Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » “TEN COMMANDMENTS” poll finds LD voters most relaxed about mur

SystemSystem Posts: 11,744
edited October 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » “TEN COMMANDMENTS” poll finds LD voters most relaxed about murder with Leavers least concerned about lying

That’s all fine but dataset from YouGov, helpfully, includes party and Brexit cross-breaks so we can see if there are any particular distinctions for different parts of the electorate.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    The ten commandments mandate worship of "the Christian God"? Blimey.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,042
    A useful calibration for the percentage of people who don't really care how they respond to an opinion poll.
  • Options
    So that explains the £350 million per week lie on the side of the bus.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Ishmael_Z said:

And apparently move the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday.
    Almost like it's all made up bullshit
  • Options
    Isn’t there a commandment about not coveting thy neighbour’s ass?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,491
    Well, that explains Rinka.
  • Options
    Heh. From another PB.

Today is the 30th anniversary of Freddie Mercury and Montserrat Caballé releasing Barcelona. And what better way to mark the occasion than for the Spanish government to also release Barcelona (and Girona, and Lleida, and Tarragona...)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @SeemaMalhotra1: Just asked DExEU Minister during @CommonsEUexit whether they have read the 57 Brexit impact assessments. They haven't. 1/3

@SeemaMalhotra1: DExEU Ministers don't know if impact assessments shared with the Cabinet. Or when list is being published. Or if the PM has read them. 2/3

@SeemaMalhotra1: DExEU Ministers are unclear whether the impact assessments they previously said were completed actually exist as reports. 3/3
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

I thought the Christian sabbath in the Church of England was Sunday (while for Jews it is Saturday).
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,056
    Mr. Z, yep.

But the 'obey' brackets after honouring parents is wrong. It should be respect, (likewise, love, honour and obey is a mistranslation, it should be love, honour and respect).
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,256
    Oh dear. Look at the male/female split on adultery...
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Monogamy is too cruel a rule.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    This God fellow seems important to keep on the right side of. If only there were an organisation that could preach his words and ensure we comply. It would be worth funding them to guarantee salvation. And they are his guys so you know they will be straight as an arrow.
    Can't see any problem.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,641
    fpt
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

I just think the politics make it impossible. Ain't gonna happen. No major party will support it (unless Brexit sends the economy very very clearly and quickly down the khazi, which does not seem likely, now).

I think there is an element of self-correction going on there.

The more likely Brexit looks, the greater the economic harm, which makes retreating from Brexit more likely

Nissan agreed to stay in the UK when the government assured them no change. Now change is more likely, Toyota are making noises again.
    We're never gonna agree on Brexit, but this is just wishful thinking. Car manufacturers may whinge, but it takes years to move factories etc (if it happens at all). There just won't be enough pressure on the Commons, to make MPs take the epochal step of calling a 2nd vote, before we Leave.

Personally I'd quite like a 2nd vote, between Soft and Hard Brexit - EEA v WTO, say - and I'd go for Soft. But sadly even that is very unlikely.
    It will likely be a 2 year transition deal then ultimately a Canada style FTA as even Barnier has projected.

Hardly the complete fall off the cliff some hard-core Remainers were predicting in the summer.
    But does Canada deal cover financial services ?

Kinda important no?
    There will likely be some key financial regulations implemented by the UK government to ensure some access for UK financial services to the EEA much as they have done with GDPR but most Leave voters do not work in the City and put control of immigration and leaving the single market and ending free movement above whatever the City wants
    whatever the City wants = 7% of the UK's GVA. Yeah..who cares as long as the foreigners are kept out. Why even Polly wants to stop them buying property in the UK.

What a time to be alive.
    So 93% of the UK's GVA is not in the city. Though as I said the government will likely implement enough EU regulations to ensure some City access to the EEA but not the full single market membership it wants which would require full free movement and prevent any of the immigration controls and new points system Leave voters voted for.
    Amazing view. Not even wrong, as they say and no I haven't the strength to point out where and how.
  • Options
    Mr. 86, I remember reading a story some time ago that women are more likely to find a married man attractive than vice versa, which, perhaps ironically, tallies with that.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

This God fellow seems important to keep on the right side of. If only there were an organisation that could preach his words and ensure we comply. It would be worth funding them to guarantee salvation. And they are his guys so you know they will be straight as an arrow.
    Can't see any problem.

When the Supreme Being and his son decide that being supreme isn't for them any more, it's inevitable that things get a bit of a shake-up.

It soon becomes apparent that our new owners, the Venturi brothers, have a very different perspective on all sorts of things. Take Good and Evil, for example. For them, it's an outdated concept that never worked particularly well in the first place.

Unfortunately, the sudden disappearance of right and wrong, while welcomed by some, raises certain concerns amongst those still attached to the previous team's management style.

In particular, there's one of the old gods who didn't move out with the others. A reclusive chap, he lives somewhere up north, and only a handful even believe in him.

But he's watching. And he really does need to know if you've been naughty or nice.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Management-Style-Supreme-Beings/dp/035650669X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509025498&sr=8-1&keywords=tom+holt
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

I thought the Christian sabbath in the Church of England was Sunday (while for Jews it is Saturday).
    Well no, the Sabbath is Saturday. The Christians just moved it to suit incorporation into the Roman model. God can be quite flexible when it comes to accommodating western convenience.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,491
    Ishmael_Z said:

They do. Don't go looking for historical, logical or internal consistency; you'll drive yourself mad. The whole reason for the necessity of Faith in religion is get around all the awkward bits that don't otherwise make sense.
  • Options
    Did Harvey Weinstein answer this 20 times?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,614
    I always got a bit confused about the overlap between not committing adultery and not coveting my neighbour's ass.
  • Options
    Mr. Woolie, Friday sunset to Saturday sunset.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

Ishmael_Z said:

Er, what religion was Jeshua Ben Marium?
  • Options

Mr. Woolie, Friday sunset to Saturday sunset.

Well quite. Piss time in my religion
  • Options
    Afternoon all. I've been away in the African bush for a couple of weeks, but not much seems to have changed whilst I've been away.

On topic: YouGov seem to have mislaid the bit about coveting thy neighbour's wife, his male or female servant, his ox or his donkey.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,058
    tlg86 said:

What embarrassing numbers for men there.
  • Options
    Not long till Trumps trolling of the CIA and FBI is out for public enjoyment.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

What embarrassing numbers for men there.
    Shows that men are at ease with their girlfriend's and wives playing away but the women don't want to surely? I can't imagine men would be more keen to cheat, that doesn't sound right at all
  • Options
    Stick in the bits about murder and stealing so they know we are credible players then pack it out with shit and make them pay us 10% for priest acknowledged compliance.
    We will never get away with it!
    Trust me, they are idiots.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,963
    Afternoon all :)

To be honest, a shade of mountain meeting molehill but anyhow...

As an LD voter and former activist, I've met very few LDs who would steal and commit bloody murder though the odd by-election campaign can get a shade feisty.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Well no, the Sabbath is Saturday. The Christians just moved it to suit incorporation into the Roman model. God can be quite flexible when it comes to accommodating western convenience.
    The sabbath is the seventh day. In England the first day of the week is Monday, the seventh is Sunday, so Sunday is the sabbath.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Er, what religion was Jeshua Ben Marium?
    If he existed? He would have been Jewish not Church of England.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

The sabbath is the seventh day. In England the first day of the week is Monday, the seventh is Sunday, so Sunday is the sabbath.
    Yes, the week was tinkered with to fit. At the time the commandments were made up by someone the week began on Sunday. It still does in the US, Australia etc
  • Options
    The serial leaker is worried about his documents being disclosed? Hand me the world's smallest violin.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    TOPPING said:

fpt

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

I just think the politics make it impossible. Ain't gonna happen. No major party will support it (unless Brexit sends the economy very very clearly and quickly down the khazi, which does not seem likely, now).

I think there is an element of self-correction going on there.

The more likely Brexit looks, the greater the economic harm, which makes retreating from Brexit more likely

Nissan agreed to stay in the UK when the government assured them no change. Now change is more likely, Toyota are making noises again.
    We're never gonna agree on Brexit, but this is just wishful thinking. Car manufacturers may whinge, but it takes years to move factories etc (if it happens at all). There just won't be enough pressure on the Commons, to make MPs take the epochal step of calling a 2nd vote, before we Leave.

Personally I'd quite like a 2nd vote, between Soft and Hard Brexit - EEA v WTO, say - and I'd go for Soft. But sadly even that is very unlikely.
    It will likely be a 2 year transition deal then ultimately a Canada style FTA as even Barnier has projected.

Hardly the complete fall off the cliff some hard-core Remainers were predicting in the summer.
    But does Canada deal cover financial services ?

Kinda important no?
    There will likely be some key financial regulations implemented by the UK government to ensure some access for UK financial services to the EEA much as they have done with GDPR but most Leave voters do not work in the City and put control of immigration and leaving the single market and ending free movement above whatever the City wants
    whatever the City wants = 7% of the UK's GVA. Yeah..who cares as long as the foreigners are kept out. Why even Polly wants to stop them buying property in the UK.

What a time to be alive.
    So 93% of the UK's GVA is not in the city. Though as I said the government will likely implement enough EU regulations to ensure some City access to the EEA but not the full single market membership it wants which would require full free movement and prevent any of the immigration controls and new points system Leave voters voted for.
    Amazing view. Not even wrong, as they say and no I haven't the strength to point out where and how.
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!"
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Insert your own jokes.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,073

I'm amused that there are people who consider that avoiding murder and theft are no longer important principles to live by.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,228
    Very interesting polling. I can’t be the only one here who would have given straight “yes” answers to the fundamental principles of Christianity.

Really, 5% of Lib Dems think murder is okay (or can be justified)?

Numbers for adultery and honouring your parents are very sad. Nearly a fifth of people don’t think that marriage vows mean something, and more than a fifth don’t think they should look after those that brought them into this world?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Afternoon all. I've been away in the African bush for a couple of weeks, but not much seems to have changed whilst I've been away.

On topic: YouGov seem to have mislaid the bit about coveting thy neighbour's wife, his male or female servant, his ox or his donkey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdQ-BVG4ZHg
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Very interesting polling. I can’t be the only one here who would have given straight “yes” answers to the fundamental principles of Christianity.

Really, 5% of Lib Dems think murder is okay (or can be justified)?

Numbers for adultery and honouring your parents are very sad. Nearly a fifth of people don’t think that marriage vows mean something, and more than a fifth don’t think they should look after those that brought them into this world?

Or do not believe that they should feel a religious imperative for such.
    Doesn't mean you don't follow it from a humanist standpoint
  • Options
    Mr. Thompson, it's from shabbat, the Hebrew word for rest. The Sabbath is Friday sunset to Saturday sunset.
  • Options
    31% on a full iconoclast orgy. Medieval stuff
  • Options
    I’d be bloody annoyed if we haven’t got spies all over the EU. What are the James Bonds there for, if not to get us copies of sensitive stuff others don’t want us to have?
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Yes, the week was tinkered with to fit. At the time the commandments were made up by someone the week began on Sunday. It still does in the US, Australia etc
    But it doesn't in this country which was my point. I specifically said England for a reason.
  • Options

Mr. Thompson, it's from shabbat, the Hebrew word for rest. The Sabbath is Friday sunset to Saturday sunset.

In Judaism yes.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I’d be bloody annoyed if we haven’t got spies all over the EU. What are the James Bonds there for, if not to get us copies of sensitive stuff others don’t want us to have?
    Quite. They can't all hang around Gorky Park talk,ing about swallows over the Kremlin
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2017
    Scott_P said:
    Talk about a non-story. Of course she hasn't read the whole of the dozens of technical documents, just the summaries. What on earth else would anyone expect a PM to do? Her job is to see the big picture.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I'm amused that there are people who consider that avoiding murder and theft are no longer important principles to live by.

Concerned, rather than amused I’d say.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

But it doesn't in this country which was my point. I specifically said England for a reason.
    Yes and my point was that the Western Christians changed the definitions to fit the Roman model of civilisation. In other words it's utter bullshit based on political and economic convenience and control not some overarching divine law.
  • Options
    Pong said:

I assume you’ve seen this ?

A student has been cleared of having a copy of terrorism manual The Anarchist Cookbook in a drawer under his bed.

Joshua Walker, 27, from Bristol, had travelled to Syria in the summer of 2016 where he said he helped a Kurdish militia group.

He had previously denied a charge relating to possessing terrorist information.

The 111-page partial copy of the manual was found at his university bedsit in Dan-y-Coed, Aberystwyth.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-41751193

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    So roughly 1 in 5 are devout Christians.

I'm surprised how many are signed up to honour their father and mother.
  • Options
    Pong said:

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdQ-BVG4ZHg
    Mr Minchin also has a rather good song about the Pope (the last one rather than the current one). I’m not going to link to it because it’s rather rude, but even as a practicing Catholic I can understand that in certain circumstances such language may be appropriate if it serves to widen the debate. Fans of Harvey Weinstein’s Hollywood friends may not like it either.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,939

Scott_P said:
    Talk about a non-story. Of course she hasn't read the whole of the dozens of technical documents, just the summaries. What on earth else would anyone expect a PM to do? Her job is to see the big picture.
    Yep.
    Gaffe from Davis though... and slightly unusual to see Labour playing politics with this so adroitly.

Way back in the days of Corbyn Shadow Cab mk. 1, I put a few quid on Seema being next leader at long odds. Sadly it looks even more unlikely now.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited October 2017
    Does Selmayr have a white cat he strokes?

If we are not spying on him we bloody well should be.
  • Options
    Con and Lab showing expected numbers of psychopaths. Lib Dems really gorging on the gore. Sandals and slaughter.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,058

So roughly 1 in 5 are devout Christians.

I'm surprised how many are signed up to honour their father and mother.

I'd answer that one "Don't know", as I'd honour my parents wishes - I can see where this would be desperately inappropriate though.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    I’d expect her to read the Executive Summary (which is the whole damn point of producing one), and I’d expect her own advisors to read the whole document and prepare their own briefing notes on it.
    Expecting the PM to read tens of thousands of words of technical stuff is unfair, she doesn’t have the time and won’t understand a lot of the technical or legal language used.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,014
    edited October 2017
    7% either "don't know" or say it's "not important" to commit/not commit murder!

Incredible! :open_mouth:
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Ishmael_Z said:

I wonder what our Jewish cousins would think of that?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Ishmael_Z said:

The Christian, Jewish and Muslim God is the same guy. Just in a different hat.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Yep.
    Gaffe from Davis though... and slightly unusual to see Labour playing politics with this so adroitly.

Over the last year or so, Labour has once again become pretty good at playing this kind of politics. I imagine that this is partly because some of the savvier media players, such as Damian McBride, are back on board.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    I’d expect her to read the Executive Summary (which is the whole damn point of producing one), and I’d expect her own advisors to read the whole document and prepare their own briefing notes on it.
    Expecting the PM to read tens of thousands of words of technical stuff is unfair, she doesn’t have the time and won’t understand a lot of the technical or legal language used.
    Either she’s too micromanagement or not micromanagement enough. Hard to please some people :smiley:
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,769
    RobD said:

A useful calibration for the percentage of people who don't really care how they respond to an opinion poll.

Agree. The murder and steal answers I think identify people taking the piss and consequently their answers to other questions are equally as useless. It makes sense to put questions in polls that can reasonably only have one answer to filter these out. Is that done?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

7% Either "don't know" or say it's "not important" to commit murder!

The 2% not important us about right for number of sociopaths in any given sample, plus your ubiquitous survey piss takers. Don't knows are just after their £3 for filling it in quickly
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Pong said:

A student has been cleared of having a copy of terrorism manual The Anarchist Cookbook in a drawer under his bed.

Joshua Walker, 27, from Bristol, had travelled to Syria in the summer of 2016 where he said he helped a Kurdish militia group.

The 111-page partial copy of the manual was found at his university bedsit in Dan-y-Coed, Aberystwyth.

Not another bloody Aber student! My alma mater has had far too many dodgy folk in the news in recent years.

But on the substantive point, didn’t almost every student in the ‘90s discovering the internet have a copy of that book? There must be tens of millions of copies of it around. That they were investigating him for travelling to Syria probably didn’t help his cause though.

Right decision though. Possession of a document that isn’t marked as classified shouldn’t be illegal.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,431
    GIN1138 said:

In an online survey with lots of boxes, how many just looked at the first line and went down the list ticking the same option for all of them without reading the questions?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,014

Welcome back Mr N.

You have been missed. :D
  • Options
    stodge said:

As an LD voter and former activist, I've met very few LDs who would steal and commit bloody murder though the odd by-election campaign can get a shade feisty.

When is the party returning Michael Briwn's donation then? £2.4m of money stolen from pensioners
  • Options
    I think one of my threads for Sunday is sorted.

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/923557563299397632
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

In an online survey with lots of boxes, how many just looked at the first line and went down the list ticking the same option for all of them without reading the questions?
    Sounds a lot like a PR ballot paper :o
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Pong said:

Excellent news.

It was a silly application of a silly law.

The silly judgment makes everyone look rather silly.
  • Options

Charles said:

Ishmael_Z said:

The Christian, Jewish and Muslim God is the same guy. Just in a different hat.
    Hence the deliberate use of the word "cousins"
  • Options
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,256
    To be honest, it's not a surprise that the people who would take the piss by saying that not killing people is no longer an important principle, would also take the piss by saying they'd vote Lib Dem.
  • Options

Turns out I'm a Zionist, who knew?

twitter.com/Paul1Singh/status/923549577768251392

The word unspoofable comes to mind.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,385
    FPT:
    DavidL said:

I was hearing yesterday that Trump is making progress with his tax code changes in the House which will allow a tax holiday of sorts which will in turn allow the tech giants to bring $1trn+ back to the US. If he delivers that and if the conditionality requires that money to be invested in the US writing Trump off in 2020 may well prove an expensive mistake.

The last person to implement a "tax holiday" for firms who brought back money from abroad was Clinton. Firms who brought back money were less likely to invest in the US, than those who did not. And pretty much all the repatriated money was used for share buybacks rather than investment.

Why?

1. CEOs of firms are rational and have short time horizons. If you give them $100, they'll buy back $100 of stock so as to benefit from the uplift in share price.

2. The government is sending the message that it's OK to invest abroad, because at some point there will be a tax holiday and you can bring it home.

(There's a bigger issue too. Real interest rates are close to zero for investment grade companies in the US already. If you want to build a factory in Dayton, Ohio, then it's not lack of capital that's constraining you - it's the fact that your return will be much higher if you build it somewhere else.)
  • Options
    Mr. D, in a world where Donald Trump is president, Jeremy Corbyn may win the next election, and Boris Johnson might be the next prime minister, the word 'unspoofable' is in extreme danger of retirement.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Pong said:

Excellent news.

Student Joshua Walker 'assisted US special forces' in Syria

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-41753663

"Asked by the prosecution if he would have made use of the "cookbook", Walker replied: "No, I'm quite fond of my hands - I don't want to lose them following some possibly rubbish ingredients from recipes from years ago."
  • Options
    As an aside, signing up for a job searching website and there are a range of sectors etc to include. Seems good. But I need to specify one job title. It just seems contradictory. You can tick boxes for archaeology, games writing and researching but need a single job title...

If I weren't taking this seriously I'd be tempted to put 'chocolate taster'.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,289
    stodge said:

‘Met very few’?! So you have met some!
  • Options
    Pong said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

Excellent news.

Student Joshua Walker 'assisted US special forces' in Syria

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-41753663

"Asked by the prosecution if he would have made use of the "cookbook", Walker replied: "No, I'm quite fond of my hands - I don't want to lose them following some possibly rubbish ingredients from recipes from years ago."
    Why would US special forces rely on a random Brit as an interpreter?
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Mr. D, in a world where Donald Trump is president, Jeremy Corbyn may win the next election, and Boris Johnson might be the next prime minister, the word 'unspoofable' is in extreme danger of retirement.

The only constant left in the universe is the perennial delay on TSE's AV magnum opus :D
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    This appears to be a daisy chain of anti-Zionist victims.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    rcs1000 said:

FPT:

DavidL said:

I was hearing yesterday that Trump is making progress with his tax code changes in the House which will allow a tax holiday of sorts which will in turn allow the tech giants to bring $1trn+ back to the US. If he delivers that and if the conditionality requires that money to be invested in the US writing Trump off in 2020 may well prove an expensive mistake.

The last person to implement a "tax holiday" for firms who brought back money from abroad was Clinton. Firms who brought back money were less likely to invest in the US, than those who did not. And pretty much all the repatriated money was used for share buybacks rather than investment.

Why?

1. CEOs of firms are rational and have short time horizons. If you give them $100, they'll buy back $100 of stock so as to benefit from the uplift in share price.

2. The government is sending the message that it's OK to invest abroad, because at some point there will be a tax holiday and you can bring it home.

(There's a bigger issue too. Real interest rates are close to zero for investment grade companies in the US already. If you want to build a factory in Dayton, Ohio, then it's not lack of capital that's constraining you - it's the fact that your return will be much higher if you build it somewhere else.)
    Which is why the tax changes need to be permanent rather than temporary.
    From my limited understanding of capital investment in the US, other things being equal they’ll build the factory in whichever county or state gives them the biggest bribe corporate tax break.

That said, if $2trn comes back onshore, it’ll get spent somewhere, and it will look good on Trump.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,720
    I'm not sure whether this is a comment on the adultery statistics at the top or merely a reflection of the abysmal standard of BBC journalists these days:

A woman who murdered her sister while having an affair with her husband has been jailed for a minimum of 22 years.

I assume they mean that she was having an affair with her brother-in-law rather than her husband, although it sounds intriguing that you can have an affair with your own husband.
  • Options
    RobD said:

The only constant left in the universe is the perennial delay on TSE's AV magnum opus :D
    I’m writing one of Sunday’s threads and there’s an opportunity to talk about the Alternative Vote in it.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,289

RobD said:

I’m writing one of Sunday’s threads and there’s an opportunity to talk about the Alternative Vote in it.
    Every thread provides such an opportunity if we try hard enough.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,073
    Re matters religious, I see there's now a movement to have JRR Tolkien canonised.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    tlg86 said:

To be honest, it's not a surprise that the people who would take the piss by saying that not killing people is no longer an important principle, would also take the piss by saying they'd vote Lib Dem.

A man is stopped while driving a car erratically.

The police officer advises him that he is to be asked for a breath test. But the man produces a card saying, 'Asthamtic. Do not take breath test.'

The police officer, undaunted, advises him that he will be asked for a blood test. The man produces a second card; 'Anaemic. Do not take blood test.'

The police officer is now getting frustrated. 'Well, sir,' he says firmly, 'You will have to come back to the station for a urine test.'

The man hunts wildly in his pockets, and finally produces a third card. 'This man is a former Liberal Democrat MP who supported the coalition...'

(Harsh. The coalition would have been the best government ever if Gove had been put somewhere he couldn't do any significant damage, like Rockall.)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I'm not sure whether this is a comment on the adultery statistics at the top or merely a reflection of the abysmal standard of BBC journalists these days:

A woman who murdered her sister while having an affair with her husband has been jailed for a minimum of 22 years.

I assume they mean that she was having an affair with her brother-in-law rather than her husband, although it sounds intriguing that you can have an affair with your own husband.

Clearly the BBC are following the Telegraph’s lead in firing all their sub editors, just assuming that the journalist can publish their own story with no-one else having read it first.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Clearly the BBC are following the Telegraph’s lead in firing all their sub editors, just assuming that the journalist can publish their own story with no-one else having read it first.
    Or maybe it's a new idea for marital harmony? Have flings, but with your own spouse?
  • Options
    Oh, and as an addition to the prior post, if anybody has a job going for which my many and varied talents would be suitable, do feel free to let me know.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pong said:

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdQ-BVG4ZHg
    Mr Minchin also has a rather good song about the Pope (the last one rather than the current one). I’m not going to link to it because it’s rather rude, but even as a practicing Catholic I can understand that in certain circumstances such language may be appropriate if it serves to widen the debate. Fans of Harvey Weinstein’s Hollywood friends may not like it either.
    I am going to link to it, rude or not.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHRDfut2Vx0

Amazingly abusive toward the (previous!) pope, yet difficult to deny he's made a very good point. Plus catchy.
  • Options
    I wonder what they revised. The audio clip of the vote of no confidence is great.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I'm rather puzzled by that. How would the presence or absence of a deal between the UK and the EU make any difference to trading with China, once we are no longer members of the EU? Surely it's China we should be talking to, in order to ensure no disruption to our trade and their medical supplies?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sabah Khan's internet search history included "venomous snakes for sale", "how to poison someone" and "16 steps to kill someone and not get caught".
    She had also been in touch with a "black magic priest" in Pakistan who she had paid £5,000 to kill her sister "by remote control".

The mind boggles.
This discussion has been closed.