Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tory turmoil continues as another Cabinet exit appears to

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,153

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If Patel and Johnson are out of the way that leaves Davis and Rees-Mogg as the leadership flag carriers for Leavers.

One of those 2 will almost certainly succeed May as PM now in my view. Probably Davis, with Rees-Mogg more likely to take over as Tory leader of the opposition if and when Corbyn manages to get enough seats to form a government.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say the mood is changing. Hard Brexit will die with May. There is no mandate or majority for it. It's soft brexit, pay to play but no votes at the table; or no Brexit.

The first action of the remainer who takes over from May will be to ask Europe to stop the clock.
    How will a Remainer get to take over from May though?
    Be the best candidate. It's how May won.

But I agree with your implied underlying point: while an ex-Remainer might win, it can only be on a basis of Real Brexit. Candidates' negotiating stance will inevitably be a huge criterion for destination of votes in a contest and the red lines of ECJ jurisdiction and FoM will be decisive.
    No Remainer has a chance of winning the membership vote I can tell you.

The top 3 with BOTH Tory members AND Tory voters are Boris, Rees Mogg and Davis in that order and that is consistent in every poll.

Not a Remainer amongst them!
    But what happened to Boris, you used to say he was nailed on to be Theresa May's replacement.
    He still has a shot, though less than before but it will be 1 of those 3
    Oh for the love of God! Pretty much anyone of us on here could do a better job than that lot!

I think it is time for a pb.com intervention.... As a team, we cover pretty much all bases. We certainly have a good track record at forensic examination of - and walking around - bear traps. Unlike most of our elected representatives.
    I bagsy Justice or DExEU
    We'd rather got you pencilled in as PM....
  • Options

I can live with that.
  • Options
    Just a month ago various PBers were dreaming of Michael Fallon, Boris Johnson and Priti Patel becoming the next Tory PM.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If Patel and Johnson are out of the way that leaves Davis and Rees-Mogg as the leadership flag carriers for Leavers.

One of those 2 will almost certainly succeed May as PM now in my view. Probably Davis, with Rees-Mogg more likely to take over as Tory leader of the opposition if and when Corbyn manages to get enough seats to form a government.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say the mood is changing. Hard Brexit will die with May. There is no mandate or majority for it. It's soft brexit, pay to play but no votes at the table; or no Brexit.

The first action of the remainer who takes over from May will be to ask Europe to stop the clock.

But I agree with your implied underlying point: while an ex-Remainer might win, it can only be on a basis of Real Brexit. Candidates' negotiating stance will inevitably be a huge criterion for destination of votes in a contest and the red lines of ECJ jurisdiction and FoM will be decisive.

The top 3 with BOTH Tory members AND Tory voters are Boris, Rees Mogg and Davis in that order and that is consistent in every poll.

But what happened to Boris, you used to say he was nailed on to be Theresa May's replacement.
    Oh for the love of God! Pretty much anyone of us on here could do a better job than that lot!

I think it is time for a pb.com intervention.... As a team, we cover pretty much all bases. We certainly have a good track record at forensic examination of - and walking around - bear traps. Unlike most of our elected representatives.
    I bagsy Justice or DExEU
    SeanT for HM Ambassador to Uganda?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904
    edited November 2017
    TGOHF said:

Cyclefree said:

TGOHF said:

Cyclefree said:

TGOHF said:

The best remainer candidates are not MPs. That does mean they're not really candidates right now but then the next contest isn't right now.

We've had back to back Remainers as Con Leaders - Cameron and then May .

Perhaps it's time for a Leave leader ?

Perhaps it’s time for a competent leader?
    Far from me to suggest "Remainer" and "competent" are mutually exclusive but there is a pattern...
    “Leaver” and “competent” seem to be mutually exclusive. Very soon “Tory” and “competent” will fall into that category.
    Apart from Gove.
    A joke at last, You should try stand-up
  • Options
    Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

What he actually said was it would take time to bring together all the documents related to them in a form readable by Parliament, not that no assessments had been done at all.
    https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/news/90403/david-davis-slapped-down-speaker-over-brexit
    That makes no sense. If the assessments are "done", surely they are written down? Or were they communicated verbally and everyone involved has forgotten what they said?

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/928002263049744385
  • Options

Just a month ago various PBers were dreaming of Michael Fallon, Boris Johnson and Priti Patel becoming the next Tory PM.
    Worse than that, some normally astute PBers were writing thread headers and putting their money on Sir Michael Fallon as next PM.

In my defence I have been laying both Boris and Priti Patel as next PM/Con Leader.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,230
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

TGOHF said:

Cyclefree said:

TGOHF said:

The best remainer candidates are not MPs. That does mean they're not really candidates right now but then the next contest isn't right now.

We've had back to back Remainers as Con Leaders - Cameron and then May .

Perhaps it's time for a Leave leader ?

Perhaps it’s time for a competent leader?
    Far from me to suggest "Remainer" and "competent" are mutually exclusive but there is a pattern...
    “Leaver” and “competent” seem to be mutually exclusive. Very soon “Tory” and “competent” will fall into that category.
    'Competent' in your eyes of course being staying in the EU or EU in all but name and trying to dodge the Leave vote or ensure it is a vote in nothing but name only
    You might try reading some of my headers or comments.

Competence has nothing to do with Leave or Remain.

There was - and is - a competent way of implementing Brexit, regardless of one’s views on the referendum result. Regrettably, the government has not chosen it. That is unforgivable because it will likely harm Britain, it will likely harm some of the most vulnerable in Britain and it will also likely harm EU member states. And whatever one thinks of their tactics or strategy EU member states are not the enemy.

I really wish things were otherwise. I really do. Not least because I view the prospect of a Corbyn/McDonnell government with some concern.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

SeanT as Minister for Women is what I was thinking
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    It may have been mentioned earlier down thread - apologies if so. And I'm not exactly one who gets easily offended and requires a safe-space. But a cartoon of MPs commiting suicide, less than 24 hours after Carl Sargent's death? I think "too soon" applies in this case....
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,501
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

'Competent' in your eyes of course being staying in the EU or EU in all but name and trying to dodge the Leave vote or ensure it is a vote in nothing but name only

There was a time when the Conservative Party genuinely tried to act in the best interests of the country. Margaret Thatcher instigated a number of policies which were fiercely criticised at the outset but once applied were seen to be of benefit to the country as well as some which weren't.

It is that pragmatism which has allowed the Conservative Party to evolve - a recognition that as times and circumstances change, the Party needs to change with them.

At this stage we cannot know or be sure but were it to become incontrovertibly evident that leaving the EU would cause significant economic damage, a pragmatic Party of Government would have to turn round and say "yes, we know you voted to leave but it is clearly not in our interests to do so on the terms currently available".

I'm NOT saying that's will happen or what should happen but it is what could happen. The Will of the People isn't an absolute - Parties, Governments, individuals and societies make mistakes and take the wrong path.

I'm not saying we have - we could have, I don't think we have currently but if those who forecast the worst turn out to have a better track record than has been the case so far, it's ridiculous for any Party to stick its head in the sand and carry on citing some legitimacy when the interests of the country suggest another path might be best.

The 'will of the people' point is easily ticked off with a second referendum, take the terms, or stay. The question is working out the political path that will take us there.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,896
    Sandpit said:

There was also the small matter of the London Mayoral election, where every vote counts individually. Ken won by piling up votes in safe Labour seats.

Actually, Ken won in 2004 quite easily and even won on first preference votes in places like Richmond and Kingston. Norris only won in the outer suburbs along with Westminster, K&C and H&F. According to Wiki, Ken won 36.8% of first preferences to Norris on 29.1% so it's hard to see how any alleged fraud would have had an impact.

There was a much more fragmented vote - Simon Hughes got 15% while both UKIP and Respect did pretty well.

• Options

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If chosen, I promise that I would have more entertaining and baroque sex scandals in my administration.
    TMFI
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Paging @TheScreamingEagles and @Morris_Dancer - Battle of Zama depicted with 26,000 Playmobil figures in France.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/more-26000-playmobil-figures-set-7602698
    (there's a better article on Escapist with more pictures, including an elephant trampling a Roman, but the site's blocked at work)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Worse than that, some normally astute PBers were writing thread headers and putting their money on Sir Michael Fallon as next PM.

In my defence I have been laying both Boris and Priti Patel as next PM/Con Leader.

As seen on Twitter

Help us Obi-Ruth Davidson, you're our only hope!
  • Options

I can live with that.
    Nope, for me you'll be Secretary of State for "Keeping It Real".

• Options

rpjs said:

TSE as Minister for Fashion Sense
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Paging @TheScreamingEagles and @Morris_Dancer - Battle of Zama depicted with 26,000 Playmobil figures in France.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/more-26000-playmobil-figures-set-7602698
    (there's a better article on Escapist with more pictures, including an elephant trampling a Roman, but the site's blocked at work)

Cheers
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I bagsy Justice or DExEU
    Sunil at Transport. Obviously.....
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

stodge said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Perhaps her activities are why there is (apparently) virtually no competition.

Really ? Do yourself a favour and have a look at the Newham voting numbers.

Back in 2004, there was a real fear in Labour circles the Party would lose seats in places like Newham and Tower Hamlets to Respect who were, along with the Lib Dems, the only clearly anti-Iraq War party out there at the time. Indeed, Respect did win a few seats in Newham and came close in some others. Whether that was the motivation for Ms Thompson's actions I don't know.

That's ancient history - Labour's domination of Newham is absolute and they will almost certainly win all 60 seats next year. There's no sign, unlike Kensington & Chelsea, of an independent centrist slate being put together here at this time.
    There was also the small matter of the London Mayoral election, where every vote counts individually. Ken won by piling up votes in safe Labour seats.
    True. But whether committing a criminal offence to gather a few tens of extra votes would be seriously worthwhile in an electorate the size of London is highly questionable. Fraud to manipulate the register or postal vote surely only makes sense at ward level, or just possibly at constituency level if it is likely to be tight (and even then). I would have guessed that the register entries were intended for some sort of financial or benefits fraud.
  • Options
    Remember the Alastair Campbell doctrine about how if a story continues to roll over day after day the target for the stories has to go? The target isn't an individual any more, its the entire government.

I remember that classic Spitting Image sketch of Major's cabinet in a brewery unable to organise a piss-up. May can only dream of being as competent as that. The level of rank cowardice amongst Tory MPs is stunning - if they think this is competent government then they're so stupid as to be unfit for office. If they accept this isn't competent but won't act then they're so irresponsible as to be unfit for office.
  • Options

I have been laying JRM, which has yet to pay off. But I am sure it will.
  • Options

rpjs said:

If there's a market for first to exit from the Cabinet....
  • Options
    Mr. B2, jein.

If we do end up remaining, a second referendum (or possibly a GE with that question at its heart) is a lot better than not having one. However, that will not extinguish suspicions that democracy doesn't count if it doesn't go the way the Establishment wants.

I fear bitterness and division will, after an initial period of probable cooling off, intensify. Every time the EU does something against our interest or which is unpopular here, people will be reminded they vote to leave and that never happened.

The political class, however, will be encouraged to never again hold such a vote due to both the horrendous nature of the campaign and the ensuing political fallout. Which will only heighten frustration felt by many in the country.

A potential way out would be a form of associate membership. But I'll believe that when I see it.
  • Options
    Mr. Essexit, excellent use of educational toys :)
  • Options

Remember the Alastair Campbell doctrine about how if a story continues to roll over day after day the target for the stories has to go? The target isn't an individual any more, its the entire government.

I remember that classic Spitting Image sketch of Major's cabinet in a brewery unable to organise a piss-up. May can only dream of being as competent as that. The level of rank cowardice amongst Tory MPs is stunning - if they think this is competent government then they're so stupid as to be unfit for office. If they accept this isn't competent but won't act then they're so irresponsible as to be unfit for office.

Ah, shut up. Your lot lost the election. The voters wanted Corbyn bed-blocked. That's as much as this lot need to do for five years....

Oh, and deliver Brexit.
  • Options

rpjs said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I bagsy Justice or DExEU
    That seems to be on the right track :lol:
  • Options
    @SkyNewsBreak: West Midlands Police Assistant Chief Constable Marcus Beale has been summonsed to court after a Metropolitan Police investigation
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited November 2017
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tory members are not seeking votes of centre left EUphiles like you
    Then it would appear that Tory members are not seeking to stay in govt...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited November 2017
    Scott_P said:

@SkyNewsBreak: West Midlands Police Assistant Chief Constable Marcus Beale has been summonsed to court after a Metropolitan Police investigation

I presume over this case?

A former counter-terrorism boss is being investigated over allegations he did not protect "sensitive documents" which were stolen from his car.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-41060416
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

May couldn't even organise the bus to get the Cabinet to the Brewery.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

There’s going to be helicopters chasing that plane into Heathrow later, now that everyone’s worked out the flight and they’ve got six hours’ notice of it’s arrival.

If I were a TV news station I’d have a crew at Stanstead. Just saying.
    Are helicopters allowed to chase planes into Heathrow!?
    If they’re careful about it, they can be allowed close enough to get good pictures from a couple of miles away to the north or south.

Hence the nudge about Stanstead, which is where it may end up - with a couple of Typhoons in close formation.
    Despite the shiny new 787 Kenya Airways doesn't have inflight wifi - so Ms Patel will be oblivious to the gathering storm.....
  • Options

Ms Patel will be oblivious to the gathering storm.....

I am not sure oblivious is the correct word there
  • Options
    Priti Patel is a symptom of the malaise in the government, not the heart of the problem. Therefore just replacing her would an inadequate response. Theresa May should, as I posted yesterday, convert this mess into an opportunity by a wide-ranging reshuffle which imposes some order and purpose on government, and brings in fresh talent.

However, I am sure we will get the inadequate response, and the government will limp on to the next crisis.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    John Prescott's son David is suspended by the Labour Party amid Westminster sexual harassment scandal

David Prescott was reportedly removed from his job as speechwriter to Jeremy Corbyn in the past few days.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5061487/John-Prescot-s-son-David-suspended-Labour.html
  • Options

Priti Patel is a symptom of the malaise in the government, not the heart of the problem. Therefore just replacing her would an inadequate response. Theresa May should, as I posted yesterday, convert this mess into an opportunity by a wide-ranging reshuffle which imposes some order and purpose on government, and brings in fresh talent.

However, I am sure we will get the inadequate response, and the government will limp on to the next crisis.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/928204817834573824
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The 'will of the people' point is easily ticked off with a second referendum, take the terms, or stay. The question is working out the political path that will take us there.

The problem, my friend, is where I, as a LD, part company with the Party. There is no provision within A50 for a referendum let alone a referendum which stops the process.

The A50 process can be extended by mutual consent but not unilaterally. Nor can we have a ballot paper whose only options are accept the treaty or remain. The option to leave without an agreement has to be available - there are a significant minority who wish we had left on June 24th 2016 and they cannot be excluded from having a say or being forced to accept a treaty they don't want.

So it's a ballot with three choices:

1) Accept the A50 Treaty (assuming there's one to accept)
    2) Leave the EU without an agreement
    3) Remain in the EU (under the pre 23/6/16 terms presumably).

Actually, there should be a fourth option - to continue the A50 process and seek a better agreement for later ratification.

You can see why no one wants a new vote and let's stop calling it a second referendum because it sounds like a re-run of the first which it palpably isn't. In 2016 we should have voted not on remaining in the EU at all but on the treaty which Cameron was supposed to get and the consequences of rejecting that Treaty would presumably have been analogous to voting to LEAVE.

HYUFD, for all his increasingly vitriolic efforts to defend the Conservative position, makes the not unreasonable point that it is all about immigration. Whether it had happened in 2004 or later the migration of hundreds of thousands of people from eastern and central Europe to Britain has had a huge cultural, social and economic impact on many parts of the country.

In my part of London, the infrastructure (transport, schools, medical facilities) has been overwhelmed by the new arrivals while the housing market has been fundamentally affected and more tragically, we have created a new generation of East End slums, multi-occupancy properties echoing earlier times when overcrowded dwellings marked out the working class East End. The slums are back - they are different but they are here.

• Options

Ah, shut up. Your lot lost the election. The voters wanted Corbyn bed-blocked. That's as much as this lot need to do for five years....

Oh, and deliver Brexit.
    Is it good enough for the Tory party to be an utter shambles in government? That's the way to winning future elections is it? As for bed-blocking Corbyn, thats the script from the start of the election campaign where you lot thought landslide nailed on. As it is a few dozen voters in a small handful of seats and it would have been Corbyn in Downing Street as you very well know.

Regardless of party politics now more than ever we need a functioning capable government. We don't have one. They need to remove May - its in everyone's interest including their own. Voters remember shambolic governments long after the key players have been removed, tarnishing the party. Happened to us, happened to the Tories before, happening to the Tories now.
  • Options

Re Israel, what really should concern Israelis is at some point in the near future the Palestinians decide rather have their own state, they'll decide to take control of the state they are already in.

What will the Israelis do then? A form of apartheid?

A very perceptive post though in the occupied territories apartheid already exists.
  • Options
    @IsabelHardman: Best thing Theresa May can surely say to Priti Patel is “you’ve been working too hard. I think you could do with a proper holiday.”
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    "But the JC understands, from two different sources, that Ms Patel did disclose the meeting with Mr Rotem but was told by Number 10 not to include it as it would embarrass the Foreign and Commonwealth Office."
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,804
    Cyclefree said:

There was - and is - a competent way of implementing Brexit, regardless of one’s views on the referendum result. Regrettably, the government has not chosen it. That is unforgivable because it will likely harm Britain, it will likely harm some of the most vulnerable in Britain and it will also likely harm EU member states. And whatever one thinks of their tactics or strategy EU member states are not the enemy.

I really wish things were otherwise. I really do. Not least because I view the prospect of a Corbyn/McDonnell government with some concern.

I don't think I agree. This government IS incompetent but a competent government would be up against the same realities and contradictions of Brexit. In fact this government's incompetence largely stems from those contradictions, which they are incapable of resolving.

There is only one way to do Brexit properly, which is come what may. We don't look for hardship, but accept it as the price to pay for our principles. If Brexit is sold on very fuzzy principles and no cost, you have a problem.

• Options
    calum said:

Well, once they'd sprayed over the '£350m for the NHS', that'd at least be a start.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    If true ....

"On 24 August - the same day as Ms Patel spoke to Mr Netanyahu - Middle East minister Alistair Burt and David Quarrey, the British Ambassador to Israel, met Michael Oren, Deputy Minister at the Israeli Prime Minister’s Office. According to the notes of the meeting, Mr Oren referred to Ms Patel having had a successful meeting with Mr Netanyahu earlier "
  • Options
    That one on the left is rubbish, obvious dummy.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/ladpolitics/status/928207985523986432

Get yer Shadsy Christmas bonus here...
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,804

calum said:

Well, once they'd sprayed over the '£350m for the NHS', that'd at least be a start.
    We may not see the £350m, but we keep the bus!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/ladpolitics/status/928207985523986432

If Rory The Tory doesn't get the gig, I think we can safely say hell will freeze over before he gets a proper job.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

calum said:

We may not see the £350m, but we keep the bus!
    We all need a bit of humour
  • Options
    stodge said:

IanB2 said:

The problem, my friend, is where I, as a LD, part company with the Party. There is no provision within A50 for a referendum let alone a referendum which stops the process.

The A50 process can be extended by mutual consent but not unilaterally. Nor can we have a ballot paper whose only options are accept the treaty or remain. The option to leave without an agreement has to be available - there are a significant minority who wish we had left on June 24th 2016 and they cannot be excluded from having a say or being forced to accept a treaty they don't want.

So it's a ballot with three choices:

1) Accept the A50 Treaty (assuming there's one to accept)
    2) Leave the EU without an agreement
    3) Remain in the EU (under the pre 23/6/16 terms presumably).

(snip for length)

HYUFD, for all his increasingly vitriolic efforts to defend the Conservative position, makes the not unreasonable point that it is all about immigration. Whether it had happened in 2004 or later the migration of hundreds of thousands of people from eastern and central Europe to Britain has had a huge cultural, social and economic impact on many parts of the country.

In my part of London, the infrastructure (transport, schools, medical facilities) has been overwhelmed by the new arrivals while the housing market has been fundamentally affected and more tragically, we have created a new generation of East End slums, multi-occupancy properties echoing earlier times when overcrowded dwellings marked out the working class East End. The slums are back - they are different but they are here.

Your unilateral/consent point is legally doubtful. But in any event I would expect consent will be forthcoming. It's also quite possible that a late concession - such as a five-year special arrangement - on immigration might also be forthcoming, a la TB.

It is up to the UK Gvt (or Parl't) whether or not to have a referendum on the leaving terms - A50 doesn't come into it.

If there's a deal, there is no reason why leaving without a deal should be on the table at all. Leaving with a deal fulfils the 2016 vote precisely.

I agree with you about the impact on East London, but this has relatively little to do with the EU. London needs the workforce, the background to the housing crisis is well known, the financial system is stacked to fuel asset price inflation, there are few bars to overseas property investment, and the rental market is wide open to exploitation on favourable lending and tax terms (slowly being withdrawn).
  • Options

Scott_P said:

twitter.com/ladpolitics/status/928207985523986432

If Rory The Tory doesn't get the gig, I think we can safely say hell will freeze over before he gets a proper job.
    I would be very surprised if it wasn't a female appointment
  • Options
  • Options
    @PolhomeEditor: If this is true - and @stephenpollard is very good - then Number 10 have been misleading journalists all week about what Theresa May knew and when. thejc.com/news/uk-news/n…

@youngvulgarian: So...this kind of looks like it was briefed out by Patel's people to drag Number 10 into it? Ah man, what a mess this all is. twitter.com/youngvulgarian…

*** BETTING POST ***

You can still get 11/4 on a 2018 GE...
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    This is another of those comments you have to prefix with "In normal political times, this would be..."

However, since May's too weak to do anything, and too useful as a human shield, this will just be added to the list of things that no PM should be able to survive... but has.
  • Options
    Fat chance. The cowards would rather leave her zombie corpse in office than deal with any of this mess. Its not like she will have lied - she won't have known what she was supposed to know. They'll fudge it again.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Team Corbyn have got two senior members in a the doo doo (one convicted of voter fraud and the other suspended for sexual harassment claims), and the Tories are busy fighting among themselves.
  • Options
    Dunno, but the sacking of Patel may have just been cancelled.
  • Options

Team Corbyn have got two senior members in a the doo doo (one convicted of voter fraud and the other suspended for sexual harassment claims), and the Tories are busy fighting among themselves.

And labour councils using tax havens
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2017
    The latest twist doesn't make much sense. Why would a meeting with Yuval Rotem be any more embarrassing to the FCO than the other 12 meetings? Would anyone have noticed if the list had been 14 rather than 12 meetings?
  • Options
    Mr. P, not so sure.

A new Conservative PM taking over from May has to hold a GE either immediately or on schedule (ie 2022). Faffing about is not, I think, a reasonable option and the recent example May set could rather discourage a snap election.

Might be markets on May's departure date?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,921

The latest twist doesn't make much sense. Why would a meeting with Yuval Rotem be any more embarrassing to the FCO than the other 12 meetings? Would anyone have noticed if the list had been 14 rather than 12 meetings?

It doesn't make that much sense for Priti to come clean about 12 meetings rather than 14 either to be honest.

Still some unravelling to be done I suspect.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    FF43 said:

Cyclefree said:

I don't think I agree. This government IS incompetent but a competent government would be up against the same realities and contradictions of Brexit. In fact this government's incompetence largely stems from those contradictions, which they are incapable of resolving.

There is only one way to do Brexit properly, which is come what may. We don't look for hardship, but accept it as the price to pay for our principles. If Brexit is sold on very fuzzy principles and no cost, you have a problem.

Yes that's the nub of it. Brexit is so difficult that attempting to deliver it in the way that was
    foreshadowed in the referendum would make any government look incompetent. May's crucial mistake was not to make clear the difficulties immediately on assuming office. She was so scared of upsetting the ultras that she kowtowed to their simplistic delusions and pretended that it could all be done and dusted in two years and if there was no deal it didn't matter too much. She then compounded her error by alienating the EU with her hostile approach and language before the general election.

If she had acknowledged the scale of the task up front and prepared everyone for the long haul she might have stood a chance of success but the ultras would have seen that as an attempt to overturn the referendum result and cries of betrayal would have filled the airwaves.

The blunt truth is that divisions over Europe and Brexit has made the Tories incapable of competent government. They have not formed a stable, united administration on their own for nearly 30 years. Their incompetence is not the product of the particular set of individuals who currently occupy leadership positions - it is more fundamental than that.
  • Options
    You wouldn't have thought that this story could get any more destabilising for the government, but there it is.
  • Options
    Where did Madame Tussauds get an image of Theresa May smiling? Send it back, it is clearly not remotely true to life....
  • Options

You wouldn't have thought that this story could get any more destabilising for the government, but there it is.

Mrs May is the faecal Midas.
  • Options

John Prescott's son David is suspended by the Labour Party amid Westminster sexual harassment scandal

David Prescott was reportedly removed from his job as speechwriter to Jeremy Corbyn in the past few days.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5061487/John-Prescot-s-son-David-suspended-Labour.html

These are dark times. The world's supplies of irony are running desperately low.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    Oh dear - looks like we are approaching the fag-end of this Government (after just 5 months).
  • Options
    It seems to all depend on how fast the pilot can get Priti back to london. She could be next minister out or there could be at least two others who beat her to it. Hammond's got to be favourite to take over from May. If they're looking for a safe pair of hands no one else comes close. He could even revive Tory fortunes.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,445
    edited November 2017
    Did it not occur to anyone in Team May that sacking like this would be resisted with whatever weapons came to hand, and they had actually handed out a weapon earlier in the week?
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited November 2017

rpjs said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I bagsy Justice or DExEU
    TSE or Morris Dancer at Education? Vote now.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

She admitted the 12 meetings, but conveniently forgot the other 2 when she got back from her "hols". If I were her boss, and found one of my staff had lied consistently to my face, then after being told there were no further problems, suddenly discovered that there were, and that I was being made to look an idiot, then I would not just be spitting tacks, it would be bullets....
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,921
    Clearly she is just flying back to spend a bit more time with her family....
  • Options
    Armando Iannucci is behind all this, I'm telling you.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Your unilateral/consent point is legally doubtful. But in any event I would expect consent will be forthcoming. It's also quite possible that a late concession - such as a five-year special arrangement - on immigration might also be forthcoming, a la TB.

I agree with you about the impact on East London, but this has relatively little to do with the EU. London needs the workforce, the background to the housing crisis is well known, the financial system is stacked to fuel asset price inflation, there are few bars to overseas property investment, and the rental market is wide open to exploitation on favourable lending and tax terms (slowly being withdrawn).

Thank you for the response, my friend. I'm sure I read that A50 can be extended by mutual consent and you may be right that the EU and the UK Government will seek a longer or shorter extension if a deal looks close.

I'm also far from convinced that if Davis produces a "soft" A50 deal, some of those who voted LEAVE will accept that and they won't be happy if the options are accept the deal or stay in. It's not an issue for me - I suppose it could tear the Conservative Party apart but there you go.

As for the immigration/housing issue, the truth is property developers have land-banked 400,000 plots with planning permission on which houses could be built now. It seems sometimes the Government and the property developers have unintentionally contrived to keep the value of land high (and thus making it lucrative to sell off unused public sector land) and therefore keep the property market buoyant.

I agree it's about Supply and Demand but part of me sees us as analogous to Pharaoh's Egypt using foreign labour to build our monuments. Do we really need the Shard or the Cheese Grater ? No, we need affordable houses for individuals and families. I've long been of the view that employers should be paying more toward the provision of accommodation for workers from the EU and beyond (just as I think town centre businesses should pay extra for the provision of Police and ambulance services on Friday and Saturday nights to clear up the drunks).

The reality of cheap labour is businesses don't need to invest in improving processes or technology when another pair of hands is affordable. In the past, labour capacity issues forced businesses to look at improving productivity through technology or automation but if the pool of cheap workers is here forever, where is the rationale to do that ?

None of this alters the fact that essential public services are wilting under the demands in some places yet again all we hear from the supply-side traditionalists on the Right is the siren call for more spending cuts and more tax cuts.

• Options
    OchEye said:

She admitted the 12 meetings, but conveniently forgot the other 2 when she got back from her "hols". If I were her boss, and found one of my staff had lied consistently to my face, then after being told there were no further problems, suddenly discovered that there were, and that I was being made to look an idiot, then I would not just be spitting tacks, it would be bullets....
    Except the JC is claiming they were told about the 2 extra meetings as well. Twin sourced claim.
  • Options

Armando Iannucci is behind all this, I'm telling you.

Again

https://twitter.com/aljwhite/status/928198869258776576
  • Options

Sadly, I fear you are right. I can't help feeling after May was elected, Boris was told to FO - somehow that got translated as going to the Foreign Office. I'm someone who has had a lot of time for Boris - but his handling of matters Iranian has not been his finest hour. When you are making David Miliband's tenure as Foreign Secretary look competent, you have royally screwed the pooch. Time for a change. Party Chairman - or else time to leave the fray.

Let's have a raft of new talent. Sure, they will make some mistakes - but they will have youth on their side. They will also be beholden to Theresa May, which would give her a period of much-needed stability (before they were sufficient emboldened to start jockeying for her job, natch).

• Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    The Saudi's have an interesting way of dealing with political prisoners.....Although I believe that the haircuts may be considered rather drastic.....

https://qz.com/1122818/luxury-hotel-ritz-carlton-riyadh-is-currently-housing-political-prisoners/?mc_cid=5eb1842723&mc_eid=9047c11715
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited November 2017
    Northam's youth vote makes Jeremy Corby seem unpopular with younger voters.

https://twitter.com/williamjordann/status/928105357641207808
  • Options

Sadly, I fear you are right. I can't help feeling after May was elected, Boris was told to FO - somehow that got translated as going to the Foreign Office. I'm someone who has had a lot of time for Boris - but his handling of matters Iranian has not been his finest hour. When you are making David Miliband's tenure as Foreign Secretary look competent, you have royally screwed the pooch. Time for a change. Party Chairman - or else time to leave the fray.

Let's have a raft of new talent. Sure, they will make some mistakes - but they will have youth on their side. They will also be beholden to Theresa May, which would give her a period of much-needed stability (before they were sufficient emboldened to start jockeying for her job, natch).

May may not be in a position to make any Cabinet changes by Sunday evening.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,040

Scott_P said:
    "But the JC understands, from two different sources, that Ms Patel did disclose the meeting with Mr Rotem but was told by Number 10 not to include it as it would embarrass the Foreign and Commonwealth Office."
    We're getting into fall of the government territory now.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

I’m not talking about what George said, I’m talking about what I said about Brexit before June 23rd.

Sure.

But none of us know what things will happen and none of us know what will be the consequences of those things happening.

And, to be blunt, there's been so many warnings of imminent disasters certain to hit us within the lifetimes of PBers (none of which actually did) that I'm rather suffering from imminent disaster fatigue.
    Don't a lot of the negatives flow from the drop in the value of the £ caused by Brexit. We've already had the positives such as our exports being cheaper and the FTSE rise.
    But the hit from higher prices has almost worked through the system.

The actual boost to exports (and import substitution) takes longer as it often needs capital investment first.
    FF43 said:

Cyclefree said:

There is only one way to do Brexit properly, which is come what may. We don't look for hardship, but accept it as the price to pay for our principles.If Brexit is sold on very fuzzy principles and no cost, you have a problem.

How do you imagine those of us who don't share your 'principles' will feel about that price tag?
  • Options
    @gabyhinsliff: *if* (big if) PM was using Patel behind Boris's back, or even condoning her making foreign policy behind his back, in any other circs he'd have grounds to resign on outraged pt of principle & pose serious threat to PM

@gabyhinsliff: but as in the meantime he's done something for which he himself should probably resign, that's out the window. Leaving what's technically known as 'an uholy mess'
  • Options

How do you imagine those of us who don't share your 'principles' will feel about that price tag?

You lost. Suck it up

Is I believe the usual response
  • Options

OchEye said:

Except the JC is claiming they were told about the 2 extra meetings as well. Twin sourced claim.
    What is the JC apart from Jesus Christ?
This discussion has been closed.