile, which is not nice, to put it mildly, and this has led to serious difficulties in relations with siblings. The child can also be very charming and funny and has talent and intelligence. And they think that it is no good for anyone to do nothing with their life - whether paid or voluntary work or some other purpose.

The parents are on the cusp of retirement and one has a chronic illness which does not help. The career path does not matter. But a life without work or a purpose is no good for anyone.

I have already suggested sending him to someone else in the family but it is hard to impose someone with mental health issues on others. It is not easy to understand how hard it is living with someone who can, on a hair’s trigger, turn violent.

Perhaps one shouldn’t say this to PB’ers but life is not lived in your room........
  • Options
    Completely mad idea: if it ends up as a full blown mess with the UK looking as if it is going out without any agreement in place, could the government fall to be replaced by a grand coalition with a generally acceptable person, say Keir Starmer, as PM to stop the rot?
  • Options
    I had Boris for a while now. It's been a disastrous week for it...

http://www.abitleftandabitlost.com/political-punts.html
This discussion has been closed.