Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A Labour view of the party’s looming electoral disaster

Comments

• Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Election signage update - I was in Swansea yesterday all Labour apart from Plaid local office, and a Welsh liberal democrats sign which if I hadn't looked closely I may have mistaken for a for sale board. That was In then Morriston and Brynhyfrd areas. Later in the day had to go into Caerphilly and only signage there was plaid.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,918
    matt said:

rkrkrk said:

ydoethur said:

rkrkrk said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

It is entirely legitimate to ask of a candidate for PM whether his previously expressed views and actions and failures to act - especially for someone whose USP is meant to be his consistently held principles - show him to have the right character and judgment for PM, especially with regard to security issues.

One of the interesting things about this campaign is that Corbyn has been industriously ditching some of his principles. He has abandoned opposition to Trident, rowed back on his oft-repeated pacifism, and distanced himself from people he used to call friends. He has also consistently flip-flopped on Europe.

Anyone would think he was a normal politician or something - one who really does want to win. The Marx he currently most resembles is Groucho.
    The trident one is a shocking u turn and I suspect if closely questioned Corbyn will really struggle to say he wants to keep it/believes in it.

Your other points... Not sure if he has ever said he is a pacifist? Do you have a link?
    On Europe - definitely been a shift but he has moved from opposed to lukewarm support.
    Sort of the opposite of TM who moved from lukewarm support to opposed.
    There is this rather strange video from 2 years ago where he says it's 'hard to say' if he's a 'total pacifist'. Although that's not clear cut it's very different from the message he's been giving off recently.

http://news.sky.com/video/are-you-a-pacifist-labour-leader-speaks-to-sky-10345100
    So in terms of repeatedly saying he is a pacifist - you've got nothing?

IMO it's clear that Corbyn is pretty anti war and sets a much higher threshold for using military force than most other politicians. Now he is leader and subject to a lot more scrutiny he is belatedly realising it's his responsibility to try and shape how the media sees him rather than just answer questions as he would in a pub with old friends.

That interview is a great example of some philosophical musing that is hard for papers to summarise and report. But he has since been very clear that he thinks war can be justifiable.
    Perhaps, but other than in the intellectual abstract, are there examples, in his lifetime, of justifiable war which he has supported?
    He is on record saying there hasn't been one since 1945. But that he did support certain interventions under the UN in that time period.

Personally I would disagree but I think that is certainly a reasonable position.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    edited May 2017

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

There's not much more to say about this piece after @ydoethur's comprehensive demolition downthread but I will say this. May is not going to win a landslide. She has been shown in this campaign to have serious limitations as a politician, as a leader and as a PM. We have yet another leader who doesn't do the vision thing and who seems to have entered politics in the belief that she is a better manager than the other lot (which, of course, she is).

Her extremely well judged remarks yesterday don't change that. She has been given an opportunity to refocus her campaign, to get back to the core message that she is the only option for serious government of this country despite her limitations. I think that will save a campaign that was heading off the rails at an alarming rate but people won't forget the ineptitude she has shown. And nor should they.

As for Labour their self indulgence in twice choosing a leader who is not fit to lead the country has come home to roost in the worst way imaginable. But May has reminded their supporters that they are not alone in making mistakes. With a competent and credible leader they would have been very much in contention at this election and they will do better than they deserve. What they do after that will determine whether we have a vacancy for the role of alternative government.

I'm still inclined to think she will win by a landslide.
    In a choice between not very good and utterly hopeless, not very good wins by a landslide.
    People do appear to be confusing their own views with those of the voters:

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/04/24/theresa-may-better-prime-minister-david-cameron/
    It seems that that her closest triends haven't yet accepted that the manifesto screeching u turn has seriously damaged her image of having fixity of purpose.
    You forecast a collapse in her rating?
  • Options

Anyway, a break in campaigning means it's a lads nature trek on Dartmoor - and a pub lunch. Play nice, everybody.

My favorite form of lunch.
    My pub lunch will be in sunny Cheshunt though.

At Tesco's head office?
    They've pulled out of there now.
    I am about 300 yards down the road from it though.
    The Maltsters will be my venue of choice.

• Options
    timmo said:

timmo said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

There's not much more to say about this piece after @ydoethur's comprehensive demolition downthread but I will say this. May is not going to win a landslide. She has been shown in this campaign to have serious limitations as a politician, as a leader and as a PM. We have yet another leader who doesn't do the vision thing and who seems to have entered politics in the belief that she is a better manager than the other lot (which, of course, she is).

Her extremely well judged remarks yesterday don't change that. She has been given an opportunity to refocus her campaign, to get back to the core message that she is the only option for serious government of this country despite her limitations. I think that will save a campaign that was heading off the rails at an alarming rate but people won't forget the ineptitude she has shown. And nor should they.

As for Labour their self indulgence in twice choosing a leader who is not fit to lead the country has come home to roost in the worst way imaginable. But May has reminded their supporters that they are not alone in making mistakes. With a competent and credible leader they would have been very much in contention at this election and they will do better than they deserve. What they do after that will determine whether we have a vacancy for the role of alternative government.

So your expectation of the GE result is .....?
    Tory majority of 60-70, which will be comfortable enough. Labour around the 200 level so wounded, but far from terminally.
    My current guess is similar to yours:

Con ...... 371
    Lab ....... 196
    SNP ......... 49
    LibDem ... 12
    N.I. ......... 18
    Plaid ......... 3
    Greens ...... 1

Total ..... 650

Con Maj ... 92

We're clearly not going to have a prize money competition this time. Nevertheless it would be good if OGH were able to organise a contest to enable a consensus PB.com view of the outcome to be arrived at.
    Where are the 12 libdem seats going to come from?
    A net gain of 3 seats, comprising 5 gains less 2 losses. The 5 gains, without being too specific are London+Suburbs 2, S.W. England 1, Scotland 1, Other 1. Hardly over-ambitious surely?
    I just think tbat this wilk be (in England) a return to 2 party politics and the lds could get hurt even more than at present.
    I live in Thornbury and Yate which is the top SW target. There were 5000 UKIP votes last time and no UKIP standing this time so I cannot see it going yellow to blue.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,995
    edited May 2017
    I've given up trying to work out the size of the majority - Have been basing my betting around:

1) The Tories will definitely win.
    2) The Lib Dems are in for another hiding, particularly in the southwest of England.

Obviously those are both odds on, but I think they were less odds on than the odds suggested.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Matt Singh has an article in today's FT (haven't read it - paywall) suggesting the same it would appear - unless the 'Leadership rating model' is mistaken. I suspect a lot of Labour support is among historically non-voters while Conservative support is among pensioners. We know which are more likely to vote.
    May has an approval rating of 48-55%. Corbyn has one of 25-31%.
    Yes, but finally after all the other occasions when May's reputation would be trashed, this time it will be.....
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Despite the wobbles on social care (and previous u-turns) people can see that the Blue team can snap to it in times of crisis.

There is simply not the belief that the Reds can do likewise.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    edited May 2017
    So, in amongst the typically revolting attempts by the PB Tories to politicise an atrocity, is it a good time to reflect that the Tory government's support of violent islamic extremist jihadis in Libya and Syria probably hasn't helped keep us safe? I wonder who voted against the actions that turned Libya into a failed state and a hotbed and safe space for extremists to spread their poison abroad? Who recently went on bended knee to the biggest sponsors of global islamic fundamentalist violence? Interesting questions.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

In a choice between not very good and utterly hopeless, not very good wins by a landslide.
    People do appear to be confusing their own views with those of the voters:

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/04/24/theresa-may-better-prime-minister-david-cameron/
    It seems that that her closest triends haven't yet accepted that the manifesto screeching u turn has seriously damaged her image of having fixity of purpose.
    Nah that's just politics everyone gets that (bar PB obvs).

In the actual world this shit just got real.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

timmo said:

timmo said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Tory majority of 60-70, which will be comfortable enough. Labour around the 200 level so wounded, but far from terminally.

Con ...... 371
    Lab ....... 196
    SNP ......... 49
    LibDem ... 12
    N.I. ......... 18
    Plaid ......... 3
    Greens ...... 1

Total ..... 650

Con Maj ... 92

We're clearly not going to have a prize money competition this time. Nevertheless it would be good if OGH were able to organise a contest to enable a consensus PB.com view of the outcome to be arrived at.
    A net gain of 3 seats, comprising 5 gains less 2 losses. The 5 gains, without being too specific are London+Suburbs 2, S.W. England 1, Scotland 1, Other 1. Hardly over-ambitious surely?
    I just think tbat this wilk be (in England) a return to 2 party politics and the lds could get hurt even more than at present.
    I live in Thornbury and Yate which is the top SW target. There were 5000 UKIP votes last time and no UKIP standing this time so I cannot see it going yellow to blue.
    you mean blue to yellow?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Well, Stop the War, of which he was Chair for many years did once say in 2014 when Corbyn was still its chair that war should be fought against Israel. http://hurryupharry.org/2014/05/10/stop-the-war-coalition-supports-the-war-against-israels-legitimacy/

So clearly he's not a pacifist.

Well it's nice we agree!
    But I find it hard to believe that Corbyn has ever or would ever support a war against Israel.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Sean_F said:

Agreed.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,516
    JWisemann said:

So, in amongst the typically revolting attempts by the PB Tories to politicise an atrocity, is it a good time to reflect that the Tory government's support of violent islamic extremist jihadis in Libya and Syria probably hasn't helped keep us safe? I wonder who voted against the actions that turned Libya into a failed state and a hotbed and safe space for extremists to spread their poison abroad? Who recently went on bended knee to the biggest sponsors of global islamic fundamentalist violence? Interesting questions.

So in and amongst the attempts to "politicise an atrocity" you're going to, erm, politicise an atrocity...
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    JWisemann said:

They may be "questions" but they don't qualify as "interesting".
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,161
    JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Agreed.
    Yes I think it will be something like Tory 47% Labour 29% LD 9% SNP 4% UKIP 3% now
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

rkrkrk said:

ydoethur said:

rkrkrk said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

It is entirely legitimate to ask of a candidate for PM whether his previously expressed views and actions and failures to act - especially for someone whose USP is meant to be his consistently held principles - show him to have the right character and judgment for PM, especially with regard to security issues.

One of the interesting things about this campaign is that Corbyn has been industriously ditching some of his principles. He has abandoned opposition to Trident, rowed back on his oft-repeated pacifism, and distanced himself from people he used to call friends. He has also consistently flip-flopped on Europe.

Anyone would think he was a normal politician or something - one who really does want to win. The Marx he currently most resembles is Groucho.
    The trident one is a shocking u turn and I suspect if closely questioned Corbyn will really struggle to say he wants to keep it/believes in it.

Your other points... Not sure if he has ever said he is a pacifist? Do you have a link?
    On Europe - definitely been a shift but he has moved from opposed to lukewarm support.
    Sort of the opposite of TM who moved from lukewarm support to opposed.
    There is this rather strange video from 2 years ago where he says it's 'hard to say' if he's a 'total pacifist'. Although that's not clear cut it's very different from the message he's been giving off recently.

http://news.sky.com/video/are-you-a-pacifist-labour-leader-speaks-to-sky-10345100
    So in terms of repeatedly saying he is a pacifist - you've got nothing?

IMO it's clear that Corbyn is pretty anti war and sets a much higher threshold for using military force than most other politicians. Now he is leader and subject to a lot more scrutiny he is belatedly realising it's his responsibility to try and shape how the media sees him rather than just answer questions as he would in a pub with old friends.

That interview is a great example of some philosophical musing that is hard for papers to summarise and report. But he has since been very clear that he thinks war can be justifiable.
    Well, Stop the War, of which he was Chair for many years did once say in 2014 when Corbyn was still its chair that war should be fought against Israel. http://hurryupharry.org/2014/05/10/stop-the-war-coalition-supports-the-war-against-israels-legitimacy/

So clearly he's not a pacifist.
    A 'war' against Israel's legitimacy (via boycotts). Did you actually read even the title of that article from the execrable harry's place? Pathetic, even by your weaselly standards.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

I do wish posters who had these amazing flights of fancy occasionally posted a betting tip or two :)
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    JWisemann said:

Gaddafi sponsored Lockerbie and the IRA so hardly kept us safe either and Corbyn would be a recipe for lax border controls and an end to arstrikes on ISIS
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Pulpstar said:

I've given up trying to work out the size of the majority - Have been basing my betting around:

2) The Lib Dems are in for another hiding, particularly in the southwest of England.

Obviously those are both odds on, but I think they were less odds on than the odds suggested.

Although the LibDems have no seats in the south west to experience "another hiding".
  • Options

JWisemann said:

So in and amongst the attempts to "politicise an atrocity" you're going to, erm, politicise an atrocity...
    Well, the pathetic attempts to paint Corbyn as a danger to this country, when our Tory government is a serial supporter of Islamic extremism abroad, requires a sensible fact-based response. I would have avoided the issue otherwise, despite the Tories' glass jaw re: Syria, Libya and the source of 90% of global islamic fundamentalism, Wobbly May's masters in Riyadh.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Evidently the suicide bomber was a very regular user of cannabis..: hows that policy commitment again Mr Farron?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,357
    Morning all,

I took a day out of arguing about polls and bets yesterday. Didn't seem appropriate, as Mr Meeks pointed out. Better to reflect on life and loss.

But, eventually we go on. We must.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

Although the LibDems have no seats in the south west to experience "another hiding".
    Yes, but the betting markets expect alot of seats to be closish there. I don't.
  • Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299
    Tory roadside posters defaced around Ledbury with spray stencilled "LoL" on them but left in situ.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,895
    daodao said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT

murali_s said:
    RobD said:
    bobajobPB said:

"For crying out loud. I am on here dissing the boring, entitled, anti-meritocratic monarchy as "Britain's richest welfare recipients", from time to time. I guess you want to strap on the jack boots Rob and march me to the scaffold (at the Tower, naturally) ?

That's fine, but Abbott is in the record wishing for the defeat of the British, and victory for the IRA.
    FFS Does anyone take Abbott seriously? She's significantly out of her depth. Can't stand that woman!"

She is the official Opposition's candidate for Home Secretary, the person who would be in charge of those services charged with protecting us from events such as Manchester and Westminster and 7/7, agencies she has publicly sneered at.

I am not as sanguine as you are at that prospect, even if she is an idiot.

And it worries me that so many want to go soft on a party and its leader who think that this is at all acceptable. All this talk of good taste is cover for fear that the frankly childish and morally repulsive decisions made by the Labour party are going to have some light shed on them, not before time.

This isn't the the time for OTT attacks on the Labour front bench, who are unlikely to be elected to government. They are not evil people.

One thing to be noted about the perpetrator, like many terrorists in recent years - he was a cannabis user. The LD manifesto commitment to legalising marijuana is downright dangerous.
    Are you being ironic? If only we had a Timothy Leary extolling the virtues of 'Tuning- in turning- on and dropping out' maybe we wouldn't have to endure the excrucating sight of Trump and Netanyahu in a bear hug of self glorification because they would never have been voted in. Instead we took a different path and look where we are.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

Anyway, a break in campaigning means it's a lads nature trek on Dartmoor - and a pub lunch. Play nice, everybody.

My favorite form of lunch.
    My pub lunch will be in sunny Cheshunt though.

Don't fall in the pond after it....
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    HYUFD said:

JWisemann said:

Gaddafi sponsored Lockerbie and the IRA so hardly kept us safe either and Corbyn would be a recipe for lax border controls and an end to arstrikes on ISIS
    Have a look at twitter. Labour party members literally spinning rubbish about the whole thing being staged.

Under Corbyn, Labour deserve to be roundly thrashed.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Agreed.
    Yes I think it will be something like Tory 47% Labour 29% LD 9% SNP 4% UKIP 3% now
    But, but, look at the crowds for Jezza, look at the students flocking to his banner, look at the popularity of his policies etc etc...
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

Well, the pathetic attempts to paint Corbyn as a danger to this country, when our Tory government is a serial supporter of Islamic extremism abroad, requires a sensible fact-based response. I would have avoided the issue otherwise, despite the Tories' glass jaw re: Syria, Libya and the source of 90% of global islamic fundamentalism, Wobbly May's masters in Riyadh.
    "JWisemann" - Rarely has posters name been less appropriate.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,015
    Fat_Steve said:

If Don Brand is cautiously optimistic that Labour will do better than expected, it's not clear why. The scenarios on offer are better-than-expected Vs not-better and keep-Corbyn Vs lose-Corbyn. I don't think Don wants to keep Corbyn. But it's hard to see how you get rid of Corbyn (or an annointed successor ) without doing very badly in the election.

Agreed on the last point. I have real worries about Corbyn as a leader, for labour and the country I think he needs replacing, but there's actually a possibility he dies well enough that he will be subject to stay on, well enough the the gutless moderates don't split.
    timmo said:

timmo said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

There's not much more to say about this piece after @ydoethur's comprehensive demolition downthread but I will say this. May is not going to win a landslide. She has been shown in this campaign to have serious limitations as a politician, as a leader and as a PM. We have yet another leader who doesn't do the vision thing and who seems to have entered politics in the belief that she is a better manager than the other lot (which, of course, s

As for Labour their self indulgence in twice choosing a leader who is not fit to lead the country has come home to roost in the worst way imaginable. But May has will do better than they deserve. What they do after that will determine whether we have a vacancy for the role of alternative government.

Con ...... 371
    Lab ....... 196
    SNP ......... 49
    LibDem ... 12
    N.I. ......... 18
    Plaid ......... 3
    Greens ...... 1

Total ..... 650

Con Maj ... 92

Could well be. Thanks to some decent chances in Scotland they could still get to double figures, but it'll be touch and go.

I think David l has called the result correctly.
  • Options
    EXCL Labour tells branches election campaign 'likely' to be suspended till weekend

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/86189/excl-labour-tells-branches-election-campaign
  • Options
    timmo said:

Evidently the suicide bomber was a very regular user of cannabis..: hows that policy commitment again Mr Farron?

How many users of cannabis (about a third of the population have used it at some point) become suicide bombers? PB Tories are amazing at the mo.
  • Options
    Roger said:

DavidL said:

Can't disagree with any of that except I think she will get her landslide. I think Corbyn is spooking more people than you are imagining.
    What odd times when some on the right think the left is holding up reasonably and some on the left think it isn't.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

JWisemann said:

Have a look at twitter. Labour party members literally spinning rubbish about the whole thing being staged.

When Labour lose, we will hear tales of pencil marks on ballot papers being erased etc etc.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

Wobbly May's masters in Riyadh.
    Makes a change from 'the Jews'......
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Mr. Meeks, May's statements yesterday will stand her in good stead in that regard.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Agreed.
    The size of Conservative majority market is surely much more attractive than the Con seats market on Bf, right?
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

timmo said:

How many users of cannabis (about a third of the population have used it at some point) become suicide bombers? PB Tories are amazing at the mo.
    It can and does in some people cause psychosis though...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

The collapse and absence of UKIP Will hurt the libdems in West Country. They have benefited from immense tactical voting over the years, but that had also wound back at last election.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Agreed.
    But, but, look at the crowds for Jezza, look at the students flocking to his banner, look at the popularity of his policies etc etc...
    Yes, judging by the size of his crowd on Monday with Prescott he may even win Hull!
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    JWisemann said:

So, in amongst the typically revolting attempts by the PB Tories to politicise an atrocity

I'd bet good money you had that written before you read a word, or you'd know that the most disgusting comment came from Mark senor, who believes the pm's security detail is for some reason responsible for national intelligence gathering and security, and so the calling of the ge by parliament means she should resign as her travels for the campaign and their work protecting her directly contributed to the deaths of children.

Do people here go too far politically during tragic events? Of course they do. We're human, emotions flare. Should people refrain from considering discussing politics when tragedies occur, wary of drawing false equivalence? Reasonable people will differ on that, but I would argue while it goes too far, sometimes events are very politically relevant and distressing as it is there can be, not always is but can be, merit in confronting that, even when it is difficult. This despite accusations that raising it in anyway will be labelled as inappropriate even if it is not.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,424

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

The collapse and absence of UKIP Will hurt the libdems in West Country. They have benefited from immense tactical voting over the years, but that had also wound back at last election.
    You would however expect a good proportion of Labour voters to be more willing to vote tactically that in 2015 when the LDs were coming out of coalition.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

JWisemann said:

Labour members are a sea of conspiracy theorists, they spend more time on twitter than they do contacting voters in marginal seats
  • Options

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

Wobbly May's masters in Riyadh.
    Makes a change from 'the Jews'......
    The fact is that we really *are* running everything.

It's just that sometimes we get careless and people notice it.

There. Is. No. Jewish. Conspiracy.
  • Options

Mr. Meeks, May's statements yesterday will stand her in good stead in that regard.

Don't worry - Mr Meeks no doubt confidently expects a collapse in her poll ratings come the next round.....the voters have to 'get it right' eventually
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

Before the campaign suspension i heard that the LDs were putting most if their efforts in SW london into Twickenham...
    One activist told me that the problem for them is that the youth vote is almost exclusively going labour whereas in the past the yellow team would hoover up that cohort
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,895
    edited May 2017
    JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

That is true to the extent that supporting Saudi Arabia the biggest exporter of terrorism and the most shocking exponent of misogyny is at least as morally suspect as Corbyn's support for dubious organisations and much more dangerous
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

You would however expect a good proportion of Labour voters to be more willing to vote tactically that in 2015 when the LDs were coming out of coalition.
    The Labour vote in most southwest seats is below UKIP. Certainly most of the ones I've got money in.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

timmo said:

You think everyone is a pb Tory when you disagree with them.

And I'm a supporter of the LD cannabis policy.

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,128
    Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

A feature of 2015 was the secondary, and larger, collapse in the LibDem vote in seats they had lost in 2010. Even when those seats were in areas of traditional LibDem strength - Rochdale, Richmond Park, Harrogate, Hereford, SE Cornwall for example.

With the loss of tactical, incumbency and relevancy (nobody expects a hung parliament) votes we could see a similar secondary collapse in the seats the LibDems lost in 2015.
  • Options
    timmo said:

One activist told me that the problem for them is that the youth vote is almost exclusively going labour whereas in the past the yellow team would hoover up that cohort

And this makes any gains against the red team tricky too.

The one bet I think might be a value loser for me is Labour to hold Cambridge. Hopefully Huppert can scupper my tuppence ha'penny on the reds there.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    HYUFD said:

JWisemann said:

The RAF has made almost zero impact on ISIS. The Russian Air Force, the Syrian Army, and the SDF in Syria, and the Iraqi popular militias and IAF in Iraq have done 95% of the work. Notably, the Russian Air Force and Syrian Army would have already wiped out ISIS if it weren't for the other Islamic fundamentalist jihadis in the country sponsored by our Tory government and their friends in Riyadh and Doha.

Gaddafi's involvement in Lockerbie is still controversial (more likely Iran IMO), but anyway, he had long been 'rehabilitated'. Who posed a bigger threat to the UK in 2011, Gaddafi, or the islamic extremists that our Tory government helped to destroy the country and turn it into the terrorist paradise we see today (they tried to help a bunch of genocidal jihadi nutters destroy Syria too, but thankfully it looks like they failed)?

Face it, Weak & Wobbly May and her buddies have been the extremists' best friends over the last 7 years.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

Quite so. Quite optimistic visions were of the LDs getting close to 20 seats and essentially becoming competitive or strong seconds again in places like the SW. That doesn't look like happening.
  • Options
    Roger said:

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

That is true to the extent that supporting Saudi Arabia the biggest exporter of terrorism and the most shocking exponent of misogyny is at least as morally suspect as Corbyn's support for dubious organisations and much more dangerous
    Saudi planes are now bombing ISIS
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    timmo said:

JWisemann said:

timmo said:

Which is why it needs to be regulated - and you may as well tax it at the same time... The current issue is that dealers are growing stronger and stronger breeds all the time and the number of psychosis cases are increasing because of that.

Criminalising it hasn't worked, legalising it seems to be working in the States, so its time to do the same here...
  • Options

JWisemann said:

Well,some attempts are more revolting than others I guess, depending on if the poster likes the person doing it.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I wonder what qualities Mrs May has? She is difficult to pigeonhole, butd wasn't a great home secretary as far as I remember. But being bland on a grand scale is more than enough to beat Jezza. He has a few fanatical supporters and a great many who are horrified at the thought of him as PM.

Labour's only hope is that enough of their supporters vote Labour despite him. It only needs a rain shower or a good programme on TV for them to sit on their hands.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

But the inspiration for terrorism worldwide continues to flow out of saudi arabia, in the form of billions upon billions dollars' worth of resources to build mosques, madrassas, and surrounding infrastracture for the most, highly, conservative forms of islam.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

If you don't combat weeds early enough (or even accidently cultivate them) you end up with little choice in the end except carpet bombing the infestation...
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,902
    JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

If it were not for the West's one-sided support of Israel and Bush and Blair's unprovoked invasion of Iraq (with the enthusiastic support of the Tories), the world would almost certainly be a much safer place today. Grievance is the fuel of extremism.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    timmo said:

JWisemann said:

timmo said:

Paranoid psychosis is quite a common feature of chronic cannabis use, and there is a pattern of petty criminality and drug use amongst many jihadis and would be jihadis. Whether legalisation would make this worse or better is unclear.

I note that the bomber was UK born of parents given asylum as anti Gaddaffi exiles under a Tory government. The enemy of my enemy is often no friend at all.

• Options

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

If it were not for the West's one-sided support of Israel and Bush and Blair's unprovoked invasion of Iraq (with the enthusiastic support of the Tories), the world would almost certainly be a much safer place today. Grievance is the fuel of extremism.
    I'm far from a rightwinger, but radical islamism predates Bush and Blair.
  • Options
    eek said:

timmo said:

JWisemann said:

timmo said:

Which is why it needs to be regulated - and you may as well tax it at the same time... The current issue is that dealers are growing stronger and stronger breeds all the time and the number of psychosis cases are increasing because of that.

Criminalising it hasn't worked, legalising it seems to be working in the States, so its time to do the same here...
    "legalising it seems to be working in the States"

That's a very sweeping statement. Do you have any evidence for that?

The anecdata seems to split both ways according to source, prejudice and motivation.
  • Options

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

Yes, at a lowish level, primarily driven by the Israeli/Palestine situation. The Iraq invasion is what made it mainstream.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

Aren't they mostly bombing the Shia Houthi in Yemen?
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

When was the last time a leader failed to give a good statement in response to some disaster? Cameron managed it, so did Brown and Blair before him. Even Livingstone managed in after 7/7. I'm not convinced how relevant to good leadership being able to read out prepared speech is.
  • Options

timmo said:

JWisemann said:

timmo said:

Paranoid psychosis is quite a common feature of chronic cannabis use, and there is a pattern of petty criminality and drug use amongst many jihadis and would be jihadis. Whether legalisation would make this worse or better is unclear.

I note that the bomber was UK born of parents given asylum as anti Gaddaffi exiles under a Tory government. The enemy of my enemy is often no friend at all.

Correction - paranoid psychosis is a common feature of criminally grown cannabis with high levels of THC, rather than Cannabidiol. The forms of cannabis with high levels of THC, like "Skunk", boosted up and promoted on the black market, are a direct consequence of criminalisation.
  • Options
    Eleven months ago we were being treated to endless tweets about stock market prices.

I have suggested that with the stock markets now at record highs that that is boosting Conservative support with the increasing number of people with defined contributions pensions.

There will have been many people who have discovered this year that they are many thousands of pounds wealthier than they had previously thought.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

When was the last time a leader failed to give a good statement in response to some disaster? Cameron managed it, so did Brown and Blair before him. Even Livingstone managed in after 7/7. I'm not convinced how relevant to good leadership being able to read out prepared speech is.
    True. I suspect very little effect from tragedy generally. Unless this course of events escalates or continues for some long time, I'd say the same here.
  • Options

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

Yes, at a lowish level, primarily driven by the Israeli/Palestine situation. The Iraq invasion is what made it mainstream.
    Historically the PLO was a fairly secular nationalist movement, not primarily a religious one.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

Errr...remind me.. 9/11?
  • Options
    Rudd publicly not happy with Americans over leaks I see. Not surprised, they seem built like sieves.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

timmo said:

JWisemann said:

timmo said:

My guess is the Lib Dems would leagalise the not so strong stuff. But I think the corollary of that would be to clamp down hard on the illegal stuff that would continue to be sold.
  • Options
    Over in the US - Ossoff (D) is leading in Georgia 6th in one poll I saw.
    That was a very safe seat (61% R last time).

If that's​ in play then where else is?
  • Options
    edited May 2017

you mean blue to yellow?

Of course - brain fade.

My big thing in this election is that I cannot figure out where the Tories are coming from. They don't appear to be doing well in Wales or London. They cannot gain many seats across south or south west. The north West looks nailed on for Labour after mayorals. Scotland looks like increased vote share for little return. That leaves east and West Midlands and NE and Yorkshire. I cannot see where the big majority will come from in those areas.

Con ...... 351
    Lab ....... 220
    SNP ......... 49
    LibDem ... 8
    N.I. ......... 18
    Plaid ......... 3

Total ..... 650

Con Maj ... 51
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

Source? They may have bombed ISIS like once or something. Certainly an infinitesimal fraction of the damage they caused in their part in the organisation's rise in the first place. Their planes are more concerned with killing kids in Yemen, with the help of our Tory government (the Saudi intervention in Yemen has also allowed Islamic State and Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula to flourish, in some case in direct collaboration as de facto allies).
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

If it were not for the West's one-sided support of Israel
    Yes, appalling that the West supports the right of Israel to exist.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Mr. D, I agree with that, but the statement itself makes May appear more, er, strong and stable.

Mr. Enjineeya, Islamic terrorism predated the invasion of Iraq. If someone's hungry enough for a grievance, they'll find or invent one.
  • Options

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

Errr...remind me.. 9/11?
    Carried out by Saudis, from a base in Afghanistan. If only the US and UK administrations had restricted themselves to catching and dealing with the perpetrators rather than using it as an excuse to launch an unprovoked attack on an uninvolved country.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    timmo said:

Obviously the wrong sort of cannabis, the sort that the Lib Dem proposals are trying to stamp out.

How are the Tories doing in their war against drug-taking? I gather the situation just gets worse and worse. About time they adopted a proper policy, instead of just letting things drift.

Who was Home Secretary for the last six years?
  • Options

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

9/11 was "a lowish level"? Well, it's a view.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

timmo said:

JWisemann said:

timmo said:

My guess is the Lib Dems would leagalise the not so strong stuff. But I think the corollary of that would be to clamp down hard on the illegal stuff that would continue to be sold.
    Which would ultimately limit any effectiveness. The people on the 'harder stuff' are on it because it's harder, and they want to go full blotto rather than just get stoned.
  • Options
    GeoffHGeoffH Posts: 56
    CD13 said:

I wonder what qualities Mrs May has? She is difficult to pigeonhole, but wasn't a great home secretary as far as I remember

The Home Office is regarded as the graveyard of political ambition. There is no such thing as a 'great Home Secretary'.

Churchill and Callaghan survived their tenure but the rest can boast of very little thereafter.

• Options
    JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Agreed.
    Jack .... out of interest, what's your definition of a landslide .... 100+, 120+, 140+ ?
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

I'm sure I remember some large scale demonstration of islamic extremism prior to Iraq. If only I could remember...
  • Options

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

Errr...remind me.. 9/11?
    Carried out by Saudis, from a base in Afghanistan. If only the US and UK administrations had restricted themselves to catching and dealing with the perpetrators rather than using it as an excuse to launch an unprovoked attack on an uninvolved country.
    Oh yes, becuase it's 'so' easy to catch people which have an entire country to freely roam in and launch strikes from without actually invading it and going after people. Both Al-Qaida and the Taliban needed taking out, at source. You cannot have an openly operating terrorist nation.
  • Options

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Agreed.
    Jack .... out of interest, what's your definition of a landslide .... 100+, 120+, 140+ ?
    The conventional definition is 100, I thought?
  • Options
    I've seen some pretty stupid posts in my time, but calling 9/11 a 'lowish level' event is getting up there.
  • Options

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

Errr...remind me.. 9/11?
    Oh yes, becuase it's 'so' easy to catch people which have an entire country to freely roam in and launch strikes from without actually invading it and going after people. Both Al-Qaida and the Taliban needed taking out, at source. You cannot have an openly operating terrorist nation.
    So why have the Tory government been trying their best to create such things in Libya and Syria? (successfully in the former case, thankfully the latter looks increasingly unlikely now).
  • Options

you mean blue to yellow?

Of course - brain fade.

My big thing in this election is that I cannot figure out where the Tories are coming from. They don't appear to be doing well in Wales or London. They cannot gain many seats across south or south west. The north West looks nailed on for Labour after mayorals. Scotland looks like increased vote share for little return. That leaves east and West Midlands and NE and Yorkshire. I cannot see where the big majority will come from in those areas.

Con ...... 351
    Lab ....... 220
    SNP ......... 49
    LibDem ... 8
    N.I. ......... 18
    Plaid ......... 3

Total ..... 650

Con Maj ... 51

The Conservatives can gain quite a lot of seats in London and Wales on small swings.

And there's a lot more to North-West England than Liverpool and Manchester. Barrow, Blackpool S, Chester, Chorley, Copeland, Hyndburn and Workington for example. Plus various marginal within the two metropolitan counties.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

timmo said:

JWisemann said:

timmo said:

Which would ultimately limit any effectiveness. The people on the 'harder stuff' are on it because it's harder, and they want to go full blotto rather than just get stoned.
    Those will be a smaller proportion than those who would use it responsibly, were it legal, though, I suspect. I have known many cannabis users, and some would go down the route you suggest, but while therefore not being totally effective, I do think it would be much more effective generally than the present situation.
  • Options

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

Errr...remind me.. 9/11?
    Al-Qaida and the Taliban were operating in Iraq?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

timmo said:

JWisemann said:

timmo said:

The harder stuff has largely only come into being because of criminalisation ; the test would be of the how market for this would respond to legalisation. This appears to have worked in Portugal and Canada is trying some of the same direction.
  • Options

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

Errr...remind me.. 9/11?
    Did I mention Iraq?
  • Options

you mean blue to yellow?

Of course - brain fade.

Con ...... 351
    Lab ....... 220
    SNP ......... 49
    LibDem ... 8
    N.I. ......... 18
    Plaid ......... 3

Total ..... 650

Con Maj ... 51

The Conservatives can gain quite a lot of seats in London and Wales on small swings.

And there's a lot more to North-West England than Liverpool and Manchester. Barrow, Blackpool S, Chester, Chorley, Copeland, Hyndburn and Workington for example. Plus various marginal within the two metropolitan counties.
    The super pessimistic Uncut piece suggests via a crude model something like 90 losses, but frankly somewhere in the 170-200 total range looks more plausible than that, the upper end at the moment if the rise in polls is a, real, and b, not super badly distributed.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    GeoffH said:

CD13 said:

I wonder what qualities Mrs May has? She is difficult to pigeonhole, but wasn't a great home secretary as far as I remember

The Home Office is regarded as the graveyard of political ambition. There is no such thing as a 'great Home Secretary'.

Churchill and Callaghan survived their tenure but the rest can boast of very little thereafter.

Roy Jenkins was probably the last "great" Home Secretary.
  • Options

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

Errr...remind me.. 9/11?
    Did I mention Iraq?
    Iraq is the uninvolved country that I was referring to.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

I wonder what qualities Mrs May has? She is difficult to pigeonhole, butd wasn't a great home secretary as far as I remember. But being bland on a grand scale is more than enough to beat Jezza. He has a few fanatical supporters and a great many who are horrified at the thought of him as PM.

Labour's only hope is that enough of their supporters vote Labour despite him. It only needs a rain shower or a good programme on TV for them to sit on their hands.

I think the key question about this election is will Corbyn disliking labour supporters hold their nose and vote for him, sit on their hands and stay away, or vote for the enemy to get rid of him. I would love to see some specific polling on this.
This discussion has been closed.