Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB/Polling Matters podcast: Explaining the Labour ‘surge’

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Scott_P said:

Pulpstar said:

As I say, there is no need for the Tories to resume campaigning any time soon - "Maggie sends in our boys from the SAS"

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/867374321932677120
    The operation appears very well designed, with the army being used to relieve the more routine work of armed police (guarding government buildings, transport hubs, large events etc) to free the armed police up for more important work supporting the counter-terrorism effort. It seems an elegant solution to a temporary emergency, without requiring thousands of extra armed police to be trained and equipped for a rare event.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    marke09 said:

Guy on SKY said it wasnt unexpected as we are nearing the month of Ramadan and ISIS try and do a big event before the month begins

OK, can you not suicide bomb between dawn and dusk? That's good to know. Roll on Friday.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    suspicious package found in the Quadrnat shopping centre in Swansea - area evacuated
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @AidanKerrTweets: The army is now guarding 12 sites in Scotland following the Manchester bombing and the 'critical' terror threat stv.tv/news/politics/… pic.twitter.com/ARz7xCjjx6

@STVColin: Green co-convener @patrickharvie seeks reassurance anti nuclear protest will be allowed to continue at Faslane.

FFS
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    Sandpit said:

Sky reporting that SAS were involved in a raid at a residential address in Manchester City centre this lunchtime.

Ah...yes makes more sense than a green army op.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    rcs1000 said:

FPT:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

marke09 said:

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/seatdetails.py?seat=Ceredigion - i do not believe it - Tories to win Ceredigion?

Something's gone wrong with Baxter’s graphics, the LibDems hold the seat on the left, but his implied probabilities are wrong and he’s saying the Tories are favourites.

If the Tories scoop up the UKIP vote, they are not that far behind.
    Looking back at the history of the seat I wouldn't immediately dismiss the Tories there, though 48% is way way too high in my opinion.

Strikes me as the sort of place May could have alot of appeal relative to Farron.
    Of the nine current LD seats, it's probably about the third safest. Orkney & Shetland, of course, is the only genuinely safe LD seat.
    A safe seat with a majority of 817?! OK, the SNP shouldn't do as well this time but I'd still say that it hardly ranks as 'the only genuinely safe LD seat'.
    The LibDems polled 67.4% of the vote in (bizarrely) both the Orkney and Shetland Holyrood elections last year, getting around three times the number of votes of the SNP. The LDS will hold the seat with a big (percentage) majority later this year.
    Yes, I think that's probably right. All the same, and even given the small electorate, I refuse to count any seat with a three-figure majority as 'safe'!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    Ishmael_Z said:

marke09 said:

Guy on SKY said it wasnt unexpected as we are nearing the month of Ramadan and ISIS try and do a big event before the month begins

OK, can you not suicide bomb between dawn and dusk? That's good to know. Roll on Friday.
    You wouldn't want to murder children on an empty stomach.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314

TOPPING said:

TudorRose said:

I've just read (BBC website) that UKIP are planning to recommence campaigning tomorrow by launching their manifesto. Labour also now muttering about the need to get on with things.

I hope TMay comes out soon and sets a clear framework for when the campaign will get underway again; otherwise she's at risk of looking... well, not strong and stable.

It isn't for May to decide. If all of the other parties think we should get going again on Thursday, the Tories would have to fall in line.
    I think the footsoldiers are champing at the bit; but then most of them don't have a country in the middle of a crisis to run.
    I don't remember it being seen as a crisis when the IRA bombed a pub in Guildford in October 1974, killing four. The GE went ahead 5 days later. A month later, two more IRA bombs killed 21 people in B'ham.

We're really going to pieces if a nutter with a suicide bomb, plus his handler(s), places the country 'in crisis'. These incidents were more numerous in the 1970s than they are now.
    Perhaps so, but you would have to be pretty one-eyed to think that all is well in the world right now in the UK. Not to say that I disagree that campaigning should recommence, just that there are a few balls in the air right now for Tezza.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

SeanT said:

Blue_rog said:

rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

Bloke from quillam foundation giving Andy Burnham both barrels now on sky...He is talking a lot of sense.

Haras Rafiq. He's very good, we need to hear more voices from moderate Muslims like this.
    I agreed with pretty much everything he said. No sugar coating anything.
    The organisation has previous with Andy Burnham:
    https://www.quilliaminternational.com/responding-to-andy-burnham-why-the-prevent-strategy-does-not-legitimise-islamophobia-haydar-zaki/

A very powerful piece and something I agree with wholeheartedly

https://www.quilliaminternational.com/cheif-executive-haras-rafiq-platitudes-are-no-longer-enough-we-muslims-must-hold-our-community-religious-leaders-and-mosques-to-account/
    I'm not sure "Scandinavian deradicalisation programmes" are really that admirable and exemplary, given the atmosphere in, say, Sweden.
    Aren't most ofthe problems from the migrants rather than second gen?
    No. The Manchester bomber was himself 2nd gen, wasn't he? And the problems with growing radicalisation among some current muslim youth exist among 3rd and 4th generation immigrant families (though not entirely 3rd/4th gen: spousal imports remain a barrier to integration).
  • Options
    PeterMannionPeterMannion Posts: 712
    Sandpit said:

Sky reporting that SAS were involved in a raid at a residential address in Manchester City centre this lunchtime.

If it gets Sutton and Shearer off MotD, I'm all for it...
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

John Mann @JohnMannMP
    You don't get it. These are security decisions based on intelligence. This was their call not Theresa May's. She ought to point this out.

Owen Jones @OwenJones84
    I really don't feel soldiers toting guns on the streets of Britain during an election campaign is reassuring. How do others feel?

Not sure about that from John Mann, although I'm not in a position to know.

Putting soldiers on the streets was surely Theresa May's call?

It's pretty fundamental to being a democracy - all decisions are ultimately made by elected people. It's not some technical process that TM purely observes, like X means threat is critical, critical threat means troops on the streets, or whatever.

No, I think John Mann is wrong.

Unelected Intel people may advise, but the PM decides.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    marke09 said:

suspicious package found in the Quadrnat shopping centre in Swansea - area evacuated

If that goes off it could cause about £2.50 worth of damage.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,995
    Pulpstar said:

Can't decide my train tickets for the PB meetup. How long does it take to get from Kings Cross to the pub ?

Walking 2 miles, 40 minutes.
    By tube, Piccadilly to Holborn, Central to St Pauls , 18 minutes.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    edited May 2017
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Pulpstar said:

As I say, there is no need for the Tories to resume campaigning any time soon - "Maggie sends in our boys from the SAS"

The operation appears very well designed, with the army being used to relieve the more routine work of armed police (guarding government buildings, transport hubs, large events etc) to free the armed police up for more important work supporting the counter-terrorism effort. It seems an elegant solution to a temporary emergency, without requiring thousands of extra armed police to be trained and equipped for a rare event.
    I think one of the papers, might have been the Daily Mail? Said this Operation has been in the planning should it ever be needed for the last two years.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    Pong said:

isam said:

Pong said:

fpt;

Pong said:

Someone wants to bet £14981 @ 20/1 on the cons winning 450-499 seats.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.131100521

Good luck getting that laid.

What is fv pong?
    fv as in favourite?

Cons 350-399 @ 2.08/2.1
    Sorry I meant fair value for 450-499 seats
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Sandpit said:

If it gets Sutton and Shearer off MotD, I'm all for it...
    The 1990s called, they want their reference back.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

John Mann @JohnMannMP
    You don't get it. These are security decisions based on intelligence. This was their call not Theresa May's. She ought to point this out.

Owen Jones @OwenJones84
    I really don't feel soldiers toting guns on the streets of Britain during an election campaign is reassuring. How do others feel?

I agree with John Mann...there I said it...now I must go and take a shower...
  • Options
    Sky reporting that the Associated Press have found the father of the bomber, in Tripoli.
    Mcr police presser about to start.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Pulpstar said:

I think one of the papers, might have been the Daily Mail? Said this Operation has been in the planning should it ever be needed for the last two years.
    yes SKY said it has beeninplace since 2015
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

Nick Cohen @NickCohen4
    As someone once said, it may even have been me: "The Right looks for converts. The Left looks for traitors."

Not if the last couple of months of SeanT posts are anything to go by.

You should have met me in the early days of PB, when I was REALLY ranty. I did better insults, then, too. Now I'm too rich, relaxed and mellow to get properly het up.

I was reading (but not posting on) PB back in the day - some of those rants were excellent.

Have you ever considered writing a "Book of Rants" - might be fun project.

Or has the Daily Mail got that market sewn up?

• Options
    BBC say incident at Radio 5 Live studios was a false fire alarm and not security related
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Sandpit said:

Sky reporting that the Associated Press have found the father of the bomber, in Tripoli.

Blimey. There's an expectation on here that this will play to the government's advantage. I wouldn't be so sure.
  • Options
    off duty police officer believed to be on eof the victims
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Blimey. There's an expectation on here that this will play to the government's advantage. I wouldn't be so sure.
    but he says the son who killed himslef is innocent and that it was another son who has been arrested
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Explaining the surge? Easy. There's been a surge.
    Scott_P said:

Blue_rog said:

I quite like that idea, especially if we had a speciality prison built on some uninhabited Scottish island - Guinard perhaps.

@TRobinsonNewEra: We need to build our own Guantanamo in the Falkland Islands and send every single UK Jihad supporter there till this struggle is WON

@falklands_utd: Thanks, but no thanks. twitter.com/trobinsonnewer…
    I suppose Ascension Island is out of the question too. Hmm. No one lives on the South Sandwich Isles, do they?
  • Options

Nick Cohen @NickCohen4
    As someone once said, it may even have been me: "The Right looks for converts. The Left looks for traitors."

Willard Foxton Todd @WillardFoxton

Floating voters largely, libdems and labour voters. Do you think the shouty purity of the social media left actually puts people off?

It certainly does me, and of course the 'f off and join the Tories' is a gag with some truth to it, although let's be honest, the right does look for traitors sometimes, as all those who went nuts over people like Clarke, Cameron and even, a week ago, May for not being 'true' enough indicate.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    marke09 said:

jonny83 said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Pulpstar said:

yes SKY said it has beeninplace since 2015
    It was leaked in 2015. So at least then.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Uh, it was reported yesterday that the bomber's family had largely returned to Libya. Not sure why this should be bad, or indeed good, for HMG.

Some of the comments by pb-ers imply that they don't ever read websites or newspapers. Much of the stuff being breathlessly related on here, as a revelation, has been public knowledge for hours or even days.
    The more we learn about this the more it looks like the warning signs were there (unlike the bloke on Westminster Bridge). Obviously resources are limited, but it makes you wonder how bad the people they are watching are.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    SeanT said:

Jeezo. The State of the British Left, today. Heckling police and soldiers.

twitter.com/theousherwood/status/867377808342908930

Cancer in the Labour Party...
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    SeanT said:

OK in the absence of anything interesting, politically, let's speculate.

Will Manchester and the new terror threat have changed the polls?

My first instinct is Yes, surely, people will recoil from Jezbollah and cling to nurse May. In which case I would expect all the polls next week to be showing the Tories with leads of 15 points or more.

And yet, I haver, because I thought the same when Jo Cox was killed. I thought it would shift the vote to a narrow Remain win. It didn't. I was wrong

HOWEVER Manchester is on a different scale to Jo Cox. This is kids and families being massacred, and it comes after many similar atrocities across Europe. And it's an ongoing threat, not just a one off madman.

So I am gonna trust my instincts and say the polls next week will show 15 point Tory leads, or more.

What do PB-ers reckon?

My parents know Corbyn is crap. But they don't know he is a terrorist sympathysier so might not make the connection. I don't think there will be BIG movements to the tories, yet. But sizeable leads of 12%-15% are likely. Which is disappointing because Labour need to be eviscerated for putting up such a shadow cabinet before us. They must be utterly destroyed, Abbot said "every deafeat for the British state is a victory for us", pretty sure ISIS agree with every word of that. Problem is many people who don't pay attention to politics like we do will not know that quote, media *must* expose these sentiments for the treachery they are.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    SeanT said:

https://twitter.com/theousherwood/status/867377808342908930

Soldiers are not known for their people skills. I wonder if this is trying to provoke a reaction. If JC was anysort of decent person he would issue a stern warning notto provoke anyone at this difficult time.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

Bloke from quillam foundation giving Andy Burnham both barrels now on sky...He is talking a lot of sense.

Haras Rafiq. He's very good, we need to hear more voices from moderate Muslims like this.
    https://www.quilliaminternational.com/responding-to-andy-burnham-why-the-prevent-strategy-does-not-legitimise-islamophobia-haydar-zaki/

Burnham has uttered the nothing to do with Islam mantra today. The guy rightly called.him out on this and how it is totally counter productive.

As well as being dishonest, Interestingly a recent freakonomics podcast also provided evidence from the US that this kind of state actually doesn't even achieve the desired aim of calming matters, it was shown to stoke more anger.
    One of my least favourite cliches, one that presumes we are all a mob waiting to happen, where if you acknowledge part of a group has a problem, we will descent en masse on the whole group, when I'd like to think our society is robust enough to be more than that, and denying any connection just creates anger. 'No connection to true x' would be better at least, if he said that.

It's one reason I like the BBC usually go with 'so called Islamic state' - it acknowledges what they claim and what unfortunately too many people in the world believe about their claims, but indicates skepticism of that, and the misuse of the word islamic should, one hopes, anger those who disagree with IS.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Scott_P said:

JWisemann said:

A country in crisis? Jesus christ people need to get a grip. It's a horrible atrocity but it's hardly the Blitz, is it?

@Jeremy_JCook: We're British. I don't get scared until the threat level hits "Replacement Bus Service".
    A hardy perennial

http://www.snopes.com/politics/satire/terrorismalert.asp
    That's funny!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    SeanT said:

Most of the Left aren't like that (80% of Labour MPs have no confidence in Corbyn). It's just that Corbyn's leadership has brought all the nutters crawling out of the woodwork.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    Sorry to lower the tone of the thread. But...

Opinion polls... must have opinion polls...
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Careful, Tlg, if that gets quoted out of context you could be subject to ridicule and abuse across the social media!

Anyway if there are such expectations here they have not been reflected in the betting markets, which have been virtually becalmed since the story broke.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Blue_rog said:

I quite like that idea, especially if we had a speciality prison built on some uninhabited Scottish island - Guinard perhaps.

@TRobinsonNewEra: We need to build our own Guantanamo in the Falkland Islands and send every single UK Jihad supporter there till this struggle is WON

I suppose Ascension Island is out of the question too. Hmm. No one lives on the South Sandwich Isles, do they?
    Buckle Island would be my choice to keep them.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,711
    kle4 said:

Nick Cohen @NickCohen4

Willard Foxton Todd @WillardFoxton

Floating voters largely, libdems and labour voters. Do you think the shouty purity of the social media left actually puts people off?

'f off and join the Tories' is a gag with some truth to it,.
    The voters may take them at their word.....
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Most of the Left aren't like that (80% of Labour MPs have no confidence in Corbyn). It's just that Corbyn's leadership has brought all the nutters crawling out of the woodwork.
    It should be fair enough that what the 80% are tacitly supporting with their votes is made clear. Just so they can understand the lunatic left is their problem to solve.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    She claims to be shouting at the government, not the soldiers. She's "the voice of the people", and she's speaking for the soldiers not against them. And she's called Tina.

https://twitter.com/theousherwood/status/867379125195034626
  • Options

John Mann @JohnMannMP

Owen Jones @OwenJones84

Owen Jones is a fucking twat. He knows it will have a subliminal effect. People going to the polling booths will rightly think "hmm do I really want to risk Jeremy Corbyn at *this* time really? Nah I can't risk it". And that is his own fault for voting for a terrorist sympathyiser twice.
  • Options
    So the Great Manchester Gamesd due weekend get the go ahead - so cannot see any reason to delay resumption of campaigning
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Can't decide my train tickets for the PB meetup. How long does it take to get from Kings Cross to the pub ?

Cross the road to St Pancras and get Thameslink to City Thameslink station, can't be more than 5 minutes from there.
  • Options
    Unfortunately won't be able to listen to the podcast until tomorrow, but the surge has been so surprising (to me) that I shall definitely do so.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Careful, Tlg, if that gets quoted out of context you could be subject to ridicule and abuse across the social media!

Anyway if there are such expectations here they have not been reflected in the betting markets, which have been virtually becalmed since the story broke.
    I suspect it probably won't make much difference either way. But it might give Nuttall a bit of a boost. He has very little to lose and won't have any qualms about going on the attack over this no matter how unfair that may be.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

twitter.com/theousherwood/status/867377808342908930

Cancer in the Labour Party...
    Watch the video, that mad Corbynite shouty woman with the very helpful Jeremy Corbyn Mug Shot Shoulderbag is surrounded by journalists filming and recording.

If any of those videos go viral, that's probably another 500,000 voters for TMay
    The Guardian, Friday 9th June, 2017:

'I’ll always be a Corbynista. Jeremy was the best prime minister we never had'

by Corbynite Nelly

"The rightwing smear against Jeremy Corbyn angered me. But his bravery and integrity in the face of it was an inspiration

"Watching Jeremy’s heartbreaking speech on Friday, I couldn’t quite believe it when he mentioned the Corbynistas. It was bittersweet I suppose: that Jeremy felt the Corbynistas warranted a thank you but in the context of a resignation and not, as it should have been, a victory speech. It was an honour to know that Jeremy was thankful for the movement, and although my tears had already started flowing by then, the way that he almost smiled when he mentioned it really set me off. I have to confess that the rest of the speech was a complete blur to me.

"I know to many people it may seem silly to have got emotional over Jeremy’s resignation, but it wasn’t anything like the reaction to David Cameron leaving Downing Street, as some have carelessly compared it. We’d had the chance to have this amazing person as prime minister: a chance for equality, a chance for change, a chance for someone who truly cared about the people to lead them. To watch our country waste that chance and to see someone who had worked so unbelievably hard and was so deserving lose was utterly devastating. I don’t know when I’m going to get over that feeling of loss, that sick, hollow feeling in my stomach, when I think about what could have been. Jeremy Corbyn was the best prime minister we never had!"
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2017
    SeanT said:

My first instinct is Yes, surely, people will recoil from Jezbollah and cling to nurse May. In which case I would expect all the polls next week to be showing the Tories with leads of 15 points or more.

And yet, I haver, because I thought the same when Jo Cox was killed. I thought it would shift the vote to a narrow Remain win. It didn't. I was wrong...

Not comparable. The Jo Cox murder was horrendous, but completely irrelevant to the issues at stake in the referendum; British voters take a mature view of these things, and would have realised that it was irrelevant.

In contrast, this latest atrocity is very relevant to the issues at stake in the General Election. In fact, it draws attention to the central issue: do voters want to entrust government of the UK to Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott?

So, yes, I think it will have cancelled out the 'dementia tax' effect. I don't think we'll go back to the humongous leads of a few weeks ago, because of the squeeze on the LibDems and Greens, but 15 points or more sounds about right.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Uh, it was reported yesterday that the bomber's family had largely returned to Libya. Not sure why this should be bad, or indeed good, for HMG.

Some of the comments by pb-ers imply that they don't ever read websites or newspapers. Much of the stuff being breathlessly related on here, as a revelation, has been public knowledge for hours or even days.
    The more we learn about this the more it looks like the warning signs were there (unlike the bloke on Westminster Bridge). Obviously resources are limited, but it makes you wonder how bad the people they are watching are.
    Hmm I think security is a tremendously hard job. I think the poor sods have a VERY tough job to do, and not all of it can become apparent. Hindsight is a wonderful thing here.
    Hopefully there are some decent backchannels into the mosques, I can't see why there wouldn't be - 99.99% of muslims just want a peaceful life.

It's irreligious, and definitely different but the "cosplay/anime" community was generally delighted when Ryan Gentle got done for sexual assault/fraud https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/oct/23/british-serial-entrepreneur-missing-bitcoin-apparently-stolen
  • Options
    SeanT said:

And yet, I haver, because I thought the same when Jo Cox was killed. I thought it would shift the vote to a narrow Remain win. It didn't. I was wrong

HOWEVER Manchester is on a different scale to Jo Cox. This is kids and families being massacred, and it comes after many similar atrocities across Europe. And it's an ongoing threat, not just a one off madman.

So I am gonna trust my instincts and say the polls next week will show 15 point Tory leads, or more.

What do PB-ers reckon?

My view is that it reinforces all of Theresa May's positives, and all the negatives of Jeremy Corbyn and his associates. And, bringing peoples' minds back to defence and security helps the Conservatives. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the polls move back to 20% leads for the Conservatives briefly, before shifting back to 10-15% as polling day approaches.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    Ignore the loud mouth and focus on this instead

https://twitter.com/theousherwood/status/867372898146766848
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    O/T England seem to be doing well at Headingly
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320
    kle4 said:

rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

Burnham has uttered the nothing to do with Islam mantra today. The guy rightly called.him out on this and how it is totally counter productive.

As well as being dishonest, Interestingly a recent freakonomics podcast also provided evidence from the US that this kind of state actually doesn't even achieve the desired aim of calming matters, it was shown to stoke more anger.
    One of my least favourite cliches, one that presumes we are all a mob waiting to happen, where if you acknowledge part of a group has a problem, we will descent en masse on the whole group, when I'd like to think our society is robust enough to be more than that, and denying any connection just creates anger. 'No connection to true x' would be better at least, if he said that.

It's one reason I like the BBC usually go with 'so called Islamic state' - it acknowledges what they claim and what unfortunately too many people in the world believe about their claims, but indicates skepticism of that, and the misuse of the word islamic should, one hopes, anger those who disagree with IS.
    Yes, of course.

It is as absurd to think of Islam as a single strand of thought as it would be to think of Judeo-Christianity that way.
  • Options
    nunu said:

John Mann @JohnMannMP

Owen Jones @OwenJones84

Owen Jones is a fucking twat. He knows it will have a subliminal effect. People going to the polling booths will rightly think "hmm do I really want to risk Jeremy Corbyn at *this* time really? Nah I can't risk it". And that is his own fault for voting for a terrorist sympathyiser twice.
    If many people don't find him objectionable or dangerous the comparison may not lead to as big an impact as you think.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

JWisemann said:

A country in crisis? Jesus christ people need to get a grip. It's a horrible atrocity but it's hardly the Blitz, is it?

@Jeremy_JCook: We're British. I don't get scared until the threat level hits "Replacement Bus Service".
    A hardy perennial

http://www.snopes.com/politics/satire/terrorismalert.asp
    That's funny!
    Current humour

https://www.indy100.com/article/terror-threat-level-britain-manchester-arena-attack-twitter-viral-7753481?amp
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nunu said:

John Mann @JohnMannMP

Owen Jones @OwenJones84

If many people don't find him objectionable or dangerous the comparison may not lead to as big an impact as you think.
    he is seen as incompetent, that is a killer.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes, and it's actually a very good idea. Most coppers don't want to be armed and it's not too difficult to train up the red berets in the more routine aspects of armed police work, for the one week in a decade when something comes up.

There's whole departments at the Cabinet Office and Home Office who do disaster planning, good to see that they do actually have these things ready to go when required.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2017
    isam said:

Pong said:

isam said:

Pong said:

fpt;

Pong said:

Someone wants to bet £14981 @ 20/1 on the cons winning 450-499 seats.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.131100521

Good luck getting that laid.

What is fv pong?
    fv as in favourite?

Cons 350-399 @ 2.08/2.1
    Sorry I meant fair value for 450-499 seats
    Not sure, a fair bit shorter than 20/1.

I think the Con>Lab drift in the last couple of weeks will entirely reverse. Apologies if any posters/lurkers are personally affected, but, to be blunt - I fully expect Manchester to give TM a second polling honeymoon of similar or greater magnitude to her first post-election announcement bounce.

I recon C2DE's & 50+'s are pretty much universally behind TM in their VI's right now.

And they'll vote.

The only way May could f*ck this up is with a De Menezes.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    SeanT said:

What do PB-ers reckon?

I always think it's irrational that voters should rally round a govt that's apparently failed in its duty to protect them, but people are irrational. e.g. the idea that best solution to 9/11 was to give more power to GWBush...
  • Options
    nunu said:

kle4 said:

nunu said:

John Mann @JohnMannMP

Owen Jones @OwenJones84

Do people want him, Abbott, and McDonnell in charge of the security services? We know how the public will answer that question.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

SeanT said:

Soldiers are not known for their people skills. I wonder if this is trying to provoke a reaction. If JC was anysort of decent person he would issue a stern warning notto provoke anyone at this difficult time.
    To be fair to her, Shami had a good try last night:
    https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/867141070366179328
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited May 2017
    Dadge said:

I always think it's irrational that voters should rally round a govt that's apparently failed in its duty to protect them, but people are irrational. e.g. the idea that best solution to 9/11 was to give more power to GWBush...

Even it that was true, and I profoundly disagree, who the hell is going to think that Corbyn and co. are the answer?
  • Options

Ignore the loud mouth and focus on this instead

https://twitter.com/theousherwood/status/867372898146766848

That's the way to do it! :+1:
  • Options
    Just this moment had a Welsh Labour flyer put through letter box
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    I don't reckon that this will shift the polls much, those that cared about Jez's history will still be voting May, those that believe that the talking approach is the right way to go, will believe that May is at fault. Perhaps there'll be a slightly greater swing in the WWC areas though.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,644
    SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

Nick Cohen @NickCohen4

You should have met me in the early days of PB, when I was REALLY ranty. I did better insults, then, too. Now I'm too rich, relaxed and mellow to get properly het up.

I was a very regular poster in the early days and you and I had an argument about the existence of God. It went on for quite a few posts and into the realms of LSD trips. I got away with not a single insult thrown at me and thought that a proper result, although I might regret bringing that up now.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

SeanT said:

What do PB-ers reckon?

If the goalie lets one goal in you don't replace him with someone who would clearly have let in 6 or 7, however.

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    SeanT said:

What do PB-ers reckon?

Completely different set of cirucmstances, and not really comparable in any way apart from the obvious loss of life.

The EU referendum was a once in a lifetime opportunity for millions of voters to vote on a non-party basis, including many who had never previously voted. The murder of an arch Remainer was never going to alter that fact, as horrendous as that event clearly was.

I've said this before, we don't give the public enough credit for their ability to see through the bs.

Regarding the polling, yes, I agree, there will be a significant shift back to the Tories. If there isn't, either the British electorate has completely changed its character in the space of two years, or the polls are wide of the mark.
  • Options
    stuartrcstuartrc Posts: 12
    SeanT said:

What do PB-ers reckon?

Well, I tripled my bet on Labour registering less that 100 seats on betfair...
  • Options
    Thought experiment. If Jeremy Corbyn were PM and a terrorist tried to murder him, would he side with the terrorist?
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    Chameleon said:

I don't reckon that this will shift the polls much, those that cared about Jez's history will still be voting May, those that believe that the talking approach is the right way to go, will believe that May is at fault. Perhaps there'll be a slightly greater swing in the WWC areas though.

It might push turnout up; people might decide that it really does matter who's running the country after all.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Blue_rog said:

SeanT said:

She was unusually nervous, hesitant and even emotional during that interview. I kept wondering if she was gonna burst into tears. This could, of course, be a reaction to the horror of Manchester, but I wonder if she has been rattled and wounded by all the criticism of her position with Corbyn, her hypocrisy about wealth, and so on.

After all, she's used to being an Oymplic-flag carrying heroine, not a much-loathed turncoat. It must have come as a horrible shock.
    She also mentioned a couple of times that she was not a Privy Councillor.....
  • Options
    kjh said:

SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

Nick Cohen @NickCohen4

I was a very regular poster in the early days and you and I had an argument about the existence of God. It went on for quite a few posts and into the realms of LSD trips. I got away with not a single insult thrown at me and thought that a proper result, although I might regret bringing that up now.
    The neurophysiological model of religiosity - mind-bending drugs led to humanity's first experiences of the supernatural, leading to eg. Lascaux cave paintings during the Ice Age.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Blue_rog said:

SeanT said:

She was unusually nervous, hesitant and even emotional during that interview. I kept wondering if she was gonna burst into tears. This could, of course, be a reaction to the horror of Manchester, but I wonder if she has been rattled and wounded by all the criticism of her position with Corbyn, her hypocrisy about wealth, and so on.

After all, she's used to being an Oymplic-flag carrying heroine, not a much-loathed turncoat. It must have come as a horrible shock.
    Didn't she also helpfully whitewash Labour anti-Semitism?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Blue_rog said:

Rockall. You could get a cottage industry going, taking tourists out in a boat to point and laugh.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435

Pulpstar said:

Cross the road to St Pancras and get Thameslink to City Thameslink station, can't be more than 5 minutes from there.
    You want the North exit of City Thameslink, and walk down Newgate Street to St Martin's Le Grande and turn left. So the rear of the Thameslink train from St Pancras.
  • Options
    Jason said:

SeanT said:

What do PB-ers reckon?

Completely different set of cirucmstances, and not really comparable in any way apart from the obvious loss of life.

The EU referendum was a once in a lifetime opportunity for millions of voters to vote on a non-party basis, including many who had never previously voted. The murder of an arch Remainer was never going to alter that fact, as horrendous as that event clearly was.

I've said this before, we don't give the public enough credit for their ability to see through the bs.

Regarding the polling, yes, I agree, there will be a significant shift back to the Tories. If there isn't, either the British electorate has completely changed its character in the space of two years, or the polls are wide of the mark.
    If the anti-EU campaign had been inciting violence against pro-EU supporters, or equivocating about it, I'm sure that it would have had an impact on the voting. But, no one could make such an accusation plausibly.

• Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    Anorak said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Blue_rog said:

Rockall. You could get a cottage industry going, taking tourists out in a boat to point and laugh.
    If it ain't broke, why fix it? Just send them to Aus.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    Afternoon all :)

There's a certain amount of novelty about all this - I've heard of Council offices where staff passes are being checked for the first time (and that's caused problems for the 20% or so of staff who don't have their pass with them).

As the ever sanguine Mrs Stodge opined however "how long before all this gets too expensive or boring and we go back to "normal" ?", There's the rub as Shakespeare said - Severe is the new normal and presumably Critical will be the new normal in time. As in the 1980s when many listened out for the air attack warning siren knowing they had minutes to live, we now breathlessly await the next attack....
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

nunu said:

kle4 said:

nunu said:

John Mann @JohnMannMP

Owen Jones @OwenJones84

Do people want him, Abbott, and McDonnell in charge of the security services? We know how the public will answer that question.
    Depends how much difference people will think it will make. By and large our armed forces, intelligence services, and police do a good job, and they do that day to day with little govt interference. Corbyn hasn't made any announcements that would damage our capabilities; in fact the manifesto proposes to undo some of the govt's police cuts.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Errr.... edits not working
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

What do PB-ers reckon?

My view is that it reinforces all of Theresa May's positives, and all the negatives of Jeremy Corbyn and his associates. And, bringing peoples' minds back to defence and security helps the Conservatives. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the polls move back to 20% leads for the Conservatives briefly, before shifting back to 10-15% as polling day approaches.
    I don't expect a huge shift in the polls, but the fact that the uppermost thought of many voters at the ballot box will be "Who will keep me and my family safe from attack?" instead of "Who won't take my house if I develop dementia?" is worth a colossal number of votes on the day.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. 09, I've just had something (envelope, addressed to me) from Dawson, Lab candidate here.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Dadge said:

SeanT said:

What do PB-ers reckon?

Yes the rational approach is definitely "Theresa May and Government cannot protect my family, I must rationally support the other lot". Closely followed by "Wait a minute that's Jeremy ' Stop the war no justified military action since ww2' Corbyn, Diane 'can't add up' Abbott and John 'Friend of republicanism' Mcdonnell. I would be insane to trust my family to them"
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Blue_rog said:

SeanT said:

Having spent her whole career as someone who was generally popular, I think it came as a massive shock to her that she would be judged differently as a politician than as a lawyer. I'd have thought she was more intelligent than that, she has seen how politicians get treated but somehow thought she'd not be criticised in the same way - even when she started with the whitewash antisemitism report.

Watching the whole interview, I think it's slowly dawning on her that she's in well over her head now, and will fall with Corbyn on 9th June.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Christopher Hope @christopherhope
    It looks likely #ge2017 campaign won't start til Monday... "Tom Watson announces his campaign is on hold" http://po.st/5d1wOJ via @po_st

Monday? way too long, especially as it's a bank holiday/half-term.

Edit: Or not?

Kevin Schofield‏ @PolhomeEditor
    BREAKING Jeremy Corbyn tells staff at Labour HQ that local campaigning will resume tomorrow, with the national campaign re-starting Friday.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    SeanT said:
    The Paris/Brussels bombings were linked into Birmingham.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    SeanT said:

Anorak said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Blue_rog said:

Nah. We should send them to somewhere REALLY horrible, bleak and hostile. The obvious place is Luton.

Half of them are there already, so we'd save money.
    What has Sean Fear ever done to you ?!?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

Thought experiment. If Jeremy Corbyn were PM and a terrorist tried to murder him, would he side with the terrorist?

Lol, funny. I reckon he'd somehow manage to scribble down a hand written note of apology to the terrorist's family for his impending death at the behest of armed police officers.

Saying that, would he even insist or allow to be guarded in that fashion? Maybe he'd get the IRA as his personal detail.

Ppppffff, let's not dwell on even the remotest possibility that he could be our PM.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

Depends how much difference people will think it will make. By and large our armed forces, intelligence services, and police do a good job

Doesn't Abbott want to dismantle the first?

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

The cynic might say that both Labour and the Conservatives benefit from pausing the campaign.

The Tories because their job is being done for them (and the PM has more important things to do right now).

And Labour because if Corbyn opens his mouth, he's only going to make it worse.

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,644

kjh said:

SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

Nick Cohen @NickCohen4

The neurophysiological model of religiosity - mind-bending drugs led to humanity's first experiences of the supernatural, leading to eg. Lascaux cave paintings during the Ice Age.
    And it clearly wasn't the last.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    SeanT said:

My mother voted tory for first time,she hates the traitor(That what's she calls him)
  • Options
    Pong said:

John Mann @JohnMannMP

Owen Jones @OwenJones84

Not sure about that from John Mann, although I'm not in a position to know.

Putting soldiers on the streets was surely Theresa May's call?

It's pretty fundamental to being a democracy - all decisions are ultimately made by elected people. It's not some technical process that TM purely observes, like X means threat is critical, critical threat means troops on the streets, or whatever.

No, I think John Mann is wrong.

Unelected Intel people may advise, but the PM decides.
    Yes and no. If I understand correctly, raising the threat level automatically triggers this response. Now, that plan will have had to have been signed off by government ministers and given the importance of it, I'd expect the PM to have been one of them. But I'd be surprised if the decision to deploy troops now was the PMs. She could, presumably, request amendments to it (indeed, I'd have thought that'd be one thing discussed at COBRA) but I'd have thought that the basic deployment would need to go ahead according to the plan - otherwise there'd be all sorts of discrepancies, inconsistencies and overlaps.
  • Options
    Latest Labour campaign slogan: "If you decide to vote for May instead now, the terrorists have won."
  • Options
    Dadge said:

Latest Labour campaign slogan: "If you decide to vote for May instead now, the terrorists have won."

You're making that up aren't you ?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    edited May 2017
    Dadge said:

SeanT said:

What do PB-ers reckon?

An alleged effect that wasn't particularly conspicuous for Hollande.

If there's an election in the offing, and an alternative, voters tend to assess whether or not that alternative is viable. In our present situation, not.

(edit) What people rally round, in a democracy, is the idea that their government rightly has a monopoly on the legitimate use of violence. Whether or not the government uses that wisely tends to be a matter for later judgment.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Pulpstar said:

Dadge said:

You're making that up aren't you ?
    I had to read it a couple of times. The fact we're even asking the question says a lot about today's Labour Party.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited May 2017

Christopher Hope @christopherhope
    It looks likely #ge2017 campaign won't start til Monday... "Tom Watson announces his campaign is on hold" http://po.st/5d1wOJ via @po_st

Monday? way too long, especially as it's a bank holiday/half-term.

Edit: Or not?

Kevin Schofield‏ @PolhomeEditor
    BREAKING Jeremy Corbyn tells staff at Labour HQ that local campaigning will resume tomorrow, with the national campaign re-starting Friday.

Top Labour campaigners are desperate to keep the focus on local rather than national issues. Now they have a black swan to justify it. Fortunately, it looks like Corbyn is ignoring their advice.

Game on from tomorrow. Less feeling, more action.
  • Options
    @tykejohno Who did she vote @ GE 2015 ?
This discussion has been closed.