Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first post-referendum Premiership season ends with teams f

Comments

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Scott_P said:

Well, I just googled dementia tax, I didn’t get that.

I did. Top of the page
    Well, it clearly depends on other variables, as I didn’t

However, I did find an interesting booklet called the Dementia Tax by the Alzheimer’ Society. I didn’t know about it.

It is railing against the shabby treatment of dementia sufferers by an uncaring social policy devised by a cruel Government.

It was published in 2008.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    SeanT said:

Andrew said:

glw said:

You could have written much the same around 2005 or earlier about smartphones. There were people like me with smartphones, and PDAs before that, but we were few and far between. Then came the iPhone and Android and everything changed.

Yeah, I had one around 2004 iirc (an MDA Compact), and was on the internet in 1993 - saw the potential a long way ahead. Assistants are just shite though.
    lol. Look at the sales.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/03/10/alexa-could-be-amazons-next-big-winner.html

"RBC Capital Markets analyst Mark Mahaney thinks Alexa could be the next big thing for Amazon, potentially generating $10 billion in revenue by as soon as 2020."

Massive.
    "Potentially"
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited May 2017
    Extrapolate that for 3 weeks and you are well within "hung" parliament territory.

If you take Sunil's ELBOW, Labour has put on 7 points in 4 weeks. Tories 1.

Where are the recent Labour votes coming from ? The Tories, I suspect.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    bobajobPB said:

Hyufd

Norman "Stormin' Norman" Tebbitt would consider PB dangerously left wing

Yes, SeanT is a vegan Buddhist compared to Norm!
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    Scott_P said:
    I suggest it is a strategic mistake for Labour to try to make "Tax" the main subject of the election, given their ambitious spending and funding plans.

(And that is irrespective of the rights and wrongs of any parties' proposals for funding care of dementia sufferers)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

That's much better. Mrs Strong&Stable back on the front pages.
    The best way for the Tories to approach the Care Issue is for Theresa May to expend some of her undoubted mountain of personal capital with the voters. She has to go in to bat.

She is sticking by the policy because it is the fair thing to do. Yes, the new system is not perfect, and there will be some losers - some may not get the full level of inheritance they were hoping for. This will be looked at - and efforts made to minimise the impact where possible.

But the system will ensure couples are now able to pass on £200,000 of their wealth - up from £46,000. It will cure the iniquity of people being to forced to sell their property in their lifetime to cover the cost of their care bills. Yes, some of the wealthiest might have their net worth exposed to being used to meet the cost of their future care needs. We will look to ensuring there is an insurance to reduce that risk - perhaps a state-backed scheme where the premiums also come out
    Many will have heard scare stories about how their houses will be stolen. This is the lowest form of politics from people who should know better, but will resort to any low trick to grab your vote. Believe me when I say, we have looked at the alternatives, but what we have proposed is the fairest basis.
    Do you work in CCHQ ?
    Indeed where Grandma surviveswhat you wish by the Govt.
    Should this also apply if they own a £2M home? What value is acceptable?
    £2m .
    Not on IHT he is not,
    Indeed. The point being there is no safe haven for wealthy pensioners right now.
    Apart from UKIP, they want to abolish inheritance tax completely, oppose May's plans to make the home liable for personal care costs and would integrate the NHS and social care, want to keep the triple lock and full WFA payments and are firmly behind Brexit but I doubt any of that will stop Nuttall from losing over half his voters, especially pensioners
    UKIP voters can pat themselves on the back for a job well done. They can now head back to their old allegiances.
    They can and most will but if they are wealthy pensioners it could cost them
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Disraeli said:

Scott_P said:
    I suggest it is a strategic mistake for Labour to try to make "Tax" the main subject of the election, given their ambitious spending and funding plans.

(And that is irrespective of the rights and wrongs of any parties' proposals for funding care of dementia sufferers)
    So. How do Labour plan to subsidise the inheritances of the moderately wealthy ?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    glw said:

SeanT said:

It's very striking that Apple still haven't got their own home assistant on the market yet.

20 years ago, they would surely have been the pioneers here, first out of the blocks, in what is clearly going to be the groundbreaking personal tech of the future, the new smartphone, the next PC.

Instead, despite being the biggest tech company in the world, they are letting their rivals steal a march, and they might never catch up, even as they faff around with turkeys like the Apple Watch.

My pet theory is that Apple has boxed themselves into a corner with their whole "we don't look at or sell your data, you are the customer not a product" approach. It is very hard to do the sorts of things Google, Amazon, Facebook, and Microsoft are doing without "big data" to mine for training assistants, Apple has to try and do everything privately on the client device rather than with aggregated data in the cloud.

I suspect there are quite a few engineers at Apple who regret some of the public stances Apple has taken over the last few years.
    But they'll end up being right. There's a huge backlash coming over personal data, Apple is the one company that treats you as the customer rather than the product.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

My Nan had to move into a home, and her estate was totally cleaned out save for about 10k me and my brother got between us and a small bit to my parents I think.

Care home fees demolish your lives' hard work. That said the tax is a massive blunder. Thankfully Corbyn and the IRA seem to have jumped to BBC most read...

I think Dianne's comment is far more damaging:

[Ireland] is our struggle — every defeat of the British state is a victory for all of us. A defeat in Northern Ireland would be a defeat indeed.
    Bitch.
    And to think this woman could be in charge of this country's security in a few weeks' time.

A victory for Corbyn, Abbott and McDonnell would be a moral disaster.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,594
    edited May 2017
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

My Nan had to move into a home, and her estate was totally cleaned out save for about 10k me and my brother got between us and a small bit to my parents I think.

Care home fees demolish your lives' hard work. That said the tax is a massive blunder. Thankfully Corbyn and the IRA seem to have jumped to BBC most read...

[Ireland] is our struggle — every defeat of the British state is a victory for all of us. A defeat in Northern Ireland would be a defeat indeed.
    Bitch.
    And to think this woman could be in charge of this country's security in a few weeks' time.

I wonder if I'm headed for the shit show of an accumulator of Brexit, Trump, and a Corbyn led Labour party winning power all within 12 months?

Edit - Please Roger, don't reply with 'No' to this post.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Saltire said:
    Wow! Which sane political party attacks nurses?!
    Has anyone thought for a moment why is this Nurse going to food banks ? Scottish nurses are paid more than English nurses.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Bitch.

I wonder if I'm headed for the shit show of an accumulator of Brexit, Trump, and a Corbyn led Labour party winning power all within 12 months?

Edit - Please Roger, don't reply with 'No' to this post.
    I tell you, if that happens, I will give up politics altogether. My (Tory) friend predicted:

1. Brexit [ I couldn't stop laughing ]

2. Trump [ I thought he was insane ]

3. Corbyn - "because he comes across as honest" [ I will give up politics ]
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    Just to give an idea of how different the debate is here in Scotland and that it is not just the SNP talking about independence.

https://twitter.com/JamieRoss7/status/865171485794721792
  • Options
    Saltire said:
    The nurse in the clip doesn't mention foodbanks at all (In the 1:20 clip). Alex Hamilton-Cole needs to go and rewatch it.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    We need an outlier poll with Labour on 40% to really put the dead cat among the pigeons.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    I can't see anything in Labour's manifesto committing them to raise tax allowances for low paid or average workers. Have I missed it?

• Options
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

Saltire said:
    Wow! Which sane political party attacks nurses?!
    Has anyone thought for a moment why is this Nurse going to food banks ? Scottish nurses are paid more than English nurses.
    Where does she say she needs to use a foodbank ?

Both sides seem to have dreamt this up.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Scott_P said:

@andrewbensonf1: Ed Carpenter, last man, goes 2nd, so Alonso qualifies fifth on Indy 500 debut. For context, Mansell was eighth, in what was his fourth race

Amazing pace from Alonso. Starts fifth of 33 for his first ever oval race.
  • Options
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,822
    HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

Hyufd

Norman "Stormin' Norman" Tebbitt would consider PB dangerously left wing

Yes, SeanT is a vegan Buddhist compared to Norm!
    I wouldn't go that far - SeanT is quite capable of out-extreming our Norm from time to time - it's just the Tebbit is a true believer, unassailed by either doubt, or imagination.

• Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited May 2017
    SeanT said:
    Oh, don't get me wrong, they'll be everywhere. They're going to be in every mobile, TV, PC, car, even idiotic places like fridges.

They'll still be shite.
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    TSE

I'm starting to think May would be worse, than Corbyn. She is a provincial, curtain twitching, pious, meddler. She becomes more intolerable each passing day.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Pulpstar said:
    Tut tut, those tory drones are the worst..... why isn't it #1? :D
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

TSE

I'm starting to think May would be worse, than Corbyn. She is a provincial, curtain twitching, pious, meddler. She becomes more intolerable each passing day.

You'd certainly be in a minority of the electorate!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

@andrewbensonf1: Ed Carpenter, last man, goes 2nd, so Alonso qualifies fifth on Indy 500 debut. For context, Mansell was eighth, in what was his fourth race

Amazing pace from Alonso. Starts fifth of 33 for his first ever oval race.
    Mansell was a bit disappointing at Indy - but he did win the championship, as a rookie.

Alonso will need a fair slice of luck, but a win from him is not utterly inconceivable.

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

SeanT said:

Andrew said:

glw said:

You could have written much the same around 2005 or earlier about smartphones. There were people like me with smartphones, and PDAs before that, but we were few and far between. Then came the iPhone and Android and everything changed.

Yeah, I had one around 2004 iirc (an MDA Compact), and was on the internet in 1993 - saw the potential a long way ahead. Assistants are just shite though.
    lol. Look at the sales.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/03/10/alexa-could-be-amazons-next-big-winner.html

"RBC Capital Markets analyst Mark Mahaney thinks Alexa could be the next big thing for Amazon, potentially generating $10 billion in revenue by as soon as 2020."

Massive.
    "Potentially"
    Indeed. "Potentially" is just like "could" and "may". It actually means "won't".
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

TSE

For all of Theresa May's many many many many faults, she's no IRA sympathising apologist.

That alone make her exponentially a much better candidate to be Prime Minister than Corbyn.
  • Options
    RobD said:

bobajobPB said:

TSE

They are both seventeen layers of utter, rotten, dribbling shite. What has our nation done to deserve Mr & Mrs Twit as head of our two 'main' parties? Sophie Walker is the best party leader by a mile and she only has seven candidates.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Much that I have no fucking clue what the Tories were playing at with their manifesto, I am also extremely glad SeanT is a thriller writer and not a pilot....

With a different career path, I can just imagine at the first sign of turbulence, captain Knox will have strapped the parachute on and bailed out before the air hostess has finished the announcement that all passengers should return to their seats and fasten their seat belts.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    I wonder, who's made more money in predicting future consumer trends, PBers or Jeff Bezos.

Hmmmm....
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

TSE

For all of Theresa May's many many many many faults, she's no IRA sympathising apologist.

That alone make her exponentially a much better candidate to be Prime Minister than Corbyn.
    Taoiseach-in-waiting Leo Varadkar and Sinn Fein want special status for Northern Ireland to keep it in the EU. Does Theresa May have a position on this and shouldn't she tell us what it is?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,449
    bobajobPB said:

TSE

Evil Tories

versus

Evil Terrorist-supporting Labour
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    bobajobPB said:

RobD said:

bobajobPB said:

TSE

They are both seventeen layers of utter, rotten, dribbling shite. What has our nation done to deserve Mr & Mrs Twit as head of our two 'main' parties? Sophie Walker is the best party leader by a mile and she only has seven candidates.

Have dare you overlook, the Right (dis)honourable Prof Nutall, a giant in academia and on the football field...
  • Options
    Just did the Google test, and also got Tory rebuttal ad. Interestingly, I also found this doc from 2008, proving that Mason didn't coin the phrase after all (although he brought it to life as a meme).

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/download/downloads/id/411/dementia_tax_report.pdf
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    rcs1000 said:

I wonder, who's made more money in predicting future consumer trends, PBers or Jeff Bezos.

Hmmmm....

Wouldn't that require Amazon to make a profit? :D
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

TSE

And if only Jahadi Jez's issue was with being an IRA sympathizer....
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

TSE

A true race to the bottom.
  • Options
    The SNP nurse row on twitter seems to have gone as follows:

Nurse Clairey has a decent attack on the SNP. Does NOT mention needing to head to a foodbank.

Alex Hamilton-Cole adds the fact she is "forced to use foodbanks" into the row. She doesn't, he's dreamt it up - a quick perusal of her twitter would reveal this is a nonsense, but crucially she hasn't used this line herself. Her attack on the SNP about the pay demoralisation was entirely legitamate.

People start pointing out that her use of foodbanks is utter mince, because it is. But she hasn't said this in the first place, it's entirely made up by Alex so far as I can tell.

I'm not sure what Alex Hamilton-Cole is trying to play at here.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Hmmmm....

Haven't Amazon opened the taps and now coining in the readies?
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

RobD said:

bobajobPB said:

TSE

Have dare you overlook, the Right (dis)honourable Prof Nutall, a giant in academia and on the football field...
    I'm not qualfied to mention the exalted one.
    Deities defy classification.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Pulpstar said:

https://twitter.com/nippy_scotland/status/866421357965455361
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

TSE

Come back Ed....you were a bit of a plonker, not half as smart as you thought you were and were easily fooled by pseudo academic books (with dodgy evidence) that formed the key parts of your policies, but look what the leadership of the Labour Party has become...terrorist sympathizers, communists, Marxists, antisemites, holocaust deniers....
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,794
    I agree with most of the negativity here re Corbyn. But specifically on Brexit, which is what will be the dominant thing for the next parliament, I think Corbyn could do a better job than May. That's because he would probably delegate it to people in his party who somewhat know what they are doing.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

bobajobPB said:

TSE

Taoiseach-in-waiting Leo Varadkar and Sinn Fein want special status for Northern Ireland to keep it in the EU. Does Theresa May have a position on this and shouldn't she tell us what it is?
    Yes. No.

...would be likely.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Nurse Clairey has a decent attack on the SNP. Does NOT mention needing to head to a foodbank.

Alex Hamilton-Cole adds the fact she is "forced to use foodbanks" into the row. She doesn't, he's dreamt it up - a quick perusal of her twitter would reveal this is a nonsense, but crucially she hasn't used this line herself. Her attack on the SNP about the pay demoralisation was entirely legitamate.

People start pointing out that her use of foodbanks is utter mince, because it is. But she hasn't said this in the first place, it's entirely made up by Alex so far as I can tell.

I'm not sure what Alex Hamilton-Cole is trying to play at here.

He posted the wrong clip, here's the earlier bit of her talking about having to use foodbanks

https://twitter.com/DrScottThinks/status/866374306217021440
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    edited May 2017
    Looks like new poll in Metro:

Referring to a Survation:

Con 43
    Lab 34

Says Con -5, Lab +5

Bit confusing as Suvation/Mail on Sunday was 46/34 - but reported changes are close to the changes from the last Survation / Good Morning Britain which was 48/30.

http://news.sky.com/story/mondays-national-newspaper-front-pages-10888229
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Andrew said:

glw said:

lol. Look at the sales.

Massive.
    "Potentially"
    Get one. Try it. The sensation is like handling an early smartphone, or the first iPad, or even the first decent laptop. It's clumsy and glitchy and flawed, but above it all is a surging, melting feeling of OMGYES.

Of COURSE this is how we will interact with computers in the future. We will just talk to them, and tell them to organise our homes and lives. Amazon are the first in, and will reap rewards. Note in this piece that Apple are belatedly trying to catch up, but Amazon are already innovating further

"I believe that the Echo Show will become one of Amazon’s most successful Echo devices and at some point the most successful product Amazon has ever produced. Just last holiday season, the Echo Dot broke all sales records at Amazon. This demand will continue and expand as Moore’s Law pushes the retail price to $99 or lower in the next year."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2017/05/10/inside-the-amazon-echo-show-and-its-impact-on-the-voice-first-revolution/#2001738e6700

http://www.zdnet.com/article/forget-microsoft-and-google-apples-next-tech-arch-enemy-is-amazon/
    Got some way to go to be their most successful product - Amazon web services is doing about $12bn annual revenue and still growing rapidly.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
  • Options
    FF43 said:

I agree with most of the negativity here re Corbyn. But specifically on Brexit, which is what will be the dominant thing for the next parliament, I think Corbyn could do a better job than May. That's because he would probably delegate it to people in his party who somewhat know what they are doing.

That's wishful thinking...The Tories have some plonkers, but Labour "top team" is f##king horrendous and all but a few want to work with them. What they going to draft in more communists to do the work?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

That's probably true. Can you imagine trying to cut a deal with May? Stubborn, small-minded, self-important and nit-picky - not the type to have around the table with our continental friends.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @ajjenkins: A neighbour of the nurse from tonight's #leadersdebate says he's had a request to check her BINS to see where she shops. Oh my word!
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

TSE

Come back Ed....you were a bit of a plonker, not half as smart as you thought you were and were easily fooled by pseudo academic books (with dodgy evidence) that formed the key parts of your policies, but look what the leadership of the Labour Party has become...terrorist sympathizers, communists, Marxists, antisemites, holocaust deniers....
    I have a feeling Ed will be the man to wield the axe on June 9.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@ajjenkins: A neighbour of the nurse from tonight's #leadersdebate says he's had a request to check her BINS to see where she shops. Oh my word!

Police Scotland? :D
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    Corbyn had also opposed doing anything about ISIS and look at what Stop the War has said while he was in charge of it.

He simply cannot be trusted with the nation's security.

As for those worried about care costs, look at what McDonnrll proposes: a wealth tax, land tax and a financial transactions tax. That will destroy peoples' pensions, property and savings.

May is a bit meh. But those two are an utter menace to the security and economy of this country.
  • Options
    Google showed on some very cool tech at I/O a few days ago. Google Home is way way "smarter" than Amazon, including shortly being able to preempt things e.g. It looks at your schedule, monitors the traffic, realises the traffic is bad, so call out to you that you need to leave x minutes early i.e. now.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Con 43
    Lab 34

Says Con -5, Lab +5

Bit confusing as Suvation/Mail on Sunday was 46/34 - but reported changes are close to the changes from the last Survation / Good Morning Britain which was 48/30

Interesting, that would mean two polls with differing Tory scores (46/43) but similar Labour scores (34/34) over a similar period. Do you have a link to the article?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Joanna Cherry was wrong to circulate a smear about the participant on the show, but to give her credit she apologised quickly. As a lawyer she no doubt realised she was in deep water.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Corbyn had also opposed doing anything about ISIS and look at what Stop the War has said while he was in charge of it.

He simply cannot be trusted with the nation's security.

As for those worried about care costs, look at what McDonnrll proposes: a wealth tax, land tax and a financial transactions tax. That will destroy peoples' pensions, property and savings.

May is a bit meh. But those two are an utter menace to the security and economy of this country.

Theresa Meh.
  • Options

Google showed on some very cool tech at I/O a few days ago. Google Home is way way "smarter" than Amazon, including shortly being able to preempt things e.g. It looks at your schedule, monitors the traffic, realises the traffic is bad, so call out to you that you need to leave x minutes early i.e. now.

That already happens on my iPhone through Google Maps. It can be handy, although it assumes I drive everywhere.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    MikeL said:

Con 43
    Lab 34

Says Con -5, Lab +5

Bit confusing as Suvation/Mail on Sunday was 46/34 - but reported changes are close to the changes from the last Survation / Good Morning Britain which was 48/30.

• Options
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Hmmmm....

Yep.

https://www.recode.net/2017/4/27/15451726/amazon-q1-2017-earnings-profits-net-income-cash-flow-chart

Look at that revenue. $37 BILLION.
    Whoever decided they should go into cloud computing probably deserves a couple of bob as a bonus.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    RobD said:

That already happens on my iPhone through Google Maps. It can be handy, although it assumes I drive everywhere.
    Behind it is Waze...use that rather than Google Maps. Is an Israeli startup Google bought a while back. Way better tech then any sat nav.

The point is Google home is going to do a lot more of this preempt stuff. They also showed off things were it worked out who else was featured in photos and lets you either automatically send copies to certain people or notify you if you want to etc etc etc.
  • Options
    RobD said:

It's useless in London for that very reason. It's frequently quicker to walk to a meeting than drive (take a cab). Still a very long way to go until talking computers are anything more than just gimmickry.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Con 43
    Lab 34

Says Con -5, Lab +5

Ah, I see the link now.

I can't see any previous poll last week that had Con 48 and Lab 29. There was a YouGov/Times poll on 2nd May, but nothing else. Am I missing something??
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

Con 43
    Lab 34

Says Con -5, Lab +5

Bit confusing as Suvation/Mail on Sunday was 46/34 - but reported changes are close to the changes from the last Survation / Good Morning Britain which was 48/30

Interesting, that would mean two polls with differing Tory scores (46/43) but similar Labour scores (34/34) over a similar period. Do you have a link to the article?
    The Survation poll for the Mail on Sunday was an online poll whereas as the GMB polls are phone polls.

Edit - Both methodologies are UK wide polls, unlike most other polls which are GB wide.

To get a GB wide figure, I usually add 1% to the Con and Lab VI
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

FF43 said:

That's probably true. Can you imagine trying to cut a deal with May? Stubborn, small-minded, self-important and nit-picky - not the type to have around the table with our continental friends.
    I'm a very, very long way from being a fan of May, but I suspect she might prove quite an effective negotiator. What her priorities for negotiation might be is quite another matter.

Corbyn ? Just no.

• Options

RobD said:

MikeL said:

Con 43
    Lab 34

Says Con -5, Lab +5

The Survation poll for the Mail on Sunday was an online poll whereas as the GMB polls are phone polls.

Edit - Both methodologies are UK wide polls, unlike most other polls which are GB wide.

This is a third Survation poll? I'm confused...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,449

RobD said:

MikeL said:

Con 43
    Lab 34

Says Con -5, Lab +5

This one appears to be in The Metro
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

bobajobPB said:

FF43 said:

I'm a very, very long way from being a fan of May, but I suspect she might prove quite an effective negotiator. What her priorities for negotiation might be is quite another matter.

Corbyn ? Just no.

Corbyn would delegate (I hope!). Not that he has any chance of winning anyway!
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Hmmmm....

Yep.

https://www.recode.net/2017/4/27/15451726/amazon-q1-2017-earnings-profits-net-income-cash-flow-chart

Look at that revenue. $37 BILLION.
    Whoever decided they should go into cloud computing probably deserves a couple of bob as a bonus.
    Amazon are the new Apple, and Bezos is the new Jobs.
    They are shortly releasing tv's (made under licence) but with their Amazon Fire OS built in. Is way better than Apple Tv.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I'm confused...

I think we all are.

No idea on that SNP/nurse row tbh now.
  • Options
    I believe the Survation poll for GMB was conducted Friday and Saturday.

But DON'T quote me on that
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900
    edited May 2017
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

Con 43
    Lab 34

Says Con -5, Lab +5

Ah, I see the link now.

I can't see any previous poll last week that had Con 48 and Lab 29. There was a YouGov/Times poll on 2nd May, but nothing else. Am I missing something??
    It's tomorrow's Survation for Good Morning Britain 18% lead now 9%
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Hmmmm....

There's an interesting point there. Bezos has become one of the world's richest men by perpetually delaying the profitability of Amazon. He has chosen growth over profit at every step of the way.

I'm involved with a bunch of businesses, and what usually happens is that - when the business is small - people are happy to forgo profits for growth. Then, suddenly, you make a couple of million quid in sales, and loss aversions starts to kick in. Management had nothing, and now their stake is worth a million quid. They start fearing losing that million quid, and they start worrying about turning a profit rather than driving the top line.

Those who become billionaires: they're the people who repeatedly say this is not enough, let's drive this hard. Those people are incredibly exciting to work with.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

bobajobPB said:

FF43 said:

Corbyn ? Just no.

Unfortunately there is zero evidence to suggest Theresa May will deliver a good result. She will of course continue to the PM after the election with an increased majority, possibly a very large one. We have to hope she will surprise us. She's all we have got.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

Con 43
    Lab 34

Says Con -5, Lab +5

There was a Survation Phone poll for GMB last Monday

There was a Survation online poll for the Mail on Sunday publishes yesterday

Looks like there's a new Survation PHONE poll out for GMB now which the Metro have covered

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/866392133200228354
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

Con 43
    Lab 34

Says Con -5, Lab +5

There was a Survation Phone poll for GMB last Monday

There was a Survation online poll for the Mail on Sunday publishes yesterday

Looks like there's a new Survation PHONE poll out for GMB now which the Metro have covered

Clear as mud. :D But okay
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    SeanT said:

GeoffM said:

SeanT said:

Andrew said:

glw said:

lol. Look at the sales.

Massive.
    "Potentially"
    Indeed. "Potentially" is just like "could" and "may". It actually means "won't".
    Amazon have ALREADY generated TWO billion in revenue from the Echo. And sales are doubling roughly every 9 months.

TEN billion is therefore, probably, on the conservative side.

Google (and, soon, Apple) would not have entered this market to compete with Amazon if they did not think it was - potentially - enormously profitable. It is clearly the future, and anyone who disagrees is a fule.
    Actually Google would have. While it's entirely possible that this will be the Next Big Thing it has been Google's method for years now to keep its finger in as many pies as possible so that it doesn't miss out on the next big thing and it develops its cutting edge technology through as many fields as possible.

For every Apple Watch there's been a Google Glass.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Nigelb said:

bobajobPB said:

FF43 said:

Corbyn ? Just no.

To someone far better than May.

Keri Starmer
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

Nigelb said:

bobajobPB said:

FF43 said:

Corbyn ? Just no.

Keri Starmer
    I reckon Ed Miliband would beat Mrs May in a general election.
  • Options
    I've just got an embargoed copy of the Survation/GMB poll
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

Nigelb said:

bobajobPB said:

FF43 said:

Corbyn ? Just no.

Keri Starmer
    I reckon Ed Miliband would beat Mrs May in a general election.
    TMICIPM
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Oh, and the embargo ended at 00.01 but I'm so tired, I really should go to bed.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited May 2017
    Did Kezia Dugdale really say in tonight's debate that Labour will make the most effective opposition to the Tories, as BBC Radio 4 just reported, with the implication that that's a reason to vote Labour? That's not what I'd call inspired leadership.
  • Options
    Following a week in which the main parties officially unveiled their election manifestos, the Conservative lead over Labour has halved from 18% to 9%, according to a new Survation telephone poll on behalf of Good Morning Britain. More can be found here.

Headline voting intention results (change from Survation/GMB May 15th)

CON 43% (-5); LAB 34% (+5); LD 8% (NC); UKIP 4% (NC); Others 10% (-1)

Survation interviewed 1,034 UK residents aged 18+ using a combination of demographically pre-balanced mobile and landline data, conducting fieldwork 19th-20th of May. Survation is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules.
  • Options

Please post your vital signs so we can infer the figures.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

bobajobPB said:

RobD said:

It's useless in London for that very reason. It's frequently quicker to walk to a meeting than drive (take a cab). Still a very long way to go until talking computers are anything more than just gimmickry.

They're already beyond gimmickry. They just *feel* right. It's basically HAL from Kubrick's 2001, only better. It's one of those moments - like mobile phones - when the future just arrives, suddenly, in your hand and in your home.

Being able to set an alarm with one sentence when you're shagged out and flopping into bed, and can't be bothered to faff about with clocks or gadgets, is almost worth it in itself. The assistant responds warmly, and soothingly. It cocoons you, then wakes you, with your favourite music. It says Hello. And that is one in about a million applications.

Another point: these things are relatively cheap (and will only get cheaper). It's not £800 for a new iPad or £1900 for a Macbook, it's £129 for Google Home. Most people will be able to afford them.

Sean - I will have to take your word for it: I haven't actually tried one. But now, bed.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/866432743999254528
  • Options
    Cyan said:

Did Kezia Dugdale really say in tonight's debate that Labour will make the most effective opposition to the Tories, as BBC Radio 4 just reported, with the implication that that's a reason to vote Labour? That's not what I'd call inspired leadership.

She really is shut isn't she
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited May 2017

Neil Henderson @hendopolis on Twitter:

METRO: Tories target Corbyn after polls setback #tomorrowspaperstoday
    9:35 PM - 21 May 2017

Tory strategy is skewer Corbyn - he's insufficiently respectful to monarch and army.

FFS, Labour, chuck "the nasty party" back in the witch's face! In war, you concentrate your forces on the enemy's weakest point.

Attack the traditional, ultra-arrogant, privately-schooled, right-wing power structure in this country. How hard can that be?
  • Options
    I've post the details of the Survation email at

12.17 and 12.18 am.

G'night all
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/866432743999254528
    I hope Nick Timothy and Theresa May are feeling proud of themselves, as they look at these polls.

MORONS.
    Baxtered that gives a Con Majority of just 52.

Ouch.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

GeoffM said:

SeanT said:

Andrew said:

glw said:

lol. Look at the sales.

Massive.
    "Potentially"
    Amazon have ALREADY generated TWO billion in revenue from the Echo. And sales are doubling roughly every 9 months.

TEN billion is therefore, probably, on the conservative side.

Google (and, soon, Apple) would not have entered this market to compete with Amazon if they did not think it was - potentially - enormously profitable. It is clearly the future, and anyone who disagrees is a fule.
    Actually Google would have. While it's entirely possible that this will be the Next Big Thing it has been Google's method for years now to keep its finger in as many pies as possible so that it doesn't miss out on the next big thing and it develops its cutting edge technology through as many fields as possible.

For every Apple Watch there's been a Google Glass.
    They are, very definitely, the Next Big Thing.
    I think where Amazon have the edge over Google is that they have always been more focused on the tangible world rather than the virtual world. It's much more useful to have an assistant that can bring you things and do things for you rather than just serve up information that's increasingly ubiquitous anyway.
  • Options
    I take no pleasure in being proved right about Theresa May being crap.

She should be begging for Osborne's help right now.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

Tory strategy is skewer Corbyn - he's insufficiently respectful to monarch and army.

FFS, Labour, chuck "the nasty party" back in the witch's face!
    The Tories really think the IRA is top of people's worry list when they are having their NHS and school funding cut and now their houses stolen by Mrs Evil
This discussion has been closed.