Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Damian Green – my 70/1 longshot to be next CON leader

12346»

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

if you have backed Lamb with Bet365 they do let you cash out your bets on this market. he's still 10/3 so depending on the price you took you might get out ok.

Sad article by Norman, which shows very much why he was the best option for leader:

https://twitter.com/normanlamb/status/877907287251222528
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited June 2017
    *sigh!*

Domestic duties beckon..... C U l8ter
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Shame about Lamb, he seems an interesting and worthy chap.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited June 2017

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

David Miliband was last matched for next Labour leader on Betfair at 13.

Who ARE these people who back him? I am utterly mystified how anyone could think him value at under 100.

Probably the same people who had Ruth Davidson at 6 or thereabouts for next Con leader a few days ago.
    Shush.
    Ruth's still layable at 19, for anyone who thinks there will be a contest in the coming months.

I just had a week off from politics, but seem to recall George Osborne being well in the single figures in the aftermath of the election too. Don't they know that Con, Lab and LD parties all select their leaders from the House of Commons?
    BF often has oddities. I mean, Greg Clarke is on 2 to be Tory leader at the moment.
    Yes, in an illiquid market there's often some funny prices for minor players due to the lack of cash. The trick is to look at the lay prices rather than the back prices in these markets.

Davidson and Osborne were both matched at silly prices though, people were genuinely betting on them when it looked like Mrs May would resign, as people are still betting on David Miliband for next Labour leader.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292

if you have backed Lamb with Bet365 they do let you cash out your bets on this market. he's still 10/3 so depending on the price you took you might get out ok.

Sad article by Norman, which shows very much why he was the best option for leader:

Instead of him, we are going to get Uncle Vince....Sad...
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2017

I'm confused.

His article "Why I won’t be the Lib Dems’ next leader" doesn't explain why he isn't running to be the Lib Dems’ next leader.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Agree with the vast majority of what he says. A liberal democrat, as opposed to a Liberal Democrat. Can't someone try to talk him around into standing?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited June 2017
    Sandpit said:

Agree with the vast majority of what he says. A liberal democrat, as opposed to a Liberal Democrat. Can't someone try to talk him around into standing?
    The thing with Lamb is as well, he doesn't just say stuff because he thinks that is what people want to hear, he says what he believes in (and unlike Jezza it isn't totally bonkers).
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853

Pro_Rata said:

rkrkrk said:

glw said:

rkrkrk said:

Has a libertarian party ever won a national election anywhere?

Probably not. They are, IMO, a sandwich short of a picnic an E Coli outbreak.....
    The public don't vote for disunited parties, and libertarian parties are violently split on whether 90% or all of government should be abolished.
    I had a libertarian friend who was extremely opposed to traffic lights.
    He felt they were a dangerous infringement on his civil liberties.
    The existence and administration around nationality phased my closest libertarian acquaintance most. He found his passport most offensive. And the army, for that matter.

EDIT: think he must have been a 100%er.
    Easily fixed. When he next boards an international flight or ship, tell to throw away that pesky passport and liberate himself from the shackles of authoritarianism. He might even find something worth being offended about as he attempts foreign passport control :D
    Lol -;googled him. Seems he made a good proportion of his way in life working for the blues, moreso than many of the more likely suspects at uni. Not entirely surprised, batshit crazy and detached from uni politics though he was, he wasn't untalented.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I know little about Building Regs and therefore haven't commented on the tragic fire. But if it's the cladding, I blame the Greens entirely. Putting carbon dioxide before people's lives. Caroline Lucas should resign and stand trial for murder.

That's better, I'd been missing out a little.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Pong said:

I'm confused.

His article doesn't explain why he isn't running for leader.
    Yes - I assume he thinks he'd lose given the stance on Brexit of the membership is more William Glenn than Alistair Meeks. But that isn't all the new joiners, and there will be more eurosceptisim amongst older members... @Stodge of this parish for instance who would have given Stormin Norman a good hearing.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    CD13 said:

I know little about Building Regs and therefore haven't commented on the tragic fire. But if it's the cladding, I blame the Greens entirely. Putting carbon dioxide before people's lives. Caroline Lucas should resign and stand trial for murder.

Don't be ridiculous. Other types of insulation are available.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

I'm confused.

Yes - I assume he thinks he'd lose given the stance on Brexit of the membership is more William Glenn than Alistair Meeks. But that isn't all the new joiners, and there will be more eurosceptisim amongst older members... @Stodge of this parish for instance who would have given Stormin Norman a good hearing.
    Coral/Laddies still being a bit slow. Cable 4/7 and Davey 4/1 both stand out prices with Lamb still in their book at 7/2. We still don't know if Davey is standing though do we?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

I'm confused.

He has a far more realistic view on Brexit. LDs shouldn't make the same mistake as Tories, and make all policy around Brexit. There is far more to life and politics. Next leader after Cable?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Bromptonaut,

You're missing the point, it's called the blame game.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    CD13 said:

Mr Bromptonaut,

I blame the Ladbroke family. If that part of London had still been fields it would never have happened.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    CD13 said:

Mr Bromptonaut,

correct

and thats entirely his fault
  • Options

CD13 said:

Don't be ridiculous. Other types of insulation are available.
    And barely more expensive.

The reason for the insulation was not just C02, but rather because the old block was too hot in summer and too cold in winter.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Labour are simultaneously criticising Theresa May for not giving an unequivocal guarantee that central government would pay the full cost of any work needed to make buildings safe, and criticising Kensington & Chelsea council for giving money back to council tax payers.

• Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    CD13 said:

Mr Bromptonaut,

Ah!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

I'm confused.

He has a far more realistic view on Brexit. LDs shouldn't make the same mistake as Tories, and make all policy around Brexit. There is far more to life and politics. Next leader after Cable?
    Everyone thinks that'll be Swinson. Which means it probably won't be :)
    I just hope someone, anyone else declares be it Davey, Stone, Brake or Moran.
    Recent leadership coronations for other parties: Brown & May..........
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

I'm confused.

Doc Fox as a remainer who has banged on incessantly about Brexit for the last 12 months you may wish to re read your post
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    Brom said:

I see that Leavers' preferred solution to the problem of finding agricultural workers is still self-picking fruit.

It's clutching at straws somewhat to suggest we shouldn't leave the EU because we'll find it harder to exploit foreign workers to pick fruit.
    Clutching at straws? I don't think you'll find any British workers willing to do that!
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Labour are simultaneously criticising Theresa May for not giving an unequivocal guarantee that central government would pay the full cost of any work needed to make buildings safe, and criticising Kensington & Chelsea council for giving money back to council tax payers.

They're getting the hang of Opposition, aren't they?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

I'm confused.

Doc Fox as a remainer who has banged on incessantly about Brexit for the last 12 months you may wish to re read your post
    I have banged on about other things too!

While I think Brexit will be looked back on as an act of self harm, I have never opposed going ahead with it. Since 12 months ago, I have advocated preparing and planning for hard Brexit, and have no faith in our government doing anything useful to mitigate. I could not sell the second referendum policy on the doorsteps because I did not believe in it.

• Options
    roserees64roserees64 Posts: 251
    I do think that the Eddie Mair interview has exposed a major flaw in Boris Johnson's character in that he 'doesn't do facts or detail'. This in my opinion means that he can never be considered as a serious candidate for the leadership of the Tory party.

Johnson is usually very good at thinking on his feet and in blustering his way through an interview but he has now come a cropper. In the past, so long as he talked non-stop, he got away with it.

He was a spectacular advocate for leaving the EU because he added humour and glamour to the campaign. However we are now in a much more serious time, the atrocities and the real flaws in Brexit demand a very different leader.

We are now in the silly phase of the leadership contest and there is not one obvious candidate who stands out from the rest . It will be a case of selecting the one with the least number of flaws. Maybe that person is not even in parliament at present?
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

CD13 said:

Mr Bromptonaut,

I blame the Ladbroke family. If that part of London had still been fields it would never have happened.
    Wasn't it the Romans wot dun it? Damn Europeans, we'll be well shot of them!
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

I do think that the Eddie Mair interview has exposed a major flaw in Boris Johnson's character in that he 'doesn't do facts or detail'. This in my opinion means that he can never be considered as a serious candidate for the leadership of the Tory party.

Johnson is usually very good at thinking on his feet and in blustering his way through an interview but he has now come a cropper. In the past, so long as he talked non-stop, he got away with it.

He was a spectacular advocate for leaving the EU because he added humour and glamour to the campaign. However we are now in a much more serious time, the atrocities and the real flaws in Brexit demand a very different leader.

We are now in the silly phase of the leadership contest and there is not one obvious candidate who stands out from the rest . It will be a case of selecting the one with the least number of flaws. Maybe that person is not even in parliament at present?

Boris has experience of winning against Ken (in London!). I think he can handle Corbyn.

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

new thread

• Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

Boris has experience of winning against Ken (in London!). I think he can handle Corbyn.

Boris does seem to have some kinship with Roy Plunkett, which has served him well to date.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,901
    Pong said:

I'm confused.

His article "Why I won’t be the Lib Dems’ next leader" doesn't explain why he isn't running to be the Lib Dems’ next leader.
    Just be thankful he's not. He was always one of the most Tory of the Lib Dems who went into coalition and preached with the zeal of the new convert. I was surprised that of all of them he didn't cross the floor.
This discussion has been closed.