Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on the next Tory Party Chairman (or Chairwoman)

SystemSystem Posts: 11,744
edited October 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on the next Tory Party Chairman (or Chairwoman)

Ladbrokes have a market on who the next Chairman or Chairwoman of the the Tory party will be. It seems Sir Patrick McLoughlin will be standing down following his role in the disastrous general election campaign and the farce at the Tory conference when a ‘comedian’ interrupted Mrs May and the background behind Mrs May start falling apart, which in no way was symbolic for the shambles Mrs May has become since she called the snap election that squandered David Cameron’s majority. So who to replace him?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,042
    First!
  • Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    Seconded...
  • Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    Tumbleweed......
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,686
    Third. I have met Mr Lewis, and he is a decent enough guy, but the sort of person many Tories would describe as a bit of an oik. Given such attitudes I would be surprised if he gets the job, or indeed if the job is right for him.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,183
    Just been sent details of what looks like an interesting lecture at University of Essex, 7pm on Tues 7th. HOW HAS THE 2017 GENERAL ELECTION AFFECTED BREXIT?
    Prof Paul Whiteley, from Essex’ Dept of Government
    See: http://lakesidetheatre.org.uk/events/how-has-the-2017-general-election-affected-brexit/
    Free.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,228
    Party chairman might be a good place to shift Boris when he finally overstays his welcome at the foreign office.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,991
    I have as much chance as Nikki Morgan
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,991
    On Topic BICIPC
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Sandpit said:

Party chairman might be a good place to shift Boris when he finally overstays his welcome at the foreign office.

aI don't think Boris would take it, but he would be well suited to it.

JRM would see it as promotion and is a better organiser.

May is more likely to put someone there who is no threat.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Sandpit said:

That was a non starter last time around, as it is the last place a PM would put an ambitious unprincipled rival like Boris; the advantages in terms of media and meeting members for him were just too great. The idea of FS was that he was out of the country and off our screens most of the time,

Now that May must recognise she is on borrowed time, she might be prepared to consider it. Although there will still be a lot of pressure not to let him loose in such a role.

The job is also supposed to require someone with some organisational ability.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,056
    Good morning, everyone.

Hmm. Was Rory Stewart in the military?

Anyway, fresh blood would be good.
  • Options
    The Party Chairmanship is a dual role. There is the media role - where Patrick has not shone and then there is the other party organisation role which people outside the party don't really see.

For the media role then clearly Johnny Mercer is the man. But for the organising minutiae I'm not sure someone who didn't succome to the pressures to vote prior to his own selection as a parliamentary candidate is at all suited.

The best party chairman was John Gummer - no doubt about that. He was ideally suited for intricate roles, vide Agriculture where in truth he wrote the present Common Agricultural Policy. Of course that meant that he made a lot of enemies from those who chose to call him a dritseck or some such.

For me the best on the list is Tobias Ellwood by far. If Johnny got it then he would need a trustable sidekick to do the real work such as Rob Halfon. If Jacob were offered it and then accepted that would be a sign like the Morning Star that Theresa intends him to be her successor.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Sandpit said:

I don't think Boris would take it, but he would be well suited to it.

Would JRM want it? What is his ambition? If he wants to be Speaker one day then he would probably want to steer clear of such an overtly political post.

TSE's idea of a military man to exploit Labour's weakness on defence is fine except that it risks allowing Labour to exploit the Tories' weakness on defence.

This is not a market for the unwary or uninformed punter such as myself.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Would JRM want it? What is his ambition? If he wants to be Speaker one day then he would probably want to steer clear of such an overtly political post.

TSE's idea of a military man to exploit Labour's weakness on defence is fine except that it risks allowing Labour to exploit the Tories' weakness on defence.

It's not a job for a man on a high horse.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,719
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

It's not a job for a man on a high horse.
    That's OK, Mercer was in the RA :smiley:
  • Options

The Party Chairmanship is a dual role. There is the media role - where Patrick has not shone and then there is the other party organisation role which people outside the party don't really see.

For the media role then clearly Johnny Mercer is the man. But for the organising minutiae I'm not sure someone who didn't succome to the pressures to vote prior to his own selection as a parliamentary candidate is at all suited.

The best party chairman was John Gummer - no doubt about that. He was ideally suited for intricate roles, vide Agriculture where in truth he wrote the present Common Agricultural Policy. Of course that meant that he made a lot of enemies from those who chose to call him a dritseck or some such.

For me the best on the list is Tobias Ellwood by far. If Johnny got it then he would need a trustable sidekick to do the real work such as Rob Halfon. If Jacob were offered it and then accepted that would be a sign like the Morning Star that Theresa intends him to be her successor.

For some reason May doesn’t seem to like Halfon.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,641

Sandpit said:

The Tories are never weak on defence, just as Lab are never weak on the NHS.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Boris is 10/1. Anyone who still thinks the Prime Minister has the authority to reshuffle or sack any of her big beasts without triggering a leadership challenge and her own early retirement should lump on. Remember to save your bus fare home. On the other hand, if you think Boris would welcome the rubber chicken circuit and the chance to be the highest profile chairman since Norman Tebbit, the advice is the same.

Does James Cleverly count as military enough? He's a colonel in the TA, according to Wikipedia, so the same rank as Labour's next leader. He has a good speaking voice and comes across well on television.

One name on the list that is not like the others is Zac. If the Tories are short of money after GE2017 then appointing a squillionaire chairman might be an easy fix.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,155

Sandpit said:

The tory record on defence is probably worse than Labour when viewed dispassionately.
  • Options

Boris is 10/1. Anyone who still thinks the Prime Minister has the authority to reshuffle or sack any of her big beasts without triggering a leadership challenge and her own early retirement should lump on. Remember to save your bus fare home. On the other hand, if you think Boris would welcome the rubber chicken circuit and the chance to be the highest profile chairman since Norman Tebbit, the advice is the same.

If Boris has any sense he will ask for it. He would make a superb party chairman - high profile, popular, an excellent speaker, an ability to put things across in a simple way, charming and easy going and, yes, the ability to tell a Corbyn-style big lie with a straight face when necessary. Those are presumably the reasons why May gave him the Foreign Office, but it overlooked his big weaknesses - his lack of tact and love of insult humour. But for Party Chairman those would again be advantages.

It is because he has no sense that I do not think he would take it. But it might, for him, be a possible path to the leadership if h can deliver the crushing of the nutters currently running Labour. The Foreign Office, unusually, is not.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

The tory record on defence is probably worse than Labour when viewed dispassionately.
    Worse than Labour's record under Blair and Brown, probably. Worse than Corbyn would be? That's got to be considered doubtful.

At the same time I can't see how it would make any difference. Corbyn's views and past were very well known and it didn't stop him being the second most electorally successful Labour leader of the last fifty years. If the Conservatives don't have something positive on the economy and society then his unabashed bungs to the middle classes at the expense of the poor will surely still trump (no pun intended) doubts about his links to extremism or the threat to national security.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Worse than Labour's record under Blair and Brown, probably. Worse than Corbyn would be? That's got to be considered doubtful.

At the same time I can't see how it would make any difference. Corbyn's views and past were very well known and it didn't stop him being the second most electorally successful Labour leader of the last fifty years. If the Conservatives don't have something positive on the economy and society then his unabashed bungs to the middle classes at the expense of the poor will surely still trump (no pun intended) doubts about his links to extremism or the threat to national security.
    Not convinced in Brown - some of the idiot decisions made on the QE class of carriers are at the heart of today's problems
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,841
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Not convinced in Brown - some of the idiot decisions made on the QE class of carriers are at the heart of today's problems
    QE class? HMS Fiscal Stimulus?

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,289

kyf_100 said:

Let's take PB as a microcosm.

(snip)

Of course PB is not a representative sample of the population at large (who may be very resentful at being asked to vote again and may vote in a "stuff the lot of you" fashion), but I find it _very_ telling how nobody on here has changed their mind since last year.

We were discussing the other day the fact that almost nobody on PB changes their mind about anything, ever. The idea of floating voters being a distinct set of people separate from the hardened politicos who never changed their minds is unfashionable, but it's not totally false, and I don't think there are many genuinely floating voters here, though plato hilariously used to pose as one, always "just" deciding to vote Tory.
    Despite generally a civil place the nature of PB like most places on the Internet discourges changing your mind. You won't get thanked by those you've switched too, indeed they will probably be angrier that you didn't do so sooner . If someone hints at uncertainty in the own former view there's a good chance of vicious mockery or a lot of smug reaction.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

At the very least that potential weakness didn't seem to hurt labour in June and it was a significant area.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

(snip)

Of course PB is not a representative sample of the population at large (who may be very resentful at being asked to vote again and may vote in a "stuff the lot of you" fashion), but I find it _very_ telling how nobody on here has changed their mind since last year.

We were discussing the other day the fact that almost nobody on PB changes their mind about anything, ever. The idea of floating voters being a distinct set of people separate from the hardened politicos who never changed their minds is unfashionable, but it's not totally false, and I don't think there are many genuinely floating voters here, though plato hilariously used to pose as one, always "just" deciding to vote Tory.
    Despite generally a civil place the nature of PB like most places on the Internet discourges changing your mind. You won't get thanked by those you've switched too, indeed they will probably be angrier that you didn't do so sooner . If someone hints at uncertainty in the own former view there's a good chance of vicious mockery or a lot of smug reaction.
    I came very, very close to a change of mind over Brexit. I was almost perfectly 50/50 at the time of the vote but in the end voted remain. I am now a convinced (but unenthusiastic) remainer. Not fussed about what PB thinks of that, but thank God I voted the way I did. I find it very easy to imagine the guilt and remorse I would now feel if I had voted Leave.
  • Options
    Mr. Z, I wavered more than I thought I would when it came to the vote.

A matter of least worst option, unfortunately.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

(snip)

I have floated quite a bit voting over the GE's since 83: SDP, Alliance, Labour, Labour, Labour, Green, Con, LD, LD. Quite possibly Lab next time. Some of this is my own ideas for the direction that the country should take have changed, and some is that my beliefs are not a perfect fit for any party.

I have changed my mind on Corbyn and McDonnell (as indeed many other floating voters have too!). I am a member of the LDs, but will not support them while Cable is in charge.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,355
    Jeremy Hunt would be a good outside bet to shake up CCHQ.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,155
    edited October 2017
    ydoethur said:

I was an officer for 9 years under Conservative governments (Thatcher/Major) and 8 years under Labour (Blair). I certainly know which complexion of politician attacked conditions and benefits the most and it wasn't the red team.
  • Options
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

(snip)

If you want to change your mind, try arguing for the opposite of what you believe in. As long as you do make a genuine attempt (rather than just mocking or parodying the people whose arguments you're adopting), you'd be amazed at how much it changes your perspective
  • Options
    TSE should be chairperson!
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

(snip)

I came very, very close to a change of mind over Brexit. I was almost perfectly 50/50 at the time of the vote but in the end voted remain. I am now a convinced (but unenthusiastic) remainer. Not fussed about what PB thinks of that, but thank God I voted the way I did. I find it very easy to imagine the guilt and remorse I would now feel if I had voted Leave.
    TRAITOR! Um, morning, Ishmael!
  • Options

TSE should be chairperson!

He could convert the turnip taliban to the virtues of Remain, George Osborne and AV, but alas is unlikely to be Theresa's first choice!
  • Options
    Emily Thornberry suggests Labour would keep Britain 'in a form of customs union' on Marr.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

(snip)

If you want to change your mind, try arguing for the opposite of what you believe in. As long as you do make a genuine attempt (rather than just mocking or parodying the people whose arguments you're adopting), you'd be amazed at how much it changes your perspective
    How's this for changing minds?
    2010 Tory
    2015 Labour
    2017 Tory
    :)
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    I'd rather be a layer than a backer in this market.Matthew Hancock,an apt name,has been absent from public view for some time.I don't think he's been mucking out stables in Newmarket but have the Tories given up on him because of his seemingly uncontrollable,involuntary,jerky movements of his hand and wrist whilst speaking,leading to an obvious new moniker which makes Mrs Volcano giggle? Can't he just sit on his hands?
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    HYUFD said:

That is a brilliant suggestion! Yes!! Jeremy Hunt to be Chairman of the Conservative Party!

Failing him, Gove!
  • Options

kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

(snip)

I change my mind on many things, thanks. The point was on the big things there is no safe space online for people to do so, so even if you don't care what a place thinks you have to accept taking a lot of shit, and people don't like doing that. Every time I have regrets on Brexit, which was a very hard decision which haa not been going swimmingly, a place like PB subconsciously reinforces my initial decision because who wants to admit a mistake - given how much I vacillate over things, I think I'd have changed my mind at the vote without PB.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

(snip)

How's this for changing minds?
    2010 Tory
    2015 Labour
    2017 Tory
    :)
    So Labour next time :)

Just think of those luvverly British Rail trains...
  • Options

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Queen Elizabeth (I think that's the class - apparently Navy thought it made them harder to cancel!)
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

I was an officer for 9 years under Conservative governments (Thatcher/Major) and 8 years under Labour (Blair). I certainly know which complexion of politician attacked conditions and benefits the most and it wasn't the red team.
    I believe many Police personnel feel the same.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Emily Thornberry suggests Labour would keep Britain 'in a form of customs union' on Marr.

An admirably wide nd open to interpretation suggestion.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

Attacking conditions and benefits are not necessarily a sign that they are poor on defence
  • Options
    Betting post

F1: pre-race ramble here: http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/usa-pre-race-2017.html

Backed Ricciardo for a podium at 2.5, and Alonso to not be classified at 2.75.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

An admirably wide nd open to interpretation suggestion.
    As with almost everything Brexit related with Labour at the moment.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Yorkcity said:

Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

And Cameron's plans for a clinician led NHS, without onerous targets and top down reorganisations did the opposite in 2010 for NHS workers. The Pulse survey had 50% of doctors voting Tory, though I think that has dropped off a lot since.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

That is a brilliant suggestion! Yes!! Jeremy Hunt to be Chairman of the Conservative Party!

Failing him, Gove!
    Yes, either would be good at changing CCHQ from its recent amateur status to the election fighting force it needs to be.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

Attacking conditions and benefits are not necessarily a sign that they are poor on defence
    The QE class ships are a major distortion of our Navy, and do not have the escorts needed. Is this worth losing our amphibious capability and one of the RM Commando's?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,272
    edited October 2017
    Would get the windbag out of Scotland so gets my vote, though it would probably mean her big baw face would be in papers and on TV more so has a big downside.
  • Options
    Dr. Foxinsox, you're blaming the Coalition/Conservatives for the carriers, for which Brown is entirely responsible (signing a contract whereby building both was cheaper than cancelling one)?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Does James Cleverly count as military enough? He's a colonel in the TA, according to Wikipedia, so the same rank as Labour's next leader. He has a good speaking voice and comes across well on television.

One name on the list that is not like the others is Zac. If the Tories are short of money after GE2017 then appointing a squillionaire chairman might be an easy fix.

Zac - the Bollywood fan

https://youtu.be/vWPVvGH_dlo
  • Options
    Latest polling from Catalonia, published on Friday, shows a majority of Catalans opposed to UDI and wanting an arrangement that keeps Catalonia in Spain:

http://www.elperiodico.com/es/politica/20171020/encuesta-cataluna-6368599

As I’ve said on here many times before - give the Catalans what the Basques have and the crisis goes away. That could have happened years ago, of course, but for the PP.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, latest Spain-wide poll shows PSOE closing gap on PP; Ciudadanos vote rising and Podemos vote falling compared to the last GE.
    https://twitter.com/electograph/status/922022699672784898
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,614
    Scott_P said:
    Ruth's ambition is to campaign to become FM in Scotland. It is almost certainly an overly ambitious ambition but it is one that could do the Tories a lot of good north of the border even if it fails. It is a full time job and then some. Taking on a national roll that would require her to spend a lot of time outside Scotland would be fatal.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

And Cameron's plans for a clinician led NHS, without onerous targets and top down reorganisations did the opposite in 2010 for NHS workers. The Pulse survey had 50% of doctors voting Tory, though I think that has dropped off a lot since.
    'plans for a clinician led NHS, without onerous targets and top down reorganisations’

That’s worked out well, hasn’t it!
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Cons could disband HMF and Lab could close down every A&E in the country and each would still be perceived as strong on defence and the NHS respectively.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Latest polling from Catalonia, published on Friday, shows a majority of Catalans opposed to UDI and wanting an arrangement that keeps Catalonia in Spain:

As I’ve said on here many times before - give the Catalans what the Basques have and the crisis goes away. That could have happened years ago, of course, but for the PP.

Majority of Catalans or people living in Catalonia? How many ‘immigrants’ to Scotland voted No in the Sindy referendum?
  • Options

Dr. Foxinsox, you're blaming the Coalition/Conservatives for the carriers, for which Brown is entirely responsible (signing a contract whereby building both was cheaper than cancelling one)?

No, I blame both Labour and Conservatives for them. It is the Consrrvatives who now propose RN cuts that end amphibious capability, and neither party properly addressed the needs for aircraft andd escorts. We would really need a substantial uplift in RN budget to make them useful.
  • Options
    Dr. Foxinsox, I agree entirely that the proposed cuts to Defence (again) are short-sighted and stupid. There'd be more Defence budget to play with if Labour hadn't buggered things, however, (both Defence-specific and running a deficit in a boom right before the worst recession in British history).
  • Options

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

And deployed against SLAB's enemy the SNP.
  • Options

Dr. Foxinsox, I agree entirely that the proposed cuts to Defence (again) are short-sighted and stupid. There'd be more Defence budget to play with if Labour hadn't buggered things, however, (both Defence-specific and running a deficit in a boom right before the worst recession in British history).

Eeesh, correcting your historical inaccuracies is a full time job.

The recession of 1919-21 was a worse recession.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, one does not concern oneself with a period so recent that to refer to it as 'historical' is vulgar.
  • Options

Majority of Catalans or people living in Catalonia? How many ‘immigrants’ to Scotland voted No in the Sindy referendum?

Voters in Catalonia. The wealthier and more Catalan you are the likelier you are to back separation:

https://elpais.com/elpais/2017/09/29/inenglish/1506691641_240457.html
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

How well did the Cameron government treat military personnel ?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,026
    edited October 2017

Zac - the Bollywood fan

That is the most cringeworthy interview of all time! In retrospect, probably the moment at which Sadiq clinched the mayoralty.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

The most popular option in Catalonia in that poll is actually to call new elections to avoid losing autonomy (which polls say would see the pro independence ERC emerge as the largest party), the second most popular option is to declare independence and the option to call off the independence threat and to negotiate with Spain was last.
  • Options

Charles said:

Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

The QE class ships are a major distortion of our Navy, and do not have the escorts needed. Is this worth losing our amphibious capability and one of the RM Commando's?
    They're to be used for posturing not fighting.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Cleverly could be a smart choice.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    HYUFD said:

PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

Failing him, Gove!
    Yes, either would be good at changing CCHQ from its recent amateur status to the election fighting force it needs to be.
    Both have a first-class record of wrecking the institutions they were supposedly there to lead and improve. That is why I would thoroughly approve of either taking charge of the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The most popular option in Catalonia in that poll is actually to call new elections to avoid losing autonomy (which polls say would see the pro independence ERC emerge as the largest party), the second most popular option is to declare independence and the option to call off the independence threat and to negotiate with Spain was last.

Not sure you’ve read the whole thing: 55% specifically oppose UDI; 46% want more autonomy within Spain; 36% want independence.

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2017
    "Some Ministers believe there is now a dangerous disengagement at the top of Government. They were aghast last Sunday to see a briefing from Philip Hammond indicating that he would be getting down with the kids, axing pensions relief, and offering tax cuts for younger voters. ‘This is the problem with having both a Prime Minister and Chancellor who aren’t political,’ one Minister conceded. ‘Yes, if you want to tackle decades of intergenerational unfairness this is a great idea. But if you ever want to see another Tory majority, it’s madness.’"

Bollox. It's the painful but necessary rebirth of conservatism.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,472
    edited October 2017
    I liked this bit:
    Tom Tugendhat has the attributes to deal with the perceptions that the Tories are out of touch with younger voters. He has a masters in Islamics from Cambridge, speaks fluent Arabic...

Perhaps not foremost among the attributes required to be in touch with most younger voters ?
  • Options
    edited October 2017

HYUFD said:

Not sure you’ve read the whole thing: 55% specifically oppose UDI; 46% want more autonomy within Spain; 36% want independence.

As with Scotland as with Quebec the most popular long-term option is more autonomy rather than outright independence but in the short term the most popular option is new elections which would likely see the pro independence ERC win most seats.
  • Options
    Pong said:

"Some Ministers believe there is now a dangerous disengagement at the top of Government. They were aghast last Sunday to see a briefing from Philip Hammond indicating that he would be getting down with the kids, axing pensions relief, and offering tax cuts for younger voters. ‘This is the problem with having both a Prime Minister and Chancellor who aren’t political,’ one Minister conceded. ‘Yes, if you want to tackle decades of intergenerational unfairness this is a great idea. But if you ever want to see another Tory majority, it’s madness.’"

Bollox. It's the painful but necessary rebirth of conservatism.
    Come off it. It's Dan's finest hour, since he so brilliantly called the 2010 leadership election for Miliband ... (David).
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Cleverly could be a smart choice.

Cleverly would surely be a clever choice.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Zac - the Bollywood fan

That is the most cringeworthy interview of all time! In retrospect, probably the moment at which Sadiq clinched the mayoralty.
    Nope it was when, in an Evening Standard interview (My London), he said that his favourite shop was his local Londis.

I mean please - don't insult us.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I liked this bit:
    Tom Tugendhat has the attributes to deal with the perceptions that the Tories are out of touch with younger voters. He has a masters in Islamic from Cambridge, speaks fluent Arabic...

Perhaps not foremost among the attributes required to be in touch with most younger voters ?

And Arab countries are rather more intolerant of homosexuality than the DUP.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

Failing him, Gove!
    Both have a first-class record of wrecking the institutions they were supposedly there to lead and improve. That is why I would thoroughly approve of either taking charge of the Conservative Party.
    Both have reformed health and education but not in a way the left approves of as they have favoured the consumer rather than just the producer.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    On topic: Boris, surely? A natural fit - can be vacuous and affable and take every opportunity for publicity. Not a great organiser but good at delegating.

On mind-changing: I think PB is pretty civilised and people can say they've changed and get a respectful response - puzzled that someone (kle4?) thought that even those who agree would slag the changer off. The hints that Fox and Beverley may vote Labour next time are great as far as I'm concerned.

On Catalonia: a proper referendum might be worth a shot, but Cameron has copyrighted that phrase, and not in a good way. The poll is encouraging for integrationists, but the multiple-choice format makes it risky - if you say "would you like independence or one of this array of alternatives?" it squeezes the actual support for independence vs any specific alternative.

On defence: IIRC YouGov showed the Tories having only a narrow lead on it. I don't think this is because people think Corbyn would revive our global military might (even I'd LOL at that idea) but that people think both parties are pretty rubbish. In the absence of an apparent threat, it's not a very salient issue, though (which is presumably why the Tories don't really bother either).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

As with Scotland as with Quebec the most popular long-term option is more autonomy rather than outright independence but in the short term the most popular option is new elections which would likely see the pro independence ERC win most seats.

Yep - that’s a product of the independence vote coalescing. But you need close to 70 seats to govern. ERC will be well short of that, so would need to be in coalition. That becomes much harder if more autonomy is on the negotiating table. The end game here - the one that Madrid needs to get to - is a referendum in Catalonia on more autonomy within Spain.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

Zac - the Bollywood fan

Nope it was when, in an Evening Standard interview (My London), he said that his favourite shop was his local Londis.

I mean please - don't insult us.
    LOL! I missed that one!
  • Options
    BIG day at Wembley for me..... and I don't mean Radio 1's Teen Awards bash
  • Options

On topic: Boris, surely? A natural fit - can be vacuous and affable and take every opportunity for publicity. Not a great organiser but good at delegating.

On mind-changing: I think PB is pretty civilised and people can say they've changed and get a respectful response - puzzled that someone (kle4?) thought that even those who agree would slag the changer off. The hints that Fox and Beverley may vote Labour next time are great as far as I'm concerned.

On Catalonia: a proper referendum might be worth a shot, but Cameron has copyrighted that phrase, and not in a good way. The poll is encouraging for integrationists, but the multiple-choice format makes it risky - if you say "would you like independence or one of this array of alternatives?" it squeezes the actual support for independence vs any specific alternative.

On defence: IIRC YouGov showed the Tories having only a narrow lead on it. I don't think this is because people think Corbyn would revive our global military might (even I'd LOL at that idea) but that people think both parties are pretty rubbish. In the absence of an apparent threat, it's not a very salient issue, though (which is presumably why the Tories don't really bother either).

As long as Britain has a larger military than Spain or Argentina, to in theory defend Gibraltar and the Falklands, which it still does we would almost certainly not be taking military action without being alongside the US, NATO or the U.N. so it is really about how effective the military is in that role rather than raw numbers.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,926
    edited October 2017

BIG day at Wembley for me..... and I don't mean Radio 1's Teen Awards bash
    Spurs win nailed on, have bet on it.

Jurgen Klopp's record at Wembley is worse than Spurs.
  • Options

I'd rather be a layer than a backer in this market.Matthew Hancock,an apt name,has been absent from public view for some time.I don't think he's been mucking out stables in Newmarket but have the Tories given up on him because of his seemingly uncontrollable,involuntary,jerky movements of his hand and wrist whilst speaking,leading to an obvious new moniker which makes Mrs Volcano giggle? Can't he just sit on his hands?

Mathew Hanock is a good writer but a poor speaker. A classic backroom person.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,469
    edited October 2017
    malcolmg said:

Would get the windbag out of Scotland so gets my vote, though it would probably mean her big baw face would be in papers and on TV more so has a big downside.
    If she took on another job, where would Ruth find the time to fulfill that vital duty of msps, the constituency surgery? I'm sure her constituents are continually keen to hear her views on education, the NHS, Universal Credit, the Rape Clause, Brexit etc, not to mention the worrying incidence of bigotry and racism amongst SCon elected representatives.

Oh.

https://twitter.com/CaroleMagoha/status/880890979947089920
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,841
    Long-odds candidate for Labour leadership on Peston. ..
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Hmm. Was Rory Stewart in the military?

Anyway, fresh blood would be good.

Only briefly. Commissioned into the Black Watch during his gap year. Certainly a better use of his time than getting stoned in Thailand.

• Options

Mathew Hanock is a good writer but a poor speaker. A classic backroom person.
    Wasn't Matthew Hancock one of the ministers who authorised the payments of taxpayers money to Kids Company despite being told not to by civil servants ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

As long as Britain has a larger military than Spain or Argentina, to in theory defend Gibraltar and the Falklands, which it still does we would almost certainly not be taking military action without being alongside the US, NATO or the U.N. so it is really about how effective the military is in that role rather than raw numbers.

Yes, I agree (!). Insofar as we want to be able to assist in distant ops (which I might be up for in a UNO context, but certainly not to assist Mr Trump invading Mexico or Iran), sealift is critical. My understanding is that it used to be almost non-existent, then we made an effort for a bit, and now we're fading again. But others here will know more.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,272
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    Ruth's ambition is to campaign to become FM in Scotland. It is almost certainly an overly ambitious ambition but it is one that could do the Tories a lot of good north of the border even if it fails. It is a full time job and then some. Taking on a national roll that would require her to spend a lot of time outside Scotland would be fatal.
    It would be in the national interest however.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,614
    What does May want from her Party Chairman? Some more discipline in the Parliamentary Party, cash, someone to restore somewhat battered morale and a talking head that sounds more coherent than most senior ministers do at the moment, all of these things would be nice but the most important things are loyalty (she knows she is going to face a challenge at some point but would no doubt prefer to choose that point) and someone she can get on with. One of her many weaknesses, honed to perfection during the long years in the Home Office, is her desire for small teams that don't speak out of turn or to anyone else.

Ben Wallace is a surprising omission from this list.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yep - that’s a product of the independence vote coalescing. But you need close to 70 seats to govern. ERC will be well short of that, so would need to be in coalition. That becomes much harder if more autonomy is on the negotiating table. The end game here - the one that Madrid needs to get to - is a referendum in Catalonia on more autonomy within Spain.

Yes though the PP is a long way from that yet and we are still in the awkward situation where the PP is the most popular party in Spain and the ERC the most popular party in Catalonia. Think the Tories being the most popular party in the UK and the SNP in Scotland except the PP not even willing to yet get to a Tory level of compromise.
  • Options
    Brexit poll update from Opinium. Summary: May is handling it badly, it's all very difficult, but underlying opinion much as before.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/21/brexit-poll-opinium-eu-no-deal
This discussion has been closed.