Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn becomes an even stronger betting favourite to be the ne

Comments

• Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    kyf_100 said:

I'm in my seventieth year and it is the first time I have felt despondent about the direction of the country. It has made a fundamental and irreversible change of direction and I do not see it recovering in my lifetime.

The Brexit fallacy is that we are taking back control. No we are not. There is no control and there never was. Countries all get tossed around by events. Remember "Events, dear boy, events!"? Nothing has changed. By isolating ourselves we just become more exposed to the turbulence of events.

I also see little hope. We simply have no politicians worthy of the job. Corbyn or JRM as possible future leaders? It would be hilarious if it was not so heartbreaking.
    However, we are also taking back the ability to directly hire and fire the people who make the laws that govern us.

The very fact that Brexit is proving so difficult shows exactly how many powers were transferred, without any real form of consent, to what is at best a largely unaccountable bureacracy with very poor democratic checks and balances.
    Our elected leaders sit on the EU Council. Our elected MEPs sit in the EU parliament. We vote for these people.

The UK Bureaucracy / Civil Service is largely unaccountable

As for directly hiring and firing "... the people who make the laws that govern us. " - have you looked at the selection of inadequates we have to choose from? I would ban the whole bl**dy lot of them and start again from fresh. Sticking pins in the Electoral Roll and selecting 650 people at random would probably produce more talent than the current shower.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Nigelb said:

Is it just me, or does Dominic Raab look disturbingly similar to the Bond villain played by Toby Stephens in Die Another Day ...?

He sounded very pissed off on the World at One today.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

rkrkrk said:

Anorak said:

Tangential to the thread topic, I can't tell you how hilarious I'd find it if the excruciatingly pious JC was caught up in the allegations. Maybe Diane can tell us a tale or two...

I think it would bring him down as leader if Diane Abbott/someone else made allegations against him.
    Of course it wouldn't. The Corbynites would assume that the whole thing was a media plot against him.
    Maybe fiction will become the new reality , an update to Chris Mullins book .A very British Coup.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Parliament is was a serious business not before it became some sort of teenage sleepover.

Fixed it for you
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

I'm in my seventieth year and it is the first time I have felt despondent about the direction of the country. It has made a fundamental and irreversible change of direction and I do not see it recovering in my lifetime.

The Brexit fallacy is that we are taking back control. No we are not. There is no control and there never was. Countries all get tossed around by events. Remember "Events, dear boy, events!"? Nothing has changed. By isolating ourselves we just become more exposed to the turbulence of events.

I also see little hope. We simply have no politicians worthy of the job. Corbyn or JRM as possible future leaders? It would be hilarious if it was not so heartbreaking.
    However, we are also taking back the ability to directly hire and fire the people who make the laws that govern us.

The very fact that Brexit is proving so difficult shows exactly how many powers were transferred, without any real form of consent, to what is at best a largely unaccountable bureacracy with very poor democratic checks and balances.
    Our elected leaders sit on the EU Council. Our elected MEPs sit in the EU parliament. We vote for these people.

As for directly hiring and firing "... the people who make the laws that govern us. " - have you looked at the selection of inadequates we have to choose from? I would ban the whole bl**dy lot of them and start again from fresh. Sticking pins in the Electoral Roll and selecting 650 people at random would probably produce more talent than the current shower.
    I'd make an exception for Frank Field and Stella Creasy and Norman Lamb. Off the top of my head.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Sean_F said:

The Conservatives are a bit dismal, and Labour are worse, but that's been the case for most of my adult life. It's certainly no reason to leave the country. On the whole, this is a good place to live in. I'd qualify for an Irish passport, but why should I want one?

The Conservatives are a divided collection of fools wearing rose-tinted glasses and Labour has been hijacked by people who ideology has failed everywhere it has been tried.

This was the best country in the world in which to live. Nowadays, it is simply on borrowed time.
    Says the poster with the flag of a country stuck in 1517 and where abortion isn't legal yet as her avatar.
    Ireland is climbing out of its dark age - the UK is returning to its dark age. We will wave at you as we pass.
    Is Corbyn going to ban abortion?
    Who knows what he will do? I am not sure Corbyn knows.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,305
    Cyclefree said:

Anorak said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    Is there any reason why there should be bars in Parliament? It's a place of work after all. Most employers don't have pubs or cocktail bars on their premises. Nor do workplace canteens generally serve alcohol.

And it's not as if London is short of bars if MPs or their staff want to imbibe. Of course this wouldn't stop misbehaviour but it might, just might, make it a little bit harder for it to happen, if there are members of the public around.
    I work in Westminster. The number of pubs is small, and the number of decent pubs is smaller still.

I'm already fed up with queuing for crap beer, so I don't want 1000+ MP, spads and assorted bag carriers clogging up the watering holes even more. They are very welcome to their subsidised bars.
    I virtually never used the bars, but for a place where people work up to 18 hours a day and are on intermittent 8 minutes' notice that they may need to vote, some sort of refreshments facility on site is essential. Anywhere that served Coca-Cola would be fine with me, but I think one has to accept that some MPs will want beer. Not serving stronger booze might make sense.
    A canteen/restaurant is fine.

I regularly worked 18 hour days. Only recently was there a canteen open in the evening. If you worked late, you ate at home or bought a sandwich or did without. The idea that I and others should be drinking while working would have been inconceivable. Indeed, it would be a disciplinary offence. Not something to be indulged let alone subsidised.
    Most hospitals have canteen facilities for most, if not all, of the 24 hours. However, alcohol isn’t available.
    And Australian cricket grounds sell a sort of watered down beer, about 2% Disgusting stuff I thought it, but people seem to enjoy it and drink lots of it.
  • Options
    Mrs C, there's no European demos and a small minority of elected politicians (with whom you're comparing the UK Civil Service, which seems unfair) are British.

This problem has built up over years, as triangulating politicians have only spoken in sceptical terms to curry domestic political favour whilst flinging powers and money at Brussels (power which was not theirs to give away).

We are in for a difficult time in the next few years, not least because whatever happens about half the country will be grumpy about it. Personally, I'm far more concerned about the self-declared friend of Hamas.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,205

kyf_100 said:

Fudge, fudge, fudge.

You cannot possibly equate the fact I have a vote in the UK with this being an equal 'voice' in the wider EU.

Take the Merkel decision to open Germany's borders to all comers last year. That was a decision taken by a German politician who I have no say in electing. However, once those immigrants attain EU citizenship via Germany, they are free to come to the UK - a decision in which I have no say whatsoever. How is this democratic?

Our elected leaders sit on the EU council and are regularly overruled. Our elected MEPs sit in the EU parliament which is toothless at best, a deliberate stitch up at worst. The EU is a technocratic bureaucracy run for the benefit of the establishment class, with a bare fig leaf of 'democracy' to hide its nakedness.

For all its negatives, and there are a great many many, Brexit will mean I will finally be able to hold those who pass laws over me accountable. This is, quite literally, taking back control.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,376
    Give him the sack, or give him an award?
    https://twitter.com/DailyMailUK/status/925751058856636416
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

kyf_100 said:

And who "governs" the price of oil, climate change, giant tech companies, the terrorist threat etc etc etc? How can people in the UK exercise influence over these factors, which have far more impact on most of us than 95% of the laws passed by Westminster and the EU put together?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/01/damian-green-investigated-alleged-inappropriate-advance-female/

"Damian Green is prepared to release text messages he sent to a female activist to a Cabinet Office inquiry in a bid to disprove allegations that he made inappropriate advances."
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Fudge, fudge, fudge.

You cannot possibly equate the fact I have a vote in the UK with this being an equal 'voice' in the wider EU.

Take the Merkel decision to open Germany's borders to all comers last year. That was a decision taken by a German politician who I have no say in electing. However, once those immigrants attain EU citizenship via Germany, they are free to come to the UK - a decision in which I have no say whatsoever. How is this democratic?

Our elected leaders sit on the EU council and are regularly overruled. Our elected MEPs sit in the EU parliament which is toothless at best, a deliberate stitch up at worst. The EU is a technocratic bureaucracy run for the benefit of the establishment class, with a bare fig leaf of 'democracy' to hide its nakedness.

For all its negatives, and there are a great many many, Brexit will mean I will finally be able to hold those who pass laws over me accountable. This is, quite literally, taking back control.

I don’t think our elected leaders are over-ruled any more frequently than any other leaders. They might have stamped their feet and thrown their toys out of the pram a bit more, that’s all.
  • Options

I don’t think our elected leaders are over-ruled any more frequently than any other leaders. They might have stamped their feet and thrown their toys out of the pram a bit more, that’s all.

This was an issue argued over in advance of the referendum and like so many things there is no easy answer:
    https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-facts-behind-claims-uk-influence/

I suspect many times the UK will have allowed things to pass unanimously rather than be the only person in the room voting against.
  • Options
    I Liked this from News Thump: http://newsthump.com/2017/11/01/brexit-negotiations-to-be-final-task-on-this-years-apprentice/

One group of clueless idiots will replace another when the negotiation of Britain’s EU divorce settlement is handed over to the finalists of The Apprentice 2017.

The last two remaining candidates will have a single day to negotiate a Brexit deal, assisted by the hapless twats who’ve already been fired. The finalist who negotiates the least devastating deal will then be crowned the winner.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Anorak said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    Is there any reason why there should be bars in Parliament? It's a place of work after all. Most employers don't have pubs or cocktail bars on their premises. Nor do workplace canteens generally serve alcohol.

And it's not as if London is short of bars if MPs or their staff want to imbibe. Of course this wouldn't stop misbehaviour but it might, just might, make it a little bit harder for it to happen, if there are members of the public around.
    I work in Westminster. The number of pubs is small, and the number of decent pubs is smaller still.

I'm already fed up with queuing for crap beer, so I don't want 1000+ MP, spads and assorted bag carriers clogging up the watering holes even more. They are very welcome to their subsidised bars.
    I virtually never used the bars, but for a place where people work up to 18 hours a day and are on intermittent 8 minutes' notice that they may need to vote, some sort of refreshments facility on site is essential. Anywhere that served Coca-Cola would be fine with me, but I think one has to accept that some MPs will want beer. Not serving stronger booze might make sense.

I regularly worked 18 hour days. Only recently was there a canteen open in the evening. If you worked late, you ate at home or bought a sandwich or did without. The idea that I and others should be drinking while working would have been inconceivable. Indeed, it would be a disciplinary offence. Not something to be indulged let alone subsidised.
    MPs aren't really employees though are they. There's no 'set' hours or terms of employment, and they have their own special status on things like tax returns.

wether thats a good thing or not is another matter...
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Fudge, fudge, fudge.

Perhaps. I'm of the view that British sovereignty ended de facto, if not necessarily de jure, with the introduction of QMV. Enlargement from 12 member states to the current 28 further diluted our sovereignty to the point of meaninglessness.

The simple fact is, for me, I want to be able to feel as if I have a say in the hiring and firing of the people who make the laws that govern me. I do not get that feeling from the EU at all. The UK is also in need of serious reform (electoral reform, lords reform, and so on). But the fact remains that the EU was by far and away the biggest threat to democratic accountability. If I believed it were possible to change things from inside, if I believed the EU was heading in a more, not less, democratic direction, I would have voted to remain.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Perhaps. I'm of the view that British sovereignty ended de facto, if not necessarily de jure, with the introduction of QMV. Enlargement from 12 member states to the current 28 further diluted our sovereignty to the point of meaninglessness.

The simple fact is, for me, I want to be able to feel as if I have a say in the hiring and firing of the people who make the laws that govern me. I do not get that feeling from the EU at all. The UK is also in need of serious reform (electoral reform, lords reform, and so on). But the fact remains that the EU was by far and away the biggest threat to democratic accountability. If I believed it were possible to change things from inside, if I believed the EU was heading in a more, not less, democratic direction, I would have voted to remain.
    I understand that argument, and indeed have some sympathy with it. However, I felt, and feel that the EU is crawling towards a proper democratic set-up and we should have been part of pushing that along, not falling for the lunacies of UKIP and electing them as our representatives.
  • Options

I Liked this from News Thump: http://newsthump.com/2017/11/01/brexit-negotiations-to-be-final-task-on-this-years-apprentice/

One group of clueless idiots will replace another when the negotiation of Britain’s EU divorce settlement is handed over to the finalists of The Apprentice 2017.

The last two remaining candidates will have a single day to negotiate a Brexit deal, assisted by the hapless twats who’ve already been fired. The finalist who negotiates the least devastating deal will then be crowned the winner.

Sorry - I thought that was a report from Brussels on the current progress... :D
  • Options

And who "governs" the price of oil, climate change, giant tech companies, the terrorist threat etc etc etc? How can people in the UK exercise influence over these factors, which have far more impact on most of us than 95% of the laws passed by Westminster and the EU put together?

I made exactly that point in another post down-thread
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

@OKC

The Lisbon Treaty/Constitution was the Rubicon.

We were promised a vote. It was reneged on. Blatantly. My belief in the good faith of our leaders on this went. We were being shoe horned whether we wanted it or not along the road the ever closer union.

I really wanted Cameron to pull the chestnuts out of the fire with a real renegotiation, but neither he nor any of the European leaders took it seriously. So having been denied any number of possibilities to be consulted on this over decades, in ways that would not have meant leaving, the one time we were was the nuclear option, which not many in power and comfort thought we'd take. Hence the trauma ever since, because deep down a lot of our political class going back decades realise they screwed up royally.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

kyf_100 said:

I'd make an exception for Frank Field and Stella Creasy and Norman Lamb. Off the top of my head.
    Normally I would agree, but I am becoming more jaded with the whole d*rn lot.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

. However, I felt, and feel that the EU is crawling towards a proper democratic set-up
    Where do you get that feeling from ? Any particular event or events ?
  • Options
    Mr. Owl, I agree with much of that.

Although I think much of the political class is upset with the electorate rather than themselves. They've locked us in so close that leaving is very difficult, and blame the electorate for wanting out rather than themselves for binding the UK so badly.

The deceit over the Lisbon referendum (the Constitution with a new font and a few paragraphs reordered) was rancid.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

@OKC

We were promised a vote. It was reneged on. Blatantly. My belief in the good faith of our leaders on this went. We were being shoe horned whether we wanted it or not along the road the ever closer union.

I really wanted Cameron to pull the chestnuts out of the fire with a real renegotiation, but neither he nor any of the European leaders took it seriously. So having been denied any number of possibilities to be consulted on this over decades, in ways that would not have meant leaving, the one time we were was the nuclear option, which not many in power and comfort thought we'd take. Hence the trauma ever since, because deep down a lot of our political class going back decades realise they screwed up royally.

We should have had a vote over Lisbon. Almost Brown’s Iraq.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,983
    kyf_100 said:

Brexit is about our freedom to eat chlorinated chicken. That's it. Everything else is downside.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/925754290290995200
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Anorak said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

MPs aren't really employees though are they. There's no 'set' hours or terms of employment, and they have their own special status on things like tax returns.

They are still working when voting and hanging round waiting to vote. So, IMO, they should not be getting pissed.

Once they’ve finished voting they can go off home or to a pub to get pissed to their heart’s content, at their own expense. Just like the rest of us.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    It reads surprisingly well, given he has to keep to his capitalisation plan across the whole piece.
    Sandpit said:

• Options
    Mr. 43, didn't we used to have chlorinated chicken a few decades ago? It seems very much a 50/50 issue, to be honest.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

@OKC

This. Exactly this.
  • Options

Mr. Owl, I agree with much of that.

Although I think much of the political class is upset with the electorate rather than themselves. They've locked us in so close that leaving is very difficult, and blame the electorate for wanting out rather than themselves for binding the UK so badly.

The deceit over the Lisbon referendum (the Constitution with a new font and a few paragraphs reordered) was rancid.

Quite. Maastricht, Nice, Amsterdam, Lisbon all options to say "hang on we think this is going too far too fast, change course a bit please". I suspect our politicos knew there was a high chance that would be the result of consulting, but on they ploughed regardless, till eventually the ballot box caught up with them.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,169
    FF43 said:

kyf_100 said:

Brexit is about our freedom to eat chlorinated chicken. That's it. Everything else is downside.

twitter.com/SkyNews/status/925754290290995200
    Hm, which would you prefer, chlorinated chicken or horsemeat lasagne? :smiley:
  • Options

Quite so. Such a good point that it's worth making again and again.
  • Options
    I see we've reached the point where Leavers are blaming politicians for their own insanity.

You've got to admire the adventurousness of the approach.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Anorak said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

They are employed by the electorate, are they not?
  • Options

:+1: Thanks!
  • Options

welshowl said:

@OKC

I agree 100%.
  • Options

I see we've reached the point where Leavers are blaming politicians for their own insanity.

We're all leavers now.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,816
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Is it just me, or does Dominic Raab look disturbingly similar to the Bond villain played by Toby Stephens in Die Another Day ...?

He sounded very pissed off on the World at One today.
    Can't blame him for being very cross indeed, if he's been unjustly accused.
  • Options
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

kyf_100 said:

twitter.com/SkyNews/status/925754290290995200
    Hm, which would you prefer, chlorinated chicken or horsemeat lasagne? :smiley:
    Horsemeat lasagne was illegal whereas the putative chlorinated chicken is not only legal but mustn't be discriminated against. Huge difference. :smiley:
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Let us blame the EU for the UK govt failing to hold the promised referendum???
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited November 2017
    @Sean_F Thanks for your reply in the previous thread. It looks like this issue has been going on for a very long time now, in all the mainstream political parties.
  • Options

welshowl said:

@OKC

We should not take complex, multi-faceted decisions like this by referenda. Margaret Thatcher is alleged to have said that referenda were the tools of dictators and demagogues and she was right about that. The Germans, who have more reason than most to regret decisions taken by referenda, have a constitutional ban on them and we would be wise to follow their example.
  • Options

welshowl said:

No I was blaming the UK Govt for not holding it.

Had they I think it would've crashed and burnt so less extended QMV in all likelihood.

The fact the vote was not held in and of itself altered the prism through which many of us saw this issue. It crystallised our thoughts into a binary choice.
  • Options

Mr. 43, didn't we used to have chlorinated chicken a few decades ago? It seems very much a 50/50 issue, to be honest.

Yeah but as freedom to eat chlorinated chicken is the only real upside of Brexit is it really worth the grief, pain and dislocation?
  • Options
    Mr. Nick, would you have approved of the idea of a referendum over Lisbon?

There's a case to be made that the removal of powers (such as vetoes) from the politicians with whom we entrust power should require the assent of the electorate.

I do think some issues require a referendum to be settled legitimately. It was significantly unhelpful that both sides of the EU campaign managed to be almost uniformly dreadful.
  • Options

welshowl said:

@OKC

We should not take complex, multi-faceted decisions like this by referenda. Margaret Thatcher is alleged to have said that referenda were the tools of dictators and demagogues and she was right about that. The Germans, who have more reason than most to regret decisions taken by referenda, have a constitutional ban on them and we would be wise to follow their example.
    But if you don't have any mainstream party offering a particular option - i.e. leave the EU - then fringe or single issue parties rise in support - mainstream parties have to react to stay in power.

See Kippers (remember them ? ) in Uk and various other parties accross the EU.

If there hadn't been a referendum offered who is to speculate how high kipper support would have risen ?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,080
    Will the last person out of Hollywood please turn out the lights...
  • Options
    Mr. 43, I disagree with your caricature.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

welshowl said:

No I was blaming the UK Govt for not holding it.

Had they I think it would've crashed and burnt so less extended QMV in all likelihood.

The fact the vote was not held in and of itself altered the prism through which many of us saw this issue. It crystallised our thoughts into a binary choice.
    Thanks for explaining!
  • Options

welshowl said:

@OKC

While I agree, having, effectively, promised one and then not holding one gave us the worst of all worlds.
    Well, the worst until we got where we are now!
  • Options

Mr. 43, I disagree with your caricature.

You're right about the caricature. We either do what we are told by the EU (while having some influence over those decisions) or we do what we are told by the EU and the US (and have no influence). Seriously, there is no real upside to Brexit that I can see.
  • Options
    Hurrah for Parliamentary sovereignty.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,700
    edited November 2017
    Agreed, the next PM will almost certainly be a Tory even if Corbyn forms a government after the next general election (which on present polls he would with LD and SNP support). Corbyn is held in this market by being the only Labour contender against multiple Tories.
  • Options
    JRM is a member of the elite, Eton, Banker, and son of a newspaper editor.

Why is he giving succour to the EU and damage our negotiations ?
  • Options
    Mr Dancer, I uploaded a video I took from the start of the Singapore GP in 2013, standing 100m from the start line and about 2m from the track. Noisy ;)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/j51tm26vco7a43g/SG F1 Start.MOV?dl=0
  • Options
    Surely the PM can just classify them as cabinet papers, or top secret?
  • Options

There has always been stuff like this affecting our lives. It is an argument for co-operation and co-ordination, the precise nature of which people can debate.

It is not, though, an argument against democratic accountability.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I’d have them marked TS and released completely redacted bar the title of each document.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, d'you get spectators wearing ear defenders?
  • Options

Mr. Sandpit, d'you get spectators wearing ear defenders?

Yup! :D
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

I’d have them marked TS and released completely redacted bar the title of each document.
    I wouldn't object to them being released to the Brexit committee members, but to the public (i.e. EU)?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,833
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

I wouldn't object to them being released to the Brexit committee members, but to the public (i.e. EU)?
    Would you trust MPs not to leak? I don't
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

James May did it as well, of course.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:JamesMayAutocar.jpg
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

The respect for Parliamentary sovereignty among these Leavers is flaky. It's almost as if that isn't the real motivation of many Leavers.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Indeed, no problem with people holding appropriate clearance on the committee being allowed to see them under Privy Council terms.

But that’s not what Starmer wants.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

The respect for Parliamentary sovereignty among these Leavers is flaky. It's almost as if that isn't the real motivation of many Leavers.
    I cannot understand their obsession with importing chlorinated chicken. Surely they should be promoting healthy British chicken.
  • Options

While I agree, having, effectively, promised one and then not holding one gave us the worst of all worlds.
    Well, the worst until we got where we are now!

Exactly my point. People were effectively told that they could make 2+2 become 5 just by voting for it to happen. This was an exercise in deception, not an exercise in democracy.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

I cannot understand their obsession with importing chlorinated chicken. Surely they should be promoting healthy British chicken.
    Some Quorn chicken for me, please :)
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

:+1: Thanks!
    It is an utterly bonkers point; an important part of being sane lies in recognising that we don't have much control over most things, but still thinking that we should soldier on and control as much as we can. How do you rule out an extrapolation of your position to: I am going to die at some stage, I might get cancer tomorrow, the earth is going to be made uninhabitable by the dying sun in a couple of billion years, so I'm not going to get out of bed in the morning?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,700
    edited November 2017

JRM is a member of the elite, Eton, Banker, and son of a newspaper editor.

Why is he giving succour to the EU and damage our negotiations ?
    JRM believes the risks of no deal are exaggerated 'like the millennium bug' and even May's 2 year transition period is not needed.
    http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/jacob-rees-mogg-to-vince-cable-no-deal-risks-are-o/://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/858131/Jacob-Rees-Mogg-May-transition-UK-Brexit
  • Options
    Strategists will recognise the Empty Fortress Strategyin the government's approach to Brexit. China's most famous general attempted to hold a defenceless city against superior forces by opening the gates and partying on the walls. His opponents, knowing how crafty he was, suspected a trap and passed by the city, as Zhuge Liang knew they would do.

The flaw in this plan is that the EU know Brexit is empty and think May and Davis are deluded, not cunning.

Releasing the papers won't make the slightest difference to the negotiations with the EU. They may or may not make a difference to the government's ability to fool a part of the population.
  • Options
    A very interesting article on "no deal or bad deal" from an Irish perspective:

https://twitter.com/kevinhorourke/status/925674476607598592

Well worth a read, whatever your Brexit leanings.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    FF43 said:

Strategists will recognise the Empty Fortress Strategyin the government's approach to Brexit. China's most famous general attempted to hold a defenceless city against superior forces by opening the gates and partying on the walls. His opponents, knowing how crafty he was, suspected a trap and passed by the city, as Zhuge Liang knew they would do.

The flaw in this plan is that the EU know Brexit is empty and think May and Davis are deluded, not cunning.

Releasing the papers won't make the slightest difference to the negotiations with the EU. They may or may not make a difference to the government's ability to fool a part of the population.

Well if it will make no difference to the negotation, then they might as well be kept secret then.

• Options
    Mr. 43, better zither than dither ;)
  • Options

A very interesting article on "no deal or bad deal" from an Irish perspective:

https://twitter.com/kevinhorourke/status/925674476607598592

Well worth a read, whatever your Brexit leanings.

I think the Irish border issue will be finessed. The point is a valid one but it is likely to be resolved as a permanent border (and undesirable from the writer's POV). I read somewhere that the Irish question has been moved to round two of the Brexit talks - ie it will be tacked along with the transition period and future trading relationship and not with the preliminary issues of citizenship and money.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,085
    edited November 2017
    Twitter, so take with caution, but there are reports of a vehicle driven into people in Covent Garden.

Edited extra bit: conflicting reports of crash or terrorism.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

How do you rule out an extrapolation of your position to: I am going to die at some stage, I might get cancer tomorrow, the earth is going to be made uninhabitable by the dying sun in a couple of billion years, so I'm not going to get out of bed in the morning?

I do not rule out your extrapolation. I now live my life by the very principles you outline. Since, in the overall scheme of things, I will make no discernible difference, I might as well have a hell of a time and slide into my coffin bankrupt and worn out after enjoying everything the world has to offer. I am retiring later this month. I see no point in saving or working any harder than I have to.

I cannot take it with me. There are no pockets in a shroud.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Parliamentary sovereignty shall thankfully return on the day we leave the EU.

I’ve no objection at all with allowing the viewing of sensitive negotiation documents under Privy Council terms, but that’s not what Kier Starmer wants. He wants us to go into the most difficult and delicate negotiations in decades with all our cards face up on the table.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

FF43 said:

Well if it will make no difference to the negotation, then they might as well be kept secret then.

Politicians will score points. For everyone else there is maybe value in knowing what's coming down the pike, so you can flee do something about it.

Incidentally, Theresa May was asked at her last press conference, if it is so important for the government to prepare for a no deal, what would she say to businesses that might also want to prepare for a no deal by moving their operations away from the UK. She didn't answer.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Healthy British Chicken raised to ethical standards - £5 per kg*
    American battery farmed, chlorinated chicken - £0.50p per kg*

Choose...

* Chicken can come up and well as go down and you may get your dinner back. Chicken may be variable in quality and represent a poor dietry investment as well as hormonal and anitbiotic boosts. Price shown are for illustration purposes only. Real outcome could be much worse. Salmonella and C Difficile only available on selected budget plans.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

I’ve no objection at all with allowing the viewing of sensitive negotiation documents under Privy Council terms, but that’s not what Kier Starmer wants. He wants us to go into the most difficult and delicate negotiations in decades with all our cards face up on the table.
    I don't think he wants the UK to go into the negotiations at all....
  • Options

Twitter, so take with caution, but there are reports of a vehicle driven into people in Covent Garden.

https://twitter.com/MPSWestminster/status/925775762115964928
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548

Have just seen photos, a friend from Twitter is there. Sounds like taxi has driven through a crowd sadly.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

He wants us to go into the most difficult and delicate negotiations in decades with all our cards face up on the table.

No

The only people who haven't seen the cards are the British public, and the Government don't want us to know how weak the hand is.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Lord give me Parliamentary sovereignty, but not yet. The Augustinian Brexiteers strike.
  • Options
    Further on that taxi incident, police saying it's not terror related.

Which reminds me, what happened regarding the other not terrorism taxi that hit people at a museum? Not heard anything about the chap being arrested/charged with dangerous driving.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

So why do you think JRM supports their publication?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Healthy British Chicken raised to ethical standards - £5 per kg
    American battery farmed, chlorinated chicken - £0.50p per kg

Choose...
    Google "2 sisters chicken" and/or listen to radio 4 Food Programme before getting overly excited about the superior quality of UK chicken. Also bear in mind that if you use mains water you are a chlorinated human.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Some Quorn chicken for me, please :)
    Genetically modified quorn chicken, maybe?
  • Options

As noted upthread, JRM doesn't care if the negotiations crash and burn. He would be delighted with no deal
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Because he doesn't know what's in them, and he doesn't have to negotiate the settlement.
This discussion has been closed.