Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Well if this Brexit polling turns out to be a harbinger of fut

SystemSystem Posts: 11,698
edited July 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Well if this Brexit polling turns out to be a harbinger of future polling then the 4/1 might be value

Iff this @Survation poll with a 9% lead for Remain turns out not to be an outlier but the start of a trend, what will this mean for Brexit? pic.twitter.com/dMxkLBfhwW

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196
    Okay, first.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,293
    As I have been saying. We aren't going to leave imho.

There will be a change of heart as the chaotic negotiations drag on and on and it is clear that real economic damage has started e.g. investment drying up, jobs going etc etc.
  • Options
    The trouble with these bets is you are lending the bookies the money for at least 2 years.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    edited July 2017
    If we had another referendum before we left, the rest of the world would be entitled to laugh at us
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,556

There will be a change of heart as the chaotic negotiations drag on and on and it is clear that real economic damage has started e.g. investment drying up, jobs going etc etc.

My view is the quicker we Leave, the quicker we rejoin, so get a move on Theresa, DD, and Liam Fox.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Good afternoon, everything.

This sounds like the sort of a bet a handsome young morris dancer mentioned only the other day :p
  • Options

Good afternoon, everything.

This sounds like the sort of a bet a handsome young morris dancer mentioned only the other day :p

:+1:
  • Options
    isam said:

If we had another referendum before we left, the rest of the world would be entitled to laugh at us

I think they may already be chortling their collective heads off.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,957
    isam said:

We're way past that point already.

• Options
    edited July 2017

isam said:

I doubt it., but they would if we didn't implement the result before asking the question again. The kind of thing that only happens to little countries

Forget that its the EU issue and I have a view. If we have a referendum on anything and reverse before implementing the decision it is bad.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

isam said:

Bit late there. Anyway the rest of the world isn't laughing at us. Maybe the foreign equivalents of our Remain inclined media are
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    I see we're back to believing polls

• Options

Well I did say Iff plus it is from the Gold Standard pollster Survation.

I've written a thread to be published in the next few days about George Osborne, and it includes a quote from Alan Brooke, I hope this doesn't trigger you.

Must dash, this weather is wonderful.
  • Options

My view is the quicker we Leave, the quicker we rejoin, so get a move on Theresa, DD, and Liam Fox.
    Probably one of your dafter posts

how do we rejoin, certainly not on our current terms and we're forever damaged goods
  • Options

how do we rejoin, certainly not on our current terms and we're forever damaged goods
    We rejoin on poorer terms, and it'll be a bit like the lease of Hong Kong, a 99 year deal and and a penalty fee for early release, say one trillion euros per year for every year we leave early.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

I've written a thread to be published in the next few days about George Osborne, and it includes a quote from Alan Brooke, I hope this doesn't trigger you.

ah yes the king beyond the water will stroll back in to Parliament and be met a room of happy faeces
  • Options

We rejoin on poorer terms, and it'll be a bit like the lease of Hong Kong, a 99 year deal and and a penalty fee for early release, say one trillion euros per year for every year we leave early.
    you jest, but the terms will certainly be poorer and whos going to vote for that ?

oh wait we wont get a vote will we ?
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

I doubt it., but they would if we didn't implement the result before asking the question again. The kind of thing that only happens to little countries

Forget that its the EU issue and I have a view. If we have a referendum on anything and reverse before implementing the decision it is bad.
    If there's another referendum before we've left, I'll be spoiling my ballot paper. I would encourage all leavers to do the same.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    tlg86 said:

isam said:

isam said:

If there's another referendum before we've left, I'll be spoiling my ballot paper. I would encourage all leavers to do the same.
    So would I, overwhelming Remain victory! :)
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    tlg86 said:

isam said:

isam said:

Maybe the reason Cameron quit and threw the country into more instability than was necessary was precisely because it would cause more instabilty? Then people might panic and somehow we'd be forced back in.

We see his disciples arousal when there is bad news for the country, maybe they are following the leader
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,770
    Any decision to cancel Brexit, or to put the question to plebiscite will be done on partisan grounds. Assuming the Conservatives are still in office, it will depend on a majority of CONSERVATIVES being in favour of remaining. In this survey it is 33% - so a long way to go. If there is a coalition not controlled by Conservatives, it could be interesting.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,319
    isam said:

tlg86 said:

isam said:

isam said:

Maybe the reason Cameron quit and threw the country into more instability than was necessary was precisely because it would cause more instabilty? Then people might panic and somehow we'd been forced back in.

We see his disciples arousal when there is bad news for the country, maybe they are following the leader
    You think Dave should have continued as PM? That surprises me. I didn't think you rated him.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    isam said:

isam said:

Bit late there. Anyway the rest of the world isn't laughing at us. Maybe the foreign equivalents of our Remain inclined media are

They're laughing at us. We're not viewed as a serious country. Looking at the state of the government and the opposition that seems fair enough.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=liberation+brexit+boris&prmd=inv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_neCl4urUAhVBb1AKHZMGCEAQ_AUICSgB&biw=375&bih=559#imgrc=sQVuB-VFu76A-M:

• Options
    edited July 2017

isam said:

isam said:

They're laughing at us. We're not viewed as a serious country. Looking at the state of the government and the opposition that seems fair enough.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=liberation+brexit+boris&prmd=inv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_neCl4urUAhVBb1AKHZMGCEAQ_AUICSgB&biw=375&bih=559#imgrc=sQVuB-VFu76A-M:

Yes, maybe the foreign equivalents of our Remain inclined media are. Haven't you provided an example of that with "Liberation"?
  • Options
    Looks like we're going to see what macron's made of - Left warming up for a fight

http://www.lefigaro.fr/politique/2017/07/01/01002-20170701LIVWWW00037-en-direct-le-fil-politique-du-week-end-des-1er-et-2-juillet-2017.php

Le chef de file de la France insoumise expose sa stratégie dans une interview au Journal du Dimanche. "L'opposition sera globale et frontale. Mais surtout nous serons une opposition qui argumente et propose afin de convaincre", promet-il au sujet de la réforme du Code du travail qui sera menée par ordonnances. Estimant qu'il n'y a rien à "négocier", il prévient : "Nous ne lâcherons rien. Nous informerons, nous mobiliserons. S'il le faut, nous appellerons nous-mêmes à des mobilisations populaires avec la jeunesse et dans les quartiers."
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Yes, maybe the foreign equivalents of our Remain inclined media are

It goes beyond that, sadly.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Regular polling of 54:46 in favour of Remain doesn't justify a fresh referendum.

If it headed towards 2:1, that might be more interesting.
  • Options

isam said:

tlg86 said:

isam said:

isam said:

Maybe the reason Cameron quit and threw the country into more instability than was necessary was precisely because it would cause more instabilty? Then people might panic and somehow we'd been forced back in.

You think Dave should have continued as PM? That surprises me. I didn't think you rated him.
    I wasn't a massive fan of him, didnt vote for him, but didn't/don't hate him. I think he should have stayed on, because it cant be denied that Brexit is an upheaval for the country, and we don't need the extra uncertainty he placed on us.
  • Options

Looks like we're going to see what macron's made of - Left warming up for a fight

http://www.lefigaro.fr/politique/2017/07/01/01002-20170701LIVWWW00037-en-direct-le-fil-politique-du-week-end-des-1er-et-2-juillet-2017.php

Le chef de file de la France insoumise expose sa stratégie dans une interview au Journal du Dimanche. "L'opposition sera globale et frontale. Mais surtout nous serons une opposition qui argumente et propose afin de convaincre", promet-il au sujet de la réforme du Code du travail qui sera menée par ordonnances. Estimant qu'il n'y a rien à "négocier", il prévient : "Nous ne lâcherons rien. Nous informerons, nous mobiliserons. S'il le faut, nous appellerons nous-mêmes à des mobilisations populaires avec la jeunesse et dans les quartiers."

The French know exactly what they voted for, but this is an inevitable part of the reform process.

• Options
    edited July 2017

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Well you would say that, and I obviously would dispute it. Every foreign person that isn't laughing at us disproves your claim, googling left leaning pro EU journals doesn't prove it.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Anyway. Not many people are expecting Brexit to be a "success", it seems. It will either be catastrophic, crap, fake or stolen, according to your starting point.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Well you would say that, and I obviously would dispute it. Every foreign person that isn't laughing at us disproves your claim, googling left leaning pro EU journals doesn't prove it.

Of course. I wouldn't call the Wall Street Journal left-leaning, though. But, to be fair, it's not actually laughing at us:
    https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/now-britain-not-france-risks-being-sick-man-of-europe-1497461230
  • Options
    Mr. 43, or difficult in the short-term, and good in the long-term.

When a grand edifice is destined to tumble, it's better to be outside it than within.

Mr. Meeks, indeed.

However, that also creates a potential problem. if polls shift to, say, 58:42, the EU might start trying to give us the worst possible deal to force a second referendum. If it doesn't happen *or* we vote to leave again, that could then see us leave without any deal.

That was always the problem with the Lib Dem position of a second referendum where we either accept the deal or stay in. It created a strong incentive for the EU to try and give us the worst terms possible to influence the electorate, rather than to try and create a good, long-term relationship.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Of course. I wouldn't call the Wall Street Journal left-leaning, though. But, to be fair, it's not actually laughing at us:
    https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/now-britain-not-france-risks-being-sick-man-of-europe-1497461230
    To be fair you are right, it's not!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

No, it's calling us hubristic and strongly implying we're stupid! Obviously, that's much better than being laughed at!!

• Options

Mr. 43, or difficult in the short-term, and good in the long-term.

When a grand edifice is destined to tumble, it's better to be outside it than within.

We will be very smug to have got out first if the grand edifice does tumble, although the tumble is a problem in itself. The overwhelming probability however is that we find ourselves outside the EU, which is still there, with a much bigger EU headache than we had while we were still in.

• Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Regular polling of 54:46 in favour of Remain doesn't justify a fresh referendum.

Hypothetically what could cause a significant shift *before* we leave the EU?

Even if you assume the absolute worst worst case scenario happens when we leave - I'm far from convinced that the public will be convinced that things will really be that bad.

Once we've left I can see how opinions could shift in either direction and settle. But before? I don't really see why people would change their mind.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Even if you assume the absolute worst worst case scenario happens when we leave - I'm far from convinced that the public will be convinced that things will really be that bad.

Once we've left I can see how opinions could shift in either direction and settle. But before? I don't really see why people would change their mind.

Businesses will make decisions ahead if formal Brexit, depending on how the negotiations are going.

• Options
    edited July 2017

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

No, it's calling us hubristic and strongly implying we're stupid!

Sounds like they've been reading the PB Remainer book on how to accept defeat!

They're entitled to their opinion. But the rest of the world isn't laughing at us. Most big business, media etc are pro EU type organisations. I don't think citing them being critical of our decision is evidence of the whole world laughing at us. I think the average man in the street is disturbed by stories of foreign governments ignoring referendums that they dont agree with though.
  • Options

No, it's calling us hubristic and strongly implying we're stupid! Obviously, that's much better than being laughed at!!

Yet it begins by acknowledging that the conventional wisdom on how a country's economy will do in future is often wrong/countries can change and improve.

Brexit will be a drag on our economy other things being equal - but I do think better economic policy-making has the potential to more than make up for it. I doubt we can get that from TM though.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,319
    FF43 said:

Anyway. Not many people are expecting Brexit to be a "success", it seems. It will either be catastrophic, crap, fake or stolen, according to your starting point.

Yes, the initial euphoria has certainly receded, as has the assertion that it will be an effortless flick of the switch to utopia. Brexit's supporters are now showing something of public-school mentality - it'll be a long and gruelling obstacle course, but we'll come out better men the other side simply for having done it.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,327
    edited July 2017

isam said:

isam said:

Friend just returned from France and quite unsolicited tells me that the French she spoke to exhibited a mixture of bewilderment, incredulity and amusement at our decision. We're not talking just about the usual media suspects here, but ordinary everyday working folk.

I doubt things are very different throughout the rest of Europe (unless you count the Russians, who think Brexit is great.)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited July 2017
    Froome gone down....now back up...heart in mouth...Team Sky going to have to work him back.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

If it happens, and I agree we're a long way from it, I think it would be a perception that Brexit is much more hassle than it is worth rather than the outcome is objectively a disaster. So it ends up in the "too difficult" basket. Indeed the hassle factor is huge and benefits tiny. But there is a momentum to Brexit. The referendum result and the Article 50 process itself are very powerful forces.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Yes, the initial euphoria has certainly receded, as has the assertion that it will be an effortless flick of the switch to utopia. Brexit's supporters are now showing something of public-school mentality - it'll be a long and gruelling obstacle course, but we'll come out better men the other side simply for having done it.
    If I recall correctly it was a bunch of public school idiots who have got us into this mess.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

It's not left leaning but it's the equvilant of the Financial Times. Like The Times it is sort of Tory West Oxfordshire Remain type.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Friend just returned from France and quite unsolicited tells me that the French she spoke to exhibited a mixture of bewilderment, incredulity and amusement at our decision. We're not talking just about the usual media suspects here, but ordinary everyday working folk.

I doubt things are very different throughout the rest of Europe (unless you count the Russians, who think Brexit is great.)
    The French public who voted in significant numbers for Le Pen, and who want a referendum themselves?

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/04/majority-of-french-voters-want-an-eu-referendum-citi.html
  • Options
    Mr. 43, the situation is not a good one.

However, consider the alternatives. The eurozone has a critical mass on QMV. Banking union has, I believe, already occurred, and monetary union happened already. There is now talk, denied pre-referendum, of an EU Army. The other natural integration step is fiscal union.

You might argue that the UK has significant opt-outs, would retain those, and would not join the single currency or be compelled to do so. Let us assume that is correct. We surrendered a swathe of vetoes when Brown reneged upon his manifesto commitment for a referendum and signed Lisbon (ironically, bringing into effect the very mechanism that allowed us to leave). In every area of QMV we are unable to determine our own destiny, and a great number, the overwhelming majority, of EU countries have the single currency's interests at heart. They can, and will, act in that interest and we cannot prevent that in any area of QMV.

Or consider the EU Army. Would we join it? Doubtful. But if the EU determines EU funds should be provided to sustain and supply the new armed force (which would seem to needlessly duplicate NATO...), could we possibly prevent this, and could we prevent billions of pounds being used for this purpose?

Without any new treaties, or any signing away of more power, we could, and would, find ourselves ever more at the whim of the EU.

And this is assuming everything trundles along. It doesn't assume the migrant crisis causes the resurgence in nationalism (we'd have a far right Austrian president if there hadn't been Tower Hamlets turnout levels for his opponent in the original election) that divides things. It doesn't assume the EU collapses in the near future (I think the EU will crumble but that it will take a while).

I'm not delighted by where we find ourselves. But the alternatives are, to my mind, worse. By leaving, we at least regain democratic accountability and become masters of our own destiny. Ceding authority to the unaccountable in an artificial federation that has no unifying culture or identity but has been concocted by ideologically driven bureaucrats is no way for an advanced nation to conduct its affairs.

Sorry, bit rambly.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

rkrkrk said:

If it happens, and I agree we're a long way from it, I think it would be a perception that Brexit is much more hassle than it is worth rather than the outcome is objectively a disaster. So it ends up in the "too difficult" basket. Indeed the hassle factor is huge and benefits tiny. But there is a momentum to Brexit. The referendum result and the Article 50 process itself are very powerful forces.
    More than that who's fronting Remain ?

No-one

• Options

rkrkrk said:

Businesses will make decisions ahead if formal Brexit, depending on how the negotiations are going.

They may make decisions - but will the effects of those decisions be felt?

For instance - they may decide not to open a new office in London, but instead expand in Dublin. But even if that happens - it's hard to notice that, and harder still to notice it before it has happened.

If we saw some kind of mass exodus of jobs before Brexit I could believe that would be noticed- but that doesn't seem very likely to me. It would involve businesses taking an enormous gamble that negotiations will turn out badly...
  • Options
    Immigration has fallen down "the most important issues" index and was not brought up much during the last GE.

I wonder if the E.U vote was a release valve for people to express their (understandable) frustrations on the issue, and now some pressure has been released will be deflated as an issue?
  • Options
    nunu said:

Immigration has fallen down "the most important issues" index and was not brought up much during the last GE.

I wonder if the E.U vote was a release valve for people to express their (understandable) frustrations on the issue, and now some pressure has been released will be deflated as an issue?

Alternatively it could be that other issues have become more pressing and overtaken it?
  • Options
    nunu said:

I suspect the change in exchange rate will slow down immigration, it's no longer as profitble to come here.
  • Options

Mr. 43, the situation is not a good one.

However, consider the alternatives. The eurozone has a critical mass on QMV. Banking union has, I believe, already occurred, and monetary union happened already. There is now talk, denied pre-referendum, of an EU Army. The other natural integration step is fiscal union.

You might argue that the UK has significant opt-outs, would retain those, and would not join the single currency or be compelled to do so. Let us assume that is correct. We surrendered a swathe of vetoes when Brown reneged upon his manifesto commitment for a referendum and signed Lisbon (ironically, bringing into effect the very mechanism that allowed us to leave). In every area of QMV we are unable to determine our own destiny, and a great number, the overwhelming majority, of EU countries have the single currency's interests at heart. They can, and will, act in that interest and we cannot prevent that in any area of QMV.

Or consider the EU Army. Would we join it? Doubtful. But if the EU determines EU funds should be provided to sustain and supply the new armed force (which would seem to needlessly duplicate NATO...), could we possibly prevent this, and could we prevent billions of pounds being used for this purpose?

Without any new treaties, or any signing away of more power, we could, and would, find ourselves ever more at the whim of the EU.

And this is assuming everything trundles along. It doesn't assume the migrant crisis causes the resurgence in nationalism (we'd have a far right Austrian president if there hadn't been Tower Hamlets turnout levels for his opponent in the original election) that divides things. It doesn't assume the EU collapses in the near future (I think the EU will crumble but that it will take a while).

I'm not delighted by where we find ourselves. But the alternatives are, to my mind, worse. By leaving, we at least regain democratic accountability and become masters of our own destiny. Ceding authority to the unaccountable in an artificial federation that has no unifying culture or identity but has been concocted by ideologically driven bureaucrats is no way for an advanced nation to conduct its affairs.

Sorry, bit rambly.

Thanks for the reply. Well argued and not rambly at all.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

That's correct, Rk. Once you have jumped off the cliff, there's no point in scrabbling around trying to claw your way back. You just have to wait and see how it pans out when you get to the bottom.
  • Options

FF43 said:

rkrkrk said:

No-one

That's true. At least for now.
  • Options

FF43 said:

rkrkrk said:

No-one

Ruth Davidson, she's got a good track record of socking it to narrow little nationalists.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    If, and it is big if, an economically reasonable Brexit and transition terms are agreed then it could pass in the current parliament and with TM stepping down the Tories would have decent position for the next GE. If not then self preservation could lead to another referendum so that the electorate own the decision. Would abandoning Brexit be an available option? We might even have three options with STV: World trade erms, some sort of fudge, staying in.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    rkrkrk said:

A perception of government incompetence might make a difference. But I basically agree with you.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Anyway, if we have dealt with the obfuscations over my original remark, should we have another referendum on EU membership before we leave, it will make us a laughing stock, which we are not currently.

If a country, not currently an EU member, has a referendum on whether to join and votes YES, I wouldn't laugh at them despite it probably being a bad idea in my opinion. If their government, who were against joining, then held another referendum on the matter before they joined, I would think they were a laughing stock
  • Options

FF43 said:

rkrkrk said:

No-one

Ruth Davidson, she's got a good track record of socking it to narrow little nationalists.
    The irony is, I reckon Brexit was a big factor in the Tories gaining those seats in Scotland.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

The French public who voted in significant numbers for Le Pen, and who want a referendum themselves?

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/04/majority-of-french-voters-want-an-eu-referendum-citi.html
    Mais oui.
  • Options
    Mr. 43, cheers. Currently trying to come up with a short story (only saw the window yesterday and the deadline is Friday) so I'm slightly distracted :p

Mr. Eagles, those charming sentiments didn't exactly help stave off division or resentment when Cameron came out with them, and I don't think they'll do well now either.

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

rkrkrk said:

We'll have Corbyn proposing nationalization of the Sunderland Nissan plant in 2019 won't we
  • Options
    I think we need to re-visit the thread (I can't remember by which poster) that claimed Trump is a fascist.....
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

I got a similar reaction in Stockholm. Maybe the anti EU Swedes are in some sort of Swedish Skegness, but all the ones who mentioned it were a mixture of puzzled and pitying.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    My impression is that most foreigners don't think much about Britain at all (the idea that everyone else is agonising over Brexit is solipsism). If they do, however, they feel a mixture of amusement, sympathy and bafflement, in varying proportions. A new referendum reversing the decision would be seen as a return to rationality, albeit a somewhat embarrassing one. I don't expect it to happen, though, unless - as Alastair says - the proportion against moves closer to 2-1.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

FF43 said:

rkrkrk said:

No-one

The irony is, I reckon Brexit was a big factor in the Tories gaining those seats in Scotland.
    I'm hoping the BES study will focus on Scotland heavily, I'm still curious about the voters who voted Yes in 2014, SNP in 2015, and Remain in 2016 who then switched to Ruth's team in 2017.

What were their motivations?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

FF43 said:

rkrkrk said:

No-one

North East Scotland were the most LEAVE areas with some constituencies voting LEAVE.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/734222/Brexit-Scotland-not-vote-unanimously-remain-European-Union-Nicola-Sturgeon
  • Options
    nunu said:

I think we need to re-visit the thread (I can't remember by which poster) that claimed Trump is a fascist.....

I think facism requires a level of consistency and coherence beyond what Trump can manage.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

FF43 said:

rkrkrk said:

No-one

I'm hoping the BES study will focus on Scotland heavily, I'm still curious about the voters who voted Yes in 2014, SNP in 2015, and Remain in 2016 who then switched to Ruth's team in 2017.

Do we have any idea how many of them there are? Plenty of leavers in NE Scotland.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

isam said:

isam said:

I got a similar reaction in Stockholm. Maybe the anti EU Swedes are in some sort of Swedish Skegness, but all the ones who mentioned it were a mixture of puzzled and pitying.
    Conjours memories of my Swedish ex. A campaigner for them to join the Euro, who went around rock festivals in the country bending peoples ear about it. I even had a "Ja Til Euron" t-shirt! She was convinced they'd want it, but alas for her, referendum said no

"The voter turnout was 82.6%, and the result was 55.9% against and 42.0% in favor.[1] A majority of voters in Stockholm county voted in favor of adopting the euro (54.7% "yes", 43.2% "no"). "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_euro_referendum,_2003

Sheemsh it wash da Shwedish Shkegnessh wot won it
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

That's correct, Rk. Once you have jumped off the cliff, there's no point in scrabbling around trying to claw your way back. You just have to wait and see how it pans out when you get to the bottom.
    My metaphor would be:

Instead of taking the 3 points and keeping the scoreboard ticking over, we've kicked for touch. Time will tell whether our lineout is good enough, whether it's worth losing 3 safe points for 7 risky ones. But too early to know for sure yet.
  • Options
    calum said:
    I'm not sure society has benefitted from my geography degree.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

rkrkrk said:

No-one

since there are 23 months until we leave it has to be someone known and trusted by the public.

I struggle to think of anyone. Blair and Mandelson lack trust, Ken Clarke splits his own party, the LDs are in limbo and Sturgeon turns stomachs.

• Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

FF43 said:

rkrkrk said:

No-one

Do we have any idea how many of them there are? Plenty of leavers in NE Scotland.
    We don't have any idea on numbers, just suppositions and anecdotes.
  • Options
    Mr. 86, if paying for university is wrong, then why does Sturgeon insist on the English paying for it in Scottish universities?
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

My metaphor would be:

Instead of taking the 3 points and keeping the scoreboard ticking over, we've kicked for touch. Time will tell whether our lineout is good enough, whether it's worth losing 3 safe points for 7 risky ones. But too early to know for sure yet.
    Actually, the best metaphor I have come across is the Mayflower. On all reasonable assessments, it was a desperate and reckless gamble but look how it turned out!

Of course, we don't know how many vessels similar to the Mayflower foundered, never mind how many other similar hare-brained schemes met with disaster, but you can't dispute the Mayflower venture was successful - in the end.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Mr. 86, if paying for university is wrong, then why does Sturgeon insist on the English paying for it in Scottish universities?

Contrary to EU law as well by differentiating against a fellow EU country, England.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

calum said:
    Is that a quote from the Prime Minister?
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

My metaphor would be:

Actually, the best metaphor I have come across is the Mayflower. On all reasonable assessments, it was a desperate and reckless gamble but look how it turned out!

Of course, we don't know how many vessels similar to the Mayflower foundered, never mind how many other similar hare-brained schemes met with disaster, but you can't dispute the Mayflower venture was successful - in the end.
    Mayflower, Jamestown or Darien scheme...
  • Options

Contrary to EU law as well by differentiating against a fellow EU country, England.
    only the english were stupid enough to decide to impoverish their own children
  • Options

tlg86 said:

FF43 said:

rkrkrk said:

No-one

They weren't necessarily Remain. I suspect a number of them are Yes in 2014, SNP in 2015, Leave in 2016, Tory in 2017. As a percentage SNP to Tory switchers is quite small. I think there were more to Labour. Support for independence and support for the SNP is tightly correlated but they do fluctuate.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Nasty Nicola being two faced? Now her power base is corroded, she will become increasingly nationalistic. It will end in tears.
  • Options

Why bother with a plebiscite?

Just decide on a polling sample of 1000 people using a single polling company and no context.
  • Options
    Greetings, all.

I'm a longtime poster on this site, but now that I am actively involved in politics I thought best to start a new account to avoid anything from years ago being taken out of context. I'm sure keen observers would be able to work out who I am, but I'd respectfully request you keep it to yourselves if you do.

I'm a member of the North East Party (NEP) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_East_Party

We recently won 3 seats on Durham County Council and control Peterlee Town Council.
    I'm hoping to get us a foothold in Teesside (or should I be saying 'the Tees Valley' now?).
  • Options

Greetings, all.

I'm a longtime poster on this site, but now that I am actively involved in politics I thought best to start a new account to avoid anything from years ago being taken out of context. I'm sure keen observers would be able to work out who I am, but I'd respectfully request you keep it to yourselves if you do.

I'm a member of the North East Party (NEP) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_East_Party

We recently won 3 seats on Durham County Council and control Peterlee Town Council.
    I'm hoping to get us a foothold in Teesside (or should I be saying 'the Tees Valley' now?).

Hi Rog
  • Options
    According to the polls we are rules by a landslide Conservative Government so there is no chance of a second referendum or reversal of Article 50 trigger to leave the EU in two years time.
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

rkrkrk said:

No-one

since there are 23 months until we leave it has to be someone known and trusted by the public.

I struggle to think of anyone. Blair and Mandelson lack trust, Ken Clarke splits his own party, the LDs are in limbo and Sturgeon turns stomachs.

If reversion to Remain happens, and I think it unlikely, it will be because the PM, whether May, Hammond, Davies or a leader of a coalition TBD, changes their mind as their own party supporters have changed their minds. It will be a partisan decision. The leader can only stay in place if they have their party support behind them. The Conservatives are highly committed to Brexit and collectively unlikely to change their minds. A coalition government, maybe, if it were called into being because Brexit was in crisis.
  • Options
    isam said:

Greetings, all.

Hi Rog
    Hi Bobajob!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    edited July 2017

ah yes the king beyond the water will stroll back in to Parliament and be met a room of happy faeces
    A UKIP get-together?
  • Options

According to the polls we are rules by a landslide Conservative Government so there is no chance of a second referendum or reversal of Article 50 trigger to leave the EU in two years time.

According to the polls we didn't get the Tory majority needed to have a referendum, and Remain won the hypothetical
  • Options

tlg86 said:

calum said:
    Is that a quote from the Prime Minister?
    Chortle.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

isam said:

Greetings, all.

Hi Rog
    Hi Bobajob!
    Oh I didn't realise it was the North East London party! :smiley:
  • Options
    Mr. Uprising, welcome (back to, sort of) the site.

I fundamentally disagree with your party's raison d'etre, which is utterly wrong-headed, short-sighted and fails to learn the recent and obvious lessons of Scottish devolution.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894

My guess is if we pulled out now Fox Davis and May would be mighty relieved. I don't think they had ant idea what they were getting themselves into
  • Options

Mr. Uprising, welcome (back to, sort of) the site.

I fundamentally disagree with your party's raison d'etre, which is utterly wrong-headed, short-sighted and fails to learn the recent and obvious lessons of Scottish devolution.

Thanks for the welcome!

The DUP deal shows that voting in the same party year in year out benefits no-one. The squeaky wheel gets the oil, whether it's Scottish nationalism, Welsh nationalism or the DUP.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

My impression is that most foreigners don't think much about Britain at all (the idea that everyone else is agonising over Brexit is solipsism). If they do, however, they feel a mixture of amusement, sympathy and bafflement, in varying proportions. A new referendum reversing the decision would be seen as a return to rationality, albeit a somewhat embarrassing one. I don't expect it to happen, though, unless - as Alastair says - the proportion against moves closer to 2-1.

Sorry! Don't agree. Every bad news will be seen through the prism of Brexit. I am not even ruling out a recession by the end of the year. Negative growth in Q3 and Q4. Real disposable income is already negative for most.
  • Options
    Mr. Uprising, that's an argument for Not Party X, not for enshrining political divisions within England.
This discussion has been closed.