Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The scale of LAB’s lead in the parliament’s first polls is unp

Comments

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135
    mwadams said:

Chris said:

mwadams said:

Chris said:

He's playing sick politics with the deaths, and making it more likely that other will die. That's offensive.

And you're accusing him of "making it more likely that other will die", on the basis of sheer speculation about what's going on in his head. Marvellous.
    It doesn't actually matter what is going on in his head - just what he's saying. He is (in an un-nuanced way) stating the "reason" for this appalling disaster.
    Of course it matters what's going on in his head, because the accusation I was replying to is that he was "playing sick politics with the deaths".

He was stupid to use the word "murdered", and his attribution of blame may indeed prove premature. But in asserting that attribution is wrong, some people here are making their own premature assumptions.

Or do they have their own explanation for what has gone so dreadfully wrong?
    Maybe that should be "he is, intentionally or not, playing politics with other people's lives. If intentional, that is a disgrace, if unintentional, then he demonstrates that he fails to understand the consequences of his public utterances now that he is shadow chancellor."
    I think the relevant distinction is whether he was "playing" or whether he was in earnest. That's why it matters what's going on in his head.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,709
    GIN1138 said:

It seems Jezza is having a honeymoon after losing the election...

The point about honeymoon's is they don't last.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    Chris said:

Dura_Ace said:

You do seem to be able to provide a balanced view and are the acceptable face of the left. However, McDonnell needs to be reigned in as his comments, together with his background, are offensive.

Offensive to whom? The acceptable ambit of political discussion doesn't end where your feelings start.

His comments are offensive
    Most of the comments posted here are offensive to someone or other.

Maybe I've missed some information, but we seem to be in a situation where every single one of the blocks tested has been found to contain unsafe materials, which the government had previously indicated were currently banned in this country.

In the context of at least 79 people having died, expect people to make hard-hitting comments.
    Describing the deaths as murder is just incorrect isn't it?
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    GIN1138 said:

It seems Jezza is having a "honeymoon" after losing the election...

What are you on about, he won the election and according to OGH the tories lost.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,829
    edited June 2017

Aren't they paid to make adjustments to get closer to the actual result rather than further away.

Any pollster who thought 18-24 turnout would be identical to 2015 was unfit for purpose.

Has Martin Kaboom Boon been sacked yet?

Doesn't Martin (Kaboom) Boon own ICM? If so he'd be sacking himself? ;)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,779
    The Daily Telegraph has overtaken the The Guardian to become the most-read ‘quality’ newspaper brand in the UK, according to new data released by the Publishers Audience Management Company (Pamco).

It is the first data which combines the National Readership Survey (NRS) with a new Audience Measurement for Publishers (AMP) system which tracks 5,000 digital reader

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/nrs-national-press-readership-data-telegraph-overtakes-guardian-as-most-read-quality-title-in-printonline/
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,779
    edited June 2017

It also didn't work, John, if your name is Coyne and you dared to run against the ultimate Labour left fixer - Red Len. He is currently fighting to save his job in the union.

https://twitter.com/MrTCHarris/status/878922499370741761
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273
    This morning's thought:

At what point in the next four years will Tory grandees go on bended knee and beg Ruth Davidson to run in a by-election for Westminster?

I'm starting to think she may be the only antidote Tories might have to Corbyn fever.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    GIN1138 said:

Yes, he is. All because of the collapse of the expected landslide and the awful Tory campaign. To go from 24 points ahead to HP (leaving aside the reality of that lead as it was still what was thought to be the case) implies in the media and public eye that something is wrong with the Tories and something is right with Labour.
    Shouldn't also be without note that Labour are rampant in London and Salford where the entirety of the media live, breathe and experience.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited June 2017
    isam said:

Chris said:

Dura_Ace said:

You do seem to be able to provide a balanced view and are the acceptable face of the left. However, McDonnell needs to be reigned in as his comments, together with his background, are offensive.

Offensive to whom? The acceptable ambit of political discussion doesn't end where your feelings start.

Maybe I've missed some information, but we seem to be in a situation where every single one of the blocks tested has been found to contain unsafe materials, which the government had previously indicated were currently banned in this country.

In the context of at least 79 people having died, expect people to make hard-hitting comments.
    Murder is correct only if they are planned deaths. Accidental death or death via negligence is manslaughter

"Manslaughter - noun - the crime of killing a human being without malice aforethought, or in circumstances not amounting to murder."
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,363

Scott_P said:

Penddu said:

Today would be a good day for for JC to say that not only is he going to scrap Trident, but also that he will scrap (or preferably sell off)- the useless aircaft carriers that dont have any aircraft. And he should do it by saying that all of the money saved would be assigned to remaining armed forces who will be leaner and meaner - And also a good time to point out that UK Navy has more Admirals than ships.....

ttps://twitter.com/telepolitics/status/879128853490262016
    Love the photo. 2 wealthy, elderly white males soaking up the applause from thousands of rich kids at an expensive and trendy social event. Yah.
    Surely you are not saying that they are members of......The Few???!!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273

It also didn't work, John, if your name is Coyne and you dared to run against the ultimate Labour left fixer - Red Len. He is currently fighting to save his job in the union.

https://twitter.com/MrTCHarris/status/878922499370741761
    :+1:
  • Options
    I don't think I can remember a LOTO swanning around as though he's won a landslide before. It rather makes all comparisons difficult.

I hope the DUP deal includes a pile of money that can only be spent by a NIE. Otherwise, I'll be out of a job come Thursday!
  • Options

Chris said:

Pulpstar said:

Chris said:

He's playing sick politics with the deaths, and making it more likely that other will die. That's offensive.

And you're accusing him of "making it more likely that other will die", on the basis of sheer speculation about what's going on in his head. Marvellous.
    The building problem has gone through Labour, Tory and Tory-Lib Dem coalition governments; Labour and Tory councils. It shouldn't be party political.
    Interestingly an international fire safe expert on 5live early this morning said that neither the Prime Minister or any other previous Prime Minister bears any responsibility for the Grenfell fire, more that it was a collective failure of building, surveying, and fire inspection regimes.

He said it should not be a party political matter
    Well, on that view, whether it becomes a "party political matter" would depend on how political decisions are deemed to have influenced those building, surveying, and fire inspection regimes, and whether one party turned out to be more responsible than another.

Isn't it just as premature to assume that won't be the case, as to assume it will? But, as ever here, views will be judged predominantly on which side of the political contest they favour.
    Everything is premature - wisdom suggests waiting for the preliminary report is the best course to take
    Indeed.

If the material's were banned, then that indicated that that element of regulation was working. Clearly other bits, wether it be the implementation, or the planning or the inspection etc didn't.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,714
    Chris said:

Dura_Ace said:

In the context of likely criminal prosecutions, for a front bench MP to be making intemperate - and quite possibly prejudicial - comments about 'murder' is grossly irresponsible.
    And displays a profound ignorance - or contempt for - British criminal law.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,829
    edited June 2017

This morning's thought:

At what point in the next four years will Tory grandees go on bended knee and beg Ruth Davidson to run in a by-election for Westminster?

I'm starting to think she may be the only antidote Tories might have to Corbyn fever.

I've already said a Jezza Vs Ruth general election would be fun...

From what I've seen in the Shires though Ruth is NOT as popular as one might think with oldies given her involvement with the WFA debacle. ;)
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    I used to think Gordon Brown was Labour's worst ever Chancellor / Shadow Chancellor with a nasty streak..... Mr McDonnell seems keen to outdo him.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    isam said:

Chris said:

Dura_Ace said:

Chris - there is a time for hard hitting comments. After an enquiry not before so as not to prejudice the outcome.

I work in property and I cannot see how numerous blocks in different areas is an individual failure. Numerous designers with rigorous design quality control will have reviewed these schemes. I would offer up the opinion that there is a grey area between the British standard and building regulations. For the wrong materials to have been put on so many buildings would be a massive conspiracy. The only other thing could be a testing scandal, i.e. Manufacturer sending the wrong product to be tested and getting better ratings, a la VW.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Penddu said:

Today would be a good day for for JC to say that not only is he going to scrap Trident, but also that he will scrap (or preferably sell off)- the useless aircaft carriers that dont have any aircraft. And he should do it by saying that all of the money saved would be assigned to remaining armed forces who will be leaner and meaner - And also a good time to point out that UK Navy has more Admirals than ships.....

Those useless aircraft carriers will have aircraft. Never quite sure where that myth came from..
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

This morning's thought:

I've already said a Jezza Vs Ruth general election would be fun...

From what I've seen in the Shires though Ruth is NOT as popular as one might think with oldies given her involvement with the WFA debacle. ;)
    Ruth is awesome.
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    GIN1138 said:

It seems Jezza is having a "honeymoon" after losing the election...

He must have so many days in lieu owed from all that weekend working in the last few weeks of the election campaign.
  • Options

The one thing the Tories need to do is divorce themselves from the thought that JC is terrible and shouldn't inspire people to the fact that he clearly is inspiring people and start finding their own message of inspiration.

Quite; May tried and tested the scare story campaign to destruction - as did Remain.

I happen to agree that a Corbyn administration would likely be disastrous for the country, particular in our current delicate state, but pointing this out, however forcibly, is on its own going to do very little to limit his potential electoral success.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Scott_P said:

Penddu said:

Love the photo. 2 wealthy, elderly white males soaking up the applause from thousands of rich kids at an expensive and trendy social event. Yah.
    Quite.

But why aren't the thousands of rich kids (and rich middle-aged people -- this is Glastonbury after all) voting Tory? That's the question.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Ruth is awesome.

Her appointment as honorary colonel of the signals regiment has REALLY wound up the Zoomers
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    One thing that is interesting about the Corbyn surge, is seeing how monsters like Stalin, Mao and Hitler were so popular, especially with the young, even though what they were doing was reprehensible and murderous.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

The point about honeymoon's is they don't last.
    It's a honeymoon which won't get interrupted by the awkward business of actually having to govern, though, so it's likely to be more durable than most.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited June 2017
    saddo said:

One thing that is interesting about the Corbyn surge, is seeing how monsters like Stalin, Mao and Hitler were so popular, especially with the young, even though what they were doing was reprehensible and murderous.

I said that with Trump.

(and yes they are two cheeks of the same arse).
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,519
    edited June 2017

I used to think Gordon Brown was Labour's worst ever Chancellor / Shadow Chancellor with a nasty streak..... Mr McDonnell seems keen to outdo him.

Was your account hacked yesterday ?

I saw something about you wanting TPD Reckless to be Tory leader.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    I suspect that Mrs May is not that negatively by the less commited "floating" voters and if she withstands the barrage of criticisms from media and opponents she may re-build support. There is a hell of a lot of volatility as the JC phenomona illustrates.

JC and McDonell may well overplay their hand in terms of agitation, political strikes etc. There is also the qquestion of parliamentary votes where all parties will have to be specific on a range of issues and the contradiction in the JC illusion may be exposed.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    On topic: I really wouldn't take much notice of opinion polls in the current, febrile environment. We have had a series of dramatic and in some cases horrifying events over the past few weeks, and the Conservatives are still in chaos, unsurprisingly. We need to let things settle down.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Scott_P said:

Penddu said:

Quite.

But why aren't the thousands of rich kids (and rich middle-aged people -- this is Glastonbury after all) voting Tory? That's the question.
    Broadly speaking the youth are anti Brexit, open minded, disinterested in the overall structure of the economy, unphased by rural and elderly matters, radical, dreamers and anti establishment.
    I.e. the Tories offer them nothing.

Edit - and the tranche of youth that the blues might appeal to are still not voting.
  • Options
    kurtjesterkurtjester Posts: 121
    edited June 2017

Scott_P said:

Penddu said:

Quite.

Because it's not fashionable.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,873
    Morning all :)

Plenty of vitriolic reaction to McDonnell's comments from the usual suspects. I do agree "murder" is a pretty strong term but once you get past the headline-grabbing words and consider what McDonnell has said, it's a different story.

As far as Fire Service provision is concerned, the blunt answer is you can have as much or as little as you want or are willing to pay for. Cutting back on fire cover and provision always leads to a torrent of complaints from residents but even if you had a fire station on every street corner it wouldn't matter.

The key change in the role of the Fire Service and to an extent the Police and the NHS is they have become wholly reactive services - the preventative side of what they do is the area which has suffered through reductions in resources. As with crime and health problems, education and prevention can save huge amounts in the long run but it's not seen by the public or Government as a priority - how many crimes did you solve is a much easier statistic than how many crimes did you prevent ? Helping people to live better through lifestyle education and preventative checks for things like breast and prostate cancer has saved thousands of lives but how often is this acknowledged or recognised ?

McDonnell has part of a point - public services have a role in shaping behaviours and customer through education, inspection and prevention and simply harping on about the rights of the individual and self-responsibility misses the point.

Housing is a huge elephant in the political room - as someone living in the housing nightmare that is London, all I can say is that all parties need to acknowledge their responsibility for the mess it has become. No side is blameless - the question is more about how people want to live and it goes beyond four walls and a roof. Planning, in all its forms, may be derided by some but simply building houses and flats without supporting infrastructure doesn't help and the latter takes more time.

I consider housing more important and more complex than Brexit and it's little wonder politicians struggle with it. Everyone sees the need for more affordable housing but no one wants it where they are and when property is many people's principal (and often only) capital asset you can understand why there is so much pressure to preserve its value. There is a clear concern that increasing supply and reducing demand will lead to a fall in prices and that's the last thing millions of people want or need.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,334
    Just heard Jim Fitzpatrick, secretary of parliamentary committee on fire safety, provide a litany of failures contributing to the Glenfell fire including the cladding, insulation, the recent internal modernisation of the building, fire doors and their effectiveness, the removal of asbestos and the correct replacement ensuring the integrity of each apartment with no gaps preventing smoke spread.

In addition I am certain other factors will be raised including unsafe electrical and gas appliances, unauthorised resident changes to their own apartments, and many more issues.

Latest. - Theresa May shaking hands with Arlene Foster on the front steps of Downing Street just now
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

I don't think I can remember a LOTO swanning around as though he's won a landslide before. It rather makes all comparisons difficult.

I hope the DUP deal includes a pile of money that can only be spent by a NIE. Otherwise, I'll be out of a job come Thursday!

Didn't you watch Ruth at Holyrood last year?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Ruth is awesome.

Her appointment as honorary colonel of the signals regiment has REALLY wound up the Zoomers
    Ruling party politicians being given honors by the military, demanding the media be more patriotic - that's what a one party state looks like.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    saddo said:

And have you noticed the biased BBC has censored any mention of Osama bin Laden's collection of manhole covers?
  • Options
    "A REMAIN supporter has marked one year of feeling superior to the ignorant plebs who supported Brexit.

Nathan Muir, from Kingston, campaigned for Stronger In during the referendum and has taken every opportunity since to sigh loudly at the stupidity of Leave voters.

Muir said: “Over the past year, I have begun to look on the bright side of Brexit, namely that it gives me the perfect opportunity to demonstrate my sophistication and intelligence compared to the drooling Morlocks who got swindled by a bus.

“I stand a little taller knowing that I am an objectively better and less racist person than 52 per cent of my fellow citizens, none of whom understand European tariff law like I do.

Muir’s colleague Emma Bradford said: “I voted Remain, but listening to Nathan talk melodramatically about how he will never give up his European identity makes me wonder if Vote Leave might have been onto something.

“A lot of us were sad about the result, but he’s the only person I know who made a song and dance about joining the fucking Lib Dems.” "

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/politics-headlines/remainer-celebrates-one-year-of-moral-high-ground-20170626130449
  • Options
    The Grenfell death toll is likely to be the next major scandal. It's not 79. The authorities have been through the tower and they know how many corpses are within roughly speaking. But they can't identify a huge number of them and they don't know who was there officially and who was there on an unofficial basis. So they can't release figures, lest we all naturally ask 'who are they? Who had died? What's going on here?'. And that paralysis feeds the thought of cover up.
  • Options
    Bobajob_PBBobajob_PB Posts: 928

I suspect that Mrs May is not that negatively by the less commited "floating" voters and if she withstands the barrage of criticisms from media and opponents she may re-build support. There is a hell of a lot of volatility as the JC phenomona illustrates.

JC and McDonell may well overplay their hand in terms of agitation, political strikes etc. There is also the qquestion of parliamentary votes where all parties will have to be specific on a range of issues and the contradiction in the JC illusion may be exposed.

That's clearly what you think!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    The DUP have rolled into 10 Downing Street to collect their dosh. Traffic outside of the gates of the iconic address has ground to a complete halt as a cavalcade of gigantic orange wheelbarrows is now parked outside.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Alistair said:

Ruling party politicians

Your post immediately prior was making the point she is not in the ruling party...
  • Options
    I've been looking at Paddy Power's Trump specials and one really sticks out.

They have it at evens that he ceases to be president in 2020 or later.

Surely that should be huge odds on?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Oooooooh Owen Jones was within a whisker of letting a cat out of the bag!
    Was talking on Sky about changing Thatcherism, a new way etc and started to say 'by asking the rich to contribute considerably more' and stopped himself and said a little bit more ;)
  • Options
    Chris said:

I don't think he did say they had been "neglected". He said they were "murdered by political decisions that were taken over recent decades". He is saying that because of those politicial decisions, the refurbishment proved fatal.

Of course, it's stupid to use the word "murdered". But for the rest of it, something has clearly gone very badly wrong indeed. Why would anyone assume political decisions weren't involved?

What were these political decisions, exactly? Tony Blair deciding to use inflammable cladding? Gordon Brown rubbing his hands in glee at the tuppence-hapenny savings that could be made by using the cheaper cladding, and hoping to blame dozens of deaths on a Tory council? Cameron deciding that deaths in social housing were OK?

McDonnell is either certifiably insane, or, more likely, a very nasty and cynical politician whose moral compass is completely blown to smithereens.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,957

Scott_P said:

Penddu said:

Quite.

Broadly speaking the youth are anti Brexit, open minded, disinterested in the overall structure of the economy, unphased by rural and elderly matters, radical, dreamers and anti establishment.

Edit - and the tranche of youth that the blues might appeal to are still not voting.
    Plus, they don't feel rich.

The university educated offspring of the middle classes see their own lives as being far inferior to that of their parents, who gamed the system and did well. That's what they see as unfair.

It's unfair they can't buy a house in their twenties. It's unfair there aren't any jobs for life. Etc, etc.

The thousands of twenty-and-thirty-somethings you see screaming for Jezza at Glastonbury may well be well educated, middle class by taste and birth, but that comes with certain expectations, e.g. home ownership.

The fact they aren't rich enough to do so means they don't feel rich. ABC1/D2E classifications are meaningless now. Young-ish ABC1s still feel very poor.

Hence why Jezza is a very middle class revolt.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,519
    Alistair said:

Scott_P said:

Ruth is awesome.

Ruling party politicians being given honors by the military, demanding the media be more patriotic - that's what a one party state looks like.
    Arthur Donaldson would have got one too had we lost WWII.

*Lights blue touch paper, and off to a meeting I go*
  • Options
    edited June 2017

The Grenfell death toll is likely to be the next major scandal. It's not 79. The authorities have been through the tower and they know how many corpses are within roughly speaking. But they can't identify a huge number of them and they don't know who was there officially and who was there on an unofficial basis. So they can't release figures, lest we all naturally ask 'who are they? Who had died? What's going on here?'. And that paralysis feeds the thought of cover up.

Pure speculation. It's irresponsible to even make that suggestion.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014

isam said:

Chris said:

Dura_Ace said:

Chris - there is a time for hard hitting comments. After an enquiry not before so as not to prejudice the outcome.

I work in property and I cannot see how numerous blocks in different areas is an individual failure. Numerous designers with rigorous design quality control will have reviewed these schemes. I would offer up the opinion that there is a grey area between the British standard and building regulations. For the wrong materials to have been put on so many buildings would be a massive conspiracy. The only other thing could be a testing scandal, i.e. Manufacturer sending the wrong product to be tested and getting better ratings, a la VW.
    Sensible post. If all those blocks are faulty, then it can’t be down to one designer or council.
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651
    saddo said:

Is Hitler popular?

I can understand why some youths may think that Stalin was okay - the way he is taught in school, at least at GCSE level, is along the lines of: "Sure, a few people got shot. But, hey, productivity went up and it was good for women's rights because of creches".

• Options

Chris said:

I don't think he did say they had been "neglected". He said they were "murdered by political decisions that were taken over recent decades". He is saying that because of those politicial decisions, the refurbishment proved fatal.

Of course, it's stupid to use the word "murdered". But for the rest of it, something has clearly gone very badly wrong indeed. Why would anyone assume political decisions weren't involved?

What were these political decisions, exactly? Tony Blair deciding to use inflammable cladding? Gordon Brown rubbing his hands in glee at the tuppence-hapenny savings that could be made by using the cheaper cladding, and hoping to blame dozens of deaths on a Tory council? Cameron deciding that deaths in social housing were OK?

McDonnell is either certifiably insane, or, more likely, a very nasty and cynical politician whose moral compass is completely blown to smithereens.
    Well said!

How anyone can watch this pitiful bullshit/excuse for an apology and not see the man is pure scum is beyond me.

https://youtu.be/_gq3rv8Gjko
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Scott_P said:

Penddu said:

Quite.

The university educated offspring of the middle classes see their own lives as being far inferior to that of their parents, who gamed the system and did well. That's what they see as unfair.

It's unfair they can't buy a house in their twenties. It's unfair there aren't any jobs for life. Etc, etc.

The thousands of twenty-and-thirty-somethings you see screaming for Jezza at Glastonbury may well be well educated, middle class by taste and birth, but that comes with certain expectations, e.g. home ownership.

The fact they aren't rich enough to do so means they don't feel rich. ABC1/D2E classifications are meaningless now. Young-ish ABC1s still feel very poor.

They feel poor but go abroad 6 times a year.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I disagree. The authorities are on record as saying the figure is likely to rise and that bodies may never be identified. It's perfectly reasonable speculation. Especially as it is a core grievance of the residents in protests already seen.

Having said that I am quite prepared to not speculate further and revisit these thoughts if and when there is an update to the death toll from the tragedy.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,936
    edited June 2017

kyf_100 said:

Scott_P said:

Penddu said:

Quite.

Holidays abroad have never been cheaper, and houses have never been more expensive.
    Personally I go abroad every two years or so.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,010

sadly death may intervene and reduce the majority to something unworkable via by-elections. It is unlikely there will be enough lost by-elections in five years to reduce things too far, but not impossible.

Contemporary MPs do seem to have an annoying tendency not to die. A lesser prediliction for fags and firewater than their predecessors I suppose.

• Options
    LucyJones said:

saddo said:

Is Hitler popular?

I can understand why some youths may think that Stalin was okay - the way he is taught in school, at least at GCSE level, is along the lines of: "Sure, a few people got shot. But, hey, productivity went up and it was good for women's rights because of creches".

I think they are talking in the past tense.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Alistair said:

Ruling party politicians

Your post immediately prior was making the point she is not in the ruling party...
    Well, I understand the Ruth Davidson Party For Second Place No Surrender to Independence Party is considered a separate orginisation from the Conservatives by some but I bet Ruth is a card carrying member of the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited June 2017
    LucyJones said:

saddo said:

Is Hitler popular?

Um, I studied the Russian Revolution at GCSE level and Lenin and co were certainly not portrayed sympathetically, so the idea that Stalin would be is odd, to say the least.

I know that this place dislikes Corbyn - I'm not a fan either - but comparing him to Stalin, Mao, and Hitler is just ridiculous.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Scott_P said:

Penddu said:

Quite.

This is exactly borne out by the gains Labour made ( and the few losses they had). Gaining Kensington, High Peak, Canterbury, Warick whilst losing Mansfield.

The breakdown of the Yougov models and Mori polls show labour is at it's highest with ABC1 whilst tories at their highest with D/E since 1950's.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758

Glad that I'm being clear. I think the best way to stop Corbyn is to sit tight and try to govern in a reasonable manner. McDonnell's murder statement I'm confident will be the thin end of the wedge.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Penddu said:

Quite.

Also the simple reason is,the majority of people won't have seen the consequences of labour's general impact on the economy (and more importantly their personal experience of the economy).

it's likely to have to be shown what the implications of massive public spending and a bloated state have on everyone until Corbyn and his ilk are shown for the disasters they will be.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,010

Penddu said:

Those useless aircraft carriers will have aircraft. Never quite sure where that myth came from..
    The aircraft arrived before the carriers. To date, the MoD has 9 x F-35B but 0 x QEC. Yet morons keep trotting out the carriers with no aircraft line.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Penddu said:

Quite.

Also the simple reason is,the majority of people won't have seen the consequences of labour's general impact on the economy (and more importantly their personal experience of the economy).

it's likely to have to be shown what the implications of massive public spending and a bloated state have on everyone until Corbyn and his ilk are shown for the disasters they will be.
    Or turned 38 years of economic orthodoxy on its head!
  • Options
    Apparently a highly dangerous predator has been spotted in the shallows and folk had to flee for their lives.

But enough of Arlene Foster in the choppy waters of political life of the Conservative government.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Penddu said:

Quite.

They can afford not to.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

If there is speculation, it is because every one already suspects that the total is a lot higher and that the authorities are delaying giving out any figures for political reasons. There is also the thought, just by looking at the pictures of the top floors, where the concrete floors/ceilings are missing, that the temperatures involved were enough to incinerate everything, except the steel support beams, to gas - now that is frightening.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,957

kyf_100 said:

That's a rather simplistic analysis.

While it's certainly fashionable to be well travelled, the fact is, if you're working an extremely stressful and long hours grad job in your 20s for, say, 30-40k, spending 50% of your income on rent to live in a four-or-more-person houseshare, it's very hard to say to that person, "you should be saving £100 a month as a deposit". A deposit for a flat will run you as much as 30k these days so that's 25 years of saving. And year on year, house prices have been going up faster than people can save.

Oh, and the real kicker is the repayment on the university fees, which your parents didn't pay, come in just at around the same amount as a lump sum saving on something like a house. Again putting it further out of reach.

So I think the foreign travel culture comes from a combination of high stress jobs combined with high stress living factors and need to de-stress, alongside the towering impossibility of ever earning enough to buy a place of your own when the bar set by ever rising house prices keeps getting raised further and further out of reach.

A little empathy and a lot less "well don't spend money on takeaway coffee and fancy holidays" would go a long way to understanding why the youth are voting as they are.
  • Options
    hamiltonacehamiltonace Posts: 642
    nunu said:

kyf_100 said:

Scott_P said:

Penddu said:

Quite.

This is exactly borne out by the gains Labour made ( and the few losses they had). Gaining Kensington, High Peak, Canterbury, Warick whilst losing Mansfield.

The breakdown of the Yougov models and Mori polls show labour is at it's highest with ABC1 whilst tories at their highest with D/E since 1950's.

My son a committed Tory voted Labour at the last election as a sign that his generation wanted to be noticed. In the same way that May is being used by the hard Brexiters as a tool, Corbyn is being used by the young as a tool.

No-one really cares about Corbyn's manifesto as noone expects him to have to deliver. In the same way no-one really cares what May says about Brexit as again no-one expects her to deliver it.

• Options

kyf_100 said:

Scott_P said:

Penddu said:

Quite.

I have family members like this. They work hard and do spend their money on holidays (and love Jezza (in the mid twentys),like a week in Tunisia or whatver but there's no point in saving for a home they will never afford anyway.

It really is a middle-class revolt.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Penddu said:

Quite.

I see the PB Tories are once again adopting their default position of being condescending to Millennials. The classic of the genre was on June 7. Oh how we laughed.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    I struggle to understand what the problem is with McDonnells comments (as reported on the bbc);

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40401314

What he said seems spot on to me.
  • Options
    I find it very odd when I hear it said that the yoof are angry about Brexit because it means they can't work abroad.

To work abroad, you usually have to be competent in the local language. The only exception is Holland where literally everyone including the homeless speaks English.

What would a millennial do in Germany or Paris?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,191
    Pong said:

I struggle to understand what the problem is with McDonnells comments (as reported on the bbc);

As noted by others, murder requires intent.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    It appears that Jezza at Glastonbury isn't music to some ears .... who knew ?!? .... :smiley:
  • Options

Glad that I'm being clear. I think the best way to stop Corbyn is to sit tight and try to govern in a reasonable manner. McDonnell's murder statement I'm confident will be the thin end of the wedge.
    Did you see Victoria Derbyshire earlier? They had a woman on who refused to evacuate her flat in Camden. She was asked what she thought of that comment? She said it was the labour govt that done the refurbishments and a labour council that signed off on them so didn't make sense to blame TMay.
  • Options
    nunu said:

kyf_100 said:

Scott_P said:

Penddu said:

Quite.

I have family members like this. They work hard and do spend their money on holidays (and love Jezza (in the mid twentys),like a week in Tunisia or whatver but there's no point in saving for a home they will never afford anyway.

It really is a middle-class revolt.
    Wait until inflation and interest rates start ramping up under labour, then we'll really see a revolt.
  • Options
    Pong said:

No one was murdered. But we are talking about it, which is why he incorrectly used that word
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited June 2017

Scott_P said:

Penddu said:

Quite.

I see the PB Tories are once again adopting their default position of being condescending to Millennials. The classic of the genre was on June 7. Oh how we laughed.
    PB Tories used to tell those of us on the Left not to blame voters.

This site has totally lost the plot in many respects since June 8th. Didn't get the result they wanted, and now it's throw the toys out of the pram time.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Oh, and the real kicker is the repayment on the university fees, which your parents didn't pay

Untrue. When you correct for lower personal allowances and higher tax rates, your parents paid more, and they did so whether or not they had a degree.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

I find it very odd when I hear it said that the yoof are angry about Brexit because it means they can't work abroad.

To work abroad, you usually have to be competent in the local language. The only exception is Holland where literally everyone including the homeless speaks English.

If you have skills and are willing to try to learn the language then you can work in Europe. I did so in Germany, France and Holland without being fluent.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    edited June 2017

Yes I agree - but to be fair it's easier to give advice than to take it!
  • Options
    Deal being signed live on Sky now
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Penddu said:

Quite.

This site has totally lost the plot in many respects since June 8th. Didn't get the result they wanted, and now it's throw the toys out of the pram time.
    Yep. Well put.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

At a guess, and this is just a guess, I'd say they would learn German or French. Millennials are capable of learning other languages.
  • Options
    Pong said:

IANAL so I can't with certainty say what does or does not constitute murder.

Then again, I am not a fucking idiot, so I will go with the view that the deaths were not murder.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    tlg86 said:

Pong said:

Plus, what he says is absolutely, 100% bonkers:

"The decision not to build homes and to view housing as only for financial speculation rather than for meeting a basic human need made by politicians over decades murdered those families."

As non-sequiturs go, that's a humdinger. It's verging on insane. Spending millions on refurbishing social housing is viewing housing only for financial speculation?
  • Options

At a guess, and this is just a guess, I'd say they would learn German or French. Millennials are capable of learning other languages.
    No. They are feckless and bone idle. I know this to be the case, as I read it right here on PB.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

English is the global language - there are lots of jobs in Berlin or Paris which are in English?
  • Options

No. They are feckless and bone idle. I know this to be the case, as I read it right here on PB.
    Strawman alert!
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

That's a rather simplistic analysis.

While it's certainly fashionable to be well travelled, the fact is, if you're working an extremely stressful and long hours grad job in your 20s for, say, 30-40k, spending 50% of your income on rent to live in a four-or-more-person houseshare, it's very hard to say to that person, "you should be saving £100 a month as a deposit". A deposit for a flat will run you as much as 30k these days so that's 25 years of saving. And year on year, house prices have been going up faster than people can save.

Oh, and the real kicker is the repayment on the university fees, which your parents didn't pay, come in just at around the same amount as a lump sum saving on something like a house. Again putting it further out of reach.

So I think the foreign travel culture comes from a combination of high stress jobs combined with high stress living factors and need to de-stress, alongside the towering impossibility of ever earning enough to buy a place of your own when the bar set by ever rising house prices keeps getting raised further and further out of reach.

A little empathy and a lot less "well don't spend money on takeaway coffee and fancy holidays" would go a long way to understanding why the youth are voting as they are.
    I did this daft stuff in my 20s too. Doesn't make it irrelevant. I was buying take out coffee and going on random trips to Sweden (only spent £500, amazing). I saved feck all.

If you do earn 35k, you damn well should be able to save unless you insist on renting in areas you really shouldn't.

A case in point was one guy who used to work for me complained how he couldn't afford to live on fewer than six shifts a week.

He rented in Hampstead.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,936
    I wonder what is in the deal :o
  • Options

Well, judging by the youth unemployment figures for France, nothing.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I don't care for the use of the word "murder" by John McDonnell. The public aren't, however, going to accept that like Little Dorrit that the Grenfell disaster was Nobody's Fault.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

£££
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    tlg86 said:

Pong said:

Has Arson been definitely ruled out ?
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    stodge said:

Morning all :)

Plenty of vitriolic reaction to McDonnell's comments from the usual suspects. I do agree "murder" is a pretty strong term but once you get past the headline-grabbing words and consider what McDonnell has said, it's a different story.

As far as Fire Service provision is concerned, the blunt answer is you can have as much or as little as you want or are willing to pay for. Cutting back on fire cover and provision always leads to a torrent of complaints from residents but even if you had a fire station on every street corner it wouldn't matter.

The key change in the role of the Fire Service and to an extent the Police and the NHS is they have become wholly reactive services - the preventative side of what they do is the area which has suffered through reductions in resources. As with crime and health problems, education and prevention can save huge amounts in the long run but it's not seen by the public or Government as a priority - how many crimes did you solve is a much easier statistic than how many crimes did you prevent ? Helping people to live better through lifestyle education and preventative checks for things like breast and prostate cancer has saved thousands of lives but how often is this acknowledged or recognised ?

McDonnell has part of a point - public services have a role in shaping behaviours and customer through education, inspection and prevention and simply harping on about the rights of the individual and self-responsibility misses the point.

Housing is a huge elephant in the political room - as someone living in the housing nightmare that is London, all I can say is that all parties need to acknowledge their responsibility for the mess it has become. No side is blameless - the question is more about how people want to live and it goes beyond four walls and a roof. Planning, in all its forms, may be derided by some but simply building houses and flats without supporting infrastructure doesn't help and the latter takes more time.

I consider housing more important and more complex than Brexit and it's little wonder politicians struggle with it. Everyone sees the need for more affordable housing but no one wants it where they are and when property is many people's principal (and often only) capital asset you can understand why there is so much pressure to preserve its value. There is a clear concern that increasing supply and reducing demand will lead to a fall in prices and that's the last thing millions of people want or need.

There is one key problem in housing - building them where they are needed. The Government needs a strategy for moving functions and industries out of London where possible. The boldest move would be to move central government away from London. This could be done and is why they don't want to do it for the Parliament refurbishment.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

£££
    I billion apparently
This discussion has been closed.