Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As the sexual harassment scandal continues to dominate politic

124»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Quick braintrust question - how much is a decent amount of spending money for someone of modest means about to go on holiday in China for 10 days?

Whereabouts in China are you going ?

You'll need more in a 5* hotel in Hong Kong compared to a hostel in Kunming..
    It's a standard tour deal to beking, shanghai and xian, nice but not fancy hotels I imagine. I'm thinking just how much cash is generally advisable.
  • Options
    stevef said:

TOPPING said:

stevef said:

I voted Labour for 40 years. I have no one to vote for now because Jeremy Corbyn is totally unfit to be prime minister. Time for people to stop turning a blind eye to this man because of the student tuition and other voter bribes and for them to acknowledge that the worst possible thing that could happen to Labour would be for him to become prime minister.

Every now and again we get a glimpse of what it would be like if Corbyn was prime minister. The spectacle of Corbyn running away from the cameras as he was asked why he promoted Kelvin Hopkins underlines once more that if he ever walked into Number Ten he would toxify Labour for a generation and pave the way for decades of Tory rule.

So where does that leave sane members of the Cons and Lab both sets of whom believe their party has been retoxified?

Third party, perchance?
    I believe there is a massive reconstruction of parties that will come if Corbyn gets his hands on power. It will be the end of the Labour Party. And no, it will not be a rebirth of the Lib Dems -they toxified themselves tenfold in the coalition. But there will be a new party.
    People predicting a reconstruction like that, well, it sounds a good idea but I just cannot see it.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

One young relative of mine, when he was a first year at uni a decade or so ago, used to use the chatup line - and I quote “Do you want to f*** tonight?” on ladies in nightclubs half an hour before closing time. He used to get hundreds of slaps round the face but never left on his own! He said it was just a numbers game.

I have no problem with that approach. Most of the women said "no" and he moved on. One said "yes" so both of them were happy.

The approach may have been boorish, but "No" meant "No" and he understood that. That is what really matters. (I am assuming that since he was playing a numbers game, he had to move along fairly quickly and had no time to pester the woman into changing her mind)
    Yes, nothing really wrong with it, consensual although some of the ladies were undoubtedly rather worse for wear, but I was just completely shocked by the whole idea of such a direct approach - and the willingness of some women to engage with that approach! It won’t surprise you to know that the young man concerned now works in sales.
    The most successful salesmen I have known have used the same approach - they never wasted time trying to convince people, they simply looked for those who were ready to buy.
    Similar experience - a work colleague’s line was “Hello my name is Joe Bloggs do you want to sleep with me?”

Now a multimillionaire (he was far from that then!)
    Wasn't one of Will's lines reportedly 'I'm the future king, wanna pull?'
  • Options

brendan16 said:

Yorkcity said:

It was much easier in the last parliament , when you could sack someone for a tweet showing a picture of an England flag.

I think the point in that case was that the shadow foreign secretary was sneering and looking down her nose at people who displayed England flags on their homes.
    Or was she?
    I think she was, although I didn't think she deserved the sack for it.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

stevef said:

I voted Labour for 40 years. I have no one to vote for now because Jeremy Corbyn is totally unfit to be prime minister. Time for people to stop turning a blind eye to this man because of the student tuition and other voter bribes and for them to acknowledge that the worst possible thing that could happen to Labour would be for him to become prime minister.

Every now and again we get a glimpse of what it would be like if Corbyn was prime minister. The spectacle of Corbyn running away from the cameras as he was asked why he promoted Kelvin Hopkins underlines once more that if he ever walked into Number Ten he would toxify Labour for a generation and pave the way for decades of Tory rule.

"pave the way for decades of Tory rule"

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Let me see, Corbyn made it clear when he became leader of the LP that he wouldn't do ambush interviews under any circumstances. Mostly the press, after realising that he actually meant it, didn't bother any more, but now the exalted of Murdoch try, and getting rebuffed, cry out in "anger" that anyone should treat them with the contempt they actually deserve...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

So I guess David Davis will be resigning as Brexit Secretary soon and triggering a by election?

Snip

Amber Rudd’s department, she needs to get a serious grip on the immigration systems - the data contained within them is clearly bollox in far too many cases.
    Perhaps Rudd's predecessor is culpable for incompetence, after all, I seem to recall that they filled the position for some years....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    New thread....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

This was all making sense until you got to the 'nice watch' bit. Do women really think 'cor, look at that watch!' ?

I bought a flash watch, which my girl friends (not girlfriends) immediately named the fanny magnet.

20 years later, a single person sitting in a bar has commented on it.

He liked it a lot...
    I hope you're not forgetting that a magnet not only attracts, but will also repel....
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    brendan16 said:

AndyJS said:

Blimey, even Lewes Bonfire is going all PC:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/03/lewes-bonfire-society-agrees-to-stop-blacking-up-in-annual-parade

Fortunately the Catholic-burning aspect is as yet unaffected.

I'm surprised it's taken so long, Lewes has been a lefty sort of place for about 20 years.
    Is blacking up worse than burning effigies of the Pope and Catholics? Because the whole unpleasant event is essentially a celebration of a rather nasty period in history when Catholics were tortured and killed for real!
    Lewes 17 protestants put to the fire.
This discussion has been closed.