Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Now the speculation is that these could be TMay’s final days a

Comments

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Roger said:

Everyone should consider, that if the PM falls over this, then MOB RULE wins.

There's always the possibility they'll make a better job of it
    Your ok with mob rule Roger?

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,009

Last Leg has been absolutely brilliant tonight.

It has honestly made me believe, that despite everything, we'll be okay as a country.

McDonnell with the pathetic us vs them mentality he is trying to stir up, will hate this.

Yes, if Corbyn and McDonnell got in I would expect the Tories to swing hard to the right in response, maybe even Priti Patel may have a chance of becoming leader. Let us hope tonight's Last Leg with Clegg, Hague and Blair was not the last hurrah of a more centrist political age
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Chris said:

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

I see Corbo is still pretty good at selecting broadly supported populist lines

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/875746994379255808

Take out the Don't Knows for a headline figure at that's a revolutions worth of support.

It depends how the question is asked.

In any case, it's irrelevant. People can be rehoused without confiscating property.
    You'd think by now Corbyn's opponents would be giving him a bit more credit, even if they looked on it as just low animal cunning. What he said was that empty property should be requisitioned if necessary. Put that way, in order to disagree, you'd have to be saying that even if requisitioning were necessary in order to rehouse these poor victims, you would refuse to do it. That sounds pretty hard-hearted, doesn't it?
    It's not necessary.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,945

Last Leg has been absolutely brilliant tonight.

It has honestly made me believe, that despite everything, we'll be okay as a country.

McDonnell with the pathetic us vs them mentality he is trying to stir up, will hate this.

Glad to hear that British humour has helped.

It always does.

Left wing agitprop never does.

• Options
    PeterC said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Matthew Parris is right here (and I find his recent journalism loathsome)

She has to go. This is too cruel, now.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b5d21a3c-52a9-11e7-8136-9a70942ceadd

She will go well before the next election, of course Major took over from Thatcher 3/5 of the way through the 1987-1992 Parliament and still won in 1992 despite the downfall she suffered over the poll tax and the riots that ensued from that. Hammond in many respects is John Major 2, May seems to have jumped from Thatcher 1983 to Thatcher 1990 in the space of a few weeks
    History may rhyme but it does not repeat. There is surely no need to look for precise parallels.
    Those who do not learn from history are destined to repeat it
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,951

It was okay when it was right wing populism, now it's a disaster when it's left wing populism....

Brexit and Corbynism are two cheeks of the same arse,
    One on the right, the other on the left. Does that make you the hole in the middle?
  • Options
    glw said:

HYUFD said:

Yougov also had voters wanting to restore the death penalty too in their last poll on the subject, though I doubt Corbyn's populism will reach as far as that!

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/08/13/capital-punishment-50-years-favoured/

Maybe if it only applies to posh people and Tories?
    If the British people were voting purely for policies not parties we would have renationalisations, higher taxes on the rich, lower taxes for middle income earners, more money for the NHS, police and education, less money for overseas aid and welfare, immigration slashed apart from a few key sectors, tougher sentences for offenders and restoration of the death penalty. A mix of both left and rightwing populism
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2017

twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/875823476266987522

Hopefully all the miliband / timothy bollocks.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,128
    Sean_F said:

Chris said:

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Take out the Don't Knows for a headline figure at that's a revolutions worth of support.

In any case, it's irrelevant. People can be rehoused without confiscating property.
    You'd think by now Corbyn's opponents would be giving him a bit more credit, even if they looked on it as just low animal cunning. What he said was that empty property should be requisitioned if necessary. Put that way, in order to disagree, you'd have to be saying that even if requisitioning were necessary in order to rehouse these poor victims, you would refuse to do it. That sounds pretty hard-hearted, doesn't it?
    It's not necessary.
    Yes - I was replying to someone who said precisely that.

My point is that if you just say it's not necessary you're not actually disagreeing with Corbyn. To disagree with him, you'd have to consider the situation in which it was necessary, and say you wouldn't do it even then. What he said was phrased in such a way as to make anyone who disagreed seem like a heartless bastard.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    Chris said:

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Yeah, yeah - Herod said the first-born should be massacred if necessary , and look how that turned out.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679
    edited June 2017

I do believe that when Theresa May stands down Brexit as wanted by UKIP will be gone for good

Apparently she isn't standing down. The DUP will save her or something
    She will in time for the next GE whenever that is. The next interesting question will be whether the SNP and the Lib Dems decide to vote for or against or abstain on the QS
    Zero chance they would vote for it, surely?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Ofcourse if say should we take "luxury property" from the offshore trust fund lot the public will agree.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

The Tory-led Kensington & Chelsea council have said they don't have enough places to rehouse everyone within the borough.
  • Options
    blueblue said:

Chris said:

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Yeah, yeah - Herod said the first-born should be massacred if necessary ...
    I think you'll find you just made that up.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I'm not sure how you can have dozens of flagship election pledges. Surely there's only one flagship?
  • Options
    You know, I've really been wobbling on May, and have been as bitterly angry and disappointed with her election performance as anyone. But when I see Corbyn and his cult whipping the public into a mob frenzy of confiscatory Stalinism, I think ... let's keep her on for Brexit, and tell the commies to go fuck themselves.

Oh, and whatever price the DUP want, let's triple it - the deal being that they keep Corbyn out until he dies of old age.
  • Options
    Chris said:

blueblue said:

Chris said:

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Yeah, yeah - Herod said the first-born should be massacred if necessary ...
    I think you'll find you just made that up.
    No shit!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    blueblue said:

You know, I've really been wobbling on May, and have been as bitterly angry and disappointed with her election performance as anyone. But when I see Corbyn and his cult whipping the public into a mob frenzy of confiscatory Stalinism, I think ... let's keep her on for Brexit, and tell the commies to go fuck themselves.

Oh, and whatever price the DUP want, let's triple it - the deal being that they keep Corbyn out until he dies of old age.

That's fighting talk...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472

I'm not sure how you can have dozens of flagship election pledges. Surely there's only one flagship?
    Yeah, we're in the most unique or extremely historic territory.

Unless we're in plural of Attorney-General territory.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,303

I do believe that when Theresa May stands down Brexit as wanted by UKIP will be gone for good

She will in time for the next GE whenever that is. The next interesting question will be whether the SNP and the Lib Dems decide to vote for or against or abstain on the QS
    I am only asking the question.

However the SNP and the Lib Dems do not want an election anytime soon
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

It's hard to know if parties could actually oppose a motion depending on the context and public perception, but Labour are currently the only party who want a quick election.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

blueblue said:

That's fighting talk...
    Damned right it is. Let's show these shits what "evil Tories" are really all about.
  • Options
    I probably sound like a jobsworth twat, but it's really​ bugging me how reporters are questioning the "stay put" policy. It is clear that there was a breakdown in the evacuation procedure in Grenfell, but for me, stay put coupled with phased evacuation is the only way to deal with a highrise incident. By trying to discredit the policy, they're going to make minor incidents in highrise very difficult for FRS around the country.
  • Options
    Getting rid of all the stupid stuff that cost her the election? Shame she didn't do it before the manifesto launch...
  • Options
    blueblue said:

GIN1138 said:

blueblue said:

That's fighting talk...
    Damned right it is. Let's show these shits what "evil Tories" are really all about.
    Your not related to Ave It are you? :D
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Every department is its own fleet.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    blueblue said:

Blimey, turn your back for 5 minutes and the public have been "whipped up into a mob frenzy of confiscatory Stalinism". Should I be sitting up with a loaded shotgun tonight or is it safe to go to bed? What do you reckon.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

It's hard to know if parties could actually oppose a motion depending on the context and public perception, but Labour are currently the only party who want a quick election.
    As long as the QS is considered uncontroversial it may not harm the opposition parties if they support it for the good of the Country. If I was guessing abstentions may be the order of the day
  • Options
    William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346
    edited June 2017

You can have a flagship per Admiral, really. At the battle of Trafalgar there were 3 flagships in the British fleet
  • Options
    Quincel said:

I don't think defeating the QS would be enough to trigger an election under the FTPA - it has to be a vote of no confidence.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I probably sound like a jobsworth twat, but it's really​ bugging me how reporters are questioning the "stay put" policy. It is clear that there was a breakdown in the evacuation procedure in Grenfell, but for me, stay put coupled with phased evacuation is the only way to deal with a highrise incident. By trying to discredit the policy, they're going to make minor incidents in highrise very difficult for FRS around the country.

I think "stay put" applies when the fire is contained (and these buildings are/were designed to contain fires) but obviously it doesn't apply when the whole building is going up like match sticks... In that situation you've got to get out ASAP surely.

They need to urgently understand why the building went up like it did and in the buildings where that could happen again change the advice.
  • Options

You know your subject and I would agree with the logic. The problem is the disinformation peddled by the media whipping up a storm, when more professional journalism would have served everyone properly
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

blueblue said:

GIN1138 said:

blueblue said:

That's fighting talk...
    I'm definitely channelling the spirit of Ave It tonight!
  • Options
    blueblue said:

GIN1138 said:

blueblue said:

GIN1138 said:

blueblue said:

That's fighting talk...
    I'm definitely channelling the spirit of Ave It tonight!
    "Spirits" being the operative word.. Whisky, Vodka, GIN... ;)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Getting rid of all the stupid stuff that cost her the election? Shame she didn't do it before the manifesto launch...
    Well, I hope she not going to drop the important stuff like fox hunting haha!
  • Options
    blueblue said:

The trouble with partisans is that they tend to forget that most people don't share their partisanship. Most people won't even hear that Corbyn said anything about requisitioning empty property, and of those that do, most of them won't think "Oh dear - confiscatory Stalinism." As that poll shows, most of them will think it's quite a good idea.

I suppose that explains some of the comments here about the electorate having gone mad. All it really means is that the commenter can't fathom why people are behaving as they are. And essentially that's probably just because they commenter can't imagine acting in that way him/herself.
  • Options

Quincel said:

I don't think defeating the QS would be enough to trigger an election under the FTPA - it has to be a vote of no confidence.
    The PM would resign, Corbyn could not be able to put together a Government, and so another GE
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    GIN1138 said:

Announce a bunch of unpopular but possibly sensible policies so that you have a mandate for them.
    Lose but win the election due to unpopular policies.
    Drop unpopular policies post election leaving no mandate, no sensible policies and no majority.

What a calamity.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Announce a bunch of unpopular but possibly sensible policies so that you have a mandate for them.
    Drop unpopular policies post election leaving no mandate, no sensible policies and no majority.

What a calamity.
    It all comes down to Brexit
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I think "stay put" applies when the fire is contained (and these buildings are/were designed to contain fires) but obviously it doesn't apply when the whole building is going up like match sticks... In that situation you've got to get out ASAP.

They need to urgently understand why the building went up like it did and in the buildings where that could happen again change the advice.
    Stay put is nowt to do with containment, it's designed to stop stairwells and communal areas getting clogged up by residents streaming out when there is no need to. Residents on the fifth floor don't need to run out in their underpants if there is a fire on the twentieth floor. A well maintained, efficient fire detection system uses phased evacuation to create an orderly, safe evacuation. Obviously, Grenfell was a clusterfuck, but that shouldn't lead to mass panic in a tower block the next time someone burns toast on the 20th floor, which is absolutely what will happen on my next night shift.
  • Options

Quincel said:

The PM would resign, Corbyn could not be able to put together a Government, and so another GE
    Or why not simply represent a revised QS addressing the concerns of the (presumably few) Tories who didn't vote for it?
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited June 2017

GIN1138 said:

What a calamity.
    It's Hammond who has the nightmare job of having to balance the books after all the difficult, but necessary policies don't go through.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    HYUFD said:
    What is going on in that photograph?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Artist said:

GIN1138 said:

What a calamity.
    It's Hammond who has the nightmare job of having to balance the books after all the difficult but necessary policies don't go through.
    After 7 years the general election result effectively killed austerity, the alternative now is an easing off it with the Tories or a spending splurge with Corbyn Labour
  • Options

Quincel said:

Or why not simply represent a revised QS addressing the concerns of the (presumably few) Tories who didn't vote for it?
    Looks like that is what is going to happen
  • Options
    Chris said:

blueblue said:

The trouble with partisans is that they tend to forget that most people don't share their partisanship. Most people won't even hear that Corbyn said anything about requisitioning empty property, and of those that do, most of them won't think "Oh dear - confiscatory Stalinism." As that poll shows, most of them will think it's quite a good idea.

I suppose that explains some of the comments here about the electorate having gone mad. All it really means is that the commenter can't fathom why people are behaving as they are. And essentially that's probably just because they commenter can't imagine acting in that way him/herself.
    So when the far left (aided and abetted by most media outlets today) hijacks a tragedy to promote their own partisanship, I guess you'll be the first to call them out, right?

Right.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

I think "stay put" applies when the fire is contained (and these buildings are/were designed to contain fires) but obviously it doesn't apply when the whole building is going up like match sticks... In that situation you've got to get out ASAP.

Stay put is nowt to do with containment, it's designed to stop stairwells and communal areas getting clogged up by residents streaming out when there is no need to. Residents on the fifth floor don't need to run out in their underpants if there is a fire on the twentieth floor. A well maintained, efficient fire detection system uses phased evacuation to create an orderly, safe evacuation. Obviously, Grenfell was a clusterfuck, but that shouldn't lead to mass panic in a tower block the next time someone burns toast on the 20th floor, which is absolutely what will happen on my next night shift.
    Out of interest have you got any theories about why the building went up like it did?
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    A council official was attacked.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Not sure, but it does feel like the Telegraph is trying to spin a 'riots on the street' story where (so far, and touch wood) nothing of the sort has happened.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Danny565 said:

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

The Tory-led Kensington & Chelsea council have said they don't have enough places to rehouse everyone within the borough.
    Is the Labour Mayor of London doing anything to help?
  • Options
    blueblue said:

Chris said:

blueblue said:

So when the far left (aided and abetted by most media outlets today) hijacks a tragedy to promote their own partisanship, I guess you'll be the first to call them out, right?

Right.
    That'll be 'aided and abetted by most media outlets' apart from The Daily Mail, The Sun, The Express, The Times and The Dail Telegraph, presumably?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Pulpstar said:

It was a shock but I'm coming to terms with the incoming Corbyn government. I'm not particularly rich or poor so no need to worry :)

Quite the opposite, if you're neither particularly rich or poor then you are exactly in the position where you need to worry most.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Report on Sky showed one of the tenants in a hotel room on an inclusive basis.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited June 2017

Danny565 said:

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Dunno. But I'm just a bit confused that some on PB keep insisting there's supposedly loads of housing available to meet the needs of the Grenfell residents, when even the council themselves have said that's not true.

Corbyn's idea of using absentee landlords' places may or may not be a good or practical idea, but to say it's "irrelevant" or "unnecessary" on the basis of there already being plenty of houses for the people in need is being flatly contradicted.
  • Options

Quincel said:

Indeed, but I bet SNP & LibDems join Labour in voting against, and it passes by handful of votes.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    blueblue said:

Chris said:

blueblue said:

For what it's worth, I think there's obviously a large element of this tragedy being exploited by people like the SWP, and that's very distasteful.

But the point I'm making is that political partisans can develop a blind spot if they forget how little of their partisanship the general public shares. Smart Tories wouldn't be shrugging their shoulders and saying "The world's gone mad." They'd be trying to understand why so many people now find Corbyn so appealing. Then maybe next time they wouldn't be taken by surprise as they were last week.
  • Options

Quincel said:

Indeed, but I bet SNP & LibDems join Labour in voting against, and it passes by handful of votes.
    SNP maybe but listening to Vince Cable I doubt the lib dems will vote against
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    Personally I think PB needs to go and have a nice lie down in a quiet room. I may be wrong, but I suggest that this weekend will see neither riots in the streets (not counting scuffles at the town hall) nor any elected politician calling for them nor May's resignation. We can expect demos and the odd anarchist trying to stir it, but the march, singing and prayers this evening seem a proportionate action by frustrated people.

But for those who do think she's going, note that SeanT's suggestions for a replacement, David and Hammond, are fingered by the article in the Standard as precisely the two who were keenest on the snap election - Hammond in particular because he expects the economy to deteriorate. Doesn't the same loic dictate that he won't be keen to grab the reins at this point?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

I probably sound like a jobsworth twat,

No you are quite right. People who know nothing about fire fighting, construction, planning, building regulations and much more are filling the airwaves and papers with ill informed speculation that in some cases will encourage dangerous behaviour. I can't think of any previous disaster in the UK that has seen such irresponsible reporting from across the board.
  • Options
    Phillip Hammond 16/1 to be next PM on Coral - surprisingly long.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    GIN1138 said:

Alistair said:

The British people have gone mad!
    Burn the rich
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Quincel said:

Exactly, and for the non-Labour parties there is a different position on both. The LDs for example would vote against a Tory QS, but not for a Labour one either. Hence why the current seat tallies risk there being no viable government. Just because Corbyn can block a QS (if he can) doesn't mean he can govern.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

It was a shock but I'm coming to terms with the incoming Corbyn government. I'm not particularly rich or poor so no need to worry :)

Quite the opposite, if you're neither particularly rich or poor then you are exactly in the position where you need to worry most.
    Oh Richard don't shatter my illusions !
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    The thread is correct - the game is up for May.

Now only are her ratings at submerine levels but even The Mail is deserting the sinking ship. Only The Telegraph remains loyal finding reds under the bed to explain a protest where people don't like their compatriots and friends being burned to death in their own homes!

If she has any sence she will pack her bags this weekend - things are only going to get worse.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Re a Corbyn government, it could happen but it certainly isn't guaranteed. The last few weeks should surely tell anyone that politics is highly unpredictable right now and public opinion is very fickle.

We'll have to wait and see what the future brings.

But I actually think the government may well survive for several years yet. They'll get the QS pasted and only focus on Brexit for the rest of the term.

• Options

Personally I think PB needs to go and have a nice lie down in a quiet room. I may be wrong, but I suggest that this weekend will see neither riots in the streets (not counting scuffles at the town hall) nor any elected politician calling for them nor May's resignation. We can expect demos and the odd anarchist trying to stir it, but the march, singing and prayers this evening seem a proportionate action by frustrated people.

But for those who do think she's going, note that SeanT's suggestions for a replacement, David and Hammond, are fingered by the article in the Standard as precisely the two who were keenest on the snap election - Hammond in particular because he expects the economy to deteriorate. Doesn't the same loic dictate that he won't be keen to grab the reins at this point?

You do make sense Nick and I believe that Theresa May will carry on in the short term as there is no obvious successor
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Quincel said:

You may be right but I think it will hurt them if they are seen to be propping May up in any way.
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 332
    edited June 2017

Agreed, I don't think that anyone in that situation will stay put now and we'll end up with some Ibrox-style stampede/crush disaster instead.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Corbyn's thuggish mob causing mayhem on the streets tonight - thiswhat Labour Members and MPs have embraced and support.

• Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,954

I hope so - but there is a mood in the air. I have seen a lot of non-political types both inside london and out urging people to stay safe this weekend, a lot of talk of riots on Facebook comments and so on.

It is a slim chance, I grant you that, but the country feels much closer to strife than it has in my lifetime.

Something is different this time - it's a gut reaction, an instinct, but you feel it all the same.

The events of the last few weeks have made me realise just how much of an 'us vs them' mentality there is out there at the moment. It is easy to see how things can escalate from here but hard to see how they are defused, or how quickly.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

The thread is correct - the game is up for May.

Now only are her ratings at submerine levels but even The Mail is deserting the sinking ship. Only The Telegraph remains loyal finding reds under the bed to explain a protest where people don't like their compatriots and friends being burned to death in their own homes!

If she has any sence she will pack her bags this weekend - things are only going to get worse.

She has got this far so she will not go now the DUP will vote for the QS. She will go at some time but the Autumn is the earliest IMO
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Corbyn's thuggish mob causing mayhem on the streets tonight - thiswhat Labour Members and MPs have embraced and support.

Source?
  • Options
    The housing situation has reached an extent where 59% of the population have taken an essentially Marxist view on property rights.

Remarkable
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

That's what I thought but I didn't want to say it... ;)
  • Options

Quincel said:

You may be right but I think it will hurt them if they are seen to be propping May up in any way.
    Not necessarily - remember Vince Cable traduced labour's tax and spend policies last week in a live TV interview
  • Options
    Chris said:

blueblue said:

Chris said:

blueblue said:

For what it's worth, I think there's obviously a large element of this tragedy being exploited by people like the SWP, and that's very distasteful.

But the point I'm making is that political partisans can develop a blind spot if they forget how little of their partisanship the general public shares. Smart Tories wouldn't be shrugging their shoulders and saying "The world's gone mad." They'd be trying to understand why so many people now find Corbyn so appealing. Then maybe next time they wouldn't be taken by surprise as they were last week.
    I wasn't particularly taken by surprise. The godawful manifesto spooked and depressed me so much I finally delurked on here when it came out - hence the name "blueblue". There are some massive structural issues underpinning the Corbynite vote, not least housing and education costs, which were always going to explode one day.

But what we've been seeing for the last couple of days is mass hysteria that could gift the country to an extremist - and that's bloody terrifying.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Dire interview from May on Newsnight, someone end this.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    glw said:

I probably sound like a jobsworth twat,

No you are quite right. People who know nothing about fire fighting, construction, planning, building regulations and much more are filling the airwaves and papers with ill informed speculation that in some cases will encourage dangerous behaviour. I can't think of any previous disaster in the UK that has seen such irresponsible reporting from across the board.
    It's as if any last pretence of old-fashioned impartial and objective news journalism has finally collapsed with this incident, and the MSM has decided to go all-in with the rumour, guff, emoting and fake news of social media. They're all at it, equally, so the only sensible response is what my father and no doubt many others have started doing - not watching the news anymore, and going to bed instead.
  • Options

Don't know Nick. It's going to be a very hot weekend and tensions are rising... Hopefully we won't have any riots but I think it would be a brave (or complacent) man to say things won't blow this weekend.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Re a Corbyn government, it could happen but it certainly isn't guaranteed. The last few weeks should surely tell anyone that politics is highly unpredictable right now and public opinion is very fickle.

We'll have to wait and see what the future brings.

But I actually think the government may well survive for several years yet. They'll get the QS pasted and only focus on Brexit for the rest of the term.

Corbynisn is coming Apocalypse,I'm looking forward to my new house ;-)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

It's the point which the Conservative campaign should have been making 100% certain was understood by everyone. Instead they just stood aside.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    Pulpstar said:

The housing situation has reached an extent where 59% of the population have taken an essentially Marxist view on property rights.

Remarkable

Well, they've taken that view against absentee, foreign, millionaires.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Which news feed is reporting mayhem on the streets? BBC reporting quite the opposite.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    HaroldO said:

Pulpstar said:

Remarkable

Well, they've taken that view against absentee, foreign, millionaires.
    Yes, I can sort of understand it in London where billionaires use property as a piggy bank.
  • Options

Corbynisn is coming Apocalypse,I'm looking forward to my new house ;-)

The new house may be nice, but your enjoyment might be somewhat diluted by having to share it with dozens of others, as in Havana after the revolution.

• Options
    edited June 2017

I expect the MPs will put Davis and Hammond forward as the final 2 to the membership, if and when May goes, Boris has too many enemies and no one else will get near the support needed. Hammond actually wanted an early election because he did not want one after Brexit which suggests he will be more open to compromise in the Brexit talks if he becomes PM
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

I'd like to thank Nick for trying to calm us all down on PB. We need some of that Scandinavian coolness right now IMO.
  • Options

Quincel said:

Not necessarily - remember Vince Cable traduced labour's tax and spend policies last week in a live TV interview
    Dr Vince was a Lab > SDP switcher the last time the Labour Party went mad...
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

It's the point which the Conservative campaign should have been making 100% certain was understood by everyone. Instead they just stood aside.
    What point do you mean Richard?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Pulpstar said:

Remarkable

Not necessarily - how many people know the definition of the word requisition.

If the question had asked about stealing people's private property without compensation then I doubt it would have attracted as much support.

Still significant support I'm sure - but nowhere near as much.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Remarkable

It's balls. They don't want an end to the evil, oppressive capitalists' monopolization of property - they want to be the ones doing the oppressing.

p.s. How many of the 59% are the same people who were petrified the Tories wouldn't let them inherit granny's house?
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

I hope so - but there is a mood in the air. I have seen a lot of non-political types both inside london and out urging people to stay safe this weekend, a lot of talk of riots on Facebook comments and so on.

It is a slim chance, I grant you that, but the country feels much closer to strife than it has in my lifetime.

Something is different this time - it's a gut reaction, an instinct, but you feel it all the same.

The events of the last few weeks have made me realise just how much of an 'us vs them' mentality there is out there at the moment. It is easy to see how things can escalate from here but hard to see how they are defused, or how quickly.
    Social media has a share of the blame.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

What point do you mean Richard?
    That the cost of McDonnell's humongous spending spree would fall on the neither rich nor poor, for the obvious reasons that the poor have no money and the rich can get their money out, or simply won't be rich when the economy contracts.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    MikeL said:

Pulpstar said:

Remarkable

Not necessarily - how many people know the definition of the word requisition.

If the question had asked about stealing people's private property without compensation then I doubt it would have attracted as much support.

Still significant support I'm sure - but nowhere near as much.
    The question should be 'Would it be fair to requisition your property..?'
This discussion has been closed.