Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Calling Theresa May a “Nazi” totally undermines Chapman’s anti

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,876

Where do you think his analysis falls down?

You don't think people might spot:

With no Irish border controls, US beef, Australian lamb, Chinese steel and Indian cars can be imported into Belfast, sent an hour down the road to Dundalk and exported tariff-free to France, Germany or any other EU country.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

A few days old, but why haven't we heard more about this case? Particularly with customs arrangements such a topic for discussion.

http://www.politico.eu/article/uk-faces-e2-billion-eu-payment-for-china-fraud-trade/amp/

I imagine we'll be hearing plenty more about it. The Tory strategy is now perfectly clear: despite the election result, they're planning to walk out of the Brexit negotiations and will hope to do so having built a huge well of grievance against the EU. This case will be a part of that.

In fairness the Conservatives have been very clear that no deal is better than a bad deal. And so it is, for their electoral prospects.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,929

rkrkrk said:

Shall we open a pb.com bakery?

for toast?
    I think we can easily come up with a few novelty ideas:

The Brexiteer Bread... Traditional English fried bread.
    Price subject to sterling fluctuations due to imported ingredients.

The Social Justice Bread.... Brown bread in the shape of a snowflake.

Malcolm's Special Scottish Bread... Pot luck, could be delicious shortbread or a turnip.

The SeanT... Caviar on toast served with two shots of your favourite vodka.
    Caviar on toast optional.
  • Options

With no Irish border controls, US beef, Australian lamb, Chinese steel and Indian cars can be imported into Belfast, sent an hour down the road to Dundalk and exported tariff-free to France, Germany or any other EU country.

What's to spot! If the UK does not police its border, the Republic of Ireland will have to, otherwise the Irish border will become a back doir into the single market.

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,873
    Pagan said:

rcs1000 said:

Shit 4 am and people are blogging

whats it like to be a resident of Trumpton rcs ?

Expensive bread, cheap New Zealand wine, terrible cheese.

People seem more exercised over Charlottesville on pb, than in LA.
    PB is full of SJW's thse days what did you expect
    Plenty of Republican senators etc are exercised by Charlottesville, including Marco Rubio, Todd Young, Mitt Romney, John McCain. Unless they/we are all social justice warriors?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,991
    edited August 2017

James Chapman has at least established that there's a ready audience, on Twitter at least, for a new party that takes on Brexit. But he's not the hero we need.

I don't think he's really done that. He has made hay in the silly season and then made himself look silly. Clearly, some of what he Tweeted hit a nerve, but most people haven't noticed.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,156

A few days old, but why haven't we heard more about this case? Particularly with customs arrangements such a topic for discussion.

http://www.politico.eu/article/uk-faces-e2-billion-eu-payment-for-china-fraud-trade/amp/

it could be that you were wittering non stop on Trump and Brexit and never stopped to discuss it
    On the subject of Trump, it does seem that his father was arrested (but not charged) at a KKK rally in 1927.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/mvke38/all-the-evidence-we-could-find-about-fred-trumps-alleged-involvement-with-the-kkk
    The sins of the fathers? I hope I’m not held responsible for some of my father’s opinions!

And, to be fair, I suspect my sons might say the same of me!
  • Options
    edited August 2017

I imagine we'll be hearing plenty more about it. The Tory strategy is now perfectly clear: despite the election result, they're planning to walk out of the Brexit negotiations and will hope to do so having built a huge well of grievance against the EU. This case will be a part of that.

err werent remainers compiaining that there would be lots of fraud if we left the EU

seems thats theres lots of it while were in it too
    The fraud was because Britain willfully refused to enforce controls on goods heading to other EU member countries, hence the proposed €2 billion fine for lost costume duties in those countries. Hardly the EU's fault.

And incidentally, the UK is proposing to the EU that it doesn't need to control its border with the UK after Brexit because it can trust the UK to do the right thing
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

James Chapman has at least established that there's a ready audience, on Twitter at least, for a new party that takes on Brexit. But he's not the hero we need.

I don't think he's really done that. He has made hay in the silly season and then made himself look silly. Clearly, some of what he Tweeted hit a nerve, but most people haven't noticed.

Mind you, in today's surly atmosphere, can you imagine what the papers would have made of Batman.

"Elitist billionaire's secret plot to sabotage Brexit

Exploited older worker Alfred Pennyworth reveals all"
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    For anyone following the NZ election, there has been a staggering turn around in polling due to the leadership coup 2 weeks ago in the Labour party.

Labour Up 13% in 2 weeks

https://twitter.com/avancenz/status/898062219392331776
  • Options

In fairness the Conservatives have been very clear that no deal is better than a bad deal. And so it is, for their electoral prospects.

Of course - the Tories will always put party first. But you cannot build an economy on the back of gushing headlines in the Mail, Sun and Telegraph. At some point voters will notice they are a lot poorer and the public services they rely on are getting even worse. When the White Cliffs of Dover, No Surrender, Fight Them On The Beaches strategy was first presented the Tories were 20 points clear in the polls and Jeremy Corbyn was electoral poison. Neither now apply. A showdown may deliver a temporary boost, but it's hard to see how it can be sustained.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255

He certainly is not. Criticising the government's strategy on Brexit is easy enough. What is much much harder is establishing a viable alternative course and credible leadership. I posted the other day 3 questions which, to me anyway, needed answering and some PB'ers did provide good answers on the technicalities. But I do not see any leader remotely capable or willing to speak truth to us or the EU about what happens next given where we are.

O/T I see the Labour party is still in shooting the messenger mode - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/16/sarah-champion-quits-jeremy-corbyns-shadow-cabinet-warning-pakistani/.

Good luck to anyone expecting A-level results today.
  • Options

For anyone following the NZ election, there has been a staggering turn around in polling due to the leadership coup 2 weeks ago in the Labour party.

Labour Up 13% in 2 weeks

Mostly from the Greens.....

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11906037
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,048
    My guess is his wife has deleted his account in an attempt to stop a desk full of writs heading through their door upon return to the UK
  • Options

What's to spot! If the UK does not police its border, the Republic of Ireland will have to, otherwise the Irish border will become a back doir into the single market.

It's worse than that. It contaminates all our exports including the vast majority that are kosher as the EU won't know what's legitimate and what isn't, because the UK doesn't bother to discriminate if the stuff is to be sold abroad.
  • Options
    Despite her brave and admirable campaign to highlight the sex grooming gangs in her Rotherham constituency, Sarah Champion was on borrowed time with the Labour leadership.

She had never really been forgiven for making enemies of Corbynistas by quitting the Shadow frontbench last summer.

Her resignation – along with more than 80 other MPs – was part of what turned out to be a failed coup against Jeremy Corbyn.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4797656/ANDREW-PIERCE-Sarah-Champion-seen-traitor.html
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,046
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Pulpstar, I'm sensing you are not being tempted by the Democrats...

Miss Cyclefree, given who Corbyn describes as his friends, I suppose being shot is better than being thrown off a rooftop.

I'm sure after a period of re-education she'll be allowed to sit at the big table again, provided she promises to nod along.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

it could be that you were wittering non stop on Trump and Brexit and never stopped to discuss it
    On the subject of Trump, it does seem that his father was arrested (but not charged) at a KKK rally in 1927.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/mvke38/all-the-evidence-we-could-find-about-fred-trumps-alleged-involvement-with-the-kkk
    The sins of the fathers? I hope I’m not held responsible for some of my father’s opinions!

And, to be fair, I suspect my sons might say the same of me!
    And ditto. My dad is a frothing europhobe.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

It's worse than that. It contaminates all our exports including the vast majority that are kosher as the EU won't know what's legitimate and what isn't, because the UK doesn't bother to discriminate if the stuff is to be sold abroad.

Yep. And today the Times reveals that on top of the additional customs costs and red tape the government plans to impose on businesses, it also plans to increase the red tape and costs involved in hiring staff - and will also tell companies who they can and can't employ. Truly Brexit is going to set UK plc free!!
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Of course - the Tories will always put party first. But you cannot build an economy on the back of gushing headlines in the Mail, Sun and Telegraph. At some point voters will notice they are a lot poorer and the public services they rely on are getting even worse. When the White Cliffs of Dover, No Surrender, Fight Them On The Beaches strategy was first presented the Tories were 20 points clear in the polls and Jeremy Corbyn was electoral poison. Neither now apply. A showdown may deliver a temporary boost, but it's hard to see how it can be sustained.

Lol the Tories put party first no more and no less than any other party. Get over yourself.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Truly Brexit is going to set UK plc free!!

If we work hard enough...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,240
    FF43 said:

Pagan said:

rcs1000 said:

Plenty of Republican senators etc are exercised by Charlottesville, including Marco Rubio, Todd Young, Mitt Romney, John McCain. Unless they/we are all social justice warriors?
    And joined by Stonewall Jackson's grandsons:
    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/08/stonewall_jackson_s_grandsons_the_monuments_must_go.html
    Last weekend, Charlottesville showed us unequivocally that Confederate statues offer pre-existing iconography for racists. The people who descended on Charlottesville last weekend were there to make a naked show of force for white supremacy. To them, the Robert E. Lee statue is a clear symbol of their hateful ideology…

Perhaps Pagan's thinking is analogous to that of the Corbynites, to whom everyone but their fellow true believers are 'Tories' ?
  • Options
    trawltrawl Posts: 142
    CarlottaVance. Re Champion have you just heard the discussion on Today. OMG there's part of the problem. Utter denial from the Labour guest. Classic attempted deflection.

On topic. The Chapman insult which I hadn't seen is rich. Presumably all of his followers who were rightly outraged at some questioning the state of his MH will be similarly outraged by the above.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960

FF43 said:

Yep. And today the Times reveals that on top of the additional customs costs and red tape the government plans to impose on businesses, it also plans to increase the red tape and costs involved in hiring staff - and will also tell companies who they can and can't employ. Truly Brexit is going to set UK plc free!!
    More incentive to train up and employ British workers? Good.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798

that was Frank Underwood youre getting all mixed up
  • Options
    Times struggling to get scare story going.....

Q&A
    Could the Irish border become a “back door” to Britain after Brexit?

Not really, because EU citizens would be free to come in through the front door.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e385267a-82c6-11e7-a96c-24e6c6e68b13
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,110

Labour Up 13% in 2 weeks

Disgruntled Greenz on the move after the benefits fiddling/electoral fraud nonsense.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Truly Brexit is going to set UK plc free!!

If we work hard enough...
    Can anyone see a teensy problem there? :)
  • Options

FF43 said:

chortle

well given you support the government setting wage levels why does that give you a problem ?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Sorry but the foreseen problem is that the EU border might become porous?

Am sure the Italians and Greeks will be concerned ...
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

FF43 said:

More incentive to train up and employ British workers? Good.

Not really. Less incentive to set up and invest in building a business in the UK. Start-up tech companies, for example, need programmers now, not when the government decides.

• Options
    chrisoxonchrisoxon Posts: 204
    edited August 2017
    Will OGH finally admit that Chapman isn't the messiah and he isn't even a prophet being silenced by the Illuminati...

https://twitter.com/Kevin_Maguire/status/898075889338122240

It sounded weird last week and got progressively weirder. Any warning that something was up was dismissed as a smear because "Chapman was feared".

(Or is Kevin Maguire also in on it?)
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited August 2017
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan said:

rcs1000 said:

I don't mean to sound obsessive, but why is bread three times the price in the US it is in the UK. And it's worse too.

Why???
    What has the price of bread to do with misguided people who only ever see things from one point of view?
    Understanding SJWs is easy.

Understanding why a simple concoction of wheat, yeast and heat is massively more expensive in one place than another is much less easy.

I seek wisdom, not easy answers.
    Going back to basics: strong white flour, the kind you need for bread, is 80p per 1.5kg at Tesco, or twice that if you unnecessarily pay for the branded Allisons (?) version. For the own brand that is about 3.3lb for a usd. How does that compare? I'm not doing dried yeast because if you have a pot of sourdough culture you don't need yeast, and all the bread in Cal. seems to be sourdough (at least in restaurants). SF is the sourdough capital of the world and you can buy a sourdough starter there for say $5 if you can't be bothered to breed your own (and you only pay once, it is immortal if fed a teaspoon of flour occasionally). As for the methodology, I believe your dad is an authority.

Edit to add the crucial bit: 1.5 kg -> about 3 standardish size loaves, so your unit cost is 27p plus a bit of electric. A big-ass bakery is presumably paying a fraction of the retail price for flour, obv.
  • Options
    Mike Smithson

If you search on Twitter it appears James Chapmans Twitter account was hacked into and some Tweets may not have been his. This is why the account is showing as does not exist.
  • Options
    Agreeing with Jezza now? There is hope for us all.

Nick Timothy seems to be another rat swimming away from the sinking ship.
  • Options
    You're an airline. You have a choice of (generally two) engines for your jets....

.....do you buy

.....the better engine, or

.....the one from the company with the more ethnically diverse board?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/aug/17/ftse-100-companies-lack-diversity-brexit-trade-deals-non-eu-countries
  • Options
    WinstanleyWinstanley Posts: 434
    Was Chapman ever taken seriously? His extravagances are probably less mental than the basic project of forming a new 'centrist' party...
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

rcs1000 said:

Pagan said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan said:

rcs1000 said:

I don't mean to sound obsessive, but why is bread three times the price in the US it is in the UK. And it's worse too.

Why???
    What has the price of bread to do with misguided people who only ever see things from one point of view?
    Understanding SJWs is easy.

Understanding why a simple concoction of wheat, yeast and heat is massively more expensive in one place than another is much less easy.

I seek wisdom, not easy answers.
    You're not the only one with this observation:

5. Bread
    The aerated cake that passes for bread in this country is so unpleasant that you’ll probably end up relying on alternative starch sources, like pasta, rice and potatoes. But if you do stick with supermarket loaves, expect to pay around $4.99.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2012/07/10-things-that-are-pricier-in-the-u-s

I live in Jakarta and the shop bread here can be excellent but expensive - so use a Panasonic bread maker - though finding decent bread flour in the US may be a challenge, as here. I use plain bread flour and add stuff - bran, nuts, seeds.
    Chicken is cheap! Supermarkets usually have deals on chicken breast for $1.70 a pound or under. Bread, biscuits (cookies), cell phones and internet cost more than here.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    chrisoxon said:

Will OGH finally admit that Chapman isn't the messiah and he isn't even a prophet being silenced by the Illuminati...

It sounded weird last week and got progressively weirder. Any warning that something was up was dismissed as a smear because "Chapman was feared".

Nail on the head:

https://twitter.com/daimler250/status/898078106149412864
  • Options

FF43 said:

chortle

well given you support the government setting wage levels why does that give you a problem ?

Because, like you, I understand that when you need to hire people you need to be able to hire the best candidates as quickly as possible. Hilariously, making that more expensive and harder to do will - wait for it, ho, ho, ho - make companies less likely to risk growing their operations. How funny is that?

• Options

I agreed with Jezza on Uni fees at the time of the election and have been criticising the current policy on here from long before it was popular to do so

I took a fair bit of criticism from righties saying the young would just suck it up

it was really pleasing to see they didnt, theres hope for this country yet
  • Options
    felix said:

Lol the Tories put party first no more and no less than any other party. Get over yourself.

The Tories always tell us they put country first. I agree with you. They don't.

• Options
    chrisoxonchrisoxon Posts: 204
    tlg86 said:

chrisoxon said:

Nail on the head:

https://twitter.com/daimler250/status/898078106149412864
    I consistently said something was "off...

https://twitter.com/RupertMyers/status/898050020456505344
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

My guess is his wife has deleted his account in an attempt to stop a desk full of writs heading through their door upon return to the UK

Seconded.
  • Options
    Pagan said:

FPT:

The problem with Brexit is simple

The argument boils down to is our parliament sovereign or are the people sovereign. The remainers believe the former, brexiters think the latter

What about when parliament voluntarily delegates to the people, with parliament formulating a specific 'yes or no', and when the PM, ministers, representatives of all parliamentary parties etc. say that parliament will enact whichever gets the majority vote? All entirely unforced.

It's too tangled for such a simple division.
  • Options
    Mr. 86, only one P so I'm guessing that's a fake/parody account.
  • Options

FF43 said:

chortle

Because, like you, I understand that when you need to hire people you need to be able to hire the best candidates as quickly as possible. Hilariously, making that more expensive and harder to do will - wait for it, ho, ho, ho - make companies less likely to risk growing their operations. How funny is that?

it;s no different than the system most countries worldwide employ and quite successfully

febrile flouncing isnt actually an industrial policy either

• Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

You're an airline. You have a choice of (generally two) engines for your jets....

.....do you buy

.....the better engine, or

.....the one from the company with the more ethnically diverse board?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/aug/17/ftse-100-companies-lack-diversity-brexit-trade-deals-non-eu-countries

The Guardian needs to move back to Manchester.
  • Options

felix said:

yes youve said that

its the same with all the other parties too
  • Options

I agreed with Jezza on Uni fees at the time of the election and have been criticising the current policy on here from long before it was popular to do so

I took a fair bit of criticism from righties saying the young would just suck it up

It wasn't only the righties who thought that but the Clegg fan club as well - IIRC OGH thought that increased tuition fees would be a vote winner for the LibDems as it would guarantee increased pay rises and pensions for university workers.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223

Hard to tell the difference though.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,030

FF43 said:

chortle

it;s no different than the system most countries worldwide employ and quite successfully

Yeah, if someone is suggesting that onerous immigration rules will stifle business, just point them at the US.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Looks like Vince might have a few problems with one of his "new" MP's and her intersting way with election expenses: http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15477703.MP_Swinson_under_fire_over___39_vanishing__39__election_costs/?ref=ebln
  • Options
    An interesting similarity between Trump's attitude to Charlottesville and Corbyn's attitude to Rotherham.
  • Options
    Mr. 86, if Chapman is having some problems, hopefully he can get the help he needs.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    tlg86 said:

Hard to tell the difference though.
    Yeah that is one of the things that make twitter useless, the other being its inability to put convs into a comprehensible threaded view. Twatter indeed.
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    OK I'm back from self imposed exile knowing I'll regret it.

I'm reading that the Tories put party before country, its because they absolutely believe that what they stand for is best for the country. Ditto the labour party, they believe renationalisation is best for the country. The lib dems believe being in the EU is best, etc etc.

The blind tribalism on here is very juvenile.
  • Options
    Incidentally this Chapman bloke, I wasn't the only one who expressed concerns about his state of mind. I have little doubt he'll be treated for something or other before long.

That aside, he is a perfect example of how ego can ruin a man. I'm not in the least surprised plenty on here were cheering him to the rafters before skulking away looking embarrassed.
  • Options

felix said:

yes youve said that

Agreed. Union Jack waving Tory MPs and ministers who claim their party always puts the country first are lying.

• Options
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

chortle

Yeah, if someone is suggesting that onerous immigration rules will stifle business, just point them at the US.
    Or Singapore
  • Options

felix said:

yes youve said that

Agreed. Union Jack waving Tory MPs and ministers who claim their party always puts the country first are lying.

ho hum

its going to be one of those days
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,799

I'm reading that the Tories put party before country, its because they absolutely believe that what they stand for is best for the country. Ditto the labour party, they believe renationalisation is best for the country. The lib dems believe being in the EU is best, etc etc.

There is also the question of what do you mean by 'the country'. Do you mean the 60-odd million people who live here, or 'the establishment'? Or something else?
  • Options

It wasn't only the righties who thought that but the Clegg fan club as well - IIRC OGH thought that increased tuition fees would be a vote winner for the LibDems as it would guarantee increased pay rises and pensions for university workers.
    It is one reason amongst many why Vince was a poor choice as leader. While he is in office the LDs will not be able to move on from that debacle. It was a Tory policy, albeit with complicity from both LDs and New Labour. As more youngsters get drawn into that quicksand of debt it is going to grow and grow as an issue.
  • Options

felix said:

yes youve said that

No, they are not lying; they genuinely believe it. That they are mistaken is a different matter.
  • Options

FF43 said:

chortle

Which countries have decided to increase the expense and red tape involved in recruiting recently?

• Options

It is one reason amongst many why Vince was a poor choice as leader. While he is in office the LDs will not be able to move on from that debacle. It was a Tory policy, albeit with complicity from both LDs and New Labour. As more youngsters get drawn into that quicksand of debt it is going to grow and grow as an issue.
    It wont just net the young, the system doesnt work so ultimately all taxpayers will have to pick up the tab.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited August 2017
    After asking the EU to patrol the Irish border, now this

https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/898086822198337536

Never felt so in control. So much Sovereignty...
  • Options
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

chortle

The US in which businesses are crying out for significant immigration reform?

• Options

There is also the question of what do you mean by 'the country'. Do you mean the 60-odd million people who live here, or 'the establishment'? Or something else?
    Good point, ask 100 people what is meant by putting the country first you'll get 100 different responses.

Every party has an ideology that believes is best for people, they differ enormously. People taking the moral high ground in saying they put the country first are ridiculous.

Tribalism is the ruination of democracy, read this site for myopic, ill considered garbage from all sides.
  • Options

100%. Too much of the centrist party fantasy on here is basically pre-political, at the stage 'why not just choose to make good policies that work and please everyone'.
  • Options

FF43 said:

chortle

Which countries have decided to increase the expense and red tape involved in recruiting recently?

so your argument is that our tech sector is so crap it cant compete on a level playing field ?

not really worth getting worked up about then
  • Options

RobD said:

FF43 said:

chortle

The US in which businesses are crying out for significant immigration reform?

Well of course they want it to be cheaper, that doesn't stop them though.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/898086822198337536

I thought this would be an arrangement both sides wanted?
  • Options

Forgive me I thought it was Blair who introduced tuition fees as part of his crackpot idea to get 50% of kids to uni?
  • Options

Forgive me I thought it was Blair who introduced tuition fees as part of his crackpot idea to get 50% of kids to uni?
    Didn't you get the memo, he was a tory. :)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

here's a picture of teenagers jumping up and down with their results

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4798308/A-levels-quarter-expected-grades.html
  • Options

FF43 said:

chortle

so your argument is that our tech sector is so crap it cant compete on a level playing field ?

It has a level playing firld now. It won't have one when it becomes more expensive and complex to recruit in the UK than in France, Germany, the Netherlands, Spain etc.

• Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Which election did she lose, Mike?
  • Options

Indeed.

I'm still astonished as to why Clegg and his gang supported it.

It was obvious that increased tuition fees had serious problems from the beginning and had the potential to be significantly worsened. As indeed they have been through Osborne's freezing of the repayment level.

The LibDems had the opportunity to 'make a difference' in government yet chose to do the wrong thing, damage themselves among a key voting demographic and expose themselves as blatant liars to the electorate as a whole.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Yep. And today the Times reveals that on top of the additional custan and can't employ. Truly Brexit is going to set UK plc free!!
    chortle

Because, like you, I understand that when you need to hire peoplikely to risk growing their operations. How funny is that?

It has a level playing firld now. It won't have one when it becomes more expensive and complex to recruit in the UK than in France, Germany, the Netherlands, Spain etc.

does tech compete with them, I thought tech was global -USA India and Far East - not the neighbours
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,108
    edited August 2017
    Scott_P said:

File under 'No sh1t, Sherlock'. We already let citizens of dozens of countries travel to the UK without a visa.

People are still getting confused by the specific EU use of the phrase 'Freedom of Movement'* I suspect the confusion is deliberate.

*It has nothing to do with passport checks at borders, it is the entitlement to an NI number and the ability to claim state benefits.
  • Options
    Another question for Remainers, specifically @southam:

Why do you say we have a level playing field for recruitment?

Ask non EU residents if they agree with you.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan said:

rcs1000 said:

Why???
    I'm surprised you haven't thought of this as a business opportunity.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,594

I do hope the tabloid newspapers manage to find some very bright, very curvy triplets today. The picture editors' fingernails must be down to their quicks.

thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/plain-looking-students-exam-success-goes-undocumented-2013081578670
  • Options
    RobD said:

Didn't you get the memo, he was a tory. :)
    Yes my bad.

Another attempt on here to rewrite history.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,991
    edited August 2017

We have a level playing field with other European countries. When we make it more expensive and complicated to recruit talent we become a less atteactive location to set up and build companies, as well as less attractive for potential immigrants. It's all in here:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/06/13/guest-slot-the-impact-of-leaving-the-eu-on-londons-technology-start-up-scene/

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Why would we want to do anything else?

Surely you're not so stupid as to confuse visiting with immigration?

Why would we want to harm this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travel_visa#Visa_restrictions
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Amused by the Labour party response to Sarah Chapman. A very odd accusation of Islamophobia.

I'd have suggested that the Rotherham taxi-drivers were not too Islamist in the first place. Taking drugs, drinking alcohol, raping under-age girls they've just met ... Not sure that's recommended behaviour in the Koran. A more accurate description of the perpetrators would be racist paedophiles

Preferentially choosing white girls because of their 'bad behaviour' and the cultural feeling that they are easy and probably deserve it is racism. Their religion, if any, is less relevant.

Don't Labour understand that Ms Chapman is a feminist, and in Labour's game of Top Trumps, she'll side with raped girls rather than male pseudo-Islamists? Momentum, of course, would rather she told lies in the Guardian than tell the truth in the Sun.

• Options

We have a level playing field with other European countries. When we make it more expensive and complicated to recruit talent we become a less atteactive location to set up and build companies, as well as less attractive for potential immigrants. It's all in here:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/06/13/guest-slot-the-impact-of-leaving-the-eu-on-londons-technology-start-up-scene/

But surely the best way is for us to be able to attract the best people from across the globe rather than a small proportion of it.

Do you think its fair to discriminate against, for example, Pakistanis?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,108

FF43 said:

chortle

And when we leave the EU, companies looking for skilled employees will be able to hire them just as easily no matter which country they're from, rather than the two-tier system that currently exists.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Yep. And today the Times reveals that on top of the additional custan and can't employ. Truly Brexit is going to set UK plc free!!
    chortle

Because, like you, I understand that when you need to hire peoplikely to risk growing their operations. How funny is that?

does tech compete with them, I thought tech was global -USA India and Far East - not the neighbours

Berlin, Barcelona and other European cities are all seeing rapid growth in their tech sectors. And, yes, competition for talent is global. That's why it's important not to make it harder and more rxpensive to recruit it.

• Options
    Mr. CD13, Champion*. Chapman is the tweeter.

• Options
    The art of a politician is that what's best for the country happens to best for him too!
  • Options

Several of our naturalised Filipino nurses said the same. "Why can these Portuguese just walk in, when I need to pay for a visa and take an exam?"

Though of course it is going to be a levelling down rather than levelling up. The government wants to reduce non EU immigration too.
  • Options

UK labour law is fundamentally different from European it has substantial advantages on flexibility, taxes and working hours

nobody in their right mind would employ someone in France as a permanernt employee
  • Options

But surely the best way is for us to be able to attract the best people from across the globe rather than a small proportion of it.

Do you think its fair to discriminate against, for example, Pakistanis?

The best way is not to make it more expensive and complex than it is now. Reducing the size of the talent pool from which you can recruit without needing government permission will make it harder for businesses and so disincentivise investment in growth.

This discussion has been closed.