Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On Betfair the chance of a CON majority edge to lowest level s

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited May 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On Betfair the chance of a CON majority edge to lowest level since election was called

During tonight’s Channel 4/Sky News Corbyn/May event I monitored the Betfair overall majority market to see if there was any movement.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    edited May 2017
    I think that Corbyn/Falklands quote will be mentioned a lot.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Second :)
  • Options
    I thought that both Corbyn and May did OK and I was surprised that the PM was not tempted to attack the Labour leader in anyway whatsoever.

Fair enough for her to rise above that. I think she only mentioned Labour once, during the audience questions.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,488
    I'm surprised you had that reaction to Paxo on Corbyn, Mike.

Corbyn was certainly doing well for the first half of that interview, but he got completely eviscerated at the end by the questions on drone strikes and the Falklands.

It was all going so well for him...
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Ave_it said:

OK let's be clear

It's the worst CON campaign of all time!

Reckon 1997 might run it close...
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Yawn

Hello MalcolmG - do you think SNP will only lose 20 seats or will it be more than that?
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Yawn

Hello MalcolmG - do you think SNP will only lose 20 seats or will it be more than that?

More importantly, what's the news on the ground in Bootle? :D
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    alex. said:

Ave_it said:

OK let's be clear

2015 seemed fairly dire at times. Right up until the exit poll in fact..
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    Yeah, probably fair to dip, given the polls and recent events.
  • Options
    TypoTypo Posts: 195
    I don't think the decision to call an election is much of an issue at all beyond those of who follow each and every machination. The moment for it to blow up as an issue has probably been and gone now.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

That McDonnell stuff on knee-capping is just poison.

Every time I despair of TMay (about every five minutes) and start to think Hmm, maybe Labour would be OK, I am reminded that the Corbyn leadership team is actively evil.

Not inept, or misguided, or silly, or overly naive, but actively nasty, cruel, dangerous and treasonable. UGH.

"deplorable"?
    For me shocking and I'm not easily shocked. I'm intrigued and appalled as to any context when you could make a joke out of this. Surely it isn't genuine.
    Well according to the write up his spokesperson responded by saying McDonnell doesn't recollect saying it, but still insists it is taken out of context, so I am very sure it is genuine. Otherwise they'd say he has no recollection and it must be a fabrication.
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

midwinter said:

Ave_it said:

OK let's be clear

It's the worst CON campaign of all time! We should have focused on proper policies such as stopping all 'tax credits' which are really handouts to underachieving people to encourage them to produce children and also a radical tax cutting agenda ie allowing people to keep their money ie wot they have worked for.

But its still not Corbyn Abbot or McDonnell!

So it's 45 - 35 min and 40 maj!!!

Then when we do win we can make Amber PM!!!!

Nah. We want Ruth!!!
    Maybe after her second term as First Minister? :p
    You tories are not right in the head, that dud will go nowhere.
    Better be respectful, you're talking about the third Conservative Prime Minister.

It might be after she wins the nobel prize though.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

As long as they can point out in the map where they are.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I thought that both Corbyn and May did OK and I was surprised that the PM was not tempted to attack the Labour leader in anyway whatsoever.

Fair enough for her to rise above that. I think she only mentioned Labour once, during the audience questions.

Seems like an odd but deliberate choice - as I am fond of noting, in contrast to the other manifestos, The Tory one doesn't refer to Corbyn or their opponents at all (The LD one only did a bit, the Labour one liberally, and UKIP was all over the place, naming Corbyn, May, Gordon Brown twice, ever random veteran Labour MPs)
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,488
    midwinter said:

alex. said:

Ave_it said:

OK let's be clear

Yes, I thought all the way through it was an abysmal Tory campaign. They were lauded by the commentariat after the vote as if they'd played a masterstroke. I could never see it that way. I suspect it was, essentially, a dull score draw and the campaign didn't change people's minds all that much.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    Typo said:

I don't think the decision to call an election is much of an issue at all beyond those of who follow each and every machination. The moment for it to blow up as an issue has probably been and gone now.

Yep, we are where we are.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Ave_it said:

Yawn

Hello AveIt , do you wish to put your money where your mouth is?
  • Options
    alex. said:

Ave_it said:

OK let's be clear

I think these things have to be judged with some kind of handicap - and 18 years of Tory rule to have as baggage has to be plenty of handicap.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    midwinter said:

alex. said:

Ave_it said:

OK let's be clear

1987 and 2010 were horrific.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

alex. said:

Ave_it said:

OK let's be clear

I think these things have to be judged with some kind of handicap - and 18 years of Tory rule to have as baggage has to be plenty of handicap.
    Hmmm.. it's going to be tough after a thousand years of PB Tory rule, isn't it?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

As long as they can point out in the map where they are.
    You don't need to know where it is to get worked up about it. Probably should need to, but people can manage it.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    edited May 2017
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

That McDonnell stuff on knee-capping is just poison.

Every time I despair of TMay (about every five minutes) and start to think Hmm, maybe Labour would be OK, I am reminded that the Corbyn leadership team is actively evil.

Not inept, or misguided, or silly, or overly naive, but actively nasty, cruel, dangerous and treasonable. UGH.

"deplorable"?
    For me shocking and I'm not easily shocked. I'm intrigued and appalled as to any context when you could make a joke out of this. Surely it isn't genuine.
    Well according to the write up his spokesperson responded by saying McDonnell doesn't recollect saying it, but still insists it is taken out of context, so I am very sure it is genuine. Otherwise they'd say he has no recollection and it must be a fabrication.
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

midwinter said:

Ave_it said:

OK let's be clear

It's the worst CON campaign of all time! We should have focused on proper policies such as stopping all 'tax credits' which are really handouts to underachieving people to encourage them to produce children and also a radical tax cutting agenda ie allowing people to keep their money ie wot they have worked for.

But its still not Corbyn Abbot or McDonnell!

So it's 45 - 35 min and 40 maj!!!

Then when we do win we can make Amber PM!!!!

Nah. We want Ruth!!!
    Maybe after her second term as First Minister? :p
    You tories are not right in the head, that dud will go nowhere.
    kle4 wrote; Better be respectful, you're talking about the third Conservative Prime Minister.

You mean after HRH Professor Lord Nuttall has collected his....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    Labour PPB going on Fatcha!!!!
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

Corbyn was certainly doing well for the first half of that interview, but he got completely eviscerated at the end by the questions on drone strikes and the Falklands.

That last 5 minutes might motivate a lot of disgruntled Tory voters to get off their collevtive arses. Whatever ones views on May, Corbyn is just vile and that was hammered home tonight.
  • Options

midwinter said:

alex. said:

Ave_it said:

OK let's be clear

Yes, I thought all the way through it was an abysmal Tory campaign. They were lauded by the commentariat after the vote as if they'd played a masterstroke. I could never see it that way. I suspect it was, essentially, a dull score draw and the campaign didn't change people's minds all that much.
    If that is the case again I will apologise to the Tories for doubting them. Though to have very little change from the position at the time of the election being called and election day would be even more dramatic than 2015 as there have been some sizable changes compared to then I believe.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited May 2017
    FPT:

All sides in Labour need to reflect. Moderates must accept a left-wing message can be sold; the left has to accept it can only be effectively sold by someone without the kind of baggage Corbyn has.

Clive Lewis.

- Had a career in the military (so no issues with patriotism)
    - Left wing enough for the membership to accept
    - Normal, personable.

I like him, despite disagreeing with him on a few things.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,323

Yes, if you want to vote against Corbyn, and wanted something from tonite's programme to justify it, that quote would serve well.

If you wanted to vote against May, and likewise were looking for some justification, you'd be spoilt for choice.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

kle4 said:

Better be respectful, you're talking about the third Conservative Prime Minister.

You mean after HRH Professor Lord Nuttall has collected his....
    I've heard he's a shoe-in to be the first sextuple-laureate (physics, chemistry, medicine, literature, peace, and economics).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    FPT:

Y0kel said:
    I'm beginning to think the shy Tory thing is a little bit in effect in the country again

There's still plenty of folk for whom admitting they were voting Tory for the first time would be social death. Keep their heads down, keep schtum, vote for Theresa May and keep their fingers crossed no-one finds out....

A very good friend of mine is rabidly anti-Tory. He has no idea his wife voted for Thatcher in '79!
  • Options
    TMA1TMA1 Posts: 225
    At weakest 'blaming everything on the libdems'

Well colour me unsurprised by that conclusion
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Prediction.

Conservative 43% or higher
    Labour 33% or lower.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

alex. said:

Ave_it said:

OK let's be clear

Has there ever been a Conservative Election campaign that has earned widespread praise (without the benefit of hindsight)? Wasn't it said that Labour ran away with the campaigns in the 80s? Foot won by a country mile.

Conservative manifestos are almost always offering hard choices and handicapped by defending a record in Government. Labour manifestos offer sweeties and are usually going on the offensive against the Government of the day. Miliband's main problem in 2015 was when he found himself having to defend Labour's Govt record.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

FPT:

SouthamObserver said:

All sides in Labour need to reflect. Moderates must accept a left-wing message can be sold; the left has to accept it can only be effectively sold by someone without the kind of baggage Corbyn has.

Clive Lewis.

- Had a career in the military (so no issues with patriotism)
    - Left wing enough for the membership to accept
    - Normal, personable.

I like him, despite disagreeing with him on a few things.

Plus his seat might have been vulnerable without the Corbyn surge effect, so he has reason to be grateful to them, and he's only been on the outs with them for a short while.
  • Options

Yes, if you want to vote against Corbyn, and wanted something from tonite's programme to justify it, that quote would serve well.

If you wanted to vote against May, and likewise were looking for some justification, you'd be spoilt for choice.
    Fair point.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

midwinter said:

alex. said:

Ave_it said:

OK let's be clear

If that is the case again I will apologise to the Tories for doubting them. Though to have very little change from the position at the time of the election being called and election day would be even more dramatic than 2015 as there have been some sizable changes compared to then I believe.
    Most Conservative campaigns are dire - except with hindsight.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

alex. said:

Ave_it said:

OK let's be clear

Hmmm.. it's going to be tough after a thousand years of PB Tory rule, isn't it?
    The Maybot 3000 will see you through the hard times.
  • Options

Well there you go again.
    Yet more proof if any were needed about how pointless all this Q & A malarkey is.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited May 2017
    The last line of the thread header is lovely - A certainity that something might happen.

A masterpiece of simultaneous cake owning and eating.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    Sean T Tory Punters panicking :)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    I presume Ave it has been tucked in by nanny. I doubt he will want to back up his preposterous suggestion, send PM if you are stupid enough. I have a busy day tomorrow so must to bed.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    now official

Britain Elects‏ @britainelects 2m2 minutes ago

Westminster voting intention:

CON: 43% (-)
    LAB: 37% (+3)
    LDEM: 8% (-)
    UKIP: 4% (-)

(via @Survation / 26 - 27 May)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Seems like an odd but deliberate choice - as I am fond of noting, in contrast to the other manifestos, The Tory one doesn't refer to Corbyn or their opponents at all (The LD one only did a bit, the Labour one liberally, and UKIP was all over the place, naming Corbyn, May, Gordon Brown twice, ever random veteran Labour MPs)
    Did the LD one list all the bad decisions they made whilst they were in government?
  • Options
    marke09 said:

now official

Stunning!

Yeah, about in line with others. Lab up, Tory steady, polls either adjusting for not expecting young to turnout as they say they will, or banking on them actually doing it this time.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    Have we found out whether Abbot will be appearing for Labour on Tuesday's show. After tonight's turgidity, the gaiety of the nation needs adding to.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    alex. said:

midwinter said:

alex. said:

Ave_it said:

OK let's be clear

Has there ever been a Conservative Election campaign that has earned widespread praise (without the benefit of hindsight)? Wasn't it said that Labour ran away with the campaigns in the 80s? Foot won by a country mile.

Conservative manifestos are almost always offering hard choices and handicapped by defending a record in Government. Labour manifestos offer sweeties and are usually going on the offensive against the Government of the day. Miliband's main problem in 2015 was when he found himself having to defend Labour's Govt record.
    Cameron got pilloried for 'only' making 97 net gains in 2010.
  • Options
    TMA1 said:

Well there you go again.
    Yet more proof if any were needed about how pointless all this Q & A malarkey is.
    Well no, not entirely, TMA1.

Corbyn isn't my cup of tea and I didn't vote for him, but tonite, for the first time ever, I thought he looked Prime Ministerial. Never expected to write such a thing, but you have to call it how you see it.

Programme was worthwhile for me for that reason, if no other.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    Sky reporting that Corbyn denies attending commemoration for dead IRA soldiers. He must not be allowed to get away with this again.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    Y0kel said:

Prediction.

Labour 33% or lower.

Hey, Y0Kel! Don't worry! Me and my squad of ultimate PB Tories will protect you! Check it out! Independently targeting particle beam phalanx! WVAP! Fry half a Labour majority with this puppy! We got tactical smart missiles, phased plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks... Election flyers...
  • Options
    So it's just the QA on the 2nd of June now, and then election night!
  • Options
    Part of me wonders whether JC actually wants Labour to be totally screwed in this election. Consider this.

The modern Labour party is a tension between the trendy, urbanites, educated youngsters who love JC and what he stands for re open borders, multiculturalism etc and the more traditional WWC voters in non-urban areas who are socially conservative. JC obviously gets his support from the first group and the opposition amongst his PLP mainly comes from those who represent the second.

Anecdotally, JC seems to be repelling many of the second group (see the Atul Hatwal article on Labour Uncut). But, for JC, whose aim is to ensure his brand of hard-Leftism takes ultimate control of the party, that might not be a bad thing. Because, if the non-urban WWC do turn decisively against Labour, it will take many of his Parliamentary opponents with him. What would then be left is a Labour party based in the cities which gets its support from the first group. Their MPs will represent their views and, if they don't, they will get deselected.

End result. JC and his friends end up controlling the Labour Party. Yes, Labour may have shrunk to <120 or possibly <100 but, to the hard Left, that will be a price worth paying to ensure their long-term control of the party. And it will represent a massive leap forward for the hard Left in terms of the ability to project their agenda than they have ever reached before.
  • Options
    TMA1 said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Did the LD one list all the bad decisions they made whilst they were in government?
    Not as I recall - taking credit for things, stopping other things from happening I think was how it went, but I'd have to reread.

An amusing thing about it and the Lab one were the bits clearly written by different people. Farron's opening pitch involved essentially asking for the LDs to be made the main opposition IIRC, rather than act as though he would get into government, and some pledges were written with that sort of thing in mind 'Would oppose attempts to repeal x', that sort of thing, while others were written assuming a LD government 'We would do x' sort of thing. Lab had several examples of the same, though not as many.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

midwinter said:

alex. said:

Ave_it said:

OK let's be clear

Most Conservative campaigns are dire - except with hindsight.
    It is the dire actions in government that make the dire actions campaigning look mundane.
  • Options
    Jason said:

Sky reporting that Corbyn denies attending commemoration for dead IRA soldiers. He must not be allowed to get away with this again.

I don't think the denied it, just that he said it wasn't a commemoration for them.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845
    Have finished with Jezza.

Overall he did quite well. Was better with Faisal and struggled with Paxman.

On to Tezza...
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

I presume Ave it has been tucked in by nanny. I doubt he will want to back up his preposterous suggestion, send PM if you are stupid enough. I have a busy day tomorrow so must to bed.

Hello Malc - sorry my internet link failed!

Hope you are here on #GEnight - unlike at Indyref :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    RobD said:

Jason said:

I don't think the denied it, just that he said it wasn't a commemoration for them.
    That's not why sky are saying.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Have finished with Jezza.

Overall he did quite well. Was better with Faisal and struggled with Paxman.

On to Tezza...

Half way there!
  • Options

Y0kel said:

Prediction.

Labour 33% or lower.

Hey, Y0Kel! Don't worry! Me and my squad of ultimate PB Tories will protect you! Check it out! Independently targeting particle beam phalanx! WVAP! Fry half a Labour majority with this puppy! We got tactical smart missiles, phased plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks... Election flyers...
    Yes Yokel is right - could still be LAB sub 150...
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    kle4 said:

marke09 said:

now official

Stunning!

Yeah, about in line with others. Lab up, Tory steady, polls either adjusting for not expecting young to turnout as they say they will, or banking on them actually doing it this time.
    I think there's something in the ICM analysis of "the young". The young are not a monolithic mass - there is a fundamental dividing line between those who go/aspire to go to university and those who don't. And that's about 50:50. But the split isn't a party political split but between the former, who vote in quite high numbers and have high political engagement, and the latter, who don't (and because they don't are rarely interested in participating in opinion polls). So the result is that the Youth vote is always massively skewed towards the anti-Tory spectrum, but always based on at most half the eligible electorate. And of course the latter have nothing to gain from zero tuition fees etc etc.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Jason said:

RobD said:

Jason said:

Murdoch being anti Labour? Whatever next!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

marke09 said:

now official

Stunning!

Labour's advance is at the expense of Greens and SNP (the latter now down to a very low 2%),
  • Options
    midwinter said:

That last 5 minutes might motivate a lot of disgruntled Tory voters to get off their collevtive arses. Whatever ones views on May, Corbyn is just vile and that was hammered home tonight.
    Yes. Telling that OGH does not come to the other (correct in my book) conclusion that Corbyn simply lied about his past and his intentions for the future.
    To be fair what else does anyone expect him to have said?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

marke09 said:

now official

Stunning!

Labour's advance is at the expense of Greens and SNP (the latter now down to a very low 2%),
    The former, surely?!
  • Options

Jason said:

RobD said:

Jason said:

Murdoch being anti Labour? Whatever next!
    You heard what Corbyn said. Do you believe what he said?
  • Options
    Is the Survation poll out yet?! :lol:
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2017
    My mind is made up.

I could have swung one of three ways, but ultimately I can't condone either the tories or labour leaderships/manifestos.

They're shite.

I'm going to be voting for Tim (not a sin).
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

marke09 said:

now official

Stunning!

The Survation poll is a UK-wide poll, which explains the low SNP figure.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

marke09 said:

now official

Stunning!

The former, surely?!
    It's about 24% of the Scottish vote).
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Is the Survation poll out yet?! :lol:

In case you aren't being a cheeky bugger, here it is: :D

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    Pong said:

My mind is made up.

I could have swung one of three ways, but ultimately I can't condone either the tories or labour leaderships and manifestos.

They're shite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRHetRTOD1Q
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited May 2017
    RobD said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

marke09 said:

now official

Stunning!

Doesn't quite explain it. That is definitely the SNP down

Edit: which I don't believe
  • Options
    Pong said:

My mind is made up.

I could have swung one of three ways, but ultimately I can't condone either the tories or labour leaderships and manifestos.

Wow, that's two votes the LDs have got, Pong! Both are for different reasons, I'm sure, but it's two more than some thought they might get.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Y0kel said:

Prediction.

Labour 33% or lower.

You'd better just start dealing with it, Sunil! Listen to me! Sunil! Just deal with it because we need you and I'm sick of your bullshit.
  • Options
    Who else thinks LD will only win Orkney & Shetland?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Labour planning new ‘Garden Tax’ which would see council tax TREBLE

Small print from Labour’s manifesto reveals a proposal to replace council tax with a new Land Value Tax

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3676113/labour-planning-new-garden-tax-which-would-see-council-tax-treble/
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

I have them on 7-10 seats, with 1-4 gains and commesurate losses.
  • Options

RobD said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

marke09 said:

now official

Stunning!

MoE at that level? SNP are down in the averages, but only slightly.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    I had better things to to this evening than watch the "debate", but I gather Corbyn called the Falklands a "Tory plot"? Surely not?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,758
    Ave_it said:

I think they will get Edinburgh West. I can't answer for the English and Welsh seats.
  • Options

Small print from Labour’s manifesto reveals a proposal to replace council tax with a new Land Value Tax

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3676113/labour-planning-new-garden-tax-which-would-see-council-tax-treble/

Bit of a disconnect. Council tax is a land value tax. All this is is a big rise in Council Tax.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Now that is gold dust for the Tories.
  • Options

I had better things to to this evening than watch the "debate", but I gather Corbyn called the Falklands a "Tory plot"? Surely not?

given our inability to plot a successful manifesto launch, I think engineering a war with Argentina is a bit far-fetched.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    TMA1 said:

midwinter said:

Yes. Telling that OGH does not come to the other (correct in my book) conclusion that Corbyn simply lied about his past and his intentions for the future.
    To be fair what else does anyone expect him to have said?
    The extreme left like Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott lie so well. They misrepresent the truth so comprehensively that it is breath-taking in its audacity! I have seen clips of them advocating a really extreme position and then currently saying they either never said that, it is not their current position or they claim it is made up. It is just unbelievable. The problem is the broadcasters seem to shy away from communicating this and in this age TV is the best media to communicate such duplicity to an audience that might change their view on voting. I tacitly mean that putting it in the daily mail or telegraph will not disseminate the message as effectively as would a piece on sky news or the BBC.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Ave_it said:

I think they will get Edinburgh West. I can't answer for the English and Welsh seats.
    Swinson should win too. They will win Bath.
  • Options
    Jason said:

Now that is gold dust for the Tories.
    It's the opposite of what a land value tax should do. It's going to hit generation rent instead of focussing on development sites.
  • Options
    Not sure this has been posted in a while.... Corbyn IRA ad now on 3.5 million views. :p
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    When can we next expect a poll? Not Survation...
  • Options

Bit of a disconnect. Council tax is a land value tax. All this is is a big rise in Council Tax.
    Surely not, they only a positive message.

That one must have slipped past me. Good for Labour for proposing a big rise, if that is indeed what is proposed. I feel like the wait to bring it up was so opponents could come up with a name that people would not like the sound of.
  • Options
    FF - they will probably get that and maybe Ross Cromarty & Skye - maybe Swinson land too

No seats in Eng or Wales

Carshalton, Norfolk N and Westmorland safe for Con - maybe Leeds NW and Sheffield Hallam too or Labour might win those

Southport Con gain

Ceredigion Con or PC
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845
    Tezza doing quite well explaining social care policy... Floundering badly on CFP...
  • Options

RobD said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

marke09 said:

now official

Stunning!

I expect the SNP to win about 40% in Scotland, which is 3.5% overall.
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    FPT

Part of me wonders whether JC actually wants Labour to be totally screwed in this election. Consider this.

The modern Labour party is a tension between the trendy, urbanites, educated youngsters who love JC and what he stands for re open borders, multiculturalism etc and the more traditional WWC voters in non-urban areas who are socially conservative. JC obviously gets his support from the first group and the opposition amongst his PLP mainly comes from those who represent the second.

Anecdotally, JC seems to be repelling many of the second group (see the Atul Hatwal article on Labour Uncut). But, for JC, whose aim is to ensure his brand of hard-Leftism takes ultimate control of the party, that might not be a bad thing. Because, if the non-urban WWC do turn decisively against Labour, it will take many of his Parliamentary opponents with him. What would then be left is a Labour party based in the cities which gets its support from the first group. Their MPs will represent their views and, if they don't, they will get deselected.

End result. JC and his friends end up controlling the Labour Party. Yes, Labour may have shrunk to <120 or possibly <100 but, to the hard Left, that will be a price worth paying to ensure their long-term control of the party. And it will represent a massive leap forward for the hard Left in terms of the ability to project their agenda than they have ever reached before. </p>

I always assumed that was the plan from the outset.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

FF - they will probably get that and maybe Ross Cromarty & Skye - maybe Swinson land too

No seats in Eng or Wales

Carshalton, Norfolk N and Westmorland safe for Con - maybe Leeds NW and Sheffield Hallam too or Labour might win those

Southport Con gain

Ceredigion Con or PC

My worst case scenario has them holding 1 seat each in England, Scotland and Wales, or 3 total, 2 in Scotland.

Best case around 13.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Tezza doing quite well explaining social care policy... Floundering badly on CFP...

Yes, we know. We've already watched it.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,758
    Sean_F said:

RobD said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

marke09 said:

now official

Stunning!

I expect the SNP to win about 40% in Scotland, which is 3.5% overall.
    How do opinion polls deal with Don't Knows - ie those that will definitely vote, but don't know yet who for, or won't say?
  • Options
    Garden tax - happy with 3% PA on buy to let - am I Labour now?! :lol:
  • Options
    Who is winning the twitter war ?
  • Options
    Jason said:

GIN1138 said:

Yes, we know. We've already watched it.
    GIN's just catching up.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    So Mike, you're SURE that this MIGHT become an issue. There's conviction for you
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Not at all, Mr Rabbit. Council Tax is levied on the value of the property. Site Value Tax is levied on the value of the site, as if there was no construction on it. The difference is that you can improve your property as much as you like, but the value of the site remains the same.

The later is a long-standing Liberal policy, and is very sensible. If Labour are picking that up now, it is to be welcomed. But I wouldn`t mind betting they do not understand it.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Who is winning the twitter war ?

Since when has that been a useful metric in anything?
This discussion has been closed.