Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How Brexit is blinding us resulting in other massive issues be

13»

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,902
    edited August 2017
    PeterC said:

Barnesian said:

Interesting - and mixed effects - of Sterling's fall - more foreigners are coming, but their spending is flat - and more Brits are going abroad - and their spending (in £) is well up:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/leisureandtourism/bulletins/overseastravelandtourism/provisionalresultsforjune2017

Interesting - and mixed effects - of Sterling's fall - more foreigners are coming, and their spending is well up (in Euros) - and more Brits are going abroad - but their spending is flat:

Overseas residents made 3.5 million visits to the UK in June 2017; this has increased by 7% when compared with June 2016.

Overseas residents spent €2.4 billion on their visits to the UK in June 2017; this is an increase of 17% when compared with June 2016.

UK residents made 7.2 million visits abroad in June 2017; this has increased by 4% when compared with June 2016.

UK residents spent €5.1 billion on their visits abroad in June 2017, a nil increase when compared with June 2016.

I have converted your post to Euros. It gives a different perspective.

UK total income (GDP) has dropped by 15% (£300 billion) since the referendum, relative to the rest of the world.

UK total wealth has also dropped by 15% (£1,350 billion) since the referendum, relative to the rest of the world.

You don't feel it until you travel abroad, buy imported stuff or try to use UK assets to buy assets abroad.

This diminution of our wealth as a result of the referendum is enormous and puts the £10b EU contribution into perspective.
    This kind of movement in exchange rates is commonplace as can be seen from any long-term FX chart. The movement in sterling against the euro since Q2 2015 is similar to those against the euro (or DM) between Q1 2008 and Q4 2008, Q3 1995 and Q2 2000 and between Q4 1985 and Q2 1995. There have been similarly wide swings against the dollar and other currencies. I do not think such things portend any kind of either nirvana or disaster.
    Indeed. As someone who earns in USD and pays his mortgage in Sterling the last year's been great, but the couple of years before that were difficult - and in 07-08 when it was $2/£ it was a nightmare.

As you say, swings and roundabouts. The last year has been great for British exporters and the British tourist industry, if not for British tourists abroad.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Mr. Putney, these things do move in cycles. After the last few years of multiple elections and a referendum, a quieter period is to be expected.

That said, it'd be good if some older posters who were banned could perhaps have that exile lifted...

Tim and Plato from opposite ends of the spectrum?
    Was Tim actually ever banned?
    No
    Did Tim leave PB to avoid being banned?

Rather like Trump closing down his business liaison groups to stop the rest of them resigning one by one.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited August 2017
    Scott_P said:

But we were told only 13% of our laws were set by the EU.

"The House of Commons Library found that between 1993 and 2014, 13% of these two types of law were EU-related, on average."

https://fullfact.org/europe/uk-law-what-proportion-influenced-eu/
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

But we were told only 7% of our laws were set by the EU.

Treaty =/= Law

Apart from that, good spot...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    Looks like the American culture wars are about to turn seriously nasty. Not looking good at all.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:
    Looks like the American culture wars are about to turn seriously nasty. Not looking good at all.
    What's that refrain of the Brexiteers again? "We have so much more in common culturally with the US." Do you still believe it?
  • Options

What's that refrain of the Brexiteers again? "We have so much more in common culturally with the US." Do you still believe it?

Which one will win the race to get the lowest approval rating before being turfed out of office?

https://twitter.com/helenlewis/status/897562893440372736
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

There is still some good stuff even though it is August and everyone is on holiday. Speaking as a punter who is not an activist, does not use twitter and who could not point to Charlottesville on a map, I shall miss SeanT's insights into fine wines and exotic resorts: how the other half lives after leaving Downing Street so does not have to pretend to fly to Cornwall on Easyjet.
    Do we know SeanT has left? Maybe just busy on that third draft of the latest money-spinning thriller.
    I must have joined after his good stuff - most of what I saw seemed to be borderline racist, or misogynist claptrap tbh. It put me off buying any of his books anyway!
    Sounds about right - he just used to do it with rather more éclat.

One a lighter note, the new face of test cricket:
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/aug/17/trollied-trunch-edgbaston-fans-day-night-test
    …by 8pm, Mr Blobby was leading Dick Tracy, the Mario Brothers, four Teletubbies, Gandalf, Noddy Holder and the Jamaican bobsleigh team in a conga line around the grandstand…

I hadn't realised that it was an Australian who invented the tea break...
    That sounds like a lot of the crowd had a rather good (and long!) day out!

Cricket fans never seem to have any compunction about starting early. Social norms do not apply any more than they seem to at airports and cross-Channel ferries. And in the view of the eight men in fancy dress at the All Bar One in Birmingham New Street early Thursday morning, as well as, you suspect, one or two others among the 21,000 who turned up, the great advantage of day-night timing seems to have been that it meant they could start drinking earlier and go on drinking longer. Warwickshire made sure they were well catered for. There are, at a rough count, 30 bars around Edgbaston, among them two fully blown pubs serving a selection of real ales, a cocktail shack, a gin shop, two wine bars and a camper van offering a selection of Pimm’s cocktails.

By 5pm, then, three fancy dress cops were chasing half a dozen fancy dress robbers around the ground. Along with the more traditional round of applause, Joe Root’s hundred was celebrated by a couple of bold sorts whipping off their tops and waving them around their heads. And by 8pm, Mr Blobby was leading Dick Tracy, the Mario Brothers, four Teletubbies, Gandalf, Noddy Holder and the Jamaican bobsleigh team in a conga line around the grandstand.

The final session was played to a chorus of Neil Diamond’s bah-bah-bahs and Tom Jones’s la-la-las. Pretty much everyone left in Edgbaston seemed to be absolutely blotto.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:
    The culture war manifests in the behaviour of extreme or fringe opinion. So do the Brexit wars in the UK. Sane people do not want to be defined by such things. And there is no difficulty in finding examples of extreme behaviour in the European nations too, but they do not define Europe.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:
    Agreed. They are a seriously divided nation.

The investigation of Trump will likely make things worse too - they'll probably find something, but it probably won't be conclusive enough to be accepted by a lot of Trump supporters.
  • Options
    He is not going to be happy...

@benyc: Mother of Charlottesville victim: https://twitter.com/mkeneally/status/898509326595313664

@DavidWright_CNN: @GMA Heather Heyer's mom: "I saw an actual clip of [Trump] ... equating the protesters like Ms. Heyer with the KKK and the white supremacists."
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    rkrkrk said:

The investigation of Trump will likely make things worse too - they'll probably find something, but it probably won't be conclusive enough to be accepted by a lot of Trump supporters.

Trump's impeachment would just "prove" to many of his supporters that he was right all along.

Just as Brexit being monumentally harmful "proves" what a great idea it was
  • Options

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:
    While New York and London are not a million miles apart culturally, a lot of the rest of the USA is quite different to how most Britons might think it to be.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

rkrkrk said:

Trump's impeachment would just "prove" to many of his supporters that he was right all along.

Personally I don't like the Trump/Brexit parallels... I know there are some similarities - but to me the differences are much larger.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Personally I don't like the Trump/Brexit parallels... I know there are some similarities - but to me the differences are much larger.

https://twitter.com/foxbusiness/status/897996427229405185
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

rkrkrk said:

https://twitter.com/foxbusiness/status/897996427229405185
    I think I can live with the fact that I disagree with Nigel Farage
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:

rkrkrk said:

This is Trump's 'America First' economic policy translated into Brexit terms:

https://twitter.com/vote_leave/status/728537630166659073

I agree that there are very significant differences between the two phenomena, but electorally it's the similarities that got them over the line.
  • Options
    Alex Salmond was on TV last night.

The pictures are too disturbing to post...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259

Scott_P said:

But we were told only 13% of our laws were set by the EU.

"The House of Commons Library found that between 1993 and 2014, 13% of these two types of law were EU-related, on average."

https://fullfact.org/europe/uk-law-what-proportion-influenced-eu/
    Looking at the tweet, they are not laws per se but trade treaties with other countries.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:
    Two ends of the bell curve behaving like utter bell ends.

Until the people stop getting attention because they make a lot of noise this could last a long time.

• Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938
    Scott_P said:
    The term is not 'recreate' - its 'copy'.

So long as the two parties wish the agreement to continue, it can simply be copied and lodged with the WTO.
  • Options
    TonyE said:

Scott_P said:

So long as the two parties wish the agreement to continue, it can simply be copied and lodged with the WTO.
    Take back control of the photocopier, and then petition third countries to continue to deal with us as if we were in the EU?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:
    While New York and London are not a million miles apart culturally, a lot of the rest of the USA is quite different to how most Britons might think it to be.
    And by the "rest" we aren't talking about one homogeneous group / outlook. The mid-west is very different from the deep south.
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938

TonyE said:

Scott_P said:

Take back control of the photocopier, and then petition third countries to continue to deal with us as if we were in the EU?
    They did not sign those agreements because they were not in their own interest too. Stop using the 'Take back control' mantra like it means anything to those of us with an IQ above 100.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/BrianSpanner1/status/746488316510482433
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    Sandpit said:

<

Cricket fans never seem to have any compunction about starting early. Social norms do not apply any more than they seem to at airports and cross-Channel ferries. And in the view of the eight men in fancy dress at the All Bar One in Birmingham New Street early Thursday morning, as well as, you suspect, one or two others among the 21,000 who turned up, the great advantage of day-night timing seems to have been that it meant they could start drinking earlier and go on drinking longer. Warwickshire made sure they were well catered for. There are, at a rough count, 30 bars around Edgbaston, among them two fully blown pubs serving a selection of real ales, a cocktail shack, a gin shop, two wine bars and a camper van offering a selection of Pimm’s cocktails.

By 5pm, then, three fancy dress cops were chasing half a dozen fancy dress robbers around the ground. Along with the more traditional round of applause, Joe Root’s hundred was celebrated by a couple of bold sorts whipping off their tops and waving them around their heads. And by 8pm, Mr Blobby was leading Dick Tracy, the Mario Brothers, four Teletubbies, Gandalf, Noddy Holder and the Jamaican bobsleigh team in a conga line around the grandstand.

The final session was played to a chorus of Neil Diamond’s bah-bah-bahs and Tom Jones’s la-la-las. Pretty much everyone left in Edgbaston seemed to be absolutely blotto.

It sounds like most evening race meetings in the summer as well. Britain continues to enjoy a long and happy relationship with excessive alcohol consumption.

• Options

This is Trump's 'America First' economic policy translated into Brexit terms:

https://twitter.com/vote_leave/status/728537630166659073

I agree that there are very significant differences between the two phenomena, but electorally it's the similarities that got them over the line.

Perhaps... but I think if there hadn't been a more intellectual case to Brexit - it would have lost. I don't deny that the Farage immigrant posters were nasty and in the same vein as Trump... and they were probably necessary to winning also - but not sufficient.

There was an intellectual case of free trade, bespoke trade deals for the UK, irksome Brussels regulations that don't fit our circumstances etc. We do pay more into the EU than we receive - I'm happy to do so - but I can see how others find that hard to accept and it was a legitimate argument for Brexiteers to make (if they'd quoted the correct figure).

Trump by contrast... eugh what happened!?
  • Options
    TonyE said:

Stop using the 'Take back control' mantra like it means anything to those of us with an IQ above 100.

Are you saying the folk that voted to Take back Control are stupid?
  • Options
    TonyE said:

TonyE said:

Scott_P said:

They did not sign those agreements because they were not in their own interest too. Stop using the 'Take back control' mantra like it means anything to those of us with an IQ above 100.
    Many of these agreements with third countries are meaningless unless the UK is still under the umbrella of the EU institutions. They cannot simply be transposed as if nothing has changed.

If we wish to be outside the EU institutions then in most cases, seeking to renegotiate the same arrangements will impose new administrative overheads on third countries and they will rightly judge each case on its merits as to whether this is in their interests or not.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,726
    edited August 2017
    TonyE said:

Scott_P said:

It IS mostly recreate, not copy. We are trying to recreate our part of a multilateral system as a set of bilateral arrangements with different partners. It's impossible to replicate an identical set of agreements, even if we and our partners wanted to. We're no longer under the European legal jurisdiction, agreements will be with different partners on disparate aspects of what was previously a common system. The EU has no interest in replicating its systems just for us because we don't like being members of its organisation. Third parties are likely to see opportunities for renegotiation to their advantage. Presumably we left the EU because we wanted some change too.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

That was my understanding - that he was a mysogynistic bully who should have been banned many times but was always protected by the mods who tended to ban his victims instead.

My understanding is that he left after SeanT published details of his home address and his partner said enough of this, you're coming off that site.

Like MalcolmG, SeanT and a few others he gave and took stick with some vigour. I was never persuaded that he picked on women particularly, or that he bullied anyone - Sean certainly did much more of that. But these things are to some extent subjective. In any case I don't think he'd come back because of the above.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,995
    Sean_F said:

Barnesian said:

Interesting - and mixed effects - of Sterling's fall - more foreigners are coming, but their spending is flat - and more Brits are going abroad - and their spending (in £) is well up:

Overseas residents made 3.5 million visits to the UK in June 2017; this has increased by 7% when compared with June 2016.

Overseas residents spent £2.2 billion on their visits to the UK in June 2017; this is an increase of 2% when compared with June 2016.

UK residents made 7.2 million visits abroad in June 2017; this has increased by 4% when compared with June 2016.

UK residents spent £4.6 billion on their visits abroad in June 2017, a 15% increase when compared with June 2016.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/leisureandtourism/bulletins/overseastravelandtourism/provisionalresultsforjune2017

Interesting - and mixed effects - of Sterling's fall - more foreigners are coming, and their spending is well up (in Euros) - and more Brits are going abroad - but their spending is flat:

Overseas residents spent €2.4 billion on their visits to the UK in June 2017; this is an increase of 17% when compared with June 2016.

UK residents spent €5.1 billion on their visits abroad in June 2017, a nil increase when compared with June 2016.

I have converted your post to Euros. It gives a different perspective.

UK total income (GDP) has dropped by 15% (£300 billion) since the referendum, relative to the rest of the world.

UK total wealth has also dropped by 15% (£1,350 billion) since the referendum, relative to the rest of the world.

You don't feel it until you travel abroad, buy imported stuff or try to use UK assets to buy assets abroad.

This diminution of our wealth as a result of the referendum is enormous and puts the £10b EU contribution into perspective.
    How many people pay for all their goods and services in euros?

Let's look at it another way. One hundred years ago, you could get five dollars to the pound, compared to 1.29 now. Would you say the UK is poorer than 100 years ago, or richer?
    Your last question is a complete red herring as you well know. :)

Harold Wilson made the point 50 years ago "that the pound in your pocket has not been devalued" following a 14% devaluation. He was ridiculed for it.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/on-this-day--pm-harold-wilson-makes-‘pound-in-your-pocket’-gaffe-as-sterling-is-devalued-154514554.html

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. Barnesian, I recall Portillo on this week, during Brown's time as PM, wondering why a massive devaluation hadn't destroyed the government.

Anyway, time to be off.
  • Options
    AllanAllan Posts: 262
    edited August 2017
    Scott_P said:

TonyE said:

Stop using the 'Take back control' mantra like it means anything to those of us with an IQ above 100.

"By 53% to 39% REMAIN voters have favourable view of Corbyn. Leave ones tell YouGov by 68%-25% that they have an unfavourable view."

People with a favourable view of Corbyn are how one could say... challenged?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    Allan said:

Scott_P said:

TonyE said:

"By 53% to 39% REMAIN voters have favourable view of Corbyn. Leave ones tell YouGov by 68%-25% that they have an unfavourable view."

People with a favourable view of Corbyn are how one could say... challenged?
    Why's that Allan?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:
    Two ends of the bell curve behaving like utter bell ends.

Until the people stop getting attention because they make a lot of noise this could last a long time.

Indeed. But sadly, right now there's lots of people in the media doing very well out of the current situation as each side only wants to listen and watch their own echo chamber.

Stephen Colbert said jokingly a few nights ago that he owes Trump a very nice dinner, as the comedian had doubled his audience in the past year. Fox and Brietbart would probably say exactly the same from the other side.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Sandpit said:

<

It sounds like most evening race meetings in the summer as well. Britain continues to enjoy a long and happy relationship with excessive alcohol consumption.

I've a lot of friends here from the subcontinent who don't get why people would spend their whole day watching a cricket match, when they can play 20/20 in three hours at a much faster pace. They see only the sporting contest and don't really get the social aspect of it - those who bring a good book and a bottle of wine, or a few friends and a dozen beers just as an excuse for a day out.

When Pakistan played England in Dubai last year, the Brits in the crowd outnumbered those from the 'home' team at the Test matches. The crowd for the shorter forms was very different.
This discussion has been closed.