Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How Brexit is blinding us resulting in other massive issues be

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

Scott_P said:
    I'll move to Epping and vote for HYUFD if he promises a worldwide ban on Twitter.
    Every day that passes, this quote becomes more precident.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=yELHemcQn10
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    Ishmael_Z said:

Cyclefree said:

Good article, thank you.

Of all the issues listed I think housing is the biggest domestic issue. Finding somewhere decent to live at a reasonable cost is becoming impossible in London and this is spreading elsewhere. It affects the future of our children and, for those with property already, our old age - if no-one can buy how much of a "pension" can that property be?

From purely anecdotal reports it is something which bothers my children and their friends and affects their decisions re careers etc. It is making them less than enamoured of the current economic/political settlement.

Britain needs to start building good quality homes and being more imaginative in the use it makes of existing space.

Off topic: a depressing sign of the times that another major terrorist attack gets barely a mention these days.

Finally re what Foxnsox said on the ladt thread: "If I were a regular Joe at such a rally, I would do a reverse ferret very quickly, just as I would if I were to be at anti-war rally if people started flying Hamas flags and making anti-semetic remarks." - absolutely right. By the company you keep you will be judged. But not all those who some seem to think are regular Joes or nice people, do do such reverse ferrets at such rallies. Some even choose to speak at them.

I am at a loss over your final paragraph. Who are we talking about? The original hypothesis was about genuine "regular Joes" presumably meaning innocent members of the 62% of the population who would like the statue kept, and had no other axe to grind. I agree that I personally would quietly remove my "keep the statue" badge and mingle with the crowd, but I would salso worry that that was moral cowardice on my part, and that the morally correct thing to do would be not to be put off by the presence of revolting neo-Nazis from saying my say. Are you saying that no one there at all was in fact a "regular Joe", or that being coincidentally on the same side of an argument as neo-Nazis is automatically equivalent to keeping company with them?
    I won't comment about who was in Chsrlottesville as I don' know enough. But there have been marches in the UK where Hamas flags were flown and anti-Semitic slogans shouted and those who speak at such rallies and don't speak against such vile behaviour are exhibiting the same sort of moral obtuseness and cowardice and, perhaps something even worse, that Trump is over US Nazis.

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

I'm starting to believe at least one Confederate statue should be kept: after all, some art transcends politics.

I'm putting forward this statue of Forrest in Nashville as being a superior art form representative of neo-Nazis everywhere:

http://images.gawker.com/1310553686853971558/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800.jpg
    http://images.gawker.com/1310553686994018150/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636.jpg

Is that horse being molested, off-screen, by a gay donkey?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,726
    edited August 2017
    Off topic. Well researched and interesting article on the effect the Russian invasion of the Ukraine had on the participants:

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-ukraine-gore-no-glory-for-war-veterans/28681378.html
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Off topic. Well researched and interesting article on the effect the Russian invasion of the Ukraine had on the participants:

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-ukraine-gore-no-glory-for-war-veterans/28681378.htm

If you've got time to edit that link, it needs an "l" on the end of html to work.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687

FPT:

GeoffM said:

619 said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

twitter.com/fahrenthold/status/898280607012212736

So virtue signalling is now more important than raising money to fight cancer.

Noted.
    You think they couldn't raise money anywhere else?
    I am sure they know they would lose more donors by associating with Trump.

Still, I expect he's pleased to know he still has a supportier in you!
    Bloody cancer charity do gooders.

They are still doing the fundraiser and are avoiding association with a crazy racist. Win win!
    Indeed! What's not to like? Unless you're GeoffM of course!
    I was making a serious and non-political point. I'm not sure if you missed it or deliberately chose to ignore it but I'll have one more go.

When a charity decides to go political, they face losing some donors and have to hope that they offset those by gaining others.

Consider the National Trust. They decided to rip up the written legacies of their benefactors over field sports rights on land left to them, for example. They lost some members over that (me, for example). Whether they gained any members on the flip-side is debatable. Similarly with me and the RSPCA on the same subject.

Going all SJW risks alienating some of your philanthropic base. By virtue signalling they are gambling with lifesaving levels of fund raising. That's all. It's not a political thing. Charities should stay out of politics.
    Geoff, your use of terms like 'virtue signalling' and 'SJW' marks you out as a reactionary raging against the tide of modern thinking.
    The "tide of modern thinking" includes the concept that universities shouldn't allow free speech on their campus.

This is the latest nonsense in this vein which rather proves the organisers' point:

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/facing-pushback-ryerson-cancels-panel-discussion-on-campus-free-speech/wcm/65986f6f-d393-4213-b10d-003e1c348c44
    No, it doesn't ThreeQuidder. You can find examples of stupidity and dubious decision-making wherever you look. Such examples do not define the tide of modern thinking, nor automatically deserve inclusion. The Free Speech Movement in Berkeley, California in the 60s demonstrates that free speech restrictions at universities are sadly nothing new.

You should take a look at the Richard Dawkins talk isam posted on the previous thread for a very interesting take on the the tide of modern thinking.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,703
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    I'll move to Epping and vote for HYUFD if he promises a worldwide ban on Twitter.
    Every day that passes, this quote becomes more precident.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=yELHemcQn10
    Talking of which, Mr Chapman appears to be enjoying a well deserved rest from Twitter....
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Just as well Corbyn hasn't condemned 'violence on both sides' recently then.....
    Don't forget according to Jezza, the Alt-White also does a lot of sex crime.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,995
    edited August 2017
    On topic: Spot on Alistair.

The main argument I made before the referendum took place was that a Leave result would take all the oxygen from political debate for years at the expense of the bigger issues you describe - and at the end of it all we shall be in basically the same position. Basically in the single market and custom union, paying our contributions but with no seat at the table making the rules.

What a total disaster. The best way to minimise the damage is for the Government to quickly agree to being in the single market and custom union and move on - or hold a second referendum. A minority won't like it - but they will be a minority and this is a democracy after all.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    edited August 2017

Housing is an enormous issue I agree, I wrote on here a few weeks back that the trigger to the crisis was Thatcher selling off council houses at huge discounts converting us all into property developers as opposed to homeowners.

And now the state sponsored property bubble is ironically pricing those who need it most out of the market. Housing benefit is a perfect example of inept govt, the rich get richer, the poor get poorer.

None of the above is remotely connected to Brexit.

Property development and BTL were a product of the Blair years. The two key triggers were:

1) Brown's tax increases on pensions shifting investment money into property
    2) Increased immigration creating a demand for rented housing
    Yes, but that was phase 2, RTB was the trigger. The irony is that Thatcher held herself up as a free marketeer but she massively distorted the market with 60% discounts.

Of course you're correct about immigration, property is about supply and demand, it really isn't rocket science. And in London where property prices are astronomical they continue to vote for more immigration, its bizarre.
    Economic demand for real estate is not the same as physical demand for accommodation. House prices have risen much faster than rents, in London as well as the rest of the country.
    Which figures. Rents are held down when house prices are rising because buying looks more attractive. If house prices fall, renting looks better so demand to rent increases; hence rents rise when house prices fall (or to be less prescriptive, perform relatively better - both could rise or fall but one could do so relatively more). Well, they did in the early 1990s anyway.
    In London both have soared simultaneously.
    Exactly. The soaring rents debate is about a local London problem. It demands a local London solution - if any action is appropriate.

Please leave the rest of us out it.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-ukraine-gore-no-glory-for-war-veterans/28681378.html

No problem about the link fix help; you're welcome.

As for the article, it was quite interesting for background flavour but I'm not sure what point it was trying to make.

Those people volunteered for militias and private armies in a messy proxy war of sovereignty and national pride that was largely kick-started by the EU. They weren't in an official national army. They can't seriously be expecting medals and a pension?

If you volunteer to go off and fight in a mercenary war then you have to accept that it's not state supported in the formal way. They knew what they were getting in to - or should have done.
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Epping Forest parliamentary constituency is solid blue but at local level the LDs hold 2/3 of the district seats in Epping Hemnall where I stood last night and the Greens have a councillor in Buckhurst Hill and Loughton is dominated by the Residents Association. In the last district election in Hemnall in 2016 the Tories got 34% last night we got 37% in the town council by election so I don't think it suggests much change nationally albeit the LDs campaigned hard on the local plan so expect local plans to figure heavily in next year's locals

I'm not too far from Epping and we have friends in the town so I have been there a good number of times. The High Street is deteriorating I think and like so many other areas the Police Station has gone (in East Ham it has been left vacant since it closed - there's another topic for discussion), the Sue Ryder charity shop went as I recall and while The George & Dragon is a nice gastropub, I much prefer the Zaikaa down the other end of the High Street - some of the best Indian food around.

Yes though Churches the butchers is still there and the Theydon Oak in Coopersale Street just outside Epping is excellent for Sunday lunch (and often frequented by Rod Stewart who lives nearby). I agree Zaikaa is produces some excellent Indian food and I often get takeaways from there
    Have enjoyed Sunday lunch in the Theydon Oak with Mrs Stodge (though no sign of Mr Stewart on that occasion). I always wondered how much time they spent cleaning all the ornaments. Zaikaa does a marvellous Sunday evening buffet-style offering (all you can eat but not in the buffet style). The aforementioned Mrs Stodge has visited Nostro's (I believe it's called) with her friend - mixed reviews. My fear is Epping will become like every other High Street with the same chains and places to eat - I'm sure it's something of which the Town Council is well aware.

Don't mention Coopersale or you'll get Sunil on here waxing lyrical about the Epping-Ongar railway.
    Epping is a delightful little (former) market town. It hasn't changed much in decades. I expect it will continue to thrive.

Am mildly surprised it is leftish, but I guess it depends where the boundaries are drawn.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    Tory leadership punters:

"Rudd seems to have formed a highly significant alliance with Davidson, whom she met privately in Glasgow recently. The Scottish Tory leader would probably back Rudd to also succeed May in Downing Street. (My sources tell me Davidson will not be running Jacob Rees-Mogg’s leadership campaign)."

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-theresa-may-immigration-leaving-her-isolated-a7896636.html
  • Options
    The broadcaster RTVE has published an image of the 18-year-old Las Ramblas suspect Moussa Oukabir.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    TOPPING said:

Re. House prices. The one thing any government serious about tackling the problem could do that would definitely help would be to introduce legislation requiring purchasers to prove a connection to the area in which they're buying property.

sort of like a ghetto, yes?
    Yes - and while we're on the subject, legislation requiring Channel 4 to take 'Location, Location, Location' off the air would be very welcome too.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    GeoffM said:

FF43 said:

No problem about the link fix help; you're welcome.

As for the article, it was quite interesting for background flavour but I'm not sure what point it was trying to make.

Those people volunteered for militias and private armies in a messy proxy war of sovereignty and national pride that was largely kick-started by the EU. They weren't in an official national army. They can't seriously be expecting medals and a pension?

If you volunteer to go off and fight in a mercenary war then you have to accept that it's not state supported in the formal way. They knew what they were getting in to - or should have done.
    Thanks. I don't think the article is making any particular point* - it's a human interest story. The participants clearly did expect medals and pensions.

* Except given the source, a generally anti-Putin editorial line.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

FPT:

GeoffM said:

619 said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

Noted.

They are still doing the fundraiser and are avoiding association with a crazy racist. Win win!
    I was making a serious and non-political point. I'm not sure if you missed it or deliberately chose to ignore it but I'll have one more go.

When a charity decides to go political, they face losing some donors and have to hope that they offset those by gaining others.

Consider the National Trust. They decided to rip up the written legacies of their benefactors over field sports rights on land left to them, for example. They lost some members over that (me, for example). Whether they gained any members on the flip-side is debatable. Similarly with me and the RSPCA on the same subject.

Going all SJW risks alienating some of your philanthropic base. By virtue signalling they are gambling with lifesaving levels of fund raising. That's all. It's not a political thing. Charities should stay out of politics.
    Geoff, your use of terms like 'virtue signalling' and 'SJW' marks you out as a reactionary raging against the tide of modern thinking.
    The "tide of modern thinking" includes the concept that universities shouldn't allow free speech on their campus.

This is the latest nonsense in this vein which rather proves the organisers' point:

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/facing-pushback-ryerson-cancels-panel-discussion-on-campus-free-speech/wcm/65986f6f-d393-4213-b10d-003e1c348c44
    No, it doesn't ThreeQuidder.
    Sure it does; it's been building since the "no platform policy" of the late 90s which not enough people resisted.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    On the UK housing market, this is an interesting article on some of the complexities:

https://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/comment/2017/07/16/blueprint-for-a-housing-shortage/

(It's pay-walled, but you can read a couple of articles for free).
  • Options
    What's happened to Chapman?

August is looking boring and quiet again.
  • Options

FPT:

GeoffM said:

619 said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

Noted.

Sure it does; it's been building since the "no platform policy" of the late 90s which not enough people resisted.
    I love the way you snip out the parts of my posts that you can't argue against! :smile:
  • Options

I think it was only us on PB and a few other politico-nerds that were noticing him anyway. Probably just as well, all things considered.
  • Options

I think it was only us on PB and a few other politico-nerds that were noticing him anyway. Probably just as well, all things considered.
    Us, and the front page of the Times.
  • Options

FPT:

GeoffM said:

619 said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

Noted.

I love the way you snip out the parts of my posts that you can't argue against! :smile:
    Can't be bothered, would be more accurate.
  • Options

Us, and the front page of the Times.
    Politico-nerds, yes. The Times, after all, is read by the people who run the country. :)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314

TOPPING said:

Re. House prices. The one thing any government serious about tackling the problem could do that would definitely help would be to introduce legislation requiring purchasers to prove a connection to the area in which they're buying property.

sort of like a ghetto, yes?
    Yes - and while we're on the subject, legislation requiring Channel 4 to take 'Location, Location, Location' off the air would be very welcome too.
    When I bought my first home in London the estate agent asked, when I told him how much I had to spend: "what's keeping you to that number, sir?"
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Allan said:

TOPPING said:

Just seen Leanne Wood's twitter on Barcelona.

Quite extraordinary.

LeanneWood‏Verified account @LeanneWood 15h15 hours ago

Ofnadwy / terrible. Is this more far right terrorism? My thoughts are with all those affected.
    She is of course as thick as they come.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited August 2017

"Nazi" Theresa has sent him to the frozen wastelands of the Russian front... ;)
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:
    I'll move too and vote for that policy.
    And canvass and leaflet too.
    Scott P will twee...........oh wait...
  • Options
    The Electoral Commission really needs to come out with proposals to do something about this local/national spend distinction. I'm not sure what, but the current system definitely isn't working.
  • Options
    Interesting - and mixed effects - of Sterling's fall - more foreigners are coming, but their spending is flat - and more Brits are going abroad - and their spending (in £) is well up:

Overseas residents made 3.5 million visits to the UK in June 2017; this has increased by 7% when compared with June 2016.

Overseas residents spent £2.2 billion on their visits to the UK in June 2017; this is an increase of 2% when compared with June 2016.

UK residents made 7.2 million visits abroad in June 2017; this has increased by 4% when compared with June 2016.

UK residents spent £4.6 billion on their visits abroad in June 2017, a 15% increase when compared with June 2016.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/leisureandtourism/bulletins/overseastravelandtourism/provisionalresultsforjune2017
  • Options
    Curious tweet doing the rounds - and being deleted - about the number of resignations Corbyn has had:

https://www.politwoops.co.uk/p/conservative/GregHands/898284242358095873
  • Options

FPT:

GeoffM said:

619 said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

Noted.

A bit like Ryerson University couldn't be bothered to hold that panel discussion on free speech? Irony upon irony :wink:
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

:lol:

Or his wife has finally wrestled the bloody mobile off him and chucked it in the sea.
  • Options

FPT:

GeoffM said:

619 said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Noted.

A bit like Ryerson University couldn't be bothered to hold that panel discussion on free speech?
    No, they actively killed it, thus proving the organisers' point. There is no free speech in our universities any more.
  • Options

Curious tweet doing the rounds - and being deleted - about the number of resignations Corbyn has had:

Most curious is why the deletion? It hardly seems in the 'Nazi May' category of crassness.
  • Options

Most curious is why the deletion? It hardly seems in the 'Nazi May' category of crassness.
    Is it accurate?

This is the original source:

https://twitter.com/RedHotSquirrel/status/898433244344889345

I wonder if there's a degree of 'sleight of hand' - everyone 'resigning' on the dissolution? Surely Corbyn hasn't been that bad?
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited August 2017

Liberal Democrat HOLD Southcourt, Aylesbury Vale District Council.

LDEM: 37.3% (+8.4)
    CON: 31.5% (+9.6)
    LAB: 22.1% (-0.5)
    GRN: 4.7% (-0.9)
    UKIP: 4.4% (-16.5)

Conservative HOLD Riverside, Aylesbury Vale District Council.

CON: 34.7% (+3.7)
    LDEM: 32.9% (+17.4)
    LAB: 24.2% (+6.5)
    UKIP: 5.5% (-30.3)
    GRN: 2.6% (+2.6)

Conservative HOLD St Mary's, Forest Heath District Council.

CON: 50.1% (+10.7)
    LAB: 40.9% (+8.8)
    GRN: 8.9% (+8.9)

*UKIP: (-28.4)
    Didn't stand

Labour HOLD Park (Peterborough) result:

LAB: 49.6% (-0.7)
    CON: 39.8% (+4.5)
    UKIP: 5.1% (-2.9)
    LDEM: 3.2% (+0.9)
    GRN: 2.4% (-1.8)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

It was reported that Mensch had two sources having him as a Putin plant......
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    What's that you say, someone trying to associate ISIS with hard right politics? Hold my beer.

https://twitter.com/BenGoldsmith/status/898435471696510977

• Options

FPT:

GeoffM said:

619 said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Noted.

A bit like Ryerson University couldn't be bothered to hold that panel discussion on free speech?
    No, they actively killed it, thus proving the organisers' point. There is no free speech in our universities any more.
    Well if that's your opinion, I respect your right to hold it and state it.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    On topic, I don't agree. Brexit is basically the only thing that matters in British politics right now. The reason is that there's room for a wide variety of plausible outcomes. Depending how it's played it could end up with anything: A huge car crash, a long-term free-trading settlement, a long-term protectionist settlement, more-or-less the status quo only with less voting rights, or cancelling the whole thing. In theory these positions are reversable, but in practice once they become entrenched they'll be very hard to shift.

This is different to most of the other issues which may be important but either aren't much to do with Britain - like whether Trump and Kim Jong Un blow up the world - or are already in a stable political configuration that prevents much change, like whether Britain is going to fix its housing problems by repealing the planning laws. (It's not.)
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Probably once a Tory MP retweeted it, a panicked CCHQ researcher spent two hours trying and failing to stand the number up.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited August 2017
    Off Topic:

It really does look as if SeanT has left PB.com and probably for good this time. It's really much easier as I have found myself with so many of the better posters having also left since the GE. Shame really, PB was always entertaining, but I suspect that it's had its day.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003

Liberal Democrat HOLD Southcourt, Aylesbury Vale District Council.

LDEM: 37.3% (+8.4)
    CON: 31.5% (+9.6)
    LAB: 22.1% (-0.5)
    GRN: 4.7% (-0.9)
    UKIP: 4.4% (-16.5)

Conservative HOLD Riverside, Aylesbury Vale District Council.

CON: 34.7% (+3.7)
    LDEM: 32.9% (+17.4)
    LAB: 24.2% (+6.5)
    UKIP: 5.5% (-30.3)
    GRN: 2.6% (+2.6)

Conservative HOLD St Mary's, Forest Heath District Council.

CON: 50.1% (+10.7)
    LAB: 40.9% (+8.8)
    GRN: 8.9% (+8.9)

*UKIP: (-28.4)
    Didn't stand

Labour HOLD Park (Peterborough) result:

LAB: 49.6% (-0.7)
    CON: 39.8% (+4.5)
    UKIP: 5.1% (-2.9)
    LDEM: 3.2% (+0.9)
    GRN: 2.4% (-1.8)

Kippers an endangered species!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Off Topic:

It really does look as if SeanT has left PB.com and probably for good this time.

Some of his tweets of late have been tending toward the Chapmanesque
  • Options
    Apols if posted before:

Corbyn still more popular than May but his ratings fall

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/08/17/jeremy-corbyn-remains-more-popular-theresa-may/
  • Options
    AllanAllan Posts: 262

Hints that his family may have intervened.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

Is it accurate?

I wonder if there's a degree of 'sleight of hand' - everyone 'resigning' on the dissolution? Surely Corbyn hasn't been that bad?
    Just a quick head count on the wiki page puts a total number of changes at between 50 and 60 and that would conflate resignations, retirements and sackings.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited August 2017
    test
  • Options

Off Topic:

It really does look as if SeanT has left PB.com and probably for good this time. It's really much easier as I have found myself with so many of the better posters having also left since the GE. Shame really, PB was always entertaining, but I suspect that it's had its day.

Thanks for that valuable contribution to the site.

A bit like a "Please do not throw stones at this sign" sign.
  • Options
    I've counted 33 resignations from the same source, unless I'm missing something.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,979
    edited August 2017
    Here is an interesting story re London. Head of regeneration of Redcar steelworks site to be based in London "with occasional trips to the Tees Valley."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-40972859?SThisFB

tbh , can see the case for need to liaise with Ministers, but don't they have e-mail and Skype? How about the need to liaise with local residents and businesses?

Doubtless the salary includes London weighting.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Interesting article on why the fact that GoDaddy has pulled/dropped the Neo-Nazi website might turn out to be a bad thing in the long run:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2017/08/the_one_big_problem_with_godaddy_dropping_the_daily_stormer.html

The key distinction:

"if Facebook or Twitter bans a group, it can still take its message to any number of other social networks, or start its own. When domain registrars blacklist it, they effectively banish it from the public internet.

It’s a far blunter instrument, wielded by a company with no experience or expertise in passing editorial judgments, and little track record of public accountability for its actions."
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Is it accurate?

Just a quick head count on the wiki page puts a total number of changes at between 50 and 60 and that would conflate resignations, retirements and sackings.
    So you would have to chuck in 'dissolution resignations' to get to 95......hardly Corbyn's doing! 50-60 is bad enough!
  • Options

Off Topic:

I blame it on Brexit....
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Off Topic:

Maybe, but it needed to be said.
  • Options

Is it accurate?

So you would have to chuck in 'dissolution resignations' to get to 95......hardly Corbyn's doing! 50-60 is bad enough!
    yeah, that would make some sense - that said, those unwilling to stand again for election under him should probably be counted in some way.
  • Options
    ... if only to say "here's what you could have won"
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Probably once a Tory MP retweeted it, a panicked CCHQ researcher spent two hours trying and failing to stand the number up.
    The gov.uk list of ministers by department has 102 entries, so Corbyn's not even lost a full slate of shadows!
    (Yes, some ministers have more than one job, and a number sit in the Lords rather than the Commons)
    https://www.gov.uk/government/ministers
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Off Topic:

Maybe, but it needed to be said.
    Well either

a) leave also; or
    b) up your game.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Off Topic:

There is still some good stuff even though it is August and everyone is on holiday. Speaking as a punter who is not an activist, does not use twitter and who could not point to Charlottesville on a map, I shall miss SeanT's insights into fine wines and exotic resorts: how the other half lives after leaving Downing Street so does not have to pretend to fly to Cornwall on Easyjet.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. Putney, these things do move in cycles. After the last few years of multiple elections and a referendum, a quieter period is to be expected.

That said, it'd be good if some older posters who were banned could perhaps have that exile lifted...
  • Options

Off Topic:

There is still some good stuff even though it is August and everyone is on holiday. Speaking as a punter who is not an activist, does not use twitter and who could not point to Charlottesville on a map, I shall miss SeanT's insights into fine wines and exotic resorts: how the other half lives after leaving Downing Street so does not have to pretend to fly to Cornwall on Easyjet.
    Do we know SeanT has left? Maybe just busy on that third draft of the latest money-spinning thriller.
  • Options

Off Topic:

Do we know SeanT has left? Maybe just busy on that third draft of the latest money-spinning thriller.
    He came in, made incorrect claims about a car crash and then pronounced he had enough and flounced.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

The third draft is done, allegedly
  • Options

The Electoral Commission really needs to come out with proposals to do something about this local/national spend distinction. I'm not sure what, but the current system definitely isn't working.
    Yes, all parties got maximum fines for the 2015 election, the police investigated a number of cases and there's one prosecution still outstanding for breach of local spending limits. It's clear the current system of rules and punishments doesn't work, it would be a good use of the Commission's time to draft a new set of rules with the intention of getting a cross party consensus in the next couple of years.

Parliament is going to be pretty quiet for the next year or so, as most of the government's efforts are going towards the Brexit negotiations - it's not a bad time to think of a list of things where there is general agreement for changes that could either be brought forward, or that independent working groups could start discussing. Planning and social care are the two obvious ones, but there will be plenty more.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Housing is an enormous issue I agree, I wrote on here a few weeks back that the trigger to the crisis was Thatcher selling off council houses at huge discounts converting us..cut...None of the above is remotely connected to Brexit.

Property development and BTL were a product of the Blair years. The two key triggers were:
    1) Brown's tax increases on pensions shifting investment money into property
    2) Increased immigration creating a demand for rented housing
    Yes, but that was phase 2, RTB was the trigger. The irony is that Thatcher held herself up as a free marketeer but she massively distorted the market with 60% discounts.

Of course you're correct about immigration, property is about supply and demand, it really isn't rocket science. And in London where property prices are astronomical they continue to vote for more immigration, its bizarre.
    Economic demand for real estate is not the same as physical demand for accommodation. House prices have risen much faster than rents, in London as well as the rest of the country.
    Which figures. Rents are held down when house prices are rising because buying looks more attractive. If house prices fall, renting looks better so demand to rent increases; hence rents rise when house prices fall (or to be less prescriptive, perform relatively better - both could rise or fall but one could do so relatively more). Well, they did in the early 1990s anyway.
    In London both have soared simultaneously.
    Exactly. The soaring rents debate is about a local London problem. It demands a local London solution - if any action is appropriate.
    Please leave the rest of us out it.
    The London rents have plateued in past few months, but the expansion of licencing requirements (designating them as HMOs with a licence required) to all landlords renting to 3+ tenants is reducing rental stock and increasing prices in the councils that have introduced it. Newham being the most "enthusiastic" in enforcing it to all and watching rents rise by 50% in 5 years to 2016, third highest % rise in London. More councils such as Hammersmith are now launching the same whilst the Government DCLG under Javid has turned a blind eye to the massive problems it is creating. There are even mortgage difficulties for landlords where an HMO designation is communicated by the council to the mortgage company who then use it as an excuse to end a BTL mortgage (on low rates) even though the property had 3 or more bedrooms!
  • Options

Mr. Putney, these things do move in cycles. After the last few years of multiple elections and a referendum, a quieter period is to be expected.

That said, it'd be good if some older posters who were banned could perhaps have that exile lifted...

Tim and Plato from opposite ends of the spectrum?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210

Off Topic:

He came in, made incorrect claims about a car crash and then pronounced he had enough and flounced.
    He left because he started abusing another poster to which OGH objected.

It is the holidays. People have had a surfeit of politics and the same arguments over Brexit are dismal.

• Options

Off Topic:

I must have joined after his good stuff - most of what I saw seemed to be borderline racist, or misogynist claptrap tbh. It put me off buying any of his books anyway!
  • Options
    PeterC said:

test

PB going colour to improve the content?
  • Options

Out of interest, what does one have to do to get banned (not that I want to)? Are there some site rules I should have read or will common decency keep me safe?
  • Options

Out of interest, what does one have to do to get banned (not that I want to)? Are there some site rules I should have read or will common decency keep me safe?
    I believe denying the Holocaust is a definite no, no. Rightly so.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

Off Topic:

I must have joined after his good stuff - most of what I saw seemed to be borderline racist, or misogynist claptrap tbh. It put me off buying any of his books anyway!
    Sounds about right - he just used to do it with rather more éclat.

One a lighter note, the new face of test cricket:
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/aug/17/trollied-trunch-edgbaston-fans-day-night-test
    …by 8pm, Mr Blobby was leading Dick Tracy, the Mario Brothers, four Teletubbies, Gandalf, Noddy Holder and the Jamaican bobsleigh team in a conga line around the grandstand…

I hadn't realised that it was an Australian who invented the tea break...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

Common decency will distinguish you from most of us here, so I'm not sure.
    :smile:
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2017

Don't go suggesting that RadioHead is anything other than the greatest band in the world...
  • Options

On topic, I don't agree. Brexit is basically the only thing that matters in British politics right now. The reason is that there's room for a wide variety of plausible outcomes. Depending how it's played it could end up with anything: A huge car crash, a long-term free-trading settlement, a long-term protectionist settlement, more-or-less the status quo only with less voting rights, or cancelling the whole thing. In theory these positions are reversable, but in practice once they become entrenched they'll be very hard to shift.

This is different to most of the other issues which may be important but either aren't much to do with Britain - like whether Trump and Kim Jong Un blow up the world - or are already in a stable political configuration that prevents much change, like whether Britain is going to fix its housing problems by repealing the planning laws. (It's not.)

I agree. I accept that I am bit obsessed by Brexit, but I think it is an interesting topic for non-partisan reasons. The outcomes are uncertain, but they are nor really betting outcomes like a zero-sum referendum is. Brexit outcomes will be long drawn out and very messy.
  • Options

Merciless twitting of bald LibDems would do it, I reckon. You can say Vince Cable is a stupid old fool, because that's an uncontroversial consensus view, but I'd be surprised if you can say he's a stupid old bald LibDem fool without consequences. Fighting words, those, and you'd be if not banned at least offered out to settle it in the car park.
  • Options

Off Topic:

I blame it on Brexit....
    I think you're probably right, coupled with the fact that UK politics has become a whole lot less interesting of late and is desperately short of real talent on all sides of the political spectrum. It's a shame that Topping refuses to accept this fact and instead fires off against the messenger, i.e. yours truly, when it's an inescapable truth that traffic on this site very sharply of late whereby it is at least 70% down on its average level over recent years and has clearly lost a considerable degree of the previous humour, wit and intellectual incisiveness of its posters, not least, as Morris points out, as a result of some of its finest being over zealously banned, never to return.
  • Options
    Who's been banned who was any good, or are we not allowed to discuss that?
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Interesting - and mixed effects - of Sterling's fall - more foreigners are coming, but their spending is flat - and more Brits are going abroad - and their spending (in £) is well up:

Overseas residents made 3.5 million visits to the UK in June 2017; this has increased by 7% when compared with June 2016.

Overseas residents spent £2.2 billion on their visits to the UK in June 2017; this is an increase of 2% when compared with June 2016.

UK residents made 7.2 million visits abroad in June 2017; this has increased by 4% when compared with June 2016.

UK residents spent £4.6 billion on their visits abroad in June 2017, a 15% increase when compared with June 2016.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/leisureandtourism/bulletins/overseastravelandtourism/provisionalresultsforjune2017

Interesting - and mixed effects - of Sterling's fall - more foreigners are coming, and their spending is well up (in Euros) - and more Brits are going abroad - but their spending is flat:

Overseas residents spent €2.4 billion on their visits to the UK in June 2017; this is an increase of 17% when compared with June 2016.

UK residents spent €5.1 billion on their visits abroad in June 2017, a nil increase when compared with June 2016.

I have converted your post to Euros. It gives a different perspective.

UK total income (GDP) has dropped by 15% (£300 billion) since the referendum, relative to the rest of the world.

UK total wealth has also dropped by 15% (£1,350 billion) since the referendum, relative to the rest of the world.

You don't feel it until you travel abroad, buy imported stuff or try to use UK assets to buy assets abroad.

This diminution of our wealth as a result of the referendum is enormous and puts the £10b EU contribution into perspective.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    "A year after they plumped for Brexit and two months after they voted to take away the government’s majority, nearly three-quarters of Britons think their country is on the wrong track. That is the most in nearly five years, and the eighth-highest of 26 countries surveyed by Ipsos"
    https://www.economist.com/news/britain/21726728-health-terrorism-and-poverty-replace-migration-publics-main-worries-britons-mellow?fsrc=rss|btn
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. Song, worth noting that that could also be the figure had we voted to Remain and some were pushing for ever more integration.
  • Options

"A year after they plumped for Brexit and two months after they voted to take away the government’s majority, nearly three-quarters of Britons think their country is on the wrong track. "

democracy

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,644

I look at Plato's twitter feed most days. Once you have got past the mass of pictures of cats, dogs and assorted other animals the rest can be pretty scary. I suspect that the lifting of a ban could be short lived. Having said that I have been enlightened on the thought processes from this end of the spectrum.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Off Topic:

I blame it on Brexit....
    I think you're probably right, coupled with the fact that UK politics has become a whole lot less interesting of late and is desperately short of real talent on all sides of the political spectrum. It's a shame that Topping refuses to accept this fact and instead fires off against the messenger, i.e. yours truly, when it's an inescapable truth that traffic on this site very sharply of late whereby it is at least 70% down on its average level over recent years and has clearly lost a considerable degree of the previous humour, wit and intellectual incisiveness of its posters, not least, as Morris points out, as a result of some of its finest being over zealously banned, never to return.
    I hope the situation is that people are taking time out to catch their breath. Politically things are fraught and depressing what with Carolina statues and Nork nukes and brexit details, but as of June's fiasco there is not much on the electoral horizon, after a sustained burst of AVref Indyref EUref GE x2 Lab leader x2 and POTUS; German elections and Catalan indy don't really do it for me, to the extent that I might take a few months off (Cries of "No, no!) and come back when there's more to do than explain the expert/soothsayer distinction for the 999th time
  • Options

Mr. Song, worth noting that that could also be the figure had we voted to Remain and some were pushing for ever more integration.

And it could also not be.
  • Options

Was Tim actually ever banned?
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

No
  • Options
    JohnO said:

No
    That was my understanding - that he was a mysogynistic bully who should have been banned many times but was always protected by the mods who tended to ban his victims instead.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited August 2017
    Barnesian said:

Interesting - and mixed effects - of Sterling's fall - more foreigners are coming, and their spending is well up (in Euros) - and more Brits are going abroad - but their spending is flat:

Overseas residents spent €2.4 billion on their visits to the UK in June 2017; this is an increase of 17% when compared with June 2016.

UK residents spent €5.1 billion on their visits abroad in June 2017, a nil increase when compared with June 2016.

UK total income (GDP) has dropped by 15% (£300 billion) since the referendum, relative to the rest of the world.

UK total wealth has also dropped by 15% (£1,350 billion) since the referendum, relative to the rest of the world.

You don't feel it until you travel abroad, buy imported stuff or try to use UK assets to buy assets abroad.

This diminution of our wealth as a result of the referendum is enormous and puts the £10b EU contribution into perspective.
    This kind of movement in exchange rates is commonplace as can be seen from any long-term FX chart. The movement in sterling against the euro since Q2 2015 is comparable to those against the euro (or DM) between Q1 2008 and Q4 2008, Q3 1995 and Q2 2000 and between Q4 1985 and Q2 1995. There have been similarly wide swings against the dollar and other currencies. I do not think such things portend any kind of either nirvana or disaster.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

JohnO said:

No
    That was my understanding - that he was a mysogynistic bully who should have been banned many times but was always protected by the mods who tended to ban his victims instead.
    He was also incredibly astute, a genius-level tipster, and very, very funny. And he was banned more than once, but not when he left the site.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Barnesian said:

A misleading one. I earn and spend in pounds, like most British people.

I probably, in fact, spend more in Euros than most British people as I spend two weeks a year in the Eurozone with my in-laws...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    No one has heard of word processing and using the famous British Foreign office? What a problem to ask thousands of diplomats to deal with? Now if it was locust plagues....
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Barnesian said:

How many people pay for all their goods and services in euros?

Let's look at it another way. One hundred years ago, you could get five dollars to the pound, compared to 1.29 now. Would you say the UK is poorer than 100 years ago, or richer?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,076
    Scott_P said:
    Cakeism seems to be the latest neologism coined as a result of Brexit.
This discussion has been closed.