Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On Betfair the chance of a CON majority edge to lowest level s

Comments

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Roger said:

DavidL said:

On reflection there were 2 different discussions going on last night and the venn diagram showed them barely touching.

On the one side there was Corbyn eager to have the State spending more on just about anything really, even nuclear weapons. Happy to claim that this could all be paid for by an increase in CT (why does no one ever point out that reducing CT has increased the yield and reversing it may well have the opposite effect) and the top 5%. Really a fantasy land but not unattractive as there are a lot of things we would and should spend more money on if we had it.

On the other there was May struggling to make the books credible (balance is still fading into the distance). Stuck with the reality of government she cannot promise more money for education despite the per capita spend falling, she cannot promise more police, she needs substantially more tax to pay for proper Social Care, she needs to keep going with cuts such as means testing the WFA and she needs to do all this in the context of Brexit with the uncertainty that is undoubtedly creating.

The question for the country is do we want the fantasy or the reality? I am not completely confident what the answer is. The reality looks pretty uninviting.

She is promising a Brexit deal that will improve living standards. That is one hell of a promise and one that is not necessarily grounded in any kind of reality.

Listening to the boss of Ryanair who have just made record profits say of Brexit if we don't manage to negotiate another 'Open Sky' policy with the EU from 2019 we will literally not be able to fly to Europe.

It's becoming obvious that not only have we got the worst poker players at the table but we've also got the worst deck.

Yep - this stuff tends to be poo-pooed by ardent Leavers, but it all has to be sorted out as part of a deal. If we walk away it won't be. There are so many other areas where this applies. What we need to get - but won't - is what the government believes a bad deal that leads to the UK walking away would actually look like.

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Blue_rog said:

It may be my political bias but I think if both leaders were injected with truth serum then May would say pretty much what she's been saying whereas Corbyn would come out with the most hair raising left wing crap

I caight the last two mins of corbyn accidentally whilst channel hopoing , on C4 plus i hr
    You only had to look at the lying eyes of Corbyn. When pressed about the Queen. He effectively said, I can't do anything about it, we have a democracy, but when I get hold of the levers of power.. there was a nasty smirk.. Odious odious man.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    edited May 2017
    Cyan said:

alex. said:

Cyan said:

RobD said:

If 18-24 turnout is within 10% of 65-74 turnout I'll do an Ashdown and eat my hat.

18-24 turnout may not be that high, but I think it will be much higher than 43% (2015). It may well beat the 64% achieved in the EU referendum. Tuition fees and maintenance grants are a very important issue in many families.
    Even the 50%+ who don't go to university?
    Not so much for them, but going to university will look more attractive for some people when grants are available and they won't have to be in huge debt when they leave.

Reintroducing grants for fees and maintenance would be a major poke in the eye for the banks but it may be difficult for the Trident group in Labour to scupper.

The relative fraction of poorer students going to uni in England has gone up quicker than in Scotland, where there are no tuition fees.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/27/poor-scots-squeezed-out-of-university-by-snp-cap-on-places/
  • Options

Roger said:

DavidL said:

On reflection there were 2 different discussions going on last night and the venn diagram showed them barely touching.

On the one side there was Corbyn eager to have the State spending more on just about anything really, even nuclear weapons. Happy to claim that this could all be paid for by an increase in CT (why does no one ever point out that reducing CT has increased the yield and reversing it may well have the opposite effect) and the top 5%. Really a fantasy land but not unattractive as there are a lot of things we would and should spend more money on if we had it.

On the other there was May struggling to make the books credible (balance is still fading into the distance). Stuck with the reality of government she cannot promise more money for education despite the per capita spend falling, she cannot promise more police, she needs substantially more tax to pay for proper Social Care, she needs to keep going with cuts such as means testing the WFA and she needs to do all this in the context of Brexit with the uncertainty that is undoubtedly creating.

The question for the country is do we want the fantasy or the reality? I am not completely confident what the answer is. The reality looks pretty uninviting.

She is promising a Brexit deal that will improve living standards. That is one hell of a promise and one that is not necessarily grounded in any kind of reality.

Listening to the boss of Ryanair who have just made record profits say in relation to Brexit "if we don't manage to negotiate another 'Open Sky' policy with the EU from 2019 we will literally not be able to fly to Europe".

It's becoming obvious that not only have we got the worst poker players at the table but we've also got the worst deck.
    The boss of Ryanair? Michael O'Leary? Who is Irish? Who has made a fortune by resenting having to carry his passengers?

OK, then.

Well, that proves it. No need to take anything that he says seriously. He's Irish. So, when we walk away from a deal what you are saying is that there will be no affects on air travel. In other words, in this area, the UK will continue to accept the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice. Is that right?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    IanB2 said:

My experience is that won't says are almost always Conservative. As soon as anyone starts the "between me and the ballot box" speech my card is already marked with a tick in the Tory column.

Given social media these days, you can sort of see why...
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Roger said:

DavidL said:

Listening to the boss of Ryanair who have just made record profits say of Brexit if we don't manage to negotiate another 'Open Sky' policy with the EU from 2019 we will literally not be able to fly to Europe.

The problem with both positions, a bad hand or complex negotiations, I don't have great confidence in May, but I have no confidence at all in Corbyn.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

My experience is that won't says are almost always Conservative. As soon as anyone starts the "between me and the ballot box" speech my card is already marked with a tick in the Tory column.

Yup. If you went by social media posts labour would win every election.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

I'm reminded of Cameron's wise words on the subject of Twitter and Britain.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Blue_rog said:

It may be my political bias but I think if both leaders were injected with truth serum then May would say pretty much what she's been saying whereas Corbyn would come out with the most hair raising left wing crap

Theresa May with truth serum might tell us what taxes she plans to increase, and by how much, as well as what she has in mind for Brexit that she claimed she needed this election to get a mandate for.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,758
    No deal is better than a bad deal is like saying no government is better than a bad government. It's arrant nonsense but nonsense that seems to get the approval of the public. She has an election to win, so she will say anything to get elected, just as her opponents do. We should hope she will ignore it when she is safely re-elected. I am worried though.
    Scott_P said:
  • Options
    MattyNethMattyNeth Posts: 60
    Couple of snippets from the Survation tables.

May leads Corbyn 41-39 as best PM in the 25-34 age group which is interesting.

Looks like the under 34 years and the elderly are fading away from the SNP. Sell SNP seats?
  • Options
    MattyNeth said:

Looks like the under 34 years and the elderly are fading away from the SNP. Sell SNP seats?

The 18-34 Scottish subsample must be minute! :p
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    RobD said:

HaroldO said:

Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

The mention of Cameron and the suggestion of ‘his wisdom in the same sentence must rate as highly unusual!
  • Options
    RobD said:

MattyNeth said:

You can only go with the data you are provided
  • Options
    There was meant to be a smiley face there RodD :-)
  • Options
    FF43 said:

No deal is better than a bad deal is like saying no government is better than a bad government. It's arrant nonsense but nonsense that seems to get the approval of the public. She has an election to win, so she will say anything to get elected, just as her opponents do. We should hope she will ignore it when she is safely re-elected. I am worried though.

Scott_P said:
    It is nonsense, of course. But she is making very big promises. They will win her the election easily and maybe that is all she cares about.

• Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Cyan said:

alex. said:

Cyan said:

RobD said:

If 18-24 turnout is within 10% of 65-74 turnout I'll do an Ashdown and eat my hat.

18-24 turnout may not be that high, but I think it will be much higher than 43% (2015). It may well beat the 64% achieved in the EU referendum. Tuition fees and maintenance grants are a very important issue in many families.
    Even the 50%+ who don't go to university?
    Not so much for them, but going to university will look more attractive for some people when grants are available and they won't have to be in huge debt when they leave.

Reintroducing grants for fees and maintenance would be a major poke in the eye for the banks but it may be difficult for the Trident group in Labour to scupper.

The current university loan system is effect one where the student signs up to a graduate tax. The government "loan" has zero implications on personal debt as considered by commercial lenders for housing etc.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Roger said:

DavidL said:

The problem with both positions, a bad hand or complex negotiations, I don't have great confidence in May, but I have no confidence at all in Corbyn.
    Keir Starmer will do the negotiations. PM Corbyn will concentrate on domestic policy.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    Former Panama dictator Manuel Noriega has died
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-40090143
  • Options

Roger said:

DavidL said:

Keir Starmer will do the negotiations. PM Corbyn will concentrate on domestic policy.
    Joy of joys.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HaroldO said:

Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

And yet it is the blue team which places its faith in social media -- though perhaps Facebook and Youtube more than Twitter. Did you somehow miss the pb Tories creaming themselves over the number of shares of the Tories' anti-Corbyn attack videos?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    FF43 said:

Scott_P said:
    What would 'no deal’ mean?
    As I understand it it would mean, in the short-term anyway, tariffs on much, if not all of that whuch buy we buy and, more importnatly, on all of that which we sell.
    O a more mundane level it would also mean that airline passengers in the ‘BA situation’ would not be entitled to compensation, and that roaming charges in the EU would return.
    Neither wold be popular!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    MattyNeth said:

RobD said:

MattyNeth said:

You can only go with the data you are provided
    Nevertheless the margin of error for one party in one (ok two) age groups in 10% of the country ought to demand some sort of health warning along the lines of "this data is probably meaningless..."? ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2017

RobD said:

HaroldO said:

Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

And yet it is the blue team which places its faith in social media -- though perhaps Facebook and Youtube more than Twitter. Did you somehow miss the pb Tories creaming themselves over the number of shares of the Tories' anti-Corbyn attack videos?
    Yeah, Facebook is probably more representative than twitter.

Approaching 3.8million, btw :p
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    If you got time,Tim farron on radio 5 between 9 & 10.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

RobD said:

HaroldO said:

Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

An opportunity to share the link again

https://order-order.com/2017/05/27/corbyn-ira-attack-ad-hits-1-million-views/
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Cyan said:

RobD said:

midwinter said:

RobD said:

midwinter said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

rkrkrk said:

Survation have 82% of 18-24s certain to vote. I'd suggest that's a tad high: https://t.co/HitSvFb1Ar

..from electiondata...

If you were looking for a single piece of evidence that pollsters were trying to manipulate data to engineer a much closer election: Exhibit A....

For all their mass of complex algorithms, is there no common sense filter applied at Survation? Does nobody press a WTF??? button?
    Isn't that just the result of how people are responding to the question how likely are you to vote?

65-74 group is at 89%. Interesting that 25-34 is the lowest at 71%.

The problem for the pollsters I guess is if these people will actually do what they say.
    I don't think anyone is seriously expecting turnout at 90% for 65-74, or 82% for 18-24.
    That doesn't really matter for the poll, though, does it? What matters is how the actual relative turnout on June 8th compares to the relative turnout in either the poll data, or the pollsters' historically-derived model, whichever they have used to produce their final VI.
    What was it in recent elections?
    Nearer a 40% gap

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DA_BSkOXgAAGihY.jpg
    Cheers Rob. See what you mean.
    The idea that turnout amongst that age group will somehow double is ridiculous, especially since they were the only age cohort to see turnout drop between 2015 and the referendum.
    "EU referendum: youth turnout almost twice as high as first thought": 64%, not 36%, according to Opinium.
    Ipsos did their own followup:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/869132045523595265

But a crucial point here is that there is a limit on the 18-24 numbers due to registration, as you can see by the 12 point gap between % of all in the age group and % of electorate.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

leslie48 said:

I wonder if unlike 2015 the austerity is catching up with the Conservatives be it school funding effecting most voter's kids including GCSE & A Level choices , departing teachers, crises in maternity units and stories of exhausted nurses and medics doing long hours , decrease in local policing, the true impact of social care crisis on the middle aged kids, and the massive loans and help kids need for uni. Its getting cumulative I think and could be cutting through to female and younger voters.

Nope. A major lesson of this campaign is that a left wing message could resonate, but it has to be delivered by someone who does not come with the baggage that Corbyn brings.

I don't know. Is there perhaps something in the idea that people are voting for Labour because they fell safe that it won't win (see the repeated postings of a couple of people on here). To move from that to a Left (not centre left) platform with a better face would win has something of the one more heave argument beloved by Benn, Heffer et al.
  • Options

Worried about Wishart?

twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/869448471820083202

I wonder how many times she'll mention the Tories.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

I don't think social media has anything to do it!

Anyhow they will tell you, if you ask nicely. Generally done by finding a way of indicating that you might put them down as possible Labour...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    RobD said:

MattyNeth said:

2 people!

Interestingly they found 16 people voting SNP but only 15 gave their age.
  • Options
    JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    Conservatives now again switched by the bookies to showing as favourites to gain Perth and North Perthshire from Pete Wishart, the SNP MP since 2001.

Are the Tories really going to overturn the 10K SNP majority in the teeth of the SNP manifesto having been switched to Perth (after Manchester) followed by a mass canvas by the many members attending the launch?

I don't think Wishart is going to lose all of his majority no matter what may happen elsewhere..
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

HaroldO said:

Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

3.79m views.....
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Roger said:

DavidL said:

Foxy,have you changed to labour because everything you post is pro labour,nothing now in lib dems interest ?

It's not a criticism just a observation.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    matt said:

leslie48 said:

I wonder if unlike 2015 the austerity is catching up with the Conservatives be it school funding effecting most voter's kids including GCSE & A Level choices , departing teachers, crises in maternity units and stories of exhausted nurses and medics doing long hours , decrease in local policing, the true impact of social care crisis on the middle aged kids, and the massive loans and help kids need for uni. Its getting cumulative I think and could be cutting through to female and younger voters.

Nope. A major lesson of this campaign is that a left wing message could resonate, but it has to be delivered by someone who does not come with the baggage that Corbyn brings.

I don't know. Is there perhaps something in the idea that people are voting for Labour because they fell safe that it won't win (see the repeated postings of a couple of people on here). To move from that to a Left (not centre left) platform with a better face would win has something of the one more heave argument beloved by Benn, Heffer et al.
    I think it is more fundamental than that. In every electoral contest during these troubled times there is a 'break the system' candidate, and Corbyn has now assumed that mantle. Such messages always attract the young and repel the elderly, which is exactly what we see.

A third of the French were prepared to vote for Le Pen on the same basis, despite her baggage being heavier than Corbyn's (but with the compensating advantage of a base political constituency of more appeal to older voters).

When people are in a mood for radical change, there is space for a leading radical candidate. It didn't work in 1983 because the mood was different (i.e. the government was already imposing quite enough radical change already and the reaction was to the contrary).

Labour's gamble in sticking left is that the mood will be the same in 2022.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Mr. Pulpstar, indeed. But if we are seeing shy Conservatives in the polls (or not seeing them, to be more exact) that'd lead to a very high polling figure on the day.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

MattyNeth said:

2 people!

Whilst PBers will have stocked up well with popcorn for 8/9th June I feel it my duty to advice the site to also be well provisioned with rotten tomatoes for some pollsters ....
  • Options

Mr. Pulpstar, indeed. But if we are seeing shy Conservatives in the polls (or not seeing them, to be more exact) that'd lead to a very high polling figure on the day.

Oh, you are a big tease!
  • Options
    JackW said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

MattyNeth said:

2 people!

Whilst PBers will have stocked up well with popcorn for 8/9th June I feel it my duty to advice the site to also be well provisioned with rotten tomatoes for some pollsters ....
    Blink once for ICM, twice for YouGov. :smiley:
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Good morning election run in buddies.
    Due to my firm belief not to intrude on the private grief of politicians facing the public I used PB to gauge last night, and have since seen a handful of clips. Seems pretty obvious the remainder of the campaign will be the Tories trying to run in on leadership and Brexit, mop up the last vestiges of waverers. Especially expect to hear about Corbyn being prepared to sign ANY deal, however bad for Britain. He did well of course, he managed to avoid opening fire whilst draped in an Irish Tricolour and didn't threaten to nut the Queen. Falklands will haunt him though.
    Survation turnout = lol. I bet half the certain to vote kids aren't even registered. They'll turn up and be all huffy and on the news on June 8. And the crusties won't be as high either. The lure of countdown and tincture will keep 20 odd% of them in the armchair.
    On a more serious (hilarious) note, I fully expect the Lib Dems to be annihilated. There's a chance they will be equal in seats with the Greens IMHO. One of my partners friends has come out as a sandalista and she's wrong about everything that ever happened or will happen.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Interesting, thanks for the link.

The biggest source of error in the poll is one we haven't yet spotted. The description on page two says that the sample is weighted first by demography and second by stated intention to vote. So far so good (except with the potential bias noted downthread). It then says that anyone who said they were undecided, or refused to say, is eliminated from the sample used to produce the final VI.

If you look at the detailed data, it is striking that significantly fewer of the 18-24 cohort say they were undecided, or refused to say, than the older age groups. The young are all fired up for Corbyn and willing to say (which in my mind does suggest that their turnout may surprise on the upside).

But the effect of eliminating the DKs and WSs without any further balancing is to reduce the proportions of middle aged people remaining in the sample below that of the youngsters. Yet some of these respondents will vote, as they always do, and I don't believe that the relative uncertainty as to VI amongst the middle aged cohorts will translate into lower turnout? With VI so differentiated by age, the age balance of the final sample is the single key factor in polling correctly.

Very good spot. We have seen on here that a bunch of folk are still not sure how best to express their dislike of Corbyn - stick with Labour but holding their nose, vote Tory to keep Corbyn out but they are really LibDems, vote LibDem to keep out Corbyn but they are really Labour, go Tory for the first time even though they have previously always voted Labour.....

When those Don't Knows finally resolve their conscience and decide how to vote, I don't see it being anything but bad news for Labour on 8th June.
    The undecideds are just as likely to be those repelled by May as Corbyn.

They also tend to be younger women (men seem more decisive in polls), a demographic more likely to break for Labour.
    Are there any stats on this, or is it all just guesswork at this point? Would have thought undecideds were more likely to stick with the status quo.
    I don't agree with Mark that they are necessarily less likely to vote for Corbyn - but the point is that they will break with the rest of their age group. Eliminating them from the sample is downweighting their demographic in the final VI.

Probably right. If you follow up with a jocular "but if I peered over your shoulder, would I like what I see?" they quite often give you a wink or a nod!
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    leslie48 said:

What austerity is that ?

During the last decade governments have borrowed and spent over a trillion quid and Britain has had deficits in both trade and tourism every single month.

It would be refreshing if the people who want more government spending on W and on X and on Y and on Z would, just once, suggest how to create some more wealth to pay for it.
  • Options

I fear one of PBers most eminent medical men is in need of the finest treatment the NHS may provide. Is there a brain surgeon in the house?

:smile:

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

HaroldO said:

Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

3.79m views.....
    Accelerating. The last million took 24 hours (to 4 pm yday) should hit 4 m by lunchtime. Dunno what this means, really, but where would we be if we banned iffy and incomprehensible statistics from the site?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    JackW said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

MattyNeth said:

2 people!

Barring a last second polling surge by the SNP I am predicting a very unhappy night for ten. It looks like the differential turn out that was key at Holyrood and the council elections is going to carry through to Westminster. Con voters are far more likely to vote and the SNP is leaking votes back to Labour whilst Con holds steady.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723

leslie48 said:

What austerity is that ?

During the last decade governments have borrowed and spent over a trillion quid and Britain has had deficits in both trade and tourism every single month.

It would be refreshing if the people who want more government spending on W and on X and on Y and on Z would, just once, suggest how to create some more wealth to pay for it.
    Reverse Brexit.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:
    As I understand it it would mean, in the short-term anyway, tariffs on much, if not all of that whuch buy we buy and, more importnatly, on all of that which we sell.
    O a more mundane level it would also mean that airline passengers in the ‘BA situation’ would not be entitled to compensation, and that roaming charges in the EU would return.
    Neither wold be popular!

No deal means just that. We would walk away from all agreements in which the ECJ currently has jurisdiction with nothing to replace the current arrangements.

• Options
    RobD said:

JackW said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

MattyNeth said:

2 people!

You(gov) turn if you want too I(CM) am not for turning.
  • Options
    JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

MattyNeth said:

2 people!

You(gov) turn if you want too I(CM) am not for turning.
    Nurse!
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Good afternoon friends and foes.

Any polls expected today?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,323

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:
    Neither wold be popular!
    It would mean WTO terms, wouldn't it? Or, to quote the PM herself, 'the consequences would be dire.'
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216
    Mortimer said:

RobD said:

leslie48 said:

I hope for your sake that McDonnell doesn't win any future leadership election. :p
    As a mate put it in a txt yesterday, Corbyn isn't the worst Labour could offer. Only the third worst behind Abott and McDonnell...
    I suppose a similar construction could be applied to the Tories and Tessy, Andrea & Boris.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

JackW said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

MattyNeth said:

2 people!

Barring a last second polling surge by the SNP I am predicting a very unhappy night for ten. It looks like the differential turn out that was key at Holyrood and the council elections is going to carry through to Westminster. Con voters are far more likely to vote and the SNP is leaking votes back to Labour whilst Con holds steady.
    My Conservative Wobble Bottom Index presently indicates 42-48 SNP seats.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,655

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:
    Neither wold be popular!

No deal means just that. We would walk away from all agreements in which the ECJ currently has jurisdiction with nothing to replace the current arrangements.

I'm sure that some people think 'No Deal' means that we remain in the EU. They are in for a shock.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Good afternoon friends and foes.

Any polls expected today?

Presumably Kantar, maybe the ICM we usually get on a Monday?
  • Options
    Pagan said:

IanB2 said:

It would however be more sensible to take stamp duty - which affects only people who move - and turn it into some sort of annual tax linked to land or property. On average people move every seven years, yet stamp duty falls only on those who move, and so discourages moving to a new job, downsizing (or upsizing for a new family), all things we shouldn't be discouraging.

Doesn't change the fact that any annual tax you put on property owners will land on the back of tenants not property owners. By definition the have nots of our society.

I have had to rent for the last 13 years as can no longer get a mortgage and I can assure you from my experience and that of my friends that an increase in the landlords costs get passed straight down
    Having been a tenant I agree with you that in the immediate it does often seem like that. But ultimately the price of renting a property depends on supply and demand. Taxation doesn't change either of these directly. There might be an indirect effect if landlords exited the market discouraged by extra costs, but in the current economic environment I wouldn't expect that to be significant.

The immediate effect is likely to be a small reduction in the value of the property, reflecting the transfer of the tax burden to the current owner from the future buyer.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    JackW said:

I fear one of PBers most eminent medical men is in need of the finest treatment the NHS may provide. Is there a brain surgeon in the house?

Not psychiatrist? ;-)
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007

leslie48 said:

What austerity is that ?

The austerity that means most councils up north will be reduced to legally required bare basics and social care within the next 2 years...

Sadly the deficit is being spent on benefits...
  • Options
    Mr. D, I'm not a tease, I'm not a pollster!

I'm just an ordinary morris dancing F1 tipster and part-time geneticist who lives in the lab under his castle and is in the process of constructing a space cannon.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343

DavidL said:

Oh sure, there are elements of fantasy on both sides and that is a good example. But she is burdened down with the responsibilities of office and Corbyn is not. Most of the perceptions of who is having a good campaign and who is not come down to that.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Starmer & ? (Emily?) as against Davis/Boris/Fox isn't that uneven a match.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The key point for this election being she didn't claim them as she was a remainer. She's clean of leave tactics and can position herself as regretfully but diligently implementing the will of the people.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Oh sure, there are elements of fantasy on both sides and that is a good example. But she is burdened down with the responsibilities of office and Corbyn is not. Most of the perceptions of who is having a good campaign and who is not come down to that.
    The likely coincidence of the next economic downturn with Brexit is going to be hugely significant. People tend to judge by absolute not relative circumstance, so if we are in economic difficulty the government will have a hard time even if Brexit hasn't contributed. If the shock of Brexit makes things worse (as is exceedingly likely, at least in the short term) things could get very torrid indeed.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343

leslie48 said:

What austerity is that ?

I find it depressing that it is so commonly accepted that austerity is some sort of lifestyle choice rather than an economic necessity.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

leslie48 said:

What austerity is that ?

Reverse Brexit.
    If you hadn't noticed we're already in the EU while running these deficits.

Stay in the EU and the bill will go exponential.

You'd need to turn straw into gold to afford that.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    edited May 2017

Roger said:

DavidL said:

she cannot promise more police, she needs substantially more tax to pay for proper Social Care, she needs to keep going with cuts such as means testing the WFA and she needs to do all this in the context of Brexit with the uncertainty that is undoubtedly creating.

Thinking about where to put ones X Corbyn for all his newly revealed personal qualities has the worst team behind him that I can remember. No sensible leader would choose Diane Abbott to sell Labour during a general election campaign. What's more some of his spending ideas sound whacko.

Theresa May seems superficially pleasant but she's the hardest of all hard Brexiteers which as someone upthread has suggested is going to be the most defining issue of the next five years.

Farron can only win in a few carefully chosen seats so to all intents and purposes can be ignored.

So it's definitely a case of the best of a bad job. But because the election is for five years and Brexit is forever It has to be Corbyn. There's just too much at stake to allow Boris Fox and Davis to wreck the country just to avoid the short term eccentricities of Corbyn.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

DavidL said:

On the one side th.

Thinking about where to put ones X Corbyn for all his newly revealed personal qualities has the worst team behind him that I can remember. No sensible leader would choose Diane Abbott to sell Labour during a general election campaign. What's more some of his spending ideas sound whacko.

Theresa May seems superficially pleasant but she's the hardest of all hard Brexiteers which as someone upthread has suggested is going to be the most defining issue of the next five years.

Farron can only win in a few carefully chosen seats so to all intents and purposes can be ignored.

So it's definitely a case of the best of a bad job. But because the election is for five years and Brexit is forever It has to be Corbyn. There's just too much at stake to allow Boris Fox and Davis to wreck the country just to avoid the short term eccentricities of Corbyn.
    The one big problem with that Roger is that Corbyn's plans will take a huge amount of time and effort to implement and his eye will be off the Brexit ball. It's a huge huge risk. The blue version is the safer and probably saves labour. Government 17-22 will destroy them forever.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

leslie48 said:

What austerity is that ?

I find it depressing that it is so commonly accepted that austerity is some sort of lifestyle choice rather than an economic necessity.
    Austerity is not an economic necessity and may well make things worse, as for instance when Osborne's Plan A choked off the economic recovery he inherited from Labour (insert Ed Balls' flatlining hand gesture here).
  • Options
    JonWCJonWC Posts: 285
    edited May 2017

leslie48 said:

What austerity is that ?

leslie48 said:

What austerity is that ?

You have the answer.. if by some mysterious force Britain suddenly switched enough consumption away from imports/foreign travel in favour of the domestic alternatives to flatten the current account the budget deficit would be wiped out instantly, even on quite a conservative estimate of the multiplier.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Roger said:

Roger said:

DavidL said:

On the one side there was Corbyn eager to have the State spending more on just about anything really, even nuclear weapons. Happy to claim that this could all be paid for by an increase in CT

she cannot promise more police, she needs substantially more tax to pay for proper Social Care, she needs to keep going with cuts such as means testing the WFA and she needs to do all this in the context of Brexit with the uncertainty that is undoubtedly creating.

An interesting way of describing Corbyn's position
  • Options
    JPJ2 said:

Conservatives now again switched by the bookies to showing as favourites to gain Perth and North Perthshire from Pete Wishart, the SNP MP since 2001.

Are the Tories really going to overturn the 10K SNP majority in the teeth of the SNP manifesto having been switched to Perth (after Manchester) followed by a mass canvas by the many members attending the launch?

I don't think Wishart is going to lose all of his majority no matter what may happen elsewhere..

It is a big seat with a rural element I doubt the SNP launch there will make much difference but on local election results and current polls it will be a Tory gain
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

JackW said:

Starmer & ? (Emily?) as against Davis/Boris/Fox isn't that uneven a match.
    Clearly having Fox involved is like securing a ball and chain to your best relay swimmer. Unfortunately for Labour they can't find the pool, have lost all their speedos and half the team drowned after Diane Abbott advised on a Dover training session that the English Channel was only 200 metres wide.
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    edited May 2017
    @Roger

You had me there... right up to the last sentence. "Eccentricities"? "Short term"? Seriously?
  • Options

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:
    Neither wold be popular!
    Nor would free movement and paying 100 billion euros to the EU if that is the price of any deal
  • Options
    JackW said:

Fear not for my marbles, they are intact. I am predicting a 76 seat Tory majority.

The gains required for even a Labour minority government are totally implausible. This election has always been about the size of a Tory majority, not its existence.

Personally I would favour NOC, but I cannot see that as likely.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:
    Neither wold be popular!
    It would mean WTO terms, wouldn't it? Or, to quote the PM herself, 'the consequences would be dire.'

It would mean WTO terms on trade. It would mean paralysis and chaos on anything else where the ECJ currently has ultimate jurisdiction.

When you think of what No Deal would mean in practice, the only Bad Deal a sane government could walk away from would include some kind of military occupation by the EU.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Just a point about IRA/Hamas/Falklands etc. It's not about convincing the nation or the youth, it's about convincing 100-200,000 WWC voters in the Midlands and North that he's unpatriotic and dangerous. It might well work as it's now becoming a daily drip drip drip like social care was for a while the other way.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

leslie48 said:

What austerity is that ?

At some time the financial mentality of this country changed from spending what we have and earn to spending what we think we deserve.

Even the old leftists of the 1970s and 1980s wanted to redistribute wealth to fund spending but now the widespread feeling is that we are entitled to spend money without worrying where it is coming from.

Things are not going to end well.
  • Options
    JPJ2 said:

Banff & Buchan will see the biggest Tory swing I think.
  • Options
    Mr. Richard, indeed. The culture of entitlement will hit the brick wall of reality sooner or later.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

JPJ2 said:

I think 2010 vote shares will be instructive here as to where they might gain.
    Argyll and Bute looks an option, as does NE Fife if the Libs collapse further.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711
    Is Labour still pushing for the moronic 'saints day holiday?' What a way to bugger up productivity in Mar/Apr.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

JPJ2 said:

NE Fife will be one of the few Lib Dem successes of the evening.
  • Options
    Sniffing the air this morning I get the impression the Tory party would bank a 70 seat majority if you offered it but Team May still believes it will exceed 400 seats
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:
    Neither wold be popular!
    Nor would free movement and paying 100 billion euros to the EU if that is the price of any deal

Euros 100 billion is small change compared to the damage a "no deal" Brexit would cause. The reality, of course, is that no deal is a deal: the worst possible one that could be achieved,

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

JPJ2 said:

NE Fife will be one of the few Lib Dem successes of the evening.
    Not so sure. Three way marginal.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,758

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:
    Neither wold be popular!
    It would mean the absence of any regime to govern our international affairs because these are currently regulated by our membership of the EU. Both internally within the EU and externally through the many bilateral arrangements the EU has with third parties. That our aircraft wouldn't be certified or insured outside our shores without an equivalent arrangement should mean obviously that both sides will of course put such an arrangement in place. But it does require agreement. We just cannot walk away. There are thousands of such issues to be resolved by March 2019. Our government should be totally focused on that. They are not in the slightest
  • Options
    Facebook post of the morning on my feed
    'Really enjoyed BH Monday, I'm voting for 4 more!'
  • Options

Just a point about IRA/Hamas/Falklands etc. It's not about convincing the nation or the youth, it's about convincing 100-200,000 WWC voters in the Midlands and North that he's unpatriotic and dangerous. It might well work as it's now becoming a daily drip drip drip like social care was for a while the other way.

I live in a marginal and I have had targeted facebook messages - it seems a simple way to get the message out where needed. For labour I see some extremely motivated people on facebooked and with signs at houses etc but quite how effective this will be is yet to be seen. A number of those Corbyn advocates have posted stuff on how the Tories masterminded the terrorist attack because of their manifesto launch, which always begs the quest lol to me, wouldn't it have been easier to get the manifesto right.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:
    Neither wold be popular!

It would mean WTO terms on trade. It would mean paralysis and chaos on anything else where the ECJ currently has ultimate jurisdiction.

When you think of what No Deal would mean in practice, the only Bad Deal a sane government could walk away from would include some kind of military occupation by the EU.

There will almost certainly be a deal. But if you walk into a car showroom announcing that you're definitely going to buy a car you're hardly going to get the salesman bending over backwards to make you a good offer. The PMs job is to do the best for the country. I'm not particularly impressed with TM right now but her line on no deal better than a bad deal is exactly the position to take at this point IMO. Especially as she is trying (sort of) to win an election.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:
    Neither wold be popular!

Euros 100 billion is small change compared to the damage a "no deal" Brexit would cause. The reality, of course, is that no deal is a deal: the worst possible one that could be achieved,

So lets say you pay the 100 billion.

Then a year later the EU demands another 100 billion - do you pay that ?

And if you do what happens if a year after that the EU demands yet another 100 billion ?

Is there a point at which you say no ?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:
    Neither wold be popular!
    It would mean the absence of any regime to govern our international affairs because these are currently regulated by our membership of the EU. Both internally within the EU and externally through the many bilateral arrangements the EU has with third parties. That our aircraft wouldn't be certified or insured outside our shores without an equivalent arrangement should mean obviously that both sides will of course put such an arrangement in place. But it does require agreement. We just cannot walk away. There are thousands of such issues to be resolved by March 2019. Our government should be totally focused on that. They are not in the slightest

Yep - it is absolutely terrifying.

In my little world, without any agreement, UK owners of EU granted trademark and design rights will lose them across Europe (even in the UK) if we walk out without an agreement. Needless to say, that would be a very big deal indeed.

• Options

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:
    Neither wold be popular!

Whilst I don't understand the implications of no deal, I voted remain due to the uncertainty of that, surely you can envision a situation where no deal is better than something. When we say no deal we do mean trading as per WTO tariffs, so there is a degree of certainty to that part.

I listened to mishal Hussain on today this morning and she was under the misapprehension that common intelligence sharing in Europe had to have something better for EU countries. She was advised by the security expert that it wouldn't make a difference, and that countries outside EU participate. You would think senior BBC journalists would be better briefed.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    RobD said:

OT, but Thanet South decision is due either today, tomorrow, or Thursday, given that the one-year extension was granted June 1 2016.

Bad timing for the Tories. Only a few points ahead means people will care more, and wither there's a charge, bad, or People can talk about the system being rigged, bad.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:
    Neither wold be popular!

There will almost certainly be a deal. But if you walk into a car showroom announcing that you're definitely going to buy a car you're hardly going to get the salesman bending over backwards to make you a good offer. The PMs job is to do the best for the country. I'm not particularly impressed with TM right now but her line on no deal better than a bad deal is exactly the position to take at this point IMO. Especially as she is trying (sort of) to win an election.
    It is only plausible if there is a credible plan to walk away. There is no evidence that anyone in the government has done that. Indeed DD specifically said that they hadn't.

It is like telling the only car salesman in town that you are going to walk away in a thunderstorm, while simultaneously chucking away your umbrella, pouring a coffee, and sitting in their demonstator. A completely incoherent position.

This discussion has been closed.