Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Reports of 20 dead after what appears to be terrorist incident

Comments

• Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    JackW said:

The implications for the general election are stark.

I expect the Prime Minister to handle this outrage in a calm and measured fashion and yes this will play into the theme of "strong and stable leadership".

I expect Jezza to be politically eviscerated. There will be no hiding place for his equivocations on terrorism. One chink in the coming days and he is utterly done. Even if he managed to find a form of words that appear appropriate to this event, the damage from his previous statements will come back with a vengeance.

The general election is over for Jezza, even more so than it was before.

I don't think he will equivocate himself, but i think a fellow traveller will at some point as he has too.many stupid colleagues in stop the war etc.
    I don't want that to happen, but it will. This GE should be about policy, not terror attacks.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    saddo said:

Terrible thing to happen, all those poor parents and family members impacted by this.

There will be an impact on the election I think. Talking with my daughters late 20 year old friend the other day, for him and his friends, the IRA were old history, something he was taught about in school. Therefore Corbyn and McDonnell's IRA support was meaningless.

Given the last time Manchester was bombed was the IRA attacking the Armadale Centre in 1996 ithis event might just make him and others of his generation understand how disgraceful Corbyn and McDonnell were and are to support another terrorist organisation.

Stop the War is what will do for Corbyn on this. When you spend decades cosying up to people who wish Britain harm you end up with a lot of baggage.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,471
    JackW said:

I expect the Prime Minister to handle this outrage in a calm and measured fashion and yes this will play into the theme of "strong and stable leadership".

I expect Jezza to be politically eviscerated. There will be no hiding place for his equivocations on terrorism. One chink in the coming days and he is utterly done. Even if he managed to find a form of words that appear appropriate to this event, the damage from his previous statements will come back with a vengeance.

We can only hope you are wrong. It would not be healthy for our democracy for an election to be decided by one issue swamping and overwhelming all of the others. In this instance the security policies of the Conservatives failed to stop the attack; indeed from the preliminary details it is not clear how it could have been stopped.

It is nevertheless probably a good thing that the election never really looked like much of a contest to begin with.

Islamic terrorism and its associated 'cause' have no sympathisers within British politics, and never have.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,397
    I genuinely hope that Corbyn reflects the public mood and horror at this atrocity. It would be a victory of sorts for the bastards responsible if they succeeded in dividing us in that way.

I would like to think we would be resilient enough not to be overly influenced by this. But I doubt it.
  • Options

saddo said:

Terrible thing to happen, all those poor parents and family members impacted by this.

There will be an impact on the election I think. Talking with my daughters late 20 year old friend the other day, for him and his friends, the IRA were old history, something he was taught about in school. Therefore Corbyn and McDonnell's IRA support was meaningless.

Given the last time Manchester was bombed was the IRA attacking the Armadale Centre in 1996 ithis event might just make him and others of his generation understand how disgraceful Corbyn and McDonnell were and are to support another terrorist organisation.

Stop the War is what will do for Corbyn on this. When you spend decades cosying up to people who wish Britain harm you end up with a lot of baggage.

StW arose from opposition to the Iraq conflict, supported by Labour and Tory alike? The consequences of that war are at best arguable, but I don't feel like arguing it now.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    I think @JackW is right. It's difficult to think of another incident that would so reinforce the Conservative's campaign messages and amplify voters doubts about Corbyn. With the rest of the campaign will now have a radically different shape. That's before we know details of many of the victims and the terrorist attacker. Even with 19 dead those details matter in terms of public reaction and political narratives.

This is tragic in the sense I wish the attack never happened. However given it did it's hard to argue fitness to lead in a time of crisis isn't a valid election issue. It is. Labour members knew his track record when they elected him twice.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    edited May 2017
    IanB2 said:

JackW said:

We can only hope you are wrong. It would not be healthy for our democracy for an election to be decided by one issue swamping and overwhelming all of the others. In this instance the security policies of the Conservatives failed to stop the attack; indeed from the preliminary details it is not clear how it could have been stopped.

It is nevertheless probably a good thing that the election never really looked like much of a contest to begin with.

Islamic terrorism and its associated 'cause' have no sympathisers within British politics, and never have.

A lot of people that the Labour leader and those close to him have hung out with for years will be blaming the British state for last night's events. Nobody outside the evil fringe actively welcomes the murders that took place, but plenty on the far left and far right will be seeking to share the blame around. No-one asking us to be PM has links to the far right; one candidate, though, does have close, longstanding links to the far left. That is not something that can or should be skirted around. It is central to his credibility.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

I think @JackW is right. It's difficult to think of another incident that would so reinforce the Conservative's campaign messages and amplify voters doubts about Corbyn. With the rest of the campaign will now have a radically different shape. That's before we know details of many of the victims and the terrorist attacker. Even with 19 dead those details matter in terms of public reaction and political narratives.

This is tragic in the sense I wish the attack never happened. However given it did it's hard to argue fitness to lead in a time of crisis isn't a valid election issue. It is. Labour members knew his track record when they elected him twice.

May will probably focus on her long stint at the Home Office, which can actually now be used as a plus, rather than dodging awkward questions on immigration.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    JackW said:

Corbyn hasn't been Home Secretary and then PM.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    HaroldO said:

JackW said:

I don't think he will equivocate himself, but i think a fellow traveller will at some point as he has too.many stupid colleagues in stop the war etc.
    I don't want that to happen, but it will. This GE should be about policy, not terror attacks.
    Andrew Neil / Jezza BBC Leader Interviews - 26th May

AN - "Do you utterly condemn the Manchester Arena ISIS suicide bombing on Monday?"
    JC - "Of course I do ...."
    AN - Do you utterly condemn the Manchester Arndale bombing by the IRA in 1996?"
    JC - "Er ... we have to look at the context ....

Fade to black ....
  • Options
    JackW said:

HaroldO said:

JackW said:

AN - "Do you utterly condemn the Manchester Arena ISIS suicide bombing on Monday?"

Fade to black ....
    Then Neil digs up a quote where he didn't condemn it.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

IanB2 said:

JackW said:

A lot of people that the Labour leader and those close to him have hung out with for years will be blaming the British state for last night's events. Nobody outside the evil fringe actively welcomes the murders that took place, but plenty on the far left and far right will be seeking to share the blame around. No-one asking us to be PM has links to the far right; one candidate, though, does have close, longstanding links to the far left. That is not something that can or should be skirted around. It is central to his credibility.

As I said, there is a legitimate argument to be had about the consequences of our foreign policy, including the success or otherwise of our interventions since Iraq. But I don't feel like having it whilst parents are still unsure whether their children are alive. And none of that detracts from the responsibility of the individual who committed this atrocity, which is what I would expect all politicians to say.
  • Options

JackW said:

Corbyn hasn't been Home Secretary and then PM.
    If it is some lone but then its almost impossible to stop something like this.
  • Options
    RobD said:

JackW said:

HaroldO said:

JackW said:

Fade to black ....
    In the interview I heard yesterday, he did condemn it. The issue, if there is one, is that he was eager at the same time to condemn other violence as well.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

HaroldO said:

JackW said:

Fade to black ....
    In the interview I heard yesterday, he did condemn it. The issue, if there is one, is that he was eager at the same time to condemn other violence as well.
    Was thinking more of an historical one. Not hard to imagine, especially given things like this:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jeremy-corbyn-was-arrested-at-ira-demo-brighton-bomber-solidarity-protest-old-bailey-labour-gd3tnhmrt
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,732

This going to have a huge impact on the election. Labour are going to pay the price for offering up as our Prime Minister a guy who will be pilloried in coming days as the terrorists' friend.

How some people's first thoughts during incidents like this can be political is beyond me.

That your side were already nailed on to win the GE makes it even worse.
    Because it *is* political.

People who choose or have chosen to offer political support to groups seeking to use murderous campaigns as a political act take a political stance, and when they issue weasel words to cover their backsides they need to be held to account.

Last year it was only a very few hours before 'respected' commentators were out and about trying to link the murder of Jo Cox to the Brexit campaign.

I would put it that not discussing this politically is an unwitting insult to the memory of the victims of the bombing ... no matter who carried out the attack.

Yes ... hold a respectful silence. But we cannot stop the democratic process.
  • Options
    I think it is good for the Mayor of Manchester Mr Burnham to be involved; it is simply his job, just as it was for the Mayor of London in 2005. Nothing to see *there*.
  • Options
    MattW said:

This going to have a huge impact on the election. Labour are going to pay the price for offering up as our Prime Minister a guy who will be pilloried in coming days as the terrorists' friend.

How some people's first thoughts during incidents like this can be political is beyond me.

People who choose or have chosen to offer political support to groups seeking to use murderous campaigns as a political act take a political stance, and when they issue weasel words to cover their backsides they need to be held to account.

Last year it was only a very few hours before 'respected' commentators were out and about trying to link the murder of Jo Cox to the Brexit campaign.

I would put it that not discussing this politically is an unwitting insult to the memory of the victims of the bombing ... no matter who carried out the attack.

Thankfully, despite all the suggestions to the contrary at the time, it appears that the Jo Cox tragedy had no discernible effect on the referendum vote. Can you imagine the situation we would be in now if lots of people held the view that it had? We can only hope for the same regarding the GE.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207
    Oh dear, this is what I've feared for a long time now. As someone who attends football matches nearly every week, I've always said that the riskiest time is after the match. So much effort is made to searching those with tickets (and given the flares that get in, I'm not sure a great job is done).

But take a stadium like the Emirates. After the game there is nothing to stop someone walking up on to those bridges and causing carnage.
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

HaroldO said:

JackW said:

Fade to black ....
    Was thinking more of an historical one. Not hard to imagine, especially given things like this:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jeremy-corbyn-was-arrested-at-ira-demo-brighton-bomber-solidarity-protest-old-bailey-labour-gd3tnhmrt
    CNN have the 1996 bombing linked to this already, other outlets will follow.
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

HaroldO said:

JackW said:

Fade to black ....

And the terrorist violence was eventually solved by a Government talking to the terrorists whilst publicly insisting that it wouldn't, and by government acting to address underlying grievances whilst insisting we never give in to terrorists.

The trouble we face now is that there is no obvious equivalent political way we can approach the latest terrorist threat. But I dont see a military solution.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,403
    I had been wondering why Corbyn and Labour had been dead silent apart from one tweet.

However in fairness to them they may have taken the view that there was nothing more they could do at that time and it was better to be quiet (and if so, leaving aside that it looks bad politically it was the right thing to do on a human level).

In further fairness to Corbyn, he has said he condemns all bombings. I am in no doubt he will condemn this one. The issue arises because he has in the past supported the aims of and by extension the terrorists behind it. The further issue arises because he will ecquivocate and claim we must understand what the terrorist had done to be provoked.

I do hope the Conservatives do not seek to make political capital out of such an event and his response. That would be contemptible. The other thing it will be given Corbyn's penchant for digging massive holes is unnecessary.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

HaroldO said:

JackW said:

Fade to black ....

And the terrorist violence was eventually solved by a Government talking to the terrorists whilst publicly insisting that it wouldn't, and by government acting to address underlying grievances whilst insisting we never give in to terrorists.

The trouble we face now is that there is no obvious equivalent political way we can approach the latest terrorist threat. But I dont see a military solution.
    Why on earth was he protesting the trial? Was the trial unfair?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,788
    Published by The Sun - about half an hour before the Manchester bomb went off:

JEREMY Corbyn has “blood on his hands” for prolonging the IRA’s vicious campaign of violence, a former member of the terrorist group today claims.

Ex-IRA man Sean O’Callaghan lifts the lid from within on the key morale boost and legitimacy that the hard left Labour leader gave the Republican fighters.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3623934/ex-ira-killer-says-jeremy-corbyns-solidarity-encouraged-vicious-campaign-of-violence-and-without-his-support-terrorist-murders-and-torture-would-have-ended-much-earlier/
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

MattW said:

Thankfully, despite all the suggestions to the contrary at the time, it appears that the Jo Cox tragedy had no discernible effect on the referendum vote. Can you imagine the situation we would be in now if lots of people held the view that it had? We can only hope for the same regarding the GE.
    Not that it matters much (well, it does when you have the sort of money @pulpstar has on it!), but if there is a shift from Labour to the Tories in the polls, don't assume that it's real. The Jo Cox murder may have caused a shift to Remain in the polls, but not in the actual vote.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I had been wondering why Corbyn and Labour had been dead silent apart from one tweet.

However in fairness to them they may have taken the view that there was nothing more they could do at that time and it was better to be quiet (and if so, leaving aside that it looks bad politically it was the right thing to do on a human level).

In further fairness to Corbyn, he has said he condemns all bombings. I am in no doubt he will condemn this one. The issue arises because he has in the past supported the aims of and by extension the terrorists behind it. The further issue arises because he will ecquivocate and claim we must understand what the terrorist had done to be provoked.

I do hope the Conservatives do not seek to make political capital out of such an event and his response. That would be contemptible. The other thing it will be given Corbyn's penchant for digging massive holes is unnecessary.
    It will all be by proxy, the media and stop the war will scuffle.
  • Options
    I assume we'll have a speech from May sometimes after COBRA?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

HaroldO said:

JackW said:

Fade to black ....

The key difference was that the terrorists had realised their campaign was both failing and counterproductive so talks took place on the targets' terms. IS are not at the stage where we can do that yet.

Remember the key problem with Corbyn and the IRA was that whatever his views on their methods he wanted them to win - it wasn't a peace he wanted but a surrender. That may have been a tenable solution in NI failing all else, it is not with Daesh.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920
    tlg86 said:

Oh dear, this is what I've feared for a long time now. As someone who attends football matches nearly every week, I've always said that the riskiest time is after the match. So much effort is made to searching those with tickets (and given the flares that get in, I'm not sure a great job is done).

But take a stadium like the Emirates. After the game there is nothing to stop someone walking up on to those bridges and causing carnage.

Yes. The only solution would be to stagger departures massively?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

HaroldO said:

JackW said:

Fade to black ....

And by the military defeat of the Irish terrorists (which Corbyn opposed) - but which is much more difficult in this case.

I fear 'terrorism' will be with us always - there will always be an 'injustice' or 'insult' sociopaths believe its worth killing and dying for. The only way we can 'defeat' it is to carry on.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

extra security in areas close to exit routes is the obvious step,such as searching people hanging around in the minutes before a major event turns out. And insisting relatives or friends wait to meet people coming out at a distance from the stadium.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

HaroldO said:

JackW said:

Fade to black ....

And by the military defeat of the Irish terrorists (which Corbyn opposed) - but which is much more difficult in this case.

I fear 'terrorism' will be with us always - there will always be an 'injustice' or 'insult' sociopaths believe its worth killing and dying for. The only way we can 'defeat' it is to carry on.
    Agreed. And a key part of the 'carrying on' is to accept the legitimacy of different points of view even if we don't agree with them.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

At the least I'd like to see more security after the game. Perhaps there is and I don't see it. But due to funding cuts there are hardly any police outside the Emirates any more. Presumably that's because we're so middle class (contrast to police on Tottenham High Road at the NLD!).

But it certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to have a few cops at strategic locations around the ground looking for anyone behaving strangely.

I'm expecting heightened security at the Cup Final on Saturday.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    IanB2 said:

rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

extra security in areas close to exit routes is the obvious step,such as searching people hanging around in the minutes before a major event turns out.
    You can add layer upon layer of extra security - but we cannot secure every busy public space.

Intelligence is going to continue to be the main way of preventing attacks - the more we disrupt before it can happen, the safer we will be. We cannot rely on a relatively small number of security guards at big events to prevent evil people every time.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    RobD said:

Indeed. In Downing Street.

The Prime Minister will have the full panoply of government and state behind her in the coming week and more.

Jezza will have twitter and er ....
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    IanB2 said:

MattW said:

Not sure that there was *no* impact - perhaps a small % change or a difference in the majority. Unprovable one way or the other, however, I suspect. eg

"There has been a shift in public opinion following the death of MP Jo Cox, a new poll indicates.

A ComRes poll for the Sunday Mirror shows before Jo was shot, 45% of those surveyed said they would be ‘delighted’ if Britain left the EU.

But after the 41-year-old was shot at 2pm on Thursday, that figure dropped to 38% – with Remain getting a nine point increase in those saying they would be ‘delighted’ to stay in the EU.

The sample size is small as the tragic news came midway through the polling, with some answers coming back before it and some afterwards."

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/18/leave-and-remain-camps-neck-and-neck-in-latest-poll-5953294/#ixzz4hsSHoPdm

• Options
    MattW said:

IanB2 said:

MattW said:

Not sure that there was *no* impact - perhaps a small % change or a difference in the majority. Unprovable one way or the other, however, I suspect. eg

"There has been a shift in public opinion following the death of MP Jo Cox, a new poll indicates.

A ComRes poll for the Sunday Mirror shows before Jo was shot, 45% of those surveyed said they would be ‘delighted’ if Britain left the EU.

But after the 41-year-old was shot at 2pm on Thursday, that figure dropped to 38% – with Remain getting a nine point increase in those saying they would be ‘delighted’ to stay in the EU.

The sample size is small as the tragic news came midway through the polling, with some answers coming back before it and some afterwards."

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/18/leave-and-remain-camps-neck-and-neck-in-latest-poll-5953294/#ixzz4hsSHoPdm"

But it appears to have been knee-jerk, and by the time of the vote largely forgotten. In the intervening year I have never heard any suggestion that Leave would have won big had it not been for the tragedy.

We need the same to happen again. None of us should want a situation where a minority end up believing the election was decided as a consequence of an appalling incident like this.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

extra security in areas close to exit routes is the obvious step,such as searching people hanging around in the minutes before a major event turns out.
    You can add layer upon layer of extra security - but we cannot secure every busy public space.

Intelligence is going to continue to be the main way of preventing attacks - the more we disrupt before it can happen, the safer we will be. We cannot rely on a relatively small number of security guards at big events to prevent evil people every time.
    The problem is that the focus is on searching those entering events with tickets. Obviously a terrorist could get a ticket so no problem there. But after the event, the doors are open and anyone can walk in. That's the problem.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

No we can't. And what are we going to do, are we going to arm them all? And have them with weapons surrounded by the public? That is a recipe for further disasters. Intelligence is indeed the key but the more fragmented the terrorists become (and both Al Quaeda and ISIS are way more fragmented than they were) the harder it gets to spot the nutters.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    JackW said:

RobD said:

Indeed. In Downing Street.

The Prime Minister will have the full panoply of government and state behind her in the coming week and more.

Jezza will have twitter and er ....
    Strong and stable, when it matters (this now has to be caveated). I seem to recall her getting some praise for her speech after the Westminster attack.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

The problem is that the focus is on searching those entering events with tickets. Obviously a terrorist could get a ticket so no problem there. But after the event, the doors are open and anyone can walk in. That's the problem.
    But as far as we can tell, this incident took place in the foyer/lobby area - not the arena itself. And foyers are almost always open to the public - they contain the box office and often a coffee shop/bar.

I don't believe we want to expect to be searched going in to buy some tickets or to grab a coffee. The same goes for parents/partners waiting in the lobby to meet someone attending an event.

But if we do secure all those areas, the threat moves to the spaces immediately surrounding the entry points.

And if we then secure those public spaces, the threat moves to adjacent streets and transport hubs.

Yes, we need security - but we have to be realistic as to what that can achieve and be honest about the sort of society we want to live in.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    rcs1000 said:

Totally off topic, the Germans have today - for the first time since the creation of the Euro - acknowledged that low inflation has made it harder for peripheral countries to recover.

Guys, if you'd recognized this about seven years ago, an awful lot of human suffering might have been avoided.

Yes but the projet was more important than mere humans......
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Hard to disagree with @jackW on this. Was on PB last night. It is a shocking atrocity.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

Totally off topic, the Germans have today - for the first time since the creation of the Euro - acknowledged that low inflation has made it harder for peripheral countries to recover.

Guys, if you'd recognized this about seven years ago, an awful lot of human suffering might have been avoided.

Same applies to Brexit.....
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/BBCDanielS/status/866894998415003648

So possibly 'only' 18 victims, though as with other attacks the death toll may rise.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    How does a false flag suicide bombing get set up?

Perhaps Serbian Nationalists could have claimed that The Archduke was shot by terrorists in the pay of The Austro-Hungarians.

Have seen a couple of sympathy tweets claiming Mossad did it.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

those humane germans rejecting any debt relief for Greece until their election is out of the way

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/eurokrise/griechenland/griechenland-wolfgang-schaeuble-lehnt-schuldenschnitt-ab-15028080.html
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

HaroldO said:

JackW said:

Fade to black ....

The brutality of the "military" portion of the Northern Ireland process was quite startling. Not the time or the place to go into details.
  • Options
    Now 22 dead apparently.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

https://twitter.com/BBCDanielS/status/866894998415003648

So possibly 'only' 18 victims, though as with other attacks the death toll may rise.

However, if initial reports didn't realise it was a suicide bomber, that might explain why they were talking about 20 victims.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Now 22 dead apparently.

Is that people succumbing to injuries or is it people killed in the initial blast, do you know? (If confirmed.)
  • Options
    Death toll rises to 22, confirmation it was a male suicide bomber and that " Children " are among the dead.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Now 22 dead apparently.

Is that people succumbing to injuries or is it people killed in the initial blast, do you know? (If confirmed.)
    Don't know. The BBC indicating that some thought missing are now confirmed dead.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Jeeez. There aren't really words to describe what one wants to say. Awful just doesn't touch the surface.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    JackW said:

HaroldO said:

JackW said:

Fade to black ....
    It is almost like you come from the future and have brought us an exact transcript of what happened.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

HaroldO said:

JackW said:

Fade to black ....

The brutality of the "military" portion of the Northern Ireland process was quite startling. Not the time or the place to go into details.
    Yep. The essence of war is violence. Moderation in war is imbecility.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

surbiton said:

Y0kel said:

surbiton said:

Y0kel said:

Danny565 said:
    You are probably not aware that German language pro-IS forums were firing out joyful claims of a strike within a hour of the incident.

IS has official channels that have a track record. Only when they speak do you get certainty that they are as an organisation making a claim.

Well, these bastards have a month or two to go unless the American-Saudi sponsored units / Turkish units / Syrian-Russians fight amongst themselves.

Of course, nutcases who are prepared to kill themselves are difficult to control, once a "cause" as they see it is finished, their numbers will begin to come down. Until some other "cause" comes up.
    You completely fail to understand anything about IS then. They have organisational footholds in about 6 or 7 different countries outside of Syria and Iraq.

If you have nothing useful to bring, don't bring it.
    What bullshit are you talking about at this time ? You seem to be very well informed at times like this.
    Can't even read your own posts then.

These bastards as you call them don't have months at all. The idea that events in Iraq and Syria which you refer to will somehow crush IS is fanciful. If you paid any attention you'd know where they have set up camp & organisational infrastructure and you'd know they wont all die in Syria and Iraq, most will move on to other countries or come home.

Secondly they are not nutters at all. People who carry out mass casualty attacks successfully tend to plan, prepare and attack. They are perfectly capable at what they see as their required duty.

You fail to understand the enemy faced, both IS and the often forgotten Al Qaeda.
    IS is just the latest version. After their military defeat, their support base will conclude that they made mistakes - principally not being extreme enough. Their successor organisation will be worse.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

HaroldO said:

Fade to black ....

The key difference was that the terrorists had realised their campaign was both failing and counterproductive so talks took place on the targets' terms. IS are not at the stage where we can do that yet.

Remember the key problem with Corbyn and the IRA was that whatever his views on their methods he wanted them to win - it wasn't a peace he wanted but a surrender. That may have been a tenable solution in NI failing all else, it is not with Daesh.
    That's not completely true. The IRA had also learned that the most effective targets were economic and not military: Canary Wharf and the Baltic Exchange. For the first time, the Uk was under pressure from business, particularly in financial services, to come to a settlement.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Death toll rises to 22, confirmation it was a male suicide bomber and that " Children " are among the dead.

Yes, this was always likely given the concert.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

saddo said:

StW arose from opposition to the Iraq conflict, supported by Labour and Tory alike? The consequences of that war are at best arguable, but I don't feel like arguing it now.
    STW was set up 3 days after 9/11. Not in response to the Iraq war.

I would expect Corbyn to say the right things now. But some may note whom he is proposing for Home Secretary and what she has said about attacks on Britain and the intelligence services.

But, really, at this time my thoughts are with those killed and injured: children, for God's sake. It is utterly revolting and so so sad.

RIP and condolences to all those involved and a thank you to the emergency services.

I have family living in Manchester. My youngest is at the university there. He goes to concerts and clubs and festivals and football matches. One cannot live with one's heart in one's mouth every time your child goes out. My first thought on hearing the news last night was to check that he was OK. Unbearable to think of other parents looking for their children and not getting a good answer.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    edited May 2017
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

HaroldO said:

Fade to black ....

That's not completely true. The IRA had also learned that the most effective targets were economic and not military: Canary Wharf and the Baltic Exchange. For the first time, the Uk was under pressure from business, particularly in financial services, to come to a settlement.
    It would be fascinating to know which part of their core objective, vis, the slaughter of non-believers and the destruction of our entire way of life, people feel we should be prepared to give some ground on. ;)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Good morning.

Horrible news. Worrying in the sophistication of the attack. Needed more planning and support and therefore more noticeable than a rented truck or kitchen knife.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

There would still have been no settlement other than a United Ireland acceptable to the IRA without the Omagh bombing and the unravelling of public support. And the settlement might not have survived had it not been for the murder of Robert McCartney.

(Also, can I point out Canary Wharf was after peace talks had started?)

Realistically, what could we offer to Daesh? Nothing that they are interested in. They might settle for a united Islamic Palestine rather than a worldwide Islamic caliphate, but the Israelis would reduce the whole Middle East to a glass plain before even talking to Daesh.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Good morning.

Horrible news. Worrying in the sophistication of the attack. Needed more planning and support and therefore more noticeable than a rented truck or kitchen knife.

Depends on what explosive was used, surely? The Soho bombings were one nutcase in a garden shed with access to a library.
  • Options
    Jez's interview will now be delayed I suspect thus moving it from the less watched friday evening slot.
    The Tories are fortuitous the care clarification/u-turn was brought in seeing as the clock is now stopped.
    Anyway hopefully this won't change any voting intentions, I can't see it doing any harm to the incumbent mind.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Good morning.

Depends on what explosive was used, surely? The Soho bombings were one nutcase in a garden shed with access to a library.
    Whatever flavour it requires more organisation and contingent moving parts.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

HaroldO said:

And, behind the scenes, government was acting to address many of the grievances that gave the terrorists a support base in the community; a long-term programme to deal with issues such as housing allocation, local authority spending, democratic participation, etc. Credit to the politicians involved who recognised things are complicated and thst simplistic solutions weren't going to work.

Talking of which, I had a quick scan of last night's PB thread and am stunned to see a few posts along the lines of "now we need to ban the veil", made as the news was breaking. Idiotic responses like this we do not need.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

HaroldO said:

And, behind the scenes, government was acting to address many of the grievances that gave the terrorists a support base in the community; a long-term programme to deal with issues such as housing allocation, local authority spending, democratic participation, etc. Credit to the politicians involved who recognised things are complicated and thst simplistic solutions weren't going to work.

Talking of which, I had a quick scan of last night's PB thread and am stunned to see a few posts along the lines of "now we need to ban the veil", made as the news was breaking. Idiotic responses like this we do not need.
    And to complete the picture - most of the hardline opponents of a compromise in the Republican and Loyalist groups were dead. Often after being outed as "touts" by their own organisations. So the "bitter enders" were dead and/or discredited.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Good morning.

Whatever flavour it requires more organisation and contingent moving parts.
    One nutter could have done this - on his/her own.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Pulpstar said:

Jez's interview will now be delayed I suspect thus moving it from the less watched friday evening slot.
    The Tories are fortuitous the care clarification/u-turn was brought in seeing as the clock is now stopped.
    Anyway hopefully this won't change any voting intentions, I can't see it doing any harm to the incumbent mind.

I doubt it about Jez interview: only Tuesday today, and life goes on - and every disruption resulting from last night is victory of sorts for the bomber. 1 day suspension, then on we go.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

HaroldO said:

The Catholic community in Northern Ireland had genuine grievances. Had those been addressed from the start it is quite possible that the terrorist campaign would not have started or lasted as long as it did.

Daesh want an Islamic caliphate anywhere where there has been Islam. They want sharia law to rule and they want and believe that Islam should take over the world. They have a very particular view of what Islam should be and how they should copy Mohammed's example. See the recent Tom Holland documentary on Channel 4 - "ISIS - The Roots of Violence". There is no bargaining with such people. Just their complete defeat: militarily and ideologically.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Pulpstar said:

I doubt it about Jez interview: only Tuesday today, and life goes on - and every disruption resulting from last night is victory of sorts for the bomber. 1 day suspension, then on we go.
    I agree with that. It will be dominated by this of course but if he tried to postpone it (a) it would suggest terrorism is disrupting our democratic process and (b) it would give his many critics far too good an opportunity to say he's frightened of being quizzed about his record on terrorism.

The first is a compelling reason why the interview should go ahead. The second is sadly unavoidable in light of his past.
  • Options
    I have to get to work. I have a feeling it is going to be very subdued today. A number of my colleagues are from Manchester.

Pob bendith.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,429
    Dear God. Just woken to this news.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

HaroldO said:

JackW said:

Fade to black ....

Unfortunately, the rise in suicide bombers is closely linked to the rise in Islamic extremism. Whilst a religion promises Nirvana for sacrificing yourself for the 'cause' we will continue to see these atrocities
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pulpstar said:

I agree with that. It will be dominated by this of course but if he tried to postpone it (a) it would suggest terrorism is disrupting our democratic process and (b) it would give his many critics far too good an opportunity to say he's frightened of being quizzed about his record on terrorism.

The first is a compelling reason why the interview should go ahead. The second is sadly unavoidable in light of his past.
    There are more leaders than Corbyn and May in the game. I've not suggested Jeremy would suspend it unilaterally - more a consequence of natural scheduling drift. I'm not convinced its particularly fair to give whoever an interview today - imagine if it had been May, the schedule most certainly would have been punted forward as she'd be way too busy/distracted with COBRA to turn up.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

HaroldO said:

And the terrorist violerist threat. But I dont see a military solution.

me to a settlement.

The Catholic community in Northern Ireland had genuine grievances. Had those been addressed from the start it is quite possible that the terrorist campaign would not have started or lasted as long as it did.

Daesh want an Islamic caliphate anywhere where there has been Islam. They want sharia law to rule and they want and believe that Islam should take over the world. They have a very particular view of what Islam should be and how they should copy Mohammed's example. See the recent Tom Holland documentary on Channel 4 - "ISIS - The Roots of Violence". There is no bargaining with such people. Just their complete defeat: militarily and ideologically.
    Irish republicans saw (and see) themselves as maintaining an unbroken line from 1916 and before. It was not just that catholics couldn't get a job at Harland and Wolff. It was the desire for an independent, now united Ireland (as recently as yesterday you could hear Sinn Fein politicians articulate such a desire.

In the end, they lost, but many haven't stopped fighting.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

HaroldO said:

Absolutely there is no obvious route to a political solution, and no bargaining with such people. It doesn't necessarily follow from this however that military action will always make the situation better and never make it worse. Islamic terrorism is not based on organisation, but spreads like a virus based on perverted belief. Given previous incidents there is a reasonable probability that yesterday's criminal may well be local and probably had no links with ISIS operatives abroad.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Andrew Neil: Nuttall tonight then Farron, Sturgeon, Corbyn. Nuttall which I assume *will* be moved will be problematic for both him and Neil as to what is/isn't said.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    edited May 2017
    Hope nobody's been personally affected by this tragedy.

Edited extra bit: nobody here*, obviously.

Terrible day for those who have been.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Between this attack, and others of a similar nature such as the stade de france bomb in 2015, or even the Brussels airport attack, it seems terrorists have learnt to target the more vulnerable exteriors rather than trying to get inside past security. Hard to control against this. Perhaps the grounds around stadiums/airports/public arenas needs to also be cordoned off with security controls, before you can even approach the main building.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900
    Awful news. Thoughts with the victims and families.
  • Options

Hope nobody's been personally affected by this tragedy.

Someone on the previous thread/beginning of this thread posted about some of their family members being there. All accounted for, thankfully.
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359

Between this attack, and others of a similar nature such as the stade de france bomb in 2015, or even the Brussels airport attack, it seems terrorists have learnt to target the more vulnerable exteriors rather than trying to get inside past security. Hard to control against this. Perhaps the grounds around stadiums/airports/public arenas needs to also be cordoned off with security controls, before you can even approach the main building.

Bruce Schneier has written about this kind of thing - essentially any security checkpoint becomes a choke point where the animals can wrack up mass casualties.
  • Options
    Aaron has suspended the Tory campaign in Don Valley
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,350
    I struggle with how some people are speculating on the political ramifications of this. Some kids went to a concert and aren't coming home again. Others have suffered gratuitous injuries. This event is NOT something where "Corbyn's in trouble now" fantasies are appropriate. Or May's in trouble for that matter given that ISIS operate regardless of who is in power.

This isn't the IRA, and comparisons to that civil war are lazy. With ISIS there is no-one to negotiate with. No rational cause. No army to target. These suicide bombers are so often radicalised citizens of the state they then attack. There will be a solution to this, and that solution will be talking rather than bombing.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,522

In some countries there are security points on the outside of venues, before you even get into the lobby. Obviously this doesn't prevent someone who wants to attack directly outside the lobby so there are always soft points, sadly.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

HaroldO said:

Irish republicans saw (and see) themselves as maintaining an unbroken line from 1916 and before. It was not just that catholics couldn't get a job at Harland and Wolff. It was the desire for an independent, now united Ireland (as recently as yesterday you could hear Sinn Fein politicians articulate such a desire.

Yes, but that isn't the point. There was systematic discrimination in housing, schooling, employment; Northern Ireland didnt even have one-person one vote for local elections (voting being tied to property long after this had been abandoned in rUK) and boundaries were gerrymandered to ensure unionist dominance of local institutions. Policing was notoriously partisan, often violent, and a blind eye turned to the crimes of loyalist paramilitaries. Things were so bad in the 1960s that significant parts of the catholic population actually welcomed the arrival of the British Army, at least initially, in 1969.

The point I was making wasn't about the political aspirations of the terrorists themselves, but about the environment that enabled them to maintain a support base, of funding, assistance and future recruits. No terrorist organisation (as distinct from lone wolves) can exist without tacit support from a wider community. Without forced resolution of these grievances it would never have been possible to secure a political settlement.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Ah, okay. Thanks for that corrective statement @surbiton.
    MattW said:

As if our first thought at this tragic time should be about holding Corbyn to account - it should be about finding out who did this, and remembering the victims. Corbyn will be held to account by the voters who will ensure he won't get in - that was true yesterday, and it is true today.

I would say no, you cannot remember the victims while making this a party political debate not even twenty four hours after the event.

Also no one is suggesting stopping the democratic process. There will still be a GE.

The attempt to politicise Jo Cox's murder was out of line. That does not justify politicising last night's events.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. D, glad to hear they're ok :)
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,237

I struggle with how some people are speculating on the political ramifications of this. Some kids went to a concert and aren't coming home again. Others have suffered gratuitous injuries. This event is NOT something where "Corbyn's in trouble now" fantasies are appropriate. Or May's in trouble for that matter given that ISIS operate regardless of who is in power.

This isn't the IRA, and comparisons to that civil war are lazy. With ISIS there is no-one to negotiate with. No rational cause. No army to target. These suicide bombers are so often radicalised citizens of the state they then attack. There will be a solution to this, and that solution will be talking rather than bombing.

Well said.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,979
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

HaroldO said:

Yes, but that isn't the point. There was systematic discrimination in housing, schooling, employment; Northern Ireland didnt even have one-person one vote for local elections (voting being tied to property long after this had been abandoned in rUK) and boundaries were gerrymandered to ensure unionist dominance of local institutions. Policing was notoriously partisan, often violent, and a blind eye turned to the crimes of loyalist paramilitaries. Things were so bad in the 1960s that significant parts of the catholic population actually welcomed the arrival of the British Army, at least initially, in 1969.

The point I was making wasn't about the political aspirations of the terrorists themselves, but about the environment that enabled them to maintain a support base, of funding, assistance and future recruits. No terrorist organisation (as distinct from lone wolves) can exist without tacit support from a wider community. Without forced resolution of these grievances it would never have been possible to secure a political settlement.
    It tends to be forgotten now that the civil rights movement in Northern Ireland was almost totally successful in achieving reform, before the IRA campaign got going. The IRA's aim was to destroy the State, not to reform it.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Waking up to this news is horrific. Thoughts of course with all those affected. Sadly it will of course have an effect on the GE, much as we should always look never to bow to terrorism it always affects how we feel and react. That is unavoidable, natural and terribly sad. Right now is not the time to discuss those effects. I'm off for a small day procedure operation this morning, I hope you all find some comfort discussing this amongst friendly rivals and democrats on here today, and find that what unites us all is our desire to live free and unafraid.
  • Options
    Katie Hopkins calls for " a final solution " in response to Manchester.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

Well said.
    Yes, several last night also said/implied that they thought this wasn't a time for politics. This wasn't just an opinion only I held.
This discussion has been closed.