Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » From Core TV – focus on PB, Brexit, the “Democrats”, the Tory

SystemSystem Posts: 11,709
edited August 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » From Core TV – focus on PB, Brexit, the “Democrats”, the Tory leadership and more

No David Herdson with his usual Saturday morning post this morning but instead this TV feature on PB and many of the issues we’ve been discussing on the site over the past few weeks.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,113
    edited August 2017
    Thirst.

Now all I need is 25 minutes to watch the video ...
  • Options
    Fecund
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Turd...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,113
    edited August 2017
    Borth.

Good to see I'm not the only insomniac.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Nine million, three hundred and eight thousand, five hundred and seventy-seventh!
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    at c.2:54

"I ran for the county council in 1989, and my main opposition in the division where I was standing was an SDP candidate"

"Main" opposition? Is that an example of the numerical spinning of alt-centre fanaticism?

Bedfordshire County Council 1989
    De Parys division

Smithson M. (LD) 1,060 (52.5%)
    Groves S. Ms. (Con) 795 (39.4%)
    Struthers J. Ms. (SDP) 164 (8.1%)

http://www.electionscentre.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Bedfordshire-County.pdf
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,015
    JohnLoony said:

"I ran for the county council in 1989, and my main opposition in the division where I was standing was an SDP candidate"

"Main" opposition? Is that an example of the numerical spinning of alt-centre fanaticism?

De Parys division

http://www.electionscentre.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Bedfordshire-County.pdf

Puts a whole new perspective on LD bar charts... titters :D

Always good to see OGH on the big screen. :)
  • Options
    d_d said:

Bet on T.May leaving before September 1st. https://www.betmoose.com/bet/will-theresa-may-still-be-pm-on-september-1st-3170#bets-1 and get 0.1 BTC !

Welcome to PB, I don't think I've seen a bitcoin betting exchange before.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    d_d said:

Bet on T.May leaving before September 1st. https://www.betmoose.com/bet/will-theresa-may-still-be-pm-on-september-1st-3170#bets-1 and get 0.1 BTC !

Are you outside the UK? I am seeing "Country Blocked
    Thanks for visting BetMoose. Unfortunately, your IP address is located within a jurisdiction that has threatened to shut us down unless we prevent you from using BetMoose" from that link
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

d_d said:

Thanks for visting BetMoose. Unfortunately, your IP address is located within a jurisdiction that has threatened to shut us down unless we prevent you from using BetMoose" from that link
    Sit tight, the spooks will be around soon :smiley:
  • Options
    It would not surprise me if Theresa May called an election early in 2018, after Brexit talks had ground to a halt. Whether Parliament would agree to this is another matter, as many MP's might be very reluctant to take part in an election so soon after the last one. Jeremy Corbyn did not resist the June 2017 election, but this time around he might deploy different tactics. Instead he might force a vote of confidence in the government and look to gain support for Labour to form a government.

The reason i think this might happen, is that neither Theresa May or any of her ministers are denying that Brexit talks due in October will be delayed, as not enough progress had been made. One key issue is the financial settlement, which will be very difficult to gain agreement on. And if this is not agreed, then talks don't move on to trade deals. It will get to the stage where Brexit by March 2019 based on any deal will be unlikely and there is too much opposition in Parliament to a hard form of Brexit. That will trigger calls for an election or change in government.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,083
    Ishmael_Z said:

d_d said:

And specifically refers to the UK.

Glorious twelfth. Although it’s a week late!
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    JohnLoony said:

De Parys division

The main fight in that election was between me and the SDP candidate as to who was best able to gain the seat from the Tories.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953
    Ishmael_Z said:

d_d said:

Ha, works for me, and I'm in a place where all the regular UK bookmaker sites are blocked!

Not that I'm about to start betting in Bitcoins though, on a market that only seems to have taken three bets this month!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Good morning, everyone.

Be interesting to see how much of a viewership a current events channel can get. Hope it does well (and is neutral/balanced).
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited August 2017
    Richard_H said:

It would not surprise me if Theresa May called an election early in 2018, after Brexit talks had ground to a halt. Whether Parliament would agree to this is another matter, as many MP's might be very reluctant to take part in an election so soon after the last one. Jeremy Corbyn did not resist the June 2017 election, but this time around he might deploy different tactics. Instead he might force a vote of confidence in the government and look to gain support for Labour to form a government.

The reason i think this might happen, is that neither Theresa May or any of her ministers are denying that Brexit talks due in October will be delayed, as not enough progress had been made. One key issue is the financial settlement, which will be very difficult to gain agreement on. And if this is not agreed, then talks don't move on to trade deals. It will get to the stage where Brexit by March 2019 based on any deal will be unlikely and there is too much opposition in Parliament to a hard form of Brexit. That will trigger calls for an election or change in government.

But does parliament's view on a 'no deal' scenario make any difference? As I understand it the implications of A50 kick in and the EU treaties simply lapse after March 2019.
  • Options
    Richard_HRichard_H Posts: 48
    edited August 2017
    Reply to PeterC
    But does parliament's view on a 'no deal' scenario make any difference? As I understand it the implications of A50 kick in and the EU treaties simply lapse after March 2019.

Firstly the Government advised the Supreme court during the A.50 case that Parliament would be fully involved and would have a vote on any deal.

Secondly Government told Parliament that they would have a vote on Brexit.

Thirdly, if Government attempted to simply let Brexit happen without any deal and ignored Parliament, then i would expect a vote of no confidence. And there might also be a number of court applications made, which would put the A.50 period on hold.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,472
    FPT
    https://twitter.com/AnneRiceAuthor/status/898343712723410944
    Have just made my first ever tweets in response to this - although I've been on Twitter for years, I've always been silent and just followed key things I thought might be interesting (e.g. the DfE).

The simple point is that unfortunately however well meant this comment is, it is straightforwardly wrong (I can't answer for Clinton's comment she's 'never been' in such a church - not knowing how which churches she's been in). Liege has already been mentioned. However, almost all medieval churches in England at least had images of the Devil in them - these might be statues, or carvings. They were by the door, and reminded people as they left that they were heading back into the World, where temptation and evil lurked for them.

Many were destroyed in the Reformation of course by iconoclasts, and many more by the Victorians with their penchant for ripping things down and rebuilding in their own image (plain and boring on the outside, remarkable things going on underneath). However, there are survivors. Go to Dursley Church in Gloucestershire and you will see the head of Satan above and slightly to the left of the south door. It survived I think because it was too high up to hit with a hammer and Dursley, as the seat of the Archdeacon of Gloucester, was better protected than many others.

This cuts both ways, of course. It could show that we've always had contempt for the iconography/statuary of the past. Which is true, and therefore takes the sting out of the current debate. Or it could show that when you've destroyed such things, you forget what they were.

As an aside, while I was there we had this sort of thing going on in Bristol, over Sir Edward Colston (a slave trader) and his enormous statue. I thought the most sensible comment came from a descendant of some of his victims, who said that if the statue were torn down it would be almost hiding Bristol's past, rather than explaining it. He was firmly against removing the statue. Admittedly, since then things have moved on and Colston Hall is now going to be renamed under pressure from campaigners, and maybe one of the schools named after him will follow suit. But it still seems more sensible than either the 'hang on to them because they were decent people' or 'tear them down because their views were not ours' that America is polarising into at the moment.

As an aside, perhaps it would be more useful if campaigners instead focussed on demolishing the White House, which was built with slave labour. If Trump were inside it at the time, that would solve two problems at once!
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Richard_H said:

Reply to PeterC

Firstly the Government advised the Supreme court during the A.50 case that Parliament would be fully involved and would have a vote on any deal.

Thirdly, if Government attempted to simply let Brexit happen without any deal and ignored Parliament, then i would expect a vote of no confidence. And there might also be a number of court applications made, which would put the A.50 period on hold.

1) If there is no deal, surely that invalidates this clause?

2) They've already had one.

3) Legal action would not, so far as I can see, stop A50. It would need the consent of all the other states in the EU to do so, anyway. Otherwise, we could be kept in the EU indefinitely just by launching consecutive legal challenges, which is obviously not what was the intention.

The whole situation is ridiculous, and I imagine that A50 will be radically altered at the next change of EU Treaties so it reflects reality rather than the muddled and never particularly sharp mind of Giscard. Unfortunately, we are where we are.

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that our best hope is for the EU to impose an unofficial customs union by saying that there is no requirement for border checks and therefore we maintain a porous border by default. However, I am also thinking that while the Irish would follow that recommendation, the French wouldn't.

EDIT - that was not a great advert for blockquote.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,806
    ydoethur said:

FPT
    Have just made my first ever tweets in response to this - although I've been on Twitter for years, I've always been silent and just followed key things I thought might be interesting (e.g. the DfE).

The simple point is that unfortunately however well meant this comment is, it is straightforwardly wrong (I can't answer for Clinton's comment she's 'never been' in such a church - not knowing how which churches she's been in). Liege has already been mentioned. However, almost all medieval churches in England at least had images of the Devil in them - these might be statues, or carvings. They were by the door, and reminded people as they left that they were heading back into the World, where temptation and evil lurked for them.

Many were destroyed in the Reformation of course by iconoclasts, and many more by the Victorians with their penchant for ripping things down and rebuilding in their own image (plain and boring on the outside, remarkable things going on underneath). However, there are survivors. Go to Dursley Church in Gloucestershire and you will see the head of Satan above and slightly to the left of the south door. It survived I think because it was too high up to hit with a hammer and Dursley, as the seat of the Archdeacon of Gloucester, was better protected than many others.

This cuts both ways, of course. It could show that we've always had contempt for the iconography/statuary of the past. Which is true, and therefore takes the sting out of the current debate. Or it could show that when you've destroyed such things, you forget what they were.

As an aside, while I was there we had this sort of thing going on in Bristol, over Sir Edward Colston (a slave trader) and his enormous statue. I thought the most sensible comment came from a descendant of some of his victims, who said that if the statue were torn down it would be almost hiding Bristol's past, rather than explaining it. He was firmly against removing the statue. Admittedly, since then things have moved on and Colston Hall is now going to be renamed under pressure from campaigners, and maybe one of the schools named after him will follow suit. But it still seems more sensible than either the 'hang on to them because they were decent people' or 'tear them down because their views were not ours' that America is polarising into at the moment. [snip]

Interesting post. I have lost the thread of this discussion, but wouldn't statues of the Devil placed as a warning be conceptually different from statues erected to celebrate people that are now despised?.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    FF43 said:

Interesting post. I have lost the thread of this discussion, but wouldn't statues of the Devil placed as a warning be conceptually different from statues erected to celebrate people that are now despised?.

That is also a very good point. And of course they were smashed not because Puritans were opposed to devil worship (although of course they were!) but because they disapproved of images in churches.

However, the fact is that they are there. The suggestion was that they are not. It depends, I suppose, on how you look at them and what they represent to you. Lucifer's statues could also be taken, in a secular context, to represent the clash between good and evil. Confederate statues seem to raise much stronger passions.
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, wrong way around. Passions are raised. The statues are an outlet for that.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    ydoethur said:

FPT

[snip]

As an aside, while I was there we had this sort of thing going on in Bristol, over Sir Edward Colston (a slave trader) and his enormous statue. I thought the most sensible comment came from a descendant of some of his victims, who said that if the statue were torn down it would be almost hiding Bristol's past, rather than explaining it. He was firmly against removing the statue. Admittedly, since then things have moved on and Colston Hall is now going to be renamed under pressure from campaigners, and maybe one of the schools named after him will follow suit. But it still seems more sensible than either the 'hang on to them because they were decent people' or 'tear them down because their views were not ours' that America is polarising into at the moment.

As an aside, perhaps it would be more useful if campaigners instead focussed on demolishing the White House, which was built with slave labour. If Trump were inside it at the time, that would solve two problems at once!

Was it ok for Eastern European countries to tear down statues of Lenin after the fall of the Berlin Wall? After all, that was part of their history. I think it was: what those statues symbolised needed to be defeated in the present.

The confederacy statues symbolise different things to different people. Why they are falling now is because some of those defending them - the noisiest part, actually - are choosing to let them symbolise the same thing that those who oppose them see them as symbolising, meaning that battle needs to be refought in the present.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Was it ok for Eastern European countries to tear down statues of Lenin after the fall of the Berlin Wall? After all, that was part of their history. I think it was: what those statues symbolised needed to be defeated in the present.

The confederacy statues symbolise different things to different people. Why they are falling now is because some of those defending them - the noisiest part, actually - are choosing to let them symbolise the same thing that those who oppose them see them as symbolising, meaning that battle needs to be refought in the present.

Or the Irish to remove statues of Queen Victoria in Dublin in 1947, indeed.

The key difference with those, to my mind at least, is that they were erected by outside people who were oppressing the local inhabitants as part of that oppression, and were removed as a sign that oppression was over. I can't quite see the same thing about people who died 150 years ago whose statues are being removed by their descendants as much as their victims. Arguably, for that to be true it should have been done in the 1960s (that is not to suggest that life has been sweetness and roses for African Americans since then, or that racism and discrimination was not and still is a fact of life for many of them - just a sign that that is when, in effect, it went from being legal to illegal).

Feel free to disagree, as it is quite a semantic point.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, tearing down statues when a regime falls is a different kettle of fish to waiting a century and a half and then deciding the statues are horrid.

Interesting comment on some on both sides of the argument (in the US) agreeing what the statues represent, though.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    edited August 2017

ydoethur said:

FPT

[snip]

As an aside, while I was there we had this sort of thing going on in Bristol, over Sir Edward Colston (a slave trader) and his enormous statue. I thought the most sensible comment came from a descendant of some of his victims, who said that if the statue were torn down it would be almost hiding Bristol's past, rather than explaining it. He was firmly against removing the statue. Admittedly, since then things have moved on and Colston Hall is now going to be renamed under pressure from campaigners, and maybe one of the schools named after him will follow suit. But it still seems more sensible than

A Marist poll last Thursday found 62% of Americans want to keep the statues of Confederate leaders in place as historical symbols including an overwhelming majority of Republicans, 44% of Democrats and perhaps surprisingly a plurality of African Americans. In fact liberals were far more anti keeping the statues on this poll than the African American community. 57% of US liberals wanted to take the statues down but only 40% of African Americans wanted them to be removed
    http://www.cnsnews.com/blog/craig-bannister/poll-62-americans-favor-keeping-confederate-statues
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Richard_H said:

The most important thing for us from the Article 50 talks is continuity, misnamed as transition or implementation. So that the basic things continue in the same way after we leave. Trade flows, planes fly, power stays switched on. While it seems obvious that these things will be agreed, they do have to be agreed. In fact this is so important that nothing else matters very much at this stage - payments, final deal etc. The "transition" is the last thing to be decided by Article 50.
  • Options
    On topic, a great interview Mike, hope we can see many more of them.

There's a few quid at 32 available on Betfair for Damian Green as next PM, or 22 for next Con leader.

One comparison I might make that wasn't made in the piece would be the unpopularity of the SNP for banging on about a second referendum, with the unpopularity of the LDs for also banging on about a second referendum. ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Richard_H said:

Reply to PeterC

PETERC replies:

I think the crux of the matter is that the default position is not REMAIN; inaction in the face of no deal seems to lead to a crash-out Brexit.

To stay in the EU would surely require parliament to pass legislation to revoke A50 and for the EU27 to agree to this. The same would apply to extending the A50 notification period beyond two years.

This may happen but would represent a total volte face in policy. Would there really be a majority for this?

If there is a deal then parliament will be given a vote, we are told. But I expect the choice to be to leave with the deal or to leave with no deal. A last minute decision to remain in the EU is a very remote prospect imo.
  • Options

Mr. Meeks, tearing down statues when a regime falls is a different kettle of fish to waiting a century and a half and then deciding the statues are horrid.

Interesting comment on some on both sides of the argument (in the US) agreeing what the statues represent, though.

My comment was why they were falling now, not so much whether I think it's a good thing.

As it happens, I swing back and forth on this subject. I'd be more comfortable with leaving them all up if there had not been such a concerted effort over many decades to airbrush some of the more difficult aspects of race relations in the south out of the history books. A few more statues to those on the other side of the divide would help to commemorate a different perspective on the past that needs to be heard more.
  • Options

My comment was why they were falling now, not so much whether I think it's a good thing.

As it happens, I swing back and forth on this subject. I'd be more comfortable with leaving them all up if there had not been such a concerted effort over many decades to airbrush some of the more difficult aspects of race relations in the south out of the history books. A few more statues to those on the other side of the divide would help to commemorate a different perspective on the past that needs to be heard more.
    A statue of Paul Robeson opposite every single one of Jefferson Davis would be especially apposite. Not only a civil rights activist but a Communist!

Perhaps a touch provocative but it would be funny to watch everyone tying themselves in knots over them.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

There's a few quid at 32 available on Betfair for Damian Green as next PM, or 22 for next Con leader.

One comparison I might make that wasn't made in the piece would be the unpopularity of the SNP for banging on about a second referendum, with the unpopularity of the LDs for also banging on about a second referendum. ;)

I would have thought the first is a better bet than the second. If the Conservatives don't replace Theresa May before they are removed from power, they are likely to pick a completely fresh face in opposition rather than a safe pair of hands. If I'm right, these two bets effectively represent the same thing.
  • Options
    Correction. Responded to wrong comment. Should be this one.
    Richard_H said:

The most important thing for us from the Article 50 talks is continuity, misnamed as transition or implementation. So that the basic things continue in the same way after we leave. Trade flows, planes fly, power stays switched on. While it seems obvious that these things will be agreed, they do have to be agreed. In fact this is so important that nothing else matters very much at this stage - payments, final deal etc. The "transition" is the last thing to be decided by Article 50.

• Options

I note the American left's exclusive focus on Confederate generals. The Custer Equestrian Monument is a great deal more famous than anything in Charlottesville, and Custer is most famous for his part in the 150 year long campaign of theft and genocide against native Americans laughingly called the American Indian wars. But I assume that's ok because he fought for the Union, and native Americans don't really count, like Jews with the Labour party.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

FPT

[snip]

A Marist poll last Thursday found 62% of Americans want to keep the statues of Confederate leaders in place as historical symbols including an overwhelming majority of Republicans, 44% of Democrats and perhaps surprisingly a plurality of African Americans. In fact liberals were far more anti keeping the statues on this poll than the African American community. 57% of US liberals wanted to take the statues down but only 40% of African Americans wanted them to be removed
    http://www.cnsnews.com/blog/craig-bannister/poll-62-americans-favor-keeping-confederate-statues
    Indeed. As I've been saying all week on this the debate has been heard through only the loudest and most extreme voices on either side. Those 'liberals' arguing for the removal of statues are the same people trying to shut down debates on college campuses, who think that any views that don't corform to their own should be banned.

It's unfortunate that those opposed to that view are being highjacked by right-wing extremists (KKK, those waving Swastikas) and have allowed the liberal media to describe everyone opposed to removing statues as "Nazis". There's a big freedom of speech rally in Boston today, both sets of morons are expected to turn up again to hijack the event for their own purposes. It will be interesting to see what happens. As @Alice_Aforethought suggested last week, maybe we should make sure both sides have a good supply of weapons, then stand back and sell tickets to watch Civil War II.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

I would have thought the first is a better bet than the second. If the Conservatives don't replace Theresa May before they are removed from power, they are likely to pick a completely fresh face in opposition rather than a safe pair of hands. If I'm right, these two bets effectively represent the same thing.
    I would have thought they would look for someone younger too - if the next election is in 2019/2020 Green will be around 64 and be 69 by the time of a following election. I know Corbyn, Trump, Clinton have rewritten the rules but even so that strikes me as an issue.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Sandpit said:

Yes, agreed. Thinking back to the 2005 Con leadership election, it would almost certainly have gone the other way if the party were in power and the new leader would immediately become PM. In fact it's unlikely Cameron would even have made the final ballot of members. Mike also makes the former general point in the video.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,753
    d_d said:

Welcome to PB Mr Davis. How are the Brexit negotiations going?

Or perhaps you are a different DD?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

FPT

[snip]

A Marist poll last Thursday found 62% of Americans want to keep the statues of African Americans wanted them to be removed
    Indeed. As I've been saying all week on this the debate has been heard through only the loudest and most extreme voices on either side. Those 'liberals' arguing for the removal of statues are the same people trying to shut down debates on college campuses, who think that any views that don't corform to their own should be banned.

It's unfortunate that those opposed to that view are being highjacked by right-wing extremists (KKK, those waving Swastikas) and have allowed the liberal media to describe everyone opposed to removing statues as "Nazis". There's a big freedom of speech rally in Boston today, both sets of morons are expected to turn up again to hijack the event for their own purposes. It will be interesting to see what happens. As @Alice_Aforethought suggested last week, maybe we should make sure both sides have a good supply of weapons, then stand back and sell tickets to watch Civil War II.
    Indeed, most Americans have almost as much contempt for PC leftist ideologues as they do for far right Neo Nazis, Trump blaming 'both sides' for violence was more in tune with the average American than the US media would like to admit
  • Options
    F1: Perez apparently close to signing for Force India. Makes sense, but perhaps also suggests Raikkonen will stay at Ferrari.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

I would have thought they would look for someone younger too - if the next election is in 2019/2020 Green will be around 64 and be 69 by the time of a following election. I know Corbyn, Trump, Clinton have rewritten the rules but even so that strikes me as an issue.
    I agree that boldness is what is needed here. But to get the rising generation into full view requires a radical reshuffle now with the intention of a leadership election immediately post-Brexit. But does Mrs May have the authority or even the inclination to do this?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,314

Are any of the staues in question 150 years old (insofar as any commemorative Confederate statues were raised immediately after the war)? I gather most of them seem to have been put up in the 1920s.
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, that still makes them 90-100 years old, though.
  • Options
    In shock news, the Finland terror attack was a terror attack:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40985528
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,372

In general I'm dubious about tearing down statues, as they reflect history and are interesting per se (unless nobody knows who the hell they were, as is surely the case with some of the London statues to obscure past figures); also, there is an element of victors rubbing in their success - if Britain was occupied by a foreign power who blew up Nelson's column, we'd feel it added insult to injury. The substantial minorities in Eatern Europe who supported the past regimes (judging by later democratic elections) presumably felt the same.

The problem is if the statues symbolise an ongoing issue. If I were African-American I think I'd feel this is all symbolism, and what about tackling the real problems of my community? But if they become a rallying point for Nazis then I'm afraid they do need to come down.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

F1: Perez apparently close to signing for Force India. Makes sense, but perhaps also suggests Raikkonen will stay at Ferrari.

Surely Perez is already signed to Force India? I swear I've seen him driving around and crashing a pink car for the last few months!

Raikkonnen is the key that unlocks the driver market, if he stays at Ferrari for 2018 then not much happens elsewhere. The rumour is that Vettel has it in his contract that he gets a veto of team mate, so don't expect Hamilton or Ricciardo in the red cars any time soon.

It also appears that F1 people are slowly returning from holiday, some have been doing some reading...
    https://twitter.com/MBrundleF1/status/897801462578860032
    This is a really good doc, it's got all the changes from the 2016 version highlighted! Well worth a read for every F1 fan.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793

Mr. Divvie, that still makes them 90-100 years old, though.

Most are around 100 years old - so coincide with the Jim Crow laws - and some are a lot more recent than that:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/16/confederate-monuments-civil-war-history-trump

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2017/08/the-real-story-of-all-those-confederate-statues/

Yes, these monuments were put up to honor Confederate leaders and soldiers. But the timing of the monument building makes it pretty clear what the real motivation was: to physically symbolize white terror against blacks. They were mostly built during times when Southern whites were engaged in vicious campaigns of subjugation against blacks, and during those campaigns the message sent by a statue of Robert E. Lee in front of a courthouse was loud and clear.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,037

Are any of the staues in question 150 years old (insofar as any commemorative Confederate statues were raised immediately after the war)? I gather most of them seem to have been put up in the 1920s.
    They even paid for the Jefferson Davis Highway to spread his name across parts of the South that were never Confederate. See https://twitter.com/heroinebook/status/898295767642759169
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, Bottas is a potential mover, but I suspect he'll get a three year deal now.

Ferrari also like a number one driver approach so I doubt they'd go for two top dogs anyway.

Those technical directives do sound tremendously exciting :p
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

In general I'm dubious about tearing down statues, as they reflect history and are interesting per se (unless nobody knows who the hell they were, as is surely the case with some of the London statues to obscure past figures); also, there is an element of victors rubbing in their success - if Britain was occupied by a foreign power who blew up Nelson's column, we'd feel it added insult to injury. The substantial minorities in Eatern Europe who supported the past regimes (judging by later democratic elections) presumably felt the same.

The problem is if the statues symbolise an ongoing issue. If I were African-American I think I'd feel this is all symbolism, and what about tackling the real problems of my community? But if they become a rallying point for Nazis then I'm afraid they do need to come down.
    I think that even most Eastern Europeans who were sympathetic to communism detested the fact that they were living in occupied countries, so would have raised little objection to removing statues of Lenin.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    edited August 2017

I notice another Moroccan. But lots of whites do crime*

*trademark - j. Corbyn 2017
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,456

Finland opposed the Iraq invasion and iirc has had nothing to do with Syria, Iran etc etc.
  • Options
    Mr. Borough, next you'll be suggesting there's no reasoning behind these attacks other than demented zealotry.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    edited August 2017

Finland opposed the Iraq invasion and iirc has had nothing to do with Syria, Iran etc etc.
    The westerners foreign policy are to blame excuses by your corbyns of this world have been debunked for longer than trump have been spreading his false persching story.

CNN had a good conspiracy theory going yesterday... Barcelona was caused by Charlottesville.
  • Options

The Eastern European countries were occupied by the USSR until the fall of Communism. There were no occupiers that blew up the Communist statues, they were removed by entirely local initiative, and so I can't work out what you are getting at with your comments about Nelson's Column.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,372
    Sean_F said:

I think that even most Eastern Europeans who were sympathetic to communism detested the fact that they were living in occupied countries, so would have raised little objection to removing statues of Lenin.

Yes, might be true - it'd be interesting to see some polling there. Anecdotally I think there were a fair number who didn't feel occupied but simply part of an alliance in the cold war: for the older generation other than in Germany itself, by 1945 the Soviets were liberators more than occupiers.
  • Options

Bloke who commissioned the Charlottesville statue (in 1919-24) :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Goodloe_McIntire

Historical account of his motives https://npgallery.nps.gov/pdfhost/docs/NRHP/Text/64500682.pdf

It seems to have been his starting point that Charlottesville simply needed more statues. One can't rule out that this was a cover for racism, but there is nothing to suggest that.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Another spike in the 60s.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,863
    ydoethur said:

FPT

The simple point is that unfortunately however well meant this comment is, it is straightforwardly wrong...

As an aside, while I was there we had this sort of thing going on in Bristol, over Sir Edward Colston (a slave trader) and his enormous statue. I thought the most sensible comment came from a descendant of some of his victims, who said that if the statue were torn down it would be almost hiding Bristol's past, rather than explaining it. He was firmly against removing the statue. Admittedly, since then things have moved on and Colston Hall is now going to be renamed under pressure from campaigners, and maybe one of the schools named after him will follow suit. But it still seems more sensible than either the 'hang on to them because they were decent people' or 'tear them down because their views were not ours' that America is polarising into at the moment....

Most of that I quite agree with (and your rebuttal of the rather silly devil comparison is well done) - but I really don't think the argument is just 'tear them down because their views were not ours...' The controversy over the Confederate statues has always been about their symbolism, not the individuals.
    While it's fair to say there has been debate over Lee's individual character, that has been in response to his defenders, and not the motivation for the statue removal.

It's also fair to point out that Charlottesville isn't tearing down the statue - it is removing it for sale. And to underline my point about symbolism, the mayor of the city has changed his mind in favour of removal for precisely that reason:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/08/charlottesville-mayors-remarks-regarding-the-robert-e-lee-statue/537366/
  • Options
    Via Twitter, so not confirmed yet properly, but there are reports of a knife attack in Russia. No word yet on whether the perpetrator advocates low levels of taxation, so we await Leanne Woods' wisdom on the matter.
  • Options

Mr. Borough, next you'll be suggesting there's no reasoning behind these attacks other than demented zealotry.

Indeed. They hate us and hate our way of life. English, Spanish, Finns - these brainwashed people don't care.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Of course the irony in all of this is that it is clear from his letters that Robert E. Lee didn't think there should be monuments erected to the civil war.

http://leefamilyarchive.org/9-family-papers/861-robert-e-lee-to-david-mcconaughy-1869-august-5
  • Options
    Alistair said:

And some more recent, notably this one...

https://patch.com/tennessee/green-hills/oak-hill-mayor-asks-governor-block-infamous-nathan-bedford-forrest-statue
  • Options
    As a side note about statues. Mrs Sandpit is Ukrainian, and for the last few years we've taken summer holidays there. After the Russian invasion of parts of Ukraine in 2014, a number of old Soviet-era statues such as Lenin have been removed from all over Ukraine in the last couple of years, as the country tries to assert its own national identity.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Yes, might be true - it'd be interesting to see some polling there. Anecdotally I think there were a fair number who didn't feel occupied but simply part of an alliance in the cold war: for the older generation other than in Germany itself, by 1945 the Soviets were liberators more than occupiers.
    Though when I went to the Museum of Occupation in Riga, the perspective was very much that the Soviets were occupiers and the Germans were liberators.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    He's not "Trying to bypass Scots and Welsh" at all. International treaties are matters reserved to the British government.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,162
    Sandpit said:

He's not "Trying to bypass Scots and Welsh" at all. International treaties are matters reserved to the British government.
    And if an international treaty impacts on a devolved matter?
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, interesting note on Ukraine.
  • Options
    Brexit Britain and Trump America: A New ‘Special Relationship’?

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/brexit-britain-trump-america-new-‘special-relationship’-21911

Trump and May appear to have started off well in a long-term partnership, given that they are both struggling to deal with domestic problems and shaky international reputations. Their suspicions of modern globalization, in particular towards free trade and immigration, will cement their personal bond.
  • Options
    "Enough of blaming the West. Isil has attacked 30 different countries, and the vast majority of its victims in Iraq, Syria, Turkey, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Bangladesh and elsewhere are Muslims. Isil and other extremists thrive on the justification that it is religiously obligatory to create a caliphate."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/18/enough-blaming-west-terror-will-continue-muslims-reject-need/
  • Options

"Enough of blaming the West. Isil has attacked 30 different countries, and the vast majority of its victims in Iraq, Syria, Turkey, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Bangladesh and elsewhere are Muslims. Isil and other extremists thrive on the justification that it is religiously obligatory to create a caliphate."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/18/enough-blaming-west-terror-will-continue-muslims-reject-need/

They would say wrong kind of Muslims...
  • Options
    When we leave the EU, we should start putting up across the country statues of Ted Heath, Jacques Delors, Jean-Claude Juncker, Konrad Adenauer, et al.
  • Options

When we leave the EU, we should start putting up across the country statues of Ted Heath, Jacques Delors, Jean-Claude Juncker, Konrad Adenauer, et al.

Surprised junker hasn't demanded statues of himself to be erected in every EU capital city.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

And if an international treaty impacts on a devolved matter?
    Then the devolved governments can decide how they wish to legislate within the new treaty framework.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

https://patch.com/tennessee/green-hills/oak-hill-mayor-asks-governor-block-infamous-nathan-bedford-forrest-statue
    I assume we can be fairly certain about the motives of the sponsor of that statue.

'The statue was built by the late Jack Kershaw, a lawyer, who among other things, defended Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassin James Earl Ray'
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,867
    Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

That's got to be a contender for worst statue ever on so many levels!
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

I assume we can be fairly certain about the motives of the sponsor of that statue.

'The statue was built by the late Jack Kershaw, a lawyer, who among other things, defended Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassin James Earl Ray'
    How can you question the motives of a member of The White Citizens' Council and that other segregationist organisation The League of The South?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

Also a clue in the flags http://www.tnguy.com/files/11031_1.jpg
  • Options

Wouldn't they become targets?
  • Options

Surprised junker hasn't demanded statues of himself to be erected in every EU capital city.
    That would be somewhat redundant given the numerous representations of Bacchus extant....
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Russia, Finland, Spain.

It is just as likely this cluster is only halfway through, not over. Spain & Finland are likely to have had some kind of cell control. Russia unclear. That control extends to a number of UK & EU based cells. Only a handful that went through the hands of the Libyan branch of IS have turned up in attacks or been put in jail. Then there is the individuals that went through the Syrian based training schools to co-ordinate and lead attacks.

For anyone still left with some doubts and somehow excusing of these guys or trying to 'understand' their motivation, its been picked up via big ears that planting explosives on Christmas trees might be worth trying later this year. Thats what you are dealing with.

No more understanding of motivation is needed, its understood, its now how to combat it.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Russia, Finland, Spain.

It is just as likely this cluster is only halfway through, not over. Spain & Finland are likely to have had some kind of cell control. Russia unclear. That control extends to a number of UK & EU based cells. Only a handful that went through the hands of the Libyan branch of IS have turned up in attacks or been put in jail. Then there is the individuals that went through the Syrian based training schools to co-ordinate and lead attacks.

For anyone still left with some doubts and somehow excusing of these guys or trying to 'understand' their motivation, its been picked up via big ears that planting explosives on Christmas trees might be worth trying later this year. Thats what you are dealing with.

No more understanding of motivation is needed, its understood, its now how to combat it.

See the article I linked to earlier (paywall sadly). The dream of a caliphate is part of the problem.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Seems like that outbreak of mental illness just keeps on growing......
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

And 25ft high, so probably much more costly than it appears.
  • Options
    Mr. Y0kel, I think few here would disagree with that, the problem is useful idiots, apologists and those shutting down sensible debate (as per Champion) in the media and political class.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

I think he'd want to erected in trendy winebars in places like Islington and Hackney - 'Queen Junk' anyone?
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Russia, Finland, Spain.

Half the time what is happening is spun as something else or downplayed and actually trying to talk about the problem can lead to bucket loads of abuse.

• Options

No, they would say they are not really muslims.
  • Options

Mr. Y0kel, I think few here would disagree with that, the problem is useful idiots, apologists and those shutting down sensible debate (as per Champion) in the media and political class.

Exactly Morris.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,078
    edited August 2017
    Floater said:

No, they would say they are not really muslims.
    Yes, it's amazing how many of their purported coreligionists are 'not proper' in their eyes, while still convinced they are right.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

It doesn't exactly have a majestic setting.

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/50487800.jpg
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

How can you question the motives of a member of The White Citizens' Council and that other segregationist organisation The League of The South?
    Wiki:

'Kershaw justified the memorial by saying, "Somebody needs to say a good word for slavery"'
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

It doesn't exactly have a majestic setting.

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/50487800.jpg
    It's hard to imagine the appropriate setting for such a statue. If it were at a less steep angle, it might fit in on a particularly ghoulish merry-go-round.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,899
    Morning all :)

Statues and symbols are just that, symbols. All the archive footage you see of liberated towns and cities in WW2 in Europe starts with swastikas and other symbols of German rule being destroyed followed by the collaborators being identified and dealt with variously.

As Britain has never endured foreign occupation in recent times, it may seem strange to us but then neither has the US. In WW1, shops with German names were attacked in many towns and cities across Britain - the name was forcibly removed and even our Royal Family had to de-Germanise their identity.

Internal civil conflicts are of course so much more intense - we manage to have statues of both Charles I and Cromwell but our civil war was different to the American experience and two hundred years earlier. I recall reading during the French Revolution the first thing the peasants did on seizing the houses of the aristocrats who basically owned them was to burn all the written records because, in their eyes, it freed them from their servitude.

Symbols, whether the power of the written word, religious in nature or a name above a shop, matter in times of crisis and catharsis. For many ordinary people, toppling a statue of the dictator is a personal statement of their desire to want rid and a way of exercising their new-found freedom in the absence of fear.

In modern times, you have draft cards, Poll Tax bills and even underwear - whatever the symbol of your actual or imagined oppression.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

Wiki:

'Kershaw justified the memorial by saying, "Somebody needs to say a good word for slavery"'
    Years ago, I read an article about some of the vilest lawyers in America during segregation/Jim Crow, he featured heavily.

John Malcolm Patterson was the AG of Alabama I think who used the death penalty against an African-American chap who stole some money from a white woman's unattended purse.

Went onto become Governor of Alabama, with the support of the KKK.

Interestingly he recanted his views and backed Barack Obama in 2008.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,867
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

If you buy one in Poundland, it would still be poor vfm. (Come to think of it, it's got a sort of Poundland look to it!)
This discussion has been closed.