Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn is a survivor: back him to last until 2019 at least

SystemSystem Posts: 11,697
edited July 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn is a survivor: back him to last until 2019 at least

With so much focus on whether Theresa May will survive – or perhaps more accurately, for how long – it’s an opportune time to have a look at the same bet on the other side. After all, the value is often there to be had when people aren’t paying enough attention.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    First!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Second :)
  • Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    Turd
  • Options
    Agree with Mr Herdson. The only real Corbyn question now is whether he'll see off two Tory leaders or three.....
  • Options
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Greetings fellow insomniacs!

How Singapore tackles housing. Some good aspects, some bad. I quite like the quotas to stop segregation for public housing.

https://www.economist.com/news/asia/21724856-subsidies-are-irresistiblebut-come-social-controls-why-80-singaporeans-live?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/why80ofsingaporeansliveingovernmentbuiltflats
  • Options

How Singapore tackles housing. Some good aspects, some bad. I quite like the quotas to stop segregation for public housing.

https://www.economist.com/news/asia/21724856-subsidies-are-irresistiblebut-come-social-controls-why-80-singaporeans-live?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/why80ofsingaporeansliveingovernmentbuiltflats

Can't get past paywall - one factor I'm sure none of us would want to see here is political consensus that comes from the same party winning 80%+ of the vote in every election. Another thing we could do better here is local authorities sticking to the requirements for low cost housing in new developments and not capitulating when the developers argue for reductions.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    FPT:
    rcs1000 said:

Why have neither Mortimer nor Essexit taken their MAs yet?

A good question - almost no one from my cohort bothered and the alumni department don't push it much either (as it clogs up graduation ceremonies).
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    "Corbyn is a survivor."

Yep. I was saying that before the GE. He has a certain amount of stickability that is admirable.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,038

Question. Does Singaporean low-cost housing stay low cost when the first buyer moves on? A lot of people made quite a lot of money when they sold their originally discounted Council houses.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    It depends partly on whether we are heading for a rethink on Brexit (or even significant pressure for one), and Labour needs to abandon its fence sitting on the issue. Another argument for 2019.
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    edited July 2017
    IanB2 said:

It depends partly on whether we are heading for a rethink on Brexit (or even significant pressure for one), and Labour needs to abandon its fence sitting on the issue. Another argument for 2019.

Those who believe that the UK will have any significant influence on the nature of Brexit are living in la la land; the EU27 hold all the cards. It is their rulers/administrators who determine who can be a member (or associate member) of their club and on what terms.

The UK will hesitate on signing up to anything, because the charges/conditions are likely to be enormous, so it seems set for a "no deal" hard Brexit on 29/3/2019. The clock has already been ticking for over 3 months and no progress is being made, nor does there seem much prospect of any meaningful negotiations.

It will be on the Tories' watch, and Labour will mop up when the ramshackle tottering MayDup government collapses in 2019 or soon after. I don't expect any resuscitation of the Lie Downs post Brexit.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Mortimer said:

FPT:

rcs1000 said:

A good question - almost no one from my cohort bothered and the alumni department don't push it much either (as it clogs up graduation ceremonies).
    I got my MA by post
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: surprisingly, Mercedes have had to change Hamilton's gearbox. That's a five place grid penalty, so he'll probably start 6th.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40535533
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    Good article as always David, I'll follow you in for a little in 2019, on the basis that the Brexit negotiations conclude with a new Tory leader being selected over the summer and calling an election in the autumn of that year.
  • Options

That's a fascinating article, it's always good to see how other advanced countries deal with the major policy issues of the day.
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107

I've been to Punggol, a fascinating place that is growing by the day, huge tower blocks surrounded by lots of green space and a shopping mall, new schools and medical facilities. Like the rest of Singapore it is spotlessly clean, crime is virtually non existent, as is unemployment. Combine that with the low tax regime and it really is a model we should be following as I persistently say on here.

There is a reason that the governing party gets 80%, it works.
  • Options
    F1: I was checking the Ladbrokes exchange and saw something that looked tempting. It's 3.1 on every Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull to finish in the points.

On pace, that should happen. However, I decided to run through the races so far and it almost never has. One Red Bull has failed at most races, and Bottas and Raikkonen occasionally get tangled up. And it only takes one of the six to fail and the bet doesn't come off.

I was aware, of course, of the dodgy reliability of Red Bull but hadn't clocked just how poor it's been on a race-by-race basis.

Anyway, I'd only back that bet with a hedge for the Red Bull drivers, and personally I'm leaving it alone, but it's interesting how the impression one has doesn't necessarily tally with reality.

Utterly OT: Pillars of Eternity is coming out for the PS4 late next month. Might give it a look.
  • Options
    That's a good article too, good to read an impartial outsiders' view of a situation when you're in the middle of it!

Qatar is going to need to find a way forward soon though, the blockade from the rest of the GCC is hurting them a lot, with their airline losing business and imports of food and supplies much more expensive as they're having to charter boats. Lots of middle-class expats are planning on getting out quickly if normality isn't restored soon.
  • Options

F1: I was checking the Ladbrokes exchange and saw something that looked tempting. It's 3.1 on every Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull to finish in the points.

On pace, that should happen. However, I decided to run through the races so far and it almost never has. One Red Bull has failed at most races, and Bottas and Raikkonen occasionally get tangled up. And it only takes one of the six to fail and the bet doesn't come off.

I was aware, of course, of the dodgy reliability of Red Bull but hadn't clocked just how poor it's been on a race-by-race basis.

Anyway, I'd only back that bet with a hedge for the Red Bull drivers, and personally I'm leaving it alone, but it's interesting how the impression one has doesn't necessarily tally with reality.

Utterly OT: Pillars of Eternity is coming out for the PS4 late next month. Might give it a look.

Could you hedge that bet with bets on the two RBs to be unclassified?

Not really relevant to that bet but Hamilton will have a five place grid penalty, for an unscheduled gearbox change.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, you could, but the odds (3.1) are tight and you know what would happen. Bottas would fail to finish and every bet would lose.

Heard about Hamilton. Interesting odds, Vettel 2.87, Hamilton 3 for the win (Ladbrokes).

• Options
    edited July 2017

Mr. Sandpit, you could, but the odds (3.1) are tight and you know what would happen. Bottas would fail to finish and every bet would lose.

Heard about Hamilton. Interesting odds, Vettel 2.87, Hamilton 3 for the win (Ladbrokes).

You're probably right about trying to hedge that bet.

There are rumours it could be a wet wave too, which is always good to shake things up a little. That said, Lewis is value at 3 for any race I'd have thought, even if he starts 6th or 7th.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, yeah (I'd already written that in the pre-qualifying article so didn't think to mention it). Scattered thunderstorms or suchlike were forecast for Sunday, but that was a couple of days ago.

Verstappen, Hulkenberg and maybe Alonso could benefit disproportionately if it's very wet.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Charles said:

Mortimer said:

FPT:

rcs1000 said:

I got my MA by post
    I hope the postage charge and bank transfer to Nigeria wasn't too prohibitive? .... :smile:
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,763
    "Theresa May is planning to relaunch her premiership next week with a major speech on Britain’s post-Brexit future designed to put the calamitous general election behind her.
    May is planning two interventions, including a speech on a date yet to be set, in an attempt to drag the conversation back to her pre-election agenda of economic and social reform to make Brexit work for ordinary families, according to a senior government official familiar with the plan.

The PM wants to “put a bracket around the campaign” and move on, the official said.

The move is likely to be seen as an attempt to reassert “Mayism” in the face of Jeremy Corbyn’s left-wing populism and pressure from within the Conservative Party to adopt more traditional free-market policies.

Inside Downing Street, there is concern that the election result forced the Brexit debate back onto questions of process — principally whether to go for a hard or a soft Brexit — which they hoped to have put to bed after outlining plans for a clean break with Brussels, leaving the single market and the customs union.

May has insisted that her plan to negotiate a “deep and special partnership” with the EU within the next 18 months — including a free-trade deal, customs agreement and “implementation phase” — remains intact."

----

What happens when there's no “deep and special partnership” with the EU within 18 months, as there surely won't be? We're not talking the dim and distant future?

http://www.politico.eu/article/theresa-may-relaunch-after-election-fiasco-conservatives/
  • Options
    FF43 said:

"Theresa May is planning to relaunch her premiership next week with a major speech on Britain’s post-Brexit future designed to put the calamitous general election behind her.
    May is planning two interventions, including a speech on a date yet to be set, in an attempt to drag the conversation back to her pre-election agenda of economic and social reform to make Brexit work for ordinary families, according to a senior government official familiar with the plan.

The PM wants to “put a bracket around the campaign” and move on, the official said.

The move is likely to be seen as an attempt to reassert “Mayism” in the face of Jeremy Corbyn’s left-wing populism and pressure from within the Conservative Party to adopt more traditional free-market policies.

Inside Downing Street, there is concern that the election result forced the Brexit debate back onto questions of process — principally whether to go for a hard or a soft Brexit — which they hoped to have put to bed after outlining plans for a clean break with Brussels, leaving the single market and the customs union.

May has insisted that her plan to negotiate a “deep and special partnership” with the EU within the next 18 months — including a free-trade deal, customs agreement and “implementation phase” — remains intact."

----

What happens when there's no “deep and special partnership” with the EU within 18 months, as there surely won't be? We're not talking the dim and distant future?

http://www.politico.eu/article/theresa-may-relaunch-after-election-fiasco-conservatives/

I’ve heard it said that if something goes wrong it takes ten equal actions to get it back to where it was!
  • Options
    Re my previous post, I would interpret that as Mrs May hitching her wagon to the Davies faction in the cabinet infighting.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    FF43 said:

It was put to bed. Her plans for a clean break were offered to the electorate, who promptly told her where to stick them
  • Options

Mr. Sandpit, yeah (I'd already written that in the pre-qualifying article so didn't think to mention it). Scattered thunderstorms or suchlike were forecast for Sunday, but that was a couple of days ago.

Verstappen, Hulkenberg and maybe Alonso could benefit disproportionately if it's very wet.

Yes, a wet race is a great leveller of car performance, so expect the best drivers and team strategists to prevail. I'll have another look around later but there's not too much that excites me on the F1 betting markets so far.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

FF43 said:

It was put to bed. Her plans for a clean break were offered to the electorate, who promptly told her where to stick them
    Wouldn’t be a lot easier to just do what everyone else does, have another referendum and get a Remain vote? Then we could all get on with things and not have all this faffing about.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Charles said:

Mortimer said:

FPT:

rcs1000 said:

I got my MA by post
    I hope the postage charge and bank transfer to Nigeria wasn't too prohibitive? .... :smile:
    I had my manservant deliver it by hand.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749
    O/T again , sorry...
    RobD said:

Completely O/T but can anyone give any advice as to why I can logon to PB to comment from my macbook no problem but if I try to logon from my imac or iphone, I put in my username and password, press enter, the screen refreshes with no error but I am not logged on?

Totally baffled. Just concerned you guys are all missing out on my wise and witty contributions whenever I am not on my macbook :smiley:

Try logging on via the Vanilla site. That might make it stick

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/5206/politicalbetting-com-blog-archive-it-looks-like-david-davis-will-ensure-the-brexit-delivered-is/p1
    Thanks but I tried that - it made no difference.

I am going to try logging off then on again with the 'remember me' set to no. So if you never see Benpointer again you know it didn't work. (But look out for Benpointer2.)
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    FF43 said:

----

Maybot rebooting...

I imagine the speeches will.be savaged in the press and undermined within her own party next week. The sharks have smelt the blood in the water...
  • Options

O/T again , sorry...

RobD said:

Completely O/T but can anyone give any advice as to why I can logon to PB to comment from my macbook no problem but if I try to logon from my imac or iphone, I put in my username and password, press enter, the screen refreshes with no error but I am not logged on?

Totally baffled. Just concerned you guys are all missing out on my wise and witty contributions whenever I am not on my macbook :smiley:

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/5206/politicalbetting-com-blog-archive-it-looks-like-david-davis-will-ensure-the-brexit-delivered-is/p1

I am going to try logging off then on again with the 'remember me' set to no. So if you never see Benpointer again you know it didn't work. (But look out for Benpointer2.)

O/T again , sorry...

RobD said:

It could also be a keyboard issue on your computer. Try typing the passwords in plain text on both machines and check they're the same.
  • Options

O/T again , sorry...

RobD said:

PB works on my laptop, and android phone, but not my imac. No idea why...
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Sandpit said:

O/T again , sorry...

RobD said:

O/T again , sorry...

RobD said:

It could also be a keyboard issue on your computer. Try typing the passwords in plain text on both machines and check they're the same.
    For months I had a similar problem with my iPad - I couldnt log on since same problem Ben is having happened to me every time. The way round it was to reset the password after which I was logged in again, for several hours at least, but once or twice a day it would log me out and the problem would reoccur. The good news is that after a few months or so it resolved, but unfortunately I don't know what I did to stop it. My PC was fine throughout so it must be something to do with iPads and Phones?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

----

18 months is the quite "distant future" compared to expectations of May's political life expectancy a few weeks back.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

O/T again , sorry...

RobD said:

Just concerned you guys are all missing out on my wise and witty contributions whenever I am not on my macbook :smiley:

O/T again , sorry...

RobD said:

For months I had a similar problem with my iPad - I couldnt log on since same problem Ben is having happened to me every time. The way round it was to reset the password after which I was logged in again, for several hours at least, but once or twice a day it would log me out and the problem would reoccur. The good news is that after a few months or so it resolved, but unfortunately I don't know what I did to stop it. My PC was fine throughout so it must be something to do with iPads and Phones?
    Ok thanks guys - it's a complete bloody mystery but PB will only let me logon from my macbook. Life's too short - I can live with it. Thanks anyway!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    FF43 said:

----

If May is going back to the JAMs, this time she is going to need some fruit.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

I've been to Punggol, a fascinating place that is growing by the day, huge tower blocks surrounded by lots of green space and a shopping mall, new schools and medical facilities. Like the rest of Singapore it is spotlessly clean, crime is virtually non existent, as is unemployment. Combine that with the low tax regime and it really is a model we should be following as I persistently say on here.

Quite authoritarian in many ways. Little private market, quotas for ethnic groups, incentives to live near parents. No siubsidies for single people, no gay or single parent families. It works, up to a point, lowest fertility rate in the world means demographic timebomb or constant immigration.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

FF43 said:

That might be the case, had they not voted for someone else who also advocates a clean break.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

O/T again , sorry...

RobD said:

A few people have said similar things ,and I'm not sure we ever had a definitive answer. I've got a Mac, an iPad and an iPhone and never had a problem on any of them. Maybe I'm just a lucky IT guy ;)
  • Options

Quite authoritarian in many ways. Little private market, quotas for ethnic groups, incentives to live near parents. No siubsidies for single people, no gay or single parent families. It works, up to a point, lowest fertility rate in the world means demographic timebomb or constant immigration.
    @freetochoose: If you like it that much why not just go and live there?!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

FF43 said:

That might be the case, had they not voted for someone else who also advocates a clean break.
    Increasingly people want Starmer negotiating Brexit, not the Tories.

I do too. Negotiations would go much better without the jingoist bullshit.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

It's silly to say the economic system of a small city state should apply to our much larger country with a significant rural population.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

O/T again , sorry...

RobD said:

A few people have said similar things ,and I'm not sure we ever had a definitive answer. I've got a Mac, an iPad and an iPhone and never had a problem on any of them. Maybe I'm just a lucky IT guy ;)
    It's a bit perplexing. Normally the Apple stuff integrates brilliantly which is why I am a convert - passwords remembered across devices etc. But something is amiss here.

Still it's a first-world problem I guess. I'll console myself that at least the country is in great shape and headed in the right direction. Oh...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

FF43 said:

Will May and Davies still claim they will negotiate a full and comprehensive trade treaty one week before Brexit? Will they say, shucks, EEA and customs union is what it will be? Or, oops, we didn't get that right, never mind, there's plenty of space on the M20 for the lorries to queue?

Downing Street are in full on Comical Ali.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

FF43 said:

Absolutely. We don't need the Brexit bulldog bullshit.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Really?

The latest Corbyn position is "all the benefits of the single market"
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    daodao said:

IanB2 said:

Those who believe that the UK will have any significant influence on the nature of Brexit are living in la la land; the EU27 hold all the cards. It is their rulers/administrators who determine who can be a member (or associate member) of their club and on what terms.

The UK will hesitate on signing up to anything, because the charges/conditions are likely to be enormous, so it seems set for a "no deal" hard Brexit on 29/3/2019. The clock has already been ticking for over 3 months and no progress is being made, nor does there seem much prospect of any meaningful negotiations.

It will be on the Tories' watch, and Labour will mop up when the ramshackle tottering MayDup government collapses in 2019 or soon after. I don't expect any resuscitation of the Lie Downs post Brexit.
    I disagree, we hold 10 billion cards
  • Options
    Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

Mortimer said:

FPT:

rcs1000 said:

I got my MA by post
    I was sure it was so but you know how these ugly rumours begin ....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Mortimer said:

Really?

Mortimer's is a debating point of relatively low value. Labour is the opposition, and they gathered in votes from people opposed to the government. Their job is to oppose May's approach, and they will be able to be flexible in doing so.
  • Options

Hope you had an excellent day yesterday?

• Options
    Great attacking play from the Lions.
  • Options
    Wondering if Tory Leavers really intended a UK out of EU, free from any constraints, led by Corbyn using that freedom to pursue a socialist economic agenda.

• Options
    And better attacking play from the ABs.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Terrific thanks Jack, I was in a box with free food and drink, and Graeme Pollock was with us.

Had the bonus of Stuart Broad's innings too
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

FF43 said:

What a load of guff. Labour astroturfers want something that can't happen because the voters preferred the Tories.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

FF43 said:

They do? Has the 'party trusted on brexit' polling changed significantly?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Farrell having a bit of a mare so far
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

Terrific thanks Jack, I was in a box with free food and drink, and Graeme Pollock was with us.

Very good. :smile:
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Jonathan said:

Wondering if Tory Leavers really intended a UK out of EU, free from any constraints, led by Corbyn using that freedom to pursue a socialist economic agenda.

You don't get this democracy thing do you?

A Corbyn government will only last 5 years (if that).
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

Mortimer said:

Really?

Mortimer's is a debating point of relatively low value. Labour is the opposition, and they gathered in votes from people opposed to the government. Their job is to oppose May's approach, and they will be able to be flexible in doing so.
    But it is a meme that keeps being spread, 85% of people endorsed May's had Brexit plans. It's nonsense because Labour's Brexit plans was a vacuous have cake and eat it approach - there is nothing concrete in it to stick on to May's mandate.

The majority of voters also voted for parties that support granting unilateral rights to EU citizens, yet May hasn't offered that - you can't cherry pick which parts of the opposition manifestos count and which don't.

Finally, if you want to use that 85% figure, you need to have a cross party Brexit - why did the tories not approach Labour and say "let's form a national Brexit government as we are clearly aligned on this issue". They had the chance and decided not to.
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

There are certainly worse days out to be had ;)
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    nunu said:

Jonathan said:

McDonnell isn't stupid - if they get in, there will not be sweeping revolution early enough in the first term for negative effects to be seen. The foundations will be laid for it, but I think the first term will be mild with a couple of headline socialist policies to keep the base on board. The goal will be to win at least a second term where they can really go to town.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    Good article. Generally best to bet against rapid change, and in this case certainly so.
  • Options

nunu said:

Jonathan said:

McDonnell isn't stupid - if they get in, there will not be sweeping revolution early enough in the first term for negative effects to be seen. The foundations will be laid for it, but I think the first term will be mild with a couple of headline socialist policies to keep the base on board. The goal will be to win at least a second term where they can really go to town.
    Corbyn has already dragged the Overton window so far to the left that Tory cabinet ministers are lining up to dump austerity.

Give him a couple more years in opposition and five years in power and the post-Brexit UK could be a very different place.
  • Options

nunu said:

Jonathan said:

That was certainly Gordon Brown's MO, the spending didn't really start until 2001 - but he had the luxury of starting from a landslide in '97.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Mortimer said:

Really?

Haven't you noticed by now? Corbyn says whatever he needs to win power. The position is he will "try" to negeotiate the same benefits, but I doubt he will try very hard.

Like Trump when he said " everyone will have great healthcare".

Trump was very careful not to say Medicare/aid for all or insurance for all just that it will be "great".

Now that he has won power he is stripping healthcare from 24 million people and they will get "great" healthcare from A&E, and Corbyn needs to come out of the single market and customs union in order to give state aid to the re-nationalised companies so will say whatever he needs to for now to keep labour REMAINERS on side before betraying them. You need to read Corbyn's words very very carefully. He is very dangerous.

Anyone who thinks Corbyn and Mcdonnell are soft Brexiteers haven't been paying enough attention.
  • Options

nunu said:

Jonathan said:

I think business investment really will grind to a halt, in a way it didn't after BREXIT. Because the businesses will know the taxes and regulation are coming down the line.

Also I expect emigration will become a hot topic in Britain before the first five years is up.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    I see that PB has found a new pointless circular argument du jour; what Labour's position on Brexit is.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

FF43 said:

Not resolved one way or the other. The choice is what it always has been: minimum change or minimum agreement. It's well past time to face up to that choice. It could go either way. One thing that certainly won't happen is what Davies/May claim is going to happen: a deep free trade agreement before we leave in 18 months time, with the EU or anyone else.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    edited July 2017
    I would have thought Corbyn will survive until 2022 on present trends never mind 2019 given he will almost certainly lead Labour into the next general election and the Tories will not call another general election unless opinion polls give them a lead well over the 2% they got in June and the DUP will likely continue to support the Tories for the rest of the Parliament in return for the huge bung Northern Ireland has been given
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,019
    nunu said:

Anyone who thinks Corbyn and Mcdonnell are soft Brexiteers haven't been paying enough attention.

It really doesn't matter what Corbyn says on the matter of Brexit. If he pivoted to Titanium Brexit or to wiping his arse on A50 and Remaining his ship of fools would still love him for it and pretend that was what they wanted all along. Brexit in any form or not at all is inconsequential to the Corbyn project and he knows it which is why his utterances on the matter are principally characterised by expedience and ambiguity.

People who think he will be "found out" over his multitudinous positioning on Brexit are kidding themselves. It's this month's version of the hope that the voters will fuck him off over his longstanding PIRA fan boi antics.
  • Options
    Does anyone else think the 15 available on Betfair for SA to win the Test is good value?
    It only takes one old fashioned England 2nd innings collapse after all.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

Mortimer said:

FPT:

rcs1000 said:

I got my MA by post
    I was sure it was so but you know how these ugly rumours begin ....
    I can assure you that I am not Tony Blair!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugly_Rumours_(band)
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Corbyn's rise really has nothing to do with Brexit, after all he won the 2016 local elections before Brexit but lost the 2017 local and general elections after Brexit. His rise is the same anti austerity, anti financial sector movement seen in Greece with Tsipras, France with Melenchon, Spain with Podemos and the US with Sanders. Indeed it was the dementia tax and police and nurses pay and opposition to tuition fees which gave him his biggest boost in the campaign
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

nunu said:

Jonathan said:

Corbyn has already dragged the Overton window so far to the left that Tory cabinet ministers are lining up to dump austerity.

Give him a couple more years in opposition and five years in power and the post-Brexit UK could be a very different place.
    Yes, Cuba without the sunshine!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Does anyone else think the 15 available on Betfair for SA to win the Test is good value?

Sandpit said:

Think I would want longer than that to be honest.

They are 240 behind with only De Kock to come, I cannot really envisage them being in a winning position to be able to trade out of, just my opinion though

Laying the draw at 4.2 looks the best bet to me
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I would have thought Corbyn will survive until 2022 on present trends never mind 2019 given he will almost certainly lead Labour into the next general election and the Tories will not call another general election unless opinion polls give them a lead well over the 2% they got in June and the DUP will likely continue to support the Tories for the rest of the Parliament in return for the huge bung Northern Ireland has been given

Agreed.

(I agreed with HYUFD?!- the end of the world must be nigh!)
  • Options
    Good news for May at the G20, Trump says a US UK trade deal will happen 'very quickly' and Chinese President Xi Jinping hails a 'golden era' in UK China relations and says continued Chinese investment in the UK shows its confidence in post Brexit Britain
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40540340
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Agreed.

(I agreed with HYUFD?!- the end of the world must be nigh!)
    Shock, but thanks
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,882
    HYUFD said:

Good news for May at the G20, Trump says a US UK trade deal will happen 'very quickly' and Chinese President Xi Jinping hails a 'golden era' in UK China relations and says continued Chinese investment in the UK shows its confidence in post Brexit Britain

Did this week mark Peak Put The Mockers On Brexit? ;)
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

They are 240 behind with only De Kock to come, I cannot really envisage them being in a winning position to be able to trade out of, just my opinion though

Laying the draw is always a good bet if there's not a washout forecast. Very few Test matches these days play through five full days.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

That cant be right? Surely Britain's been "shunned" and May "humiliated"? That's what the script said...
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

I think so. Of course we'll continue to have some great arguments on here with people claiming Labour's manifesto didn't say what it said, and this means we should stay in the Single Market / stay in the Customs Union / have another referendum / call the whole thing off.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

nunu said:

Jonathan said:

Yes, Cuba without the sunshine!
    I appreciate this is (probably!) tongue-in-cheek but it is symptomatic of the way the Tories mishandle Corbyn through hyperbole.

All talk of Venezuela, Cuba and Jezza being a jihadist or a dyed-in-the-wool Stalinist who will usher in the Soviet Rebublic of Britain are bound to backfire during because during any campaign the population get to see and hear him and the policies he propounds first-hand, and many like what they see.

But tbh I don't think the Mail, Sun, Torygraph or indeed the Tory party are likely to understand that any time soon, so I suspect they will inadvertently help bring to pass the very thing they most fear.

Strange old world, isn't it?

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

It usually is but this is a good wicket and it will be a pleasant surprise if England are batting again before tea on day 3. Add in the abysmal over rates and a new captain cautious about a declaration and a draw still looks a real possibility to me.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

HYUFD said:

That cant be right? Surely Britain's been "shunned" and May "humiliated"? That's what the script said...
    Theresa no mates is over there looking like the odd one out, some platitudes from Trump and China wanting to own the UK do not make thi sdump any better. Certainly will not tempt tax exiles like you to return UK and pay your way for sure.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Good news for May at the G20, Trump says a US UK trade deal will happen 'very quickly'

@GuardianAnushka: .will be a very, very big deal a very powerful deal, great for both countries and I think we will have that done very, very quickly." (2/2)

@pswidlicki: Obamacare will be repealed and replaced. … great health care for a fraction of the price. Immediately. Fast. Quick. twitter.com/GuardianAnushk…
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

It usually is but this is a good wicket and it will be a pleasant surprise if England are batting again before tea on day 3. Add in the abysmal over rates and a new captain cautious about a declaration and a draw still looks a real possibility to me.
    David, are England doing well at the rounders
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

The upside and the downside of Brexit have always been massively overstated. We are likely to be marginally worse off in the short term with the medium to long term dependent upon what we make of it but the difference will be small enough for economists to be arguing about indefinitely.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Good news indeed.

My approach to a trade deal with the US would be multi-phased, starting with services and high value goods with international standards (cars, planes, microchips) before moving to the trickier items like agriculture and pharmaceuticals later.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Good news for May at the G20, Trump says a US UK trade deal will happen 'very quickly'

@GuardianAnushka: .will be a very, very big deal a very powerful deal, great for both countries and I think we will have that done very, very quickly." (2/2)

@pswidlicki: Obamacare will be repealed and replaced. … great health care for a fraction of the price. Immediately. Fast. Quick. twitter.com/GuardianAnushk…
    Obamacare's replacement has now passed the House and will shortly pass the Senate
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

That's what the Americans play Malcolm. The English are playing the best thing to come out of the British empire.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Cheap shot, fundamentally different.

Obamacare caught up in House and Senate politics / reelection risk.

Trade treaty only needs to be approved by the Senate - broadly favourable disposition towards the UK, not a salient issue for most voters and, given the similarities in the economic structure unlikely to lead to mass job exporting. I'd expect that a deal would be approved pretty quickly once negotiated.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Better not tell William Glenn!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Good news indeed.

My approach to a trade deal with the US would be multi-phased, starting with services and high value goods with international standards (cars, planes, microchips) before moving to the trickier items like agriculture and pharmaceuticals later.
    LOL, you lot are easily taken in , Trump spouts some guff and you are dancing in the streets, mental.
  • Options
    Lions with a temporary man advantage and only a three point deficit, this is going to be a great half hour of rugby.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

That's what the Americans play Malcolm. The English are playing the best thing to come out of the British empire.
    Indeed it also incorporates, around 3.40, the second best thing to come out of the empire...
This discussion has been closed.