Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Something to consider about how amenable the EU27 might be to

Comments

• Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

So despite spending a huge wodge on Foreign aid were seen as no better than anyone else

spot the budget saving

Without it we might have the popularity of Iran...
    without it we could pay for free higher education

we might even try training some doctors for a change

Given what it does - increase UK influence and contribute to reducing unrest and trouble before they flare up - we could go further down the same route and free up even more cash if we slash Armed Forces expenditure by reducing them to a Homeland Defence role only.

If that's the road we want to take.
    Britain seems to be the only country which pays both the 2% on Defence and the 0.7% on Overseas Aid.

It doesn't seem to make us popular.

Perhaps they should be reduced to the same levels as Germany.
    They should be honest and call it 2.7% of GDP on interfering.
    Defence ain't about defence and aid ain't about the unfortunate.
    Ireland spends 0.5% of GDP on defence. Austria and Switzerland 0.8%. Finland and Sweden ~1.5%. None of them spend 2%.

I'd support a UK cut to ~1%.

In terms of UK reputation, surely far better to use scarce resources to restore the funding of the World Service and British Council?
    https://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201011/cmselect/cmfaff/572/57206.htm
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Mortimer said:

Anecdote alert: at a big wedding over the weekend, then a trade fair and dinner with the in-laws.

To a man and woman anyone who I talked politics with (40-50 in total) was infuriated with Remainers talking of trying to subvert the result. Similarly, all that went further suggested that we obviously can't be part in part out. These were largely AB1s, a handful of C1/2s too.Quite surprising given how many Remainers (and leavers to, tbh) here increasingly suggest there is no appetite for actual Brexit.

To the contrary, I'd suggest that apart from among fervent politicos, there is no appetite for anything but Brexit. The government line is correct. Nerves need to be held.

I never, ever have these kinds of conversation with people. I'd worry they would edge away from me nervously if I started them up.

sounds like a weird wedding to me, if anyone came up to me at a wedding and started talking mince about the Tories I would make a quick exit.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mrs C, whilst I appreciate your honesty, do I find it saddening that you think a country should give away its democratic self-government.

Yes, the current (domestic political) situation is deeply uninspiring. That's a problem with the current leadership, not with democracy, in the same way a bad king doesn't make the system of monarchy worthless.

It's a lot easier to give up rights and power than it is to achieve them in the first place, or to reclaim them once abandoned.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

Mortimer said:

Anecdote alert: at a big wedding over the weekend, then a trade fair and dinner with the in-laws.

To a man and woman anyone who I talked politics with (40-50 in total) was infuriated with Remainers talking of trying to subvert the result. Similarly, all that went further suggested that we obviously can't be part in part out. These were largely AB1s, a handful of C1/2s too.Quite surprising given how many Remainers (and leavers to, tbh) here increasingly suggest there is no appetite for actual Brexit.

To the contrary, I'd suggest that apart from among fervent politicos, there is no appetite for anything but Brexit. The government line is correct. Nerves need to be held.

I never, ever have these kinds of conversation with people. I'd worry they would edge away from me nervously if I started them up.

Really? Was a uni wedding and we're all pretty lay-political (i.e. none of us actually work in politics itself). All the blokes from the stag do (during the election campaign) sought me out to chat about it.

I didn't prompt, either. I was absolutely staggered.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

sounds like a weird wedding to me, if anyone came up to me at a wedding and started talking mince about the Tories I would make a quick exit.
    Better class of wedding in Dulwich, clearly...
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,994

Mortimer said:

Which in all honesty is why I don't think you have a balanced view of public opinion. I can't go two days without someone at work talking about Brexit. And it is certainly not me who instigates it. As a consultant I am hugely aware that my position could be at risk if I upset the wrong people so I am extremely circumspect about my views. Even when the heated discussions get started I keep my opinions to myself. I save the arguments for on here.

I would say that amongst those I work with opinion is pretty much evenly split in terms of how they voted - at least as far as I can gather. But the idea that people don't talk about this almost all the time is quite alien to my experience.
  • Options

Mrs C, whilst I appreciate your honesty, do I find it saddening that you think a country should give away its democratic self-government.

Yes, the current (domestic political) situation is deeply uninspiring. That's a problem with the current leadership, not with democracy, in the same way a bad king doesn't make the system of monarchy worthless.

It's a lot easier to give up rights and power than it is to achieve them in the first place, or to reclaim them once abandoned.

MD, you are marooned in your history books. We have no power and few rights.
    Just a faded memory and a country going to the dogs whilst the arses at
    the top line their pockets.

• Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

FF43 said:

For their own sake, if not the country's sake, the Conservatives need a leader who can tell the party we are as a matter of necessity going for Single Market with freedom of movement, ECJ and customs union. There are only two viable options for the UK and if you don't like the Single Market, the other one is full membership of the EU, which you and the country as a whole rejected.

Otherwise the nightmare for the party and the country will go on and on and on. It doesn't matter what you thought you voted for. There will be no comprehensive trade agreement with the EU in the near future. They have no interest in replicating a system they already have just because the UK, a country that they owe no favours to, demands it. There will be no system of trade deals with other countries to make up. The Single Market is the only possible way of putting the EU thing to bed. We go from being half in the EU to being half out, declare the job done. And move on.

One wonders how countries like Canada, Japan and Australia manage given the only viable options for national survival are the EU and the EU in all but name.

Surely we aspire to something more than national survival.

The difference between the UK and every country on earth is that we are the only one currently seeking to remove ourselves from a market of which we have been an integral part for over 40 years and which accounts for well over 40% of all our exports.

We are not seeking to remove ourselves from that market. We are seeking to remove ourselves from political union.

That involves removing ourselves from the single market.

Are you suggesting that once we leave the single market we will never, ever trade with the EU again? Sorry if I have misread it but that's the way it comes across to me
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Which in all honesty is why I don't think you have a balanced view of public opinion. I can't go two days without someone at work talking about Brexit. And it is certainly not me who instigates it. As a consultant I am hugely aware that my position could be at risk if I upset the wrong people so I am extremely circumspect about my views. Even when the heated discussions get started I keep my opinions to myself. I save the arguments for on here.

I would say that amongst those I work with opinion is pretty much evenly split in terms of how they voted - at least as far as I can gather. But the idea that people don't talk about this almost all the time is quite alien to my experience.
    Indeed. Part of the reason I had so many conversations about it is almost certainly because I knew 50% of the guests at the wedding (was at uni with both bride and groom), and they know I'm one of the few Leavers amongst the group. In the real world, people who voted Remain are engaging with the notion of leaving far more than in the media/press/on here/in Westminster.

• Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Indeed, but I think we need to move to a different stage of democracy. The US system involved states giving up independence in a Federal system, yet they still have a lot of authority and democracy. I think we need to move more that way. A Federal EU would not be a bad thing IMO
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

To a man and woman anyone who I talked politics with (40-50 in total) was infuriated with Remainers talking of trying to subvert the result. Similarly, all that went further suggested that we obviously can't be part in part out. These were largely AB1s, a handful of C1/2s too.Quite surprising given how many

Sounds more like a bunch of fannies to me, your idea of "class" is a bit skewed methinks. You need to get out more and meet real people, you have more than a touch of the Theresa's.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,914
    TOPPING said:

I think EEA/EFTA is going to have to be the way forward. Call it interim, call it transitional, whatever works but it both satisfies those who want out, and satisfies those who want in.

Who wouldn't be happy? A small minority.

@Charles acutely noted that marketed as a free trade association (for it is that), it might receive less opposition.

My own view of its likely acceptance is that it is still a big ask. But of all the bonkers, pledge u-turning, policy-ditching, rudderless ship shenanigans we have had of late, this will be small fry.

Doesn't exactly help on the sovereignty issue though?
    Or on immigration.

I'd suggest therefore that those unhappy would be more than a small minority?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Agree totally.

The more I read the guff spouted by the likes of Cable the more certain I am that we need to just get out asap.

None of these people (Cable, Clarke, Heseltine, Blair, Clegg etc) have ever had one doom laden prediction about the Euro/EU come true, why on earth they have any credibility is beyond me.

Lord Lawson is right, trying to negotiate is a waste of time, just accept that WTO it is and move on.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,994

Indeed, but I think we need to move to a different stage of democracy. The US system involved states giving up independence in a Federal system, yet they still have a lot of authority and democracy. I think we need to move more that way. A Federal EU would not be a bad thing IMO
    The EU is already far beyond the US in centralising powers and I certainly don't see them surrendering them as part of their planned federalisation. Federalism is a poor form of democracy and even in the US it doesn't work well for many people.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2017
    Jonathan said:

Stench of decay around May this morning.

Still can't fathom why the Tories are going for this drawn out, painful leadership contest.

Because there's (probably) no election pending. If we were to switch leader, that won't magic up a majority, so exactly the same problems Theresa May has would attach themselves to, and screw up the reputation of, the new leader. You want to change leader at a time where you can get electoral advantage from the honeymoon period.

I am sure that that's the thinking. It is sound, as far as it goes, but obviously is at substantial risk of being caught out by Events. Mind you, so is Corbyn's current ludicrously high approval rating.
  • Options
    Mr. G, history ought not be neglected. It's full of lessons that can be learnt without suffering them directly.

Mrs C, there's no proposal for such a thing, though. I don't just mean in over/covert terms, I mean the EU drags power to the centre, it doesn't devolve it or have any wish to do so. Not only that, there's no European demos, despite the mythologising of some ideologues.

A Yorkshireman might consider himself the countryman of a Lancastrian or Scotsman, or even Irishman. But a Slovenian? A Greek? An Italian?

The scale, culture, demographics, economies, histories and societies of the varying states of Europe are not suited to be be a single country and not unified by being 'one people'. Not only that, this very diversity is not a bad thing.

I do, however, appreciate you being honest about your federalism.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

To a man and woman anyone who I talked politics with (40-50 in total) was infuriated with Remainers talking of trying to subvert the result. Similarly, all that went further suggested that we obviously can't be part in part out. These were largely AB1s, a handful of C1/2s too.Quite surprising given how many

Sounds more like a bunch of fannies to me, your idea of "class" is a bit skewed methinks. You need to get out more and meet real people, you have more than a touch of the Theresa's.
    Says the man who spends his time talking about mince and turnips....
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

I think that our democracy works pretty well. I see no advantage in transferring power to supranational institutions.
  • Options
    HenryGMansonHenryGManson Posts: 149
    O/T Tennis: Today I'm backing Sam QUERREY to beat Kevin Anderson in a match between two big servers. There'll be plenty of aces in this match and short service games. But of the two, I would make QUERREY the favourite. He's won 7 of their 12 previous meetings and unlike his opponent he has won a fast court title this season. 6/5 is available with Bet Victor and 11/10 elsewhere. I'd make QUERREY 8/11 favourite.

Last 2 previous selections lost. RUBLEV was 2-1 up but developed a stomach/abdominal injury which hampered his performance towards the end. Fought valiantly though. BAGHDATIS was brushed aside in the first set.

• Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited July 2017

JRM is like Boris, but with less piffle. He is a posho, but like Boris is comfortable in his skin in a way that Dave Cameron occasionally got wrong. He is intelligent articulate and charming.

His politics are a century out of date, and it is that that would lose dozens of seats. Still better than May, though.

I would not even consider voting Tory if JRM was the leader. I want to go forwards to the future, not backwards to the past.
    Why should we care what you think?

You haven't said anything vaguely Conservative or centre-right for years, and your posts are mostly full of childish smiley faces and thumbs-up.
    The behaviour of the Conservatives over the last few years have pushed me leftwards and convinced me that the current centre right are a bunch of self-obsessed, delusional, vain, glory-seeking incompetent halfwits.

What is there to say these days that is "Conservative"? It appears to have become a regressive, isolationist, exclusionary philosophy - all the things opposite to my beliefs

Edit: Sorry, I forgot....

:D:):+1:
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787

Jonathan said:

Still can't fathom why the Tories are going for this drawn out, painful leadership contest.

Corbyn's current ludicrously high approval rating.
    He could always asks Mrs May what can happen to that.....
  • Options
    Reposting in case some missed it - an interesting analysis of options that eschews 'Soft' and 'Hard' slogans:

https://flipchartfairytales.wordpress.com/2017/07/06/a-uk-eu-customs-union-an-option-most-of-us-could-live-with/
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

JRM is like Boris, but with less piffle. He is a posho, but like Boris is comfortable in his skin in a way that Dave Cameron occasionally got wrong. He is intelligent articulate and charming.

His politics are a century out of date, and it is that that would lose dozens of seats. Still better than May, though.

I would not even consider voting Tory if JRM was the leader. I want to go forwards to the future, not backwards to the past.
    Why should we care what you think?

You haven't said anything vaguely Conservative or centre-right for years, and your posts are mostly full of childish smiley faces and thumbs-up.
    The behaviour of the Conservatives over the last few years have pushed me leftwards and convinced me that the current centre right are a bunch of self-obsessed, delusional, vain, glory-seeking incompetent halfwits.

What is there to say these days that is "Conservative"? It appears to have become a regressive, isolationist, exclusionary philosophy - all the things opposite to my beliefs

Edit: Sorry, I forgot....

:D:):+1:
    I think you've just moved leftwards, and so you realise that you have nothing left in common with the centre-right.
  • Options
    Mr. Manson, cheers. Bad luck with Rublev.

Mrs C, the Conservatives are currently deeply uninspiring.

But an election isn't a referendum on whether you like a party or not. It's a choice between them. I'll take deeply uninspiring over unilateralist self-declared friend of Hezbollah every day of the week.

[If I were in a different sort of seat I might view things differently, but it's a red-blue marginal, so I don't].
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

You trying to say talking about Brexit is better than discussing real food products now. What university did you go to , Trumpton.
  • Options
    Apols if posted before - Prof Curtice sums up where we are on opinion on Brexit post the GE:

http://whatukthinks.org/eu/has-the-election-seen-a-change-in-attitudes-towards-brexit/
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    edited July 2017

Jonathan said:

Because there's (probably) no election pending. If we were to switch leader, that won't magic up a majority, so exactly the same problems Theresa May has would attach themselves to, and screw up the reputation of, the new leader. You want to change leader at a time where you can get electoral advantage from the honeymoon period.
    I think we got a hint this year that honeymoon periods don't conjure up electoral advantages if the fundamentals are wrong. In short, you get found out.

I think May is broken. Every day she stays the Tories take on more damage that they then have less time to recover from.

If you can't find Mr Right, you should at least find Mrs Not Completely Broken to tide you over.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,308
    malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

You trying to say talking about Brexit is better than discussing real food products now. What university did you go to , Trumpton.
    I don't think they have a Conservative Association at Trumpton, they have a strong affiliation to the FBU, or so I gather!
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,966

Mortimer said:

I talk about Brexit very frequently in work-related situations - it is absolutely integral to what we do and what our clients do. I have never pretended to have a handle on public opinion, I just express my own thoughts and report the views that I hear - which, among the clients I talk to, are overwhelmingly negative to Brexit. They bring it up all the time.

I don't have these conversations at social events - there are other things to talk about. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think that people at weddings want to hear my views on the subject and I am not sure that I want to hear theirs.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited July 2017

FF43 said:

For their own sake, if not the country's sake, the Conservatives need a leader who can tell the party we are as a matter of necessity going for Single Market with freedom of movement, ECJ and customs union. There are only two viable options for the UK and if you don't like the Single Market, the other one is full membership of the EU, which you and the country as a whole rejected.

Otherwise the nightmare for the party and the country will go on and on and on. It doesn't matter what you thought you voted for. There will be no comprehensive trade agreement with the EU in the near future. They have no interest in replicating a system they already have just because the UK, a country that they owe no favours to, demands it. There will be no system of trade deals with other countries to make up. The Single Market is the only possible way of putting the EU thing to bed. We go from being half in the EU to being half out, declare the job done. And move on.

One wonders how countries like Canada, Japan and Australia manage given the only viable options for national survival are the EU and the EU in all but name.
    It's not impossible but Japan has a long-term-meh economy, and that's despite a substantially bigger domestic population than the UK.

Canada and Australia have huge land masses with lots of natural resources, which makes for quite a different kind of economy.
  • Options

FF43 said:

The difference between the UK and every country on earth is that we are the only one currently seeking to remove ourselves from a market of which we have been an integral part for over 40 years and which accounts for well over 40% of all our exports.

We are not seeking to remove ourselves from that market. We are seeking to remove ourselves from political union.

Are you suggesting that once we leave the single market we will never, ever trade with the EU again? Sorry if I have misread it but that's the way it comes across to me

No, I am stating that as a matter of fact when the UK leaves the single market it will no longer be a part of the single market.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    malcolmg said:

Sounds more like a bunch of fannies to me

Morning Malc! :D
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Mortimer said:

malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

Says the man who spends his time talking about mince and about turnips....
    Fixed it for ye!
  • Options
    Is Jezza up for forming a national government with Mother Theresa?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,701
    edited July 2017

So despite spending a huge wodge on Foreign aid were seen as no better than anyone else

spot the budget saving

Without it we might have the popularity of Iran...
    without it we could pay for free higher education

we might even try training some doctors for a change

Given what it does - increase UK influence and contribute to reducing unrest and trouble before they flare up - we could go further down the same route and free up even more cash if we slash Armed Forces expenditure by reducing them to a Homeland Defence role only.

If that's the road we want to take.
    Britain seems to be the only country which pays both the 2% on Defence and the 0.7% on Overseas Aid.

It doesn't seem to make us popular.

Perhaps they should be reduced to the same levels as Germany.
    They should be honest and call it 2.7% of GDP on interfering.
    Defence ain't about defence and aid ain't about the unfortunate.
    Ireland spends 0.5% of GDP on defence. Austria and Switzerland 0.8%. Finland and Sweden ~1.5%. None of them spend 2%.

I'd support a UK cut to ~1%.

In terms of UK reputation, surely far better to use scarce resources to restore the funding of the World Service and British Council?
    https://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201011/cmselect/cmfaff/572/57206.htm
    Not sure that that is necessary when the World Service Annual Review 2016 suggests that the audience reach has increased by 50% since 2010.

"The Service estimates that its total annual audience has increased
    from 166 million in 2010-11 to 246 million in 2015-16, exceeding its forecasts.
    The Service predicted significant reductions in its audiences in forecasts it prepared
    in 2011 and 2012. Actual audiences have been higher as the Service has invested more
    in digital and television services than it originally expected, and it has cut back on the
    reductions it planned for short-wave radio. "
    http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/review_report_research/world_service/bbc_world_service.pdf
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    edited July 2017
    OT. Interesting ad for Absolut (sort of). I like it. It represents everything Brexit doesn't. (BBH the agency that gave us Levi Laundrette and others)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbaY0sHonZ4
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    GIN1138 said:

Hardly he will not want to follow in Ramsey Macdonald's footsteps.
  • Options

FF43 said:

It's not impossible but Japan has a long-term-meh economy, and that's despite a substantially bigger domestic population than the UK.

Canada and Australia have huge land masses with lots of natural resources, which makes for quite a different kind of economy.

More important, none of them have ever been a part of the single market and so have never had economies predicated on being a part of it.

• Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450

Apols if posted before - Prof Curtice sums up where we are on opinion on Brexit post the GE:

http://whatukthinks.org/eu/has-the-election-seen-a-change-in-attitudes-towards-brexit/

I think he's right - Leave/Remain probably hasn't changed much but confidence in the government's ability to deliver Leave has certainly fallen. What a balls up.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

GIN1138 said:

Hardly he will not want to follow in Ramsey Macdonald's footsteps.
    That's what I thought...
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,322
    Yes, Theresa is starting to cut a forlorn and desperate figure. Reaching out to Jezza seems like a grotesque parody of Gordon's 'Government of all the talents'. The thing I fear for most though is Brexit. With the government paralysed, we just don't seem to have enough time. Redesigning our relationship with Europe and implementing it within eighteen months was always going to be an 'aggressive timeline'. And I know he's doing his absolute very best, but Liam's trade agreements seem at best nascent. Theresa made a terrible blunder doing Article 50 when she did. This should have been a long-term project, and she should have waited at least ten years.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I think we got a hint this year that honeymoon periods don't conjure up electoral advantages if the fundamentals are wrong. In short, you get found out.

I think May is broken. Every day she stays the Tories take on more damage that they then have less time to recover from.

If you can't find Mr Right, you should at least find Mrs Not Completely Broken to tide you over.
    There are no good options. Theresa May's catastophic blunders have screwed up the party's position, and more importantly the country's position. The Article 50 clock ticking is a major complication, and I think that is probably tipping the balance towards her staying on as being the least bad option.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    houndtang said:

I think he's right - Leave/Remain probably hasn't changed much but confidence in the government's ability to deliver Leave has certainly fallen. What a balls up.
    Things started going wrong the weekend after the referendum when Boris (and everyone else) went missing and it's been getting worse ever since.

Tories = Spanners!!!
  • Options

Reposting in case some missed it - an interesting analysis of options that eschews 'Soft' and 'Hard' slogans:

https://flipchartfairytales.wordpress.com/2017/07/06/a-uk-eu-customs-union-an-option-most-of-us-could-live-with/

That's a very good article, if only for the chart showing the pros and cons of the different scenarios.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

A smarter politician than May, less in hoc to proponents of extreme Brexit, would now have the opportunity to drive a permanent wedge between many Labour MPs and the party's leadership while also putting the UK in a much better position to negotiate a decent, sustainable Brexit deal.

• Options

FF43 said:

More important, none of them have ever been a part of the single market and so have never had economies predicated on being a part of it.

Right, I wonder what the precedents even are for rapidly unrolling a FTA. There must be some if you go way back, but modern trade is on a totally different scale.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited July 2017
    TOPPING said:

I think EEA/EFTA is going to have to be the way forward. Call it interim, call it transitional, whatever works but it both satisfies those who want out, and satisfies those who want in.

@Charles acutely noted that marketed as a free trade association (for it is that), it might receive less opposition.

My own view of its likely acceptance is that it is still a big ask. But of all the bonkers, pledge u-turning, policy-ditching, rudderless ship shenanigans we have had of late, this will be small fry.

How would the existing EFTA members feel about the UK joing their cosy club of small countries? EFTA would be transformed and the existing members might be wary of being overshadowed. I would have thought that for that reason temporary membership of EFTA would not be acceptable. It is not clear to me that it is possible to be outside the EU yet inside the customs union - Norway is in EFTA and the EEA but not the CU - witness the customs checks at the border with Sweden.
  • Options

Yes, Theresa is starting to cut a forlorn and desperate figure. Reaching out to Jezza seems like a grotesque parody of Gordon's 'Government of all the talents'. The thing I fear for most though is Brexit. With the government paralysed, we just don't seem to have enough time. Redesigning our relationship with Europe and implementing it within eighteen months was always going to be an 'aggressive timeline'. And I know he's doing his absolute very best, but Liam's trade agreements seem at best nascent. Theresa made a terrible blunder doing Article 50 when she did. This should have been a long-term project, and she should have waited at least ten years.

Fox's trade deals are the least of the UK's worries. They will essentially be concluded on the terms dictated by the other side of the table. The only issue we will face is whether to agree to them or not.

• Options
    Mr. Nabavi, yeah. Sad that May screwed it up so much and that Corbyn remains.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    If the younger generation want lower hosue prices then they should campaign for higher interest rates.

High interest rates in the 1970s kept house prices lower than they would otherwise be.

Alternatively, in the 1950s and 60s house prices were kept even lower by restrictions on mortgage lending. Lending was rationed. Once lending restrictions were lifted house prices boomed. So we could return to mortgage rationing.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Right, I wonder what the precedents even are for rapidly unrolling a FTA. There must be some if you go way back, but modern trade is on a totally different scale.

And the single market is a lot more than an FTA.

• Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450
    GIN1138 said:

houndtang said:

Things started going wrong the weekend after the referendum when Boris (and everyone else) went missing and it's been getting worse ever since.

Tories = Spanners!!!
    Yep - Leave was the right decision, unfortunately placed in the hands of the wrong people.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

There are no good options. Theresa May's catastophic blunders have screwed up the party's position, and more importantly the country's position. The Article 50 clock ticking is a major complication, and I think that is probably tipping the balance towards her staying on as being the least bad option.
    It think you underestimate the cost of weak/broken leadership. If you could find someone like Howard who could offer managerial competence and the ability to hold cabinet discipline you would find your position improves.

Right now you look incompetent and divided. That will kill you.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

It think you underestimate the cost of weak/broken leadership. If you could find someone like Howard who could offer managerial competence and the ability to hold cabinet discipline you would find your position improves.

David Davis would be a decent Michael Howard figure, IMO.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, the blues need to either unite or axe May. It's a little like the Brown situation.

I wish John Hutton had become Labour leader. He really seemed to have his head screwed on right.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Jonathan said:

I don't underestimate it, it's a disaster. However, a change of leader would still leave the government looking weak, incompetent and divided. Some of that is because of the PM's personal position, but much of it is the inevitable result of being a minority government at a time which was always going to be difficult.

It would be different if there were an alternative, charismatic and unifying figure who had successfully grabbed the initiative and pulled things together by sheer force of character. But there isn't.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,322
    GIN1138 said:

houndtang said:

Tories = Spanners!!!
    Yes, good observation. It put out a horrible message - objective achieved for the furtherance of our careers now let's have a holiday. Boris and co. should have been on the airwaves continuously in the immediate aftermath, proclaiming that 'the hard work starts here' and 'this is merely the end of the beginning'. Instead an air of vagueness and drift was created that persists to this day.
  • Options
    Mr. Dawning, indeed. It also smacked of Boris being too clever by half, siding with Leave to become PM after Cameron left, then actually winning the referendum when he never wanted to.

The man's a full-blown idiot.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

GIN1138 said:

houndtang said:

Tories = Spanners!!!
    Yes, good observation. It put out a horrible message - objective achieved for the furtherance of our careers now let's have a holiday. Boris and co. should have been on the airwaves continuously in the immediate aftermath, proclaiming that 'the hard work starts here' and 'this is merely the end of the beginning'. Instead an air of vagueness and drift was created that persists to this day.
    The irony is that Theresa May seemed to be the only one that at least had a clear plan for what she wanted to do with Brexit (one can argue whether it was a sensible plan) but the electorate rejected it...
  • Options

Mr. Jonathan, the blues need to either unite or axe May. It's a little like the Brown situation.

I wish John Hutton had become Labour leader. He really seemed to have his head screwed on right.

...and if not Hutton Hoey or Field. Then we could have two Tory Party leaders
  • Options
    Mr. Roger, infinitely better than a friend of Hamas as Leader of the Opposition.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PippaCrerar: Even the Vote Leave chief thinks this is a *seriously* bad idea https://twitter.com/odysseanproject/status/884354037956718593
  • Options
    Meanwhile, in today's "take back control" news...

@andybell5news: Downing St confirms ECJ could have role in "implementation" period after #Brexit
  • Options

Jonathan said:

I don't underestimate it, it's a disaster. However, a change of leader would still leave the government looking weak, incompetent and divided. Some of that is because of the PM's personal position, but much of it is the inevitable result of being a minority government at a time which was always going to be difficult.

It would be different if there were an alternative, charismatic and unifying figure who had successfully grabbed the initiative and pulled things together by sheer force of character. But there isn't.
    At times like those a skilled politician at the helm is more vital than ever.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Scott_P said:

Meanwhile, in today's "take back control" news...

@andybell5news: Downing St confirms ECJ could have role in "implementation" period after #Brexit

I would've thought you'd agree with an "implementation" period... The longer the better?
  • Options

That's a very good article, if only for the chart showing the pros and cons of the different scenarios.
    For those without the time to read it a Red White and Blue Brexit (the May option) will lead to a proliferation of food banks and bankruptcies
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@PippaCrerar: Even the Vote Leave chief thinks this is a *seriously* bad idea https://twitter.com/odysseanproject/status/884354037956718593

Maybe the Vote Leave chief should have been a bit clearer before the referendum as to which particular flavour of Brexit Vote Leave were advocating.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,846
    edited July 2017
    The next few years is looking like something I can take a stab at now, underpinned by the twin metastabilities of Tory grip on power and Corbyn grip on his own position.

May's survival is dependent on Brexit progressing, and if she looks like a barrier to the negotiation she is gone. Unfortunately, she is a plodder, decent when A50 needed to be prepared or extraditing a hate preacher, but not nimble enough to work against the clock on a GE campaign or with Brexit. She will be gone this year, perhaps a month or two later than the ideal timetable, and Davis will succeed her. The Tories will remain metastable.

Brexit will be some degree of bad to terrible or could collapse entirely, depending primarily on how ordered it is. There will be large scale public unrest. Davis will be gone by 2020 - if Brexit was merely bad, Boris has a chance, if terrible a Cameroon, perhaps Ruth, will be favoured. The grip on power will remain metastable.

The Tories will cling on until 2022 no matter what, with the DUP sticking around, sometimes used, sometimes distanced. If we assume by elections and losses in line within the ageing of the very comfortably off, they will just about get through, their metastability battered but unbowed by Brexit, economy, leadership changes, poisonous blamestorming and terrible morale. Fundamentally, the Conservatives end up with little more than a confidence and supply arrangement with themselves.

Labour's troubles will not go away, but their disunity will be minor news. The battles over process remains and the McDonnell amendment, for instance, will get gummed up. There is a very good chance Corbyn will fight GE22, but if events do go to prevent this, a soft left move is likely, with Lewis or Thornberry both possible.

I think the polls will show Labour somewhat ahead going into GE22 with the shine quickly off the third Tory leader of the term, but with Corbyn PM as the theme, it will not be a foregone conclusion.

• Options

Maybe the Vote Leave chief should have been a bit clearer before the referendum as to which particular flavour of Brexit Vote Leave were advocating.

He was very clear...

https://twitter.com/MichaelPDeacon/status/747000584226607104
  • Options

FF43 said:

No, I am stating that as a matter of fact when the UK leaves the single market it will no longer be a part of the single market.

But we will still trade with that market, even on WTO terms?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Well, we're supposed to be asking you now..

What do you suggest?
    New leader, snap election asap. Do or die.

Hanging on never works. You may fear Corbyn, but you will only gain a few months at the cost of your party by dragging this out.

Got to agree that this would be best for the Conservative Party in the medium-to-long term.
    They won't do it, though.

- May hanging on with her authority demolished makes her look bad, the Conservatives look bad, weakens the country, and, as Major found out when his authority looked damaged, redoubles the propensity of the media to view everything through the lens of "all bad things are down to the Government; all good things would have happened anyway." Which reinforces the vicious circle.

- A lot of difficult things will be happening over the next couple of years (Brexit outstanding among them), and whatever compromises are found will have bad things (down to the Government as above) mixed in with any good. The bad things will be a massive stick to beat the Conservatives with for many years to come.

- It's hugely unlikely that anything will spontaneously happen to save the Conservatives over the next few years, wishful thinking notwithstanding - at least not under May.

- Changing leaders will redouble the call for another election for a mandate, which will likely see the Conservatives hit and knocked out of Government. The longer it goes before the election, the worse it is liable to be.

This leads to desperate out-of-the-box thinking like David Herdson's "abdicate to Corbyn without an election" idea - which, while a good attempt at brainstorming suffers from the issue that deliberate abdication will be held against the Conservatives by all anti-Corbyn voters and many pro-Conservative voters. (Handing over to the Lib Dems for a Coalition on the basis of giving up Disproportional Representation and promising a referendum on the final Brexit deal, with the Lib Dem Leader as PM is equally out-of-the-box thinking, but more likely to keep unfettered Corbynism away for good - but equally unthinkable for Conservatives).

The least bad option is to find someone - almost anyone - as an alternative leader, and roll the dice again. The odds are stacked against an outright win for the Conservatives, but they're unlikely to get better than this, and the loss would likely be far less than it would get the longer it takes.

Not going to happen, though.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

Or on immigration.

Something is going to have to give. Not sure where it will be but this might be the way to upset the smallest number of people.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Pro_Rata said:

The next few years is looking like something I can take a stab at now, underpinned by the twin metastabilities of Tory grip on power and Corbyn grip on his own position.

May's survival is dependent on Brexit progressing, and if she looks like a barrier to the negotiation she is gone. Unfortunately, she is a plodder, decent when A50 needed to be prepared or extraditing a hate preacher, but not nimble enough to work against the clock on a GE campaign or with Brexit. She will be gone this year, perhaps a month or two later than the ideal timetable, and Davis will succeed her. The Tories will remain metastable.

Brexit will be some degree of bad to terrible or could collapse entirely, depending primarily on how ordered it is. There will be large scale public unrest. Davis will be gone by 2020 - if Brexit was merely bad, Boris has a chance, if terrible a Cameroon, perhaps Ruth, will be favoured. The grip on power will remain metastable.

The Tories will cling on until 2022 no matter what, with the DUP sticking around, sometimes used, sometimes distanced. If we assume by elections and losses in line within the ageing of the very comfortably off, they will just about get through, their metastability battered but unbowed by Brexit, economy, leadership changes, poisonous blamestorming and terrible morale. Fundamentally, the Conservatives end up with little more than a confidence and supply arrangement with themselves.

Labour's troubles will not go away, but their disunity will be minor news. The battles over process remains and the McDonnell amendment, for instance, will get gummed up. There is a very good chance Corbyn will fight GE22, but if events do go to prevent this, a soft left move is likely, with Lewis or Thornberry both possible.

I think the polls will show Labour somewhat ahead going into GE22 with the shine quickly off the third Tory leader of the term, but with Corbyn PM as the theme, it will not be a foregone conclusion.

Interesting predictions Mystic Rata.

Personally I don't know what's going to happen next week nevermind in 2022... ;)
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

You suggested Hague. I think he is as good as we are likely to get. Path to No 10 : upgrade to Hereditary Peer - stand in byelection - coronation.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,308
    GIN1138 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

That is a starkly concerning statement when Mr Howard's recent outings have included advocating potential military action against Spain over their posturing over Gibraltar. For what it is worth your statement regarding Mr Howard and Mr Davis is probably, although unfortunately, accurate.
  • Options
    Roger said:

For those without the time to read it a Red White and Blue Brexit (the May option) will lead to a proliferation of food banks and bankruptcies
    Same as if Corbyn gets in then
  • Options

FF43 said:

Of course. It will just be more expensive and more time consuming than it is now.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,534

Mrs C, economically things worked pretty well (although it's telling that the single market was completed in areas other than finance).

Politically, that is not the case. If the economic aspect had been available without the politics, I would've happily voted for that. But the EU demands ever more power and is constantly shifting it from nation-states to the centre. Failed referendum results are either ignored or re-run until acceptance is given to EU centralisation. Brown reneged upon a manifesto commitment to a referendum on Lisbon, and now the EU Army, derided as a myth by federalists, is coming ever closer.

We've got to make a choice, ultimately.

Yes Mr Dancer - we do have to make a choice.

I find it remarkable that someone like me who spent years as a mild BOO-er has now shifted to the pro-EU side of the fence and it is Brexit that made me shift. Our handling of Brexit is just making me more and more convinced that the UK is no longer fit for purpose. It is time for Federal Europe. We need to shift our viewpoint to a more integrationist role were we, the Germans and the Nordic countries take control of the EU and liberalise it.

That seems to me to be a grander vision than retreating to a 1957 Mk2 Peak Blighty.
    Yes, you have moved over to the dark side and embraced treason, betrayal and double-crossed thinking. And now you feel qualified to gleefully hurl insults the other way, in a childish and petulant manner.

I have far more respect for Labour/Tory Remainers and posters on here than you.

Nobody likes a turncoat that turns enthusiastically on ones former allies. My opinion of you couldn't be lower.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

That is a starkly concerning statement when Mr Howard's recent outings have included advocating potential military action against Spain over their posturing over Gibraltar. For what it is worth your statement regarding Mr Howard and Mr Davis is probably, although unfortunately, accurate.
    We're talking about Howard from 2003 to 2005 not 2017 Howard. ;)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The Euratom Treaty was extensively amended by the Treaty of Lisbon, though it continues to have a separate existence from the EU Treaties. Most significantly, Article 106a of the Euratom Treaty, as amended, now provides that “Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union (the Article that sets out the procedure for EU withdrawal) … shall apply to this Treaty.”

.....Withdrawal from Euratom was therefore not a question of stubborn absolutism on the part of the Prime Minister over submission to the jurisdiction of the CJEU. It was, rather, an inevitable legal consequence of the decision of the British people to withdraw from the EU. The only legal means of effecting withdrawal is by serving an Article 50 notice, which, as illustrated above, also has the automatic effect of withdrawing from Euratom.

http://brexitcentral.com/cant-pick-choose-bits-eu-membership-like-brexit-must-come-withdrawal-euratom/
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,534

FF43 said:

What does New Zealand have?
  • Options

FF43 said:

Of course. It will just be more expensive and more time consuming than it is now.

For both sides.

The way you were portraying it is that we are removing ourselves from that market and will never trade with them again.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,914
    TOPPING said:

rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

Or on immigration.

Something is going to have to give. Not sure where it will be but this might be the way to upset the smallest number of people.
    I agree something will have to give.

But I can't see TM doing that. She has always prioritised immigration over the economy.
    And I don't know if she would even be strong enough within her party to push through a shift in policy like this - even if she wanted to...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060

FF43 said:

Lots of agricultural commodities.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    PeterC said:

TOPPING said:

How would the existing EFTA members feel about the UK joing their cosy club of small countries? EFTA would be transformed and the existing members might be wary of being overshadowed. I would have thought that for that reason temporary membership of EFTA would not be acceptable. It is not clear to me that it is possible to be outside the EU yet inside the customs union - Norway is in EFTA and the EEA but not the CU - witness the customs checks at the border with Sweden.
    It was put to me (by people who know!!!!!) before the referendum that the EFTA option was "ridiculous" in that as you say, you couldn't have an economy the size of the UK in this peripheral group.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

The Euratom Treaty was extensively amended by the Treaty of Lisbon, though it continues to have a separate existence from the EU Treaties. Most significantly, Article 106a of the Euratom Treaty, as amended, now provides that “Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union (the Article that sets out the procedure for EU withdrawal) … shall apply to this Treaty.”

.....Withdrawal from Euratom was therefore not a question of stubborn absolutism on the part of the Prime Minister over submission to the jurisdiction of the CJEU. It was, rather, an inevitable legal consequence of the decision of the British people to withdraw from the EU. The only legal means of effecting withdrawal is by serving an Article 50 notice, which, as illustrated above, also has the automatic effect of withdrawing from Euratom.

http://brexitcentral.com/cant-pick-choose-bits-eu-membership-like-brexit-must-come-withdrawal-euratom/
    Presumably we'll have associate membership of Euratom like Switzerland and there won't be a problem?

Looks like another entirely made-up scare (this time trying to worry people with Cancer) from Continuity Remain...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

We're talking about Howard from 2003 to 2005 not 2017 Howard. ;)
    All three of them were Sid and Doris
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

It was put to me (by people who know!!!!!) before the referendum that the EFTA option was "ridiculous" in that as you say, you couldn't have an economy the size of the UK in this peripheral group.

Our economy will be much smaller.

Problem solved...
  • Options

FF43 said:

13.3% of their exports are of "concentrated milk". Does that mean cheese, do you think?

http://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/nzl/
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Lucky cows
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    Chuka Umunna and Anna Soubry team up to lead a new cross-party group against hard Brexit
    https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/10/rebel-mps-form-cross-party-group-to-oppose-hard-brexit
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Thorpe is due to close end of 2018, the difficult to treat nuclear waste is due to be returned to Germany untreated, and ITER (according to the New Yorker) looks like a shambles. Why does it matter if we are in Euratom? Am I missing something?
  • Options
    For the record, leaving Euratom would not be the end of the world.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Chuka Umunna and Anna Soubry team up to lead a new cross-party group against hard Brexit
    https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/10/rebel-mps-form-cross-party-group-to-oppose-hard-brexit

Is this the start of the new Liberal Party of Great Britain?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    PeterC said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

You suggested Hague. I think he is as good as we are likely to get. Path to No 10 : upgrade to Hereditary Peer - stand in byelection - coronation.
    Hague and Howard, the 2001 general election loser or the 2005 general election loser, no thanks we may as well keep May for now
This discussion has been closed.