Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Everything is negotiable, how the election result may have imp

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited July 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Everything is negotiable, how the election result may have improved Britain’s negotiating position in the Brexit talks

It wasn’t supposed to be like this.  Theresa May called the general election calling for a mandate for her Brexit vision.  In her own words:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    can I be first no no way
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Silver medal, like Corbyn.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    Yes and no.

It does improve our negotiating position, because being able to say "I won't be able to sell this" is a powerful negotiating tactic.

But it also increases the chance of no deal. So many people being able to veto the deal increases the likelihood of no deal being able to secure a majority in the House.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    No
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,370
    The most important factor in any negotiation is to make sure that you are dealing with the person who can say yes. A Tory majority government would have been in that position. Finding the person, persons, committee, class of interested parties or whatever on the other side was always going to be a bit more problematic. To have these problems on both sides does not auger well.

May's disastrous incompetence and misjudgement has both weakened the British side and made an agreement less likely. It is pretty hard to forgive her for that. And to be honest I am not really minded to even start.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    rcs1000 said:

Yes and no.

It does improve our negotiating position, because being able to say "I won't be able to sell this" is a powerful negotiating tactic.

But it also increases the chance of no deal. So many people being able to veto the deal increases the likelihood of no deal being able to secure a majority in the House.

My thinking is at what point do the Remainers decide to be pragmatic in the HoC and HoL?

The default, if Parliament passes nothing, is a cliff edge "chaos" to WTO terms in March 2019; how close to that date do the likes of Chuka Umunna think that supporting a Canada-type deal is preferable to the cliff?

As last, week saw, the PLP is more divided than the PCP on this, there's most likely to be an HoC Majority for whatever the Govt propose (with a lot of whipping required).
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    DavidL said:

The most important factor in any negotiation is to make sure that you are dealing with the person who can say yes. A Tory majority government would have been in that position.

The C&S deal makes this effectively the case in regards to exit related votes, no?
  • Options
    In the time that I read Alastair's interesting header, the comments, drafted my own thoughts and refreshed Gary Ballance scored another run. One. He currently has a strike rate of less than 20 after being in for an hour and a quarter. This is absolutely not the correct way forward for England.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The most important factor in any negotiation is to make sure that you are dealing with the person who can say yes. A Tory majority government would have been in that position. Finding the person, persons, committee, class of interested parties or whatever on the other side was always going to be a bit more problematic. To have these problems on both sides does not auger well.

May's disastrous incompetence and misjudgement has both weakened the British side and made an agreement less likely. It is pretty hard to forgive her for that. And to be honest I am not really minded to even start.

The bigger the majority, the more likely that we would have caved in to a deal that was unacceptable to the public (or at least the percentage who care) but embraced by the establishment class as heathite continuity managed decline.

I have no confidence in our negotiating civil servants who are, on the very basis of their training and the prevailing Whitehall culture, a bunch of pinkos and traitors. The only reason they aren't still all commies any more is that there's nobody left to properly spy for. And the reduction in the number of Cambridge graduate recruits has helped with that too, obviously.

No, the last great hope we have is that too many competing voices on both sides help us along nicely to an ECJ-free WTO cushion of stability and freedom. Brexit despite our politicians ... not because of them.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,320
    edited July 2017
    The problem is that Corbyn - an ideological and now self-evident devotee of hard Brexit - is within one last heave of seizing power. Why would the EU go to all this trouble when a Corbyn government would just ditch it all anyway? (It's perfectly possible that Corbyn regards even WTO terms too 'neo-liberal' and is planning ultra-isolationism.) If the fabulous Phil can form a credible alliance of business, Remainers and soft Leavers, then the EU might have some motivation to work with us. Otherwise they'll just leave us to Corybn, Farage and Leadsom, who can pick through the wreckage.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

In the time that I read Alastair's interesting header, the comments, drafted my own thoughts and refreshed Gary Ballance scored another run. One. He currently has a strike rate of less than 20 after being in for an hour and a quarter. This is absolutely not the correct way forward for England.

I'm watching that too. 14 off 80 = a strike rate of 17.5. As Boycott might have said ... my mother could score faster than that tomorrow afternoon in a Sunday league match, and she's dead.
  • Options

DavidL said:

The most important factor in any negotiation is to make sure that you are dealing with the person who can say yes. A Tory majority government would have been in that position.

The C&S deal makes this effectively the case in regards to exit related votes, no?
    No. She is now held hostage by the small groups of extremists at either end of the party. Both sets are mad and dangerous and she needed a pragmatic majority that was rather more focussed on the national interest than some bizarre religious quest. The DUP can't fix that.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    What are the betting implications of this ? Are there markets on what kind of Brexit deal if any is done ?

• Options

The problem is that Corbyn - an ideological and now self-evident devotee of hard Brexit - is within one last heave of seizing power. Why would the EU go to all this trouble when a Corbyn government would just ditch it all anyway? (It's perfectly possible that Corbyn regards even WTO terms too 'neo-liberal' and is planning ultra-isolationism.) If the fabulous Phil can form a credible alliance of business, Remainers and soft Leavers, then the EU might have some motivation to work with us. Otherwise they'll just leave us to Corybn, Farage and Leadsom, who can pick through the wreckage.

Oh don't start me off. This is semi-erection Brexit territory.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

To say he's a little slow is something of an understatement. Luckily young Mr Westley is scoring at a reasonable first class rate.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

DavidL said:

I'm watching that too. 14 off 80 = a strike rate of 17.5. As Boycott might have said ... my mother could score faster than that tomorrow afternoon in a Sunday league match, and she's dead.
    He's just about keeping up with extras so Boycott would clearly have a point.
  • Options
    15!! I take it all back...well, actually I don't.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

GeoffM said:

DavidL said:

He's just about keeping up with extras so Boycott would clearly have a point.
    Surely Boycs's maxim has always been 'guard your wicket and the runs will come'.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited July 2017
    rcs1000 said:

Yes and no.

We now have a team that cannot agree amongst themselves, are not sure of their own position and are woefully unprepared. The EU has decided its position and we are going to have to decide whether to agree to it or go for WTO Brexit with no transition. I don't think there is anything to negotiate, apart from whether we go through the door headfirst or feetfirst.

Hard WTO Brexit is the default, and becomes ever more nailed on by the day. The only alternatives are agreeing the EU package or A50 withdrawal. Neither would be acceptable to a Tory government.
  • Options

I don't think there is anything to negotiate

Oh dear.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    GeoffM said:

DavidL said:

The bigger the majority, the more likely that we would have caved in to a deal that was unacceptable to the public (or at least the percentage who care) but embraced by the establishment class as heathite continuity managed decline.

I have no confidence in our negotiating civil servants who are, on the very basis of their training and the prevailing Whitehall culture, a bunch of pinkos and traitors. The only reason they aren't still all commies any more is that there's nobody left to properly spy for. And the reduction in the number of Cambridge graduate recruits has helped with that too, obviously.

No, the last great hope we have is that too many competing voices on both sides help us along nicely to an ECJ-free WTO cushion of stability and freedom. Brexit despite our politicians ... not because of them.
    What proof have you that the majoriy of people support your view of brexit?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Well there's a first! A Meeks thread on the EU I agree with!

By nature an optimist, while a Remainer I reckoned the British people must have been onto something when they voted to Leave, and again as a Tory, I suspect history will reveal their wisdom in depriving Mrs May of her majority. From a constitutional point of view the Scots delivered the most important result.

It undoubtedly makes negotiating a deal more difficult - but the stark reminder of their own political mortality should have concentrated Tory minds wonderfully, meanwhile their opposition believe they can demonstrate their way into power......
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    Talking of not the right way forward.....

Premier League champions Chelsea have signed ex-Manchester City goalkeeper Willy Caballero on a free transfer.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Yes and no.

I don't think there is anything to negotiate
    You have a much lower opinion of the EU than I do.....
  • Options

Premier League champions Chelsea have signed ex-Manchester City goalkeeper Willy Caballero on a free transfer.

Could be worse, United are allegedly interested in Hart....
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    edited July 2017
    This has the feel of 'Brutus is an honourable man'. It's not always easy to tell on the internet but surely you're writing this tongue in cheek? The Leavers of which Theresa is the archetypal fundamentalist have been all but crushed.

I can't see even a glimmer of hope for any sort of recognisable Brexit or even for the survival of those who sold the idea in the first place. All the weapons including the entire officer class are now lined up against a scattered and defeated rag-tag of chancers and opportunists.

It's not only the negotiators who can see this. The humiliation is visible to the world
  • Options
    nichomar said:

GeoffM said:

DavidL said:

What proof have you that the majoriy of people support your view of brexit?
    None in the slightest. I'd be absolutely fcking gobsmacked if they did.
  • Options
    Roger said:

The Leavers of which Theresa is the archetypal fundamentalist

Erm, say what????
  • Options

I'd be very grateful if you could, for us complete non-football followers, explain briefly why?

It's a very old - medieval - Spanish surname but that's all I've got with this one.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    GeoffM said:

I'd be very grateful if you could, for us complete non-football followers, explain briefly why?

It's a very old - medieval - Spanish surname but that's all I've got with this one.
    He's crap. And old. And Chelsea have about 50 reserve players already, many of which are British, and never get a chance.

And when I say 50, I mean 50. Apparently they have so many, they have their own dedicated WhatAps group where they give each other tips about playing out on loan for years on end.
  • Options
    Roger said:

The Leavers of which Theresa is the archetypal fundamentalist have been all but crushed

[looks at this bottle of rioja very suspiciously]

• Options

GeoffM said:

He's crap. And old.
    Ta muchly.
  • Options

By nature an optimist, while a Remainer I reckoned the British people must have been onto something when they voted to Leave, and again as a Tory, I suspect history will reveal their wisdom in depriving Mrs May of her majority. From a constitutional point of view the Scots delivered the most important result.

It undoubtedly makes negotiating a deal more difficult - but the stark reminder of their own political mortality should have concentrated Tory minds wonderfully, meanwhile their opposition believe they can demonstrate their way into power......

I've been puzzled by your recent posts. I knew you were a Remainer and a May loyalist yet you seemed to have strongly resiled from both those positions. Now I understand
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    DavidL said:

Could be worse, United are allegedly interested in Hart....
    Personally, Romero is the Man.
  • Options

Roger said:

The Leavers of which Theresa is the archetypal fundamentalist

Erm, say what????
    Read the Daily Mail article above and you'll find the mist will clear.

PS. Your man had a good General Election. Well done!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

After the Bangladesh tour, that Gary Balance is wearing an England shirt is staggering. Are we such a poor side ? Where is Hameed ?Wrist still broken ?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

DavidL said:

After the Bangladesh tour, that Gary Balance is wearing an England shirt is staggering. Are we such a poor side ? Where is Hameed ?Wrist still broken ?
    No but he's having a poor season. And Ballance is in form at county level.

As we've mostly agreed downthread though, Hameed should get the experience even if he's not in great nick and Ballance should have exhausted his chances by now.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    surbiton said:

DavidL said:

He has had a poor season so far and Balance has had a good one. However, it is still a terrible decision, Balance is never a test level player, where as Hameed looks like he could definitely make it.

Continually going back to Balance reminds me of Hick and more recently Finn. Neither were / are good enough, but the selectors keep going back to them.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes and no.

My thinking is at what point do the Remainers decide to be pragmatic in the HoC and HoL?

The default, if Parliament passes nothing, is a cliff edge "chaos" to WTO terms in March 2019; how close to that date do the likes of Chuka Umunna think that supporting a Canada-type deal is preferable to the cliff?

As last, week saw, the PLP is more divided than the PCP on this, there's most likely to be an HoC Majority for whatever the Govt propose (with a lot of whipping required).
    I am not too sure. The pragmatic wing of the Tory party has not shown their hands yet. Remainers suddenly have not gone native, I think.
  • Options
    Well Duh!!!

Of course the EU briefs against our position. What else do you expect?
  • Options
    Roger said:

I've been puzzled by your recent posts. I knew you were a Remainer and a May loyalist yet you seemed to have strongly resiled from both those positions. Now I understand
    I am first, and foremost, a democrat. While I think leaving the EU is a bad idea, trying to do an end-run around the British electorate is a very much worse idea, and thats what I fear a lot of this 'Soft Brexit' 'no harm in ECJ jurisdiction if it eases negotiations' amounts to.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

He has had a poor season so far and Balance has had a good one. However, it is still a terrible decision, Balance is never a test level player, where as Hameed looks like he could definitely make it.

Continually going back to Balance reminds me of Hick and more recently Finn. Neither were / are good enough, but the selectors keep going back to them.
    That said, Chris Morris has ruined Ballance's figures with a couple of four-balls.

Ballance is currently looking Bothamesque with a strike rate of 31. It must be nail-biting stuff in the ground.

Hopefully Westley will get to treble figures before they give up and take the draw.

Hick was my example from below on the thread as well of someone who got too many chances. Finn was more horses for courses and in the right conditions, like so many bowlers, he was the right pick. And elsewhere he certainly wasn't.

On balance (see what I did there?) Hick and Ramps too were lucky in their run of selectors.
  • Options
    At least the selectors didn't go back to Lyth or Compton....
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    GeoffM said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

That said, Chris Morris has ruined Ballance's figures with a couple of four-balls.

Ballance is currently looking Bothamesque with a strike rate of 31. It must be nail-biting stuff in the ground.

Hopefully Westley will get to treble figures before they give up and take the draw.

Hick was my example from below on the thread as well of someone who got too many chances. Finn was more horses for courses and in the right conditions, like so many bowlers, he was the right pick. And elsewhere he certainly wasn't.

On balance (see what I did there?) Hick and Ramps too were lucky in their run of selectors.
    The worst thing that happened to Finn is the coaches decided he had to change his action. He went from bowling 95mph and scaring the shit out of anybody who faced him to this stuttering mess.

His bowling now reminds me of golfers who get the yips.
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/01/damian-green-tories-must-modernise-to-win-over-young-voters

Ha-ha-ha. Suddenly, the deficit is not that important. Labour ain't gonna give up this winning formula. They get 18-24 olds and their parents for little cost. I read somewhere that large amounts of the loans have to written off apparently.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Excellent article from Mr Meeks.

I think @CarlottaVance makes an important extra point; the political price of rebellion for every Tory MP has drastically increased since 8th June. I think that, plus the obvious influence of Hammond and other Remainers, will give the Europhiles the cover they need to support the government.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes and no.

I am not too sure. The pragmatic wing of the Tory party has not shown their hands yet. Remainers suddenly have not gone native, I think.
    I suspect no end of plans and discussions are going on behind the scenes. No one dared question Theresa's devotion to hard Brexit when she was set to win a majority of 200. Now the shock of her humiliation has passed, the Tories will be thinking about how to install a pragmatist. There's no point in going with another Brexit zealot, as Corbyn has now secured that role, probably to far better effect.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,127
    Yes I think the hung Parliament has killed austerity (or at least deficit reduction dependent mainly on spending cuts) and a hard Brexit
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @faisalislam: Re @jameschappers (Ex DD chief) intervw- Euratom important test case. Euratom decision never actually justified as a decision in & of itself

@faisalislam: ...pretty sure I did most reporting on Euratom first - heard no attempt even to suggest was 1. Sensible. 2. Good 3. Safe 4. Evidence-based..

@faisalislam: ..rationale was..we're leaving all jurisdiction of ECJ, because its will of the people, therefore we have to leave Euratom because of ECJ..

@faisalislam: ...and I say this as a journalist who did actually bother to try to explore ECJ as issue in referendum campaign live interview with Cameron
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    RoyalBlue said:

Excellent article from Mr Meeks.

I think @CarlottaVance makes an important extra point; the political price of rebellion for every Tory MP has drastically increased since 8th June. I think that, plus the obvious influence of Hammond and other Remainers, will give the Europhiles the cover they need to support the government.

The price of rebellion may have increased but so has the potential benefit of even threatening to.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    edited July 2017
    Mr. P, are we not a member of Euratom due to our membership of the EU, and therefore leaving the EU necessitates our leaving Euratom unless a deal to the contrary is achieved?

Incidentally, at first I was pleasantly surprised, and thought Islam was criticising the decision to fold Euratom into the EU (rather than have it be, *gasp*, a non-EU independent organisation), before realising he was, quite shockingly, criticising an aspect of our leaving the EU.

Incidentally 2: Incident Harder, it's amusing he 'actually bothered' to do some research for the Cameron interview, given that, during another interview, he kept referring to the Lord High Chancellor.

Edited extra bit: that latter interview being with Gove, of course.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes and no.

I suspect no end of plans and discussions are going on behind the scenes. No one dared question Theresa's devotion to hard Brexit when she was set to win a majority of 200. Now the shock of her humiliation has passed, the Tories will be thinking about how to install a pragmatist. There's no point in going with another Brexit zealot, as Corbyn has now secured that role, probably to far better effect.
    I can assure you, the Labour Party inside and outside is not a Brexit party. Even Emily is not.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    surbiton said:

Ha-ha-ha. Suddenly, the deficit is not that important. Labour ain't gonna give up this winning formula. They get 18-24 olds and their parents for little cost. I read somewhere that large amounts of the loans have to written off apparently.

By little cost you of course mean making the working class pay billions more in tax for the education of the middle class.
  • Options

Roger said:

I am first, and foremost, a democrat. While I think leaving the EU is a bad idea, trying to do an end-run around the British electorate is a very much worse idea, and thats what I fear a lot of this 'Soft Brexit' 'no harm in ECJ jurisdiction if it eases negotiations' amounts to.
    Carlotta, you are just a loyal Tory, whatever it's policies maybe at any time.
  • Options
    glw said:

surbiton said:

By little cost you of course mean making the working class pay billions more in tax for the education of the middle class.
    The working classes are going to University and keep on voting Labour. Where do you think these teachers came from ? Many former working class people are now Middle Class.

How many working class people live in London, Birmingham, Manchester ? 60% of them voted Labour.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes and no.

I can assure you, the Labour Party inside and outside is not a Brexit party. Even Emily is not.
    Its difficult to convince people after the other night that he's any less a Brexiteer than May. A pretty fundamental mistake in my opinion and an unnecessary one
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963
    Yes, this is a very well written post by Alastair Meeks.

But I suppose the question is the outcome the EU is hoping for.

If they wish to 'punish' us, surely us dropping out to WTO in 2019 would be their optimal solution.
    If they wish to keep us in the fold, their optimal outcome is probably to convince us to reverse Brexit entirely and remain.

Both of those options are now within easy grasp - simply present a deal up to the deadline on 2019 that is unacceptable and won't make it through Parliament and force us to choose between remaining in - they could leave the door open if they so choose - or inflicting maximum punishment.

A great article from Mr Meeks - but it assumes a middle-ground deal is in the EU's interest. If it's not, the EU's task of either keeping us in, or pushing us off the cliff, just got x100 easier.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

The working classes are going to University and keep on voting Labour. Where do you think these teachers came from ? Many former working class people are now Middle Class.

How many working class people live in London, Birmingham, Manchester ? 60% of them voted Labour.

Most young people do not go to university, nor are they likely to do so in the future, but under Labour's plans they'd pay for it even though they don't get much of the benefit. It's an inherently regressive policy to transfer wealth from the poor to the rich. But such is the Church of Corbynology, where up is down, black is white, rich is poor, and so on.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

Hameed is seriously out of form - and Ballance has been scoring runs for fun in the county championship.
    He might just be one of those batsmen who can't successfully make the step up, but given the start of the season it's hard to argue he hasn't earned his second chance. I don't think the selectors would even have glanced at him had he not been in sparkling form - he might be a Hick, but he's not a Finn.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Roger said:

Its difficult to convince people after the other night that he's any less a Brexiteer than May. A pretty fundamental mistake in my opinion and an unnecessary one

The only people more pro-Brexit than Corbyn are Kippers.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Yes, this is a very well written post by Alastair Meeks.

But I suppose the question is the outcome the EU is hoping for.

If they wish to 'punish' us, surely us dropping out to WTO in 2019 would be their optimal solution.
    If they wish to keep us in the fold, their optimal outcome is probably to convince us to reverse Brexit entirely and remain.

Both of those options are now within easy grasp - simply present a deal up to the deadline on 2019 that is unacceptable and won't make it through Parliament and force us to choose between remaining in - they could leave the door open if they so choose - or inflicting maximum punishment.

A great article from Mr Meeks - but it assumes a middle-ground deal is in the EU's interest. If it's not, the EU's task of either keeping us in, or pushing us off the cliff, just got x100 easier.

I think that is right. Tusk outlined what Brexit means last October:

"The only alternative to hard Brexit is no Brexit"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/13/its-hard-brexit-or-no-brexit-at-all-says-eu-council-president

It is worth watching the videoclip embedded at the top of the article.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,303
    glw said:

surbiton said:

Most young people do not go to university, nor are they likely to do so in the future, but under Labour's plans they'd pay for it even though they don't get much of the benefit. It's an inherently regressive policy to transfer wealth from the poor to the rich. But such is the Church of Corbynology, where up is down, black is white, rich is poor, and so on.
    This slide should be compulsory viewing for all Labour voters. Corbyn is not redistributing:

https://twitter.com/theifs/status/868023274491576320?lang=en-gb
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

Hameed is seriously out of form - and Ballance has been scoring runs for fun in the county championship.
    He might just be one of those batsmen who can't successfully make the step up, but given the start of the season it's hard to argue he hasn't earned his second chance. I don't think the selectors would even have glanced at him had he not been in sparkling form - he might be a Hick, but he's not a Finn.

Ballance....Second chance...This is about 4 or 5th chance at least.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    DavidL said:

The gatekeeper is the person you need to find.

It's very rare to put the principal in the room until you are ready to haggle the last details.

The funniest one I ever saw was when I kept my principal away from the room until the last minute. The President of a US multinational then flew in to close - with 5 points left to negotiate.

He insisted on meeting the principal so he could be the man who closed the deal himself... he came away from that room having given on all 5 points, and surrendered on 2 more that we had agreed with him team.

Motto: never negotiate with a German farmer...
  • Options

Well Duh!!!

Hence the naivety of those arguing earlier that accepting ECJ jurisdiction would ease negotiations - well duh! Conceding your opposite party's points will of course ease negotiations....
  • Options

This slide should be compulsory viewing for all Labour voters. Corbyn is not redistributing:

The Corbynologists seem to think they are getting the Lib Dems, in a whole host of ways, not a bunch of clapped out policies from the 70s.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    glw said:

Roger said:

The only people more pro-Brexit than Corbyn are Kippers.
    I don't think that true. Corbyn is not one to hide his light under a bushel. He was a half hearted Remainer last year, but now accepts hard Brexit and had a successful campaign with that as a manifesto policy.

I think that Brexit is like the monarchy, something that is of minor interest, and a distraction from his real political objectives. He really isn't that bothered, and in that is actually fairly in tune with most voters.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

I don't think that true. Corbyn is not one to hide his light under a bushel. He was a half hearted Remainer last year, but now accepts hard Brexit and had a successful campaign with that aa a manifesto policy.

He voted to leave the EEC, against Maastricht, against Lisbon, and quite possibly to leave in 2016, and has been against the EEC/EC/EU his entire life. He was a Brexiteer before most of the country.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Roger said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes and no.

They are both not fundamental brexititeers but are trying to find a way through a decision that the great British public told them to do leave.A bit like banning smoking in pubs ,you will never please the extremes on either side who disagree vehemently, but the vast majority accept the result and compromise ,by if they smoke do it outside the premises,so respecting the non smokers.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited July 2017

I think that Brexit is like the monarchy, something that is of minor interest, and a distraction from his real political objectives. He really isn't that bothered, and in that is actually fairly in tune witb most voters.

As I keep pointing out, the post-election Survation poll had only 6% of Labour's voters stating Brexit was their #1 issue in deciding their vote.

The idea that they only did well at the election thanks to people hoping they'd stop Brexit, or that they're going to be in trouble in future by supporting Brexit, is for the birds.
  • Options
    glw said:

I don't think that true. Corbyn is not one to hide his light under a bushel. He was a half hearted Remainer last year, but now accepts hard Brexit and had a successful campaign with that aa a manifesto policy.

He voted to leave the EEC, against Maastricht, against Lisbon, and quite possibly to leave in 2016, and has been against the EEC/EC/EU his entire life. He was a Brexiteer before most of the country.
    Yes, he has voted against the EU many times, but it has never been a central strand of his politix.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Yes, he has voted against the EU many times, but it has never been a central strand of his politix.

Sure it's not the number one thing for him*, but he has always been against the EU and was so long before most people, to pretend he was ever anything other than a leaver at heart is just daft.

* Smashing capitalism, abolishing the monarchy, and disarmament all likely come ahead.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

The EU is inimical to the central strand of his politix, and therefore he has always been opposed.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Danny565 said:

I think that Brexit is like the monarchy, something that is of minor interest, and a distraction from his real political objectives. He really isn't that bothered, and in that is actually fairly in tune witb most voters.

As I keep pointing out, the post-election Survation poll had only 6% of Labour's voters stating Brexit was their #1 issue in deciding their vote.

The idea that they only did well at the election thanks to people hoping they'd stop Brexit, or that they're going to be in trouble in future by supporting Brexit, is for the birds.
    Absolutely +1
  • Options
    glw said:

Sure it's not the number one thing for him*, but he has always been against the EU and was so long before most people, to pretend he was ever anything other than a leaver at heart is just daft.

* Smashing capitalism, abolishing the monarchy, and disarmament all likely come ahead.
    When has he ever given a major speech on the subject, or even touched on it? Hardly ever. It is about a thousand points down his priority list.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    glw said:

In the 2015 Labour Leadership Contest he hinted he might vote Leave.

Half-heartedly backing Remain when it came to it was about the best thing he could do for us. Jeremy Corbyn, the quiet hero of Brexit.
  • Options
    Valverde out of Tour de France.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:
    We see why in this tweet. The examples are public sector, but I think many private sector voters experience is the same. Except those pensioners of course.

https://twitter.com/NHAparty/status/880774788007985153
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,128
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. 565, speaking of Owen "Russell Brand has backed Labour, and the Tories should be worried" Jones:
    https://twitter.com/TheaDickinson/status/881148719445536768
  • Options
    Here goes Frooooommmmmmmmmmmeee...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/jackposobiec/status/880904132743360512

That's really good! Well done UPS.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408
    Roger said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes and no.

If our limpalong government maintains its majority and progresses towards Brexit, Labour will be entirely happy watching on and letting the Tories carry the can for the consequences. If, however, Labour votes become critical to the outcome, the party will jump to a Remain position in a heartbeat, whatever Corbyn himself thinks.
  • Options
    Team Sky's protein shakes looking better than every bodies elses.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes and no.

The problem with a Canada like deal is that it typically takes a very long time to negotiate.

What is the dispute resolution mechanism?
    Are there rules preventing use of product standards as NTBs? (And if so, how are they enforced)
    What about animal treatment standards? (I.e., can you import animal products that were treated less well in the exported-to country)
    What are the Rules of Origin for re-exports?
    Cross border provision of services: to what extent are qualifications recognised between countries?
    What are the systems for the electronic provision of cargo manifests?
    Rules regarding cross border provision of financial services?
    etc. etc. etc.

Now, the NAFTA treaties are the extreme end (more than 22mb of text, excluding appendices).

But CETA, at 1,598 pages, isn't much better. (And in combination the Swiss bilateral treaties are more than 8,000 pages, depending on the language.)

Shorter agreements (like the Israel-EU Euromed agreement) would be unacceptable to large numbers of people, because (a) they don't offer the degree of services liberalisation that we need, and (b) they leave too much sovereignty in the hands of the EU as regards dispute resolution.

My personal view is that the government will likely fall in early 2019 because it will become clear that there are not the votes for the specific proposals of the government, and the Labour Party would rather see the Conservative government chaotically fall than back their Brexit deal. What happens then is unclear: the EU could agree to a three month extension while a new government is elected, or we could crash out. Irrespective, there is a great deal of uncertainty ahead.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Roger said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes and no.

If our limpalong government maintains its majority and progresses towards Brexit, Labour will be entirely happy watching on and letting the Tories carry the can for the consequences. If, however, Labour votes become critical to the outcome, the party will jump to a Remain position in a heartbeat, whatever Corbyn himself thinks.
    You two lovebirds seem to be quite happy rattling along at all times assuming and hoping for the worst.

I'm quite happy to "own" Brexit or "carry the can" as you put it. When it's a success nobody will admit to having been a remoaner. Rather like Headingley in 1981, when everything turns out great more people will claim to have been in the ground cheering on Botham than the place could have physically seated.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408
    GeoffM said:

IanB2 said:

Roger said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes and no.

You two lovebirds seem to be quite happy rattling along at all times assuming and hoping for the worst.

I'm quite happy to "own" Brexit or "carry the can" as you put it. When it's a success nobody will admit to having been a remoaner. Rather like Headingley in 1981, when everything turns out great more people will claim to have been in the ground cheering on Botham than the place could have physically seated.
    Lol. You enjoy denial, as long as you can.
  • Options
    Moving to see the tributes to Helmut Kohl today. I hope being there had an emotional impact on Theresa May.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Why put ourselves through all this. Simply stand up to the British public and the likes of Bill Cash, tell them as it is, not what we think they would like to hear, and end this whole sordid business. Enough is enough!!. Time to get back to normality and get on with government, not all this exit negotiating nonsense. People I speak to at work who amazed me by voting leave, "its this immigration", openly say they would not do it again and regret their vote. Some live in the Stoke area.
  • Options
    theakes said:

Why put ourselves through all this. Simply stand up to the British public and the likes of Bill Cash, tell them as it is, not what we think they would like to hear, and end this whole sordid business. Enough is enough!!. Time to get back to normality and get on with government, not all this exit negotiating nonsense. People I speak to at work who amazed me by voting leave, "its this immigration", openly say they would not do it again and regret their vote. Some live in the Stoke area.

Frankly I'd tell you that to your face at work if I thought you'd fuck off back to your desk and leave me alone.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Well Duh!!!

We should be doing the same.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Rather like Headingley in 1981, when everything turns out great more people will claim to have been in the ground cheering on Botham than the place could have physically seated.

In honour of Headingley I suggest that David Davis goes 'straight into the confectionary stall negotiating hall and out again'.
  • Options

Danny565 said:
    We see why in this tweet. The examples are public sector, but I think many private sector voters experience is the same. Except those pensioners of course.

https://twitter.com/NHAparty/status/880774788007985153
    Really sad. A young solicitor or chartered accountant will probably start at £35k.
This discussion has been closed.