Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » “TEN COMMANDMENTS” poll finds LD voters most relaxed about mur

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Here we go again - you are relying on what shouty Islam said that Gove said, not what Gove actually said

Calm down dear.

I never mentioned Gove.

In this case, the head of a pharmaceutical manufacturer, who might be considered an expert in that field, made a statement that is disputed by Brexiteers.

Just like the meaning of Article 50 is confidently expounded by the Brexiteers in contradiction to the guy that wrote it.

They know better than experts.

Those are the facts, and they are not in dispute...
    So what does "again" refer to, if not to Gove vs shouty Faisal?

You really are all at sea about, well, everything. As to the meaning of Article 50, it is a clear principle of the law on the construction of documents that the intention of "the guy who wrote it" is of limited value, and in many cases is inadmissible as evidence. You are, in other words, dead wrong.

Pascal Soriot is a vet by training and a CEO by career so, no, he is unlikely to be an expert on the law governing his company's exports to China and when he needs to know about it, I guess he consults an expert. So again, you are wrong.

And here is something Richard Feynman said: "Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." And Feynman was an expert. Doesn't it do your head in?
    Slightly desperate there, a bit cringy also.
    What?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,021
    edited October 2017
    FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

Even Barnier has now said he is working towards a Canada style FTA with the UK, yet more hysterics from hard-core Remainers.
    Barnier doesn't pretend to be offering the UK a pleasant prospect. (In fact it might ease the present negotiations if he did pretend that). He explains a Canada type deal will take years to negotiate, it will be after the transition period has completed (we're presumably on the No trade Deal in the meantime). It would be highly complex and nothing like what we have now.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/23/uk-likely-to-end-up-with-canadian-style-deal-warns-michel-barnier
    In his view it would be less pleasant than the single market or EU yes but it would still be a deal and a deal which crucially enables free movement to be ended and replaced by a points system unlike the 2 former options.
    If you lose your job because we are no longer trading as much as we did before, or your welfare because there isn't the taxbase any more, will you care two hoots about having a points system?
    Yet more diehard Remainer fanaticism on any form of compromise, a Canada style FTA is not going to lead to a Great Depression.
    Who's being fanatical? I am just pointing out that the ability of bureaucrats to apply points to foreigners doesn't motivate anyone much. If that's all you get - maybe - eventually - with the Canada deal, you might as well make a REAL compromise such as EEA,
    A points system with immigration limited to those with skills we need is pretty much what we apply to the rest of the world rather than taking in anyone who crosses the Channel which is the case with free movement, exacerbated by Blair's failure to impose transition controls. Your 'real compromise' effectively involves throwing back working class Leavers Leave votes in their face given new immigration controls was the main reason they voted Leave, EEA was more a motivator for middle class Leavers.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    SeanT said:

Charles said:

Give us your money or it's a "horror scenario" is not constructive
    War it is, then.
    It would have been far more beneficial for them to move straight to a trade agreement and been tough as nails on that - they would have probably got a very good outcome which would have lasted indefinitely

The likelihood of a work around on - for example - flights not being found is minimal: if the EU prevents planes coming in an out of the UK then that is an unbelievable hostile act towards a friendly neighbour. I think they've overplayed their hand

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,125
    edited October 2017
    Mr. rkrkrk, I've heard similar things (well, going to Japan to teach Japanese kids English).

I'd forgotten about that until you mentioned it. Maybe I should see about visiting Tokyo or Seoul (I'm going to look nearer to home for more normal jobs that require less upheaval, but it'd be interesting buggering off to the Far East).

I'm uncertain whether I'd be a good teacher or not, it must be said. I've utterly failed to teach Mr. Eagles the basics of classical history, and I've been here a decade.

Edited extra bit: and thanks :)
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Can only be a matter of time before Remainers turn on the EU for contemplating a deal that works for both sides rather than a punishment beating...

The amount of straw you've used in that man is a real fire hazard.
    It's coming though - weeks if not days.

Also - will suit Davis for the deal to be agreed at the last minute - less chance of Westminster voting it down.
    I'd be much happier if Gove was Brexit Secretary.

If David Davis is getting tripped up by Labour MPs then how's he going to cope with the Eurocrats?
    Gove is the most able member of the cabinet by some margin - he'd do a better job than Rudd, May and particularly Hammond at their jobs. And obviously he'd do better than DD at Brexiting.

It seems to me that the quality of Conervative MPs has improved over the years but the quality of cabinet ministers has gone down. It would be better if the PM and senior ministers were chosen by drawing lots.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,974
    Well with so many breakdowns and so many very low percentages there will always be some things that look interesting but are nothing more than noise. It is hard to imagine that anyone approves of murder. So what causes the 2 % of respondents (5% of lib dems) to answer "no longer ...".
    Some possibilities are: they lied, they ticked the wrong box, they misunderstood the question or they don't like using the word "principle".

• Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Here we go again - you are relying on what shouty Islam said that Gove said, not what Gove actually said

Calm down dear.

I never mentioned Gove.

In this case, the head of a pharmaceutical manufacturer, who might be considered an expert in that field, made a statement that is disputed by Brexiteers.

Just like the meaning of Article 50 is confidently expounded by the Brexiteers in contradiction to the guy that wrote it.

You really are all at sea about, well, everything. As to the meaning of Article 50, it is a clear principle of the law on the construction of documents that the intention of "the guy who wrote it" is of limited value, and in many cases is inadmissible as evidence. You are, in other words, dead wrong.

Pascal Soriot is a vet by training and a CEO by career so, no, he is unlikely to be an expert on the law governing his company's exports to China and when he needs to know about it, I guess he consults an expert. So again, you are wrong.

And here is something Richard Feynman said: "Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." And Feynman was an expert. Doesn't it do your head in?
    You don't think that Pascal Soriot or his board might just actually have consulted trade experts by this point?
    So the principle of expert infallibility also extends to anyone who might have spoken to an expert. I see.
  • Options
    Mr. Better, there are varying leadership approaches. Edward III and Alexander the Great deliberately cultivated a cadre of high-calibre lieutenants (the former doing so in imitation of King Arthur).

Brown and Constantius II operated a daisy-cutter approach of killing the career hopes of anyone who might be a threat, which led to very few contenders of quality remaining.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Well with so many breakdowns and so many very low percentages there will always be some things that look interesting but are nothing more than noise. It is hard to imagine that anyone approves of murder. So what causes the 2 % of respondents (5% of lib dems) to answer "no longer ...".
    Some possibilities are: they lied, they ticked the wrong box, they misunderstood the question or they don't like using the word "principle".

There are still a number of murders committed every year, not all in the heat of the moment but some premeditated.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,282
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Calm down dear.

I never mentioned Gove.

You don't think that Pascal Soriot or his board might just actually have consulted trade experts by this point?
    So the principle of expert infallibility also extends to anyone who might have spoken to an expert. I see.
    The point that was being made earlier was that Pascal Soriot does not know what he is talking about on trade as he is a vet by training and a career CEO, not a trade expert. I point out that he might just possibly have consulted an expert on trade in his role as CEO, and you move the goalposts by saying this is all about fallibility of people who consult experts.

Fallibility may well be an issue. But that wasn't the original issue, which was that Pascal Soriot is not an expert.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    HYUFD said:

@HYUFD - A Canada deal would not be 'for now'. It would be a negotiating objective for a deal that would remain to be done after we leave and enter into transition.

It would be a deal for a decade or more post transition and above all a deal which respects the Leave vote to end free movement.

50% think a Canada deal would be good for the UK compared to 35% each for the Norway option or hard Brexit.
    https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/08/18/majority-people-think-freedom-movement-fair-price-/
    99% of people haven't really got a clue what either entails. And probably 90% of the posters on here (me included).
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,369
    Ishmael_Z said:

The ten commandments mandate worship of "the Christian God"? Blimey.

Is that anti-semitic? The statement, not Mr Z. (For avoidance of doubt, which is what the Ten Commnadments are all about.)

I am reminded of the version I heard long, long ago when such a thing was a practical possibility, viz:
    ‘Adultery do not commit; advantage rarely comes of it’!
    Can’t recall how the rest were rewritten.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,321

Bloody hell this case hasn't even cleared the pretty low bar of being an arguable case.

So it turns out the DUP deal doesn't breach doesn't the Good Friday Agreement.

A crowdfunded bid at the high court in London to challenge the government’s controversial parliamentary deal with the Democratic Unionist party has failed.

Two judges rejected an application made on Thursday by Ciaran McClean, an unsuccessful Westminster candidate for the Green party in Northern Ireland in the general election, to bring a judicial review of the legality of the £1bn deal.

The claim alleged the deal breached the landmark 1998 Good Friday agreement and the Bribery Act.

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2017/oct/26/crowdfunded-high-court-challenge-against-tory-dup-1bn-deal-fails

I do somewhat object to the description of the deal as 'controversial' in any case. Granted, as a description you can define it any way you like so almost anything can be controversial, but it's a political agreement between two parties, involving trade offs for support, it's not that remarkable.

What lawyer agreed to take that case?

Also I do like how judges have to respond very seriously to patently absurd arguments even to the legally untrained.

The allegation that the agreement entails public expenditure which is unlawful at common law and/or without parliamentary authority is misconceived in particular because the expenditure contemplated by the agreement will have appropriate parliamentary authorisation
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,984
    edited October 2017

Mr. rkrkrk, I've heard similar things (well, going to Japan to teach Japanese kids English).

I'd forgotten about that until you mentioned it. Maybe I should see about visiting Tokyo or Seoul (I'm going to look nearer to home for more normal jobs that require less upheaval, but it'd be interesting buggering off to the Far East).

I'm uncertain whether I'd be a good teacher or not, it must be said. I've utterly failed to teach Mr. Eagles the basics of classical history, and I've been here a decade.

Visit and talk to someone who has done it before would be best way of seeing if it's for you I think.

I looked into it a while back but didn't follow through/found someone foolish enough to employ me elsewhere.

Many of the foreign english schools want TEFL/similar qualification I think.

Online I think you can get away with being a native speaker easier.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Is that anti-semitic? The statement, not Mr Z. (For avoidance of doubt, which is what the Ten Commnadments are all about.)

I am reminded of the version I heard long, long ago when such a thing was a practical possibility, viz:
    Arthur Hugh Clough (1819-1861)
    The Latest Decalogue

Thou shalt have one God only; who
    Would tax himself to worship two?
    God's image nowhere shalt thou see,
    Save haply in the currency:
    Swear not at all; since for thy curse
    Thine enemy is not the worse:
    At church on Sunday to attend
    Will help to keep the world thy friend:
    Honor thy parents; that is, all
    From whom promotion may befall:
    Thou shalt not kill; but needst not strive
    Officiously to keep alive:
    Adultery it is not fit
    Or safe, for women, to commit:
    Thou shalt not steal; an empty feat,
    When 'tis so lucrative to cheat:
    False witness not to bear be strict;
    And cautious, ere you contradict.
    Thou shalt not covet; but tradition
    Sanctions the keenest competition.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

@HYUFD - A Canada deal would not be 'for now'. It would be a negotiating objective for a deal that would remain to be done after we leave and enter into transition.

It would be a deal for a decade or more post transition and above all a deal which respects the Leave vote to end free movement.

50% think a Canada deal would be good for the UK compared to 35% each for the Norway option or hard Brexit.
    https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/08/18/majority-people-think-freedom-movement-fair-price-/
    99% of people haven't really got a clue what either entails. And probably 90% of the posters on here (me included).
    Basically a Canada deal is the only deal we will get without free movement, otherwise we have to accept it and get a Norway style deal.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,674
    Sandpit said:

Which is why the tax changes need to be permanent rather than temporary.
    From my limited understanding of capital investment in the US, other things being equal they’ll build the factory in whichever county or state gives them the biggest bribe corporate tax break.

That said, if $2trn comes back onshore, it’ll get spent somewhere, and it will look good on Trump.

I think the danger for Trump is that he'll get to the end of his first term, and his three achievements will be:

- destruction of Obamacare, which mostly hits low income families
    - tax reform, which mostly benefits the rich
    - repatriation of foreign assets, which also appears to mostly benefit the rich

The issue for the US is that middle America (and I'm talking geographically here) is hurting. Jobs are leaving the rust belt. And there is a negative feedback loop in place, where liabilities (in terms of pensions and debt service) are fixed. As people leave, this pushes up the tax burden on those that remain, and encourages those with skills to leave, further worsening the issues. Local government cuts back on those expenses it can (as pension and interest payments are non-negotiable): so law & order, drug prevention and education all get slashed. And this further drives away middle class tax players and entrepreneurs.

In many ways, this is the same trap that hits countries like Greece: they have fixed outgoings (pensions and debt service) and no way to devalue. Only, in the US, this has been compounded by drugs, guns and gangs.

And coming back to the issue: Tesla could have put their Model S factory anywhere. But they recognised that getting skilled, educated workers was more important than getting a tax break. Those workers - and there are distressingly few of them compared to car factories of old - don't want to live in Michigan or Ohio. They want to live in the Bay area.

Donald Trump has really done nothing to help middle America yet. But the solutions are expensive, difficult, and take years to have positive impacts. It requires the coasts to subsidise the interior with transfers that allow States to break out of the poverty trap. Perhaps some system for transferring the pension liabilities of bust municipalities would be a start. Perhaps some system for Federal subsidies of education budgets.

Anyway: it's not an easy problem to solve.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Here you go:

http://www.bartleby.com/73/1805.html
  • Options
    Mr. rkrkrk, good advice, cheers.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,282
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

From my limited understanding of capital investment in the US, other things being equal they’ll build the factory in whichever county or state gives them the biggest bribe corporate tax break.

That said, if $2trn comes back onshore, it’ll get spent somewhere, and it will look good on Trump.

I think the danger for Trump is that he'll get to the end of his first term, and his three achievements will be:

- destruction of Obamacare, which mostly hits low income families
    - tax reform, which mostly benefits the rich
    - repatriation of foreign assets, which also appears to mostly benefit the rich

The issue for the US is that middle America (and I'm talking geographically here) is hurting. Jobs are leaving the rust belt. And there is a negative feedback loop in place, where liabilities (in terms of pensions and debt service) are fixed. As people leave, this pushes up the tax burden on those that remain, and encourages those with skills to leave, further worsening the issues. Local government cuts back on those expenses it can (as pension and interest payments are non-negotiable): so law & order, drug prevention and education all get slashed. And this further drives away middle class tax players and entrepreneurs.

In many ways, this is the same trap that hits countries like Greece: they have fixed outgoings (pensions and debt service) and no way to devalue. Only, in the US, this has been compounded by drugs, guns and gangs.

And coming back to the issue: Tesla could have put their Model S factory anywhere. But they recognised that getting skilled, educated workers was more important than getting a tax break. Those workers - and there are distressingly few of them compared to car factories of old - don't want to live in Michigan or Ohio. They want to live in the Bay area.

Donald Trump has really done nothing to help middle America yet. But the solutions are expensive, difficult, and take years to have positive impacts. It requires the coasts to subsidise the interior with transfers that allow States to break out of the poverty trap. Perhaps some system for transferring the pension liabilities of bust municipalities would be a start. Perhaps some system for Federal subsidies of education budgets.

Anyway: it's not an easy problem to solve.
    And Trump is as likely to have the focus to solve it as I have of being first man on Mars.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Here you go:

http://www.bartleby.com/73/1805.html
    Most obliged. Obviously a significant number of LD voters work in palliative care!
    ‘Thou shalt not kill;
    But do not strive, officiously, to keep alive!
    Often indicates obedience to the wishes of the departing. Been there, seen it, family member.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

Basically a Canada deal is the only deal we will get without free movement, otherwise we have to accept it and get a Norway style deal.
    So you're saying you prefer the Norway arrangement. I agree.
  • Options
    RT one of the only news outlets that team jezza approves of....
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Visit and talk to someone who has done it before would be best way of seeing if it's for you I think.

I looked into it a while back but didn't follow through/found someone foolish enough to employ me elsewhere.

Being a graduate you are, I think, qualified to teach in Thailand. Do not assume that SeanT is the authority on all things Thai.
  • Options

RT one of the only news outlets that team jezza approves of....
    Presumably Twitter is controlled by Zionists.
  • Options
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5013379/Students-bring-12-hour-safe-space-marshals.html

I wonder how keen these marshalls are when it comes to islamic extremists speakers voicing these kind of opinions?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,761
    Charles said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT:

DavidL said:

I was hearing yesterday that Trump is making progress with his tax code changes in the House which will allow a tax holiday of sorts which will in turn allow the tech giants to bring $1trn+ back to the US. If he delivers that and if the conditionality requires that money to be invested in the US writing Trump off in 2020 may well prove an expensive mistake.

The last person to implement a "tax holiday" for firms who brought back money from abroad was Clinton. Firms who brought back money were less likely to invest in the US, than those who did not. And pretty much all the repatriated money was used for share buybacks rather than investment.

Why?

1. CEOs of firms are rational and have short time horizons. If you give them $100, they'll buy back $100 of stock so as to benefit from the uplift in share price.

2. The government is sending the message that it's OK to invest abroad, because at some point there will be a tax holiday and you can bring it home.

(There's a bigger issue too. Real interest rates are close to zero for investment grade companies in the US already. If you want to build a factory in Dayton, Ohio, then it's not lack of capital that's constraining you - it's the fact that your return will be much higher if you build it somewhere else.)

There was an article today saying they are moving away from global taxation. That's *much* bigger news
    If that includes individuals, then a lot of Americans in my part of the world are going to be very happy indeed.

In a country with no income tax, it’s not difficult to have your very basic salary paid into the bank, and your substantial bonus paid in cash.
  • Options
    Now, on the false idols issue, I have one question.

Is it OK to worship the new iPhone X? I mean, it doesn't look like a false idol to me. It looks like the real deal.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Is it OK to worship the new iPhone X? I mean, it doesn't look like a false idol to me. It looks like the real deal.

I thought you worshipped at the alter of one plus?
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, worship not the bronze serpent.

And on that note of practical advice, I am off.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Testify.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

rkrkrk said:

Being a graduate you are, I think, qualified to teach in Thailand. Do not assume that SeanT is the authority on all things Thai.
    I have friends TEFLing in Thailand. I don't think you need to be a graduate.

But I go there much less these days, being a reformed character and all. And married.
    You are allowed to take your wife to Thailnd. You just go to different resorts. And having ‘just’ a TEFL qualification means the money isn’tanyway near as good.
    AIUI from those I’ve met anyway.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I thought you worshipped at the alter of one plus?
    I'm flexible.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

FPT.

TOPPING said:

Makes no sense. We are unlikely to know the terms for post-Brexit (ie post-transition deal) until some time into the transition deal. After that, I can only see there being another transition deal to implement the new deal. The government inaccurately calls the transition deal (actually a moratorium) an implementation deal and then in the same breath says nothing will change for two years.

So which is it?

Which brings us back to the views of Remainers. I think it unlikely that in April 2021 we will be in any position to step into a new relationship with the EU (or anyone else) because that would be a cliff-edge. So there will be a *********ion period. And during this *******ion period, we will have a GE and the new govt might decide that it will maintain that status until further notice. Yes we will be out of the EU, but we will look, feel, and indeed quack like we are still in.

Apologies for not replying sooner, I was working.

The point I am making is that it doesn't matter if it makes sense or not. Legally unless we ask for and get a formal extension agreed by all 27 EU members, in March 2019 we are out of the EU. You can spend all day saying it would make no sense but that is the position under Article 50 and 'sense' has nothing to do with it one way or another. We will no longer be a part of the EU legally, will no longer have representation on any of its bodies and will no longer be included in any new treaties or agreements.

Unless...the government of the day signs up to just about everything we thought we had left. The fact that technically we will have left is as you say unalterable. The practicality of what that would mean if, say, Labour decided to appoint the ECJ as arbiter over the redness of our domestically-produced Worcester Pearmains, means that we would de facto remain members, small "m".
    But one that could be challenged in our courts and moreover could be reversed by a future change of Government. So not the same at all.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

I've got two contracts - with Vodafone and O2 - on which I am entitled to upgrade any time I like. I'm in the same boat. I've been waiting for the iPhone X (the 8 sounds rubbish).

It's either that or the new Google Pixel. Both have abandoned headphone jacks, to which I am now reluctantly resigned, even though it was the stupidest decision ever.

Is the X any good? The new Google gets rave reviews.
    Lots of people saying the Pixel XL screen sucks.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,959
    After their win against Manchester United last Saturday Huddersfield Town now travel to Anfield. If Liverpool lose I think Klopp will resign and take his family back to Germany. As we know - the Klopps go back this weekend. Boom-boom.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

So you're saying you prefer the Norway arrangement. I agree.
    Personally maybe but unlike you I also know how damaging it would be to leave free movement uncontrolled given how strongly the working class Leave vote was motivated by reducing immigration.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

I've got two contracts - with Vodafone and O2 - on which I am entitled to upgrade any time I like. I'm in the same boat. I've been waiting for the iPhone X (the 8 sounds rubbish).

It's either that or the new Google Pixel. Both have abandoned headphone jacks, to which I am now reluctantly resigned, even though it was the stupidest decision ever.

Is the X any good? The new Google gets rave reviews.
    Avoid, the X, it has screen burn issues

http://news.sky.com/story/google-investigating-reports-of-pixel-2-xl-screen-burn-in-11096396

and

https://www.cnet.com/videos/the-pixel-2-xl-has-screen-burn-in-and-its-a-big-problem/
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

The Latest Decalogue

Adultery it is not fit
    I see your Ten Commandments and raise you the 42 Negative Confessions of Ancient Egypt (remember, Moses was brought up as an Egyptian!):

I have not committed sin.
    I have not committed robbery with violence.
    I have not stolen.
    I have not slain men or women.
    I have not stolen food.
    I have not swindled offerings.
    I have not stolen from God/Goddess.
    I have not told lies.
    I have not carried away food.
    I have not cursed.
    I have not closed my ears to truth.
    I have not committed adultery.
    I have not made anyone cry.
    I have not felt sorrow without reason.
    I have not assaulted anyone.
    I am not deceitful.
    I have not stolen anyone’s land.
    I have not been an eavesdropper.
    I have not falsely accused anyone.
    I have not been angry without reason.
    I have not seduced anyone’s wife.
    I have not polluted myself.
    I have not terrorized anyone.
    I have not disobeyed the Law.
    I have not been exclusively angry.
    I have not cursed God/Goddess.
    I have not behaved with violence.
    I have not caused disruption of peace.
    I have not acted hastily or without thought.
    I have not overstepped my boundaries of concern.
    I have not exaggerated my words when speaking.
    I have not worked evil.
    I have not used evil thoughts, words or deeds.
    I have not polluted the water.
    I have not spoken angrily or arrogantly.
    I have not cursed anyone in thought, word or deeds.
    I have not placed myself on a pedestal.
    I have not stolen what belongs to God/Goddess.
    I have not stolen from or disrespected the deceased.
    I have not taken food from a child.
    I have not acted with insolence.
    I have not destroyed property belonging to God/Goddess
  • Options

SeanT said:

rkrkrk said:

I have friends TEFLing in Thailand. I don't think you need to be a graduate.

But I go there much less these days, being a reformed character and all. And married.
    You are allowed to take your wife to Thailnd. You just go to different resorts. And having ‘just’ a TEFL qualification means the money isn’tanyway near as good.
    AIUI from those I’ve met anyway.
    "different"? I think you mean "separate".
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,084
    Can't see how iPhone X makes life better.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

And anti-Islamic since the old testament prophets are also venerated in Islam and the 10 Commandments are part of Islamic teaching.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The iPhone X is clearly a false idol as the one true god of technology is Korean and does not wear a turtleneck sweater.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Because it is from Apple.

Remember apples have shaped human history, here's the three most influential apples in history.

1) The apple that the serpent encouraged Eve and Adam to eat.

2) The apple that fell on Isaac Newton's head.

3) The Apple that Steve Jobs created.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,057
    There have been reports that Apple's suppliers had to lower the accuracy of the facial recognition to meet delivery targets so expect some teething issues.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Remember apples have shaped human history, here's the three most influential apples in history.

Beatles label and new york.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

The Beatles are as overrated as Radiohead.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,932

Jonathan said:

Well two of your three are fictitious, and the third neglects a Steve. However I'm sure that you were the apple of your mothers eye, and as such we'll forgive you.

Perhaps it's 'Steve and Eve', perhaps not.

When I first owned an Apple 'Pete and Pam Computers' was the place to go.
  • Options

3) The crApple that Steve Jobs created.

Fixed it for you :)
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Silence!

"All you need is Gove".
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Let it be.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The golden apple of Eris had some far-reaching consequences as well.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Jonathan said:

Well two of your three are fictitious, and the third neglects a Steve. However I'm sure that you were the apple of your mothers eye, and as such we'll forgive you.

https://youtu.be/zqNmIpHJ90o
  • Options
    Getting excited about apple stuff in 2017 is like getting excited about the bay city rollers and chopper bikes in 1987.
  • Options
    iOS 11 still a bag of shit on my iPhone....
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

The Latest Decalogue

Adultery it is not fit
    I see your Ten Commandments and raise you the 42 Negative Confessions of Ancient Egypt (remember, Moses was brought up as an Egyptian!):

snip
    That is really cool, not come across it before. Thanks.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    slade said:

After their win against Manchester United last Saturday Huddersfield Town now travel to Anfield. If Liverpool lose I think Klopp will resign and take his family back to Germany. As we know - the Klopps go back this weekend. Boom-boom.

Like it.

• Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,975
    slade said:

From the point of view of a Mancunian red who has lived in Huddersfield for nigh on 20 years - they had better bloody well beat Liverpool this weekend!
  • Options
    New Zealand wants to ban rich foreign homebuyers. Labour, take note - Polly toynbee
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Omnium said:

Jonathan said:

https://youtu.be/zqNmIpHJ90o
    A few years on from that time, and it's clear why they failed.
  • Options
    @Sunil

Thank you for that list, Sunil.

I don't see anything about nor putting other punters away - a serious omission in my book.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,761

The latter tweets are what I've been banging on for years.

ttps://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/923525105405263873
    ttps://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/923569110369357824
    ttps://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/923569440205279232
    ttps://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/923569627925549056
    ttps://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/923569843424710656

Not good. Not good at all. A police interview needs to be in a controlled environment, with rights clearly explained and a solicitor present.
    Also easy to say you were drunk on the street therefore evidence inadmissible - either way!

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Getting excited about apple stuff in 2017 is like getting excited about the bay city rollers and chopper bikes in 1987.

Bay city rollers were long forgotten in 1987 and choppers had all worn out by then. Apple stuff has a decent longevity. I think personally that the manuals are the best antiques rather than the hardware, but who knows. It may turn out to be the boxes.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

The latter tweets are what I've been banging on for years.

ttps://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/923525105405263873
    ttps://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/923569110369357824
    ttps://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/923569440205279232
    ttps://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/923569627925549056
    ttps://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/923569843424710656

Not good. Not good at all. A police interview needs to be in a controlled environment, with rights clearly explained and a solicitor present.
    Also easy to say you were drunk on the street therefore evidence inadmissible - either way!

One of the biggest issues with the attitude behind it is many, myself included, will presume if I am ever approached in such a way, that they are trying to take advantage of me. It immediately makes things antagonistic.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,007
    edited October 2017

@Sunil

I don't see anything about nor putting other punters away - a serious omission in my book.

You're welcome. Not saying this applies to you personally in any way, but I guess there are many punters who may not be able to say:

"I have not acted hastily or without thought." ;)
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,111

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I stumbled across a video on YouTube the other day where a band was singing "Creep" by Radiohead and "The Air That I Breath" by the Hollies which proved they are essentially the same song! :D
  • Options

@Sunil

You're welcome. Not saying this applies to you personally in any way, but I guess there are many punters who may not be able to say:

"I have not acted hastily or without thought." ;)
    Guilty as charged, Sunil. :(
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,233
    edited October 2017
    OT. I recently went to an exhibition in Arles by the celebrated photographer Annie Leibovitz Her technique is to attach a very simple idea that personifies her sitters. Yesterday she was interviewed on Newsnight about her new book and she talked about a portrait she did of Trump and Melania in 2004 where she got a pregnant Melania to wear a gold lame bikini in front of Trump's plane while he was sitting in his new car. She's got the potus and the first lady to a tee.

http://cdn2.business2community.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/melania-trump-vogue.jpg

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I stumbled across a video on YouTube the other day where a band was singing "Creep" by Radiohead and "The Air That I Breath" by the Hollies which proved they are essentially the same song! :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsyZbrW--ms
  • Options

but a great ground-game of course
  • Options

but a great ground-game of course
    Were you at the match yesterday when Spurs performed the greatest act of choking since Monica Lewinsky AC Milan in the 2005 Champions League?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,522
  • Options
    It's quiet tonight.

Let's spice things up.

There are two gubernatorial races in the US this November, New Jersey (where Chris Christie is time limited) and Virginia (ditto for Terry McAuliffe).

New Jersey: I would be staggered if the Dems didn't take it at a canter.

Virginia is a much harder call. I'd reckon the Dems will hold it, but it'll probably be very close.

Any one else have a view?
  • Options
    Looking through the Wikipedia page on the Virginia gubernatorial election, I see some of the greatest polling fails.

The final poll before the Dems primary had Tom Pierello up by 5 points. He lost by 10. (Margin of error 2.5% my arse.)

And the penultimate Republican one had Ed Gillespie 20 points ahead, against his actual margin of victory of 1 point.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

It's quiet tonight.

Let's spice things up.

There are two gubernatorial races in the US this November, New Jersey (where Chris Christie is time limited) and Virginia (ditto for Terry McAuliffe).

Virginia is a much harder call. I'd reckon the Dems will hold it, but it'll probably be very close.

Only that I was not aware term limits applied to governors as well - is it common across other states?

Interesting to see that Christie won last time very easily.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

It's quiet tonight.

Let's spice things up.

Only that I was not aware term limits applied to governors as well - is it common across other states?

It is.

Hickenlooper in Colorado is term limited.

He's my pick for Democratic nominee in 2020.
  • Options
    I do seem to recall a Jon Stewart piece on the Virginia race in 2013, essentially saying both the Dem and Republican candidates were pretty darn crap. And that the republican chap that time was best known for an attempt to overturn the striking down of an anti-sodomy law in the state.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Don't forget the Judgement of Paris
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

It's quiet tonight.

Let's spice things up.

It is.

Hickenlooper? Hell of a name. Every now and them you find one which you just cannot figure our the provenance of, be if regional or profession based.

I see Virginia doesn't even allow 2 consecutive terms as governor, which is harsh. South American president style (until all the presidents starting repealing those limits).
  • Options
    Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Ridge Monte Bello.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Where would Californian wine be without that? ;)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

It's quiet tonight.

Let's spice things up.

It is.

Hickenlooper? Hell of a name. Every now and them you find one which you just cannot figure our the provenance of, be if regional or profession based.

I see Virginia doesn't even allow 2 consecutive terms as governor, which is harsh. South American president style (until all the presidents starting repealing those limits).
    He's very liberal; pro-gun control, anti-capital punishment.

But he's also a successful mayor (88% in his second term election in Denver!) and governor. Plus he's articulate, serious and a successful businessman (beer!).

But who knows if he'd win.
  • Options
    I note vice-presidents are not term limited (although who would want to stay in the job?) so it would be fun if someone just continually served as VP over and over as presidents came and went.

Also, apparently Trump had promised to institute term limits for congress - I'm sure that would be an easy sell there.
  • Options

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Don't drink Zinfandel so don't get the reference
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

It was the name given to a blind tasting in the 70s where some Californian Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay wines won against the French competition and is considered to be what put California on the map in wine-making.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgment_of_Paris_(wine)
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Ridge Monte Bello is Bordeaux blend
  • Options
    Fresh racism row for Labour MP Jared O’Mara after he describes Thai women as ‘mail order brides’

Newly unearthed online comments made by the suspended Labour MP include sordid rants about an 'involuntary deep throat blow job' and 'bumming girls'

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4775035/fresh-racism-row-for-labour-mp-jared-omara-after-he-describes-thai-women-as-mail-order-brides/
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,209

Fresh racism row for Labour MP Jared O’Mara after he describes Thai women as ‘mail order brides’

Newly unearthed online comments made by the suspended Labour MP include sordid rants about an 'involuntary deep throat blow job' and 'bumming girls'

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4775035/fresh-racism-row-for-labour-mp-jared-omara-after-he-describes-thai-women-as-mail-order-brides/

Bloody zionists.
  • Options

He really is a charmer isn't he.....
  • Options
    RobD said:

Bloody zionists.
    And in one dark online music review he joked about using “sweeties to entice the kiddies”.

But extraordinarily he insisted: “Any girl that would like to make whopee with me must be passionate about charity and the fight against social injustice.”
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    RobD said:

Bloody zionists.
    I do wonder how the continuously outraged would cope if they ever went to a football match or down the local pub on a lads night out or on a hen or stag do.

It may not be politically correct but outside the bubble perhaps it's seen s bit differently perhaps.
  • Options

He really is a charmer isn't he.....
    Us Sheffield lads have much more class and charm than Mr O'Mara.
  • Options
    On the subject of Californian wines, my view is that Ridge Monte Bello is as good as any Bordeaux.

It's an unusual Californian wine, because it's one of the few where the alcohol content has not been dialled up to 14 or 15%. (Something I abhor.)

If you can get hold of a bottle (or three), you should. Albeit it is definitely a "special occasions only" wine.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

RobD said:

Bloody zionists.
    I do wonder how the continuously outraged would cope if they ever went to a football match or down the local pub on a lads night out or on a hen or stag do.

It may not be politically correct but outside the bubble perhaps it's seen s bit differently perhaps.
    His antics at the nightclub he worked went beyond some non-pc postings on a forum.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

On the subject of Californian wines, my view is that Ridge Monte Bello is as good as any Bordeaux.

It's an unusual Californian wine, because it's one of the few where the alcohol content has not been dialled up to 14 or 15%. (Something I abhor.)

If you can get hold of a bottle (or three), you should. Albeit it is definitely a "special occasions only" wine.

What year would you recommend?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

What year would you recommend?
    2005 or 2002. The 2012 is also supposed to be excellent, but I haven't tried it.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,313

brendan16 said:

RobD said:

Bloody zionists.

His antics at the nightclub he worked went beyond some non-pc postings on a forum.
    Agreed they are by far the most serious allegations, but this is just getting utterly farcical. Victoria Street must be wondering what disastrous revelation is coming next.

It's like UKIP only worse and less efficiently handled.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

brendan16 said:

RobD said:

Bloody zionists.

Agreed they are by far the most serious allegations, but this is just getting utterly farcical. Victoria Street must be wondering what disastrous revelation is coming next.

It's like UKIP only worse and less efficiently handled.
    Wrong'un....
  • Options

"On a music fan site, Mr O’Mara mocked Thai women and also claimed: “We are forever having “THE NEXT BIG THING” forced down our tracheas in the musical equivalent of an Involuntary Deep Throat Blow Job.” "

Well, Thai women quite often are mail order wives, and the entirely justified slur is on the men who buy them. And a simile is just a simile. I would not be particularly offended to see a threader here claiming that, say, Mrs May's strength and stability was being forced down the tracheas of the electorate in the political equivalent of an Involuntary Deep Throat Blow Job.
This discussion has been closed.