Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Concerned about Brexit/Trump/Catalonia/Etc? A special message

SystemSystem Posts: 11,744
edited October 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Concerned about Brexit/Trump/Catalonia/Etc? A special message from Marf

Follow @MSmithsonPB // < ![CDATA[ // < ![CDATA[ xfunction(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs"); // ]]>

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,181
    First; is that a sign I ought to get out more?
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Yes :D
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Usually! either that or insomnia...
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Everything’s going to be alright

• Options

Usually! either that or insomnia...
    Must cut the lawn before it rains.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2017
    fpt;
    Mortimer said:

Pong said:

HYUFD said:

The wealthy are using equity release to try and avoid IHT:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/personal-banking/mortgages/rising-house-prices-inheritance-tax-fuelling-middle-class-equity/

A loophole that Hammond will take a look at?

No, as much of that equity release goes to fund deposits for their children to get on the housing ladder.
    And price the kids without significant inheritances out of the housing market altogether.

F*ck the poor, vote Conservative
    Outside of the South, housing is largely still affordable.

It's not as clear cut as you are astroturfing
    I feel a little sorry for the tories who fooled themselves into believing their party cared about meritocracy. Y'know, getting on in life through your own efforts.

The client vote have the party - and the country - by the balls.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,042
    Pong said:

fpt;

Mortimer said:

Pong said:

HYUFD said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/personal-banking/mortgages/rising-house-prices-inheritance-tax-fuelling-middle-class-equity/

No, as much of that equity release goes to fund deposits for their children to get on the housing ladder.
    And price the kids without significant inheritances out of the housing market altogether.

I feel a little sorry for the tories who fooled themselves into believing their party cared about meritocracy. Y'know, getting on in life through your own efforts.

If I had a penny for every time you uttered the words “client vote”....
  • Options
    Pong said:

fpt;

Mortimer said:

Pong said:

HYUFD said:

It was Labour who presided above the massive house-price boom. And didn't care about it. Other than whacking up Moving Tax on anyone trying to buy a home.

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    RobD said:

Pong said:

fpt;

Mortimer said:

Pong said:

HYUFD said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clientelism
  • Options
    Pong said:

RobD said:

Pong said:

fpt;

Mortimer said:

Pong said:

HYUFD said:

Yeah, it’s just ridiculous given that Labour were promising to do more to protect the supposed client vote than the Tories (triple lock, social care, WFA for millionaires).
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    Pong said:

fpt;

Mortimer said:

Pong said:

HYUFD said:

All these propositions are true:

1. large parts of the UK have affordable housing.
    2. In large parts of the country people have no hope of ever owning housing.
    3. Substandard private rented sector housing is widespread and increasing.
    4. Homelessness is widespread.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwqhdRs4jyA
  • Options
    Is Gove proving to be more trouble than he's worth? Not only would we now have PM Boris were it not for him, but he's now matched Jared O'Mara and the crass-remarks stakes. And this just as the Tories were claiming the moral high ground over Labour. Poor politics.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,007

Is Gove proving to be more trouble than he's worth? Not only would we now have PM Boris were it not for him, but he's now matched Jared O'Mara and the crass-remarks stakes. And this just as the Tories were claiming the moral high ground over Labour. Poor politics.

I have a feeling Gove's comments are just the "warm up" to the main event which will be the revelations in the Sunday papers, Re. sleazy MP's.

Beers and popcorn on stand-bye as we wait to see who is exposed? ;)
  • Options

I think that might be a bit of wishful thinking on your part. He’s been getting some good press recently for the work he’s doing at Defra.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,056
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. Dawning, Gove's comment was daft but that's over-egging the cake.

On-topic: if nothing else works, a pigheaded unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,614
    Surely every little thing is gonna be alright?

Unless you are a Spurs fan of course.
  • Options
    What has Gove done btw?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

What has Gove done btw?

Nothing at all except provide an excuse for the feckwits to moan again.
  • Options
    Mr. L, made a Weinstein joke many think ill-advised.
  • Options

Not the audience, apparently.
  • Options

Was it funny?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I have a feeling Gove's comments are just the "warm up" to the main event which will be the revelations in the Sunday papers, Re. sleazy MP's.

Beers and popcorn on stand-bye as we wait to see who is exposed? ;)
    Gove should have the party whip removed. Otherwise Labour can claim that Jezza acted decisively over Jared O'Mara while Theresa dithered over Gove. What a frightful mess!
  • Options
    Mr. D, that does sound akin the professor hounded out of his job situation, although I do think politicians should be more careful than the average man when it comes to their words.
  • Options
    " And all shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well. '"

Lady Julian of Norwich obviously never had a showing of Social Media but I cling to her eschatology never the less.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Was it funny?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvjQDNKT-E4

• Options
    Mr. Dawning, that's a gross over-reaction. Give is not O'Mara.

Mr. L, I think he said that appearing on the Today programme was akin to an actress meeting Weinstein (one hoped to emerge with their dignity intact). Whether that's funny or not is subjective. I do think it was an unwise jest to make.
  • Options
    Gove* isn't O'Mara either. Can we no longer edit posts?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Was it funny?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvjQDNKT-E4

Yeah, not smart. Hey ho.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    edited October 2017
    Next week Sadiq Khan will go on Today and compare being interviewed by John Humphreys to a WWC girl getting in a Rotherham Taxi. PB Tories will then flood the following thread saying it was a harmless joke and the ensuing firestorm is political correctness gone mad.
  • Options

Next week Sadiq Khan will go on Today and compare being interviewed by John Humphreys to a WWC girl getting in a Rotherham Taxi. PB Tories will then flood the ensuring thread saying it was a harmless joke and the ensuing firestorm is political correctness gone mad.

Want to put money on that?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,209
    DavidL said:

Martial lore?
  • Options
    Mr. Submarine, ... does this mean I've been thrown out of PB Tory Club?
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    DavidL said:

True can not see Spurs winning anything , especially after the last two results against Man u and West Ham.
  • Options
    Gove's blunder is damaging. The Weinstein saga has started a national debate about sexual harassment in the workplace, yet Gove seems to think it's all just a jolly jape. This confirms the notion of the Tories as arrogant and tin eared - a notion that did so much damage to them in the 1990s and which Dave worked hard to dispel. The government is starting to have the look of Gentleman's John's circa 1996: both hapless and aloof.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    DavidL said:

Was it funny?
    No. The audience are laughing because he can’t get in self out of the hole he is talking himself into.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T

Interesting article by Jonathan Maitland:

"The idiot box: how the allure of working in TV ruined Britain
    How a generation of our brightest minds were lured into the vacuous world of television
    Jonathan Maitland"

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/10/the-idiot-box-how-the-allure-of-working-in-tv-ruined-britain/
  • Options

Gove's blunder is damaging. The Weinstein saga has started a national debate about sexual harassment in the workplace, yet Gove seems to think it's all just a jolly jape. This confirms the notion of the Tories as arrogant and tin eared - a notion that did so much damage to them in the 1990s and which Dave worked hard to dispel. The government is starting to have the look of Gentleman's John's circa 1996: both hapless and aloof.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-sexual-harassment-all-women-lying-says-white-house-sarah-huckabee-sanders-a8024136.html Surely not in same league as Trump
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    DavidL said:

Bingo!

I have been lucky in the FIFA draw and have SF tickets for me and Fox jr.

Fingers crossed for the final draw!

No way am I supporting the Germans in Russia, if England not in the SF will favour an EU team.

:)
  • Options

How do you know , we would need to see 15 years of Gove's internet jokes.
  • Options
    Mr. City, show me the comments Gove made that compare to O'Mara's and I'll agree. Otherwise, there's no evidence.
  • Options
    Gove's joke is the sort of joke I would tell.

It's also one of the reasons I wouldn't go into politics.
  • Options
    True an unknown unknowns on anyone really .If they trawled through everyone's internet usage then published it.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,766
    RobD said:

I think that might be a bit of wishful thinking on your part. He’s been getting some good press recently for the work he’s doing at Defra.
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/924243852793401346
  • Options

Need some perspective here. If you listen to the tape it is was well received by the audience with applause and laughter. Too many snowflakes around at present
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,228

Pong said:

fpt;

Mortimer said:

Pong said:

HYUFD said:

It was Labour who presided above the massive house-price boom. And didn't care about it. Other than whacking up Moving Tax on anyone trying to buy a home.

And oversaw record immigration, “to rub the right’s noses in diversity”.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,423
    Yorkcity said:

How do you know , we would need to see 15 years of Gove's internet jokes.
    https://twitter.com/drrichcollins/status/773613219575390208
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, what's the SLS?

On the face of it, that joke looks rather good. I recall Black Lives Matter blaming racism when a black guy was killed by a black police officer.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,975
    DavidL said:

Was it funny?
    Witty, for sure. And the audience found it funny.

It's just the season ticket holders of the outrage bus who are kicking up a fuss.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,058
    I thought Gove's joke was amusing.*

*Is that an allowed opinion these days ?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Was it funny?

It's just the season ticket holders of the outrage bus who are kicking up a fuss.
    https://twitter.com/ShellyAsquith/status/924194879848308736
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, yes. And it's permitted to think it went too far too.

I agree with the underlying sentiment of your question, though. People seem happy to throw away nuance and there's an increasing insistence things must be either forbidden or mandatory.

It's not a healthy state of affairs.

At the moment, I've been thrown out of PB Tory Club and onto the outrage bus :p
  • Options
    Jess Philips has probably come up with the best response so far. Not too over the top, but gently made the point:

https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/924188335056343040
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Me too, and I'm not exactly a Gove fan.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Was it funny?

Mr Meeks on the previous thread was bang on about this. People won't care; in fact, I suspect many will think more of him for displaying a human, non politically correct side.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,026

Pulpstar said:

Ditto
  • Options

Jess Philips has probably come up with the best response so far. Not too over the top, but gently made the point:

Yes; Jess Phillips is, generally, an asset to our public life
  • Options
    King Cole, hmm. Scoffing at the prospect of discussing why so many men kill themselves was not an edifying spectacle, though.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Just because it is actually amusing, doesn't also mean it was crass and awful at the same time. He's a front rank pol, not a poundshop Russell Brand.
  • Options
    England 0 Spain 1 in the under 17’s. So far.

Don’t know the Catalonian score!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,252

And what about the many people in the audience who laughed?
  • Options

King Cole, hmm. Scoffing at the prospect of discussing why so many men kill themselves was not an edifying spectacle, though.

I wrote ‘generally', Mr D. Not invariably.
  • Options
    King Cole, I know, but perhaps not everyone reading your comment would be aware that the MP in question, who is displeased with the Weinstein joke was content herself to make light of men killing themselves.

She might care to look in the mirror.
  • Options
    OMG. Trump has just sent a sensible, normal tweet about opiates.

There's been a coup d'etat at the White House this morning.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,349
    edited October 2017
    Pong said:

fpt;

Mortimer said:

Pong said:

HYUFD said:

The Tories have always been the party of family, tradition and meritocracy, they are conservatives after all.

It is classical laissez-faire liberals who are focused on supposed 'meritocracy' alone. Conservatives are not socialists but they are not liberals either.
  • Options
    F1: third practice about to begin. At the moment, it looks tight between the top six.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,349
    RobD said:

Pong said:

RobD said:

Pong said:

fpt;

Mortimer said:

Pong said:

HYUFD said:

Yeah, it’s just ridiculous given that Labour were promising to do more to protect the supposed client vote than the Tories (triple lock, social care, WFA for millionaires).
    May and Hammond's biggest mistake was not doing enough to look after the 'client vote.' That was one thing Cameron and Osborne got right in 2015.
  • Options

People seem happy to throw away nuance and there's an increasing insistence things must be either forbidden or mandatory.

But, Mr D, PB has been that way for years :D:D

That has never bothered anyone around here before

You have club? Is there a password and a secret handshake?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Was it funny?

Mr Meeks on the previous thread was bang on about this. People won't care; in fact, I suspect many will think more of him for displaying a human, non politically correct side.
    Yep. The ones without dignity are the ones banging on about it because it serves their political viewpoint.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Need some perspective here. If you listen to the tape it is was well received by the audience with applause and laughter. Too many snowflakes around at present
    Winter is coming ....

Bit of a Stark message, I know... ;)
  • Options

People seem happy to throw away nuance and there's an increasing insistence things must be either forbidden or mandatory.

But, Mr D, PB has been that way for years :D:D

That has never bothered anyone around here before

You have club? Is there a password and a secret handshake?
    I think it’s borrowed from one of his minor warrior characters!
  • Options
    Oh dear. Spain 2-0 up.
  • Options
    F1: another Renault engine goes bang. Pierre Gasly the unfortunate man this time. 3 hours to change it before qualifying.
  • Options
    Mrs C, we don't shake hands. We devour children. And enjoy Powerpoint presentations about tax cuts.

Mwahahaha!

Mr. Sandpit, Gasly was already looking at a penalty for control electronics.
  • Options
    Gove has issued a grovelling apology for his 'clumsy attempt at humour'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41787710

Quite right. His utterance was lacking in humanity and utterly crass. His defenders on here should have the good grace to admit they called it wrong.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,469
    Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Was it funny?

I'm missing the wit - perhaps you could explain it ?
    And FWIW, there seems to be an equal amount of snowflakery fuss kicking up from those who can't accept critiques of crap jokes...
  • Options

Quite right. His utterance was lacking in humanity and utterly crass. His defenders on here should have the good grace to admit they called it wrong.

Nonsense
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Was it funny?

And FWIW, there seems to be an equal amount of snowflakery fuss kicking up from those who can't accept critiques of crap jokes...
    Did you listen to the tape and Kinnock's comment and the audience applause and laughter.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Was it funny?

I've found that people on high horses struggle to hear explanations.

I've no problem with people finding something unfunny; I have huge problems with people suggesting making bad jokes is morally wrong.
  • Options
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,058
    Was round a friends last night, a friend of hers has just started working for the NHS; and she's noticed a huge amount of wasteful practice there (Disposal of unopened kit !).
    She voted Corbyn last time before anyone wonders if it was the local Tory association.
  • Options

Winter is coming ....

More like House Bolton - Gove as the Flayed Man....?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Was round a friends last night, a friend of hers has just started working for the NHS; and she's noticed a huge amount of wasteful practice there (Disposal of unopened kit !).
    She voted Corbyn last time before anyone wonders if it was the local Tory association.

The biggest waste in the NHS is people not taking care of themselves. It is our NHS and it is our responsibility to look after our own health.

Start with diet, exercise and smoking. Lots of savings for the NHS there.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Winter is coming ....

You'll be needing your coat then...

Are you a strictly fan?

https://twitter.com/susancalman/status/924165852487876609
  • Options

Nah - it's Trump: Phase Two. Just when his critics thought they had the measure of the man....
  • Options

Nah - it's Trump: Phase Two. Just when his critics thought they had the measure of the man....

https://twitter.com/aguirreryan/status/923993670159699968
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Was it funny?

Did you listen to the tape and Kinnock's comment and the audience applause and laughter.
    We seem to be stuck in a time warp with things being repe........

• Options

Oh dear. Spain 2-0 up.

If there are any Catalans playing for Spain we could claim they should be disqualified.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Was it funny?

I've found that people on high horses struggle to hear explanations.

I've no problem with people finding something unfunny; I have huge problems with people suggesting making bad jokes is morally wrong.
    So get down off your high horse and explain.
    I set out quite clearly on the previous thread why, in my opinion, it was simply a crap attempt at humour, and utterly lacking in the wit one might expect from a man of Gove's intellect.

I've heard a lot of guys explain they found it funny - and none why.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/923242548646293504
  • Options
    Hmm. Current thoughts are that my F1 assumptions are going to be entirely wrong :p
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

The Minister of Silly Walks has always had a sense of humour deficit. I am not sure why he even tries.

He lacks the human touch. That's why his crude attempt in fellating Boris in the leadership elections thinking his own chances would actually improve. What a pillock!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Winter is coming ....

You'll be needing your coat then...

Are you a strictly fan?

twitter.com/susancalman/status/924165852487876609
    With two left feet, I do not really dance, I just spasm noisely in the middle of the dance floor :)

• Options

Hmm. Current thoughts are that my F1 assumptions are going to be entirely wrong :p

Just possible that Hamilton has engine problems... "power issues".
    I guess an enforced engine change before qualifying wouldn't be the worst thing for him.

• Options

This seems to be something that Trump really cares about, and it’s affecting millions of people in his suporters’ heartlands.

He’s also a teetotaller who’s seen plenty of people he knows screwed up by drugs legal and illegal.

Good luck to him in sorting out the problem though, it’s not going to be an easy one.
  • Options

Top six on the grid might as well be decided by drawing lots, it’s that close between them.
  • Options
    In case you missed it, Charles Powell lecture, live tweeted by Adonis, on Mrs T and EU:

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/924170360219676672
This discussion has been closed.